Build You Own (BYO) TV Stand - Page 49 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 19Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1441 of 1451 Old 02-18-2015, 04:48 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by climber07 View Post
It took me days to find good pieces at two different Lowe's and three Home Depots.

Quality hardwood is hard to find. Quality hardwood plywood is even harder to find. I went through about 60 sheets to find five good ones.
When I was almost done I found a place in San Diego called Frost Hardwood, the sell to the public but are more for the cabinet makers. Their 3/4" oak looked 100 times better than the junk Lowes sells. The guy gave me the nickle tour and all their wood product was perfect. I went through over 30 1X2 looking for strait ones at Lowes and Home Depot. Frost only had strait ones. The price for my total build would have been $50 more but the quality would have been worth it. Next build I am buying there.
climber07 likes this.
mrloren is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1442 of 1451 Old 02-18-2015, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
climber07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,921
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 1117
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrloren View Post
When I was almost done I found a place in San Diego called Frost Hardwood, the sell to the public but are more for the cabinet makers. Their 3/4" oak looked 100 times better than the junk Lowes sells. The guy gave me the nickle tour and all their wood product was perfect. I went through over 30 1X2 looking for strait ones at Lowes and Home Depot. Frost only had strait ones. The price for my total build would have been $50 more but the quality would have been worth it. Next build I am buying there.
I'm just up the highway near Temecula. I may have to give them a visit.

Onkyo TX-NR3009 - Emotiva XPA-2 300 WPC - Polk Audio RTiA9 Mains - CSiA6 Center - F/XiA6 Surrounds - Dual PSA XV-15se Subwoofers - Epson 5030UB Projector - Monoprice Multi-format 106" HD Gray screen - Samsung BD-F5900 3D Bluray - WDTV Live HD Media Player with 6TB External Storage - Nintendo Wii - XBox 360 - Logitech Harmony One, and custom DIY media console...
climber07 is offline  
post #1443 of 1451 Old 02-18-2015, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bluer101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,473
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 162
The Home Depot by me had pretty good 1x2's. Everyone I had to check out for warps though. As for the 3/4 oak ply I use Home Depot. The brand I looked for was pure bond. They are pretty good very very little issues.
bluer101 is offline  
post #1444 of 1451 Old 02-18-2015, 05:04 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCallas View Post
Finally done - here are a few before all the speakers and everything was put back into place - the laminate top is slightly bowed on the ends - I will have to flatten it out, but I'm just enjoying it for the time being.
Gorgeous!
gk14 is online now  
post #1445 of 1451 Old 02-18-2015, 08:27 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluer101 View Post
The Home Depot by me had pretty good 1x2's. Everyone I had to check out for warps though. As for the 3/4 oak ply I use Home Depot. The brand I looked for was pure bond. They are pretty good very very little issues.
I looked at Home Depot in Eastlake Chula Vista, The guy got pissed when I went through the stack so I went to another Home Depot and even the sales guy admited that the wood was not that good. At Lowes the wood looked good till I hit it with 220 san a little. The veneer was paper thin and it splintered even with new DeWalt finishing blades.

Your build is so much nicer than mine even though mine turned out OK. I did learn a lot and will retry over the summer if I have the money to drop another $400 into it. One thing is I have never done finish woodwork before. I was a framer in high school and college. I am going to look at the JC's for woodworking classes.
mrloren is offline  
post #1446 of 1451 Old 02-19-2015, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bluer101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,473
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrloren View Post
I looked at Home Depot in Eastlake Chula Vista, The guy got pissed when I went through the stack so I went to another Home Depot and even the sales guy admited that the wood was not that good. At Lowes the wood looked good till I hit it with 220 san a little. The veneer was paper thin and it splintered even with new DeWalt finishing blades.

Your build is so much nicer than mine even though mine turned out OK. I did learn a lot and will retry over the summer if I have the money to drop another $400 into it. One thing is I have never done finish woodwork before. I was a framer in high school and college. I am going to look at the JC's for woodworking classes.
This was my first big finished project with detail. As for cutting the laminated ply I scored the cut first with a utility knife. Also all cuts we upside down depending on table or skill saw. You want the unfinished or bad side on the exit of the blade incase splintering happens.
bluer101 is offline  
post #1447 of 1451 Old 02-20-2015, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member
 
billybobg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Francis Utah
Posts: 757
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 31
First. I'd report any employee at Home Depot or Lowes who showed displeasure with me trying to find decent wood. Fact is, they should be helping you. On the other side, since it's convenient and usually a reasonable price you can sometimes figure out if you can cut around flaws. Not the best answer, but if a sheet is decent and I know the dimensions can be cut within the "good" wood then it's a choice I can live with. YMMV.
Second. If you're in or near a many major city, see if you have a MacBeath (sp?) Hardwood. They also have sheet goods. There are a lot of sellers to cabinet shops that will sell to the public. I've done this with hardwood, but not sheet goods. I've also gone to a local cabinet shop and ask them to add my order to theirs as I live outside of town and a delivery to my house could cost a bit. As the cabinet shop orders in bulk they are not charged for the delivery. It pads their order and I get delivery up the mountain.
Finally. Online sellers are usually willing to assure that their products will be decent. Being able to check grain, etc can be a limitation, so take that into account. Talking to the person who is selecting your order and telling them what you're building and they often will take some care in selecting your order. I have not done this as I'm bit skeptical that the shipper will take care not to damage the edges.
billybobg is offline  
post #1448 of 1451 Old 02-20-2015, 05:20 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I didn't know about the hardwood store till it was to late, now I will be only be buying cabinet grade wood from them. Cheap plywood with a very thin veneer splinters good plywood with a thick veneer does not as log as a good blade is used.


As for the employees at Lowes and Home Depot here in SoCal, they just don't care. Their customer service has been going down hill for the last 10 years. Good luck getting any help.
mrloren is offline  
post #1449 of 1451 Old 02-21-2015, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
climber07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,921
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 1117
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrloren View Post
I didn't know about the hardwood store till it was to late, now I will be only be buying cabinet grade wood from them. Cheap plywood with a very thin veneer splinters good plywood with a thick veneer does not as log as a good blade is used.


As for the employees at Lowes and Home Depot here in SoCal, they just don't care. Their customer service has been going down hill for the last 10 years. Good luck getting any help.
I just realized that Frost Hardwoods is on Miramar Road. Cool beans.
climber07 is offline  
post #1450 of 1451 Old 02-24-2015, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
climber07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,921
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 1117
Just stopped by Frost Hardwoods near Miramar today. All I have to say is daaang. They have everything. Woods that I've never even heard of. If you need it they have it. If they don't have it, they'll order it for you.

Onkyo TX-NR3009 - Emotiva XPA-2 300 WPC - Polk Audio RTiA9 Mains - CSiA6 Center - F/XiA6 Surrounds - Dual PSA XV-15se Subwoofers - Epson 5030UB Projector - Monoprice Multi-format 106" HD Gray screen - Samsung BD-F5900 3D Bluray - WDTV Live HD Media Player with 6TB External Storage - Nintendo Wii - XBox 360 - Logitech Harmony One, and custom DIY media console...
climber07 is offline  
post #1451 of 1451 Old 03-01-2015, 08:24 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by climber07 View Post
Just stopped by Frost Hardwoods near Miramar today. All I have to say is daaang. They have everything. Woods that I've never even heard of. If you need it they have it. If they don't have it, they'll order it for you.


When I went there they were slow so the guy gave me the tour, a little more pricy but worth it. Just picked up a Miter saw yesterday, almost ready to start the build for my son's room.
climber07 likes this.
mrloren is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Rear Projection Units



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off