Build You Own (BYO) TV Stand - Page 50 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 30Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1471 of 1484 Old 01-07-2017, 01:31 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrloren View Post
If you're close to SoCal I can do it for you.
I'm almost as far away from SoCal as you can get in the continental US.
spedster is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1472 of 1484 Old 01-09-2017, 05:14 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by climber07 View Post
Not bad stuff. I like Deft waterborne Acrylic better, $40 a gallon @ Home Depot. The best I have used is General Finishes High Performance, that is also very costly.
mrloren is offline  
post #1473 of 1484 Old 01-09-2017, 05:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
climber07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,429
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrloren View Post
Not bad stuff. I like Deft waterborne Acrylic better, $40 a gallon @ Home Depot. The best I have used is General Finishes High Performance, that is also very costly.
Did you apply with a spray gun, or brush/sponge? I want to make a portable paint booth...

Power Sound Audio S7201 Quad 18" 4000W Sealed Subwoofer - Onkyo TX-NR3009 - Emotiva XPA-2 300 WPC - Polk Audio RTiA9 Mains - CSiA6 Center - F/XiA6 Surrounds - Epson 5030UB Projector - Multi-format 106" HD Gray screen - Samsung BD-F5900 3D Bluray - WDTV Live HD Media Player with 6TB External Storage - Nintendo Wii - XBox 360 - - XBox One S - Logitech Harmony One, and custom DIY media console...
climber07 is online now  
 
post #1474 of 1484 Old 01-09-2017, 07:25 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by climber07 View Post
Did you apply with a spray gun, or brush/sponge? I want to make a portable paint booth...
foam brush, I wish I had the space to make a spray booth.

I used the Deft on my recent TV stand build. good stuff to work with. no brush marks or bubbles. I was dead set on Minwax Polycrylic till a cabinet maker told me to get the Deft. $10 a gallon less and much better.
mrloren is offline  
post #1475 of 1484 Old 01-09-2017, 07:26 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by spedster View Post
I'm almost as far away from SoCal as you can get in the continental US.
bummer
mrloren is offline  
post #1476 of 1484 Old 01-10-2017, 07:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
climber07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,429
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrloren View Post
foam brush, I wish I had the space to make a spray booth.

I used the Deft on my recent TV stand build. good stuff to work with. no brush marks or bubbles. I was dead set on Minwax Polycrylic till a cabinet maker told me to get the Deft. $10 a gallon less and much better.
That's what I used as well. I was thinking of making a "paint booth" with plastic sheets, PVC, and bungee cords.

After completion I realized that the Poly was so hard that a buffer and compound would work to remove or smooth out anything the brush left behind. I got lucky when I applied the poly, I poured it in the middle and spread it out, cleaning up the edges if it dripped.

Power Sound Audio S7201 Quad 18" 4000W Sealed Subwoofer - Onkyo TX-NR3009 - Emotiva XPA-2 300 WPC - Polk Audio RTiA9 Mains - CSiA6 Center - F/XiA6 Surrounds - Epson 5030UB Projector - Multi-format 106" HD Gray screen - Samsung BD-F5900 3D Bluray - WDTV Live HD Media Player with 6TB External Storage - Nintendo Wii - XBox 360 - - XBox One S - Logitech Harmony One, and custom DIY media console...
climber07 is online now  
post #1477 of 1484 Old 01-10-2017, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bluer101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,845
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 293
I applied mine with gloves and shop rags. It allowed me to get the stain into the oak better. Also applied the Polly the same way.

Projector & Screen: Epson 5040ub Elite Screens 100" Electric Video: Oppo 103d Audio: Denon 4520ci Speakers: Infinity RS5 (LW L C R RW) Infinity RS1 (LH RH) Infinity Beta ES250 (SL SR) Subwoofers: 2 SI18d4 Martycubes with iNuke3000dsp and 2 Infinity BU120 Shakers: 4 ADX shakers with Dayton SA230 amp

My Builds--Media console build----Martycube build----ADX Bass Shaker Install
bluer101 is offline  
post #1478 of 1484 Old 01-10-2017, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
climber07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,429
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluer101 View Post
I applied mine with gloves and shop rags. It allowed me to get the stain into the oak better. Also applied the Polly the same way.
I used gloves and rags for the stain as well. It involved a lot of elbow grease and sweat (100+ degrees).

I've never tried to use a rag for polyurethane though. How'd it turn out?

Power Sound Audio S7201 Quad 18" 4000W Sealed Subwoofer - Onkyo TX-NR3009 - Emotiva XPA-2 300 WPC - Polk Audio RTiA9 Mains - CSiA6 Center - F/XiA6 Surrounds - Epson 5030UB Projector - Multi-format 106" HD Gray screen - Samsung BD-F5900 3D Bluray - WDTV Live HD Media Player with 6TB External Storage - Nintendo Wii - XBox 360 - - XBox One S - Logitech Harmony One, and custom DIY media console...
climber07 is online now  
post #1479 of 1484 Old 01-10-2017, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bluer101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,845
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by climber07 View Post
I used gloves and rags for the stain as well. It involved a lot of elbow grease and sweat (100+ degrees).

I've never tried to use a rag for polyurethane though. How'd it turn out?
Perfect, no streaks at all.
climber07 likes this.
bluer101 is offline  
post #1480 of 1484 Old 01-10-2017, 06:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
climber07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,429
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluer101 View Post
Perfect, no streaks at all.
Looking back at previous posts and pictures, your console build was one that inspired me bluer101. Very nice woodworking on your part. I love me some pocket screws too!
bluer101 likes this.

Power Sound Audio S7201 Quad 18" 4000W Sealed Subwoofer - Onkyo TX-NR3009 - Emotiva XPA-2 300 WPC - Polk Audio RTiA9 Mains - CSiA6 Center - F/XiA6 Surrounds - Epson 5030UB Projector - Multi-format 106" HD Gray screen - Samsung BD-F5900 3D Bluray - WDTV Live HD Media Player with 6TB External Storage - Nintendo Wii - XBox 360 - - XBox One S - Logitech Harmony One, and custom DIY media console...
climber07 is online now  
post #1481 of 1484 Old 01-10-2017, 07:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bluer101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,845
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by climber07 View Post
Looking back at previous posts and pictures, your console build was one that inspired me bluer101. Very nice woodworking on your part. I love me some pocket screws too!
Thanks, and many others inspired me too. This site is good and bad. We get great knowledge but that comes as a price.
climber07 likes this.

Projector & Screen: Epson 5040ub Elite Screens 100" Electric Video: Oppo 103d Audio: Denon 4520ci Speakers: Infinity RS5 (LW L C R RW) Infinity RS1 (LH RH) Infinity Beta ES250 (SL SR) Subwoofers: 2 SI18d4 Martycubes with iNuke3000dsp and 2 Infinity BU120 Shakers: 4 ADX shakers with Dayton SA230 amp

My Builds--Media console build----Martycube build----ADX Bass Shaker Install
bluer101 is offline  
post #1482 of 1484 Old 07-01-2017, 07:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
AlphaPie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,197
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 376
In an attempt to revive this thread, as I know many more of you have made or are making your own stuff; I have finished-ish the front of my stand. One day, I'll empty out all of the equipment and drag it outside for a polyurethane bath and stain in the inside. Or not. Now my son has to open the doors before he can turn knobs and push buttons!





7.2 - Pioneer Elite SC-85 | Pioneer Elite BDP 120 | Polk Audio RTi12/CSi3/RT25i | DIY Dual 12" subs/Behringer Inuke3000
Monster Power 2500 | Sharp Aquos 60" | Xbox One | Sony BRP | Plex Server | Custom TV Stand w/ Middle Atlantic Racks

2 CH - Realistic STA-2100D | Realistic 31-2009 Stereo EQ | Marantz AT 6 | Sony CDP-CE375
AlphaPie is offline  
post #1483 of 1484 Old 07-01-2017, 08:16 PM
Advanced Member
 
billybobg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Francis Utah
Posts: 816
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaPie View Post
In an attempt to revive this thread, as I know many more of you have made or are making your own stuff; I have finished-ish the front of my stand. One day, I'll empty out all of the equipment and drag it outside for a polyurethane bath and stain in the inside. Or not. Now my son has to open the doors before he can turn knobs and push buttons!




That'll work. Don't wait to apply finish. Time moves faster than you think and an unfinished project becomes less desirable over time. Keep your stuff looking prime.

Home Theater Man Cave: Onkyo 7.1 Klipsch LaScala Mains, Shortened LaScala Klone Center, Klipsch Academy Surrounds and Rears; Panasonic AE8000, Panasonic BDP 460, 117" DIY Screen.
Garage Man Cave: LaScala Industrial Splits; Second hand Denon Amp
billybobg is offline  
post #1484 of 1484 Old 07-01-2017, 08:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
AlphaPie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,197
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobg View Post
That'll work. Don't wait to apply finish. Time moves faster than you think and an unfinished project becomes less desirable over time. Keep your stuff looking prime.
I'm still debating if I like the poly look.

7.2 - Pioneer Elite SC-85 | Pioneer Elite BDP 120 | Polk Audio RTi12/CSi3/RT25i | DIY Dual 12" subs/Behringer Inuke3000
Monster Power 2500 | Sharp Aquos 60" | Xbox One | Sony BRP | Plex Server | Custom TV Stand w/ Middle Atlantic Racks

2 CH - Realistic STA-2100D | Realistic 31-2009 Stereo EQ | Marantz AT 6 | Sony CDP-CE375
AlphaPie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Rear Projection Units

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off