Samsung DLP Lamp Question. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 11-27-2004, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, hopefully someone might have an answer here.
3 weeks ago a got the dreaded 3 blinking lights on my Samsung DLP.
Since I had gotten the extended warranty I called Best Buy, who contacted the Service Shop and had the repairman look at my set. Already having a fair idea what the issue was (dead lamp), I wasn't surprised when he stated that thats what the problem was.
Now to cut a long, dreadful story short, Best Buy after several weeks of stalling has told me that the Lamp is a "consumable", and thus not covered by their warranty.
So, I now have 3 choices.
Pay for the repair myself throught the shop who will bill me $420 (Canadian) plus labour.......eep.
Buy the Lamp from www.samsungparts.com for $199 US and get hit with the duty fees, and install it myself.
Or finally, buy a Lamp off Ebay and have it shipped as a gift across the border, and again, install it myself. Which leads to my question.

The Lamp for sale on Ebay is the Philips(BP96-00224C), and my set originally had the Toshiba Lamp(BP96-00224A).
Now, is the Samsung Calibrated to the characteristics of that bulb, or can I swap between them without any side effects?
They're both identical in size and shape, Im just worried about any differences in voltage or color variation.
Anyone know?

Bueller?

Bueller?

Sean Sullivan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-27-2004, 10:34 AM

I would like to know as well. Anybody?
post #3 of 13 Old 11-27-2004, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Well, its a moot point now anyways.
The guy on Ebay has pulled his auction.
So I guess I'm going the semi-offical route (samsungparts.com)
But if any of the reaally techie guys here have an answer for this, I would love to hear from them as I'm sure I'll be going down this road again in a few years.......

cheers

Sean Sullivan
post #4 of 13 Old 11-27-2004, 06:58 PM

To change a toshiba to philips lamp you MUST change the ballastboard/ignitor. I have a sammy HLP4365 and my lamp went. (Just 15 months, maybe 3600 - 4000 hours) They use to have a kit for change/upgrade. All new sammies sold, 2004 have the philips lamp and extra fan. Same part # but C at the end rather them A or (P) rather then (T) on part # label beside lamp door.

The service location technican that I found has done # of conversions. They are not stocking the kits now. The ones he got had lamp, ballastboard, fan and harness. Possibly 4 - 6 weeks from asia. We ordered the parts needed as seperates. Much higher cost.

Samsung support said just lamp and ballastboard kit should be available but suppliers show it as not available.

Extra fan/cooling should help lamp life. Ballast and lamp have to be matched to get proper lamp life. Nobody is saying if change by samsung was just a supply problem or if lamp life also a factor.

Nobody stocks Lamps here in Canada. Everything is 7 - 10 days from the US. Samsung USA was out of the toshiba lamp for awhile. Lamp $399 canadian. You should have better supply/cost in US. Good luck!
post #5 of 13 Old 11-27-2004, 07:01 PM

best buy has just recently started considering the lamps in the DLPs to be covered under the warranty....it is too bad that they were not doing this on previous sets for a lot of the people that got the plan.....

Someone help me I'm lost.
post #6 of 13 Old 11-27-2004, 09:08 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
The bulb is only covered on the $400 service plans purchased after June of '03. I also have a Samsung that uses the BP96-00224A and was dreading having the conversion done, but it appears that Samsung Parts has the new Toshiba bulbs in stock and has discontinued the conversion kits for the time being.

831 Blu-ray Discs
70 HD DVD Discs
796 DVD's

post #7 of 13 Old 11-27-2004, 10:22 PM

They say the bulb is a consumable. The bulb also has a rated life of 5000 to 8000 hour depending on which literature you read from Samsung. An extended warranty is just that. An extention of the manufacturers warranty. The manufacturer warrantys that bulb for one year. So I would say if you don't have 8000 hours on your bulb and the warranty did not specifically mention DLP light bulbs, tell them to replace it until the warranty is up. Their definition of consumable would also include a CRT.
post #8 of 13 Old 11-28-2004, 06:12 AM

It would be interesting to know if most of the premature lamp failures originated with predominately Toshiba bulbs since Samsung seems to want to change over to Philips by offering a kit at one time. They never offered a kit to go from Philips to Toshiba & are using Philips exclusively in the new sets according to Pumped. Has there ever been a survey on AVS to substantiate this theory?
post #9 of 13 Old 11-28-2004, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

I upgraded my Best Buy contact just to include the bulb. However, if you are within the first year of the warrenty Samsung still coveres it. I just got the 3 blinking lights on my HLN4365. Waiting to hear what they will do and when.
post #10 of 13 Old 11-29-2004, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wrmliquidsadness
....what the issue was (dead lamp), I wasn't surprised when he stated that thats what the problem was.
....... Best Buy after several weeks of stalling has told me that the Lamp is a "consumable", and thus not covered by their warranty.
So, I now have 3 choices.
Pay for the repair myself
Buy the Lamp from samsungparts.com
Buy a Lamp off Ebay
You don't say the age of your DLP TV. If it is less than 15 months, Samsung will cover the cost of the replacement. If it is older, I would still call Samsung and negoiate a deal where they send you the bulb for self replacement. Worse case, they may just discount the bulb's price.

Have a great day!

AllenN
post #11 of 13 Old 11-29-2004, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DLPNut
They say the bulb is a consumable. The bulb also has a rated life of 5000 to 8000 hour depending on which literature you read from Samsung. An extended warranty is just that. An extention of the manufacturers warranty. The manufacturer warrantys that bulb for one year. So I would say if you don't have 8000 hours on your bulb and the warranty did not specifically mention DLP light bulbs, tell them to replace it until the warranty is up. Their definition of consumable would also include a CRT.
I guess it would include anything that wore out or was used up, but Best Buy limits it to knobs, batteries (except where specifically included), filters, etc. They still consider lamps consumables but now include them in the plan as an "inclusion". I don't think he'll get very far with that argument above, but I'm no legal expert. Your statement implies that you are, but I don't think that will work. We're talking about "explicit" and "implicit" coverage that varies from state to state.

831 Blu-ray Discs
70 HD DVD Discs
796 DVD's

post #12 of 13 Old 11-29-2004, 10:04 AM

The service plan from Best Buy covers EVERYTHING but physical abuse, Including the bulb and preventative maintenance (cleaning, etc). If worse comes to worse, return your service plan and re-buy it...that puts you buying the service after June 2003. If they want to give you problems, find a sales manager and explain in polite way that you regularly shop there and just wish to have the same coverage that every other micro display customer has. Remember, you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

Mongo Only Pawn in Game of Life
post #13 of 13 Old 12-03-2004, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

Don't count on it covering "EVERYTHING BUT ABUSE", this is the kind of misinformation that causes everyone grief. Inside the pamphlet, there are 3 sections of 6 type font that lists all kinds of exclusions. Please read it over, I assure you there is more to it than "EVERYTHING BUT ABUSE". If the TV was purchased before June '03, then the bulb is excluded plain and simple. If a manager allows a plan upgrade, make sure he is willing to have the store cover the charge of the bulb. NEW (the plan underwriter) will not cover it if the TV was purchased before the policy change. If you don't believe me, then call 1-888-BESTBUY and talk to someone from N.E.W. Do NOT talk to a regular Best BuyCSR on the phone, they know less than if you were to ask someone in the Music/Movies section about it.

831 Blu-ray Discs
70 HD DVD Discs
796 DVD's

Closed Thread Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page