HLPXX63W Owners Thread/Problems/Tweaks/Service Menu/Discretes etc. - Page 11 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #301 of 1116 Old 02-25-2005, 10:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by collinp
Sources which send separate color information like HDMI, DVI, and Component generally do not allow you to adjust tint. Sources that send all U and V together like Composite or S-Video give you a tint control to control the TVs splitting of chroma (UV) signal into U and V.

The filters supplied with DVE or Avia are not perfect. Even with a well tuned TV you things will not line up perfectly through the filters. Green in particular will be a bit off.

The Sony 975 however has a color space conversion bug which results in an improper RGB signal for 720p and 1080i signals. You will find the problem most noticeable as a too dark green channel. Try setting the Sony to 480p and retune with DVE. Reportedly this avoids the problem, though you will be falling back on the TV's scaler.

- Collin

Gotcha on the tint control.

Yes on the filters, in DVE, after setting the blue bars, the green bars are the most off. Any remedy suggested?

Yes on the improper RGB signal. It is too green. Is this the SD/HD matrix issue previously posted? Are you saying keep the Sony at 480p after re-tuning? It probably wouldn't be so bad with the 5063W doing the scaling to 720p. But then why did I buy this player???

Also, the Sammy manual (5063W) said that there is a "Custom" settings that one can create for specific settings, in addition to Dynamic, Cinema, and Standard. For the life of me, I couldn't get a "Custom" setting going. I picked Dynamic and changed those parameters. Any clue on how to do "Custom"?

Thanks...jce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 1116 Old 02-25-2005, 12:25 PM

Just wondering if anyone else was watching the apprentice last ngiht and they were in the PS2 headquarters in NYC and in the conference room they had sammy DLP's, it looked like a HLP to. I wonder if that says something about out sammy's compared o the sony's lcd.
post #303 of 1116 Old 02-25-2005, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by Old^Style
Just wondering if anyone else was watching the apprentice last ngiht and they were in the PS2 headquarters in NYC and in the conference room they had sammy DLP's, it looked like a HLP to. I wonder if that says something about out sammy's compared o the sony's lcd.

I noticed that as well. It looked like they had the computer hooked up to it to. Pretty sure it was an HLN though. Had the bigger power-on eyeball in the middle of the speaker grille.
post #304 of 1116 Old 02-25-2005, 01:28 PM

I noticed it too. I think it was an HLP. It was definitely hooked up to a computer because I saw a windows desktop with icons on the screen...and smudges (just kidding).
post #305 of 1116 Old 02-25-2005, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Got my HLP6163 replacement today. Feb 2005 with the 1035 firmware. Haven't noticed any issues yet, nor have I done any calibration. I'll let you know if I can see BTB on this set.

Ross

Ross
post #306 of 1116 Old 02-25-2005, 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Old^Style

Saw the same... some Sony marketing honcho must have been SCREAMING when he saw that one. Even my wife said, "Hey, that looks like our TV, isn't Playstation Sony?" If it goes that far, someone in Sony had to have seen it.
post #307 of 1116 Old 02-25-2005, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by smithre4
Got my HLP6163 replacement today. Feb 2005 with the 1035 firmware. Haven't noticed any issues yet, nor have I done any calibration. I'll let you know if I can see BTB on this set.

Ross

So I guess that means that 1035 is the latest firmware available?
post #308 of 1116 Old 02-25-2005, 04:11 PM

It appears that way. I'll try and sit down and map out all of the settings in the SM and so people can see what's changed. I noted already that my SEQ_SELECT is 8, where as Steve found it set to 5 in one of his 1035 sets. So Samsung may just be tweaking values now instead of major revisions (maybe BIOS number reflects a change in the digital board or something).

It's definitely nice having a discrete code for HDMI.

Ross

Ross
post #309 of 1116 Old 02-25-2005, 09:17 PM

Attached is the SM settings for Component and HDMI for the Feb05 1035 series HLP6163.

Regarding my prior BTB issue. I've learned more in my testing. When using the Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi over HDMI, I do not see the BTB bars. If I use Component, I see the BTB.

Ross

hlp6163_1035.zip 13.533203125k . file

Ross
post #310 of 1116 Old 02-26-2005, 12:17 AM

I have a HLP5063 purch 12/04 and just had light engine and computer replaced (60 days in) due to set turning off by itself and color wheel/computer errors whereby only red and blue light projected. Samsung repairman came out next day and replace parts but now have two problems that have been touched on in this thread but I havent seen complete answers:

1.) Now I have a high pitch whining sound that is the color wheel I believe. Starts after a click about 6 seconds after startup, ends about 8 seconds after shut down/corresponds to lamp lighting and turn off. Whine is low level but penetrating to anyone who can hear it. it wasnt this noticable on my original light engine kit. Fan is also a bit louder as well, but passable.

2.) Now on my second set of parts I am noticing a less than sharp picture focus/could be settings but I used DVE to set my component setting. HD quality on InHD was superb originally, now somewhat less than that in both DVI or Component. my standard settings are same as this thread advises and matches DVE. Possible install of new light engine package slightly out of place?

3.) Lastly, my component feed looks significantly better than my DVI input. Why? Specifically, component looks like it has much more depth, images are as dimensional as you can get. However on DVI the picture looks "flat" like a photograph. Color, contrast and brightness are nearly identical from DVI to Component so what can be wrong? I know DVI should be better but its just a blah image in comparison to Component. Using a monster DVI cable.

STB: Comcast Motorola HD/DVR combo.

Thanks -
Kevin
post #311 of 1116 Old 02-26-2005, 02:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by drjeckl

Yes on the filters, in DVE, after setting the blue bars, the green bars are the most off. Any remedy suggested?

Setting the Sony to 480p to fix its color space conversion bug might bring green back in line a bit. You probably won't notice slight color shifts unless your a very critical watcher. An ISF tech could tune the set in the service menu and it would look quite good. I strongly suggest that owners of these sets get them professionally calibrated. These sets are pretty off out of the box.

Quote:

Yes on the improper RGB signal. It is too green. Is this the SD/HD matrix issue previously posted? Are you saying keep the Sony at 480p after re-tuning? It probably wouldn't be so bad with the 5063W doing the scaling to 720p. But then why did I buy this player???

I am referring to the SD/HD matrix bug. Widescreen Review says that because of this bug the Sony 975 causes darker greens and yellows at 720p and 1080i. They claim that the problem goes away at 480i and 480p. This fits my memory of the problem on the unit I had temporarily.

Why did you buy this player? Well only you can say for certain. How about because you're looking at $1000 and up to get one that does upconversion properly or because you still get the benefit of an all digital connection.

Quote:

Also, the Sammy manual (5063W) said that there is a "Custom" settings that one can create for specific settings, in addition to Dynamic, Cinema, and Standard. For the life of me, I couldn't get a "Custom" setting going. I picked Dynamic and changed those parameters. Any clue on how to do "Custom"?

On my HLN the factory picture settings cannot be changed. There is a separate custom picture setting that can be changed. On my HLP the factory picture settings can be modified and there is no longer a separate custom picture menu. Due to publishing lead times, I suspect that the text in the HLP manual was written before the firmware was finalized and hence reflects the old functionality not the current functionality.

- Collin
post #312 of 1116 Old 02-26-2005, 10:35 AM

Collinp,

Yeah, I'm thinking of doing the ISF thing. My setup is the 5063W, fed by an HR10-250 on the DVI input and the Sony DVP-NS975V on the HDMI input. Do you think it's worth it (probably at another $150) to get both inputs tuned separately or just do one and apply the settings to the other? This process could run me about $400 (in NY). That price is about 10% of what I spent for the 3 components, which is probably reasonable. Yes/No?

Yes, you are correct on why I bought this unit (price and digital output), but I was hoping to have the player do the upscale and feed the TV at it's native 720p. Maybe I should let the TV do the upscale. I'll try it.

Good guess on the "Custom" setting. Has anyone contacted Samsung on this?

Thanks Collin...jce
post #313 of 1116 Old 02-26-2005, 06:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yeah, I'm thinking of doing the ISF thing. My setup is the 5063W, fed by an HR10-250 on the DVI input and the Sony DVP-NS975V on the HDMI input. Do you think it's worth it (probably at another $150) to get both inputs tuned separately or just do one and apply the settings to the other? This process could run me about $400 (in NY). That price is about 10% of what I spent for the 3 components, which is probably reasonable. Yes/No?

I personally think a tune up by someone who knows the HLP series is worth it. Most folks don't feel like spending more money after an expensive purchase like a RPTV, but as a friend of mine says "You don't get a new Bosendorfer and not call the piano tuner."

The settings for DVI and HDMI are the same in the service menu. It should be a single input tune up. The HLPs have an additional processing mode which most sets don't have called CCA. On most sets you are stuck with the Red, Green, and Blue primaries and secondaries resulting from the blub and filters chosen by the set manufacturer. CCA however allows an ISF tuner to tune your set to any set of primaries and secondaries which fit within the native color space. This is pretty bleeding edge stuff for a consumer set. Make sure you get someone that knows how to tune it. Steve Martin (Cheezmo) is an ISF calibrator and posts a lot on this thread. Maybe he can recommend someone in your area.

Quote:

Yes, you are correct on why I bought this unit (price and digital output), but I was hoping to have the player do the upscale and feed the TV at it's native 720p. Maybe I should let the TV do the upscale. I'll try it.

Yeah it's less than ideal to have an upscaling player and not use the upscaling. However, the chief benefit in my opinion is the all digital connection. The scaler in the Samsung is decent enough, you might not even notice much difference. The color shift would be a more noticeable image artifact in my opinion.

- Collin
post #314 of 1116 Old 02-26-2005, 06:46 PM

Collin,

Looks like we got this forum to ourself. LOL. Thanks for the info and advice. I'm gonna start getting quotes and qualifications from ISF folks in my area. Yo, Cheezmo: got any preferences? I know, it's a brotherhood and everyone in it is equal..... Any one that distinguishes themselves?

Thanks...jce
post #315 of 1116 Old 02-26-2005, 07:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by smithre4
Regarding my prior BTB issue. I've learned more in my testing. When using the Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi over HDMI, I do not see the BTB bars. If I use Component, I see the BTB.

My HLP 5063W over DVI/HDMI in will show BTB so this is likely a player problem. Perhaps the player is set to PC RGB output? To see BTB it should be set to Video RGB. I don't know how to set this on a 59AVi.

- Collin
post #316 of 1116 Old 02-27-2005, 12:22 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
Collin,

Looks like we got this forum to ourself.

No you don't. We are watching you.

Send Cheezmo a PM. As a HLP5063 owner he should be able to recommend someone in your area.
post #317 of 1116 Old 02-27-2005, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by collinp
My HLP 5063W over DVI/HDMI in will show BTB so this is likely a player problem. Perhaps the player is set to PC RGB output? To see BTB it should be set to Video RGB. I don't know how to set this on a 59AVi.

- Collin

Thanks for the tip, Collin. You led me down a successful road. I found out that the player using the HDMI output automatically tunes certain picture quality settings, one of them being the 'black level'. ADjusting that let me see the BTB. Guess I should have read the manual!

Ross

Ross
post #318 of 1116 Old 02-27-2005, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by htwaits
No you don't. We are watching you.

Send Cheezmo a PM. As a HLP5063 owner he should be able to recommend someone in your area.

You know, I was waiting for you to chime in. LOL! Good idea on the PM. Thanks...jce
post #319 of 1116 Old 02-27-2005, 01:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
You know, I was waiting for you to chime in. LOL! Good idea on the PM. Thanks...jce

Good luck.
post #320 of 1116 Old 02-27-2005, 07:48 PM

Ok guys I have a hlp4663w ordered. I can cancel it if I choose to do so by Wednesday. Is there ANYONE who owns an hlpxx6w model who hasn't had to have something fixed on it? I think I am just going to end up not buying an HDTV.
post #321 of 1116 Old 02-27-2005, 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Zedian
Ok guys I have a hlp4663w ordered. I can cancel it if I choose to do so by Wednesday. Is there ANYONE who owns an hlpxx6w model who hasn't had to have something fixed on it? I think I am just going to end up not buying an HDTV.

Well if you can wait several months (august+) I would. the new series (HLR) blow the HLPs and all other DLPs out of the water with 1080p native resolution and 10000:1 contrast ratio.

For all the latest gossip - http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=493443

Ross

PS - Even though I have a had quite a few issues with my HLP (it had to be replaced), I still love the Samsung series and their service is phenomenal, even if something does go wrong.

Ross
post #322 of 1116 Old 02-27-2005, 09:27 PM

Quote:

Well if you can wait several months (august+) I would. the new series (HLR) blow the HLPs and all other DLPs out of the water with 1080p native resolution and 10000:1 contrast ratio.

Well this is to double as my PC monitor for games on it as well and I won't be able to push that high of a native resolution. Also the ones that are 10000:1 contrast ratio are too big for my apartment, and too expensive.

But I think I will wait regardless since I haven't talked to anyone who has had zero problems with an hlp.
post #323 of 1116 Old 02-27-2005, 10:06 PM

Quote:

But I think I will wait regardless since I haven't talked to anyone who has had zero problems with an hlp.

I bet the people who have had zero problems with their Samsungs are nowhere even near this thread or even knows of it's existence.

You might even find them at Costco or Sam's Club!
post #324 of 1116 Old 02-27-2005, 10:12 PM

Quote:

I understand what you are saying, people who complain talk more. However, I know of several people who have never had a single problem with their HLN's. And also people who didn't have problems with the 67w's and up.

But for some reason everyone I have talked to has had a problem with their hlpxx63w model.
post #325 of 1116 Old 02-27-2005, 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by PlaneNuts
I'm not sure if this is poor etiquette to ask again so soon, but anybody have some tips for this new HLP owner? Cheezemo or Collin or other HLP Superbeing?

I have a HLP5063 purch 12/04 and just had light engine and computer replaced (60 days in) due to set turning off by itself and color wheel/computer errors whereby only red and blue light projected. Samsung repairman came out next day and replace parts but now have two problems that have been touched on in this thread but I havent seen complete answers:

1.) Now I have a high pitch whining sound that is the color wheel I believe. Starts after a click about 6 seconds after startup, ends about 8 seconds after shut down/corresponds to lamp lighting and turn off. Whine is low level but penetrating to anyone who can hear it. it wasnt this noticable on my original light engine kit. Fan is also a bit louder as well, but passable.

2.) Now on my second set of parts I am noticing a less than sharp picture focus/could be settings but I used DVE to set my component setting. HD quality on InHD was superb originally, now somewhat less than that in both DVI or Component. my standard settings are same as this thread advises and matches DVE. Possible install of new light engine package slightly out of place?

3.) Lastly, my component feed looks significantly better than my DVI input. Why? Specifically, component looks like it has much more depth, images are as dimensional as you can get. However on DVI the picture looks "flat" like a photograph. Color, contrast and brightness are nearly identical from DVI to Component so what can be wrong? I know DVI should be better but its just a blah image in comparison to Component. Using a monster DVI cable.

STB: Comcast Motorola HD/DVR combo.

Thanks -
Kevin

post #326 of 1116 Old 02-28-2005, 12:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I had a color wheel bearing issue on my HLN. It was intermittent and sounded like a little buzz saw. Reportedly, there was a manufacturing issue that affected a certain number of HLNs. This was supposedly resolved. Based on your description of the timing I would say it may actually be a bearing in the light cooling fan. Nonetheless, this warrants a call to Samsung.

Quote:

Yes, it is possible to install a light engine slightly out of place. These Samsung contractors are not well trained on these sets in my opinion. They could have misaligned the engine. It could also be a calibration thing. The contractors that replaced my HLN light engine did not bother to recalibrate the set. It was way off. Much worse than OOB. Luckily I have a ColorFacts system.

Quote:

This is probably a set calibration issue. Your component input is probably better calibrated than DVI. It is also possible, though less likely, that the Comcast box has a lousy digital output. I haven't played with that box. Once you get the noise issue resolved and you give the set some burn in time, I'd get it professionally calibrated.

- Collin
post #327 of 1116 Old 02-28-2005, 12:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

But for some reason everyone I have talked to has had a problem with their hlpxx63w model.

I guarantee you there are people who will say that the HLNs are problematic and the HLPs are reliable. The truth is, I don't believe there is a significant difference in build quality between the various models of Samsung DLPs. I also do not expect the HLRs to be significantly better in terms of quality. For major issues, I had a color wheel noise issue on an HLN and no problems with an HLP.

You will find minor issues with almost any consumer electronics product and the Samsung DLPs are no exception. Folks report a lot of minor issues here from smudges that wipe away to poor OOB calibration. These things aren't deal breakers for me. I know throwing down $3-4K for a set seems quite expensive, but these sets are actually quite inexpensive for what you get. They could build these things like tanks, but they would cost $10K.

The other thing to remember is that most people who post here are trying to get issues resolved. Most folks who are happy don't bother to track down this forum.

- Collin
post #328 of 1116 Old 02-28-2005, 06:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I got my HLP4663 two weeks ago and have yet to have any problems. So far, I love the set, and at $1958 delivered I think it is a good value.
post #329 of 1116 Old 02-28-2005, 08:12 AM

Has anyone ever gotten a big green screen. This has happened to last night. I'm using HDMI for my HDTivo . Do you think it s the Tivo or the set.

Thanks in advance
post #330 of 1116 Old 02-28-2005, 09:04 AM

Collinp,
Thanks for your reply on Post 328. Much appreciated. I agree with getting HLP calibrated by ISF, however, it does no good right now if the set's going back or needs parts again. I think I'll let it settle in, see problems become unbearable and then make the calls.

Additioinally, I just got my first case of smudges, so I guess thats another of the 5063's fine features. I know how to deal with them via that thread tho. Thanks for your service.
Kevin
Reply Rear Projection Units

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page