post #271 of 17304 Old 01-23-2005, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by DreamCatcher
BTW DOBE, As expected, NO contest between 006 and the P50! The 006 wins hands down, in every category (except the fact that the P50 looks cool mounted on the wall) and that's saying alot as the P50 is no slouch. dc

Dreamcatcher: Thanks for the report. Did all your guest agree? This is amazing coming from a P50 owner who still has the display and can compare it directly to the 006.

I saw a previous post on the plasma forum where you were considering the new Panasonic 65". It looks like it can be purchased for a bit less than the 006. What caused you to reject the Panny and buy the 006? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 17304 Old 01-23-2005, 05:09 PM

Heh, guys - I could see that the CBS telecast was sharper than Fox on my 34" Direct View set - the difference was that big.

CBS must have looked awesome on your Qualias.
post #273 of 17304 Old 01-23-2005, 06:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by DOBE
Is it possible this SXRD technology is an exception to the rule that you should never buy the first product that includes new technology.

This rule usually applies to cars as well as audio. Is this really the exception. I''ll wait a few more months and hope you guys will report any problems you encounter. If they are small I will still pull the trigger.

So far...except the price...almost all these 006 reviews are too good to be true.

Remember, this is a second generation SXRD device. The 004 has been out for a couple years.
post #274 of 17304 Old 01-23-2005, 06:12 PM
Advanced Member

Dilbert1,
I am assuming that the Denon 3910 scaler is overriding the 006 scaler while playing a dvd. I thought Colortv was going to find a way to disable the scaler on a player so that the scaler on the 006 can perform the upconverting. Anyway the PQ on the 006 with the 3910 is simply gorgeous. I agree on what Colortv says about dvd players. If the 006 scaler is that good, which I know it is, then you don't really need an expensive player, especially now that HD DVD is around the corner. On the other hand, if have money up your ass, then go for it!!!!!!! Denon 3910 is a great player.

nhey,
I can't believe these people complaining on how the Sony stand looks like. They should not talk if they have not seen it in person. I wished my stand was as low as the Sony stand.

DreamCatcher,
Congrats on getting your set.

mauricef,
Thanks for the settings you provided. I will try them after the game.

Everyone,
The CBS broadcast of the game, WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My Steelers is losing, but the 006 is the real winner.

Laterz
post #275 of 17304 Old 01-23-2005, 06:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mauricef -

Did you use Avia or Digital Video Essentials to come up with your settings, or did you just eyeball them?

I'm so happy with this set's picture quality I haven't been able to use a calibration disk yet.

Agree with everyone else - the CBS game was even better than the Fox game picture-wise. Both great.

I've never seen such a sharp picture as the CBS game.

The black Pittsburgh uniforms were BLACK. Was anyone unhappy with the "blackness" of the uniforms? (without "black enhance" on).

The 16" height of the Sony stand should not be ignored. It also looks very nice in person.

P.S. I definitely don't work for Sony.
post #276 of 17304 Old 01-23-2005, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Originally posted by mauricef

Here are my settings.

Can you tell us how you arrived at those settings ?

Thanks.

Do you have the D.V.E. 1080i version ?
post #277 of 17304 Old 01-23-2005, 06:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Yes from AVIA with a Panasonic XP50. I also tried these settings with a JVC DVHS and HDTV with CableCard and found them very pleasing. A with anything you mileage may vary.

Good Luck

Maurice
post #278 of 17304 Old 01-23-2005, 06:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

I also agree that the blacks looked good on the Pittsburgh game no matter what settings I used. I was trying to correct some crush I had seen on test patterns.
post #279 of 17304 Old 01-23-2005, 07:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Penton I don't have DVE 1080i. I almost purchased it when I had the Toshiba LCOS. Maybe I will buy it now that I have a 1080i TV again.
post #280 of 17304 Old 01-23-2005, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Usually there is complaining about something..

13K still hurts.

I wonder what could have been if Rogo's Japanese engineer ever gets back to him and confirms that the scaler in the 006 does indeed bob.

Am I still happy about the purchase?
Most definitely.

Does the Sony stand bug me at all?
Not at all, especially given the fact that we live in earthquake country and our sectional is very low to the ground.
post #281 of 17304 Old 01-23-2005, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So far...except the price...almost all these 006 reviews are too good to be true.

They are....we're all Sony plants.
post #282 of 17304 Old 01-23-2005, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

I also agree that the blacks looked good on the Pittsburgh game no matter what settings I used. I was trying to correct some crush I had seen on test patterns.

I don't know. Looks to me like the blacks got crushed at the Pittsburgh game.

"Nature Abhors a Vacuum Tube" -  J. R. Pierce
post #283 of 17304 Old 01-23-2005, 07:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by jp2
Kaduku,
No issues with xbox with component adapter with 006. I purchased mx unleashed which is a 1080i xbox game and it looks very good. Just to make sure, I went into the xbox setup console and disabled everything except 1080i.

Halo 2 on the 006 rocks!!!

It just gets better and better!!!

Laterz
post #284 of 17304 Old 01-23-2005, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

mauricef-
Which DRC mode in the Advanced Video menu did you select?

Or have you experimented with mode1 vs CineMotion ?
post #285 of 17304 Old 01-23-2005, 08:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by SRT-10 Viper
I am new to the forum... Have been following this forum as well as the previous one on Sony 006. I ordered the TV sight unseen based on the feedback here on the forum. I would like feedback on the way I plan to set up my system:

1) TV to Comcast HD STB (Firewire) since it has no HDMI it has DVI but
Firewire does both Digital Video and Audio
2) Comcast STB to Denon 5803 A/V Reciever (Optical)
3) Denon DVD to TV (HDMI)
4) Denon DVD to Denon 5803 A/V Receiver (Denon Link) this works now
5) JVC D-Video to TV (Firewire)
6) JVC D-Video to Denon 5803 A/V Reciever (Optical)

I figured since composite is Analog I would try to go all digital connections... Any recommendations on the above connections? I think I read from JB007 the TVs firewire port is 4 pin.

I get my 006 Tuesday... Can't wait!

Viper,
Another way to do your Firewire connections is as follows (no need to connect each Firewire device directly to the TV - you can loop the Firewire connections from one device to the next one, and terminate the final one at the TV):

Comcast STB >JVC DVHS (Firewire)
JVC DVHS>TV (using other Firewire port on DVHS machine).

This will allow you to record from the Comcast box to DVHS foir archiving your DVR, then view either Comcast STB or DVHS machine on the TV. Both will show up in the iLink menu on the TV - you select which device you wish to view. You will even have transport controls for the DVHS machine accessible on the iLink menu on the TV. Since you have Firewire 2 devices feeding the DVHS machine (the TV and the Comcast STB) you can select either device on the DVHS channel selector and record HD either from the TV's ATSC tuner or the Comcast box. For example, the Sony TV shows up as input I-3 on the DVHS machine's channel display, and the STB shows up as I-4 (the Firewire devices are automatically assigned - no intervention required on your part - just make the connections). Use the channel + and - buttons on your DVHS machine to toggle the Firewire inputs for recording on DVHS.

I tested the ability to archive the Comcast HD DVR to DVHS today and it works great on non-copy protected shows. But when trying to record a copy-protected program on DVHS, the on screen message on the DVHS machine is "unable to decode video and audio. Use set-top box or DVR."
post #286 of 17304 Old 01-23-2005, 08:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by anwaryussuf
I have read articles on the sony sxrd, but it doesn't mention if it has a built in hd tuner. does this tv have a built in hd tuner? For $13,000 Im hoping it has a built in hd tuner.

Yes, it has a built-in ATSC tuner.
post #287 of 17304 Old 01-23-2005, 08:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Penton-Man
I wonder what could have been if Rogo's Japanese engineer ever gets back to him and confirms that the scaler in the 006 does indeed bob.

Easiest way to find out is run the D.V.E. 1080i D-VHS. There's a way to test for it that was outlined in another thread I read some weeks back.
post #288 of 17304 Old 01-23-2005, 08:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by kaduku
Colortv,

Unfortunately, I don't have OTA signals in my area. Someone a few miles away, where they also said had no signals, was able to receive all the local HD stuff. Any suggests on this? Directv did get me CBS in HD. I've requested a waiver for ABC and NBC, will take up to 45 days for an answer. FOX is a no go, so no Super Bowl.

Why not try digital HD cable? You'll get your HD locals, a leased DVR with a Firewire port in case you want to archive DVR programs to HD DVHS, and what some of us think is a better picture than the satellite providers. Too bad my cable provider (Comcast) doesn't offer HDNet though, but InHD is decent. I wouldn't miss the Superbowl or the Oscars if I were you. Two of the biggest HD events of the year! My cable company offers month to month service and yours may too, which means you might not need a lengthy contract. That way you can evaluate both services and see which one you prefer. That was my intention when VOOM's promised DVR was to appear in March. Guess that's a dead issue now!
post #289 of 17304 Old 01-23-2005, 08:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by DreamCatcher
Well I finally received my 006 (Sat).
WOW, you guys are right, this set kicks major *ss
Best picture by a long shot I've ever seen. Even a good SD signal looks amazing.
Compared to our Fujitsu P50 plasma, well there is no comparsion, the 006 PQ is much, much better. Colors are just insanely good.

Only concern was the delivery crew, or lack there of.
The crew of two, a 65 year old man and his grandson, neither one the big beefy guys you like to see moving your $13K display.
My son and I both had to help them or they wouldn't have even got the beast out of the box.
I'm also having cable HD (Charter) hooked up this coming week and plan to do some comparsions with our current DirecTV HD stuff.

The 006 RULES!!!!

dc

WELCOME! We are evangelists for SXRD! Finally, A NO EXCUSES HDTV!
post #290 of 17304 Old 01-23-2005, 08:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by nhey
For those debating the merits of the Sony stand. Here's one thought in support of the stand, which I have. The stand is only 16" tall which is a major +++++ with this huge TV. The bottom of the screen is about 10" off the floor if you placed the TV on the floor with no stand. So... the bottom of the screen, when the TV is on the Sony stand is about 26 inches from the ground. If you get another stand, it will likely be about 24" tall itself. Adding 10" inches gives a floor to bottom of screen distance of 34" inches. This will mean that you will looking UP from most seating positions, and especially if you sit on a recliner. Something to consider.

The ONLY complaint I have about my Soundations Chicane 4 stand is that it is a bit taller than I would like. Sitting on my couch I have to look up a bit to center the SXRD screen. A valid point, nehy. So far, the only strain is on the corners of my mouth from the constant smiles and saying "I can't believe how gorgeous this thing is!"
post #291 of 17304 Old 01-23-2005, 08:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by nhey
Has anyone noticed this phenomenon?

I had both component cables and a DVI to HDMI cable connecting my Comcast 6412 to the 006.

When switching inputs (going from component input 4 to the HDMI input 6) to see if there is any noticeable difference in the picture quality, I get a "double picture" with the HDMI input. If I switch back to the component input it goes away and the picture is normal. I have removed the DVI to HDMI cable and am staying with the component connection only.

Penton-man - is this the "handshake" issue you surmise causes the "artifact" described above?

nhey,

So perhaps I have wasted my money on the DVI-HDMI cable I ordered to make the exact digital connection you mention. The component connection between 6412 and 006 is simply awesome and trouble-free. Too late to cancel my order for the cable from RAM.
post #292 of 17304 Old 01-23-2005, 08:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 591
You want to read the truth about what's actually happening to DirecTV read people like me, DTV Tivo Dealer at Tivocommunity and a few others. You want to be fear-mongered, fine.

The truth: New locals starting this summer in MPEG-4. True.

The truth: Boxes for existing HD subs replaced at little or zero cost. True.

The truth: The HD locals over satellite in MPEG-4 might launch before this an MPEG-4 capable DVR of any kind from DirecTV.

The maybe: So they might simulcast those locals in MPEG-2 for awhile. Maybe.

The lies: Buying something now is too risky. Lies, what's the risk? Existing HD Tivo units will be replaced at little or no cost to subs. Including units bought now.

The only thing DirecTV is doing wrong: Confusing people in the short run. They'd rather you not buy now so they don't have to swap you later. But really, what's the point of that?

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
post #293 of 17304 Old 01-23-2005, 09:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by kaduku
Dilbert1,
I am assuming that the Denon 3910 scaler is overriding the 006 scaler while playing a dvd. I thought Colortv was going to find a way to disable the scaler on a player so that the scaler on the 006 can perform the upconverting.

I guess I need to become a football fan. A friend of mine invited my over to watch the CBS game on his 60" XBR but I passed. He doesn't think my SXRD could possibly be better than his set. Went shopping for a new receiver instead.

With the Sony ND975V I made the lowest setting possible for HDMI output: 720x480p. Another selection is 720x480i - rogo may have a thought on which one is best and causes the least interference from the DVD player. I'm not familiar with the Denon player's settings.
post #294 of 17304 Old 01-23-2005, 09:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by colortv
Why not try digital HD cable? You'll get your HD locals, a leased DVR with a Firewire port in case you want to archive DVR programs to HD DVHS, and what some of us think is a better picture than the satellite providers. Too bad my cable provider (Comcast) doesn't offer HDNet though, but InHD is decent. I wouldn't miss the Superbowl or the Oscars if I were you. Two of the biggest HD events of the year! My cable company offers month to month service and yours may too, which means you might not need a lengthy contract. That way you can evaluate both services and see which one you prefer. That was my intention when VOOM's promised DVR was to appear in March. Guess that's a dead issue now!

ColorTV,

That was my first approach, unfortunately Comcast is having trouble with my city, who is not allowing them (Comcast) to lay down newer cabling in my area that will be able to handle the HD signals. They are looking at mid-year in resolving this issue. Thought about Voom, but luckily I didn't.

Now you are saying that I should set my Denon 3910 to the lowest possible setting, so that the 006 will do the scaling. Now doesn't the 3910 keep scaling even if it is in the lowest setting? Wouldn't it be better if the player just stops scaling altogether?

Laterz
post #295 of 17304 Old 01-23-2005, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes from AVIA with a Panasonic XP50. I also tried these settings with a JVC DVHS and HDTV with CableCard and found them very pleasing. A with anything you mileage may vary.

Good Luck

Maurice

How was your XP50 (a true giant killer) tweaked?

I mean, by any chance, did you have it running on a previous display that was ISF calibrated and then you used the Avia disc to tweak the XP50 for the settings it has now???
post #296 of 17304 Old 01-23-2005, 10:03 PM

jp2,

I'm not much of an expert on computer games myself, just a player. A bunch of people had concerns about how this set would do as computer monitor or for video games, but I am hearing from you that it is fine as a computer monitor - how does text look? - and you apparently played Half Life 2 on it. I have heard from others that Xbox games are fine on it.

I think if you could play Half Life 2 at 1980 x 1080 at greater than 30 fps without artifact, that is what I would be interested in. I know you tried it but couldn't display the fps. A high end computer system can do a lot more than 30 fps. The frame rate displayed will be the frame rate of the computer system (mostly the graphics card) rather than the monitor, but if the computer is running at 80 fps and there is no artifact that would be what I am interested in.
post #297 of 17304 Old 01-23-2005, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just watched one show "Numbers" with your settings vs. what had been originally posted by someone that was gracious enough to jot down the settings that the 006 had in the NYC store, I believe.

I just noticed that the reds are MUCH redder with your settings and I was also required to turn the dimmer switch on the lights in my home theater WAY down (which is probably where it should be).

What is the lighting like in your home theater????
post #298 of 17304 Old 01-23-2005, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Jason30
Easiest way to find out is run the D.V.E. 1080i D-VHS. There's a way to test for it that was outlined in another thread I read some weeks back.

I know, I know it's just that nobody at this point in time has that D.V.E. and we're all too cheap to buy it after spending the 13K on the TV !
post #299 of 17304 Old 01-23-2005, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I guess I need to become a football fan. A friend of mine invited my over to watch the CBS game on his 60" XBR but I passed. He doesn't think my SXRD could possibly be better than his set. Went shopping for a new receiver instead.

With the Sony ND975V I made the lowest setting possible for HDMI output: 720x480p. Another selection is 720x480i - rogo may have a thought on which one is best and causes the least interference from the DVD player. I'm not familiar with the Denon player's settings.

Colortv -
If you desire to use the Qualia as the scaler rather than the Sony- then you want to pass 480i thru HDMI without question.

Have you played any DVD's in the Sony ND975V yet?
Have the people's faces looked jaundiced or are the color tones acceptable?
post #300 of 17304 Old 01-23-2005, 10:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

Color TV

I am not an engineer but here is how I interpret what the forum is discussing and how to understand how to select the correct dvd player output.

The 480p output means it is 480 Horizontal lines of resolution and it is progressive output meaning it scans the whole frame on the screen all at one time. 480i is 480 lines of horizontal resolution and it is interlaced, meaning it only puts half the lines of resolution on the screen starting at the top and then goes back to the top and puts the alternate lines on the screen.

An interlaced system can cause flickering and causes a problem with the frequency of the frame rates used by the motion picture industry and has to use a system called inverse 3:2 pull down to bring the frame rate to its proper frequency. A poor inverse 3:2 pulldown system can introduce motion artifacts.

The 006 has a native display (SRXD/ LCOS) of 1080p. Interlaced input (480i)that the Sony receives to display the picture must be deinterlaced, subjected to 3:2 pulldown and upscaled before it can use it. These are three extra processing steps which could degrade the picture

Most progressive DVD players give you a choice of 480i or 480p output so 480p would be obviously be the selection of choice. The Sony 006 would use the 480p and only upscale it up to 1080p for the display. This would be an all digital conversion and result in a sharper clearer picture with less chance of any artifacts induced by the processing.

Any professional engineers correct me if I am incorrect.

Stew
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Sony

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page