QUALIA 006 Owner's Thread - Page 13 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #361 of 17325 Old 01-24-2005, 06:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone,

Talking about letting the 006 do the upconverting, How about my Directv HD Receiver? Should I also set it to 480i or 480p so the 006 can upconvert to 1080p? The PQ I now get on HD channels are already pretty nice.

Laterz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 17325 Old 01-24-2005, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Originally posted by colortv
Have you compared the 6412's PQ via component rather than your current digital connection? I don't have my DVI-HDMI connector yet, so I'm watching the 6412 through the component cable and it looks great! Unless the DVI-HDMI connection is noticeably better, I may stick with component and eat the cost of the digital cable.

In playing with my Comcast DVR last night I didn't see a menu for setting output resolution. Can you advise where to find that setting? Does the setting only affect the DVI output and not component?

Color-
I recommend using the DVI-HDMI connection but, you don't have to "eat" the cost of the cable anyway. Just pack it up carefully -RAM has a 30 day no questions asked return policy.

Hell, you don't even have to call and get an RA#!
post #363 of 17325 Old 01-24-2005, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

P.S.-
One hour and a half (best coast time) to "24".
post #364 of 17325 Old 01-24-2005, 07:41 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Ok, I'm in the Seattle area and I got a call saying that I would get delivery of my Qualia tomorrow. The problem is no one is home tomorrow to take delivery, and the company (Sunshine delivery - contracted with NVS I think) did not leave their phone number! I can't believe this, they said they would deliver and did not even ask for a callback to confirm anyone would be home or leave a phone number. This is the first time this has happened with any delivery company, what a joke.
post #365 of 17325 Old 01-24-2005, 07:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by punkzip
Ok, I'm in the Seattle area and I got a call saying that I would get delivery of my Qualia tomorrow. The problem is no one is home tomorrow to take delivery, and the company (Sunshine delivery - contracted with NVS I think) did not leave their phone number! I can't believe this, they said they would deliver and did not even ask for a callback to confirm anyone would be home or leave a phone number. This is the first time this has happened with any delivery company, what a joke.

punkzip,

That does suck!!!!! Luckily when the delivery guys called my home, my caller id logged their number, so I was able to call them back and set up a time frame. I would call NVC and have them call the local company. Also if this is the way they provide their white glove treatment, I would watch they way they unload and setup your 006. I know you're not willing to wait til Monday, that would be torture!!!!!!

Laterz
post #366 of 17325 Old 01-24-2005, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
What is NVCs number?
post #367 of 17325 Old 01-24-2005, 08:16 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Here's a little Quicktime movie (16:9 of course) of the delivery of my Qualia 006. Two strong men can handle the beast in spite of the recommendation in the manual.

http://www.kingoftheroad.net/qualia0...v-delivery.mov

Wow, thats a classic!!!!

You appear more than a bit concerned about the 006 landing facedown on the pavment a few times............yikers!!!!
post #368 of 17325 Old 01-24-2005, 08:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by punkzip
What is NVCs number?

(800) 526-0207 ext 7

www.nvclogistics.com

Laterz
post #369 of 17325 Old 01-24-2005, 09:23 PM

I think it would be interesting to try Winamp visualizations on the Qualia 006. Winamp has an interesting pattern generator called "Milkdrop". The fractals patterns that are generated should look interesting on a 70 inch monitor and especially if the colors are as intense as you all indicate.

I am probably going to get the Sony stand with the Qualia. Selection of a
DVD player is still up in the air. I was going to get the Denon 3910 but it would not make sense to buy a blue ray later and have to put the Denon in the closet. Perhaps I will buy the Panasonic. What do you think a blue ray player will cost when it becomes available?

Dilbert1
post #370 of 17325 Old 01-24-2005, 09:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Dilbert1
I think it would be interesting to try Winamp visualizations on the Qualia 006. Winamp has an interesting pattern generator called "Milkdrop". The fractals patterns that are generated should look interesting on a 70 inch monitor and especially if the colors are as intense as you all indicate.

DVD player is still up in the air. I was going to get the Denon 3910 but it would not make sense to buy a blue ray later and have to put the Denon in the closet. Perhaps I will buy the Panasonic. What do you think a blue ray player will cost when it becomes available?

Dilbert1

They have them (Blu-Ray) now on eBay for $3,000 to $4,000.

Laterz
post #371 of 17325 Old 01-24-2005, 11:25 PM

<<They have them (Blu-Ray) now on eBay for $3,000 to $4,000.>>

And what exactly would one put in such a prize?
post #372 of 17325 Old 01-25-2005, 01:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by GBFreek
Wow, thats a classic!!!!

You appear more than a bit concerned about the 006 landing facedown on the pavment a few times............yikers!!!!

Actually, that's not me in the video - it's a good friend who stopped by to see the new TV. I was behind the camera. In the audio track you don't hear, we both gasped when the guys jammed the dolly up that makeshift ramp. But they knew what they were doing - not a hitch!
post #373 of 17325 Old 01-25-2005, 01:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Dilbert1

Dilbert1

Before buying any high def DVD player, consider the titles that may become available for it. Folks, I have a number of Betamax films in my collection, not to mention some original Discovision platters! And yes, I own an Edsel.

The fat lady has yet to sing on these format wars. It's gonna get uglier in the next few months. Let's pray for a compromise that will get high defintion DVD off the ground quickly and without a bloody battle that will only harm the cause.
post #374 of 17325 Old 01-25-2005, 05:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Have you compared the 6412's PQ via component rather than your current digital connection? I don't have my DVI-HDMI connector yet, so I'm watching the 6412 through the component cable and it looks great! Unless the DVI-HDMI connection is noticeably better, I may stick with component and eat the cost of the digital cable.

In playing with my Comcast DVR last night I didn't see a menu for setting output resolution. Can you advise where to find that setting? Does the setting only affect the DVI output and not component?

I have not noticed a difference between HDMI and component connections with the 6412 feeding the 006. Both are superb. Theoretically, as you know, the DVI-HDMI should look better since there won't be the analog to digital conversion that the analog component connection requires.

To get to the Comcast menu, shut off the 6412 and quickly press the Menu button on the 6412 remote. You'll get a menu. Near the top it will say something like DVI/Component output and you will be able to choose among 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i for both DVI and component. As I stated in my message, I like the look of the HD picture the best when the 6412 outputs 1080i programming with the 1080i setting cause it probably simply passes it through untouched.

Here are STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS I copied once from another thread:

To access this menu, power ON your HD Television, power
OFF the converter box and press the MENU button
on the remote. If you have a DVI cable hooked up (Or DVI to HDMI), you'll see something like:

>TV TYPE 16:9
DVI/YPbPr OUTPUT 1080I
4:3 OVERRIDE 480i

1) You'll notice the arrow to the left of TV TYPE. Start
here as the rest of the menu items are dependent
on this setting. Use the left and right arrow buttons
to select 16:9, 4:3 Letterbox, or 4:3 Pan Scan. This tells the
6412 what type of TV you have and how you prefer to
watch widescreen content.
o Choose 16:9 if you have a widescreen HDTV.
o Choose 4:3 Letterbox if you have a standard TV and
you prefer to watch widescreen programming in the
original aspect ratio. This is similar to watching a
widescreen DVD on a standard screen TV.
o Choose 4:3 Pan Scan if you have a standard TV and
you prefer that widescreen programming be cropped
to fill your screen. Think of it as watching a movie that
has been reformatted to fit your standard screen TV.

2) Next, use the down arrow button to select
DVI/YPbPr OUTPUT. This setting indicates the
picture resolution you prefer when watching high
definition programming.
o The choices are 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i.
o High Definition programming looks best in 1080i or
720p. The choice really comes down to which format
your HDTV supports and / or which format you think
looks best.

3) Finally, use the down button to select 4:3
OVERRIDE. This setting tells the box to either
pass the Standard Definition programming to your
TV in it's original broadcast format (select either 480i or
480p depending on which setting your TV supports ) or
convert it (select OFF) to the high definition resolution
selected in the DVI/YPbPr OUTPUT setting above.
Press the POWER or MENU button
to exit and save your settings.

If you're interested, there is another Comcast menu you can access. Shut off the 6412 and quickly press the "enter" ("select") key and you'll see another longer menu. Towards the bottom is a choice that is something like status of DVR (don't remember it exactly) with 2 pages, and on the second page you can see the temperature of the 6412, which runs hot. You'll see something like 102 or 108 degrees.
post #375 of 17325 Old 01-25-2005, 05:24 AM

ColorTV - I did not order the stand, as we (a) needed something slightly taller due to layout, and (b) don't know what the decorating "theme" of the family room is yet, although it will be a fight to keep my la-z-boy parked right in front of the 006. Sorry I can't help with your "lock down" issue. Does the set appear top-heavy or unstable?
post #376 of 17325 Old 01-25-2005, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

nhey,

Thanks much for sharing that priceless info about the Motorola 6412. Gotta love this forum - we're swapping info we might not get any other way. Heck, I might have been stuck with a spinning color wheel - dodged that bullet!
post #377 of 17325 Old 01-25-2005, 07:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by SABAlove
ColorTV - I did not order the stand, as we (a) needed something slightly taller due to layout, and (b) don't know what the decorating "theme" of the family room is yet, although it will be a fight to keep my la-z-boy parked right in front of the 006. Sorry I can't help with your "lock down" issue. Does the set appear top-heavy or unstable?

SABALove,

The set is not at all top heavy or unstable. But were you in Santa Monica during that nasty quake a few years ago? A friend of mine had a grand piano in his living room - it "hopped" over a foot on the carpet - there were no marks on the carpet showing impressions where the casters had slid the piano - it jumped over a foot through the air! Same could easily happen to the Qualia in a shaker like that which would be disastrous. Something for those of us who live in quake country to think about, and a reason to consider the Sony stand unless you lock your TV to another stand stand in a similar manner - as I intend to do!
post #378 of 17325 Old 01-25-2005, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by kaduku
Anyone,

Talking about letting the 006 do the upconverting, How about my Directv HD Receiver? Should I also set it to 480i or 480p so the 006 can upconvert to 1080p? The PQ I now get on HD channels are already pretty nice.

Good question.
I've played around with different settings with my DirecTV HD receiver and really can't tell a difference between setting. That's not saying there isn't a difference we just haven't been able to detect any.

dc

StayThristyMyFriends
post #379 of 17325 Old 01-25-2005, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Penton-Man
I already thought of that but
#1. I'm not sure the cable card will work with another set-top box. and

#2. I want the outputs on the back of the Hi-Def box to hook up to a D Theater machine.

Penton

There really isn't a good reason why a cablecard would prevent you also using a settop box. The cableco may tell you otherwise of course, they don't want you to use a cablecard.

Someone has already reported that they can record to HD-DVHS from the internal tuner using the firwire ports.
post #380 of 17325 Old 01-25-2005, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 71
The ideal thing to do with your Satellite and OTA receivers is set them
for native rate (or pass thru) resolution going to your 006. That way the
signal is only being scaled up once from the broadcaster's transmitted
resolution. Otherwise you will be trying to scale it down within the
receiver and back up by the TV thus introducing more picture degradation.
If your receiver does not offer a native rate option, I would set it at
1080i, which matches most of the broadcasters and the
interlaced equivalent of the 006 native rate.
For example I would leave the HDTivo at 1080i since it does not currently
offer a native rate setting.

Regards,
Martin

Obsessed for the ultimate PQ
post #381 of 17325 Old 01-25-2005, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Another nice stand that I am considering, the Java series (one is 75" wide and 24" deep for $950) from Sanus systems. www.sanus.com. Has anyone used their stands? No casters, though ...... although I suppose one could put them on oneself.

I would also be interested in how to lock down the 275-lb monster to another stand besides the Sony.

Cheers
post #382 of 17325 Old 01-25-2005, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Penton, do you have your panny s97 outputting 480p or higher ? Even if you choose 720p or 1080i the 006 will upscale to 1080p. Not sure if you tried the different resolutions on the panny to see what looks better on the 006. The thread on the dvd player says the MB fix was released 1/21 and is available from Panasonic.

As for CC+cable box, I don't see why it WON'T work. it's the same as connecting 2 cable boxes to your tv. For the CC+DVR to your 006, you'll need a splitter (1GHz for digital cable), the outside cable feed into the splitter, then one RF connection directly to the 006 cable in; the other RF from the splitter to the cable in on the DVR. Then run either DVI->HDMI or component from the DVR to the 006. With the cablecard, you'd watch tv using the 006's QAM tuner; while you'd tune in to the proper input on the 006 to watch anything off the DVR box. I bet your cable company just doesn't want to go through the hassle of setting this up, since it's not a standard config by them.

The cable card that goes into the 006 slot looks like a PCMCIA laptop card; the access card that goes into the DVR looks like a credit card.
post #383 of 17325 Old 01-25-2005, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by NorthJersey
Penton, do you have your panny s97 outputting 480p or higher ? Even if you choose 720p or 1080i the 006 will upscale to 1080p. Not sure if you tried the different resolutions on the panny to see what looks better on the 006. The thread on the dvd player says the MB fix was released 1/21 and is available from Panasonic.

The 006 does not upscale 1080i, it deinterlaces it. If the DVD player had a better scaler but worse deinterlacer than the 006, 1080i would be a good option. This is unlikely to be the case though. The best option for a DVD player is probably either 480p or 480i over HDMI.
post #384 of 17325 Old 01-25-2005, 08:56 AM

Joel:

I saw the Sanus Java stand at CES. i thought it was very attractive. It doesn't seem as substantial as the Salamander Designs but it definitely seemed well constructed. I've seen it for quite a bit less than $950 through some of the online vendors.

Ken Golden
post #385 of 17325 Old 01-25-2005, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Tulsa1
The ideal thing to do with your Satellite and OTA receivers is set them
for native rate (or pass thru) resolution going to your 006. That way the
signal is only being scaled up once from the broadcaster's transmitted
resolution. Otherwise you will be trying to scale it down within the
receiver and back up by the TV thus introducing more picture degradation.
If your receiver does not offer a native rate option, I would set it at
1080i, which matches most of the broadcasters and the
interlaced equivalent of the 006 native rate.
For example I would leave the HDTivo at 1080i since it does not currently
offer a native rate setting.

Regards,
Martin

Agreed, which is essentially what I did with my two cable company boxes.

The Adelphia moxi doesn't currently have native pass thru so I simply set it on 1080i and never watch any SD with that box.

The Hi-Def 6200 has native pass thru.
post #386 of 17325 Old 01-25-2005, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have the Panny outputting 1080i via the supplied(Yeah!) HDMI cable.

The pic has been so fine that I simply haven't gotten around to trying 480i over component and letting the 006 do all the heavy lifting.

I know about the new firmware for the Panny. Like I said, after watching about 15 DVD's, I never saw any MB which I believe is VERY display dependent and it appears not to be an issue with the 006/Panny player at all.

Nevertheless, I took my player into a local service center yesterday just before the 90-day warranty window, to have access to the new firmware with no money out of my pocket.

Who knows (after Blu-ray) I may eventually use the Panny player with a different TV which would bring out the MB effect to unacceptable levels.
post #387 of 17325 Old 01-25-2005, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by ADGrant
The 006 does not upscale 1080i, it deinterlaces it. If the DVD player had a better scaler but worse deinterlacer than the 006, 1080i would be a good option. This is unlikely to be the case though. The best option for a DVD player is probably either 480p or 480i over HDMI.

I think as previously discussed the best option with this TV would be for the player to pass 480i over HDMI - the fly in the ointment is very few players can do this.

Colortv's Sony player does.... but, then you have to look at the potential for tray locking and disc not playing problems.

Pick your poison.
post #388 of 17325 Old 01-25-2005, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member

Penton - yes, but only in the case of a DVD. For broadcast signals native pass through of 1080i or 720p to the 006 is best.
post #389 of 17325 Old 01-25-2005, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

nhey-
But, of course.

Please pass the Grey Poupon, I shall now retire to the home theater room for awhile.
post #390 of 17325 Old 01-25-2005, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As for CC+cable box, I don't see why it WON'T work. it's the same as connecting 2 cable boxes to your tv. For the CC+DVR to your 006, you'll need a splitter (1GHz for digital cable), the outside cable feed into the splitter, then one RF connection directly to the 006 cable in; the other RF from the splitter to the cable in on the DVR. Then run either DVI->HDMI or component from the DVR to the 006. With the cablecard, you'd watch tv using the 006's QAM tuner; while you'd tune in to the proper input on the 006 to watch anything off the DVR box. I bet your cable company just doesn't want to go through the hassle of setting this up, since it's not a standard config by them.

The cable card that goes into the 006 slot looks like a PCMCIA laptop card; the access card that goes into the DVR looks like a credit card.

I know, I am now strongly considering the cable card to replace my regular Hi-Def Moto 6200 box.
I foresee lower monthly fees, fewer wires and remotes, and maybe even a slightly sharper picture.

I just wish they had 2-way cable cards NOW. But I suppose since I already rent the Moxi it's a moot point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Sony