post #4141 of 17304 Old 04-08-2005, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by Joel
Thanks, brt3. I love your site, BTW. I am not going to chomp at the bit for a piece of hardware as yet undelivered and not-yet-in-production. There's plenty of time to add hardware later. If it's great with an 006, makes a huge difference, we'll all know pretty soon.

I would love to have Penton-Man, DiveDude, Kaduku, jb007 and the others back... Geez, I go on vacation and the whole place goes to heck!

Thanks, Joel -- I keep working on the site in bits and pieces, when time allows. I am always open to suggestions, if anyone thinks of something good to add. Trying to get the Qualia service manual converted to pdf and posted, but tax time is the worst...

Have to tranlate my tax bill into Qualias -- wouldn't that be depressing, as in "Guess what, honey --we bought the US gov't four Qualias this year!". Wonder how much that is in Penton-Paper? (bait, bait, bait)...

BTW, the rumors of Kaduku's demise are greatly exaggerated -- I think he's still around so don't write him off yet. As to the others -- "Lassie Come Home"...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4142 of 17304 Old 04-08-2005, 06:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mpgxsvcd
I don’t know if it is just me but I went to look at the Qualia 06 today and I was not impressed. I saw it at Audio Advice in Raleigh NC which is supposed to be a high end audio video store. Well all of their sets appeared to be well calibrated but the 06 just didn’t impress me as much as I had expected it too. It looked like any other well calibrated set I have seen. Now it definitely looked far better than any uncalibrated TV that you would see in BB or CC but it just didn’t look $10k better than my 55 WF655 GWIV. I am not trying to knock your TV but what did you see in it that made you drop 13 large? What was being displayed? Was it the 1080p WMV movies? I didn’t get a chance to see what the Qualia can do with a computer but I did see it with discovery HD so that should be pretty good. Anyway, I think I would rather have 4 WF655’s than 1 Qualia. Am I the only one who is not that impressed?

I was just at the Magnolia outlet today and was browsing around, though I did see some impressive sets, IMHO nothing still compares to the Q006 at the moment. Some folks have stated this before, that they were not impressed by the Q006, but also thought that there were possible factors involved (source, lighting, etc). Maybe someone screwed around with the settings. I am glad that you are happy with your 55 WF655 GWIV. It's also a Sony. I am also happy with my one Q006, in fact, I wish I had two.

Laterz
post #4143 of 17304 Old 04-08-2005, 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mpsan
editor58, glad you are here. My Q006 is being delivered next Wednesday at 3PM. I have Rotel as well...with a Meridian Proc and B&W all around. I also have a Sony 975 that I will unbox when I get the Q.

I do not like it when people screw up and they now seem to think that a simple "whatever" is OK!

So, since you, too, are a coffee snob, does this mean we are talking Bodum stuff?

No Bodum - I have a Bunn Rest. model customed into a single unit, Bunn Rest. grinder, and a Salvatore Commercial single group Espresso Machine, Nuvo Flat Burr Grinder... with the coffes machines all plumbed in...

I do like your component set-up!!

I keep hearing everyone setting up their picture to warm. If you ever watch the news magazines, All the shows are way "Over-Warmed".
For us to shoot at Dateline, our Camera has to see Roger Macie just outside of Boston. We go to his shop, Drop off the Camera, and then have
a late lunch at Durgin-Park. Pick up the Camera late in the day, and head back to NYC. The cameras are set up to the Roger Macie "Uni-Standard". Basically, Roger developed a "LOOK" that NBC likes, so all the Shooters have their cameras set-up by Roger so when we show up for a two or three camera shoot, they will be very close to matching, and all we have to do is a minor "paint-job" with the camera paintboxes. It saves a lot of time. BUT, all the cameras are VERY WARM. Add to that the AMBER gels for the backgrounds that we use (cause NBC like it that way), and you have an exceeding warm picture. I prefer to have my TV color temp at around 7K kelvin. It tends to compensate for over saturated Chroma, but that is too much for many of the shows like CSI, or even Sports, which is perfect at 65K kelvin. So, there really is no winning. Every one of the networks has their own Master control standard.

NTSC= Never-Twice the-Same-Color

EDITOR

5 Emmy Awards - SO WHAT!
post #4144 of 17304 Old 04-08-2005, 06:15 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

Originally posted by brt3
[b]hifi59,
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When I set up my Q006 -- using the DVE D-VHS tape -- I thought the reduced power setting seemed to lower the contrast of the set. One thing about reds on this set -- you've never seen red until you've seen it on a Qualia. Red has always been difficult to reproduce via the NTSC system so the red we're all used to is, technically, inaccurate. That being said, the first time you play "Moulin Rouge" on the Qualia it blows you away...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i agree.. the reds are great. what i was referring to though is a red "cast" to the picture. u can see it in a white scene. nothing severe, but still there. when i engage reduced power mode, not only is light output reduced (good for my viewing situation) but the red cast seems to disappear making the image very neutral to my eyes. i prefer this mode in conjunction with cinema pro. image appears cleaner and more 3d like to me. BTW.. if u do not have the richard gray power company conditioner (750.00 for model 400s) u don't know what u r missing. it cleans and tightens blacks and strips images of noise like no other component i have seen. helps with audio too. u WILL see a difference within 30 minutes of installing . u will finally see it at its best when it's been running for about 5 or 6 days. my 2nd best investment yet (006 is first).

If you're talkin, you ain't learnin.
post #4145 of 17304 Old 04-08-2005, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by hifi59
i agree.. the reds are great. what i was referring to though is a red "cast" to the picture. u can see it in a white scene. nothing severe, but still there. when i engage reduced power mode, not only is light output reduced (good for my viewing situation) but the red cast seems to disappear making the image very neutral to my eyes.

Hmmm... I don't see this "red shift" at all on my Qualia; can you post your settings?

We are in agreement about power conditioning, although the results vary tremendously depending on the quality of the electrical supply delivered into your home. I used to live out in the country, and must've been the farthest house from the utility's substation. The voltage swing was ridiculous -- from 106 to 126 -- and it used to drive my Monster AVS2000 absolutely nuts trying to smooth that input into a steady-state 120V output. Most gear is not designed for such extreme conditions, but the Monster did an admirable job of coping...

post #4146 of 17304 Old 04-08-2005, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Too bad Penton-Man can't add a succinctly wry comment here...

I've always loved the concept of the potential beauty and grace of a Dragonfly with substandard wind currents, although some *salesman* would demand it have two Realta chips in its arse to have any meaningful firepower and invariably a Judas that sold his principles and support for 30 pieces of silver (or would that be 2K ?) would align himself accordingly.
post #4147 of 17304 Old 04-08-2005, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

HE'S BACK...WB
post #4148 of 17304 Old 04-08-2005, 06:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Joel
Kaduku, I guess you're still here! lol Post appropriately edited...

I missed what you edited, but yes, I'm still here Haven't heard from you awhile.

Laterz
post #4149 of 17304 Old 04-08-2005, 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mpsan
I would like to use my cable. So, I would need a recorder with builtin ATSC/QAM tuner. I would like a PVR and not tape. The problem with using the Qualia is that I would need to have it on in order to record.

Rather salient point there in that you certainly WILL NOT be leaving the Q on just to time-shift! Except in the case where a cable company offers an HDPVR I don't think what you want exists quite yet however it should shortly. I anticipate PC ATSC tuner cards with CableCard slots which will allow you to have PVR functionality and enjoy all the benefits of an HTPC. It's not there yet but it's just a matter of time

Home Theater is BAD for the waistline.
post #4150 of 17304 Old 04-08-2005, 08:01 PM

Editor 58 ....check your PM,ages

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"
- Arthur C. Clarke

Regards,

Neo2005
post #4151 of 17304 Old 04-08-2005, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Penton-Man
I've always loved the concept of the potential beauty and grace of a Dragonfly with substandard wind currents, although some *salesman* would demand it have two Realta chips in its arse to have any meaningful firepower and invariably a Judas that sold his principles and support for 30 pieces of silver (or would that be 2K ?) would align himself accordingly.

IT'S ALIVE!!!!!

Just when you thought it was safe to go back into the thread...

post #4152 of 17304 Old 04-08-2005, 08:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:

Joel & jp2 -- you bring up good points. I am looking to improve the quality of SD sources on the Qualia. SD-Comcast is very hard to stomach, and though the set's DVD performance is outstanding I think it can be improved. This is a matter of "how you gonna keep them down on the farm once they've seen the city". I've seen something approximating perfection watching good HD material on the Qualia, and am greedy for more...

Ideally I'll be able to find a unit to demo or take home on a trial basis. The more I read about the Realta/HQV/Teranex technology the more it seems it does a bit more than the scaler/processor in the Qualia (though nobody at Sony is giving out any details on that). I'm also impressed by Algolith and I suspect the combination of the two companies might result in a killer product. Algolith suggest using the Dragonfly and Mosquito together (surprise, surprise); even though I seek video nirvana I think that might be overkill for me...

Too bad Penton-Man can't add a succinctly wry comment here...

Definately demo a unit before buying. If your SD-Comcast signal is a lot worst than DVD quality, I'd conclude that whatever is degrading their SD signal, can't be fixed with a Dragonfly or any other processing.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #4153 of 17304 Old 04-08-2005, 08:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 461
Blatant antisemitism by a poster? What's next? Makes me want to puke in his face. Maybe someday I'll get the chance.

Sorry, but to call a Jewish forum member a Judas, and to think this piece of fecal matter poster was once a government servant. I'm Jewish too. There is no place here or anywhere for any of that stuff and everyone here should condemn him pure and simple.

I put him on my ignore list but since somebody feels it necessary to quote him I get to see it. Please spare me and don't quote him.

Those who want to learn about video processors should spend some time on the video processor forum.

I had the pleasure of hosting a breakfast at the Las Vegas CES where various processor manufacturers and AVS forum members had a chance to meet, break some bread, and ask and answer questions etc. I do know quite a bit about processors but I do not consider myself to be an expert and I am quite capable of an incorrect explanation.

There are several new chips and chip sets to do video processing, Specifically, The Realta by Silicon Optix, the new Gennum chip, and the new Faroudja chip set.

There has been a lot of marketing, specifically that the Realta chip is the same as a Teranex but now on a chip. The 1080p Faroudja processor shipment is imminent, no processors have been announced using the Gennum chip, and the first processor to use the Realta chip will be the Dragonfly.

It should be noted that Silicon Opix designed a board to demonstrate its chip and that Algolith is essentially placing this board with minor tweaks and improvements in a case to relatively quickly bring a processor to market. Alan Gouger has questioned whether this first generation Realta based Algolith product will do what the members of he processor forum want and need. Also it should be noted that the Dragonfly will not have HD noise reduction as the Mosquito has, but only SD noise reduction. The Realta is a programmable chip and there is only so much that can be put on one chip. The deinterlacing and scaling capabilities of the Realta are capable of continued improvement and I am sure both Silicon Optix and Algolith are working to make such improvements. Both companies have great expertise and abilities. I think we shall see great things to come from Algolith particularly in the generation after the Dragonfly. Anyway I am rambling on but those who are interested in this stuff can go to the processor forum and read the Algolith threads and the Realta threads. There is a lot of stuff in there including lots of posts by Algolith and Silicon Optix people. Good people they all are too.

OK. So what does all this have o do with the 006. How good is the deinterlacing and scaling in the 006? Remember 480i and 1080i signals have to be deinterlaced and scaled to 1080p. And 480p and 720p need to be scaled to 1080p.

All three chips discussed above have great ability to deinterlace 1080i to 1080p using motion adaptive deinterlacing (both for 1080i film and video). It would appear these abilities can not be used with he 006 since it does not appear to accept 1080p in. Deinterlacing of 480i and scaling deinterlaced 480i and 480p to 720p (remember scaling it do 1080p does no good) by a separate processor may show some improvement over whats inside the 006. But it looks like we will not be able to get around the 1080i deinterlacer in the 006 which I suspect, but do not know, is not motion adaptive but rather simple bob and weave nor can we avoid the scaling from 720p.

By the way the champion for deinterlacing 480i video as distinguished from 480i film is the Faroudja with DCDI. But I being a sports nut who watches lots of 480i sports want something better. It is not at all clear whether the 480i video deinterlacing of the Realta will be better or as good as the Faroudja. Time will tell.

I guess I am a just a Jewish salesman. But the way this SOB poster keeps trying to crucify me or anyone who aligns himself with me (barf, where is it necessary or appropriate for anyone to align himself with anybody here), its a good thing I am not a Jewish carpenter. Peace and love to you all. God bless the United States.

Mark Haflich

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

call me at: 240 876 2536
post #4154 of 17304 Old 04-08-2005, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mark -- don't assume anything of other people on this thread. I quoted PM because I was glad to see him back. I follow this thread on my Treo 600 when I'm not at home, and it is pretty tough to read on a small device like that. I didn't "read" the implication into PM's comment that you describe, although now that you point it out I guess it was meant for you.

People -- can we try to keep this thread positive and informative? I think the majority of posters here would like to keep this thread alive as it's a vital resource. If it descends further into the muck it will either get shut down or abandoned by the people who post here. The sad thing would be if that happened because of what boils down to a quarrel between two people, each of whom have good things to add to the thread...

post #4155 of 17304 Old 04-08-2005, 10:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Mark -- don't assume anything of other people on this thread. I quoted PM because I was glad to see him back. I follow this thread on my Treo 600 when I'm not at home, and it is pretty tough to read on a small device like that. I didn't "read" the implication into PM's comment that you describe, although now that you point it out I guess it was meant for you.

People -- can we try to keep this thread positive and informative? I think the majority of posters here would like to keep this thread alive as it's a vital resource. If it descends further into the muck it will either get shut down or abandoned by the people who post here. The sad thing would be if that happened because of what boils down to a quarrel between two people, each of whom have good things to add to the thread...

Hey, at least we are somewhat communicating again!

Laterz
post #4156 of 17304 Old 04-08-2005, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by kaduku
Hey, at least we are somewhat communicating again!

Kaduku -- you stayin' dry? Looks like the Giants are getting rained on -- and they just won with a HR by Marquis Grissom...

post #4157 of 17304 Old 04-08-2005, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, a walk-off 3 run blast. What a game.
post #4158 of 17304 Old 04-08-2005, 10:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Kaduku -- you stayin' dry? Looks like the Giants are getting rained on -- and they just won with a HR by Marquis Grissom...

I wish I could share your excitement, but I'm a A's fan. Though I'm glad they're getting rained on

Laterz
post #4159 of 17304 Old 04-08-2005, 11:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by kaduku
I wish I could share your excitement, but I'm a A's fan. Though I'm glad they're getting rained on

Hahahahaha!!!! I'm not much of a baseball fan, but I turned on the game during the eighth inning and it was a pretty great finish. Best game I ever saw was an A's game I went to last year in Oakland, though...

Unlike tonight's Golden State game, however, the Giants game was "girly-man" SD...

post #4160 of 17304 Old 04-08-2005, 11:12 PM
AVS Special Member

i certainly do not read into PM's post that which mark accuses him of; i know exactly what PM was getting at...judas was a traitor...PM feels that someone here betrayed him...no anti semitism...to say that it was is just ridiculous.

to make that accusation is just ludicrous and only meant to infuriate/intimidate people...so often that accusation is hurled without justification simply because it is one of those "hot button" issues...

maybe this thread should get closed...jb, you can have a moderator close this thread you know...

[EDIT: added "intimidate" since that is also what it is used for and apparently accomplished just that by illiciting apologies from other posters]
post #4161 of 17304 Old 04-09-2005, 01:03 AM

Is everything Kosher? Now back to real stuff...................................

As to the speakers I have found them to be pretty darn good for casual listening. If I fire up all my amps they power company has to bring a second reactor online. I have mine on the surround mode and other than lacking in base they do a somewhat convincing job. Mabye it is because they are so darn far apart on the beast but I get real good stereo separation.
post #4162 of 17304 Old 04-09-2005, 01:21 AM

Sometimes with Video I feel like the blond who is not burdened with intelligent thoughts. Since I am apparently NOT any kind of videophile I just sit, slackjawed on my couch and take in the best damn picture I have EVER seen. As to red push in the white backgrounds...........I can't see it as I am reaching for my sunglasses.

Funny story. We had friends over tonight and they have never seen a 70 inch TV let alone anything like the Q. I had just turned it on and they were commenting how bright it was and suddenly the picture changed to a sunset. You could see everyone flopping around putting their hands up to shield their eyes going OMFG. Timing was perfect.

All I can tell you is that like the big boobed Blond, I am not burdened by thinking too much about the picture. It is amazing but you can actually read labels and writing on things in the scene backgrounds. I NEVER saw anything like that before. It simply gives me wood. (especially the 1080i Bikini destinations). I don't know what the show was but I was entranced by some underwater show with coral, fish and whatnot. There was one tonight on INHD that was on California. Skydiving, Redwoods, Skiing, Surfing, it is like being there. The detail this set produces is simply in a league by itself. I've had plasma (which was good) but the Q is my new girlfriend because she is much prettier and she really puts out.

DVD's look awesome and EVERY DVD I own now seems new. So it can Bob or Weave or even use a flux capacitor because I just don't care. I love those little Japanese engineers at Sony even if they did sneak attack us once.
post #4163 of 17304 Old 04-09-2005, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MotorMouth777

It simply gives me wood. (especially the 1080i Bikini destinations). ... The detail this set produces is simply in a league by itself. I've had plasma (which was good) but the Q is my new girlfriend because she is much prettier and she really puts out.

So it can Bob or Weave or even use a flux capacitor because I just don't care. I love those little Japanese engineers at Sony even if they did sneak attack us once.

I take it you are VERY happy with your purchase
post #4164 of 17304 Old 04-09-2005, 07:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by BenDover

maybe this thread should get closed...jb, you can have a moderator close this thread you know...

Now let's not mention closing this thread anymore. We have to think of positive things. It wouldn't be fair to everyone else, especially the new owners who do want to continue this thing.

Laterz
post #4165 of 17304 Old 04-09-2005, 08:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 461
I agree this thread should not be closed. This is a very good thread which many people enjoy.

BTW Bendover I haven't asked anybody to post anything about me.

BTW. What purpose did the post I took offense at serve? Read it. Why was it made? As some sort of joke in poor taste or as something designed to inflame or seek division or alignment between sides? If that post wasn't made, things would have been a lot better.

I have been respectful of the member's wishes here as most of us to get things back to friends helping each other and sharing a little of our lives as 006 owners. Most I think know that and understand that.

If certain others can control themselves and keep things constructive and/or social, so can I.

A very nice solution here. The original poster deletes the offending post, I delete my response, and the quoters delete their posts. Everything goes away and all is forgiven. What a deal. Are we all here big enough to do something like that?

Mark Haflich

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

call me at: 240 876 2536
post #4166 of 17304 Old 04-09-2005, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by BenDover
i certainly do not read into PM's post that which mark accuses him of; i know exactly what PM was getting at...judas was a traitor...PM feels that someone here betrayed him...no anti semitism...to say that it was is just ridiculous.

to make that accusation is just ludicrous and only meant to infuriate/intimidate people...so often that accusation is hurled without justification simply because it is one of those "hot button" issues...

EXACT-A-MUNDO Eileen said.

The wry comment was submitted to evoke a substantive post from somebody with the knowledge and ability to help other 006 owners on this thread with his guidance rather than sitting back and watch everyone here stumble over their video processor concerns, when he could easily shed some light on this subject.

The bait worked !

Unfortunately, it was prefaced by some self-righteous martyrdom dribble. I am extremely unconcerned (to the point of boredom) about ANYBODY'S religious affiliation, ethnic background, or skin pigmentation.

I'm sure he knows that Judas was used as a generic term for a sell-out ..nothing more.nothing less. Perhaps if I were to refer to him in the future as *the salesman with the J.D., I will be accused of prejudice against underachievers.
post #4167 of 17304 Old 04-09-2005, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Zechman
Penton: You have a PM.

--Dwayne

Sorry man,
I can not read it. After nurturing you through the Qualia waiting period for so long, I am more disappointed in your actions than anything that some jack-arse could say.
post #4168 of 17304 Old 04-09-2005, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

Well I guess that answers my question.

And I'm sorry, too. I still think of you as a friend, and I hope the feeling is mutual.

--Dwayne

Got a PS3?
post #4169 of 17304 Old 04-09-2005, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

PM, Bottom line is that I will always back you up man!

Laterz
post #4170 of 17304 Old 04-09-2005, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Geez, Mark and everyone, lighten up. I'm Jewish too and took no offense from the post. It's just a forum. People can call me whatever they want here, shucks, I don't care. I'm glad to see PM back, for one.

In my five years on this forum I have never put anyone on my "ignore" list, although I've been tempted from time to time. Usually, just before I do it, I say to myself, "hey, maybe it was ME that was the jerk this time," laugh it off and forget about it.

Cheers all. welcome back, PM!

And Kaduku, I had your name in a list of folks I wanted to see back on the forum, finding you back I took it out.

Later!
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Sony

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page