QUALIA 006 Owner's Thread - Page 148 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4411 of 17304 Old 04-12-2005, 11:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It was showing three resolutions. The one I choose was the largest at 1920 x 1080. It seems that my Mac Mini has too much of a wussie video card to run at that resolution. The new powerbooks have a video card that is capable of running their 30 inch cinema wide at 2500 x 1600 so it seems to handle the Qualia just fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4412 of 17304 Old 04-12-2005, 11:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Penton's Poor Man's (i.e. without ISF calibration) Settings to the Perfect Picture
With special thanks to umr and brt's for their collaborative input.

Jb007- you can post this on page 1 or in the jury room for a diversionary tactic.

Picture Mode - Pro
Picture - 55
Brightness - 29
Color - 33
Hue - 0
Sharpness - 25
Color Temp - Warm
Noise Reduction - Off
Direct Mode - Off
Game Mode - Off
BN Smoother - off
Cinema Black Pro - On
Color Space - Normal
Color Corrector - Off
DTE - Off
Clear White - Off
Detail Enhancer - Off
Black Corrector - Off
Gamma Corrector - Off
White Balance - Default settings (i.e. - all 0)

The above were the only settings that I have found to make viewing 24 acceptable to my ocular globes and pristine to everything else on broadcast cable HDTV.
post #4413 of 17304 Old 04-13-2005, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

With so much discussion in this thread about the Sony 975 player can anyone offer a subjective or analytical comparison to other inexpensive upconverting DVD players like the bravo or samsung models,particularly if connected to the Q006?
post #4414 of 17304 Old 04-13-2005, 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by colortv
Here are a couple of items that may interest some of you regarding Apple's possible adoption of Blu-Ray burners in upcoming PowerMac G5's, as well as hardware and software that will likely result in significantly more HD content for us to watch on our Qualia 006's. Blu-Ray burners in G5's mated with Final Cut Pro HD editing software and Apple's DVD Studio Pro authoring software could make burning high def DVD's from HDV and other HD camcorders a reality, and soon. The NAB convention starts in Las Vegas next week, and several companies including Apple and Panasonic are making major HD announcements.

One of the legendary Apple rumor websites has this unsubstantiated speculation regarding Blu-Ray DVD burners:

"there have been rumblings that the new Power Mac G5s will feature Blu-Ray SuperDrives, making Apple the first company to ship the technology. Apple joined the Blu-Ray Association's Board of Directors on March 10, and Apple was the first company to ship a DVD recorder when it introduced the SuperDrive with Power Mac G4 systems, lending some credibility to this rumor."

Also, this link has some interesting HD stuff coming up at NAB. The Panny HD camcorder recording 24p on solid state media is major stuff:
http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=993

Thus... expect Blu-Movies on Blu-Ray very shortly thereafter.

Home Theater is BAD for the waistline.
post #4415 of 17304 Old 04-13-2005, 06:06 AM

Oh, and did I mention the waiting positively sucks? I suppose it's good to have time to get the rest of the room ready (moving everything to a still-not-appropriate-enough HT area) but... AAARGGH!

Home Theater is BAD for the waistline.
post #4416 of 17304 Old 04-13-2005, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

mp-san,

(digression: i've been receiving some foreign communications lately addressing me with -san and i get a kick out of it...i feel like the karate kid )

i guess you are less than 24 hours away from touchdown of your Q006, I feel the excitement for you.

i look forward to seeing some pics of the setup and possibly of the difficulty of carrying the set into its final resting place for your particular arrangement.

i'm getting a bit nervous about getting my set into its home as i believe i will definitely have to unpack it before carrying it in.
post #4417 of 17304 Old 04-13-2005, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, Ben-san...

That is not why I picked the san. I have been to Japan 45 times and san is 3. So a while ago I chose MP3...get it?

Yup...I am 7 hours away now.

Also...re others questions about the 975, I got one when I bought the Q006. I opened it up this past weekend to check FW version. It is 1.9 and s/n 2023xxx. I hooked it up via HDMI to my new plasma and it looked great!

I never watched anything, but wanted to be sure it worked OK as the same store could just bring another one (today) when the Q was delivered! It seemed OK, but yesterday I pressed the power button on the 975 , not the remote, and it said Welcome. Then I hit open. It said Open...but did not! I tried several times. I pulled the plug, and tried again and it has been OK ever since. I will be talking to the dealer again this AM before he delivers the Q006.

Anyone know if this is the traylock bug? I have been told my 975 came from the new batch and was not remanufactured. It sure looked new!

Also, I tried MP3's on CD-RW and a movie on DVD+RW and they were OK. But, MP3's on a DVD+RW would not play. Is this to be expected? Why would Sony care if the MP3 was on a DVD+RW?

Quote:

Originally posted by BenDover
mp-san,

(digression: i've been receiving some foreign communications lately addressing me with -san and i get a kick out of it...i feel like the karate kid )

i guess you are less than 24 hours away from touchdown of your Q006, I feel the excitement for you.

i look forward to seeing some pics of the setup and possibly of the difficulty of carrying the set into its final resting place for your particular arrangement.

i'm getting a bit nervous about getting my set into its home as i believe i will definitely have to unpack it before carrying it in.

post #4418 of 17304 Old 04-13-2005, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by MotorMouth777
It was showing three resolutions. The one I choose was the largest at 1920 x 1080. It seems that my Mac Mini has too much of a wussie video card to run at that resolution. The new powerbooks have a video card that is capable of running their 30 inch cinema wide at 2500 x 1600 so it seems to handle the Qualia just fine.

you say you selected the full 1920x1080 but yet in your original post didn't you indicate that it didn't occupy the entire screen?
post #4419 of 17304 Old 04-13-2005, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by BenDover

If you have to unpack the set:

1) Try to have them keep the protective wrap on the set
2) Try to have them keep the set in the boxes lower tray as long as is possible;, this has very good handles for them to use and supports it nicely from underneath...

post #4420 of 17304 Old 04-13-2005, 08:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Using my "savings" from buying through DocDVD, I purchased the Direc TV HD Tivo and activated it on Sunday. We recorded Deadwood on Direc TV and Time Warner SA 8300HD, and CSI Miami on DirecTV and OTA. My observations: 1) couldn't see any significant difference between either source on "Deadwood". I thought TW was minutely better and wife thought Direc TV was minutely better. 2) OTA was definitely better than Direc TV for CSI. Conclusion: TW's compression is about equal to that of Direc TV. I have the SA 8300HD set up to pass through the native resolution, and have left the HR10-250 set at 1080i. SD on the Q006 is clearly better to my eye from the Direc TV Tivo box at 1080i than from the SA 8300HD at 480i. In fact, it's the best SD I've seen, period. It is better than that from my older Sony SAT T 60 Direc TV Tivo sending SD to the Q006 via the composite connection, my previous best. Conclusion: The HR10-250 has a pretty good scaler and the Q006 really likes it's output. Both source devices are sending the signal directly to the Q006 via HDMI on inputs 6 and 7. When we watch ABC HD, I'll switch between 720p and 1080i output from the HR10-250 to see if there is any difference, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. The Tivo unit's user interface is so much better than that of the SA 8300HD that we are dropping the TW HBO service. The only reason we don't drop TW entirely is it's the only place for my wife's "Tennis Channel".
post #4421 of 17304 Old 04-13-2005, 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by brt3
No problem at all, SF -- there's a lot of pages here...

So -- was the Realta you saw inside a Denon 5910? If so I have high hopes for what an Algolith Dragonfly (or other external Realta/HQV processor) will do, as they use a fuller implementation of the chip than Denon...

No, not inside the 5910, something that will likely be much more close to your Dragonfly implementation.
post #4422 of 17304 Old 04-13-2005, 08:46 AM

Brt3-

There has been some significant praise on the Q006's internal processing capabilities. Having not seen a Q006 in person yet (to be corrected in Vegas this weekend), I can't really comment on comparing it to what I saw. Even after this weekend, it won't be a side by side with the same source material, set-up, etc., so likely not a valid comparison anyway.

I think your upcoming setup will be a great test of just how good the Q006s internal and Realta based external processing are (or at least the incremental advantages of one over the other). I am not sure if you also have a plasma display (or other RPTV), but that would be a great way to see the benefits of a Realta based processor vs. those sets baseline capabilities (assuming the Q006 already has upgraded internals over a standard/non-Qualia display).

SF
post #4423 of 17304 Old 04-13-2005, 08:50 AM

Just in case-
1) I don't sell any A/V gear, so I am not trying to sell processors here
2) I don't work for any Company that is bringing, or is trying to bring, any A/V gear or their sub-components to market
post #4424 of 17304 Old 04-13-2005, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by SF_Theater
Just in case-
1) I don't sell any A/V gear, so I am not trying to sell processors here
2) I don't work for any Company that is bringing, or is trying to bring, any A/V gear or their sub-components to market

post #4425 of 17304 Old 04-13-2005, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Brt3-

There has been some significant praise on the Q006's internal processing capabilities. Having not seen a Q006 in person yet (to be corrected in Vegas this weekend), I can't really comment on comparing it to what I saw. Even after this weekend, it won't be a side by side with the same source material, set-up, etc., so likely not a valid comparison anyway.

I think your upcoming setup will be a great test of just how good the Q006s internal and Realta based external processing are (or at least the incremental advantages of one over the other). I am not sure if you also have a plasma display (or other RPTV), but that would be a great way to see the benefits of a Realta based processor vs. those sets baseline capabilities (assuming the Q006 already has upgraded internals over a standard/non-Qualia display).

SF

SF -- Sounds like an interesting time to be in Vegas. Is that the NAB convention?

I actually do have other non-Qualia sets (gasp!); that's one of the things that covers my assets on the Dragonfly. If it works great on the Qualia I'll leave it there; if not I can use it on a plasma set I have. But I'm bettin' it blows up SD sources real good! (apologies to John Candy & Joe Flaherty)

I would really love to see a head-to-head comparison between the current (or soon to be current) cream-of-the-crop 1080P RPTVs. Didn't one of the professional-oriented shows used to do head-to-head "shootouts" with front-projectors?

post #4426 of 17304 Old 04-13-2005, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

Originally posted by Ted99
. SD on the Q006 is clearly better to my eye from the Direc TV Tivo box at 1080i than from the SA 8300HD at 480i. In fact, it's the best SD I've seen, period. Conclusion: The HR10-250 has a pretty good scaler and the Q006 really likes it's output. The Tivo unit's user interface is so much better than that of the SA 8300HD .

Ted99,
Thanks for your comparison. I am glad to hear that you liked the SD so much with D*on the Q. I have the HDTivo also and love their user interface! Too bad they are not renewing their agreement with Tivo after the contract runs out. D* is making their own software and I hope they "steal" as much as possible from Tivo - MUCH nicer than that in my Moto box with Comcast. Ironically, Tivo signed up with Comcast recently.

In the coming 6-24 months (my guess) D* will need to replace your new unit with one that handles the new mpeg-4 compression that they are changing to. If D* uses some of their added space (new birds going up & better compression) to increase the QUALITY of(many of) the existing channels then the 006 mights have SD that "almost" wows people as much as HD (relatively of course).

Ron
post #4427 of 17304 Old 04-13-2005, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

yesterday I pressed the power button on the 975 , not the remote, and it said Welcome. Then I hit open. It said Open...but did not! I tried several times. I pulled the plug, and tried again and it has been OK ever since. I will be talking to the dealer again this AM before he delivers the Q006.

Anyone know if this is the traylock bug? I have been told my 975 came from the new batch and was not remanufactured. It sure looked new![/b]

I guess I have been very lucky, because I have not had one glitch with the tray locking issue on my 975 DVD player. I bought it in January, supposedly before any new firmware was released. Fingers crossed it continues to impress me!
post #4428 of 17304 Old 04-13-2005, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Hello Color...

I guess what I wonder now is if I should replace it now or just let it go and see how it does when I start using it with the Q...in a few more hours!

BTW, have you tried MP3 on DVD+RW? As I said, Movies work but MP3's will only work on cd media.

Quote:

Originally posted by colortv
I guess I have been very lucky, because I have not had one glitch with the tray locking issue on my 975 DVD player. I bought it in January, supposedly before any new firmware was released. Fingers crossed it continues to impress me!

post #4429 of 17304 Old 04-13-2005, 10:24 AM

I just purchased the amazing Qualia 006. Even though it was supposed to come in at $10K rather than 13K, at least you know when you buy it that you made the right decision. The extra $3K is worth it just to reinforce your decision. The picture is stunning with 1080i. My local store in Santa Monica, CA has it next to all of the expensive plasmas. It clearly outperforms them and is just as bright. Where is really struts its stuff is with texture, especially with sky and water.

I brought home the sony $300 and the new Panasonic $300 dvd player and put them head to head. I preferre the build qualifty and remote of the panasonic. It was also marginally brighter and sharper. However, you don't use the scaler in either and let the Qualia do the scaling. I couldn't get the panasonic to output anything through the HDMI output with 480p, but that is probably optimal because it won't do 480i. The sony allowed me to do all outputs. There is no color shift problem with the sony as long as you use 480i or 480p because then the TV will use the standard color decoder. I settled on the 480p output on the Sony but will revaluate if the 480i is better tonight. The sony picture was less noisy, more filmlike and more natural looking. It invited me into the picture more. Isn't that what it is really all about. I am keeping the Sony and returning the Panasonic.
post #4430 of 17304 Old 04-13-2005, 10:30 AM

BenDover

At 1920 x 1080 it did not fill the entire screen. Looked like it was a 58 inch widescreen inside the 70 screensize of the Q. About 6 inches of extra space at the corners.

Pictures looked good..........just not the full 70 inches.
post #4431 of 17304 Old 04-13-2005, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Nice first post, gFrank.

I think I will keep my Sony 975, but may ask for a new one if my problem was, in fact, the tray lock issue.

Quote:

Originally posted by gFrank
I just purchased the amazing Qualia 006. Even though it was supposed to come in at $10K rather than 13K, at least you know when you buy it that you made the right decision. The extra $3K is worth it just to reinforce your decision. The picture is stunning with 1080i. My local store in Santa Monica, CA has it next to all of the expensive plasmas. It clearly outperforms them and is just as bright. Where is really struts its stuff is with texture, especially with sky and water.

I brought home the sony $300 and the new Panasonic $300 dvd player and put them head to head. I preferre the build qualifty and remote of the panasonic. It was also marginally brighter and sharper. However, you don't use the scaler in either and let the Qualia do the scaling. I couldn't get the panasonic to output anything through the HDMI output with 480p, but that is probably optimal because it won't do 480i. The sony allowed me to do all outputs. There is no color shift problem with the sony as long as you use 480i or 480p because then the TV will use the standard color decoder. I settled on the 480p output on the Sony but will revaluate if the 480i is better tonight. The sony picture was less noisy, more filmlike and more natural looking. It invited me into the picture more. Isn't that what it is really all about. I am keeping the Sony and returning the Panasonic.

post #4432 of 17304 Old 04-13-2005, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by MotorMouth777
BenDover

At 1920 x 1080 it did not fill the entire screen. Looked like it was a 58 inch widescreen inside the 70 screensize of the Q. About 6 inches of extra space at the corners.

Pictures looked good..........just not the full 70 inches.

so what does this mean...not 1:1 pixel mapping???

anyone?
post #4433 of 17304 Old 04-13-2005, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
We've heard rumblings of this before, but there is an article in USA Today that may be good news, with the headline Sony says open to avoiding DVD format war.

post #4434 of 17304 Old 04-13-2005, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by jb007
We've heard rumblings of this before, but there is an article in USA Today that may be good news, with the headline Sony says open to avoiding DVD format war.

i don't see it happening...all the companies have too much at stake with their patent portfolios and the associated licensing pools...unless they can construct a format that somehow makes use of all, or substantially all, of the respective patents, the companies won't be willing to forego the large amounts of royalty income...imho
post #4435 of 17304 Old 04-13-2005, 12:31 PM

BenDover-

Tend to agree, but losing some/all of their licensing revenue may be better than losing the format war and then having to pay licensing fees/royalties to someone else to be able to sell products.

SF
post #4436 of 17304 Old 04-13-2005, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

BenDover-

Tend to agree, but losing some/all of their licensing revenue may be better than losing the format war and then having to pay licensing fees/royalties to someone else to be able to sell products.

SF

yes, that is the risk associated...and if sony doesn't have a short memory, they will remind themselves of the betamax fiasco
post #4437 of 17304 Old 04-13-2005, 12:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked: 461
OT. Don't believe those magazines that are reporting a MSRP of $12,000 for the Qualia 005. Expect $15,000 saith Sony sources.

Mark Haflich

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

call me at: 240 876 2536
post #4438 of 17304 Old 04-13-2005, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by mark haflich
OT. Don't believe those magazines that are reporting a MSRP of $12,000 for the Qualia 005. Expect $15,000 saith Sony sources.

for a 46" lcd???
post #4439 of 17304 Old 04-13-2005, 01:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Sounds like we're confusing the 005 and the 006.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #4440 of 17304 Old 04-13-2005, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by JimP
Sounds like we're confusing the 005 and the 006.

i don't think so; mark is saying that the real price for the upcoming 005 is more than some sources would have you believe.

the 005 is sony's new lcd (i believe it is 46") that uses the tri-luminous led for backlighting as opposed to the traditional manner for providing light in lcd panels.

sounds like it is going to be very pricey...especially if you normalize it to screen size...my purchase feels more justified to me now
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Sony

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page