Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by nhey
Kaduku,

VERY NICE!!

Suggest you consider a 6500K bulb 'bias' light behind the 006 rather than a lamp right next to it.

nhey,
Can you elaborate more on this?

Laterz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 17304 Old 01-26-2005, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
Here is some good discussion on bias lighting
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=bias+lighting

Is it LIVE or is it on a Sony XBR 65X950B
post #453 of 17304 Old 01-26-2005, 10:44 AM

I bought one of these several years ago to use with my direct-view CRT.

(Now I just need a Qualia 006 to go with it!)

Link: http://www.cinemaquestinc.com/ideal_lume.htm

Be skiing ya,

DSG
post #454 of 17304 Old 01-26-2005, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks Tulsa and h20sports,

Very informative stuff. Has any 006 owners done this or is thinking about it? If so, send some pictures.

Laterz
post #455 of 17304 Old 01-26-2005, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

Kaduku -
I've done that with my 006 with the Cinemaquest Ideal Lume bias light. You can attach the Cinemaquest bias light directly to the back of the 006 using velcro (get the large pieces from Home Depot). The light plugs into a socket, and there is a small RF remote that comes with it that allows you to turn on and off the light even though there's no direct line of sight (another remote! - but this is a real small one). It will provide 6500K lighting behind the TV. You have a very large room so it won't provide much light for the room (no one would be able to read in that room while you are watching the set if you only have this bias light on behind the TV), but it is enough light to reduce eye strain and allow you to walk around the room.

You should not have any regular lights to the side or in front of the TV when you watch what you consider to be "important" stuff, where you want optimal picture quality.

I only use the bias light when I'm watching DVDs or HD stuff where I want to have the optimal picture quality.
post #456 of 17304 Old 01-26-2005, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Kaduku -

I only use the bias light when I'm watching DVDs or HD stuff where I want to have the optimal picture quality.

nhey,

How many of these lights do you have and in what exact location behind the 006?

Laterz
post #457 of 17304 Old 01-26-2005, 01:00 PM

The eagle has landed. Currently perched on a pair of black IKEA cabinets. The wife actually says she likes the way it all looks. I am running home immediately to check it out. *excitement*
post #458 of 17304 Old 01-26-2005, 01:15 PM

Although I chose to purchase a ready-made unit from CinemaQuest (see above post), here's a link to an article that appeared in Home Theater Magazine several years ago. It details how to make your own bias light.

Link: http://www.hometheatermag.com/bootcamp/49/index.html

Be skiing ya,

DSG

Sorry if I'm going OT!
post #459 of 17304 Old 01-26-2005, 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by kaduku
Oh yeah, I forgot about her (my wife). I guess the speakers stay on too!

It took a little while, but I "trained" my wife to use the RC3200 remote (and the macros I programmed on it) that came with my receiver...it only took a couple of days for her to get used to the Harmony 680 I got a before Xmas. One remote with activities...sweetness.

BTW

How is the discrete code support for the 006? Does anyone have a Harmony remote? And, does Logitech have the codes in their database for this bad boy yet?
post #460 of 17304 Old 01-26-2005, 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by kaduku
Here's my pic of my 006 on the triple Salamander. I know, too many remotes.

Wow this thing is big!!!

You guys have real cinemas at home. I'm envious.
post #461 of 17304 Old 01-26-2005, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
You should see it at 9 ft. -eyeball to screen!
post #462 of 17304 Old 01-26-2005, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

Kaduku - I have just one of the bias lights velcroed directly to the back of the 006 ( it sits directly on the back of the set about 3/4 of the way down). You could attach the light to a wall if you preferred - it comes with mounting screws. You only need one light to give a little illumination to the area around the set.

There are discrete codes for the Harmony. I think it was JB007 who mentioned he has already programmed his Harmony with the codes. Do a search for "harmony' in this thread to find the posts about that.

The Sony codes for the 006 are the standard Sony remote codes. For those with a Home Theater Master remote, you can get the codes from any recent Sony TV. The discrete code for inputs 1 - 7 are readily available in the HTM database if you have the HTM 700 or 800. For the "TV" input you can learn the Channel up (or Channel down) from the Sony remote that comes with the 006, and that will take you to the TV input.
post #463 of 17304 Old 01-26-2005, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by mpsan
So, will there be any place to see these, other than NYC or Las Vegas? I hope they plan to let other Sony Dealers sell them.

I just got off the phone with Qualia and they told me they have a brand new list that shows dealers who will be selling the Qualia 006. In my case I live about 30 minutes north of the Golden Gate Bridge; the dealers nearest me were:

Palo Alto: Scenic Systems
Sacramento: Paradigm
San Francisco: Performance Audio

BTW, the Qualia rep read the list to me over the phone; there must have been around 20+ dealers in California; about 3/4 of that list was in SoCal. When I called the store nearest me they could not give me a stocking date; I'd guess we're 2-3 months away from having "regular" dealers with actual product...

post #464 of 17304 Old 01-26-2005, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Great...I may call. I am in Portland, OR. I sure wish they did not have speakers and stuff. May be a way Sony could have gotten the price down. Seems that a $10K+ set will be used with a highend surround system....mine would be if I go that route...or try one of the Samsungs that were announced at the CES for 1/2 the price. Still, I would like to see one as we are not afraid to pay for value.

P.S. The online brochure did not seem to show HDMI, I assume it has it.

Quote:

Originally posted by brt3
I just got off the phone with Qualia and they told me they have a brand new list that shows dealers who will be selling the Qualia 006. In my case I live about 30 minutes north of the Golden Gate Bridge; the dealers nearest me were:

Palo Alto: Scenic Systems
Sacramento: Paradigm
San Francisco: Performance Audio

BTW, the Qualia rep read the list to me over the phone; there must have been around 20+ dealers in California; about 3/4 of that list was in SoCal. When I called the store nearest me they could not give me a stocking date; I'd guess we're 2-3 months away from having "regular" dealers with actual product...

post #465 of 17304 Old 01-26-2005, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by SRT-10 Viper
KE McFeely

I use the TV speakers for watching regular TV and will use the speakers for HD movies, sports, DVDs etc.... Also, It is easier for my wife who doesn't want to deal with the stereo to just turn the TV on and watch.

You could just get a better remote like a Harmony or (if you like to tinker), a pronto. Your wife would not then have to worry about where the sound was coming from.
post #466 of 17304 Old 01-26-2005, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

I have a good remote as well, but this set would be in a room we only use for DVD's etc.

Quote:

Originally posted by ADGrant
You could just get a better remote like a Harmony or (if you like to tinker), a pronto. Your wife would not then have to worry about where the sound was coming from.

post #467 of 17304 Old 01-26-2005, 03:09 PM
jp2

I will attached a few of the charts recorded with the 006 on it's warm setting.
enjoy!
LL
post #468 of 17304 Old 01-26-2005, 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Penton-Man
You should see it at 9 ft. -eyeball to screen!

I know, Penton-Man.

This thing rivals Front Projection, without the attendant FP problems such as projector placement, unsightly screen, etc. Which are all well and good in a dedicated HT room, but not in the living room.

Anyhow, since I live in a condo this monster is not for me. I would be jumping all over a 50-52" SXRD RPTV, however, based on these awesome threads and no less awesome pics.
post #469 of 17304 Old 01-26-2005, 03:14 PM
jp2

chart #2
LL
post #470 of 17304 Old 01-26-2005, 03:16 PM
jp2

chart #3
LL
post #471 of 17304 Old 01-26-2005, 03:17 PM
jp2

chart #4
LL
post #472 of 17304 Old 01-26-2005, 03:18 PM
jp2

chart #5
LL
post #473 of 17304 Old 01-26-2005, 03:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Kaduku - I have just one of the bias lights velcroed directly to the back of the 006 ( it sits directly on the back of the set about 3/4 of the way down). You could attach the light to a wall if you preferred - it comes with mounting screws. You only need one light to give a little illumination to the area around the set.

nhey,
Just to confirm, you have a standard one with or without a filter. How about a pic! Also my walls are colored java, as you can see my pic. Would I need a filter?

Laterz
post #474 of 17304 Old 01-26-2005, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, I called and they do list a few in the area. It seems that a good bet is that the high end stores that sell Sony now will get them if they wish. It may take a few months, however and at $13,000 I don't expect many to be in stock.

Quote:

Originally posted by mpsan
Great...I may call. I am in Portland, OR. I sure wish they did not have speakers and stuff. May be a way Sony could have gotten the price down. Seems that a $10K+ set will be used with a highend surround system....mine would be if I go that route...or try one of the Samsungs that were announced at the CES for 1/2 the price. Still, I would like to see one as we are not afraid to pay for value.

P.S. The online brochure did not seem to show HDMI, I assume it has it.

post #475 of 17304 Old 01-26-2005, 03:49 PM
Advanced Member

jp2,

I have know idea what those graphs translate to, but I assume they mean good things about the 006!!!!!

Laterz
post #476 of 17304 Old 01-26-2005, 04:11 PM
jp2

kaduku,
Most of the charts are for measuring how well the grayscale tracks. This is an important step in getting accurate colors with most of the other settings. The goal of most sets is to track to certain standards that most of the industry tries to adhere to. That is usually appox. 6500K(K=Kelvin). You want your tv to track to that "temperature" from 0 to 100. 0 being black and 100 being white. On the warm setting, the 006 tracks (measures) very close to 6500K throughout most of the range. I also included some other charts that break it down into the RGB individual settings. Most of the other tvs that I have measured vary a lot at some point between 0 and 100. What all of this means in simple terms is that, at least on the 006 that I measured, the grayscale is very accuate (flat) which in turn suggests that the colors should be very accurate. I wonder why the 006 hasn't wound up in any reviewer's hands yet. I remember that Gary Merson(?) from TPV magazine had very early looks at both the original toshiba lcos and the unreleased 2nd generation of the same set. I would be very interested in their thoughts on this set also.
brgds,
jp
post #477 of 17304 Old 01-26-2005, 04:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Originally posted by jp2
I remember that Gary Merson(?) from TPV magazine had very early looks at both the original toshiba lcos and the unreleased 2nd generation of the same set. I would be very interested in their thoughts on this set also.

Also recall his resolution measurements on the Toshiba LCoS, which included using HDNet via DirecTV. Wonder if any 006 owners plan similar HDNet measurments? Back then believe Merson didn't quite get full horizontal 1080i rez from D*, which since has apparently applied more filtering. But, as a test of whether the 006 is not using 540p bobbing of 1080i for deinterlace, perhaps either a cable or D* delivered Tuesday 8 am Eastern HDNet test patterns would pin this down. Supposedly the horizontally oriented wedges would resolve at nearly 1080 lines. To measure horizontal rez I multiply the number on vertical wedges where lines just merge by 100, then 1.78. (Example, 7.5 X 100 X 1.78 = 1335 lines horizontal resolution, 16:9 picture width.) -- John
post #478 of 17304 Old 01-26-2005, 04:40 PM

Hey, I just put an order/deposit in for the Q006 with the Performance Audio folks in SF. I really wanted a local dealer who I could go to in case of problems.

So... I just happen to know someone who is in the LCoS manufacturing business, and when I told him that I was going to be purchasing an 006 this is the msg he sent back. (Note in advance... his comment about LC material lifespan is worth noting, but the guy at PA in SF told me that the LC panels were rated for 60k/hours halflife, which at my rate of viewing would last 30 years. So I'm not too worried about that.)

Here goes, fwiw:

-------begin quote

TVs. i gather you must be a very discerning videophile if you are seriously thinking about the Sony Qualia 006. at 1920x1080 it has got serious resolution. The liquid crystal mode is a vertically aligned nematic (VAN) which should give it very good contrast - on par with DLP or probably even higher. However, VAN LC hasn't yet been delivered in volume. One of the struggles with it has been that VAN generally means a slow switching response rate - so i'd carefully evaluate the picture with some fast moving video (film with serious action scenes or use a gaming console).

Also, sony's LCOS design has an analog drive scheme into it's pixels. this means very precise analog control & calibration is required. One way to check on the quality of this is to look at its image uniformity - load an all white or all black image onto the screen and see how "even" the image is corner to corner. if it's uneven then it's a safe bet that it will be uneven with a video or still image (although not as easy to discern).

A final concern with the qualia would be around life-time. currently sony's technology is only produced for very low volume, high price front projectors. these types of applications usually have few "on" hours to deliver. A RPTV on the other hand must be prepared to stay on day & night in many usage scenarios. The liquid crystal material can deteriorate under intense & sustained light and sony should specify what the guaranteed lifetime of it's chip will be (in hours, and at what permissable degradation i.e. loss of contrast over those hours). This is important because it is very likely that the lcos chips are not field or even service office replaceable (however, the illumination light source
(bulb) will likely be, so that is not as much an issue).

On the other hand, if they show good performance on the issues above, and you will use the TV as a theater
type unit (relatively few hours of operation) then I'd say you are making a very discerning choice.

As you already figured out, i'd definitely would stay away from the TI "1080" product as it doesn't have
real 1080 resolution but uses pixel wobbulation (think of it as multiplexed pixesls) to gain both smaller
chip size (reduced cost) and "higher" resolution. It's an ok method for video, but it will show artifacts on still images with fine resolution (such as text or even high resolution still images).

-------end quote

So, I don't think that the lifetime issue is real, and from what y'all have said about fast moving video, it doesn't have any problems with that either. It sounds like an almost perfect unit! (I met with the furniture builder today about the stand that we're building for it and it'll be done in March sometime.) Can't wait...
post #479 of 17304 Old 01-26-2005, 05:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by 3deye
Hey, I just put an order/deposit in for the Q006 with the Performance Audio folks in SF. I really wanted a local dealer who I could go to in case of problems.

G,
Congrats on your order. You just couldn't wait also huh!!!!!!!! Anyway, looks like your all set on that stand. Do you still need those measurements? Sorry, I kinda forgot.

Laterz
post #480 of 17304 Old 01-26-2005, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Originally posted by John Mason
But, as a test of whether the 006 is not using 540p bobbing of 1080i for deinterlace, perhaps either a cable or D* delivered Tuesday 8 am Eastern HDNet test patterns would pin this down.-- John

Thanks John.
I hope somebody's listening!
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Sony

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page