post #5911 of 17300 Old 05-19-2005, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Originally posted by mpsan
PM...the HDD-500 Thread is starting to look....."interesting"!

Yup,
Like I said, in this case, it is prudent to be patient.
The only buginess that I want to see is in the Algo bugs.

I see even Rogo stopped in for a whaz up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5912 of 17300 Old 05-19-2005, 08:03 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Penton-Man
Dwayne - please check your PM for an off-topic.
Thanks

Read and replied.

BTW, you (meaning everyone, but especially Penton-Man ) might want to try selecting "Yes" to the "Pop up a box when you receive a Private Message?" option in your user profile on the "Edit Options" page.

Much easier than having to post "You have a PM" all the time . . . .

--Dwayne
post #5913 of 17300 Old 05-19-2005, 08:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yup,

It's so sad that all products can't be as problem-free as the Qualia 006, isn't it?

--Dwayne
post #5914 of 17300 Old 05-19-2005, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

OH, Well...for now I will keep my 6412's. Verizon just ran Fiber to my house, so Comcast will have another player on the block soon! FIOS!

Quote:

Yup,

I see even Rogo stopped in for a whaz up?

post #5915 of 17300 Old 05-19-2005, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Zechman...I have had that option on since I started posting years ago. Lately, it does not seem to always work and I get no popup. I then log in a few days later and see that I have several older PM's.

Quote:

Originally posted by Zechman
Read and replied.

BTW, you (meaning everyone, but especially Penton-Man ) might want to try selecting "Yes" to the "Pop up a box when you receive a Private Message?" option in your user profile on the "Edit Options" page.

Much easier than having to post "You have a PM" all the time . . . .

--Dwayne

post #5916 of 17300 Old 05-19-2005, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

i am not a technical guy so this question might sound dumb, so at the risk of proving Mark Twain correct:

"Does the lamp in the Q vary in intensity? In other words, if the Q is set to an empty input that produces a black screen, will the lamp still be using up it's life expectancy? Just wondering if it made sense to leave it on all the time tuned in to an empty input so you wouldn't have to worry about the power on delay."

Like I said, probably dumb question, but I had to ask anyway.

My big move is now less than 6 weeks away!!!!!

rather be lucky than good.
post #5917 of 17300 Old 05-20-2005, 01:02 AM

Hello All,

I bought a Q006 today and had a few questoins. I am happy to join the group and can't wait for my tv to arive.

My first thoughts were to remove the speakers on the Q006 and use my center channel since everything is fed by my denon reciever. Then it occured to me that the speakers on the Q are probably better than my center channel. Is there an audio input that can be used for ALL video sources? Such that I would run the center channel audio to the Q. I will be using the 2 HDMI (HD Tivo & Sony DVD Player).

Sorry if this has been asked (I read as much of this thread as I could), is there any issue with burn-in? The SXRD seems to be unique and I am not sure where it falls in terms of burn-in.

thanks,
dan
post #5918 of 17300 Old 05-20-2005, 05:22 AM

Quote:

Zechman...I have had that option on since I started posting years ago. Lately, it does not seem to always work and I get no popup. I then log in a few days later and see that I have several older PM's.

Popup doesn't work for me either. I just assume it is some popup blocker I don't remember how to disable anymore...
post #5919 of 17300 Old 05-20-2005, 05:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by slocko
"Does the lamp in the Q vary in intensity? In other words, if the Q is set to an empty input that produces a black screen, will the lamp still be using up it's life expectancy? Just wondering if it made sense to leave it on all the time tuned in to an empty input so you wouldn't have to worry about the power on delay."

If the TV is on, the lamp's-a-burnin' (and the fan's-a-turnin'). The only time it varies in intensity is if you enable the power-save mode, where it runs slightly dimmer. The only time the lamp is off is when the TV is off.

The good news is that the delay is only a few seconds from power-on to lamp-on and then less than a minute to full brightness.

Quote:

Originally posted by DBordello
My first thoughts were to remove the speakers on the Q006 and use my center channel since everything is fed by my denon reciever. Then it occured to me that the speakers on the Q are probably better than my center channel. Is there an audio input that can be used for ALL video sources? Such that I would run the center channel audio to the Q. I will be using the 2 HDMI (HD Tivo & Sony DVD Player).

Sorry, each video input has it's own audio input, and there's no way to make one of them into a "master", unless you just use one input and do your source selection with an external switch or an AV receiver. And then things will get complicated if you want to use iLink.

As for using the Qualia speakers as a center channel, I don't recommend it. Click to see my previous post on why.

Quote:

Sorry if this has been asked (I read as much of this thread as I could), is there any issue with burn-in? The SXRD seems to be unique and I am not sure where it falls in terms of burn-in.

Much like LCD, it's closest cousin, no burn-in issues. I'm a heavy gamer, and I haven't observed any ghosting, either. Dead pixels are a possibility, but thus far there've been no bona fide reports of it.

--Dwayne
post #5920 of 17300 Old 05-20-2005, 05:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Zechman
It's so sad that all products can't be as problem-free as the Qualia 006, isn't it?

You guys must have misunderstood this post. I wasn't talking about the HDD-500 . . .

. . . I was talking about Internet Explorer . . . .

--Dwayne
post #5921 of 17300 Old 05-20-2005, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Dwayne for the response. That was my feeling, but I had to ask.

post #5922 of 17300 Old 05-20-2005, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

As I said, sometimes it does work, so I don't know just what changed.

Quote:

Originally posted by jitguy
Popup doesn't work for me either. I just assume it is some popup blocker I don't remember how to disable anymore...

post #5923 of 17300 Old 05-20-2005, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Popup has always worked for me, so there's never a need to post if you send me a PM. Nice to see them, of course, but by the time I've read the post I've seen the pm.

Yes, PM -- it is creepy, and yes I had a 4.5 year head start. Oh well. I had a few quiet posting years there, though ...

Cheers
post #5924 of 17300 Old 05-20-2005, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Let's get this thread humming again.
Where's editor with his "bug report"?
Sheesh, isn't the Yankees recent winning streak over by now?
post #5925 of 17300 Old 05-20-2005, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

The Sony recorder is having a tough go of it on the other thread. Anybody here know anything about an HD Replay in the works or some other DVR's due out in the future that people chained to cable companies can use?
post #5926 of 17300 Old 05-20-2005, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As I said, sometimes it does work, so I don't know just what changed.

Like jitguy and mpsan above, the pop-up thing doesn't work for me either so I'm giving a heads-up to brt and kaduka that a PM is on its way to you guys......this is in regards to 006 owners in Northern Cali - Santa Cruz, San Francisco etc.
It seems like there are more(that I'm blocking on) than you two guys that are in Northen Cali so other 006 owners up there in the "Sophisticated" part of Cali (I mean no disrespect because it's probably true) please refresh my memory.
post #5927 of 17300 Old 05-20-2005, 04:41 PM

Quote:

Like jitguy and mpsan above, the pop-up thing doesn't work for me either so I'm giving a heads-up to brt and kaduka that a PM is on its way to you guys......this is in regards to 006 owners in Northern Cali - Santa Cruz, San Francisco etc.
It seems like there are more(that I'm blocking on) than you two guys that are in Northen Cali so other 006 owners up there in the "Sophisticated" part of Cali (I mean no disrespect because it's probably true) please refresh my memory.

I don't know about "sophisticated", but I'm brt and kaduku's neighborhood.
post #5928 of 17300 Old 05-20-2005, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

That's right. Mill Valley and I think motormouth is up there too.
Looks like I have to do a search under toe, Miss April, or boobs? to get his little boxy things to PM.
Your's 3deye is on the way.
Anybody else up there that I forgot about or could tell me who has the best Cioppino in San Francisco itself?
post #5929 of 17300 Old 05-20-2005, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

I should have known.
A search under "Big Zoomers" found motormouths last post.

A PM is on its way to you my friend.
post #5930 of 17300 Old 05-21-2005, 09:02 AM

Penton,

Wish I was in beautiful Ka..Li...Forn...ya but am stuck in the midwest counting tornadoes.

Moved my couch a foot closer to 9.5 ft (eyeball to screen). now and am just loving it. Better than being at the theater. I put a new mac G5 on input 6 to display family pictures via slide show when not watching TV or movies. Now when we are not watching TV, Kids playing X box or surfing the web via the Mac G5 it runs through my digital pictures like one big picture frame constantly changing. Way cool. I'm running it about 15-16 hours a day so although I was not the first to get one I may be the first to change out my bulb. I figure I would have spent many times the cost of the bulb and the new G5 to get my wife a new painting so I just display many different pictures of paintings, images...whatever. (G5 is kick ass and I was a PC guy. Everyone should get one of these. Surfing the web on your Q from the couch is.......well awesome)

Would be interesting to see how I could determine how many total hours I have run when the bulb finally blows. Then I could at least provide one data point for everyone to guess when a bulb change might be coming. My best guess is that I have about 650-700 hours on the Q bulb so far.

No issues or problems with the mighty Q...... Just an awesome picture and puddles of drool.

MM
post #5931 of 17300 Old 05-21-2005, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

PM, I had heard that DNNA is working on an "HD-Replay" type of recorder, but will not be called REPLAYTV. I have 3 ReplayTV's and have been waiting for this to happen. It has been fun adding large Hard Drives to them and I hate to get rid of them!

Quote:

The Sony recorder is having a tough go of it on the other thread. Anybody here know anything about an HD Replay in the works or some other DVR's due out in the future that people chained to cable companies can use?

post #5932 of 17300 Old 05-21-2005, 10:40 AM

First off let me say both televisions are fine pieces of equipment and each have their plusses and minuses so hopefully nobody will be offended. I am doing this review just as another data-point for those curious about the Qualia (as I was before I purchased mine). This is being done as a COMPARISON, between the two, since that is what I can easily do. Below is listed the equipment used. Note one thing, that I am not including grayscale tracking (they both were fine) because I think my CP5000 needs calibration. Therefore everything is relative

Sony Qualia KDS-70Q006 (just over 1 week old)
Mitsubishi 65813 (just over 1 year old)
Sencore VP403 (DVI only for this test)
Sencore CP5000 (1 year old - may need calibration)
Tektronix 2245
My eyes

First let me also say that I am not an ISF trained technician, however, I am an Electrical Engineer, and do enjoy dabbling in televisions. My eyesight is average Therefore, someone who does this for a living could most probably do a better job than myself, but this should be a good data point for those curious about the Q

Setup - Both televisions were set up using the VP403 and CP5000 to the best of my abilities. The Mitsubishi had additionally some improvements mentioned over on the Spot (ringing fix, color decoder adjustment using scope). I started with the factory defaults, added some suggestions from both here and the Spot, then proceeded to drag out the computer and equipment to do the real work

Objective items - These are things I feel that can be quantitatively repeated by another using similar instruments to mine. There are several things that stood out during my attempt to calibrate both units (the 65813 being done several times over the past year). Some of them very surprising! The Sony was the clear winner in the resolution department (well sort of - you will understand in a second). It was able to completely resolve the highest frequency multiburst that the VP403 would put out. The 65813 could at best generate a gray field with the highest frequency. This is a known issue with this model, and apparently is in the design (not likely to be improved). The Sony also won the color decoder contest. I did not even have to touch the factory settings. Why all manufactures refuse to do this annoys me. At any rate, even with the Perfect-color tweaks, the 65813 could not hold a candle to the Sony (though I hear rumors that there is a way to improve the 65813, but it is only known by a few, and they will not divulge the secret, as is their right). The VP403 has a test which locates a white box inside a white line, and turns the box on and off. This is a test for both power supply (tube) and black level retention. If the white line is affected by the flashing white box The 65813 failed this test (bending the box quite a bit - which I have seen on several 65813's so it's not limited to mine - yet was not an issue on a Pioneer 710). The Sony of course was fine. Mostly because it's fixed pixel device I'm sure. An interesting result was noticed while doing the convergence and watching some shows. Here is where the Sony falls on it's face in a very odd place. Convergence - yes, you heard me. The 65813, while it has horrible resolution compared to the Sony, was able to be adjusted so that all the lines in the convergence pattern were where they should be (except for the last inch or so of the picture where they did fall apart some). The Sony, well, let's just say I hope the service manual has adjustments for the panels in it. This in theory should be a simple fix, but we will see. On the convergence pattern (and on real HD), the blue is up and left by about ½ a line (not too bad). The red however is off by way over a pixel (maybe 2) on the left side of the screen. Not horrible when watching HD broadcasts, but it is noticeable. I really hope this can be fixed, since this is really the only thing that bothers me about the set. On the upper right corner (where the multiburst High Frequency pattern on the VP403 is) it is perfect (hence the easily visible pattern). It does have 1 stuck blue pixel in the center, but I can't see it from where I sit (only from about a foot away) so I can easily live with that.

Subjective items - These are things which are just my opinion and may be refuted by others The reason I am getting rid of the 65813 is mostly in this area. One thing it does that the Sony does not is have bad black level control. What I mean by this is that if you watch a 4:3 broadcast with gray pillar bars while credits are scrolling, you will see the brightness of the pillar bars change parallel with the credits. As with a lot of things - very annoying once you know it is there. The Sony has none of this behavior. Another thing is what I will assume is lens flare. The Sony has very little of this in my opinion. The 65813 has quite a bit (less than black areas when the credits are there or any high contrast situation). I think Sony spent a lot of money on the optics. Ringing is another area the Sony does better in. Surprisingly, I had to set the sharpness to 18 for best response (not 0), but it did very well there (unlike the 65813 which had massive ringing no matter what was done - even with the ringing fix). Another thing is one aspect of convergence that the Sony (and all fixed pixel devices) do well in. Very straight lines. Not to say the 65813 did not have straight lines, just not as straight (and spending all weekend to get them straight is a chore). Oh, and the Sony is a light cannon compared to the 65813!

Final comments - I'm keeping the Qualia. That should say something. I was able to run them a while side by side (2 DTV boxes) and compare pictures. One of the boxes was an HD-TiVo, so it's picture was delayed by about 1 second. It made for some really easy comparisons (look, turn head, compare). The Sony, while having a lot more resolution, did not stand out during this test (speaking only about resolution here). However, day to day viewing I find myself noticing a lot more detail than the 65813. Could have been the material, but I really think it makes a significant improvement. Color rendition while doing this was no contest. The Sony was a joy to look at. Even with my hours of attempting to get the 65813 perfect, the Sony (out of the box no less) did a much better job. I treasure accuracy above all else, and the Sony has this. The two units side by side, I had no trouble picking the Q over the M There might be some odd things going on with the Sony at VERY low light levels (possibly not enough bits - think banding or clay face), but I think this is more likely to be an issue with the source material since with the VP403, I can go from 1 to 100 in increments of 1 and see no such issues. So is this a perfect TV? - no. If I can eventually get the panels aligned, it will be as close as it needs to be for myself. Is it worth the price of admission? I think so, but only the buyer can determine if the extra improvements are worth the extra cash (as with all things, a significant increase in cost for what most would probably consider a smaller increase in performance).
post #5933 of 17300 Old 05-21-2005, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the detailed review. I would imagine that the panel thing is unit-specific. But there may be a service manual tweak -- however, I doubt it, those things are usually fixed hardware pieces in a light engine assembly. I would imagine it's a QA/QC thing probably with some acceptable variations (acceptable to Sony, that is).

What about the black level and shadow details?

I'm glad you liked the 006.

Cheers
post #5934 of 17300 Old 05-21-2005, 11:54 AM

Joel - I guess I missed that. However, I thought the difference in black level and shadow detail was not great. The Q has as good as or better detail than the M, but the M has less "light spill" than the Q (meaning less light seen in a dark room with no picture). Since the shadow detail is there, and I never watch in a completely dark room (dim backlighting), I don't even consider it an issue. Plus, since it's only an issue when there is no picture (how often does that happen), I thought the Q betters the M (since it has more lens flair). Hope that helps... Oh, and I suspect you may be correct on the panels. They may even adjust them in a Jig before they install them.
post #5935 of 17300 Old 05-21-2005, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 197
How good does the Qualia do with the color teal or reddish purple(plum)? Thgose are ususally the hardest colors to produce. The ultimate everyday test for most TVs is when the Miami Dolphins play the Minnesota Vikings in football. The teal shouldn't be gree or blue--the purple shouldn't be Laker blue--the orange shouldn't be reddish and the yellow shouldn't be tinged orange or chartreuse--plus you should have green for grass, blue for the sky and super black and white for the refs. Many times even on calibrated sets all won't be perfect because satellite, OTA, and Cable signals are sometimes skewed and you might have to tweak slightly per channel. One last question Qualia fans: Does the Qualia adjust hue or tint from channel to channel? If not can you tell the differences in hue and tint from channel to channel? If you see no differences either the Qualia is doing a great job at compensation or you don't know Coke from Pepsi so I won't offer you an RC!
post #5936 of 17300 Old 05-21-2005, 02:52 PM

My response would be yes and no. As far as I can tell the Q has as good a decoder as I have seen (I have not seen the expensive stuff, but I've seen plenty of consumer grade). Since I missed the FB season (just got mine) I can only go by what I have seen so far, and it's no contest compared to my Mitsu. I have not seen any "per channel" capability so it's "garbage in, garbage out" (and there is PLENTY of garbage out there)... If it's good source material, it's a good picture. Stations that are notorious for being asleep at the wheel look as bad as they are. Hope that helps...
post #5937 of 17300 Old 05-21-2005, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

I use email notification to find out about new posts. It also sends me email whenever anybody PMs me.

post #5938 of 17300 Old 05-21-2005, 07:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Joe C5
First off let me say both televisions are fine pieces of equipment and each have their plusses and minuses so hopefully nobody will be offended. I am doing this review just as another data-point for those curious about the Qualia (as I was before I purchased mine). This is being done as a COMPARISON, between the two, since that is what I can easily do. Below is listed the equipment used. Note one thing, that I am not including grayscale tracking (they both were fine) because I think my CP5000 needs calibration. Therefore everything is relative

Joe,
Great review. I am just an av wannabe so I don't understand much of what you said, just as long as you choose the Q006 at the end. True, the Q006 is not the perfect tv, but for now is the best picture show out there.

Laterz
post #5939 of 17300 Old 05-21-2005, 07:33 PM
Advanced Member

Thx PM for the info. Sounds like the man for me!

Laterz
post #5940 of 17300 Old 05-21-2005, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Joe C5,

I saw the Qualia finally and have to say my Mits 73" has a better picture to me. It is sharper, has better black level and shadow detail, has better contrast and better color. Plus the Qualia had haloing. Like yours, just my opinion.
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Sony

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page