Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by nhey
Kaduku-

Ok let's try to figure this out. I need to know exactly what audio and video connections you have set up to the 006, and to which inputs.

You have a Directv receiver and DVD player and both have an optical digital out cable running to an optical digital cable switch and then to the BOSE. To which inputs are the Directv receiver and DVD player connected to on the 006?

nhey,

Now I have the Directv receiver to input 7 and the dvd player to input 6. I did figure out why there was no sound from the tv when on the Directv. I had DD 5.1 selected on the Directv settings. It did produce DD 5.1 on the Bose, but muted the sound from the tv. When I did set it to PCM, walla sound from the tv. This might also explain the audio going in and out on the Bose. Thanks for trying to understand my problem.

Laterz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 17300 Old 01-28-2005, 11:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jp2
I've had the roku for a while but do not use it very much. It basically became a slide show machine because they could not get the function to play .vob files with full menu support working properly. They might have gotten that to work by now. They also don't have a pure digital connection only component. You can get the same functionality to work with the built-in memory card slot and the app that comes with the 006. The art packs do look stunning though. I was amazed how nice they looked on my 1st 1080p set and they look very good also on the 006. If you like to tweak, I would suggest just getting a cheap htpc and connecting it via one of the hdmi ports on the 006. You will have so much more flexibility and get the purest pq. With the new nvidia cards it also becomes much more plug and play also.
brgds,
jp

JP2,
You said that you had this thing hooked up to the 006. Which art pack do you have. Just wondering how the aquarium looks. I am mainly interested in these art packs. Do you think they are worth the money?

Laterz
post #633 of 17300 Old 01-28-2005, 11:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by brt3
colortv,

I probably didn't make my point very clearly regarding the CableCard. The ONLY reason I'd be interested in installing this in my Qualia 006 would be to make the set simple to use for my wife and kids. I never thought it might improve the picture, though now that you mention it... ;-)

In practical terms what are the limits of copy-protection? Is this in place on any major motion picture played over the networks/cable/sat, or is it more sporadic? Also, do most of the normal broadcast programs allow HD recording?

My purpose in trying to get a Mac running in conjunction with the Qualia 006 would be to timeshift and archive programming. As the 6412 only holds ten hours I'd never be able to watch all the Tivo'd programming before the drive would be full. With the Mac/EyeTV500 combo you can record any HD content.

Still drooling over the prospect of getting my 006 delivered! Have been stocking up on DVHS movies and will be holding a week-long film festival, I think. This should salve my wounds from missing the SuperBowl in HD/QualiaVision...

BUT... at least I've switched to Comcast (thanks to this thread) so that I can get Fox (and the SuperBowl) in high-def --though it will be on my lowly (read: black challenged) Sony 50" plasma...

Ray

Ray, I'm a Mac guy too and I'll be curious to hear how Eye TV works for you. I've heard of it but not pursued it since my Mac is nowhere near the TV. I'm considering a new Mac Mini for the purpose though. I haven't spent much time checking copy-protected content. It's likely that movies are copy protected but not broadcast TV shows. I tested recording a movie from InHD to DVHS and that's when I got the "could not decode" message on the DVHS machine - I assume copy protection was in force. But I haven't seen that message again on other programming I've recorded to DVHS such as "24."
post #634 of 17300 Old 01-28-2005, 11:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by skoolpsyk
I am outright obsessed with this set and I haven't seen it yet!!

I'm anticipating seeing this set and saying "this is what I've been waiting for all along....finally!"

skoolpsyk,

I'll venture this guess...when you see the Qualia 006 you will say "this is what I've been waiting for all along....finally!" That's what I said when I saw it.
post #635 of 17300 Old 01-29-2005, 03:01 AM
Advanced Member

Penton -

I can now confirm, after having tried it over the course of 2 nights, that hooking the Comcast box to input 7 via DVI to HDMI works perfectly well - no double picture, so, it appears that their might be a glitch with the 006 and input 6 (that goes away if you simply change the channel on the Sony remote when you see the double picture - only slightly annoying).

Has anyone else, besides Penton, SRT-10, and me, who have tried using input 6 connected to an STB or HDTIVO (with a functioning HDMI output) via a DVI to HDMI cable, or via an HDMI to HDMI cable, noticed any problems with a "double picture" when first tuning to input 6??

Somewhat OT: By the way, I called Directv and told them my HDTIVO's HDMI output doesn't work. I pay $7.99 per month for a "buyer assurance plan" that covers this HDTIVO. Nevertheless, they told me they are fully aware of the HDMI problem with many HDTIVOs but they are NOT swapping them out, and they are not doing anything about this problem at this time. My guess is that they know they are going to have to swap out all the boxes as they switch to MPEG4 later this year. I'll probably contact their customer retention group and complain. They'll probably give me some sort of credit. I'm using the component outputs. High-def picture is fine, but hi-def in my opinion is much better with Comcast.
post #636 of 17300 Old 01-29-2005, 07:07 AM

Colortv;

So it sounds like Video 6 with DVI to HDMI has problems (sound and double picture)... I will be interested in your evaluation of picture quality of Component vs HDMI/DVI. I would test it but I am off to Spain this week and not home. I also believe you will have a keener eye then me based on your background. I tried the firewire connection... Couldn't get the cable program guide to work so I backed off that solution.

Viper
post #637 of 17300 Old 01-29-2005, 07:20 AM
jp2

kaduku,
I had the roku hooked up to one of the component connections not input 6 which is hdmi. Since I haven't used the roku in a while, I have a hard time recommending it. I used it as a slide-show viewer for a little while then got bored with that. You can do almost the same thing with the 006 by itself and a lot more with a htpc.

nhey,
I have my d* stb hooked up to input 6 with no issues. I am using a dvi-hdmi cable on my samsung 160 stb. Note that input 6 allows for separate rca stereo input whereas input 7 only allows hdmi. I swapped my hdmi devices (pc and stb) between 6 and 7 because I wanted to try the tv's speakers when watching something like cnn via the stb. I wound up keeping the tv's speakers turned off because I didn't like the sound of the tv's speakers and I was able to program the harmony remote for my wife to always use my other speakers. I have a large center channel speaker the fits in the sony stand and the dialog sounds very good. I wanted to get the new denon 5805 receiver but it looks as if its too tall to fit in either my rack or within the sony stand. I may wait on the denon 4806 which should fit into my existing rack. It will then replace my yamaha rx-v1 which has been a very good receiver. The issue with a/v electronics these days is that they change as quickly as computers. I think my monitor (006) and speaker setup (audiomachina and 3 b&w/velodyne subs) are up to the task. I'm just waiting on the source material to catch up!
post #638 of 17300 Old 01-29-2005, 07:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 358
I think the sets may have problems. I do not know what the problems are but some may be showing up here. Shipments to dealers are being delayed for 30 days to contain the number of sets out there with problems. I fully expect Sony will be able to design out the problems. Let's hope for you guys that the sets out there do not have o be recalled. My guess is that any problem could be fixed by software and hardware changes in the field by a factory authorized service center. Sony service is very very good and Sony will make it right. So no worries.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #639 of 17300 Old 01-29-2005, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by SRT-10 Viper
Colortv;

So it sounds like Video 6 with DVI to HDMI has problems (sound and double picture)... I will be interested in your evaluation of picture quality of Component vs HDMI/DVI. I would test it but I am off to Spain this week and not home. I also believe you will have a keener eye then me based on your background. I tried the firewire connection... Couldn't get the cable program guide to work so I backed off that solution.

I was using input 6 via HDMI and did not see any double picture from either the Directv receiver or the dvd player. The audio problem I was having it is seems was coming from my setup on the Directv receiver, which was resolved, I think? Hopefully?

I picked up a copy of HDTV etc. and there was a very nice and thick 4 page ad for the 006, 004, and the SRX-R110, which all uses the SXRD technology. Looks like Sony is going all out to get the word to the masses. Interesting though to see that theres still not much independent reviews out there. Back to enjoying this bad boy!!!!!!

Laterz
post #640 of 17300 Old 01-29-2005, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Has anyone else, besides Penton, SRT-10, and me, who have tried using input 6 connected to an STB or HDTIVO (with a functioning HDMI output) via a DVI to HDMI cable, or via an HDMI to HDMI cable, noticed any problems with a "double picture" when first tuning to input 6??

Somewhat OT: By the way, I called Directv and told them my HDTIVO's HDMI output doesn't work. I pay $7.99 per month for a "buyer assurance plan" that covers this HDTIVO. Nevertheless, they told me they are fully aware of the HDMI problem with many HDTIVOs but they are NOT swapping them out, and they are not doing anything about this problem at this time. My guess is that they know they are going to have to swap out all the boxes as they switch to MPEG4 later this year. I'll probably contact their customer retention group and complain. They'll probably give me some sort of credit. I'm using the component outputs. High-def picture is fine, but hi-def in my opinion is much better with Comcast.

I have an HD TiVo connected to input 6 HDMI to HDMI and have never experienced the double picture phenomenon described in this thread.

Call DirecTV back! They have twice replaced my HD TiVo because of HDMI issues (most recently 2 weeks ago). I don't even have the buyer assurance plan. The HD TiVo has a one-year warranty and DirecTV will FedEx out a brand-new replacement unit. They will also give you $ credit for the hassle. Call back until you speak to the right person (level 2 tech support I believe). Jump over to the TiVo Community for more information/advice. It's been discussed there.

Good luck
post #641 of 17300 Old 01-29-2005, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by mark haflich
I think the sets may have problems. I do not know what the problems are but some may be showing up here. Shipments to dealers are being delayed for 30 days to contain the number of sets out there with problems. I fully expect Sony will be able to design out the problems. Let's hope for you guys that the sets out there do not have o be recalled. My guess is that any problem could be fixed by software and hardware changes in the field by a factory authorized service center. Sony service is very very good and Sony will make it right. So no worries.

Mark,

You're obviously someone in the know. Upon what information are you basing your statement that you think the sets may have problems? If shipments to dealers are being "delayed" for 30 days, could that not be related to strong demand or low yields in production?

Thanks for your encouragement regarding Sony's service.
post #642 of 17300 Old 01-29-2005, 09:11 AM

Quote:

Statements of this nature have more power to influence buying decisions than positive statements - given the financial risk. Is there more substance to this post or is this speculation?

Dilbert1
post #643 of 17300 Old 01-29-2005, 09:22 AM

Quote--- a Mac guy too and I'll be curious to hear how Eye TV works for you. I've heard of it but not pursued it since my Mac is nowhere near the TV. I'm considering a new Mac Mini for the purpose though. I haven't spent much time checking copy-protected content. It's likely that movies are copy protected but not broadcast TV shows. I tested recording a movie from InHD to DVHS and that's when I got the "could not decode" message on the DVHS machine - I assume copy protection was in force. But I haven't seen that message again on other programming I've recorded to DVHS such as "24."

Color TV
Just read an article at AnandTech about the Mac Mini that says you need min of 512 mb ram for it to function in any multi tasking situation. With only a 80GB HD that is a slow 5400 rpm laptop 2.5in unit it might not be the best unit for a htpc. I understand that Mac guys are Mac guys but have you looked at the new HP htpc that is built in the shape of a receiver and easier to add to a home theater system than a tower. It uses Windows Media edition 2005 that is designed for this use.

Roy

Nothing is so firmly believed as that which least is known
(3) Cisco 8742HDC---Signature Home---Navigator ver.-- 6.1.0_5
Desert Cities CA

post #644 of 17300 Old 01-29-2005, 09:48 AM

Quote:

Color TV

This system also allows you to stream pics, video and music to other rooms in the house with an optional extender. Many computing and ht options become available.

Roy

Desert Cities CA

post #645 of 17300 Old 01-29-2005, 09:58 AM

Quote:

This system also allows you to stream pics, video and music to other rooms in the house with an optional extender. Many computing and ht options become available.

Tweeter is setting up their first store to test a new format in Las Vegas that has the store designed as the inside of a home with all the HT equipment you might have in your home and how to connect and configure it. Sounds like a smart concept as this I believe is the way of the future.

Desert Cities CA

post #646 of 17300 Old 01-29-2005, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
kaduku, that 4-page advertisement has appeared in several stereo/video mags for the past month. Hope it catches on!
post #647 of 17300 Old 01-29-2005, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Ed Weinman
kaduku, that 4-page advertisement has appeared in several stereo/video mags for the past month. Hope it catches on!

Duh!!!!, Thanks Ed, I am just a beginner Videophile and it was my first HD related magazine ever.

Laterz
post #648 of 17300 Old 01-29-2005, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Mark - since you are an authorized Sony dealer, I know that you speak from a position of knowledge, however, did they specifically tell you the sets "have problems" or is that your assumption based on the delay in getting you the sets they promised you for 30 days?

None of the 006 owners posting here have reported any problems that we have been able to determine are definitely associated with the 006. The one issue (double picture when first tuning to input 6) discussed here is definitely not occurring with all the sets, and at worst, is only a very minor annoyance that goes away when the channel is changed.
post #649 of 17300 Old 01-29-2005, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by jb007
I have an HD TiVo connected to input 6 HDMI to HDMI and have never experienced the double picture phenomenon described in this thread.

Call DirecTV back! They have twice replaced my HD TiVo because of HDMI issues (most recently 2 weeks ago). I don't even have the buyer assurance plan. The HD TiVo has a one-year warranty and DirecTV will FedEx out a brand-new replacement unit. They will also give you $ credit for the hassle. Call back until you speak to the right person (level 2 tech support I believe). Jump over to the TiVo Community for more information/advice. It's been discussed there.

Good luck

JB007 - when they replaced your HD TIVO, did they first send you the replacement box, and you then returned the defective box, or did you have to return the defective box first?
post #650 of 17300 Old 01-29-2005, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

JB007 - when they replaced your HD TIVO, did they first send you the replacement box, and you then returned the defective box, or did you have to return the defective box first?

They FedEx out the replacement receiver to you first. You send back the defective unit to them in the same box (factory) your replacement unit arrived in. There is a FedEx return bill included. There is NO cost to you whatsoever (unless you for some reason do not return the defective unit).
post #651 of 17300 Old 01-29-2005, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
kadukuk, absolutely no problem! (I think that I've seen that brochure in, at least, four publications...hope it bodes well for the buying population.)
post #652 of 17300 Old 01-29-2005, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by jb007
They FedEx out the replacement receiver to you first. You send back the defective unit to them in the same box (factory) your replacement unit arrived in. There is a FedEx return bill included. There is NO cost to you whatsoever (unless you for some reason do not return the defective unit).

JB007 - GOOD NEWS!!!! I just called Directv and spoke to Tier 2 support. First, she told me that it was a software issue and they can't replace any HDTIVO boxes at this time. I pushed hard and finally convinced her to send me a new box. THANKS FOR THE ADVICE!!! By the way, did they FED EX it overnight or second day delivery?
post #653 of 17300 Old 01-29-2005, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Penton -

I can now confirm, after having tried it over the course of 2 nights, that hooking the Comcast box to input 7 via DVI to HDMI works perfectly well - no double picture, so, it appears that their might be a glitch with the 006 and input 6 (that goes away if you simply change the channel on the Sony remote when you see the double picture - only slightly annoying).

I've now got my Comcast 6412 connected both by component and DVI-HDMI (video 6 on SXRD). So far I have not seen the double image you guys have described - I'll continue to watch for it and report back if I see the double image.

I notice the SLIGHTEST improvement in PQ via the digital connection vs component. But I'm trying really hard to notice a difference, and since there is a delay in switching between inputs on the 006 I can't say for absolute certain that digital is better than component. If the double image thing crops up on my setup via DVI-HDMI, I'll have no hesitation whatsoever to watch via the component connection which has no issues at all.

I also experimented with watching the Comcast box into the 006 via Firewire. No real improvement in PQ, and the downside to watching through Firewire/iLink is that the Comcast box menus don't show up through Firewire. This also applies to watching DVHS through Firewire to the 006 - the VCR's on-screen menus do not appear on the 006 through Firewire connection, but you can see them just fine via component connection.

Thanks for the Toslink info in earlier posts. I ordered several Toslink optical-digital audio cables from RAM to connect the TV, DVD player, DVHS machine, and Comcast 6412 to my new Yamaha 2500 receiver.
post #654 of 17300 Old 01-29-2005, 11:25 AM

Quote:

Mark,

Since the Qualia 004 has such a good track record, I would assume you are not worried about the SXRD technology, but just some minor glitches in some sets, and Sony is carefully watching?
Thanks,

sj
post #655 of 17300 Old 01-29-2005, 11:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Mark,

Huh? What problems? I haven't had any issues except the potential double image problem on HDMI video 6 that others have seen. I have had nary a problem on my set. What gives you the idea that there are problems? Perhaps you may be referring to production problems? A set this good may not be easy to crank out of the factory in mass quantities.
post #656 of 17300 Old 01-29-2005, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by RDO CA
Quote--- a Mac guy too and I'll be curious to hear how Eye TV works for you. I've heard of it but not pursued it since my Mac is nowhere near the TV. I'm considering a new Mac Mini for the purpose though. I haven't spent much time checking copy-protected content. It's likely that movies are copy protected but not broadcast TV shows. I tested recording a movie from InHD to DVHS and that's when I got the "could not decode" message on the DVHS machine - I assume copy protection was in force. But I haven't seen that message again on other programming I've recorded to DVHS such as "24."

Color TV
Just read an article at AnandTech about the Mac Mini that says you need min of 512 mb ram for it to function in any multi tasking situation. With only a 80GB HD that is a slow 5400 rpm laptop 2.5in unit it might not be the best unit for a htpc. I understand that Mac guys are Mac guys but have you looked at the new HP htpc that is built in the shape of a receiver and easier to add to a home theater system than a tower. It uses Windows Media edition 2005 that is designed for this use.

Roy

I'd put a gig of RAM in the mini and run an external 250 gig HD for video. The Mac mini's small profile has a lot of appeal to me. But the new HP rig is interesting as well and I intend to check it out before making any purchase. Thanks for the heads up!
post #657 of 17300 Old 01-29-2005, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Be careful with any HTPC - the noise level for almost all of them makes them problematic in a TV viewing area like a living room.

www.niveusmedia.com makes a fanless HTPC, but it is very expensive.
post #658 of 17300 Old 01-29-2005, 01:08 PM

Quote:

Just my opinion (not a Qualia 006 owner to boot), but it would be helpful to be less cryptic when posting the above info.

Is is a conjecture or a fact?

post #659 of 17300 Old 01-29-2005, 02:07 PM

Just got this set. I have an older DVD player that outputs both 480p and 480i. I figured the 480i would be better as mentioned on this board. However, I find the 480p to be substantially better. With 480i there is quite a bit of pixelation to the picture. This doesn't make a lot of sense to me as it is upconverted in the Qualia to begin with and there should be less conversion with a 480i input.
post #660 of 17300 Old 01-29-2005, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Make sure you keep your fedex bill when you return it. There is a thread about people who were charged 1000 despite having returned the tivo.

I also had mine replaced a few months ago. Hoping it doesn't die since I've upgraded with an additional 250 drive and don't want to have to take the drive out to return it.

Quote:

JB007 - GOOD NEWS!!!! I just called Directv and spoke to Tier 2 support. First, she told me that it was a software issue and they can't replace any HDTIVO boxes at this time. I pushed hard and finally convinced her to send me a new box. THANKS FOR THE ADVICE!!! By the way, did they FED EX it overnight or second day delivery?

rather be lucky than good.
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Sony

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page