Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by SRT-10 Viper
kaduku;

I was able to set my Denon 3910 to 480i... Not sure why you can't. I have the player connected via HDMI.

Viper,
How are you doing this? I either go through the remote or the player, and I could only select 480p/576p, besides 780p and 1080i. I am also connected via HDMI and the player is set at HDMI. How is your PQ under that setting (480i)?

Laterz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 17312 Old 01-30-2005, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Originally posted by colortv
I can detect NO DIFFERENCE IN PICTURE QUALITY with component connection vs DVI/HDMI.

But Watson,
Doesn't that go against all we learned in elementary school since we were wee young lads?
P.S. Strike "elementary" to read "preparatory" school.
post #723 of 17312 Old 01-30-2005, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Either there are a lot of great shows on network TV now (24, Numbers, Boston Legal, Lost, Alias) or the 006's incredible images are so mesmerizing that good writing, acting, and cinematography don't mean are not to blame.

Which is EXACTLY why I bought the 006 NOW.... so that I could enjoy it NOW - rather than procrastinating and waiting several months for reports from the early adopters.....by that time -summertime rolls around with all the reruns!
post #724 of 17312 Old 01-30-2005, 07:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Dilbert1
Well, I pulled the trigger on the Qualia 006 and should have it next week.Dilbert1

You made a very wise decision. Why wait, enjoy life now!!!!!!!!!!!

How much was the Monster Power conditioner?

Laterz
post #725 of 17312 Old 01-30-2005, 07:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Penton-Man
But Watson,
Doesn't that go against all we learned in elementary school since we were wee young lads?
P.S. Strike "elementary" to read "preparatory" school.

Tell those McIntosh fans that transistors are better than tubes! It's an easy assumption that digital is better than analog, but not always true and a matter of individual tastes. The store I bought my Chicane stand from sells outrageously priced turntables - to play vinyl records! Huh?? Apparently there are enough discriminating ears out that don't give a whit about digital CD's and vastly prefer analog LP's. Personally, I don't miss the ticks and pops, warped LP's, "Original Master Recordings," etc.

See for yourself, it's an easy test - do an A/B comparison of your cable box connected via component and DVI/HDMI to your Qualia 006. IF there is a difference, it's so slight that my well trained eyes can't spot it. And if going component eliminates the double-pix sydrome, the choice is an easy one for me.

Some brainiac is going to discover the cause of the double-pix, whether the fault of the cable box or the TV - or neither. Since I have not seen the slightest glitch watching DVD's via HDMI input 6, I'm not going to point any finger toward my beloved SXRD - yet.
post #726 of 17312 Old 01-30-2005, 07:24 PM

Hi all,

I have been lurking for a few weeks, but following the development of the 006 for over a year.

Can someone tell me the width and height of the screen size only.

I want to compare it to my KDP-65XBR2 which I will be replacing with the 006.

Thanks,
post #727 of 17312 Old 01-30-2005, 07:31 PM
Advanced Member

Please be nice to me...

I decided to play with the picture settings tonight. I've been on PRO with the settings discussed much earlier in this thread, that provides a beautiful film like picture. For the heck of it, I switched to Vivid. I must say I was totally blown away. I realize that the Vivid settings are definitely not ISF accurate, but WOW - I was really impressed. I reduced the "Picture" setting from "max" of 62 to 58 (the setting suggested for the PRO mode) because it is against my religion to view a set at max contrast (I previously had a CRT RPTV where that was FORBIDDEN), but left all the other settings the way they are.

I guess "Vivid" is a guilty pleasure. If you want to totally blow away any friend or family member who is not into, or who doesn't care about accurate settings, just sit them down in front of an HD program, and switch to Vivid. Comes back 15 minutes later. They will be totally mesmerized. I may try this for some friends for the Superbowl next Sunday.

Have I said in the last couple hours that the detail on this set is amazing? Well THE DETAIL ON THIS SET (with HD programming) IS AMAZING!!
post #728 of 17312 Old 01-30-2005, 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by kaduku

Thanks Kaduku,

As I said I would never have jumped on a technology that I felt was first generation, especially sight unseen. I do feel that this technology is 2nd generation and solves some of the problems that I have had with all the other technologies. Contrast, shadow detail, black level/crush, flat looking pictures were all problems I wanted addressed. My fingers are crossed that these issues are insignificant. I love educational productions and concerts.

The Conditioner was $575.00. I will give it a try and compare it to less expensive solutions. I suspect that it will perform about as well as a unit at least $300.00 cheaper if the power line noise is typical. As colortv said a UPS could protect the bulb.

Incidentally people keep talking about bulb lifetime as when it burns out. These bulbs change their color temperature with time so replacement time may well come before the bulb expires.

Technically, I think the HDMI connection is a plus when you are transmitting the signal a long distance. If the DVD D/A and Qualia A/D converters are designed properly then component should be fine for short distances. I guess I will find out. My fingers are crossed.

If I like Dish Network then I will order the DVR 921 for something like $550.00.

Dilbert1
post #729 of 17312 Old 01-30-2005, 07:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by nhey
I guess "Vivid" is a guilty pleasure. If you want to totally blow away any friend or family member who is not into, or who doesn't care about accurate settings, just sit them down in front of an HD program, and switch to Vivid. Comes back 15 minutes later. They will be totally mesmerized. I may try this for some friends for the Superbowl next Sunday.

nhey,
I personally like the way vivid looks. I know that after this is ISF calibrated, it will have darker tone to it. What is your exact settings on vivid now?

Laterz
post #730 of 17312 Old 01-30-2005, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

See for yourself, it's an easy test - do an A/B comparison of your cable box connected via component and DVI/HDMI to your Qualia 006. IF there is a difference, it's so slight that my well trained eyes can't spot it.

I was joking.
I have also done the same as above and I find them to be indecernible- but I would like more time just to be sure.
post #731 of 17312 Old 01-30-2005, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I realize that the Vivid settings are definitely not ISF accurate, but WOW - I was really impressed.

I guess "Vivid" is a guilty pleasure.

Oh no,
Watch out nhey - now your treading over the what looks better to me vs. the this is SUPPOSED to look better to you territory.

Just biting the apple in the Garden of Eden will bring out the purists that are lurking.very quickly.
post #732 of 17312 Old 01-30-2005, 08:49 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Can someone post what they have found to be ideal settings for this set? e.g., pro, normal? color temp? specific values?
post #733 of 17312 Old 01-30-2005, 09:26 PM

Colortv,

I live in the foothills of the Smokey Mnts and on top of a mountain!
Wish I could get cable, but no company is willing to run that much wire just for one customer. So, I am stuck with D*tv. I hope the 006 will at least be watchable on SD? Any of you guys with Directv, how would you rate your PQ on SD?

sj
post #734 of 17312 Old 01-30-2005, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by sparkysj
Colortv,

Wish I could get cable, but no company is willing to run that much wire just for one customer. So, I am stuck with D*tv. I hope the 006 will at least be watchable on SD? Any of you guys with Directv, how would you rate your PQ on SD?

sj

Some channels are better than others. You should be fine with DirecTV. The truth is, most everything not HD sucks!
post #735 of 17312 Old 01-30-2005, 09:41 PM

jb007,

Well put!!

sj
post #736 of 17312 Old 01-30-2005, 09:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Colortv,

sj

I use Comcast for the rest of the rooms, because I did not want Directv receivers all over the place, especially in my kitchen, where I have a small 12 inch tv. Comcast is unable to provide me with HD, because my city is preventing them from installing upgraded cabling that can carry that type of bandwidth. That is why I have Directv on the 006. PQ is definitely watchable on SD, and should get better with mpeg-4 later this year.

Laterz
post #737 of 17312 Old 01-31-2005, 02:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Please be nice to me...

I decided to play with the picture settings tonight. I've been on PRO with the settings discussed much earlier in this thread, that provides a beautiful film like picture. For the heck of it, I switched to Vivid. I must say I was totally blown away. I realize that the Vivid settings are definitely not ISF accurate, but WOW - I was really impressed. I reduced the "Picture" setting from "max" of 62 to 58 (the setting suggested for the PRO mode) because it is against my religion to view a set at max contrast (I previously had a CRT RPTV where that was FORBIDDEN), but left all the other settings the way they are.

Have I said in the last couple hours that the detail on this set is amazing? Well THE DETAIL ON THIS SET (with HD programming) IS AMAZING!!

My only serious complaint about VIVID is that that highlights are blown out at the default setting. Maybe your idea to bring Picture down to 58 will help me out since I run 58 in Pro mode anyway.

A friend of mine with an expensive 720p FP setup used to swear that there was no visible difference between his favorite ABC 720P shows and NBC-CBS 1080i. I played a couple of things from all 3 networks for him off my HD DVR tonight and he now sees the extra crispness of 1080i. Of course it takes a display like the 006 to bring out those details, things my buddy never saw on his 720p display. Am I ever glad I waited for the 006 - a 1080p display is the way to go and finally we have one!
post #738 of 17312 Old 01-31-2005, 02:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I paid $499 for the Monster Power HTS 5100 from an internet vendor.
post #739 of 17312 Old 01-31-2005, 02:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Colortv,

sj

sparkysj,

I wonder if you are eligiible for one of those DirecTV waivers that will allow you to get network broadcasts in HD, since you are out of transmission range of local stations in your area. That might bring you more HD content, and hopefully you will benefit from the upscaling the networks do on the SD content which will make that SD content immune from DirecTV's nasty compression. Worth a try to get a waiver.
post #740 of 17312 Old 01-31-2005, 03:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by jp2
Can anyone with the jvc dvhs deck clarify if I could record something like hdnet (from d*) with the jvc deck connected via the ilink connector? I'm not sure after reading this thread if you can only record ota channels and output of the comcast box or if you can also record from a d* satellite source. I'm not sure how many folks in the other forums have a tv with firewire output on their tvs so this may be a unique setup. Currently I have an ota antenna and satellite dish feed going into a d* samsung 160 stb. The stb is set to output 1080i via dvi into input 6 (hdmi) on the qualia. I would like to be able to connect a jvc dvhs to one of the ilink ports and be able to record some of the hd channels from the satellite dish. Thanks for any insight.
brgds,
jp

jp,

I ran a simulation tonight and here are the results - not great news for your situation.

I connected my JVC 40000 DVHS machine via iLink/Firewire to the Qualia 006. I was able to succesfully record HD (everything from every channel) from the OTA antenna connected to the 006's ATSC tuner. However, when attempting to record from any other of the 006's inputs than the ATSC tuner, no recording - just a "no signal" message when playing the tape back through the 006.

I attempted to record from my Comcast DVR through HDMI input 6 on the Qualia, and a Sony NS975V DVD player through HDMI input 7 on the Qualia. I also tried recording from a component connection of the Comcast DVR to input 4, again no recording on DVHS.

In summary, I was always able to get a great HD DVHS recording via iLink from the 006's ATSC tuner, but zilch from another other input. Bummer.

To anyone who has not read earlier messages on this topic in this thread ...
it is possible to record HD DVHS from a cable box that is equipped with iLink/Firewire ports. If the content (such as a movie) is copy protected, the DVHS recording will fail. But just about everything else including the major TV networks HD content records on HD DVHS just fine via iLink connection to the cable STB/DVR. Now if those satellite providers would put Firewire ports on their boxes - c'mon!
post #741 of 17312 Old 01-31-2005, 05:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

nhey,
I personally like the way vivid looks. I know that after this is ISF calibrated, it will have darker tone to it. What is your exact settings on vivid now?

The only change I have made to the default Vivid settings is to reduce the "picture" setting from the max setting of 62 to 58.

It's very interesting to see what the default Vivid settings are. From memory... some of them are not what you would have in a calibrated set:

Color temp: Cool
Cinema black pro: off
Color corrector: high

Note: When you are in Vivid mode, you can't adjust most of the "advanced" settings, which you can adjust when you are in "pro" mode. However, you can still see what the set's default settings are in Vivid mode.
post #742 of 17312 Old 01-31-2005, 08:22 AM
jp2

Colortv,
Thanks for taking the time to test this for me. I didn't think it was possible to record hd from a d* stb or anything else unless the jvc was directly connected to a tuner with firewire out. I've seen some mods that you could do to a d* stb but I was hoping for a standard way. It's starting to look a lot better for comcast.
thanks,
jp
post #743 of 17312 Old 01-31-2005, 09:38 AM

Anyone have a suggestion for a good OTA antenna to pair with this set? going on a rooftop, in Santa Monica so should be able to get good reception form LA local stations. Anyone use a square shooter from winegard?

Penton et al- I am using HD-TIVO via HDMI on input 6 and have no problems with "double picture"

As for DTV/Cable debate, NFL sunday ticket was the only consideration for me. Have cable for internet only (and Vonage... I hate the phone company!).
post #744 of 17312 Old 01-31-2005, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If the content (such as a movie) is copy protected, the DVHS recording will fail.

Colortv-
I'm wondering how extensive this is and whether it encompasses practically all movies on all channels(only movies broadcast in HD that is) or if this is a more selective phenomenon rather than so generalized.

If you have time, try taping a few more movies from a couple of different channels; unless, of course you've already done that.
post #745 of 17312 Old 01-31-2005, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by SABAlove
Anyone have a suggestion for a good OTA antenna to pair with this set? going on a rooftop, in Santa Monica so should be able to get good reception form LA local stations. Anyone use a square shooter from winegard?

Colortv,
That question is right up your alley....errrr rooftop.
post #746 of 17312 Old 01-31-2005, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Penton et al- I am using HD-TIVO via HDMI on input 6 and have no problems with "double picture"

That's interesting.
It sure seems that this minor glitch has only occurred with people using a cable box into input 6.
post #747 of 17312 Old 01-31-2005, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I use a SqS2 (with HDTiVo) and find it works pretty well for me. Here are the things to keep in mind if you're thinking about using the Square Shooter:
1) It's good at pulling in UHF but not so good at VHF. If any of your locals are broadcasting on channels 2-13 (not so in the DC area), they won't come in as well.
2) It's very directional. If your locals are being broadcast from many different locations, then this might not be the antenna for you. In my area, all the locals are broadcast from the same place, except a local Fairfax station that is close enough that it comes in with no problem anyway. The upside is that it's very good at cancelling out reflections.
3) It's not a long-range antenna: the effective range is 35 miles or so. (For me, the towers are something like 15-20 miles away so I'm okay.)
4) For me the difference in using the integrated amp versus not using it is that with the amp the signal stays more consistently high. Without it, it tends to vary. YMMV.

But to put it in perspective, the SqS2 on my roof is not that much better than a Silver Sensor inside the house was . . . so what do I know?

--Dwayne
post #748 of 17312 Old 01-31-2005, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's interesting.
It sure seems that this minor glitch has only occurred with people using a cable box into input 6.

Addendum-
ATTENTION -nhey and others that have noted the double pic phenomenon.
Perhaps we have a display that exhibits superior intelligence to other displays in that it can LEARN.
I have now had the same cable box hooked up to video 6 via DVI/HDMI for about one week and have noticed NO double picture problems (or audio problems for that matter) at intial start-up.

How about anyone else- is this a persistent problem or is the Qualia bird learning to give a firmer HDCP handshake????

I would like to know before I pass on this minor nuisance to the Qualia engineers.

nhey- how about going back to video 6 for awhile with your box (oh, and what Moto model number is your STB or DVR?)
post #749 of 17312 Old 01-31-2005, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Addendum-
ATTENTION -nhey and others that have noted the double pic phenomenon.
Perhaps we have a display that exhibits superior intelligence to other displays in that it can LEARN.
I have now had the same cable box hooked up to video 6 via DVI/HDMI for about one week and have noticed NO double picture problems (or audio problems for that matter) at intial start-up.

How about anyone else- is this a persistent problem or is the Qualia bird learning to give a firmer HDCP handshake????

I would like to know before I pass on this minor nuisance to the Qualia engineers.

nhey- how about going back to video 6 for awhile with your box (oh, and what Moto model number is your STB or DVR?)

VERY INTERESTING - In fact, last night, I did just that - I hooked up the Comcast box to input 6 and had no double picture the whole night. Will look again tonight.
post #750 of 17312 Old 01-31-2005, 12:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Penton, I have a Scientific Atlanta cable box with a Firewire port. I can record every station including HBO, Showtime, etc. I hate to mention my cable companie's name lest they change this. The recordings are marked copy-once, or is it copy-never so, so that I cannot duplicate the tapes. The good news is that I can create them.
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Sony

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page