QUALIA 006 Owner's Thread - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 17300 Old 02-01-2005, 08:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Guys, I rec'd my Qualia 006 on January 18th. I ordered it in the NYC Sony Store on 1/4/05. The delivered mine in an ice storm at 7pm and had to trudge across my snow covered lawn and down 16 very well de-iced steps to get it into my basement. For those of you worried about safe delivery - you better make sure they have FOUR able-bodied men to carry it. This thing was 328 lbs packaged not to mention HUGE!

As far as the 50 and 60" versions of the SXRD, the Sony Store reps claimed that both would be out by July '05...

Anyway, I spent the first night toying around, hooking up my Comcast HDTV with DVR. Interestingly enough, I now have DirectTV (non-HD), Comcast HD w/DVR, DVD, VHS, and my Onkyo 801 all tied together. I have had NO problems at all configuring the 006. The picture, once the set warmed up, has been perfect literally right out of the box.

I chose not to purchase the Sony stand for $1,500 in lieu of having my brother-in-law build me a custom entertainment center so I cannot answer the stand questions...

I have yet to see any flaw in the 006. For those of you waivering between the XBR LCD 70" and the Qualia 006, there is really no comparison. The Qualia 006 picture is smoothe at any distance but amazingly smoothe close up. It is very difficult to discern the pixels even at a few inches away...

The one thing that "bugged" me abut the Qaulia 006, other than the $3,000 bump in price at the last minute, was the garbage Sony remote they include. This remote isn't capable of effectively running most of the components. I decided VERY early on that I would be purchasing a Sony Remote Commander so that everything would be contained in one remote - no regrets there - I can turn on everything in my basement from the recliner, including lights.

The sound system on the Qualia 006 is solid (for TV sound)...Listening to the THX introduction series at the beginning of "Ice Age" at a volume level over 40 results in my walls rattling...FYI - the volume goes up to 65+/-...100 watts to a set mounted speaker system really blows away most other sets.

Hope this helps...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 17300 Old 02-01-2005, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by HiDef Bob
1. Sony's SXRD system is a version of the LCOS system. About 2 years ago Toshiba brought out the first LCOS TV. While hailed for its resolution, test reports were very critical of its contrast and blacks. From what I have seen and read, somehow Sony's seems have solved both of these problems. While still not equal to a good CRT, the contrast and blacks seem to be as good as or better than the best plasmas. Owner's comments?

2. One of the faults of RPTV systems that has steered me away from them, is their tendency to darken when moving to the sides or moving from the standing or sitting position. Again Sony seems to have addressed those problems to a reasonable degree. I tried moving somewhat off centre and squatting (the stand was mounted on a platform to bring the set to eye level when standing) in front of a Qualia setup in a Sony Store without experiencing that effect. However, due to the fact the set was displayed in a very brightly lite room, it was hard to fully assess that feature. Owner's comments?

3. Has anyone heard any rumors, or know from what is currently available in Japan, whether Sony has plans to release a smaller (50-60) version of this set in the near future? While I love this TV it is just too wide to fit.

It has been a while since I have been really excited about a new television but the Qualia really has done it! I cannot stop thinking about this amazing set and wanting to have one in my home!

Answers to your first 2 questions.

1) I'm perfectly happy with the blacks and set's contrast ratio.

2) The set can be viewed at very wide angles horizontally and vertically with almost no loss of light output. MUCH BETTER than RPTV CRT sets.
post #813 of 17300 Old 02-01-2005, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

What do other owners think of the set's "built in" sound system?

I have to admit that I dislike it, and always use my AV receiver and my own speakers. I don't know what it is, but the set's speakers seem harsh to me. I find that surprising considering the fact that there are a number of user adjustable settings for the sound in the user menu, and considering that the set has a built in amplifier that most RPTVs don't have.

However, some family members do listen to it, so I'm looking for what others think is the best setting for the treble and bass for programs like CNN (not music). There are choices of "dynamic", "clear voice" and "custom" in the user menu, but neither "dynamic" or "clear voice" sound good to me, so I'm looking for a "custom" setting that will be less harsh to my non-audiophile ears.

I know I should teach them to use a universal remote and shut off the set's speakers and use my AV receiver etc., and it will come to that if I can't find an acceptable custom setting.
post #814 of 17300 Old 02-01-2005, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the info ... now I am really excited! Cannot wait for the 50" and 60" models.

The smoothness - that is the thing that really really impressed me about the Qualia 006 ... the amazing smoothness of the picture, even though the Sony Store where I saw the unit was not using one of Sony's better DVD players. I would love to see this unit hook to a Naim DVD5 or other top quality player. Even better I cannot wait to see a Chicago Cubs game from WGN HD on a Qualia (watched these games last summer on my KV36XBR400 and the PQ was outstanding) ... I am sure it would be like being in the stands!

As far as remotes are concerned ... I think you are better with a Home Theater Master or Harmony ... these remotes are far superior to anything Sony puts out.

Bob
If it is not HDTV it is not worth watching!
post #815 of 17300 Old 02-01-2005, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I wish Sony would "document" the 50-60" versions so that those of us waiting for this type of information could, finally, breathe!
post #816 of 17300 Old 02-01-2005, 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Ed Weinman
I wish Sony would "document" the 50-60" versions so that those of us waiting for this type of information could, finally, breathe!

No official word from Sony, AFAIK.

I called the Sony Qualia number (the one for setting up appointments to see Qualias), and the lady said the only new Qualia coming up in June will be the 46" LCD Qualia 005.

I hope they (Sony reps) are not confusing the Qualia 005 with smaller SXRDs.

If someone knows something more concrete about 50-60" SXRDs - please post.
post #817 of 17300 Old 02-01-2005, 10:13 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 580
Long time lurker here, I've been building out a room for a large built-in RPTV. I'm putting up the wall treatments now. So the end is in sight.

When I started my journey the Pioneer X20's series seemed to be the choice for RPTV. Now it seems the 006 is number one on my list. Although at $13k I've stopped calling the media wall a stage and I'm now thinking of it as an alter.

But I'd really like some thing about 85 inches. Any chance of a larger SXRD in the pipeline?
post #818 of 17300 Old 02-01-2005, 10:19 AM

nhey- wife was a little concerned the set was "too big" for our space. turns out detaching the speakers and pushing the unit back a little, in addition to bringing the receiver's speakers in close made it look substantially smaller. the upside is, my wife now has to get used to turning on the amp and TV at the same time (piece of cake given DTV's HD-TIVO remote can do both with one button click). Forced learning, but effective! :-)

For those that have Harmony remotes... are they as easy to program as the are to use?
post #819 of 17300 Old 02-01-2005, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

There's always the Mitsubishi Alpha at that size...
post #820 of 17300 Old 02-01-2005, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

85" ... if you want to go that big why not buy the Qualia 004 projector?

Bob
If it is not HDTV it is not worth watching!
post #821 of 17300 Old 02-01-2005, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Have you ever considered just keeping your TV on mute and configuring your remote control to automatically change your stereo to the right input?

I configured mine years ago and the family is happy with it. We use the receiver for everything.

One press of the Sat button on the remote and receiver changes to the sat input and the TV changes to the video 3. Both via discrete codes.

Quote:

Originally posted by nhey
What do other owners think of the set's "built in" sound system?

I have to admit that I dislike it, and always use my AV receiver and my own speakers. I don't know what it is, but the set's speakers seem harsh to me. I find that surprising considering the fact that there are a number of user adjustable settings for the sound in the user menu, and considering that the set has a built in amplifier that most RPTVs don't have.

However, some family members do listen to it, so I'm looking for what others think is the best setting for the treble and bass for programs like CNN (not music). There are choices of "dynamic", "clear voice" and "custom" in the user menu, but neither "dynamic" or "clear voice" sound good to me, so I'm looking for a "custom" setting that will be less harsh to my non-audiophile ears.

I know I should teach them to use a universal remote and shut off the set's speakers and use my AV receiver etc., and it will come to that if I can't find an acceptable custom setting.

rather be lucky than good.
post #822 of 17300 Old 02-01-2005, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by BIGmouthinDC
But I'd really like some thing about 85 inches. Any chance of a larger SXRD in the pipeline?

BIGmouth,

I think Mitsubishi offers/offered an 82" RPTV using LCOS technology. I saw one in a local store about 45 days back, but didn't have a chance to do any critical evalutation. I think they were even more expensive than the Qualia006, but if this set is being closed out you might find a deal.

For me the Qualia's outstanding picture quality is more important than absolute screen size. The sharpness of these sets, however, will allow a larger screen size (or closer viewing) than was possible with lower resolution technologies.

Ray

post #823 of 17300 Old 02-01-2005, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Just got off the phone with Debbie at Qualia Customer Service. She's been trying to help with my problem with the delivery company -- to recap, they were trying to deliver my Q006 (tomorrow!) with only two men.

The Qualia manual clearly states you should have four people to move the set. However, if these people are "professional" movers Sony's requirement is that they use at least three men.

Qualia contacted NVS, and is guaranteeing they will make the delivery with three people. So, heads up to everyone waiting for their sets; when the delivery company calls to schedule a date be sure and ask how many people they'll be sending. This could have been a nightmare; there's simply no way they'd have been able to get my set upstairs with only two guys...

24 hours and counting!

Ray

post #824 of 17300 Old 02-01-2005, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by slocko
Have you ever considered just keeping your TV on mute and configuring your remote control to automatically change your stereo to the right input?

I configured mine years ago and the family is happy with it. We use the receiver for everything.

One press of the Sat button on the remote and receiver changes to the sat input and the TV changes to the video 3. Both via discrete codes.

Slocko-

With the 006, you can shut off the TV's speakers in the user menu, so I don't have to leave it on mute.

It's no problem for me to set up my remote so one button push turns on the TV and receiver at the same time, and sets the receiver to the correct input to receive the TV's volume. However, I'm just curious what others think of the sound from the 006's speakers, and whether they are able to adjust the treble and bass so that dialogue is at least reasonably listenable.
post #825 of 17300 Old 02-01-2005, 11:53 AM

I have a photo of the 005 taken at CES if only I know how to attach to this thread I'd share it with you folks.

Nathan Simmons
post #826 of 17300 Old 02-01-2005, 12:00 PM

When they do come out with the 50" and 60" versions (wishfully thinking), do you think everything internally will remain the same (scaler, etc.)? I can't fit a 70" in my built-in but a 60" would be perfect. It would be important to me that the same technology that the 70" has will be in the smaller versions.

Thoughts?
post #827 of 17300 Old 02-01-2005, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Sorry, what model is the 005?
post #828 of 17300 Old 02-01-2005, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
Quote:

Originally posted by Ed Weinman
Sorry, what model is the 005?

This was on the internet:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sony have announced a number of new TV's including the Qualia 005, a 46" LCD TV that uses LEDs (light emitting diodes) as a backlight (Sony claim this improves the color reproduction of the TV).

Other features include Emotion Engine and Graphics Synthesizer, regular TV to HDTV upscaler (makes regular TV look better), and cross media bar GUI. The price is around $10,000.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Availability to be anounced later

Is it LIVE or is it on a Sony XBR 65X950B
post #829 of 17300 Old 02-01-2005, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

Tulsa1,

Thanks.
post #830 of 17300 Old 02-01-2005, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:

Originally posted by brt3
BIGmouth,

I think Mitsubishi offers/offered an 82" RPTV using LCOS technology. I saw one in a local store about 45 days back, but didn't have a chance to do any critical evalutation. I think they were even more expensive than the Qualia006, but if this set is being closed out you might find a deal.

For me the Qualia's outstanding picture quality is more important than absolute screen size. The sharpness of these sets, however, will allow a larger screen size (or closer viewing) than was possible with lower resolution technologies.

Ray

That would be the Mits WL-82913 LCoS set. A salesman at Sound Advice/Tweeter here in Ft. Lauderdale told me a few months ago he could let me have it for $18,000.
post #831 of 17300 Old 02-01-2005, 01:35 PM

You can but the 82" Mits at a number of places for $11-12,000.
post #832 of 17300 Old 02-01-2005, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Nhey

I think the sound quality of 006 is certainly acceptable. But in no event is it anywhere near what I am used to with my Denon 3503 and 5.1 speakers. When I watch ota using the Sony tuner I use the Sony speakers. I did tweak the various sound adjusments on the Sony. Most of the time I watch ota thru my Hughes stb and the sound trough the Denon is outstanding. I am considering getting an optical cable to output the Sony sound to my Denon and not using the Sony speakers at all.

Bernie
post #833 of 17300 Old 02-01-2005, 01:53 PM

It would seem logical to me that if Sony has spent many millions of dollars developing the SXRD technology and many millions more building and equipping a fab plant to make the actual chips; they aren't going to stop at a single 70" RPTV that retails for $13k!

To recoup/make a profit on such a large investment, Sony will have to come out with many more products featuring the SXRD technology.

IIRC, their new fab plant won't be ready 'til 2006; so that may be when we see 50" - 60" Qualias, as well as even lower price point XBR/SXRD displays.

Be skiing ya,

DSG
post #834 of 17300 Old 02-01-2005, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
No offense to any owners or potential owners but, I wouldn't pay half that much for that TV.(Mits Alpha)
post #835 of 17300 Old 02-01-2005, 01:55 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 580
We prefer to keep the lights up in our viewing area and a Rear Projection seems to make the most sense.

I looked at the Alpha and was unimpressed at the picture quality and how washed out the blacks were.

I also thought about getting a projector and the necessary mirrors and screen to build it into the wall. But then isn't the 006 basically a junior version of the 004 projector built into a portable wall? I'd just like it bigger.
post #836 of 17300 Old 02-01-2005, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Attention colortv and maybe jb007?

Just posted on the Sony DVD thread.

Apparently, Sony Canada has pulled all Dvd players 975 from the Sony Stores displays and shelves. They have been asked to send all units back to warehouse.

Keep a watchful eye.
post #837 of 17300 Old 02-01-2005, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member

So how long after sales did the GIII crap out? Give the 006 the same time and hold your breath.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
post #838 of 17300 Old 02-01-2005, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

The 006 aint no $300 DVD player with a history of problems from day1.
post #839 of 17300 Old 02-01-2005, 02:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Don H
So how long after sales did the Gen III LCD crap out? Give the 006 the same time and hold your breath.

Brilliant statement.

The OO6 is not an LCD.
post #840 of 17300 Old 02-01-2005, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by nhey
Brilliant statement.

The OO6 is not an LCD.

My bad. Meant to say SXRD. Still its a Sony. $13,000 for a rear view projector! Brilliant.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Sony

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page