AVS Forum banner

QUALIA 006 Owner's Thread

Tags
sony
2M views 17K replies 482 participants last post by  Beefchopper 
#1 · (Edited)
In September 2004, the first news posted about a Sony 70" rear projection television capable of displaying 1080p appeared on the AVS forum. A news release from Cedia stated the model would be called a Sony KDS70XBR100 and sell for $10,000, with availability in early 2005. That television turned out to be the QUALIA 006 (Original MSRP $13,000), utilizing Sony proprietary technology labeled SXRD. A matching stand sold for $1,500. The entire QUALIA line of products was discontinued by Sony in early 2006. The latest reported manufacture date of a Q006 is January 2006.There were two QUALIA boutiques, located inside Sony Style stores. One in New York and the other in Las Vegas. I placed my order with the QUALIA store in Las Vegas on 12/30/04 and received my Q006 on 1/7/05.Screen Shots:NFL screen shots.CSI: NY screen shots.Various screen shots courtesy of brt3.Reviews:Sound & Vision Magazine.audio video revolution August 2005.JoeC5 posted this comparison between his newly purchased Q006 and Mitsubishi 65813.Picture Settings:brt3 provides these settings after tweaking with DVE (1080i) on his JVC 40000 over Input 4.mauricef provides settings from a Panasonic XP50 DVD player, which he verified were also excellent with a JVC DVHS player and HDTV from CableCard.JP2’s settings using a HTPC outputting a 1080i signal via a DVI to HDMI cable to the 006.From Penton-Man, here are his settings.nhey had his set professionally calibrated and posted these results.Miscellaneous:The Qualia 006 Owner's Guide in pdf.Here is a link to the Qualia 006 web page maintained by 006 owner brt3. This site contains photos, and a lot of other helpful information.To view signal strength of a digital station you are receiving from an antenna connected to the 006, go to Menu, then Diagnostics, and while utilizing the antenna feed as source material you can view signal strength and frequency of the station as descibed here.If you do not own a digital camera that utilizes the memory stick format, you can still purchase a memory stick (and reader, if necessary) to copy photos from your computer onto the memory stick, for display on the 006. These are the instructions.Bulb ReplacementYou can order a Sony OEM XL5000 replacement bulb for between $119.95 from TV Lamps For Less.To check the hours on your bulb and/or to reset the hours, this is the Official Sony Protocol.Joe C5 provides these detailed directions for resetting the lamp timer.Here are Tulsa1's instructions for carefully cleaning the glass plate adjacent to the bulb, which is known to accumulate a lot of dirt and dust, which may affect your picture more than you realize.Qualia Customer Support: 877-QUALIA3jb007

See less See more
#542 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by Penton-Man
Hey, no complaints here!

You did me a HUGE favor!

Since I didn't take delivery the first 006 as was promised, I received a complimentary perk from Sony for appeasement.(think of that silver thing that the 006 sits on top of - and is actually locked into place with- which is great for us quake dwellers!).

I couldn't be happier that you voiced your concern.

Happy I could (unknowingly) be of service!

As Bill Murray said in Caddyshack, "How about a little something for the effort?"

I'm thinking a Blu-Ray player would be a great gift

#543 ·
I just stopped in at the Sony Store here in Vancouver, Canada on my work break. WOW! I want one. I was amazed at the film like quality. Gorgeous colors.

I said I would never buy a rear projection TV ... but this is an exception. I tried sitting and standing ... I did not see the usual darkening of the image that you get on most RPTV's.

Actually, 70 inches is a bit too big for my living room. It won't fit between my ML speakers. I am looking for a 55-60 inch screen. The salesmen indicated that there may be one later in the year ... in which case it would go to the top of my wish list!

Also, may need a different stand ... I doubt my Martin Logan Cinema center speaker would fit.

One small concern ... we checked to see if there was anything being broadcast in HDTV (daytime is bad) ... there was nothing. We checked PBS ... it was an upconvert that was producing horrible pixelation ... very large pixels. Any reason for this?

#545 ·
I know the answer to this question, but it helps if I hear it from you guys.

With every glowing report I want this TV more and more. Somehow 16k doesn't even sound scary any more.

Since I am moving from NJ to Florida in June/July, it doesn't make sense to buy this TV and then risk damage during a move.

Correct right????

#546 ·
slocko,

I agree with you on the moving thing. I just had a couple of guys come pick up one of my old sets and we were talking about if/when I ever have to move the 006. I decided not to keep the original boxes for the 006 which I usually keep. However, I think I got lucky with the crew that delivered the 006 to me. I will definately use a specialty mover when that time comes. I would not want to have to move it twice if I had the choice. If you do, make sure to keep all of the boxes.

brgds,

jp

#548 ·
I am also experiencing some audio problems. Sometimes the audio would go off and on, and sometimes just the picture for a split second. I thought it was just the sat feed. I am using a toslink cable from my Bose receiver to the 006, while viewing from a Directv source. Sometimes the audio goes off completely and I would have to shut everything down and then everything would be fine afterwards. I also have the HDMI connected to input 6. I am going to try a different HDMI cable and see if it still occurs. If it does, then I will try input 7. I also experienced something strange last night. After shutting down because of the audio problem, I turned on the 006 and the directv receiver and the power light indicator on the 006 kept on blinking green with no picture like it was still searching for a source. It kept like this for several minutes. After several re-boots, it finally worked with sound. Really strange????????? Any comments on this guys!!!!!!!!

#549 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by jb007
Happy I could (unknowingly) be of service!

As Bill Murray said in Caddyshack, "How about a little something for the effort?"

I'm thinking a Blu-Ray player would be a great gift

Hey, we BOTH made out like bandits.

You got yours before the "24" ? season premier and I got mine with a substantial discount.

I'm ALREADY working on the Blu-ray player....um....that be one only - pour moi.

Can't burn any bridges you know. You lawyers are actually good for something other than charging obscene hourly rates.

#550 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by slocko
I know the answer to this question, but it helps if I hear it from you guys.

With every glowing report I want this TV more and more. Somehow 16k doesn't even sound scary any more.

Since I am moving from NJ to Florida in June/July, it doesn't make sense to buy this TV and then risk damage during a move.

Correct right????

Correct.

If I had to rely upon ANYBODY to move this TV from NJ to Florida...I would personally have problems sleeping at night.

#551 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by nhey
Penton and SRT-10 -

My dual picture was also from input 6.

This is quite interesting.

That's apparently 3 people now.

I think we should all try video 7 when we get a chance to crawl behind the monster to see if this is reproducible on that input.

I imagine theoretically, it should be if it is a handshake problem. If we NEVER see it on video 7 then we've got a fly in the ointment errrr perhaps just a gnat - because after all it is really a minor inconvenience.

#552 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by kaduku
I also experienced something strange last night. After shutting down because of the audio problem, I turned on the 006 and the directv receiver and the power light indicator on the 006 kept on blinking green with no picture like it was still searching for a source. It kept like this for several minutes. After several re-boots, it finally worked with sound. Really strange????????? Any comments on this guys!!!!!!!!

Sorry, can't help you here.

I've never experienced that.

Are you a new directv subscriber or have you been using that serice with a previous display ?

#553 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by kaduku
I am also experiencing some audio problems. Sometimes the audio would go off and on, and sometimes just the picture for a split second. I thought it was just the sat feed. I am using a toslink cable from my Bose receiver to the 006, while viewing from a Directv source. Sometimes the audio goes off completely and I would have to shut everything down and then everything would be fine afterwards. I also have the HDMI connected to input 6. I am going to try a different HDMI cable and see if it still occurs. If it does, then I will try input 7. I also experienced something strange last night. After shutting down because of the audio problem, I turned on the 006 and the directv receiver and the power light indicator on the 006 kept on blinking green with no picture like it was still searching for a source. It kept like this for several minutes. After several re-boots, it finally worked with sound. Really strange????????? Any comments on this guys!!!!!!!!

Kaduku - I think I have the answer. When you shut off the 006 did you wait about 2 minutes before turning it on again? I doubt it. What happened is that you shut off the set and then turned it on while the set was going through its cool down period and during that time the green light on the set blinks. Try this. Shut off the 006 and stand near the right side. You will hear the fan in the rear of the set go on, and the fan will remain on for about 2 minutes as the bulb cools down. After the fan goes off, then turn the set back on, and you will get the normal "turn on" sequence. You will see a dark picture after about 10 seconds and a fully bright picture after about 30 seconds. Then try whatever you want with the Directv receiver. There was no problem - this is the way the set works.

#554 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by Penton-Man
This is quite interesting.

That's apparently 3 people now.

I think we should all try video 7 when we get a chance to crawl behind the monster to see if this is reproducible on that input.

I imagine theoretically, it should be if it is a handshake problem. If we NEVER see it on video 7 then we've got a fly in the ointment errrr perhaps just a gnat - because after all it is really a minor inconvenience.

Penton and SRT-10 - I'll try input 7. I'm 100% sure the "double picture" we are seeing is simply the "handshake" issue that you surmised. The test would be for one of us 3 to connect another box such as a DVD player with a DVI output to the 006 using a DVI to HDMI cable to input 6 to see if this "dual picture" problem occurs. If it does, then it is a "glitch" with the 006 and not with the cable box. However, I don't have another box with a DVI output.

I'm sure one of the current owners has already hooked up a DVD player via the DVI to HDMI to input 6 and not had this problem, which would indicate the glitch is not with the 006 but with our cable box. Can someone confirm this?

#555 ·
Heya... I've got a question for the 006 owners (club). Earlier in this thread, someone mentioned that when the 006's speakers are installed, the optical audio output is disabled.

That doesn't make much sense though... I'm planning to use the TV itself as a switcher, and I'd like to have an external audio system (the yamaha ysp-1) hooked up to the optical audio output. But I also want to keep the original speakers hooked up to be used occasionally (for news, etc).

Can anyone please test this to see how it really works?

Thanks....

#556 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by 3deye
Heya... I've got a question for the 006 owners (club). Earlier in this thread, someone mentioned that when the 006's speakers are installed, the optical audio output is disabled.

That doesn't make much sense though... I'm planning to use the TV itself as a switcher, and I'd like to have an external audio system (the yamaha ysp-1) hooked up to the optical audio output. But I also want to keep the original speakers hooked up to be used occasionally (for news, etc).

Thanks....

Unfortunately there is only one ANALOG audio output, switchable in the 006 menu - either to the Qualia's speakers OR to the RCA jacks on the back of the set. Simply having the speakers installed does not automatically mute the analog audio output, but I'm not certain if the optical audio output is ever muted in spite of the analog output setting in the menu. Is anyone else running optical audio output to their external audio system? My Yamaha arrives on Friday and I'm planning to make the same connection as 3deye.

#557 ·
Ok here are what I think are some unanswered questions about this set (which I am getting this Saturday!).

1) Does professional calibration help?

2) Is the HDMI input definitely better than the component input. It should be, but can anyone notice a difference?

3) What happens when you try to play a computer game at 1980 x 1080 at a really high frame rate, do you get artfiacts because the set can only do 30 fps?

#558 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by 3deye

Thanks....

Here's the answer based on reading the manual (not actually testing this): In the user menu, under Audio, you can turn on or off the set's speakers. They DO NOT have to be removed. You can shut off the sets audio output through its 2 speakers by choosing "off" in the Audio menu under Speakers. You can then get audio from the optical digital audio out. So... yes, you can do what you want to do with the Yamaha. The manual also states that you can set "Audio Out" in the user menu to either "variable" which allows the Qualia remote control that comes with the set to control the volume, or to "fixed" in which the audio coming out of the TV is fixed and you control the volume by the receivers remote control. It doesn't say if this works with the optical audio out or just with the analog audio out that the set has.

#559 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by punkzip
Ok here are what I think are some unanswered questions about this set (which I am getting this Saturday!).

1) Does professional calibration help?

2) Is the HDMI input definitely better than the component input. It should be, but can anyone notice a difference?

3) What happens when you try to play a computer game at 1980 x 1080 at a really high frame rate, do you get artfiacts because the set can only do 30 fps?

Answers:

1) Won't know till one of us gets a professional ISF guy to calibrate our set. My guess is that they will be able to make subtle improvements, but not major because this set is GREAT OUT OF THE BOX - all you need to do is set color temp. to warm and set the picture mode to "pro" instead of vivid.

2) I've been looking at this a lot. I now think it might be a little better with HDMI but not a major difference. With HD material, both are GREAT - the amount of detail you'll see will amaze you.

3) I guess you'll finally get this question answered when you get the set yourself and check it out. Please let us all know what you find.

NOTE TO PENTON et al. Guess what? NO "double picture" when hooking the Comcast HD PVR to input 7 with a DVI to HDMI cable. It may be a glitch with input 6 -but as we'ver said its a MINOR glitch that is quickly overcome by simply changing the channel or pressing the wide mode button on the remote.

NOTE TO COLORTV: The Comcast menu appears when I shut off the Comcast box and press menu on the remote control. I've never had to press the menu button on the box itself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.