QUALIA 006 Owner's Thread - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #991 of 17312 Old 02-04-2005, 12:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Please,Please all Q owners post some screenshots. I want screenshots.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 17312 Old 02-04-2005, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Originally posted by kmbutts
I do, however have a couple of questions that I'd like to ask you privileged owners.

1. I saw a few threads back that someone was displaying images of Amazon from the Windows Media HD Video series; my question is, in order to view the HD DVD from Windows Media, will the Qualia need to be hooked up to a PC, or can the disc be viewed through a HD DVD Player instead?

2. Would any of you recommend that I use the Monster Cable's Signature AVS2000 Automatic Voltage Stabilizer and their upgraded THX Ultra component cables?

3. Would it be better to use a 5.1 or 7.1 home theater set up for this beast?

4. Would it be overkill to purchase both a HD VHS machine i.e. the HM-DT100U and a Blu-Ray DVD player?

1. I've never had any experience hooking my computer up to the 006.

2. As others have posted, I don't believe there is a significant viewing advantage when utilizing super expensive cables. IMHO, the basic Monster brand cables should be as pleasing to your eyes as the ultra-expensive THX ones. I also feel the same way about the Voltage Stabilizer, however, YMMV.

3. Personal preference. Most DVD's and HD is encoded in 5.1.

4. You can purchase a DVHS player today, Blu-Ray DVD is not yet available.
post #993 of 17312 Old 02-04-2005, 01:45 PM

Hey guys newb here and I wanted to talk about the Qualia briefly. I might be the only one here (haven't read every post) that has actually seen the 006 playing Blu-Ray Discs. I had a chance to attend a seminar I believe it was the first time BR was shown in Texas and I have to say you aint seen nothing yet. I got to see a demo of Lawrence of Arabia half the screen was standard DVD ( a VERY good standard I might add) the other half was of course Blu Ray. The difference was pitiful really and I also saw the Spiderman 2 trailer and it was like I had never seen it before or something. You guys with 006's should be very proud because it won't be long till you get to see what these babies can do. I want one but I'm too poor lol.
post #994 of 17312 Old 02-04-2005, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Neo2005
My stand is in the design stage and I know that the SONY stand is 16.5 High. To include storage features I would like to make my stand a little higher say 2-3". How do you think that would effect the viewing from say 10 feet when my eye is approx 39-40". Dilbert1 has said that height is critical and I do not want to screw this up.

My Chicane stand (pictured in previous posts) is a bit higher than the Sony stand. My viewing distance is 8'. The center of the screen is a few inches higher than straight on viewing, but after lots of extended viewing I haven't found it to be the slightest bother, nor has anyone else who has watched the TV in my home. I'm sure there is a threshold you don't want to cross, but my setup isn't over the line. If you want, I can measure the top of my Chicane stand to give you an idea of how high it is from the floor.
post #995 of 17312 Old 02-04-2005, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Auditor55
I'm sorry to hear that at 10K the SXRD failed in this area.

Huh?? Please re-read what I said - you misunderstood. The intent of my response is to say that the Qualia 006 EXCELS in the blacks. It has the best shadow detail of any RPTV on the market today. CRT's are likely to be the best at displaying more shadow detail than ANY consumer-priced digital display for awhile. But the Qualia 006 has excellent blacks and has not left me wanting for more - not at all a failure in this area.
post #996 of 17312 Old 02-04-2005, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Auditor55
"I understood that this set is reasonably good with shadow detail so I am wondering why I may be seeing a lot of black crush. I will try to get a DVD to test this. I am using the default "normal" video setting."

I like what I'm reading about this set, but the black level issues concern me.

As I have stated in other posts, when the set is adjusted correctly, the blacks are NOT crushed and the shadow detail is better than any other digital display technology I have seen to date. Proper adjustment is the key. DVE can fool you, depending on your DVD player. The settings on the DVD player's input to the TV may not apply to your STB or ATSC tuner. The other inputs may need to be tweaked the old fashioned way - by eye to your personal taste. It would be great if test signals could be occasionally transmitted on cable and ATSC so we could make accurate adjustments. I'd gladly get up at 3am to make those tweaks if I knew the signals were being transmitted. Probably not gonna happen.
post #997 of 17312 Old 02-04-2005, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

jp2- Thanks for getting back with your complete list of settings....that was FAST!
nhey- thanks for the rewrite and
jb007- thanks for the post it on page 1.

nhey,
when I get some time I'll also start the "where is my free replacement bulb" query. You're correct......the greater number of people that present this question to their cierges - the quicker we will get a satisfactory result.
post #998 of 17312 Old 02-04-2005, 02:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by HiDef Bob
How would you say the Qualia compares to a top of the line Plasma for PQ - colors, contrast and blacks.

I've lived with my 006 for almost 3 weeks and am very accustomed to the look. I stopped by Good Guys again this morning and looked at every HD set on display - plasma, LCD, DLP, D-ILA, CRT. The SXRD beats them all, hands down. Better than Sony and Fujistu's more expensive plasmas which was a surprise. This $13K looks better than the $19K plasma with a smaller screen. Not that the Qualia 006 is a bargain, but considering the competition - I think it's worth the money.
post #999 of 17312 Old 02-04-2005, 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mike7200
Dilbert1 - I don't have a Qualia. I don't even have much hope of seeing one anytime soon in the Pittsburgh area. I can only drool at the thought of what you and the other new owners are experiencing.

I do have a new Sony LCD RP, though, and I ran into the same problem with the Video5, Video6, etc. pop-up on the screen. If you have a button on your remote labeled 'Display', pressing it may be the answer. It was for me.

Great good luck to you with the new set. Please keep posting your impressions for those of us who can only dream about it - at least for the time being.

Anyone else in Pittsburgh area wish to see this tv on display sometime next week, I will have it where i work. Digital Visions in Wexford.
post #1000 of 17312 Old 02-04-2005, 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by nhey
For those who are wondering, removing the set's speakers does make the set appear to be considerbly smaller, so that should improve your WAF (it's still big, especially if you are not used to looking at a large RPTV). I previously had a 64" inch set so the change going to 70" is not much for me.

I still think a stand that is taller than about 16 or 17" will be problematic for many folks' families - at least, I guess, until they get used to looking up a little from a seated position. Of course, it's all personal preference when you come down to it.

With the center of the 006 at 43 1/2" and height of the eye with the average furniture at 39-40" this stand (Sony) already puts it about 3-4" above eye height. If one was to go to a stand of 24" you would have the set center point aprox. 11-12" above your eye sitting on avg. seating. I think the distance from the set to seating position would affect this --with farther back having less of an angle up. Any thoughts?

Roy

Nothing is so firmly believed as that which least is known
(3) Cisco 8742HDC---Signature Home
Desert Cities CA
post #1001 of 17312 Old 02-04-2005, 03:34 PM

Hi guys,

Just got the 006 yesterday and hooked it up. It was jaw dropping! The whites are the best I have seen, and the blacks are just as good or better than crt, IMO, Colortv. Beats my panny pdp hands down in every aspect. Nothing on the market can come close, but I'm not telling you all anything you already don't know. I feel lucky to have this set, and even more lucky to be a part of this forum. Now my wife knows what all the fuss was over!!

sj
post #1002 of 17312 Old 02-04-2005, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by sparkysj
Hi guys,

Just got the 006 yesterday and hooked it up. It was jaw dropping! The whites are the best I have seen, and the blacks are just as good or better than crt, IMO, Colortv. Beats my panny pdp hands down in every aspect. Nothing on the market can come close, but I'm not telling you all anything you already don't know. I feel lucky to have this set, and even more lucky to be a part of this forum. Now my wife knows what all the fuss was over!!

sj

sparkysj,

You've contributed with posts to this thread before, so now that you're an "official" owner, we're expecting big things from you
post #1003 of 17312 Old 02-04-2005, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member

It's rare that any product lives up to the hype, but this one does. Obviously a lot of people have bought these sets sight unseen. Are we reading any serious complaints? So far ...no. That really says something! I can't imagine any negative reviews in the HT rags. What complaints could you have with this thing? Maybe minor screen reflection issues?

I haven't seen anymore double-pix on HDMI input 6. The only time I saw it was when I switched to the input when the DVR was paused - as soon as I punched play on the DVR remote, the double-pix vanished. And as we now know, this double-pix issue is not a fault of our TV's.

Sony USA needs to stock spare lamps NOW! I want to buy one, exclusive of the free replacement offer. The thought of having a $13K TV with a blown lamp and no replacement bulb available is chilling. I assume if one of us has that unfortunate occurrence, Sony without hesitation will expedite a replacement from Japan directly to our door.

Someone mentioned they could not see much difference between a D-Theater 1080i tape of "Entrapment" and an SD DVD. I beg to differ - I rented the SD DVD and the HD D-Theater version blows it away. Not only in resolution, but color space. I would not recommend tying up a lot of $$ in a D-Theater movie collection, but I think the machine and a few D-Theater tapes are worth the investment for now to see how much you can get out of your Qualia 006. Also a nice way to archive HD content from the Qualia's tuner and a Firewire equipped STB/DVR. Most of us have some old VHS tapes we might want to play (rarely) and I've noticed my JVC 40000U seems to get more out of those old tapes than I would have expected. The Qualia DRC seems to massage those low res videos - I was surprised.
post #1004 of 17312 Old 02-04-2005, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Zechman
Only games listed to explicitly support 1080i will actually output 1080i. In the XBox dashboard, you should enable all resolutions that your TV can accept--for the Qualia, that means all of them. In addition, you'll need to tell your XBox that you have a wide-screen set (these menu options only appear if you have the High Definition AV Pack connected), and that you have a Dolby Digital receiver (assuming that you actually do and have the XBox connected to it).

In the case of a 720p game, you will want to have 720p turned on as a viable resolution in the XBox dashboard, and let your TV scale it up (or down) to its native resolution. The XBox will not up-scale a game to a higher resolution than the game supports. It will down-scale to 480i, and frankly I don't know if it will down-scale to 480p or not. When in doubt, look at the back of the box to see what resolutions are supported.

To put it another way, you don't get to choose what resolution(s) the game will display--the game designers have already chosen that for you. What you do get to do is tell the XBox what resolutions your TV is capable of displaying. If you have 480p turned off and 1080i turned on in the Dashboard settings, a 480p game will display at 480i.

jp2 (and kaduku): I don't know if this is something you already knew or not, and I'm not really directing this at you in particular--it's just that I read your response that way and wanted to make sure that no one else read it that way, too.

As for your second question, the 1080i game should indeed have higher resolution and more visible detail than a 480p game. Whether it actually looks or plays better is really dependent on the artists and game designers. I think you'd have a hard time convincing people that the Atari Anthology (1080i) is "better" than Halo 2 (480p).

--Dwayne

Thanks Dwayne for the additional info. I can't wait to try other games on the 006 like Need for Speed.

Laterz
post #1005 of 17312 Old 02-04-2005, 03:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hi guys,

sj,
Glad to hear that your set came in one piece. I also look forward to hearing your reviews on your baby.

Laterz
post #1006 of 17312 Old 02-04-2005, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by colortv
What complaints could you have with this thing? Maybe minor screen relection issues?

The only other thing I've noticed is that sometimes the Qualia image has a slight "digital" quality, as in very (excessively?) crisp edges, sometimes with a faint hint of "ringing" or double image where you have a strong contrast between a sharply defined edge and the background behind. This is not severe in any way -- my set is still not 100% dialed in, and because I'm still working on wiring issues the stand is not all the way back against the wall. I may be noticing these artifacts because I'm so close to the screen.

One other thing could be happening with this set and will doubtlessly be an issue for all of us Q006 owners. The resolution of this display is so high that it will ruthlessly display faults with the source material. The "problem" I describe above may be just that -- seeing faults with the source material, or artifacts induced by the transmission method, because they are not "masked" by a lower resolution display.

Ray

post #1007 of 17312 Old 02-04-2005, 04:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by MotorMouth777
Can any of you illustrious gentlemen clairify a question I have. I saw a current 70 inch Sony XBR today and from 14 feet with my tape measure I could not make our any SDE. I brought my tape measure so I could be sure I was viewing things from the exact distance of my couch.

The question is will I see a significant picture difference from the Qualia 006 vs the 70 XBR at this distance. I would assume the Qualia has a "better" picture but what I need help with is there a real world difference for the extra $7,000 to my viewing experience.

I made a similar comparison when I first saw the Qualia 006 at the Sony Store in Las Vegas. Granted, the two 70" displays were not in the same room for side-by-side evaluation, but I went between rooms watching the same show on Discovery HD from a similar 10' (approx) viewing distance. No doubt, the Qualia's PQ blew away the LCD RPTV. Even though the LCD's SDE doesn't jump out at 10' the Qualia's picture has a velvet smoothness and it's a heck of a lot crisper. I would not settle for a 720p display now that I've witnessed the superiority of 1080p SXRD.

The scaler is superior in the Qualia, the colors more accurate, the overall viewing experience much more satisfying. I understand budget constraints - I have them too. But will you be able to accept anything less than this TV? If you go for anything else, I suggest that you do not ever let a Qualia 006 in your sights or you will have major regrets. Pinch pennies, save up for it if at all possible. That said, I am glad there are less expensive HDTV's out there. Without them, the HD revolution would not happen. It will be great to see an HDTV for every pocketbook.
post #1008 of 17312 Old 02-04-2005, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

i think Motormouth already made the plunge. He just has to wait a while. 5 weeks I think?

rather be lucky than good.
post #1009 of 17312 Old 02-04-2005, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Wait time is 4 weeks according to Sony cierge in NYC. The first shipment sold out, they are waiting for more to arrive from Japan. Or so they say.

Cheers
post #1010 of 17312 Old 02-04-2005, 05:34 PM

My stand builder and I have worked out the CD/DVD storage issues and this stand should hold 648 CDs using slide out CD / DVD storage units. Four doors / 4 compartments 1 shelf in the middle of each. Still looking for some nice small stained glass pannels for the doors. This stand will be approx. 21.5H x 85W x 26.5 D. That should put the middle of the screen at 49".
Anybody think that at 10 feet that would be tooooooo high with eye level at say 39-40"??

Coulld someone give me the actual screen measurements, excluding the foot stand and speakers.

Thanks

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"
- Arthur C. Clarke

Regards,

Neo2005
post #1011 of 17312 Old 02-04-2005, 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by jb007
sparkysj,

You've contributed with posts to this thread before, so now that you're an "official" owner, we're expecting big things from you

jb007,

I will do my best! I am a busy rural family practice physician with few cohorts and this keeps me hopping!!

Kaduku,

You mentioned a few pages back you had somewhat of a collection of superbit DVDs. Could you give me a couple titles you like beside the Fifth Element?

sj
post #1012 of 17312 Old 02-04-2005, 05:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Joel
Wait time is 4 weeks according to Sony cierge in NYC. The first shipment sold out, they are waiting for more to arrive from Japan. Or so they say.

This is exactly what I was afraid of. The time I am ready to make the move and they don't have in stock and the uncertainty of when they will be available for delivery. Glad I made the move!!!! I have friends coming over for Super Bowl and I can't wait to blow their minds away!!!!!!

Laterz
post #1013 of 17312 Old 02-04-2005, 05:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You mentioned a few pages back you had somewhat of a collection of superbit DVDs. Could you give me a couple titles you like beside the Fifth Element?

sj,
All were awesome. I did finally get Fifth Element and it was superb! Both Spider-mans were also nice. It's really hard to recommend any, since they all great, though I really liked Starship Troopers and Leon The Professional.

Laterz
post #1014 of 17312 Old 02-04-2005, 05:54 PM

Quote:

I made a similar comparison when I first saw the Qualia 006 at the Sony Store in Las Vegas. Granted, the two 70" displays were not in the same room for side-by-side evaluation, but I went between rooms watching the same show on Discovery HD from a similar 10' (approx) viewing distance. No doubt, the Qualia's PQ blew away the LCD RPTV. Even though the LCD's SDE doesn't jump out at 10' the Qualia's picture has a velvet smoothness and it's a heck of a lot crisper. I would not settle for a 720p display now that I've witnessed the superiority of 1080p SXRD.

The scaler is superior in the Qualia, the colors more accurate, the overall viewing experience much more satisfying. I understand budget constraints - I have them too. But will you be able to accept anything less than this TV? If you go for anything else, I suggest that you do not ever let a Qualia 006 in your sights or you will have major regrets. Pinch pennies, save up for it if at all possible. That said, I am glad there are less expensive HDTV's out there. Without them, the HD revolution would not happen. It will be great to see an HDTV for every pocketbook.

Colortv,

I was reading about a new stand alone vidio processor/scaler Sony came out with this past month. So far they have not decided to ship overseas, just sell in Japan. Has high praise and selling like hotcakes. I would not be surprised if it wasn't the same proscessor Sony developed for the 006?

sj
post #1015 of 17312 Old 02-04-2005, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Someone mentioned they could not see much difference between a D-Theater 1080i tape of "Entrapment" and an SD DVD. I beg to differ - I rented the SD DVD and the HD D-Theater version blows it away. Not only in resolution, but color space. I would not recommend tying up a lot of $$ in a D-Theater movie collection, but I think the machine and a few D-Theater tapes are worth the investment for now to see how much you can get out of your Qualia 006. Also a nice way to archive HD content from the Qualia's tuner and a Firewire equipped STB/DVR. Most of us have some old VHS tapes we might want to play (rarely) and I've noticed my JVC 40000U seems to get more out of those old tapes than I would have expected. The Qualia DRC seems to massage those low res videos - I was surprised.

I also found that comment to be extremely surprising. I believe it was jb007 that made that observation.
Perhaps you guys should compare connections and settings so we all know that this isn't a case of comparing apples to oranges or whatever.
post #1016 of 17312 Old 02-04-2005, 07:11 PM

Neo2005

You can have my cardboard cutout that I made in my fantasy period....lol. Just make a rectangle 35 inches high by 61 inches wide and you got the viewing area of a 70 inch diagonal 16:9 TV

And yes guys, thanks to all of your support and information, I am finally making the plunge. I was able to come up with the extra "blood money" Sony is extorting out of us. Now the hard part is going to be the waiting.

If I had been born a rich kid named Winthorp I would not have had to wait like this. Unfortunately I am not part of the lucky sperm club and get to acturally work for a living.
post #1017 of 17312 Old 02-04-2005, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

sparkysj-
Lawrence of Arabia is a superb SuperBit....not just because of what the SuperBit moniker implies - but it is a remaster of the original film -supervised by the actual director.

The settings and cinematography are embelished by the Qualia 006 and this is one DVD that you will actually feel like you're in a real movie theater....alas without the crying babies and other such distractions.
post #1018 of 17312 Old 02-04-2005, 07:45 PM

We need screenshots.
post #1019 of 17312 Old 02-04-2005, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Penton-Man
I also found that comment to be extremely surprising. I believe it was jb007 that made that observation.
Perhaps you guys should compare connections and settings so we all know that this isn't a case of comparing apples to oranges or whatever.

It was me, I fess up and admit it

I have not compared Entrapment DVHS versus the DVD. I made the comment based on my observation between the DVHS (brand new 40000) playing Entrapment, which stutters and pixelizes into blocks at points (mostly after hitting the play button) and a Superbit DVD (Spidey 2 or 5th Element) on the Sony 975.

The DVHS is wired via firewire and component. The DVD is wired via HDMI and set to "auto" resolution. My component input (4) and HDMI (7) are both set to the same picture settings -- maybe that's the problem. I'm not saying I was disappointed with the DVHS picture, just that it is not noticeably different than the DVD picture. With HD via DirecTV or OTA, there is a discernible difference. Maybe I need to invite colortv down to San Diego for a visit (to show me what I'm doing wrong)
post #1020 of 17312 Old 02-04-2005, 08:44 PM
Advanced Member

Anyone,

Besides those expensive Monster or Panamax UPS, can I just use any ones like the APC UPS for computers. I just wonder if they are powerful enough to handle the 006 in case of a blackout. There was some discussion on this in earlier posts.

Laterz
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Sony