QUALIA 006 Owner's Thread - Page 50 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1471 of 17300 Old 02-12-2005, 05:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So far........................So good......................

Laterz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1472 of 17300 Old 02-12-2005, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Just posted screenshots online:

http://homepage.mac.com/raythompson/PhotoAlbum7.html

Hope this is helpful to others. These were taken today at 2 PM during pretty intense sunshine that was shining directly on the windows at the side of the room. The room has windows on three sides, and gets a lot of light during the day. The shades were down but are only translucent. The room was, as a result, brightly lit. The reflected image that sometimes appears is a bed with white linens. I made no effort to cover or hide it, so this is a worst-case scenario. Some pics have some digital noise added by the camera; sorry but this is my first attempt at screenshots. At some point I'll try and post screenshots from a darkened room for comparison.

PM; all those settings were, again, from DVE and were set using the test patterns. I did change some things slightly after viewing the included video footage, but (as I mentioned) I'll go back and "recheck" these in a week or two...

post #1473 of 17300 Old 02-12-2005, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally posted by brt3

Hope this is helpful to others. These were taken today at 2 PM during pretty intense sunshine that was shining directly on the windows at the side of the room. The room has windows on three sides, and gets a lot of light during the day. The shades were down but are only translucent. The room was, as a result, brightly lit. The reflected image that sometimes appears is a bed with white linens. I made no effort to cover or hide it, so this is a worst-case scenario. Some pics have some digital noise added by the camera; sorry but this is my first attempt at screenshots. At some point I'll try and post screenshots from a darkened room for comparison.

PM; all those settings were, again, from DVE and were set using the test patterns. I did change some things slightly after viewing the included video footage, but (as I mentioned) I'll go back and "recheck" these in a week or two...

Thanks brt3, there is now a link to your screenshots photo page in post #1.

jb007
post #1474 of 17300 Old 02-12-2005, 06:38 PM

What did he put as first and second? The new JVC an LG LCoS?

Quote:
Originally posted by HughScot
In his report he puts the SXRD in third place but states that the set did not look like it had been calibrated

post #1475 of 17300 Old 02-12-2005, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally posted by sycore
What did he put as first and second? The new JVC an LG LCoS?

Please don't encourage him as he entered this thread under the auspices of a well meaning individual but whose subsequent posts became more and more true to his nature. including lame excuses for everytime he took a swipe at the Qualia 006 or its cost (which has been well known now for about 2 months).

I suggest that if you want to pursue this line of questioning (which is absolutely of no use or contribution to the other posters here) you simply PM the angry old bugger or perhaps simply start a new thread on the RPTV forum entitled something such as Alternatives to the Qualia 006 where I'm sure he will be happy to respond prolifically.
post #1476 of 17300 Old 02-12-2005, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Penton-Man
Please don't encourage him as he entered this thread under the auspices of a well meaning individual but whose subsequent posts became more and more true to his nature. including lame excuses for everytime he took a swipe at the Qualia 006 or its cost (which has been well known now for about 2 months).

I suggest that if you want to pursue this line of questioning (which is absolutely of no use or contribution to the other posters here) you simply PM the angry old bugger or perhaps simply start a new thread on the RPTV forum entitled something such as Alternatives to the Qualia 006 where I'm sure he will be happy to respond prolifically.

Right on, PM! I am all for alternative opionions, new ways of looking at things, or the reality of different people seeing the same thing in different ways. But keeping this thread true to it's purpose -- and free of the BS apparent elsewhere on this forum -- is something we need to maintain. If someone has something based in demonstrable fact that they want to point out bring it on. But I don't understand people who just enjoy stirring the pot...

post #1477 of 17300 Old 02-12-2005, 07:46 PM
SDL

Penton-Man,

I've really enjoyed your posts in both this thread and in the 006 "anticipation thread" that preceded it. However, I think you're being too hard on Hugh. This thread is for current and prospective owners of the 006, and part of deciding whether to break down and buy a 006 is to compare it to the competition. So a few posts that discuss potential competition for the Sony "comes with the territory" when you have the best RPTV ever made.

I hope you're as enthusiastic as you can be about the 006, but there's no need to try to scare away posters who are not yet "true believers." I'm still undecided myself. I think the 006 sounds great and I may end of buying one, but I'd like to hear about any sets that look as good (if that's possible) and cost a bit less. Is that so wrong?

SDL
post #1478 of 17300 Old 02-12-2005, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

One thing I failed to clarify; I posted these pix specifically because there's been a lot of discussion about the Qualia's performance in a well-lit room. Hope the pix help lay these fears to rest; I think it looks pretty good under those conditions...

post #1479 of 17300 Old 02-12-2005, 07:55 PM

brt3

Thanks.....................Looks awesome and I am going crazy waiting. I am so pathetic I am actually excited to see your pics of the 006 in a darkened room. Penton, you've got a good camera don't you. Throw on Eurotrip and "enligten us". If you can shoot some pics of SD as well. We know the HD is awesome.

p.s.

Don't everyone be too hard on old Hugh...............I have it on good advice that he is not getting any lately.

Bratislava..........................................
post #1480 of 17300 Old 02-12-2005, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MotorMouth777
brt3 -- Thanks.....................Looks awesome and I am going crazy waiting. I am so pathetic I am actually excited to see your pics of the 006 in a darkened room. Penton, you've got a good camera don't you. Throw on Eurotrip and "enligten us". If you can shoot some pics of SD as well. We know the HD is awesome.

p.s. -- Don't everyone be too hard on old Hugh...............I have it on good advice that he is not getting any lately.

Bratislava..........................................

MotorMouth,

Do you often wear your swinging gold neckchain medallions?

Glad the pix help whet your appetite. If I can get some nighttime pix I'll post those too. Will check out "Eurotrip" for PQ...

post #1481 of 17300 Old 02-12-2005, 08:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Penton-Man

You go boy!!!!!!!!

If that don't scare him, nothing will!!!!!

Laterz
post #1482 of 17300 Old 02-12-2005, 08:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

brt3,
No to change the subject here. Can't help noticing that you use the D70, nice camera since I have one too. Just shows that us 006 owners do have good taste. What lens do you have?

Laterz
post #1483 of 17300 Old 02-12-2005, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kaduku
Can't help noticing that you use the D70, nice camera since I have one too. Just shows that us 006 owners do have good taste. What lens do you have?

kaduku,

I've been using Nikons for 25 years so I have a bunch of lenses. The one I shot the Qualia with was the 24-120/VR. A great lens, and the D70 has been a lot of fun. Never thought digital cameras would get this good this soon; same thing goes for digital projectors!

post #1484 of 17300 Old 02-12-2005, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SDL
I think you're being too hard on Hugh.

SDL -
I beg to differ with you. He entered this thread under the auspices of a well-meaning naïve poster looking for a viable alternative to the Qualia 006.

However, if you read his posts carefully, it is apparent that he has a predetermined notion that there are viable alternatives to the Qualia 006 that are MUCH CHEAPER as his subsequent posting went from an original inquiring mind to arrogantly making lame excuses for his Qualia cuts simply to evoke controversy perhaps to fulfill some argumentative ego.

As Dilbert or somebody else said a while back. this is of no help or contribution to anyone here and simply proves hurtful to those that have already paid for the display and are now awaiting its delivery.

I have no problems with well intentioned posters that come here and earnestly ask about how we feel about the Qualia 006 compared to other displays. And this has already occurred without even making a wave as several of us have given objective opinions to sincere posters but, THIS GUY HAS ALREADY MADE UP HIS MIND and is simply trying to pick a fight for his own personal agenda.

Thanks for the complement about my posts and I'm glad you enjoyed them.
post #1485 of 17300 Old 02-12-2005, 08:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
kaduku,

I've been using Nikons for 25 years so I have a bunch of lenses. The one I shot the Qualia with was the 24-120/VR. A great lens, and the D70 has been a lot of fun. Never thought digital cameras would get this good this soon; same thing goes for digital projectors!

VR huh!!! very nice. I still have the kit lens, but hopefully soon (like in two weeks) I hope to be sporting a 80/200 AF-S. Okay back to the subject, I don't care what anyone says "I Love My TV" and it was worth every penny that I begged from my wife.

Laterz
post #1486 of 17300 Old 02-12-2005, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't care what anyone says "I Love My TV" and it was worth every penny that I begged from my wife.

Hmmm, honestly I find myself saying the same thing out loud, when nobody else is there, while watching the QUALIA 006

Am I delusional or are other owners doing the same thing?
post #1487 of 17300 Old 02-12-2005, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Penton, you've got a good camera don't you. Throw on Eurotrip and "enligten us". If you can shoot some pics of SD as well. We know the HD is awesome.

Actually, it was smashed into pieces falling down the side of Whistler Mountain, so no, I don't currently have a digital camera in the house....only a Nikon N80 and an old FG which I still love.
post #1488 of 17300 Old 02-12-2005, 09:47 PM

Thanks brt3 for the screenshots, they were great, it is really all us non owners have to look forward too, everyone that can, show more screenshots. Thanks
post #1489 of 17300 Old 02-12-2005, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pepco
Thanks brt3 for the screenshots, they were great, it is really all us non owners have to look forward too, everyone that can, show more screenshots. Thanks

With so many requests for screenshots, here are a couple that I originally posted on the old thread of an NFL playoff game:

NFL

NFL 1

Enjoy!
post #1490 of 17300 Old 02-12-2005, 10:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 319
post #1491 of 17300 Old 02-12-2005, 11:28 PM

Penton is right. Some people seem to be in here just to pick an ill advised fight. I'm done listening to their speculative drivel since they have shown themselves to be a grumpy old buggers with a $13,000 chip on their shoulders.

One person in particular has definitly exceeded his allotted 15 minutes of fame.............
post #1492 of 17300 Old 02-12-2005, 11:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Penton is right. Some people seem to be in here just to pick an ill advised fight. I'm done listening to their speculative drivel since they have shown themselves to be a grumpy old buggers with a $13,000 chip on their shoulders.

One person in particular has definitly exceeded his allotted 15 minutes of fame.............

Oh no!, you might have woke him up! Anyway, that's why I don't have a picture of myself as avatar!!! So just in case I piss off somebody, they can't make fun of my appearance.

BTW, anyone know if the Grammy's shown on HD?

Laterz
post #1493 of 17300 Old 02-12-2005, 11:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Screenshots from tonight's repeat of CSI:NY
LL
post #1494 of 17300 Old 02-12-2005, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

And another
LL
post #1495 of 17300 Old 02-12-2005, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

One more
LL
post #1496 of 17300 Old 02-12-2005, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
BTW, anyone know if the Grammy's shown on HD?

HD & Dolby Digital 5.1 on the QUALIA 006!!!
post #1497 of 17300 Old 02-12-2005, 11:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jb007
HD & Dolby Digital 5.1 on the QUALIA 006!!!

Thanks JB, can't wait to see Alicia Keys in HD on the Qualia. Sinese looks pretty good too! I did mean the PQ, not the man.

Laterz
post #1498 of 17300 Old 02-13-2005, 12:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks JB, can't wait to see Alicia Keys in HD on the Qualia. Sinese looks pretty good too! I did mean the PQ, not the man.

I saw your first post . . . guess that's what the edit button is there for
post #1499 of 17300 Old 02-13-2005, 12:04 AM

jb007.......

Would you quit taking real pictures of NY out of your window and post some pics from the Qualia......................................
post #1500 of 17300 Old 02-13-2005, 03:21 AM
Advanced Member

JB007 and BRT3 -

Your screen shots are GREAT!!! and will do more to silence any critics of this marvelous set (those who haven't seen it in person in a home environment) than our words could ever do. THANKS.

JB007 - I suggest you post a link to your CSI and NFL pics on the first post - they are THAT GOOD - show the blackness of blacks, the level of detail, the outstanding skin tones etc. etc.

Question for the photographers among us:

I have an Olympus 8080 (8 megapixel), but am definitely an amateur - when I try to take screenshots at night in a dark room with only a bias light on behind the set, I can't use the flash cause it causes a reflection on the screen. If I try to take a picture without a flash, I get blurry images no matter how hard I try to hold the camera still (camera is increasing the exposure time), so how do you get great screenshots in a dark room? Tripod? I assume I should take the photos at High quality resolution (way above 1920 x 1080) and then downrez in something like Photoshop Elements to 640 x 480?
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Sony

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page