Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

Old 02-06-2012, 08:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think I have come to the conclusion that my 929 (with its won't go red pixel) is just going to be a hold me off item. The 65 inches just doesn't feel big enough, and the picture while interesting still doesn't have the power the Q had. The idea of wearing glasses for 3d is quaint and will become a thing of the past soon enough I imagine. 80" or larger is my goal for my next tv and glasses free 3d that really packs an oomph. The 3d with glasses isn't bad, but it seems I can't use whatever settings I wish in order to get the right effect in 3d which takes things down a few notches. I have heard reports of sony being reluctant to replace one with 6+ bad pixels so perfection isn't in the cards from them and I will just have to sigh and move forward until technology offers me a better solution.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2012, 10:51 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted99 View Post

Brian--I'm interested in any crosstalk problem with the DTV 3D and the Elite. It's so bad on everything except ESPN 3D on the LX Sony sent me that it's unwatchable. I don't know if it's a DTV or Sony problem. Your feedback will be instructive.

Aright, so this afternoon I got my 3D channels kicking from DirecTV through the HR21Pro sat receiver/DVR and straight into the Elite via HDMI. I watched for about 2 hours, including 3dnet, in3D, and ESPN3D. They look great, 3D had no flaws whatsoever. No crosstalk at all, very very good - though I will say that DirecTV 3D is not as enthralling as an actual 3D Bluray on the Elite. That said, it was pretty amazing watching a boxing match in 3D on ESPN and then some football. Very cool stuff. There was a guitar lessons session with some band on one of the channels and the guitar felt like it was in the room...pretty incredible. No technical issues there at all.

That said, I have decided that 3D TV channels are not really my cup of tea. Having to wear the glasses, etc. while just "surfing" the channels is not my idea of fun. Somehow it's different when you're sitting down to watch a 2 hour bluray, where the 3D can be completely enjoyable. But the technology certainly works, and there are no flaws in the case of the Elite with it at all, looks great the whole time. But because I had been dying for a real Tivo DVR with my satellite service for years, I purchased the new THR-22 Tivo for DirecTV and just got it up and running tonight. All is well, love having Tivo interface back, the wife is definitely happy that the old DTV DVR is gone. The only downside of the THR-22 for us is that it doesn't support the 3D channels from DTV. I'd like to have those, but after tonight's little experiment with the cutting edge of 3D TV channel delivery, I can honestly say I won't really miss it at all. I'm glad I saw it while I still had my HR21Pro, but I'm content with having moved on now, and can still enjoy 3D Bluray's anytime from my Oppo.

Tomorrow morning, I fire Comcast for good! Ending the long pain with them and putting all my marbles on DirecTV here. The new THR-22 Tivo and the DTV Premier package is all we need!

Cheers,
-Brian
Old 02-07-2012, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesirjay View Post

I think I have come to the conclusion that my 929 (with its won't go red pixel) is just going to be a hold me off item. The 65 inches just doesn't feel big enough, and the picture while interesting still doesn't have the power the Q had. The idea of wearing glasses for 3d is quaint and will become a thing of the past soon enough I imagine. 80" or larger is my goal for my next tv and glasses free 3d that really packs an oomph. The 3d with glasses isn't bad, but it seems I can't use whatever settings I wish in order to get the right effect in 3d which takes things down a few notches. I have heard reports of sony being reluctant to replace one with 6+ bad pixels so perfection isn't in the cards from them and I will just have to sigh and move forward until technology offers me a better solution.

why not look to exchange it on the basis of banding, DSE, etc. as best i can tell, if you put up the right test screen you can bring out the seemingly worst.

i haven't displayed R G B screens to see if i have any dead pixels but i haven't noticed anything as of yet. it would probably annoy me though, more than the banding/DSE.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesirjay View Post

Have you searched on Google ? There are several people who state a slight tap on the red pixel sometimes turns them back on.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManWithAPlan View Post

Tomorrow morning, I fire Comcast for good! Ending the long pain with them and putting all my marbles on DirecTV here. The new THR-22 Tivo and the DTV Premier package is all we need!

Cheers,
-Brian

Brian

I know it is OT for this forum but can you compare the Comcast picture Quality to Direct TV. I was always under the assumption the Comcast signal was better.

And, after you fire Comcast what are you going to use for your internet service ?

Stew
Old 02-07-2012, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestewman View Post

Brian

I know it is OT for this forum but can you compare the Comcast picture Quality to Direct TV. I was always under the assumption the Comcast signal was better.

And, after you fire Comcast what are you going to use for your internet service ?

Stew

We had both, until DTV got the Tennis channel. Comcast was inferior in Houston (cable, not FIOS).
Old 02-07-2012, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Brian

Stew

Stew, no question about it after some very in-depth comparisons (we had DTV and Comcast simultaneously for 8 years). Here is the order of picture quality from the top down by quality:

1. HD OTA - broadcast HD is the best quality I've ever seen. Reason being? No compression of the signal at all - I use an OTA antenna hooked up to my old Series3 Tivo and I get about 22 channels of incredible quality HD, including of course all the locals plus numerous PBS stations from MA and NH, etc. Great stuff and the price is right, FREE!!! [by the way, this is not for our main viewing at all, it's just a backup plan in case someone in another zone in the house wants to watch one thing while others watch another. We only have a single receiver and single rack for all A/V equipment, and then only LCD monitors in each relevant zone. We like a 'centralized' approach to whole-house A/V. Keeps the footprint smaller overall and sometimes minimal is better IMHO.

2. DirecTV - no doubt the best picture quality after the over-the-air broadcasts. I use a 3LNB Slimline dish and it's fantastic (don't let people tell you you need a 5LNB, you don't; 5LNB is only for Chinese and Spanish packages, and actually numerous sources within DirecTV have told me that the 3LNB Slimlines help to get you the best picture quality possible with DTV; so far that's what I've seen; 5LNB actually makes it harder to get good reception off of the 3 important satellites).

3. Comcast xFinity Cable - lousy HD, the compression is horrible on it. One comparison with DirecTV and you immediately see the difference. Also, I notice better surround audio actually with DirecTV than with Comcast. My suspicion is that they are compressing the hell out of the signal to fit more and more on the pipe, affecting both video and audio quality. In addition, I've had channels just disappear on me, I've had them play games with my Cablecard usage into the Tivo, and the straw that broke the camel's back has been the recent service failures in my area...literally most if not all channels becoming totally pixelated and unable to watch anything. When you're paying 140 bucks/month for their highest level package, you don't have to wonder why I fired them this morning. And boy did it feel good!!! I'm off to the next town over to return my 3 cablecards, and ride off into the sunset with DirecTV! HA! Nahh, they all suck is the thing - DirecTV just sucks less! Much less!

Cheers guys,
Brian
Old 02-07-2012, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

I'll just add that if you have FIOS available in your area, YMMV, as Ted implies.

In my area, FIOS has excellent PQ, definitely better than my cable provider.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManWithAPlan View Post

Brian

And for internet service after telling Comcast Adios ?
Old 02-07-2012, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

And for internet service after telling Comcast Adios ?

I work from home (when I'm not flying around the country), and my company pays for Comcast Business Internet and Business line. This is not a residential class of service, and therefore never bundled with one's residential TV service.

Just an aside - I will say that the Business Internet Class of Service is very very good, and the attention that the local rep pays to business accounts is the best I've ever seen.

-Brian
Old 02-08-2012, 07:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDover View Post

why not look to exchange it on the basis of banding, DSE, etc. as best i can tell, if you put up the right test screen you can bring out the seemingly worst.

i haven't displayed R G B screens to see if i have any dead pixels but i haven't noticed anything as of yet. it would probably annoy me though, more than the banding/DSE.

It is a thought - diving into the waters with them is not something I would look forward to, but perhaps I should consider it.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:04 AM

Nice to have some discussion on the thread.

In my area, Directv is a better picture than Brighthouse cable, and way better sound quality. As suggested, compression is the key here.

I've been living with my Q and the 929 long enough to see some differences. The 929 has no dead pixels, and the backlight screen uniformity is excellent, which has been a deal killer for me with all of the edgelit sets. The 929 has superior contrast and shadow detail, but it still has a different overall look.

I would not even say this in a forum thread other than ours, but to these middle-aged eyes, the Q has a more "analog" look and the 929 a more "digital" look. As an old audio guy, it reminds me of the perceived differences between tube and solid state, vinyl vs CD, natural as opposed to artificially processed. Maybe some of you can qualify it better than this, but you get my point. I felt the same about a good plasma for the brief time it was in my house; I just didn't want a plasma display for some downside reasons.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:02 AM

Liked: 11
I also have both the Q and a 929, and I agree that there is something about the Q's picture that is hard to describe, but to me the best word is "natural." The blacks in the 929 are certainly darker--today, the Q would not compete at all based on dark levels. Still, looking at the Q you just see this softness to the picture, not at all blurry or less sharp, but simply like you are looking at something in the real world instead of a screen. The 929 picture is beautiful and stunning, but it is so obvious that it is a video screen being thrown at you. In the Qualia, I get the sensation that I am passively looking at a realistic image. It is sad that the SXRD technology ended up being a dead end -- just image a 2012 SXRD with better blacks and an optical block that lasted a long time.

I also had a Panasonic plasma for a while, and still not the natural, passive look that I am trying to describe on the Q.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

i agree with both of you...that is exactly how i would describe the difference. with really good source material (e.g., good blu-ray transfers), the 929 excels in clarity and "realism" but with lesser source material, e.g., cable, the "natural" picture of the Q seems to be preferable.

Now that i've had some time viewing different sources, i definitely like the 929 and it will eventually replace the Q, unless i can convince my wife to put the 929 in our den, move the 50 in plasma to our summer place and get an 80 incher to replace the Q
Old 02-29-2012, 12:18 PM

I'm stuck deciding between the 929 or waiting to upgrade to one of the new Sharp Quattron 80'' or Samsung ES8000 75'' sets...

Has anyone here had luck selling there 929? If so, where did you sell it?

Also, if anyone is looking to get rid of their Q006 stand, send me a PM, I may be interested!
Old 03-06-2012, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Alright fellow Qualians (those of us still left ) I am going to be purchasing a new television in October. I will be sitting ~ 10 feet from screen.

Looking at Sharp...Elite Pro-70X5fd v. Quattron LC-80LE632U. I've read great reviews about the 70" Elite Pro, but it is costly. Is bigger better with the 80" Quattron?

I'd appreciate reviews/comments from owners/viewers that have seen both sets.

Thanks!
Old 03-06-2012, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb007 View Post

Alright fellow Qualians (those of us still left ) I am going to be purchasing a new television in October. I will be sitting ~ 10 feet from screen.

Looking at Sharp...Elite Pro-70X5fd v. Quattron LC-80LE632U. I've read great reviews about the 70" Elite Pro, but it is costly. Is bigger better with the 80" Quattron?

I'd appreciate reviews/comments from owners/viewers that have seen both sets.

Thanks!

I am being very patient though i want a new set to replace the Qualia very badly.

I suggest you might do the same for a while.
There are several newer Sharps coming tom market and I think the Sharps have the best picture quality currently.
There are several 945 models coming which are supposed to have most of the Elite quality at a lessor cost.
A higher quality 844 model at 80 inches
And very possibly a 90 inch model
So it might be good to wait.
Stew
Old 03-06-2012, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am being very patient though i want a new set to replace the Qualia very badly.

I suggest you might do the same for a while.
There are several newer Sharps coming tom market and I think the Sharps have the best picture quality currently.
There are several 945 models coming which are supposed to have most of the Elite quality at a lessor cost.
Stew

i believe the higher cost models include the local dimming feature...that seems to really command a premium in the led backlit sets. i think i personally would be leaning towards upgrading in size to the 80 in unless there was really that big of a difference in everyday real world viewing for myself.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

i believe the higher cost models include the local dimming feature...that seems to really command a premium in the led backlit sets. i think i personally would be leaning towards upgrading in size to the 80 in unless there was really that big of a difference in everyday real world viewing for myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestewman

Stew

The new 945 models may include local dimming
Unknown yet what the 80 and 90 inch models will include.
Interestingly, owners of the 632 model 80 inch have almost no complaints.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

The 945 in 80" seems to be the best value to me, and I was waiting for COSTCO to carry them, to get the 2 yr warranty and $99 extended warranty they offer. However, the prospect of a 90" is tantalizing. If they do a 90, it should further depress the price of the 80--which is the optimum size for my TV viewing spot. Any bigger and I think I'd need a 4K set from my viewing distance. Frankly, I see 2K vs. 4K as pretty much the difference between 1080i vs. 1080p--better, but not as big a difference as going from SDTV to HDTV. I'll reconsider for my FP setup when 4K source material is available in BR. Costco is carrying last year's 80, right now. I noticed that my Frys no longer has any RPTV on the floor, except for a game unit demo at the front of the store. Is this a portent? Even though I see no benefit to "thin" over RPTV, I do see a big difference in the watchability of TV programs of direct-view vs RPTV.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:52 PM

I decided to keep my replacement 65HX929, and I must say...I'm very glad that I did. It looked bad out of the box, but after applying some settings that I got from other set owners in the 929 thread here, it looks just as good (and sometimes, even better) to me as the Q006 did in its prime. The black levels are ridiculous; black is literally "off". It creates a pretty dramatic effect when some text is displayed on the screen with a black background, as the text is the only thing lit up.

I was also pleasantly surprised with the size difference. It doesn't really seem that much smaller.

Anyways, although I still wish none of these optical block issues had ever happened, I am thankful to Sony for sending me this set. I am very happy with it.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:44 PM

Hey everyone! Anyone know how to horizontally adjust the Qualia picture via the service menu? I have the service manual, and they mention a specific code for horizontal and vertical adjustment, but I cannot find that code when stepping through the service menu.

Anyone know how to do this?

Thanks!
David
Old 03-20-2012, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfokos View Post

Hey everyone! Anyone know how to horizontally adjust the Qualia picture via the service menu? I have the service manual, and they mention a specific code for horizontal and vertical adjustment, but I cannot find that code when stepping through the service menu.

Anyone know how to do this?

Thanks!
David

i don't know but you may want to PM avsforum user "umr" and see if he might answer your question. he is a professional calibrator but perhaps he would be willing to answer your question.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:01 PM

Quote:

i don't know but you may want to PM avsforum user "umr" and see if he might answer your question. he is a professional calibrator but perhaps he would be willing to answer your question.

Thanks Ben. UMR originally calibrated my set for me.
Old 04-01-2012, 05:07 PM
Advanced Member

April Fools, so many years of looking here on the Q board and I think this is probably the longest between posts we have ever gone.. I miss the Q experience of the past and if they did have a surefire retrofit I would be tempted... sad part is that nothing will really save the Q and now all of us who still have one are watching for blobs (or in my case watching my blob grow) and doing the math on just how much each bulb costs vs the number of months left in the tv. Perhaps it is time to share some new ideas here. I know the new ipad just shows how ridiculous TV companies have become. If you can put that resolution into 9.7 inches what is their excuse for staying at a lousy 1080P all this time? Even the 4k tvs seem insanely tame by comparison. I think we need to raise our sights and stop letting them be so complacent in their profits and miniscule upgrades. Apple come on lets see that 16k 3d tv sooner rather than later.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I'll take that 16K in a 85" version, thank you. Oh yeah - under 8 large please.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member

As it is soon Mother's day - I would like to remember the "Mother of all TVs" back in its heyday - my children still watch the Q (the blob isn't too much for them yet but the end is nigh as they say). It gave many years of enjoyment before being put out to pasture as a backup tv. I only wish it had given even 3 years of worry free life. The endless worries associated with the Q show it was a product before its time and not tested enough. The real shame is that they didn't find a solution for the problem, but instead tried to pass it off as "fixed". I hope I never get to go through that kind of pain again, and given the trend in TV prices spending that much will probably never happen unless they find a new technology to peddle (full 360 immersion view for instance).
Old 05-10-2012, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member

Yes, it cured me of first adopteritis. I'd been burned before, but never for so much money. Glad to see Sir Howard is history--I blame him for Sony's fall from the top of the hardware pinnacle. I will never look at them the same again.
Notice how few new topics, or even posts there are in the Rear Projector forum? Seems to be a portent of the technology's ultimate demise.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:05 PM

If anyone has this issue of no hdmi input you can open the back panel in about 20 minutes and get to the hdmi board, part number 1-865-130-11. I found there were 15 of the 20 fuses blown near the hdmi inputs
Old 05-26-2012, 08:16 PM

Wow, been reading more of this thread and noticed many people are getting the green blob? Last time I checked I think last fall I was at 3000 hours. Can anyone tell me how many hours theirs lasted before they got the green color issue? Is there a way to prevent it? I just opened mine up to replace the hdmi board so probably could go as far as the optical block to do any kind of maintenance or whatever to extend the life of it.

Tags
Sony