QUALIA 006 Owner's Thread - Page 578 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #17311 of 17338 Old 11-30-2014, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkzip View Post
I bought this a few weeks after release and it is still working perfectly. I also have the stand. I'm looking to upgrade to 4K soon and am wondering how much I should list this for on Craigslist. Any thoughts?
I think you have maybe two choices.

If you are not buying the new 4K from a full service brick and mortar store give it away or get someone to haul it away.
They are heavy beasts.

Or have the dealer haul it away.

They have really no value anymore.
Rear projection is dead and the eventual failure of the Q when subjected to consistent normal everyday use
means there is a very short life expectancy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17312 of 17338 Old 11-30-2014, 06:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkzip View Post
I bought this a few weeks after release and it is still working perfectly. I also have the stand. I'm looking to upgrade to 4K soon and am wondering how much I should list this for on Craigslist. Any thoughts?
A 70" TV is still a premium size. If it is working well I'd ask $300. Take some good quality pictures of it showing a good HD picture, and also with it off. Warn about the weight. Make sure you make it clear that it has a screen that is 70" diagonal.
post #17313 of 17338 Old 12-25-2014, 01:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 348
I am in the same boat as a few posters being one of the very few remaining Qualia 006 owners. The PQ is still today stunning, the sound off the hook. No current flat panel has this kind of sound. Every time I put a new "correct" bulb in…not the cheap 1/2 brightness ones, it reminds me of when I 1st got it. Sony put another optical block in it some years back for free. Like most I am noticing the light green blob ever so faintly showing itself, but mostly on all light grey or light blue backgrounds and some B/W content.

I have read that it is one of the 3 chips in the optical block specifically the blue one that fails. All 3 of the chips are supposed to be the same but the "blue filter" cooks the blue chip over time taking on average 3 to 5 years which is typical for 1/2 life of most tv's. This set comes with an anti-theft device, being in that it’s too heavy to steal lol. Get a new flat panel and the worry level skyrockets. 10 grand is a lot of coins for a tv not to mention the stand for the Q.

So I am wondering about options. If anyone has any other ideas? Possibilities that I can think of is below:

1) I buy another tv in 2015 and junk this one.

2) If it is going to be junked then maybe there is another owner that would like one or both of the other 2 functional SXRD chips that are still fine when I junk it, they can just pay me S & H and maybe 20 bucks for my effort of taking it apart to get all 3 chips since I am unsure which is the bad egg. Unless it is apparent when I take humpty dumpty apart, won't know until that stage since I never done it before, but have seen online you tube vids.

3) Another owner and I talk that is going to do #2 above and is willing to send me the 2 or 3 chips since he/she is going to junk it and I will try to figure out how to have the bad blue chip replaced paying for a local labor tv service man in house. Having at least 2 good chips in hand would increase the lifespan up to 8 more years possibly.

4) I give it away.

Anyway if I could get another couple of good chips my Qualia 006 would make me very happy for quite a few more years. If I do junk it I still have a 2nd genuine Phillips OEM bulb that cost nearly 100 bucks that I could give someone if they pay only S & H. Feel free to pvt message me if you concur on any of the aforementioned.

I corresponded with sonylistens@am.sony.com via email mid 2014 when the 4k XBR-79X900B was coming out and they said they would (after numerous emails) sell it to me for 7,999.00 when it retailed for 9,999.00 originally and haul away my old Q for free. But I told them in just a few short months that it would retail for 7,999.00 or less and told them to forget it. Now it is even less than that. Plus reports of quality issues like DSE, banding, clouding etc. on AVS for that set additionally scared me off. So I wait until after the CES show in 2015 since most all 2014 4k sets are of questionalbe quality (panel lottery) and mostly overpriced for what they offer. The upcomming QD from LG & others looks promising. OLED forget it with my budget. Being spoiled with 70" by the Q, I dare not downsize so that further limits my options.

I talked to a electronics tech (http://www.rivervalleyelectronics.net/) that carries some chips but not the qualia ones. He said they also used to rebuild the opital blocks but do not anymore. I asked him what would be his recommendation on a new 4k set for 2015 and he said they are all basically junk and & are hard to repair & even get parts for. He said get any extended warranties offered and wished me luck. Bummed in Illinois...

Oh yeah, Merry Christmas.

Tim

Samsung 78JS9500 Main Living Room / Sony XBR-55X850c Basement
Comcast XG1-A / Definitive Tech BP7001SC front mains - DT CS8060 center - DT SM55 bookshelf rear heights - Monster 200 bookshelf front height's - Infinity rear floor back surrounds - Monitor Audio Silver 8 Series floor side surrounds / Legacy Yamaha RX-Z7 - needs upgraded / PS3 / Qosmio X505-Q898 Windows 10 HTPC / XArmor U9BL-S LED Keyboard / Corsair M65 RGB white mouse

Last edited by timc1475; 12-25-2014 at 02:30 AM.
post #17314 of 17338 Old 12-25-2014, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

^
I bit the bullet a long time ago after Sony paid me $$$ for the defect.
You do not know how bad the Qualia 6 is compared to the new 4k displays. Even if yours was perfect the picture is distorted because of the mirrors and it is dim even with a new quality bulb.
The Q never had good contrast or brightness. It was like a poor front projector TV in a bright room
I researched long ago fixing or replacing the filters. You need a special setup to get the chips aligned correctly. It is a horrendous operation that no one wanted to attempt.

The alternative is how long you want to put up with no blues and a green tinted screen

Buy a new large screen 4k and have the dealer cart the 006 away

Last edited by thestewman; 12-25-2014 at 06:07 PM.
post #17315 of 17338 Old 12-25-2014, 07:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Thanks thestewman all suggestions are appreciated. Sigh.

Samsung 78JS9500 Main Living Room / Sony XBR-55X850c Basement
Comcast XG1-A / Definitive Tech BP7001SC front mains - DT CS8060 center - DT SM55 bookshelf rear heights - Monster 200 bookshelf front height's - Infinity rear floor back surrounds - Monitor Audio Silver 8 Series floor side surrounds / Legacy Yamaha RX-Z7 - needs upgraded / PS3 / Qosmio X505-Q898 Windows 10 HTPC / XArmor U9BL-S LED Keyboard / Corsair M65 RGB white mouse
post #17316 of 17338 Old 12-26-2014, 04:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timc1475 View Post
Thanks thestewman all suggestions are appreciated. Sigh.
It is what it is.

You know the Q006 was shipped to the first users, of which I was one in 2005.
A lot of new technology has been developed and put on the market in the 10 years that have past.
It was the best at the time. To bad there was the design flaw which allowed the heat to destroy the blue filter.
The cost to Sony was $5000 for the optical unit and with the few units sold they soon went to rebuilt units.
They had the equipment to align the optical unit. Others tried using the mechanical's of a stripped down Q006 to temp mount the optical unit and attempt aligning it. Slow and costly.
post #17317 of 17338 Old 12-26-2014, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hey gang, Merry Christmas to all who may frequent here - hope everyone had a great Xmas. Just wanted to check in, say hello, but also wanted to tell you about an interesting Sony product that has managed to get me to stop swearing off all things Sony for a while! As we were all burned a bit by the Q fiasco with green blob, I have been living happily with my Elite 70 inch (Sharp), and loving it. Can't believe they did away with the platform so quickly, but I'm happy to have one of the first ones, and it's going great still, hopefully for many more years!

But the Sony toy that has me appreciating them again, is my brand new Sony HAP-1ZES, the high rez music player that decodes DSD etc. The unit is built like a tank, over 35 lbs, and sounds terrific. The best part about it is the user interface on the Sony app for the iPad and iPhone are the best I've ever used, and I've used a TON of them - PS Audio, Olive, Marantz, etc etc. To me, the user interface is everything with these non-disk spinners, you have feel comfortable using them, and the design of the app has to be attractive with cover art, ease of use, etc. Sony absolutely NAILED it with the apps, and the good news is that the sound quality is stunning. Basically the HAP-Z upconverts everything to DSD, even high rez PCM like FLAC files, etc. The sound thru the XLR outs is stunning. Now, it was great out of the box, but I decided to have it modified by Dan Wright at Modwright, to put a tube front-end on it, as well as their latest PS9 outboard power supply and rectifier tube. WOW! I am not even broken in on these tubes yet, and it sounds stunning. I am appreciating good music again, especially my CD collection in FLAC format, or high rez downloads, or DSD rips, etc. Great stuff! So if any of you Sony fans are looking for a new toy on the music side, I'd recommend having a listen. My new favorite A/V product, period.

Hope everyone is finding their own new toys to enjoy, let us know what's out there, I'm always curious.

Cheers to all!
post #17318 of 17338 Old 12-28-2014, 07:13 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
QUALIA 006 Owner's Thread

My Qualia finally decided that it wants to retire. I'm looking for help ...

the "help me choose an LCD" thread

Any help appreciated...

Last edited by pawrampe; 12-28-2014 at 10:36 AM.
post #17319 of 17338 Old 01-04-2015, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawrampe View Post
My Qualia finally decided that it wants to retire. I'm looking for help ...

the "help me choose an LCD" thread

Any help appreciated...

Wow that is definitely going out with a bang... kind of puts the blob to shame.

FYI the Qualia 006 is listed as one of the sexiest tvs of all time per this list

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/3/748...nt-at-ces-2015

Happy New Year all glad to see life still pumping in this thread!
post #17320 of 17338 Old 01-04-2015, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
TEN YEAR ANNIVERSARY ... On January 7, it will be 10 years to the day that my Q006 was delivered. While it was gifted to a local law school a couple of years ago, I still have fond memories of seeing the set fire up for the first time and the many enjoyable hours of viewing it provided. On a related front, throughout these last 10 years I have enjoyed reading this thread and bonding with fellow Qualians. It had been a joy. I hope it continues. Even if less often than in the early days.

This is really the only thread I follow on AVS, but I am curious ... I'm sure there are other threads on AVS that have gone on longer than 10 years???

Happy New everybody!

jb007
post #17321 of 17338 Old 01-07-2015, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesirjay View Post
Wow that is definitely going out with a bang... kind of puts the blob to shame.

FYI the Qualia 006 is listed as one of the sexiest tvs of all time per this list

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/3/748...nt-at-ces-2015

Happy New Year all glad to see life still pumping in this thread!
Yes, OB failed. Sony offered 20% off any non 4k TV, but I didn't think that was great knowing what I spent on this thing. Let's just say over 1k per year.

I went with a Vizio P70 and I love it. Picture looks better and the input lag in HDMI 5 with Gaming Low Latency set to on is less that 20 ms. Set up properly, no motion issues and no visual blocking at the line of scrimmage. Really, very happy so far. 5 year warranty and cost $2,499. Best of all?

No Bulbs that dim over time!!!!!!!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
post #17322 of 17338 Old 01-14-2015, 11:56 PM

Liked: 10
Ugh. My Qualia is showing the green blob/hue again. Had the optical block replaced a 3 or 4 years ago under warranty. Is there no longer a fix for this? I haven't been using mine much at all and its basically been dormant for a year or two. I can't remember crap for the details on this issue. I remember they extended the warranty or something on it, but I am guessing that has long passed. Did some people get a replacement complete set from Sony under warranty?
post #17323 of 17338 Old 01-15-2015, 05:40 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I am afraid to write this and jinx myself but I was one of the eoriginal purchasers of the Q but still am on my original optical block and to date have never gotten the green blob. There are two factors that may have been the reason for this and while I'm unsure about it, it may be a combination of both.

The first reason is that my set has had relatively low use. I am a snowbird and spend half of the year in NJ (where this set is) and the other half in Florida. Obviously that in itself means less use. To the best of my knowledge I changed the bulb once but it is starting to dim again and I need to change it again.

The other potential reason is an interesting one. Instead of installing the set on a shelf, I needed to place it into a wall unit. I was very afraid of the heat buildup enclosing the set that way so at the time I first installed it, I put a series of external fans right behind the set in the wall unit that go on automatically as soon as the set is turned on and stay on as long as it stays on. These fans are connected to a plastic duct which carries all of the heat away from the set and out of the side of the wall unit.

My suspicion is that the Q was designed with inadequate ventilation and really needed additional external ventilation to prevent the block from overheating. I think that I stumbled into protecting against this and that's a big part of why mine hasn't failed yet.
post #17324 of 17338 Old 02-05-2015, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Well, it's nice to see this thread is still alive after all of these years. I am in the exact same boat as Beefchopper, above. Bought the 006 in the first year it was out, and am still using the original optical block, mine's never failed. Any day now, it will, I figure. Anyway, as far as Beefchopper's theories above, it's gotta be the first one. Mine is out in the open, no special ventilation. So my operating theory is that it's the hours and consistency of use that cause the failure.

Mine can go 2 weeks or more without any use, sometimes even a month. Then, when used, it might be on for 4 to 8 hours. Then, usually, weeks of non-use again. I think that's they key. Low hours, AND when used, it's not turned on day after day.

I know I'm lucky to have gotten this many years out of it. One of my custom-install clients purchased one the same week I did, and his died probably 3 years or more ago. He called Sony and they sent him a (I think) 60" LCD TV for free at the time. He took it, but was not happy. His 006 was used daily, for hours at a time. So I think that's the key.

I love mine, though I know some of the newer, high-quality sets look better, I'm still going to hang onto it until it dies.....which'll probably be within a couple weeks, now that I have posted this on the forum!

I agree with other posters...... I've got to have *at least* a 70", maybe a 75" to replace this one. We just installed a client-purchased Samsung 75" LED/LCD, and it didn't look half bad....so maybe that's a possibility. We shall see.....
post #17325 of 17338 Old 02-27-2015, 04:48 PM
Advanced Member

Good to see a decade later so many familiar names. The Q will be quite a memory for me as will all these conversations. Nothing too amazing in the electronic toys category here. My Q still sees use as a kids tv and right now I am enjoying putting my bose qc25 over my shure 535 ltd so get a huge amount of noise reduction and top notch sound (the qc 25s are a good bit better than the old qc15 in terms of sound and a bit better in noise cancelling but nowhere near what an audiophile would want). I can't wait til they start coming to market with some very good VR setups -- those 140 inch tvs will not be able to compete with total immersion I hope and they won't have a 6 figure price tag. Hmm I will say the new xps 13 laptop is nicer than the mac airs but my wife primarily uses it I find 13 inches just a bit too small regardless of how amazing the picture is. Touchscreen on a laptop has also never been a favorite of mine but I guess that is what the windows menu is meant for.
post #17326 of 17338 Old 05-13-2015, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

It's been about three months since the last post on this thread. It appears that after 10 years it is really winding down.

I still miss the Q006, but life goes on. I am a recent early adopter of the Tesla P85D and loving every minute of it. May Tesla last as a brand infinitely longer than Qualia
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0832.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	240.3 KB
ID:	714010  
post #17327 of 17338 Old 05-13-2015, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb007 View Post
]It's been about three months since the last post on this thread. It appears that after 10 years it is really winding down.

I still miss the Q006, but life goes on. I am a recent early adopter of the Tesla P85D and loving every minute of it. May Tesla last as a brand infinitely longer than Qualia
I'm definitely jealous. I just could not justify and afford the Tesla.Already have an Escalade that I hardly drive since buying a Ford Fusion Energi plugin. No where near as nice as the Tesla.
Though I am a believer in Tesla and Elon Musk and bought stock in Tesla. Now if only Solar City would expand north I would go for a solar system and the Tesla Powerwall.
I see you opted for the dual motor performance model, Breathtaking acceleration
post #17328 of 17338 Old 05-13-2015, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Nice to reconnect with you Stewman. Most of us couldn't justify $13,000 for a TV set back in 2005, but we did it anyway

I have solar (not thru Solar City though) and it produces enough energy to charge the Tesla. Thinking the PowerWall won't do much for my set-up.

Long live the Q!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestewman View Post
I'm definitely jealous. I just could not justify and afford the Tesla.Already have an Escalade that I hardly drive since buying a Ford Fusion Energi plugin. No where near as nice as the Tesla.
Though I am a believer in Tesla and Elon Musk and bought stock in Tesla. Now if only Solar City would expand north I would go for a solar system and the Tesla Powerwall.
I see you opted for the dual motor performance model, Breathtaking acceleration
post #17329 of 17338 Old 05-14-2015, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Stew and jb007,

I stay subscribed and miss posts on this thread too!

Stew and I have communicated over the years about Qualia, Anthem D2, Barbados and Star Clipper tall ship sailing over the years, all mutual passions we share.

Stew, I've always enjoyed reading your posts here and elsewhere.

My Qualia 006, purchased Jan 2006 is still running without the "blob" after having a new block installed 3 years ago. But, I keep my fingers crossed every time I turn it on. Just put a new bulb in last week.

Always curious what enthusiasts like you think is/will be SOTA UHDTV over 80" now and in 2016.
Opinion?

My best,
Chris
post #17330 of 17338 Old 05-14-2015, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I've seen some really cool stuff lately, that is appealing. But with a 70" Elite and 100" screen w/Sony ES projector, I am going to wait just a bit longer. I think newer technologies at better prices are right around the corner.
post #17331 of 17338 Old 07-07-2015, 01:17 AM

My 006 is still running strong. Using is atleast a few hours a day for over 6 years and still good as new. Today I just got a scare, the picture went black and had a blinking green light. First thing I check was the bulb and sure enough, the bottom looks like it has the glass expanded. Put my extra one in and no issue's. This bulb lasted 4 years, a good run! Hope this TV keeps running strong, still love it!

I have been searching this forum on how to get into the technicians menu, using the remote key coding. I used to remember but forgot. Does anyone know the button code? Trying to see how many hours I have put on the tv.

post #17332 of 17338 Old 07-07-2015, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by trad209 View Post
My 006 is still running strong. Using is atleast a few hours a day for over 6 years and still good as new. Today I just got a scare, the picture went black and had a blinking green light. First thing I check was the bulb and sure enough, the bottom looks like it has the glass expanded. Put my extra one in and no issue's. This bulb lasted 4 years, a good run! Hope this TV keeps running strong, still love it!

I have been searching this forum on how to get into the technicians menu, using the remote key coding. I used to remember but forgot. Does anyone know the button code? Trying to see how many hours I have put on the tv.

Official Sony Protocol for accessing the Number of Lamp Timer Hours

The Qualia 006 is in the OFF mode
Using the Qualia remote control
Press Display once
Press the Number 5 once
Press Volume Up once
Press Power
Press Jump Three times
(Be careful here because this can get you into the service menu and in trouble)

The Qualia will power up and display DIM SER in the center of the screen
Then press the Number 2 twelve times
Lamp Timer should appear below DIM SER with the
number of hours following it to the right
Turn the Qualia off to exit

Official Sony Protocol for resetting the Lamp Timer

Continue From the above
Press the Number 1
The menu display should now be at Lamp Timer Reset
Push the Number 3
Press Mute
Press Enter
The menu should display Write - EX in red at the top
Turn the Qualia off to exit
If at any time you feel you are in trouble or where you should not be
Turn the Qualia OFF
If you need assistance call the Qualia 800 number in the manual.
The Sony Qualia people are happy to assist or walk you through the procedure.
post #17333 of 17338 Old 07-08-2015, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trad209 View Post

WOW...4 years for a single bulb! Incredible! In what sort of climate are you located? Each of my projector bulbs burned out after 11 months...like clockwork. Phoenix area, so it's really dry most of the year. Indoor temps on the higher side (78-82 during the majority of the year...too damn expensive to cool to a lower temp) compared to some areas, but not ridiculous. I often wonder if the general dust in the air here (exacerbated by the lack of humidity) contributed to my Q's downfall as it clogs up air filters (including simple screens like on the bulbs) fairly quickly. Do you do any special cleaning on the Q?
post #17334 of 17338 Old 08-26-2015, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member

Great to see Qualians helping Qualians even after so long. I am really looking forward to how people view the Oculus Rift and other 3d headsets. I know their resolution isn't amazing yet but it would be great if that was a solution to a truly great personal theater.
post #17335 of 17338 Old 08-28-2015, 07:20 PM

Liked: 0
does anyone have qualia chips they can sell me???
post #17336 of 17338 Old 08-28-2015, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpujols View Post
does anyone have qualia chips they can sell me???
I believe you are asking about the color filters ?
The filters were never avaiiable separately for the Qualia 6 only as part of the optical block. No company or service organization was able to replicate the color chips of the Qualia 6 as they were for the other Sony SXRD displays. So the optical block was never a repairable item. There were a few individuals who exchanged some chips from another defective nonfunctioning display. The alignmnent is very hard to accomplish without the alignment set up grid

Here is some information. Unknown if any is current or up tpdate as the Qualia 6 is 11 years old

https://sites.google.com/site/sonylc...ockreplacement
post #17337 of 17338 Old 08-29-2015, 06:44 AM

Liked: 0
yeah i relized that they are hard to come by. thats why im asking on here if there is anyone with a defective block that they would be willing to send me the green or red lcos. thanks
post #17338 of 17338 Old 09-01-2015, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Smile

thestewman, thanks for continuing to monitor this ancient thread and provide helpful answers to those that post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Sony