QUALIA 006 Owner's Thread - Page 579 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #17341 of 17359 Old 10-20-2015, 04:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by trad209 View Post
A few years ago they offering 60 led tv's if you ship your 006 back to them. Are they still doing anything like this? My 006 is still running strong at about 5000 hours but might want to get rid of it for a flat screen.
I'm still using my 006 and am close to retiring it too. I think once you've had it for a decade to the chances they'd give you something for it seems AWFULLY, AWFULLY unlikely. Personally, I wouldn't even ask. For whatever reason I was lucky enough to have it all this time without needing a repair.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17342 of 17359 Old 10-20-2015, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I believe the "retirement program" was run for a specific period of time about 3-4 years ago. The requirements were that you sent in a photo of your 006 screen displaying the issue; the sticker conatining the serial number off the rear of the unit; and around $350. Sony would then send you a replacement 65" TV. You were responsible for disposal of the 006, if that's what you chose to do.

The 65" replacement is a nice unit and still hangs on the wall in our bedroom. I gifted the 006 to a local school.

As others have stated, although I don't recall a cut-off date, it is doubtful Sony will provide you with the same exchange at this point in time. Good luck.
post #17343 of 17359 Old 10-28-2015, 07:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My old Q still sits proudly in the living room, the kids are pretty much exclusively using the replacement 65 inch. I will have to fire it up soon just to keep the old girl alive (the green blob isn't that bad especially with bright material). I do think it is pretty awesome that some sets have survived without issue so very long. I look at curved and 4k and think to myself hmm maybe 8k but what I really want is personal 3d glasses like the Oculus Rift. The idea of 100% of my field of view taken up with content does appeal and no matter how big you make the screen there are always going to be limits (except perhaps with a sphere).
post #17344 of 17359 Old 10-29-2015, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm glad to say that my Q ( on it's 2nd engine) is still going strong with no blob almost 10 years later.

Knock on wood!

My Q replaced a 57" Toshiba LCOS, which I had for 3+ years before it failed and to Toshiba's undying credit, they refunded 100% of purchase price (about $6,800) plus they picked it up and toted it away.

Got the SONY 65" replacement for the Q a few years back and sold it for cash.

Very satisfied with the net ROI.

So what are opinions re: the best large 75"+ screen out there today?
post #17345 of 17359 Old 10-29-2015, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by cargen View Post
I'm glad to say that my Q ( on it's 2nd engine) is still going strong with no blob almost 10 years later.

Knock on wood!

My Q replaced a 57" Toshiba LCOS, which I had for 3+ years before it failed and to Toshiba's undying credit, they refunded 100% of purchase price (about $6,800) plus they picked it up and toted it away.

Great to see the original old crew is still monitoring the forum. Sorry to say i do not agree with your current viewpoints and outlook of the 006.
When it arrived on the market, yes it was an outstanding model with a great QP for the time. 1080p was just developing and BD discs were just arriving.
But that was 2005. In the ten years since the equipment have made immense quantitative leaps in PQ and features.
Long gone are the fuzzy pictures and the inadequate processing power to upscale or improve the video being processed.
No need anymore to sit directly in the center so that you are not subject to screen dimming from a side angle, And room lighting does not effect the screen brightness anymore. The difference between 1080p HD and 2160p UHD is at times astounding. I find nothing better than sitting 5 feet in front of my 84" Sony and watching whatever is on the screen without seeing the pixels, lines etc. The detail is hard to image being possible. And the sources of 4K uhd, and appilcations for streaming 4k are becoming more numerous.
We were all innovators at the time of the new Sony technology and it is time to move on guys and enjoy the new exciting nnovations coming to market
post #17346 of 17359 Old 10-29-2015, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by cargen View Post

Knock on wood!

Great to see the original old crew is still monitoring the forum. Sorry to say I do not agree with your current viewpoints and outlook of the 006.
When it arrived on the market, yes it was an outstanding model with a great QP for the time. 1080p was just developing and BD discs were just arriving.
But that was 2005. In the ten years since the equipment have made immense quantitative leaps in PQ and features.
Long gone are the fuzzy pictures and the inadequate processing power to upscale or improve the video being processed.
No need anymore to sit directly in the center so that you are not subject to screen dimming from a side angle, And room lighting does not effect the screen brightness anymore. The difference between 1080p HD and 2160p UHD is at times astounding. I find nothing better than sitting 5 feet in front of my 84" Sony and watching whatever is on the screen without seeing the pixels, lines etc. The detail is hard to imagine being possible. The sources built in to those new displays of 4K uhd, and the appilcations for streaming 4k are becoming more numerous.
We were all innovators at the time of the new Sony technology and it is time to move on guys and enjoy the new exciting inovations coming to market.

The best new sets currently are 4K UHD full screen dimming LCD or OLED.
If you decide to consider a new set make sure it has HDMI 2.0a, HDCP 2.2 and HDR. Look for multiple HDMI 2.0a inputs capable of 4K/60 UHD and HDCP 2.2 inputs. They are important or you will need an extra 4K HDMI switch with all the HDCP, HDR features to accommodate multiple external sources.
cargen likes this.

Last edited by thestewman; 10-29-2015 at 12:12 PM.
post #17347 of 17359 Old 10-29-2015, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestewman View Post
Great to see the original old crew is still monitoring the forum. Sorry to say I do not agree with your current viewpoints and outlook of the 006.
No need anymore to sit directly in the center so that you are not subject to screen dimming from a side angle, And room lighting does not effect the screen brightness anymore. The difference between 1080p HD and 2160p UHD is at times astounding. I find nothing better than sitting 5 feet in front of my 84" Sony and watching whatever is on the screen without seeing the pixels, lines etc. The detail is hard to imagine being possible. The sources built in to those new displays of 4K uhd, and the appilcations for streaming 4k are becoming more numerous.
We were all innovators at the time of the new Sony technology and it is time to move on guys and enjoy the new exciting inovations coming to market.

The best new sets currently are 4K UHD full screen dimming LCD or OLED.
If you decide to consider a new set make sure it has HDMI 2.0a, HDCP 2.2 and HDR. Look for multiple HDMI 2.0a inputs capable of 4K/60 UHD and HDCP 2.2 inputs. They are important or you will need an extra 4K HDMI switch with all the HDCP, HDR features to accommodate multiple external sources.
Thanks Stew!

I guess it helps my circumstances that my room and speaker setup and room size/configuration are such that I am unable to sit closer than about 13' feet from any panel. Thus my 67 year old eyes don't see any pixels or lines etc.

I'm sort of hoping that OLED becomes available in a huge size within the next year or so.

Do you still have your Sony 84" UHD and if so are you still loving' it?

(i've got my Star Clipper catalog out today, trying to figure out the next sail!)

My very best,

Chris
post #17348 of 17359 Old 11-26-2015, 06:35 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Happy Thanksgiving to all!!
Still missing the feeling I had watching the Q for the first time. It was like a dream come true!

Enjoying my 79" 900B and the 60" Sony replacement still sits in the playroom getting little use, but that's ok.

As usual, I am planning on eating too much today but hey, I'm worth it!

Great to see some of the old gang still around. I check in every month or so.
Hope everyone is well.
Tonight -watch a good movie with your favorite glass of wine or spirit of choice!
Ron
post #17349 of 17359 Old 12-02-2015, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just checking in with the forum. It's nice to see it's still active; I'm one of the lifers here from the beginning. When my Q developed the "green blob/haze" Sony gave me a 65" XBR for a fee of $350, most likely the same deal mentioned above. The replacement TV had a bad red pixel right in the sweet spot and I couldn't get past it, so Sony gave me another TV. While this one wasn't perfect either, it's OK and I was grateful to get anything. I replaced the Q with a 92" Mits, the last of the rear-projection era and it's been fine. It's not the last word in picture quality, but I got a great deal on it. It'll hold me until I get a big 4K panel or a FP. I'm waiting for the HDR feature to mature into the next generation sets. Happy holidays to all!
post #17350 of 17359 Old 12-13-2015, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Arrow Happy 11th Anniversary!!

Dear Fellow Qualians (or what's left of us) -

Wishing the few of you that are left Happy Holidays, health and prosperity in the New Year.

Hard to believe it was 11 years ago this month that I placed the order for my Q006 (retired, as a gift to a local law school about 3 years ago). I still remember the amazing picture when I first fired it up in early January 2005. There was a richness and depth I had never experienced before.

Today's sets are lighter, thinner and have great pictures, but I still miss the awe of the Q006.

I know there are still some in use, primarily as second sets, but it is wonderful the brand still lives on amongst us despite Sony being unable to regain the throne, even with advances like 4k.

This thread has somehow outlived not only the Qualia brand, but most other threads on AVS. That's because of the the helpful, intelligent and genuine people that have contributed over the past decade.

Wishing you all a Happy New Year -

jb007

Last edited by jb007; 12-15-2015 at 08:52 AM.
post #17351 of 17359 Old 12-14-2015, 08:47 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb007 View Post
Dear Fellow Qualians (or what's left of us) -

Wishing the few of you Happy Holidays, health and prosperity in the New Year.

Hard to believe it was 11 years ago this month that I placed the order for my Q006 (retired, as a gift to a local law school about 3 years ago). I still remember the amazing picture when I first fired it up in early January 2005. There was a richness and depth I had never experienced before.

Today's sets are lighter, thinner and have great pictures, but I still miss the awe of the Q006.

I know there are still some in use, primarily as second sets, but it is wonderful the brand still lives on amongst us despite Sony being unable to regain the throne, even with advances like 4k.

This thread has somehow outlived not only the Qualia brand, but most other threads on AVS. That's because of the the helpful, intelligent and genuine people that have contributed over the past decade.

Wishing you all a Happy New Year -

jb007
And the same to you!!
post #17352 of 17359 Old 12-15-2015, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'll second that!! I've always believed our thread was different, if only because most of us are, well, shall we say, more "seasoned" that the average Internet forum user. At its core, the Q thread has almost always been respectful and tolerant, and when the occasional troll did stop by, he (or she) soon realized that none of us would take the bait and engage for very long. I hope we keep the thread going; clearly, we are all A/V enthusiasts, likely to stay that way, and there'll be no lack of new and different takes on technologies to discuss. Cheers!
post #17353 of 17359 Old 12-17-2015, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hello ALL:

Happy Holidays for another year!

My old Q went to a friend who is still watching it for Football. Take care everyone.

Dave
post #17354 of 17359 Old 12-17-2015, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hello ALL:

Happy Holidays for another year!

My old Q went to a friend who is still watching it for Football. Take care everyone.

Dave
post #17355 of 17359 Old 12-18-2015, 08:30 PM

Watching the Q for the first time was very special. Being on this thread, sharing our impressions with others, made the experience so much better.
It's like we were members of a secret club...of giddy school girls. Our new toy wasn't cheap but made us feel years younger.

Have a great Xmas and New Year all!!!

Ron
post #17356 of 17359 Old 12-22-2015, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonB63 View Post
Watching the Q for the first time was very special. Being on this thread, sharing our impressions with others, made the experience so much better.

It's like we were members of a secret club...of giddy school girls. Our new toy wasn't cheap but made us feel years younger.

Have a great Xmas and New Year all!!!

Ron
I agree Ron, thanks.

Wanted to wish all the Qualia owners a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year as well! I miss coming here everyday (or several times a day) and checking out what was going on. Great thread and always enjoyed the kind replies and posts.

My Q has been gone since 2010, but I was recently in touch with the new owner and he informed me that it is still alive and well serving a frat house at Cal Poly SLO.

Chas

C-Dub006
XBR75X940C, XBR60LX900, PDP5020FD, 3 other Sony LCD's
Polk, Infinity with Velodyne subs
3808ci, 3805
BDT-101ci, BDP-95FD, BDP-94FD, DV-970HD
HD-XA2
post #17357 of 17359 Old 03-29-2016, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello everyone,

It appears things have slowed quite a bit - um happy 2016 to all . I think I may have finally used up the last of my squirreled away lamps. The Q still sees use quite regularly and I definitely appreciate all the comraderie I have shared with my fellow Qualians. The world of 4k seems to be quite slow and to me the VR world seems like the "next big thing" when it comes to impressive immersive entertainment. Glad to hear some other Q's remain in service I may get to go hunting for lamps again in a year or two .

Jason
post #17358 of 17359 Old 04-02-2016, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Still one of the best threads. Ever.
post #17359 of 17359 Old 04-04-2016, 05:33 AM

I'll wait for VR to mature quite a bit - maybe in 2-3+ years when tons of reviewers are saying "OMG -everyone must own this..."
I'm wondering if I will eventually buy a 4k Blu-ray player. I can't remember the last time I watched a disk. It clearly is better quality of course but I am getting lazy when it comes to having the "best" picture.

For me, today's PQ is pretty darn good. I don't feel as much of an itch to constantly upgrade. It's not the $$, it's simply that I turn on the tv and think "nice picture." Nothing stands out as flawed like most/all of my older sets (except the Q).

It's like cars or fine wine. Once you get up to a certain level, the motivation to find something even better is diminished unless the improvement is perceived as quite significant.

Belated Happy 2016 to all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Sony

taboola here
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page