QUALIA 006 Owner's Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 17304 Old 01-22-2005, 09:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Guys-

I just pulled the trigger. I bought it through my local SONY/Qualia dealer. They say I should have delivery by Feb 15. (10% off). I like dealing with someone local....................................in case there is a problem. I just got the standard 3 year warranty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 17304 Old 01-22-2005, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Originally posted by casey
Hey Guys-

I just pulled the trigger. I bought it through my local SONY/Qualia dealer. They say I should have delivery by Feb 15. (10% off). I like dealing with someone local....................................in case there is a problem. I just got the standard 3 year warranty.

casey,

Welcome to the Qualialution. Now, with that $1,300 savings, how about springing for food and drink at the First Annual 006 Owner's Convention to be held at a time and place TBD
post #183 of 17304 Old 01-22-2005, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I just found this over in the TiVo Community. Logitech/Harmony is offering a 25% mail-in rebate on their remotes purchased between January 20 and March 15, 2005. While it's specifically aimed at TiVo users, anyone can get the rebate. Here's the rebate form.

Some of you may be waiting for the new Harmony 880 (expected release date in April), but this is a really good deal that is being offered, so I just wanted to bring it to your attention.
post #184 of 17304 Old 01-22-2005, 11:12 AM

Thank you for the reply about the Denon 3910 and the stand.

There is a nice stand made by avdeco (P374)
but the top shelf is only rated to 300lbs and I don't know how
much margin really exists. It would be bad to be sliding this
television and have it break through the top glass shelf. Incidentally
it would be a good idea to place teflon cups under the legs of any
stand you buy to reduce friction when you move the unit. These cups
or pads are available from stores that specialize in organization and storage.

There is also a great stand available from JSP that measures 28"x73"x26
but I am afraid that it may be too high at 28". it is the IN'OVATION CREDENZA 070C110 and costs about $2000. Do you think a 28" high stand would be
bad?

I am still very interested in any comments about how the Qualia 006 does
on subtle color reproduction with greens and blues found in ocean water.

Dilbert1
P.S. I was not allowed to post the links for these sites.
post #185 of 17304 Old 01-22-2005, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by mhafner
So if you buy a Qualia you can record all HD channels to D-VHS?
Does it work with a Panasonic D-VHS VCR too? Do some channels not
work?

I'm not sure about all channels. I tried a few channels from the Qualia's ATSC tuner and all recorded to DVHS just fine. I assume that copy protected programs will not record on DVHS properly. But I'm not sure what those programs would be. In my case, most of my DVHS recording will be from my Comcast HD DVR which has Firewire ports which should allow recording of non-copy protected programs to DVHS. I assume that attempting to record a copy protected movie from HBO would fail, but I'm not certain. Currently I'm not subscribing to HBO, just basic HD cable.

I assume that if a Panasonic DVHS machine has Firewire/iLink ports, you can record and playback HD with it. But I don't have experience with the Panasonic machines.
post #186 of 17304 Old 01-22-2005, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Dilbert1
Hello All,

I am planning to pull the trigger on the Qualia 006, perhaps today.
I was planning on also getting a Denon3910 DVD player based on
comparisons I did with other players at the store. The Denon clearly
had a better picture (edge detail was smooth and free of jagged lines).

Is the Denon a good choice or am I throwing away money if it is better
to have the Qualia do the scaling and whatever else?

Dilbert,

If you decide to order the Qualia, you won't be sorry. I smile and shake my head in amazement everytime I turn my set on. You won't see that "flat" look you mentioned regarding DLP. SXRD images have much more depth. You may have seen my earlier posts that I work in televsion production and watch 1080p on studio monitors every day - been there, done that. But the size and image quality of the Qualia 006 has impressed even a jaded old-timer like me!

I'd advise you to think twice about spending big bucks on a standard definition DVD player. In a year or so you'll be done with it because high definition DVD will be here. Regardless of format, those HD players are probably backward compatible and will play your current DVD's just fine. Consider the Sony NS975V or Panasonic S97. Both are fine medium priced players with digital HDMI connections to the Qualia you may soon own. And per Rogo's advice (see quote below) ... don't let the DVD player scale up DVD video to 1920 x 1080. The scaler in the Qualia 006 is better than the ones in most DVD players. I see a big difference in video quality when my Sony player is not scaling. The Qualia contains Sony's newest and more expensive scaling technology and does a fantastic job of it.

Quote:

Originally posted by rogo
(a) People have an irrational love for upconverting DVD players when the key is >>digital output<< not internal scaling.

(b) Most of the upconverting DVD players out today are considered dreadful by videophiles. Check out the DVD Players section to learn all the bugaboos.

post #187 of 17304 Old 01-22-2005, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by jb007
I am a huge fan of the HD TiVO. I've been using one with the Sony 42" plasma upstairs for about one year and replaced a Sony SAT-T60 DirecTV TiVo downstairs when I received the 006. I've added 300GB hard drives to each of them, and am now able to record 70 hours of HD or 270 hours of SD.

I have had HDMI issues with each unit. Basically, the picture output through HDMI was posterized. However, DirecTV sent a brand new replacement unit out via FedEx overnight (no cost to me) both times. Posters in the TiVo community report the problem has been fixed on the new batch of units. Typically, if the HDMI card is bad, you will know it the first time you plug it into your TV. If it's OK, you should be fine thereafter.

Any word on what DirecTV will do about the current mpeg 2 HD TiVo's when they switch to mpeg 4 compression? Seems like a gray area right now and kept me from spending a grand on that box if the future of it is iffy.
post #188 of 17304 Old 01-22-2005, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hey Guys-

Congrats Casey! You may be the first to get any kind of discount of a Qualia 006. Apparently the rumors of Sony's ironclad rules about full list price are unfounded.
post #189 of 17304 Old 01-22-2005, 11:58 AM

I plan to set the SXRD on a wood stand. Do I need to put something under is to keep it from scratching the wood? Also, looking at the TV, is the HDMI connector on the right or left? Trying to figure our if I need a 3' or 6' HDMI cable.
post #190 of 17304 Old 01-22-2005, 12:04 PM

Has anyone tried a HDMI-DVI adapter yet? Do they work o.k.? I may wait until this summer to get a new HDMI cable when I will need to upgrade to the new mpeg4 DirecTV STB.
post #191 of 17304 Old 01-22-2005, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Has anyone tried a HDMI-DVI adapter yet? Do they work o.k.? I may wait until this summer to get a new HDMI cable when I will need to upgrade to the new mpeg4 DirecTV STB.

Casey,

I ordered an HDMI-DVI cable from RAM ($30 - ad at the top of AVS pages) to connect my Comcast DVR to the Qualia 006. When the cable shows up, I'll report on how it works and if the video is any better than through the current component connection. Thanks to Penton's tip about RAM. Their cable is seriously cheaper than anything I can find locally.
post #192 of 17304 Old 01-22-2005, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I plan to set the SXRD on a wood stand. Do I need to put something under is to keep it from scratching the wood? Also, looking at the TV, is the HDMI connector on the right or left? Trying to figure our if I need a 3' or 6' HDMI cable.

Casey,

I haven't seen the underside of the Qualia. I assume it has some thin feet or pads. The HDMI connectors are on the right side as you view the set from the rear.
post #193 of 17304 Old 01-22-2005, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by colortv
Any word on what DirecTV will do about the current mpeg 2 HD TiVo's when they switch to mpeg 4 compression? Seems like a gray area right now and kept me from spending a grand on that box if the future of it is iffy.

Nothing has been said officially by DirecTV, but CSR's there are telling customers DirecTV will replace their HD TiVos with a new unit capable of MPEG4, at no additional cost to the customer, when the MPEG2 stream is turned off. That is not expected to happen for some time (2 years?). In the past, DirecTV has provided new hardware and free installation to customers that needed new hardware due to updated technology. Time will tell, but I think an HD TiVo is a sound investment at $600 ($850, less $250 DirecTV credits, see the TiVo community forum for details) for the viewing enjoyment you will receive for the immediate future.
post #194 of 17304 Old 01-22-2005, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

Here's a little Quicktime movie (16:9 of course) of the delivery of my Qualia 006. Two strong men can handle the beast in spite of the recommendation in the manual.

http://www.kingoftheroad.net/qualia0...v-delivery.mov
post #195 of 17304 Old 01-22-2005, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here's a little Quicktime movie (16:9 of course) of the delivery of my Qualia 006. Two strong men can handle the beast in spite of the recommendation in the manual.

http://www.kingoftheroad.net/qualia0...v-delivery.mov

colortv,

Ver cool! Thanks for sharing.

P.S. Tell that third guy to watch out for fingerprints on your virgin 006
post #196 of 17304 Old 01-22-2005, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
[quote]Originally posted by colortv
[b]Here's a little Quicktime movie (16:9 of course) of the delivery of my Qualia 006. Two strong men can handle the beast in spite of the recommendation in the manual.

My two delivery guys wish they could have been delivering that instead of a 73" Mits Enjoy your new TV.
post #197 of 17304 Old 01-22-2005, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by jb007
.... Time will tell, but I think an HD TiVo is a sound investment at $600 ($850, less $250 DirecTV credits, see the TiVo community forum for details) for the viewing enjoyment you will receive for the immediate future.

jb007,

Apparently not all of the Vice-Presidents at D* would agree.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=43484
post #198 of 17304 Old 01-22-2005, 02:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

[b]Here's a little Quicktime movie (16:9 of course) of the delivery of my Qualia 006. Two strong men can handle the beast in spite of the recommendation in the manual.

Colortv,

That video was almost comedic. Cool though!!!!!

Laterz
post #199 of 17304 Old 01-22-2005, 02:42 PM

A question for the owners: have you seen the abnormality I've illustrated below? I spotted in when viewing the 006 in Vegas. I'm not sure if it was the setup, or the TV. At the time, I was watching HDnet via their feed (DirecTV?). I believe the DirecTV was box was connected via component video. I noticed it during the closing titles for a movie.

It's hard to describe, so here's an illustration:

post #200 of 17304 Old 01-22-2005, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

JP2-

I think the idea of an acoustically transparent cloth of some sort for the front of the 006's stand is a great idea. I'd go for that. PM me when you get the details. I'd want it to be black. I bet there are others here that would go for it also to help the WAF. Maybe we can get a list going for that.

JB007 - I also noted that pressing channel up or down on the Sony remote takes you to the TV input, so I think I will try using channel + as the discrete code for that input.

NOTICE TO ALL: The Sony stand has casters but is not easy to move from side to side. You CANNOT role this stand straight ahead or backwards with the TV seated on it. If anyone disagrees please post.

Warm color temp. is closest to the NTSC standard (not exactly 6500 degrees K but closer than the other choices.

Review of Picture Quality after 24 hours:

Being very picky, there is only one small negative I have seen with picture quality and that is there is some motion blur I've noticed infrequently that might bother some folks who like to watch fast moving sports like basketball or hockey. However, I have seen it more ofter watching CNN with the news crawl on the bottom - you will likely see some motion blur in the news crawl. Does this bother other owners? Not sure if gamers will be happy with any motion blur whatsoever so if that's a primary purpose for this set you may want to see the set first. I would assume its much more of a problem with LCD sets that don't have the "5 millisecond" response rate of the SXRD, but instead have a "12 millisecond" response time at least.

DJ-V - you might be seeing the motion blur I've also noticed.

Blacks are black to me and 100% acceptable- and that's coming from an ex-Pioneer Elite RPTV CRT owner. Not an issue whatsoever.
Picture quality is really great on a good source like DVD and outstanding on HD sources. Even good enough for the family for analog cable - considering this is a 70 inch set that speaks volumes about this set's great scaler.
post #201 of 17304 Old 01-22-2005, 02:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Penton, not in Philly anymore but it is my home town.

I wanted to share some setting that I fell gave me a spectacular picture. When I calibrated the set I noticed that the bottom few bars of the gray scale test parttern were crushed. I bumped up the brightness 2 or 3 increment above the default setting (I am using Pro mode) to reveal the missing bars. The image now was a little washed out. I went to the advanced menu and set the Black Enhance (I think that was the name without being in front of the TV) to medium. The picture now shows the missing bars and also has that punch that gives the 3D picture effect we all love.

Hope this is useful.

Mauice
post #202 of 17304 Old 01-22-2005, 02:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 562
How is free or discounted equipment to replace the Tivo an issue?

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
post #203 of 17304 Old 01-22-2005, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Originally posted by rogo
(a) Your logic is not flawed. People have an irrational love for upconverting DVD players when the key is >>digital output<< not internal scaling.

(b) Most of the upconverting DVD players out today are considered dreadful by videophiles. Check out the DVD Players section to learn all the bugaboos.

I agree with Monsieur Rogo. As if that's not like a senatorial aide agreeing with the SENATOR.

The key is the digital output. Whatever upconverting DVD player you guys end up with - check to see whether the 006 or the player does a better job at scaling before you finalize connections.
post #204 of 17304 Old 01-22-2005, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by nhey
JB007-

Does your Harmony remote allow you to switch to the "TV" input directly? That's the input between Video 7 and Video 1. In other words, does it have a discrete code for the TV input?

Penton-man - is your set on a carpeted floor or wood floor?

Carpeted floor. Audiophile prerequisites beat the wife out this time over the better aesthetics of interior decorating.

Don't even ask about wall treatments in the room.
post #205 of 17304 Old 01-22-2005, 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by nhey
DJ-V - you might be seeing the motion blur I've also noticed.

I should point out that the titles I saw (and I reproduced in the illustration above) were not moving, they were still. So it was blur without motion.
post #206 of 17304 Old 01-22-2005, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

God,
I leave this thread for 10 or 12 hours and I've got alot of make-up reading to do....whaz up with you guys?
post #207 of 17304 Old 01-22-2005, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by DJ_V
A question for the owners: have you seen the abnormality I've illustrated below? I spotted in when viewing the 006 in Vegas. I'm not sure if it was the setup, or the TV. At the time, I was watching HDnet via their feed (DirecTV?). I believe the DirecTV was box was connected via component video. I noticed it during the closing titles for a movie.

It's hard to describe, so here's an illustration:

No, I've never seen what you've pictured. Thank God.
post #208 of 17304 Old 01-22-2005, 03:13 PM
Advanced Member

I've also never seen this with stationary text.
post #209 of 17304 Old 01-22-2005, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

FYI -- I've updated the first post in this thread to include some of the suggestions which have been posted. Thanks to all for their contributions.
post #210 of 17304 Old 01-22-2005, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by mauricef
Penton, not in Philly anymore but it is my home town.

I wanted to share some setting that I fell gave me a spectacular picture. When I calibrated the set I noticed that the bottom few bars of the gray scale test parttern were crushed. I bumped up the brightness 2 or 3 increment above the default setting (I am using Pro mode) to reveal the missing bars. The image now was a little washed out. I went to the advanced menu and set the Black Enhance (I think that was the name without being in front of the TV) to medium. The picture now shows the missing bars and also has that punch that gives the 3D picture effect we all love.

Hope this is useful.

Mauice

Maurice,

Would you mind posting or pm'ing me with all of your settings after calibration, so I can include them in the first post?
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Sony

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page