QUALIA 006 Owner's Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17300 Old 01-18-2005, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
In September 2004, the first news posted about a Sony 70" rear projection television capable of displaying 1080p appeared on the AVS forum. A news release from Cedia stated the model would be called a Sony KDS70XBR100 and sell for $10,000, with availability in early 2005. That television turned out to be the QUALIA 006 (Original MSRP $13,000), utilizing Sony proprietary technology labeled SXRD. A matching stand sold for $1,500. The entire QUALIA line of products was discontinued by Sony in early 2006. The latest reported manufacture date of a Q006 is January 2006.

There were two QUALIA boutiques, located inside Sony Style stores. One in New York and the other in Las Vegas. I placed my order with the QUALIA store in Las Vegas on 12/30/04 and received my Q006 on 1/7/05.

Screen Shots:

NFL screen shots.

CSI: NY screen shots.

Various screen shots courtesy of brt3.

Reviews:

Sound & Vision Magazine.

audio video revolution August 2005.

JoeC5 posted this comparison between his newly purchased Q006 and Mitsubishi 65813.

Picture Settings:

brt3 provides these settings after tweaking with DVE (1080i) on his JVC 40000 over Input 4.

mauricef provides settings from a Panasonic XP50 DVD player, which he verified were also excellent with a JVC DVHS player and HDTV from CableCard.

JP2’s settings using a HTPC outputting a 1080i signal via a DVI to HDMI cable to the 006.

From Penton-Man, here are his settings.

nhey had his set professionally calibrated and posted these results.

Miscellaneous:

The Qualia 006 Owner's Guide in pdf.

Here is a link to the Qualia 006 web page maintained by 006 owner brt3. This site contains photos, and a lot of other helpful information.

To view signal strength of a digital station you are receiving from an antenna connected to the 006, go to Menu, then Diagnostics, and while utilizing the antenna feed as source material you can view signal strength and frequency of the station as descibed here.

If you do not own a digital camera that utilizes the memory stick format, you can still purchase a memory stick (and reader, if necessary) to copy photos from your computer onto the memory stick, for display on the 006. These are the instructions.

Bulb Replacement

You can order a Sony OEM XL5000 replacement bulb for between $239 and $299 from Better Lamps, TV Lamps For Less, Express Repair Center or Sony. There is also a Sylvania Osram bulb replacement that does not include the metal housing, but is rated at 6,000 hours for $189.

To check the hours on your bulb and/or to reset the hours, this is the Official Sony Protocol.

Joe C5 provides these detailed directions for resetting the lamp timer.

Here are Tulsa1's instructions for carefully cleaning the glass plate adjacent to the bulb, which is known to accumulate a lot of dirt and dust, which may affect your picture more than you realize.

Qualia Customer Support: 877-QUALIA3

jb007
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17300 Old 01-18-2005, 07:55 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
JB007,

Thanks for starting this long awaited thread. Good idea on adding those links too. My 006 is in the general area and should have in a day or two. I am also trying to contact an ISF calibrator to look at my set as soon as it gets here.

Laterz
post #3 of 17300 Old 01-18-2005, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by kaduku
JB007,

Thanks for starting this long awaited thread. Good idea on adding those links too. My 006 is in the general area and should have in a day or two. I am also trying to contact an ISF calibrator to look at my set as soon as it gets here.

kaduku, congrats. Looking forward to pictures and your review.
post #4 of 17300 Old 01-18-2005, 09:13 PM

jb007 and kaduku,

Looking forward to tweaking the 006 with you guys when my set arrives. Should be about another week. Until then we will have to live vicariously through you, jb007 and colortv. Let us know EVERYTHING.

sj
post #5 of 17300 Old 01-18-2005, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by kaduku
JB007,

I thought that a set should be "broken in" awhile before having it calibrated?

dc

StayThristyMyFriends
post #6 of 17300 Old 01-18-2005, 09:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by DreamCatcher
I thought that a set should be "broken in" awhile before having it calibrated?

dc

I didn't know you treated these things like a car. But is there really a break in period? I just want to have the best possible viewing experience. From what I read, tvs come from the factory with very minimal adjustments from the factory workers (like 15 seconds), and calibrators will take the necessary time (up to 3 hours) with specialized equipment to make your tv perform the way it was supposed to be. Now hopefully these Qualia tvs might have been looked at a little longer.

Laterz
post #7 of 17300 Old 01-18-2005, 09:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
New sets ordinarily need the 100-hour break-in period in order for its electronics to settle down thereby allowing the calibration to be most effective. I had to wait this period of time before the ISF did its thing.
post #8 of 17300 Old 01-18-2005, 09:44 PM

Some of the new DLPs are coming precalibrated as a selling point.
sj
post #9 of 17300 Old 01-18-2005, 09:57 PM

Can any of you illustrious gentlemen clairify a question I have. I saw a current 70 inch Sony XBR today and from 14 feet with my tape measure I could not make our any SDE. I brought my tape measure so I could be sure I was viewing things from the exact distance of my couch.

The question is will I see a significant picture difference from the Qualia 006 vs the 70 XBR at this distance. I would assume the Qualia has a "better" picture but what I need help with is there a real world difference for the extra $7,000 to my viewing experience.

At 14 feet can I even discerne 1080p vs 768p. I have never owned a HDTV and have been limping along with my 8 year old Mitsu 60 inch. This is a lot of money for me and I don't want to pay the extra $7,000 for a 5% incremental improvement. I WILL pay the extra if it is really that much better.

I am hoping that Jb, Color or Peyton or any of the newer owners can shed some light on this for me. If the rat bastards at Sony didn't raise the price $3,000 I would already have one but it is funny how that extra $3,000 makes you really think doesn't it.

Anyway would appreciate the opinions as I either gotta bite the bullet or buy a smaller (cheaper) TV for the bedroom and wait for the prices to come back to my trailer park budget.

thx
post #10 of 17300 Old 01-18-2005, 09:58 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks DreamCatcher and Ed Weinman for bringing this 100 hour break-in peroid to my attention. This is the reason why I love the forum. The person (calibrator) I talk to didn't even mention this.

Laterz
post #11 of 17300 Old 01-18-2005, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by MotorMouth777
Can any of you illustrious gentlemen clairify a question I have. I saw a current 70 inch Sony XBR today and from 14 feet with my tape measure I could not make our any SDE. I brought my tape measure so I could be sure I was viewing things from the exact distance of my couch.

The question is will I see a significant picture difference from the Qualia 006 vs the 70 XBR at this distance. I would assume the Qualia has a "better" picture but what I need help with is there a real world difference for the extra $7,000 to my viewing experience.

At 14 feet can I even discerne 1080p vs 768p. I have never owned a HDTV and have been limping along with my 8 year old Mitsu 60 inch. This is a lot of money for me and I don't want to pay the extra $7,000 for a 5% incremental improvement. I WILL pay the extra if it is really that much better.

I am hoping that Jb, Color or Peyton or any of the newer owners can shed some light on this for me. If the rat bastards at Sony didn't raise the price $3,000 I would already have one but it is funny how that extra $3,000 makes you really think doesn't it.

Anyway would appreciate the opinions as I either gotta bite the bullet or buy a smaller (cheaper) TV for the bedroom and wait for the prices to come back to my trailer park budget.

thx

I've seen the 70" XBR, but I've never done a side by side comparison with the 006. There's no question the 006 has much better PQ (by most all accounts on this board), but to say it is x % better or $7,000 better is a judgment call you probably need to make based on your eyes (and your wallet). Maybe rogo or someone else can give you a more qualitative analysis.
post #12 of 17300 Old 01-18-2005, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here's a small treat for those of you waiting for delivery of your 006 . . . a picture of the 006 screen displaying CSI: Las Vegas (in honor of QUALIA Las Vegas).

Enjoy and welcome to the group
LL
post #13 of 17300 Old 01-18-2005, 11:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 179
jb007

Talk about good blacks.

Imported your csi.jpg into photoshop. The whitest white is 255, 255,255 and the blackest black is 3,3,3. In a scene that's probably around 50% APL, that's incredible. (Big smily face)

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #14 of 17300 Old 01-19-2005, 01:00 AM
Advanced Member

jb007,

Congrats for inaugurating this new thread. Great that you were the very first of us to take the plunge on a Qualia 006. You made a daring commitment to a new type of display, sight unseen. And I know you feel as I do - Sony delivered an incredible product which we are thrilled to own! I placed my order sight unseen as well, but only after rogo's enthusiastic reviews of the prototype and your pioneering real world experience. Thanks for posting the link to my review of my Qualia 006 on this new thread.

My favorite SD series, Amazing Race looked great tonight on the SXRD - better than expected. And good news from a friend of mine who sells HD broadcast equipment - Amazing Race is evaluating HD cameras/recorders and will likely make the switch to HD soon. Hopefully other reality shows are not far behind.

I just taped The Tonight Show in HD on my JVC 4000 DVHS machine via iLink connection to the Qualia 006 while viewing the broadcast via the TV's ATSC OTA tuner. The DVHS HD recording is excellent! Record and playback of HD on DVHS via iLink is a no-brainer.

Here are the promised answers to a few questions recently posed on our old thread:

jb007,
Regarding your question about what program I currently work on? Since you asked, here goes. I hope my resume doesn't sound too heavy handed!

I am the editor for "According to Jim" on ABC. I've been at this game a long time - heck, I edited a couple of seasons of "All in the Family" and "The Jeffersons" in the good old days, on 2" quadruplex videotape. I've worked on commercials, music videos back in the early days of MTV, and clip/awards packages for several Oscarcasts. I edited all "In Living Color" episodes and the original "ellen" sitcom series. And a lot more. I've been lucky and had a great ride with my career.

A few years back, when I was working on "Titus" for Fox, I helped convince the producers to switch from 35mm film production to Sony 1080p/24 HD CAM, although Fox never aired the shows in HD. "Titus" was the very first network series to be produced with the new Sony HD system. On "Titus" we blazed the trail for the many network shows that use Sony 1080p/24 today. Those Sony cameras are amazing - on a properly lit set, images on the studio monitors appear to be have the richness and color depth of 35mm motion picture film - not at all the typical "video look." But great lighting is the key - current HD cameras still do not have the contrast ratio of film, and highlights can be blown out in a hurry under harsh lighting conditions. Our director of photography on "Jim" does an excellent job and has made the leap from lighting film to HD video with with great success.

thestewman,
Thanks for the info on the HDMI-DVI adapter.

mhafner,
The Qualia 006 looks great in my bright room during the day. My room has 2 skylights. I watched the TV tonight with no ambient light and it looks great. No washed out or blown out highlights. If the highlights are too hot in that dark environment, just bring down the "picture" setting a bit which is more pleasing to me in a dark room. The 3000:1 CR has more importance to me in the shadow detail, which is the best I have seen on an RPTV but still not as good as CRT. The pro 1080p/24 Sony CRT monitors we use at the studio have incredible shadow detail, and SXRD isn't as good. However, I find the SXRD image to be by far the most pleasing I have seen on any large HDTV and the shadow detail is above the threshold I consider to be acceptable - in other words, SXRD shadow detail is quite good in my opinion, better than what I have seen on Samsung's pedestal DLP's. And a LOT less noisy than DLP images which I find to be unflattering at all times. Sorry DLP fans I briefly considered DLP until this puppy came along.

I have only looked at DVD's briefly, and so far have not seen unacceptable motion judder on any source, HD or SD.

merc,
I assume your negative comment about staying away is because you think the price is too high? It certainly can't be a comment on the quality of the SXRD display. As with computers or other toys of our modern era, you can wait forever for continuing, inevitable improvements and refinements. I finally took the HD plunge with the Qualia 006 because the time is right for me - enough HD content and an incredible display to watch it on.

nhey,
"Cool" color temp on any image is bluish by definition. I don't know why Sony would set that as the 006's default. "Neutral" is much more pleasing to my eyes. I haven't gotten into playing with the settings yet. "Warm" may be nice as well - I tend to prefer the warm look. By the way, the manual for this set appears to be far superior to the manual I glanced at for my friend's 60" Sony LCD RPTV. The SXRD gets a thick and thorough manual, at least so it seems so far.

NorthJersey,
My Bose center channel speaker fits nicely on the upper center shelf on the Chicane stand directly under the SXRD. Of course a larger speaker isn't going to fit there. The stand is gorgeous to look at, at least in my environment. It complements my oak floors nicely, and the depth of the SXRD is EXACTLY the depth of the top shelf of the Chicane 4. They seem to have been made for each other. I'll post more pics once the cable box/HD DVR are installed on Wednesday.

h20sports,
Thanks for answering alainl's question about Chicane 4 pricing.

Jason30,
The scaler in the Qualia 006 is incredible - better than any built-in scaler I've seen on 720 displays, and obviously more difficult to scale up to 1080p. Perhaps it's not good enough for your needs, but I bet most folks will be very pleased.
post #15 of 17300 Old 01-19-2005, 01:07 AM
Advanced Member

MotorMouth777,

There is a big difference in image quality at your viewing distance between Sony LCD and SXRD RPTV's. The SXRD has a WOW factor not apparent with LCD. Even though SDE may not be readily apparent at that distance, it is a "veil" over the image that turns me off big time. And the difference in brightness, richness of color, superior shadow detail, and the SXRD's vastly improved scaler make it worth the extra money. I find SD to be unacceptable on any large HDTV except the Qualia 006. I rejected every other large HDTV I have seen on that basis alone.
post #16 of 17300 Old 01-19-2005, 03:21 AM
Advanced Member

JB007 and ColorTv - you guys are GREAT! Keep up the very informative posts...

T-minus 2 days and counting for delivery...

Regarding break-in period before calibration, another reason to wait about 100 hours is to be sure the set is working correctly... why spend a few hundred bucks more for a calibration until you're sure everything is A O.K., although once you've already spent $13K a few hundred more won't be missed

Agree with Mark H. about the bulb - that's also a very good point. With CRT RPTVs, the 100 hour break-in rule prior to calibration is even more important - to let the RPTV "settle down".

Hi Mark H. - I'm your buddy in Lawrenceville NJ who bought a Pioneer Elite from you a couple years ago. Glad to see you are also going to be on this thread.

I'm trying to get more information on the bulb - including how to order a replacement. Any idea about that from the manual??
post #17 of 17300 Old 01-19-2005, 07:29 AM

I have already ordered this set and will hopefully get it next week. I am wondering what will happen if one plays a computer game at 1920 x 1080 resolution and the fps is higher than 30? Apparently the set can only do 30 fps so would there be artifacts? JP2 was already kind enough to try out Half Life 2 at this resolution but I'm not sure how many fps that game was running at.
post #18 of 17300 Old 01-19-2005, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
ColorTV,

Can you record HD programs from cable/satellite using the JVC DVHS/Sony Firewire or just HD OTA using the Sony tuner? Does the firewire output the HD signal even if you are using an external tuner?

Many thanks and congrats for such a wonderful machine.

Sergio

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #19 of 17300 Old 01-19-2005, 08:09 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Just got my call from Sony delivery. They will deliver on Friday AM. This will be a fun weekend.
post #20 of 17300 Old 01-19-2005, 08:14 AM
jp2

within the setup menu, you can choose to "skip" over some inputs that aren't being used. This menu only shows video 1-7. There is another initial input that I'm not using (I think its for a coax input) but can't seem to find a way to "skip" over that one. I'm trying to setup my harmony remote. I only use the 2 hdmi and 1 component. BTW, only 1 of the hdmi inputs will have a seperate audio input. This is important if you connect a dvi device (my samsung 160 stb for d*) and use an hdmi adapter. If I want to just use the tv's speakers for sound (when watching cnn), I need to make sure that I run a seperate pair of audio cables from my stb to the inputs next to the 1st hdmi input. I originally had my pc hooked up to that hdmi input but then I switched them.

I'm pretty sure you can not have 2 hd sources with pip mode but I wanted to confirm with those that have tried this. Since I'm using only hdmi and component, is it possible to use pip? I don't think my stb will allow 480i out of its dvi port and I don't want to have to manually switch back and forth. The samsung stb has a manual switch on the back of the box.

brgds,
jp
post #21 of 17300 Old 01-19-2005, 08:16 AM
jp2

I would also like to add that the delivery company did a very good job and was much better than most including the 2 times I had people move the toshiba!
post #22 of 17300 Old 01-19-2005, 09:44 AM

Liked: 17
Generally Sony TVs have inputs labeled "TV" (for the coax) and then Video 1-7. You can usually re-label the video inputs to "Skip" which skips them when pressing the "TV/Video" button (who would want to cycle through all the inputs all the time?). I don't believe you can Skip the "TV" input.

If you have a programmable remote, all the Video inputs also have discrete IR codes.
post #23 of 17300 Old 01-19-2005, 09:57 AM
jp2

Thanks Scott. Thats what I thought. I was trying to find a way to skip the TV input as I don't use that. I think JB or someone already uploaded some codes to the Harmony database.
post #24 of 17300 Old 01-19-2005, 10:27 AM
TWD
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I think I read somewhere that Sony is comming out with a 56" version of this set. Anyone have any info on that?

TWD
post #25 of 17300 Old 01-19-2005, 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by JimP
The whitest white is 255, 255,255 and the blackest black is 3,3,3. In a scene that's probably around 50% APL, that's incredible.

I don't think it would be safe to say this from the 006 picture that was taken by a digital camera...errr...was it taken by a digital camera or exported to a HD-recorder/computer? Because if the picture was taken via a digital camera, the blacks and whites (along with the colors) will already be biased by the camera's mechanics.

I'm very interested in comparing the black levels of this 006 with Sony's other GWIV LCD RPTVs. Can any of you 006 owners please perhaps run a black level/contrast test and post results/screenshots?

There's too much blood in my alcohol system...
post #26 of 17300 Old 01-19-2005, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by slimoli
ColorTV,

Can you record HD programs from cable/satellite using the JVC DVHS/Sony Firewire or just HD OTA using the Sony tuner? Does the firewire output the HD signal even if you are using an external tuner?

Many thanks and congrats for such a wonderful machine.

Sergio

Comcast is due here any minute to install HD cable and an HD DVR. Their Motorola box has a Firewire port on it which I have been told will allow HD recording to DVHS. I plan to use the Motorola DVR to timeshift then archive to DVHS if necessary. The Motorola HD DVR only records 10 hours of HD on its 120 gig hard drive, so I won't be banking anything on it long term. I want to find out if I can put a larger hard drive in the box or find someone to do it for me. Of course Comcast only leases the DVR so it's not mine to keep - just as good!
post #27 of 17300 Old 01-19-2005, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Squawks
I don't think it would be safe to say this from the 006 picture that was taken by a digital camera...errr...was it taken by a digital camera or exported to a HD-recorder/computer? Because if the picture was taken via a digital camera, the blacks and whites (along with the colors) will already be biased by the camera's mechanics.

I'm very interested in comparing the black levels of this 006 with Sony's other GWIV LCD RPTVs. Can any of you 006 owners please perhaps run a black level/contrast test and post results/screenshots?

Squawks,

There is no comparison between the blacks of the 006 vs LCD RPTV's. SXRD blacks are vastly superior, but still not as good as CRT. Still, no current RPTV can match the blacks of SXRD.
post #28 of 17300 Old 01-19-2005, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

I doubt the PIP feature on the 006 will allow 2 high-def sources to be displayed at once. I checked the manual for their 34" current XBR model (KD34xbr960) and it allows one digital and one analog picture, with the digital on the left side only.

My 006 arrives Friday a.m. also.
post #29 of 17300 Old 01-19-2005, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

I read someplace on the web that buyers of the 006 will receive a personal thank you letter from their cierge and special invitaions to Sony events. Any input from 006 owners on this?

Laterz
post #30 of 17300 Old 01-19-2005, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

kaduku,

I haven't received anything from Sony yet.
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Sony

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page