Sony KDF-55/60XS955 owners thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 2853 Old 02-15-2005, 06:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Back on topic. I noticed playing with the gamma corrector that the higher up ya go with the setting the less color saturation there is. The best way to tell is to look at the backround color of the menu (indigo for example) while you change the setting from low to high. It'll get washed out the higher up you go. I had mine set to low but I've seen many people set theirs to medium so I was curious. I still prefer the low setting especially after noticing this. Is there a "correct" setting for this or is it just preference?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 2853 Old 02-15-2005, 07:04 AM

Buck, I now use Pro mode since finding out that it can look nearly as sharp as Standard mode when you set Detail Enhancer to Medium.

Here are my other settings that I recall off the top of my head:

Color Temp = Warm
Noise Reduction = Off
Mild Mode = Off

Advanced:
Cinemotion
DRC Custom3 (25/25)
BN = Off
LiveColor = Medium
ClearWhite = On
Detail Enhancer = Medium
Black Corrector = Low
Gamma Corrector = Low

I calibrated the brightness using the THX optimizer. The other settings (picture, color, hue, etc) seem to be fine at the Pro defaults.

I am not sure if turning on ClearWhite is a good thing or not, but I have it left on right now just to try it out.

BTW, I have never changed anything in the service menu yet. Not sure if I ever will. I am very happy with how my set looks using the above settings.
post #93 of 2853 Old 02-15-2005, 07:06 AM

Yeah, I'm insulted and feel alienated. Guess it's back to the lowly GWIV thread with the other WF losers.

By the way, wideamg I think the WF series looks really kewl and is not boring at all.

I prefer the WF looks over the overblown XS anytime.

By the way, just about every post in this "XS" thread is relevent to the WF series as well. The WF and XS series are probably 99% internally identical.

One extra HDMI input, 2 extra user settings, and an extra tweeter or two are the only differences.
post #94 of 2853 Old 02-15-2005, 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by garymil
Yeah, I'm insulted and feel alienated. Guess it's back to the lowly GWIV thread with the other WF losers.

By the way, wideamg I think the WF series looks really kewl and is not boring at all.

I prefer the WF looks over the overblown XS anytime.

By the way, just about every post in this "XS" thread is relevent to the WF series as well. The WF and XS series are probably 99% internally identical.

One extra HDMI input, 2 extra user settings, and an extra tweeter or two are the only differences.

Troll! Seriously though, don't you find it somewhat ironic that you post that right after a XS-specific post? You say that they are 99% internally identical, and I say you're right, because the picture of each set can look exactly the same with proper calibration. It's just a question of whether or not I have to pay someone to do it for me.
post #95 of 2853 Old 02-15-2005, 07:17 AM

The looks will be subjective. Everyone won't agree on that. But they're more than 2 extra user settings that make quite a difference. I've had both the WF and XS series. Picture quality wise the XS is better hands down.
post #96 of 2853 Old 02-15-2005, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by garymil

There are 6 extra user settings in the XS955 over the WF655, including the unique (to the XS955) setting of "Live Color".

Michael
post #97 of 2853 Old 02-15-2005, 07:34 AM

I have received some good advice from people on this forum. I have visited the XS thread because I'm still within my 30 day return window. So, It makes sense to explore other options.

I do find I object to the attitude displayed (by some, not all) of these XS owners towards other sets. It's that "attitude" that makes their opinions invalid (at least in my view point). I have looked at other manufacturers sets, Panny (for example) has a gamma adjustment (in the menu) yet I don't see people raving about (being a "must have", yet there are XS owners who feel you cannot live without it. I'm puzzled...........

Again I thank those who give good, level headed advice, without the bragging.................
post #98 of 2853 Old 02-15-2005, 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by BenK
The looks will be subjective. Everyone won't agree on that. But they're more than 2 extra user settings that make quite a difference. I've had both the WF and XS series. Picture quality wise the XS is better hands down.

Agreed. I bought an XS even though I specifically do not like the way it looks. I think the space between the speakers is kind of silly in a 1999 space-age sort of way. I plan to have this tv in our living room for a while, and I have considerable worry that it is going to start looking dated pretty quickly. I think the xbr sets look much better in a more classic way and wish they'd kept a similar look with the top end GWIV (but sans the reflective mirror on the front).
post #99 of 2853 Old 02-15-2005, 08:17 AM

Help me understand something fellas. The sets have the same internal parts with the only exception being "live color", which most of us have turned off anyway. So how can the XS have a better picture hands-down? I bought the XS for the extra HDMI, extra user adjustments, and unique style. What about you?
post #100 of 2853 Old 02-15-2005, 08:24 AM

I've had my Sony 55xs955 a little over a month and I think it is getting noisier. I don't if I am hallucinating, but I don't remember being able to hear and be annoyed by noticeable fan noise across the room during low volume conversations before.

Has anyone else experienced this?
post #101 of 2853 Old 02-15-2005, 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Blind
I’ve had my Sony 55xs955 a little over a month and I think it is getting noisier. I don’t if I am hallucinating, but I don’t remember being able to hear and be annoyed by noticeable fan noise across the room during low volume conversations before.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Blind,

Perhaps you can turn a deaf ear?

Sorry, couldn't resist. One question I do have. Have room conditions changed? Is it warmer in the room than before?
post #102 of 2853 Old 02-15-2005, 09:00 AM

The only thing that changed is that I am doing work to quiet my HTPC and so that has been turned off for a few days, but it wasn't running for the when I first got the TV either. It just seems to be running at a higher pitch. Anyone have experience with Sony for fan replacements?
post #103 of 2853 Old 02-15-2005, 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Blind
The only thing that changed is that I am doing work to quiet my HTPC and so that has been turned off for a few days, but it wasn’t running for the when I first got the TV either. It just seems to be running at a higher pitch. Anyone have experience with Sony for fan replacements?

Blind,

If the noise is from the motor (bearings) it will tend to be a high pitched sound. It will increase with speed. You might want to check if dust is blocking the air vents (inlet side). A partially clogged vent will increase the noise level.
post #104 of 2853 Old 02-15-2005, 10:48 AM

Good thread guys. Just glad I don't have to read the LCD RP vs. DLP flame wars...

I love this TV - I bought it over the WF for the extra HDMI and tweaks personally. I really have no complaints, except for the fact that on extremely bright scenes on HD broadcasts, sometimes it looks like the screen got some water on it so you see sort of a shimmering effect. To my eye, it looks like there is stuff on the screen in front of the actual picture. Is that the SSE? Any way to get rid of that?

Also, what mode are you guys working off of to calibrate? I've never calibrated a TV before, and have had the XS about 5 weeks now. My AVIA and DVE just came in, so if anyone could point me in the right direction as to which disks to start with and under what settings, and any other tips, that would be greatly appreciated.
post #105 of 2853 Old 02-15-2005, 11:11 AM

Have any of you had problems playing Xbox games in widescreen? I can't seem to get the tv to recognize the proper output. I have 480p, 720p, and 1080i on, along with widescreen mode. It stays in widescreen from the menu to the title screen, then reverts back to 4:3 display as the game comes on.
post #106 of 2853 Old 02-15-2005, 11:22 AM

I have not had the problem pn my XBox, but I have only played Tiger Woods 2005 briefly. I know you need to be sure the TV is in full mode and that you have set the XBox dashboard correctly.

Noob
post #107 of 2853 Old 02-15-2005, 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Turd Burglar
Is that the SSE? Any way to get rid of that?

Also, what mode are you guys working off of to calibrate?

Yes, that would be the SSE. There isn't a way to get rid of it - it's really an inherent trait of the way the lamp is directioned in the set, or the way the screen works, etc. Everybody sees this SSE, so you being able to see it isn't a defect. People get used to it pretty easily and SSE is really only apparent on bright scenes of flat colors.

I would suggest you calibrate in PRO mode, as PRO mode enables you to tweak with 'extra' options which may prove helpful in calibration, especially in areas such as gamma/black corrector. The gamma option is pretty helpful in eliminating black crush.

Bradyk, what game are you talking about? Some Xbox games have buggy software glitches where the game won't send to the TV that it's in widescreen format (the WS flag), thus making the TV think that a 4:3 signal is being inputted and that the TV will now revert to the 4:3 wide default (whatever you had it set on). Halo 2 is a notorious example.

An easy way to remedy this is to use the TV's various wide modes. Usually, FULL should do the trick and of course, be warned that Halo 2 isn't be stretched...the HUD overlay is stretched but the actual gameplay isn't (you can actually see more peripheral stuff on the left/right sides of the screen).

EDIT: For those of you who are not very familiar with LIVE COLOR on the XS955, turn on the live color demo in the user options (not the video options). When the demo is on, the TV will have live color on in only half of the TV screen, letting you compare half the of screen (with live color on) with the other half (no live color). The TV labels which side is which. I noticed that blues are a little more enhanced, and reds seem to be a tad bit toned down. The difference is very subtle, however.

There's too much blood in my alcohol system...
post #108 of 2853 Old 02-15-2005, 12:09 PM

Xs955 i go under pro mode and get to live color, my screen does not split or really show any difference Am i missing something here?
post #109 of 2853 Old 02-15-2005, 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by MDJ51
Xs955 i go under pro mode and get to live color, my screen does not split or really show any difference Am i missing something here?

It'll say "live color demo" in the advanced settings I believe. Its not actually in the live color settings menu.

Live color isnt talked about much but is a very important feature. Like most tv's the Sony has about 20% red push so to eliminate that you need to reduce overall color (or possibly go into the service menu). But in doing so you're reducing the blue and green. Thats where live color comes in. Using the Avia color decoder check you can raise the live color setting to boost the blue and green color decoder to match the red to get them as close as 0% as possible. Its a great overlooked feature.
post #110 of 2853 Old 02-15-2005, 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by BenK
It'll say "live color demo" in the advanced settings I believe. Its not actually in the live color settings menu.

Live color isnt talked about much but is a very important feature. Like most tv's the Sony has about 20% red push so to eliminate that you need to reduce overall color (or possibly go into the service menu). But in doing so you're reducing the blue and green. Thats where live color comes in. Using the Avia color decoder check you can raise the live color setting to boost the blue and green color decoder to match the red to get them as close as 0% as possible. Its a great overlooked feature.

So what are your settings if I can ask?
post #111 of 2853 Old 02-15-2005, 02:27 PM

Can anyone tell me how to get the PIP to work on my 60xs? I am using a HD set top box connected via component. I can only get the PIP to display the same channel on both screens. Do I have to change the way my box is connected? Thanks in advance.
post #112 of 2853 Old 02-15-2005, 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by bradyk
Have any of you had problems playing Xbox games in widescreen? I can't seem to get the tv to recognize the proper output. I have 480p, 720p, and 1080i on, along with widescreen mode. It stays in widescreen from the menu to the title screen, then reverts back to 4:3 display as the game comes on.

Yeah, the XBox doesn't seem to send the 16:9 flag on at least some games. Halo 2 for example. You need to select "Full" mode to get it in wide screen, but it is truly 16:9 (not simply stretched 4:3).

OTOH, I have played Soul Calibur II and the TV detects 16:9 without problems. Maybe it's because that game is 720p (which is absolutely stunning).
post #113 of 2853 Old 02-15-2005, 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by laynrubr
Can anyone tell me how to get the PIP to work on my 60xs? I am using a HD set top box connected via component. I can only get the PIP to display the same channel on both screens. Do I have to change the way my box is connected? Thanks in advance.

You won't be able to show two different channels from your set top box. You can see one channel from that and one from another source, like a DVD player.

Are you using cable? If you are, you could possibly replace your set top box with a CableCard. Then you could simply plug the cable connection right into the back of your TV. It could tune two channels for PIP this way.
post #114 of 2853 Old 02-15-2005, 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Buck's SCSW
So what are your settings if I can ask?

I used Avia for regular picture settings and it seems the default settings are just about spot on. I backed off color to about 26 to compensate for the red push though. My HD settings are slightly different except for the advanced settings which are set the same.

Picture 46
Brightness 30
Color 26
Hue 0
Sharpness 28
Color Temp: Warm
Noise reduction: Low

Live color: High
Clear white: Off
Detail enhancer: medium
Black corrector: Off
Gamme corrector: Low
post #115 of 2853 Old 02-15-2005, 10:51 PM

Tonight, while in the middle of watching L&O: SVU, my 55XS just died out.

At first it was strange - the video dropped out but there was still sound being output. The green LED was flashing. I thought it could have been the signal so I tried switching channels - to an analog channel. There, I could see a picture but it was very dim...then that too died out after several seconds. I eventually turned off the TV. Then turned it back on about five minutes later - this time the green light was flashing (normal) but no picture appeared...eventually the red light started flashing.

So sadly, after a month and a half of use, my TV has given up. Even though I'm still in my 1 year manufacturer warranty, I'm still going to haggle Best Buy to come over and change my lamp unit...I purchased the extended warranty.

I don't think I have read of anybody getting their lamp unit replaced for this XS955 (too new, I suppose) - and I am a little concerned when the blokes from BB come over, toodling with my set and potentially bringing up even more problems when replacing the lamp unit. The worst scenario I can think of is capturing dust in the inside of my screen when pulling off the front panel (to access the lamp unit ballast)...and to make things worst, my place is filled with dust and dog hair.

Anyways, I don't intend to cause an uproar in this thread - the XS955 is a great set and I am beyond sure that the reason my lamp unit prematurely failed is because the dumbasses from Best Buy delivery simply lugged my set on it side using a dolly over 3 flights of stairs (come on, two guys, 120 lbs...how hard is that?).

I will inform on progress, if any - wish me luck and I'm afraid I won't scrutinize my screen afterwards looking for dust specks behind it because I think that'll just make things worst (for my anxiety).

It's a little interesting, actually - I noticed a short video dropout (about 5 seconds long) while watching a program a few weeks ago...the dropout was pretty gradual - faded to pitch black, and then the picture faded back on. For other XS owners out there - I caution you all that this would be a symptom of a failing lamp unit.

post #116 of 2853 Old 02-15-2005, 10:55 PM

Damn...what is the life SUPPOSED to be on the lamps in the XS sets?

I ended up buying the Circuit City 4-year extended warranty for $299 because they said they'll replace the lamps during that time. I was like "no way--that's a normal wear and tear item!" but they said "yep" and the manager had it printed on the warranty receipt.
post #117 of 2853 Old 02-16-2005, 03:44 AM

I also got a 5 year warranty that includes bulb changes. There's no way I'd pay this much for a tv and not get a warranty. I'm not too worried about the bulb though. I can swing $199 for it if need be.
post #118 of 2853 Old 02-16-2005, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:

Originally posted by Squawks

I will inform on progress, if any - wish me luck and I'm afraid I won't scrutinize my screen afterwards looking for dust specks behind it because I think that'll just make things worst (for my anxiety).

It's a little interesting, actually - I noticed a short video dropout (about 5 seconds long) while watching a program a few weeks ago...the dropout was pretty gradual - faded to pitch black, and then the picture faded back on. . ...

Thanks so much for posting this info... I wish you the best of luck and PLEASE post a follow-up on your situation as to the speed and accuracy that Best Buy (hopefully) solved the problem.

-dw

Sub-1080p/60fps is not next-gen.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming? Click here.
post #119 of 2853 Old 02-16-2005, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Squawks
Anyways, I don't intend to cause an uproar in this thread - the XS955 is a great set and I am beyond sure that the reason my lamp unit prematurely failed is because the dumbasses from Best Buy delivery simply lugged my set on it side using a dolly over 3 flights of stairs (come on, two guys, 120 lbs...how hard is that?).

I remember this story. You may be right in that BB's delivery technique may have led to the early failure of your lamp. Let's hope that's all that was damaged during the delivery. This may be a long shot, but it is possible that your lamp came loose during the delivery and reseating it might bring your TV back to life.

BTW, the original lamp in the XS955 is warranted for one year by Sony. So, I think you will be dealing with Sony directly rather than BB for the replacement. I am not sure whether the replacement lamp Sony will give you has a 90 day warranty or a one year warranty (my guess: 90 days).

Michael
post #120 of 2853 Old 02-16-2005, 10:46 AM

Ok, back to my 55XS saga:

I called BestBuy last night at around 11 PM PST and surprisingly, their EW service reps were still working. I didn't expect this, but nonetheless that's something good to know. Anyway, the service rep was very courteous, and referred me to a professional TV repair shop near my area. Best Buy faxes the repair shop all of the necessary information about the customer/TV...pretty much gives them the heads-up to come and fix my TV. So that's good news - the TV repairs will be done by seasoned (hopefully) professionals. Since it was 11 PM at the moment, the shop was closed.

So this morning I called the shop, and they will have somebody over on Monday. I'm not complaining that much - with the TV broken that gives me a good reason to go out and let my dog (and girlfriend) run around in the park over the weekend. The TV is still under the manufacturer's warranty, so Best Buy really didn't have much to do with this - but, I believe this service repair still counts for their "no lemon" policy...where the TV will be replaced/refunded if a 4th service repair is required. So, I'll still keep the service repair receipt in case more problems arise. The set is great - if I had to exchange this set, I'd get another 55XS...actually, I'd probably go for the 60XS and pay a little more.

Michael, your theory of a loose lamp module sounds good - had my lamp actually 'broke' down due to physical damages, I do not think I would have seen any residual picture shown on the screen after changing channels from watching L&O (that went to pitch black). Of course, the TV won't even turn on anymore.

I also noticed that my TV rattles a tiny bit if somebody runs next to the set...as my floor is part of an apartment complex and is quite prone to vibrations. I remember other XS owners noticing a rattling, especially that other person with big speakers next to the set. While it's not definite the rattling is a defect, I would advise wariness if you do notice rattling (and thus avoid rattling the TV if possible).

Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page