Forum Jump: 

post #2851 of 2853 Old 12-01-2013, 09:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckF. View Post

You would have to remove the Panasonic polarizer and glass mount from the Panasonic mounting frame and mount it in the Sony frame, which is not difficult.

That does not sound too difficult--the glass must be the same size then?

The blue LCD panel is most likely OK in this TV, and I have two spares on hand. Not a single blue pixel to be found. smile.gif

The brown is most likely from the bulb--the display is dim, and takes awhile before the bulb warms up and illuminates. I ordered a genuine Osram bulb yesterday. (Even if it is not the bulb, at least I have a spare on hand.) The previous owner said they replaced the bulb, but it has two things against it: 1) generic Chinese, and 2) no ventilation until I cleaned it up. With the duct beyond the light engine's cooling fan having some of that brown crud in it, I would think the innards got some of it as well.

One thing I notice with burnt polarizers is that they tend to burn around their perimeter more so than in the middle. Even in my rebuilt light engine, there is very faint yellowing around the edges. It's something only I would notice, it's that faint. But it's there.

One thing I don't understand is how there was heat damage inside the set (the bulb area almost looks burnt), and yet the blue LCD has no problem. Upon disassembling it a few weeks ago, I can see that someone else had been inside the set and worked on it, as a couple of the wire ties were not closed, and one of them had one of its tabs busted off. I have a feeling it was worked on at some point...but how long ago? No clue. Just seems fishy it looked like it had a bulb blow out from overheating, yet I don't have the blue pixels or the bright yellowed image due to a roasted polarizer. No worries though--I have the patient well on the road to recover! And I'm learning a lot as I go.

-= N =-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2852 of 2853 Old 12-07-2013, 08:30 AM

The new Osram bulb arrived Thursday, and it was a cinch to remove the old bulb from its plastic "cage". Two screws along the top edge release a metal cover on the top. Another two screws loosen the two prong connector on the bottom. The bulb will literally fall out at that point. The leads are held onto the bare bulb with two small nuts. Simple job to replace the bulb! Comparing it to the bulb I replaced, I can see how much better the construction of the bulb is--I can post a picture later of the innards of both. The generic Chinese bulb has a single metal lead inside the glass going to the center. The Osram's metal lead is much more complex. IOW, the generic just looks cheap.

The UV cover over the bulb, however, is not faring so well. Due to the overheating, the top lip is warped, and I also discovered that it has become brittle. In a way I wish I could find a dead equivalent to these sets and use it for parts, but I don't have room to be storing another whole large TV. Might keep an eye open on FleaBay for one.

At any rate, the picture is vastly improved, and the brown tint is gone! And it is far brighter. The TV still takes a lot longer than the 50" to warm up, though. I still need to go in and reset the bulb counter. The picture is a bit warm on Normal, but a wee bit bluish set on Cool.

I still think the whole thing could use a cleaning inside (even the mirror that projects onto the screen), based on the crud I found that got caked onto the fan. There is still that odd iridescent tinge to the bottom of the picture whose pattern almost reminds me of smoke. Seeing from the UV cover that a prior bulb had a catastrophic meltdown (and I actually did find smoke residue in there from it), I may not be far off. Maybe during the holidays I'll strip 'er down and give it a thorough cleaning--light engine, mirror, screen, etc. Otherwise it is looking pretty darned good now!

-= N =-
post #2853 of 2853 Old 12-16-2013, 08:42 PM

My Sony SXRD recently developed what I would describe as a shadow. It's most obvious on dark objects on a light background (text on a white screen it the worst) but it seems that the display is generating a duplicate shifted image to the left of the main image. Is this a convergence issue? Any chance this could be adjusted easily? I think older CRT projectors had this issue as they age. Any chance I can fix this without spending any money?
Reply Rear Projection Units

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page