Sony KDF-55/60XS955 owners thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2853 Old 02-09-2005, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
here is where owners or prospective owners can post questions about these units.

pictures, specs, tweaking, opinions, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2853 Old 02-09-2005, 04:38 PM

Are you asking where you can find the owner's thread, or are you looking to start a new one?

Given that the one that already exists has been viewed nearly a quarter of a million times, I'd say we stick with that one. If you're looking for it, it's at:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...14#post5153714
post #3 of 2853 Old 02-09-2005, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

are you guys in the states getting free matching Sony stands with your XS955s? i didn't notice the promo on the www.sony.com site.

in Canada, the promo has been on since the new year. i got the SU-GW12 stand for free (a $1200 value up here) with my 60XS. those in Canada or state side close to the border may consider this in your buying decision. retailers will deliver it with the TV and they get reinbursed by Sony.

check out www.sony.ca under promotions
post #4 of 2853 Old 02-09-2005, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

sorry guys didn't know what GWIV stood for.

saw threads everywhere for the XS. thought i'd bring it together.

see ya over there.
post #5 of 2853 Old 02-09-2005, 05:56 PM

Most the Wega threads have become hijacked with multiple tv's and other stuff being discussed.

It sure wouldnt be a bad idea to have a new thread dedicated to the XS alone.
post #6 of 2853 Old 02-09-2005, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

i find the GWIV thread is mostly WE and WF talk. i know the XS is similar but with the different inputs, different sound system, different casing, picture control, card slot, etc...its deserves its own thread. there are alot of various XS topics here and there, lark should know he responds in most of them.

anyway the thread is here if anyone wants to use it.

denver, did you get the free SU-GW12 stand with your unit? its a piece of art.
post #7 of 2853 Old 02-09-2005, 08:30 PM

I agree it would be nice to have our own thread specifically for the xs.

I do have a question for other owners. I have used the tweaks others have posted and I see what I thought was SSE. I now am almost sure it is the anti glare screen. When I freeze the picture and move it looks like it follows me and I noticed it is more horizontal than lateral. The more brighter I adj. to take away black crush the more I see it. I am wondering if others see this.

Also what are others using to hold down there sets. The Sony stand has the strap in back and I am trying to figure out how to hold it down.
post #8 of 2853 Old 02-09-2005, 11:21 PM

Quote:

[i]lark should know he responds in most of them. [/b]

This is the problem. There's too many already.

If we could get everyone to agree, or the admins to link an xs only in the faq, I wouldn't mind, although a very high percentage of the WE and WF info is helpful for the XS, so the single combined forum also makes sense to me. (For example, if you're wondering about the set's ability to decode unscrambled QAM without a cable card -- an issue that I tried to figure out today -- people's experience with the WE and WF is relevant.)

My set is relatively new, and I'm pretty lost without this forum in terms of trying to get the most out of it. Multiple threads start to get overwhelming.

On the question about the safety strap, I bought some flexible steel ribbon with holes in it, and looped it through the place on the back of the tv where the sony strap goes, and then I bolted that to my stand.
post #9 of 2853 Old 02-09-2005, 11:32 PM

I am currently looking to buy the 60xs955 what do you current owners think of this unit? The one question I have is will i be able to use the pip with my digital cable? going to upgrade to hd cable. currently i am unable to use my pip due to the cable box. also will i have burn in issues hooking up my game systems to this unit? (xbox & ps2)

thanks
post #10 of 2853 Old 02-10-2005, 06:47 AM

I just went from a 60WF655 to a 55XS955 so I welcome this thread. The XS series is definitely the better set. I especially like the live color and gamma corrector adjustments.

Chronos, I had a problem with the SSE also with the 60WF655. It was the only thing I didnt like about it. I almost gave up on the Sony because of it. I see it much less on the 55XS955 probably due to the smaller screen which I was hoping for. The SSE is definitely from the screen material. If you look at the screen while its off facing it perpendicular you can see the speckly looking screen.
post #11 of 2853 Old 02-10-2005, 10:02 AM

Hello:
I'm finally shopping for a new television! Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the Sony WF and XS series. I can only find a difference in the number of inputs ( 1 more HDMI and 1 more composite and S-video). $400 seems like a big difference for these inputs.
post #12 of 2853 Old 02-10-2005, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

chronos,
lark has a good solution to the strap issue. one other option might be to see if you can order the strap from Sony as a replacement part. shouldn't be expensive.

fgags,
i love my set for manys reasons. no regrets whatsoever. the PIP is very impressive. each window is infinately sizeable and audio from either selected window. the PIP will accept one HD signal, the other window can be any other non-HD source. there are NO burn issues with this unit.

i like the fact that any of the video sources (there are 9 of them) can be independantly adjusted for PQ. that way you can customize your DVD, cable box, vcr, etc all differently. nice
post #13 of 2853 Old 02-10-2005, 01:06 PM

I have a 55XS955 and does anyone know how to check for Lamp hours on this set? I got in the service menu from help with the other thread but from there I couldn't figure it out. Any help would be appreciated. I've had this TV for a few months now and I love it. Seem's like the picture gets better every time I watch it.

Thank's
post #14 of 2853 Old 02-10-2005, 03:25 PM

55XS955 owner. I'd prefer we stay with one GWIV thread as their is much similarity. c-ya.
post #15 of 2853 Old 02-10-2005, 05:56 PM

BenK
Thanks for confirming it is the screen material. I love the this set and about 90-95% of the time I don't see it. I only see it on sd and especially sattelite stations more often than not. Last night I used PIP and resized it to about my old 32" tv size and it was alot better not once did I see SSE and I sit 12' back.

wideamg
Thanks I will try Sony to see if I can get a replacement part.

Lark
Thanks for your idea I may try that if I can't use wideamg. A question though what made you decide on flexible steel ribbon, instead of nylon strap?
post #16 of 2853 Old 02-10-2005, 06:25 PM

Hey guys, I'm a proud owner of a 60WF655 and I'm detecting a bit of an elitist attitude with the "XS" owners.

The only difference in the sets are one extra HDMI input, a couple of user settings and some funky front speakers.

We should be one big happy GWIV family and everyone should benefit and contribute to these discussions.
post #17 of 2853 Old 02-10-2005, 07:06 PM

garymil
I don't think anyone is trying to be an elitist here. It is just that there is a subtle difference between the WE/WF series and the XS. I had a question that pertains to the XS and looked all over this forum. I did eventually find it, it was just a pain. Oh and by the way I still read the GWIV thread.
post #18 of 2853 Old 02-10-2005, 10:06 PM

I for one think the XS series deserves it's own thread for things pertaining specifically to the differences of the series. For example, I am an avid reader of the GWIV owner's thread and the GWIV tweaks thread, but there wasn't a lot of advice about XS settings anywhere. Most folks posting in those threads have the outstanding WE and WF TVs. I want XS info.
post #19 of 2853 Old 02-10-2005, 11:35 PM

looking at buying one of these sets. can anyone tell me the difference between the 55 & 60. is it just size or is there a pq difference. just wondering if the 60 is actually worth the extra cash or if i should just go with the 55.
post #20 of 2853 Old 02-11-2005, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:

Originally posted by fgags
looking at buying one of these sets. can anyone tell me the difference between the 55 & 60. is it just size or is there a pq difference. just wondering if the 60 is actually worth the extra cash or if i should just go with the 55.

I believe they are identical except for screen size.

It comes down to viewing distance- for a larger room go with the 60. I got the 60 in December and I love watching TV again! It was a tough decision, but I decided if I spent a little extra money I wouldn't be thinking down the road "if only I had gone for the 60..."

Sub-1080p/60fps is not next-gen.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming? Click here.
post #21 of 2853 Old 02-11-2005, 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by DaverJ
I believe they are identical except for screen size.

It comes down to viewing distance- for a larger room go with the 60. I got the 60 in December and I love watching TV again! It was a tough decision, but I decided if I spent a little extra money I wouldn't be thinking down the road "if only I had gone for the 60..."

DaverJ, how far do you sit?

fgags, I would say if you sit farther than 10' get the 60". The bigger you go the more you magnify the good AND bad. I sit 10' from the screen and for me the 60" was too big. I liked the screen size but the picture quality suffered. The 55" is much better although I wish I could of kept the 60".
post #22 of 2853 Old 02-11-2005, 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by garymil
Hey guys, I'm a proud owner of a 60WF655 and I'm detecting a bit of an elitist attitude with the "XS" owners.

Funny, I got the same impression.

Sony has always been good at adding features (or perhaps, allowing access to them) on various models. You just have to decide if the extra cost is worth it......
post #23 of 2853 Old 02-11-2005, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't understand what the problem is with starting a "XS" specific thread. The GWIV thread is an awesome thread, but it is mostly related to the WF/WE series TVs. There are differences between the sets, so I think a separate thread is a good idea. It's not like the GWIV thread is losing readers or popularity...geez guys, don't seem so threatened.

Jason

Custom Built For The Win!
post #24 of 2853 Old 02-11-2005, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

As an aside, I don't think there's anything elitist about talking about a specific TV. It's a different TV and that's it. Nobody's putting down the WE or WF by discussing the XS, nor do I even see a lot of comparing of the sets.

Jason

Custom Built For The Win!
post #25 of 2853 Old 02-11-2005, 06:29 AM

I had a lamp failure on my 60XS955. The unit was bought around November 1,2004. Anyone else have to replace a lamp?
post #26 of 2853 Old 02-11-2005, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by garymil

The only difference in the sets are one extra HDMI input, a couple of user settings and some funky front speakers.

Well, I have to tell you, with those "couple" (actually 6 or so) Advanced Video settings, I can almost always make the XS955 look better than the WF655 in the stores. For someone who doesn't want to risk exploring the Service Menu, that alone is worth the cost difference.

Plus, as has been noted before, some of the WE655/WF655 Service Menu adjustments do not apply to the XS955. It is getting to be a bit confusing trying to determine which of the Service Menu adjustments reported in the GWIV thread apply to the XS955.

Michael
post #27 of 2853 Old 02-11-2005, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Marker
I had a lamp failure on my 60XS955. The unit was bought around November 1,2004. Anyone else have to replace a lamp?

Not yet, but do realize that Sony warrants the original lamp on the XS955s for one year. Be sure to call them or your dealer to get your free replacement.

Michael
post #28 of 2853 Old 02-11-2005, 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by NoPlasmaYet
Funny, I got the same impression.

Sony has always been good at adding features (or perhaps, allowing access to them) on various models. You just have to decide if the extra cost is worth it......

No elitist attitude here. Just different tv's. But I believe if the XS series was the same price as the WE/WF most people if not everyone would get the XS series. Thats if of course they were looking for a 55" or 60" and the extra size from the speakers wasnt a problem.
post #29 of 2853 Old 02-11-2005, 07:00 AM

I'm curious to what everyones advanced menu settings are. Specifically live color, detail enhancement, black corrector and gamma corrector.
post #30 of 2853 Old 02-11-2005, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:

Originally posted by BenK
I'm curious to what everyones advanced menu settings are. Specifically live color, detail enhancement, black corrector and gamma corrector.

There's a Live Color demo mode that splits the screen showing the left side as LC off and the right as LC on. I would bet most people would struggle figuring out which side they liked better, if at all. It's only really noticeable in something like golf, with a lot of green grass and blue sky. I think I have mine set to off.

Anyone here think Live Color is worth anything?

Sub-1080p/60fps is not next-gen.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming? Click here.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page