TV Guide On Screen - post your info here! - Page 67 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Is your TV Guide On Screen working?
YES. All the channels and all the program listings load 207 28.43%
Sort of. All the channels load but the program listings are incomplete. 152 20.88%
Barely. Some or all of the channels load but no program listings at all 84 11.54%
NO. Channels do not even load. 285 39.15%
Voters: 728. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-02-2008, 07:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by neck3609 View Post

I have an LG 26LX1D that the TVGOS has completely disappeared on. When I enter the TVGOS, all I get is a blank screen with the current channel in the upper left hand corner.

This was the exact symptom I had on my LG 32LX1D, about 18 months ago. It was diagnosed as a failure of the main tuner board. LG said that the part was on "indefinite back order" and they had no estimate of availability for the part. I was still (just barely) under warranty and after a lot of haggling on the phone, LG was able to locate a new unit in their warehouse (this model was no longer in stores), which they shipped to me. The replacement unit has been reasonably OK since then, with no problems with TVGOS. However, it is now occasionally demonstrating some tuner oddities (e.g., losing a memorized channel every so often) so I'm not too optimistic about overall longevity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2008, 08:49 AM

Looking thru many post it appears the problem may be that their tv/tivo/device may have run into the same problem I went thru. My LG 50PX4DR has TV Guide on Screen and I am using a CableCard...however I noticed that recently my channel listing all disappeared ... after much search.. I've learn that my TV like many others has a older version of TVGOS which looks for ANALOG station with the TV guide signal imbedded within it (Traditionally PBS) and since I'm using digital cable and my local cable provider (Time Warner) is preparing for the digital switch over for the Feb 2009 deadline ... they also changed the signal for the analog channel that older TV Guide on Screens use. Now I'm wondering if its possible to upgrade to the newest TVGOS version 9 which accepts listings via digital???? tvguideonscreen.com/resources
Old 07-10-2008, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdavidt View Post

Looking thru many post it appears the problem may be that their tv/tivo/device may have run into the same problem I went thru. My LG 50PX4DR has TV Guide on Screen and I am using a CableCard...however I noticed that recently my channel listing all disappeared ... after much search.. I've learn that my TV like many others has a older version of TVGOS which looks for ANALOG station with the TV guide signal imbedded within it (Traditionally PBS) and since I'm using digital cable and my local cable provider (Time Warner) is preparing for the digital switch over for the Feb 2009 deadline ... they also changed the signal for the analog channel that older TV Guide on Screens use. Now I'm wondering if its possible to upgrade to the newest TVGOS version 9 which accepts listings via digital???? tvguideonscreen.com/resources

I have FIOS and a Pioneer 5080HD with TVGOS. I'm missing only certain channels, for example, Discovery HD. Isn't that a full digital channel? Is there a analog version of that?

I'd love it if I could upgrade to the latest TVGOS and will be monitoring this thread if someone has some info.

Thanks,

26kick
Old 07-14-2008, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26kick View Post

I have FIOS and a Pioneer 5080HD with TVGOS. I'm missing only certain channels, for example, Discovery HD. Isn't that a full digital channel? Is there a analog version of that?

I'd love it if I could upgrade to the latest TVGOS and will be monitoring this thread if someone has some info.

Thanks,

26kick

I also have FIOS & 5080 and I have Discovery HD listed in my TVGOS (it's listed as "DSCHD" in my channel map) . I'm in the Philly suburbs . I have a different problem today, I now have "No Listing" for every channel for today and every day in the future. Anyone else in the philly area finding this?
Old 07-14-2008, 07:46 PM

Interesting, that we have the same gear and service and you have what I'm missing. As far as your "no listing" today, nothing has changed for me. It's probably a local issue.

One question though, are you missing any channels? Or do you have all of them in TV Guide?

Thanks
Old 07-14-2008, 08:55 PM

Yes, my TVGOS is missing some channels that I'm aware of (Wealth TV for ex) but I don't think it's too many. I noticed last week that all of a sudden MHD was listed (and a couple of other new channels) , I went into the Channel Setup and sure enough there were a couple of channels at the very bottom that were never there before. Not sure what triggers a channel to all of a sudden appear in the channel lineup for TVGOS
Old 07-14-2008, 08:58 PM

I wish there was someone (company) we could turn to for tech support on this. Pioneer doesn't know the system very well and there's no getting ahold of TVGOS.

Best of luck!
Old 07-15-2008, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paoli Dad View Post

I have a different problem today, I now have "No Listing" for every channel for today and every day in the future. Anyone else in the philly area finding this?

I had that problem a month or so ago.

What channel are you using for TVGOS?

I have a DVR with TVGOS that uses WHYY-12 (my cable ch 21), and a TV with TVGOS that uses WPHL-17 (my cable ch 4) (or is it WTXF-29 (my cable ch 5) ). I am not too sure why each picks a different station, but they do.

Anyway, my DVR had the "No Listing" for every channel one morning. I panicked first, and then tried a full TVGOS reset. That worked. I started to get listings again.

Just as a guess, I think my original lineup stopped being supported by the data stream. With a TVGOS reset, I got to pick a lineup that was still being supported, even though to me, it didn't seem all that different.

The only problem was, that I had spent hours with the original lineup, sorting all the channels by number. After this, they were back to the "scrambled" order, and I just don't have the patients to go back and re-sort them again.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:32 AM

My TV also picks it up from channel 12. I'm getting it over the air via an antenna in the ANT B input because FIOS doesn't pass the TVGOS data. So posibly a broadcast issue or signal strength issue...or just a sudden quirk in the TV.
I'll try a full reset if i can figure out how to do that.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:46 PM

WaltA, Do you happen to know if your DVR is still using WHYY ch 12 as your TVGOS Host? Following full reset my TVGOS status is still trying to find a host station, even though my Ch 12 reception is no worse than before. I was wondering if maybe Ch 12 stopped broadcasting TVGOS and if your DVR happened to switch to pick it up from ch 17 or 29. I'm using rabbit ears and get zero reception of 17 or 29 , but if i knew for sure i could pick it up on those i'd invest in a better antenna
Old 07-28-2008, 12:53 PM

Liked: 11
As support seems to be defunct for this product, at least for the Samsung users, is anyone willing to help me over AIM with understanding where my problem lies?

Basically I don't get the grid and instead I get "There is no data for this screen". I had guide data for the past couple of years until they switched out the analog and digital PCB boards.

When going into the diagnostic menu, I never seem to get any data in the slicing info (all 0's everywhere), and the host channel is always blank.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM22681 View Post

As support seems to be defunct for this product, at least for the Samsung users, is anyone willing to help me over AIM with understanding where my problem lies?

Basically I don't get the grid and instead I get "There is no data for this screen". I had guide data for the past couple of years until they switched out the analog and digital PCB boards.

When going into the diagnostic menu, I never seem to get any data in the slicing info (all 0's everywhere), and the host channel is always blank.

sounds like you dont have access to a host channel. are you using cable or air?
Old 07-30-2008, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipnotiq View Post

sounds like you dont have access to a host channel. are you using cable or air?

I am using both Cable and Air.

My host channel is blank, and always has been since the board was replaced. The VBI channel seems to change from time to time and is in a format of 0:0-## (where ## is 2 numbers).

The other thing that seems odd is that in "Section Setup-Input Configuration" it lists 0 as RF-CABLE, and 1 as RF-AIR where many folks in this thread are referring to their RF-CABLE as 1. I'm not sure if that matters though!!

This worked for years, but then a number of things changed:

1.) Samsung replaced the Digital and Analog boards in my TV because of a problem.
2.) Comcast changed from an old CableCard to one of the newer Motorola M-Cards.
3.) Comcast has been moving channels from analog to digital, but to my knowledge I still have PBS on channel 2, and there is this odd channel 97 that doesn't display anything but appears to be a PBS feed.

Since all these things changed at once, I'm not even sure where to begin! I've done all the silly resets that TV Guide On-Screen has to offer, even one that Samsung told me that wasn't listed here (a modified reset it appeared...code 653214741)

Any feedback would be appreciated!!
Old 07-31-2008, 07:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 167
How about just using the OTA channel as the feed?

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
JM22681 -

When Comcast went to a full digital overlay in my area they programed the cablecards to show an analogue version of the local PBS station on channel 98 so TVGOS users could still get their data. The channel 97 PBS station is probably an analogue feed and the only place you can get the TVGOS data over the cable.

When Comcast first went to the digital overlay they did not have the channel 98 analogue version of PBS and I switched to OTA to get my TVGOS data. As I remember there is somewhere that I had to tell the TVGOS setup that I wanted both Cable and OTA channels. Otherwise it would not look to the OTA feed for any TVGOS data. It has been over a year and I have since switched back to the cable feed (ch 98) so I can't remember the exact selection that I had to make but it is something to keep in mind.

Hope that helps
Old 07-31-2008, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paw Paw View Post

JM22681 -

When Comcast went to a full digital overlay in my area they programed the cablecards to show an analogue version of the local PBS station on channel 98 so TVGOS users could still get their data. The channel 97 PBS station is probably an analogue feed and the only place you can get the TVGOS data over the cable.

When Comcast first went to the digital overlay they did not have the channel 98 analogue version of PBS and I switched to OTA to get my TVGOS data. As I remember there is somewhere that I had to tell the TVGOS setup that I wanted both Cable and OTA channels. Otherwise it would not look to the OTA feed for any TVGOS data. It has been over a year and I have since switched back to the cable feed (ch 98) so I can't remember the exact selection that I had to make but it is something to keep in mind.

Hope that helps

I agree, I think it definitely has something to do with getting TVGOS to see my channel 97 feed. I think I've tried everything though...I've tried setting the VBI to it using that 963214785 code but it doesn't seem to work.

Please let me know if anyone has something I can try...
Old 07-31-2008, 07:50 PM

Do you have channel 97 set as 'active' in the channel list? If not, the TVGOS will not find it as a VBI channel.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbertram View Post

Do you have channel 97 set as 'active' in the channel list? If not, the TVGOS will not find it as a VBI channel.

Yup, I do. I'm wondering if there might be something wrong with the local Boston PBS affiliate and for whatever reason they are not broadcasting guide info.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed_in_tx View Post

I've been fussing with the TV Guide that's in my new Sony TV for a week now. I am on OTA antenna only. I set up the TV a month ago when I bought it and all seemed OK then. Now on some of my channels I have out of town channel ID and info in their place along with incorrect program descriptions. The TV Guide seems to override the PSIP data that is sent out by the individual channels. When I tune to local Ch5 an NBC affiliate the Info banner says "KENS CBS" KENS 5 CBS is in San Antonio. I am in Dallas. Another one - Tune to Ch4 should be KDFW 4 Fox, but the info says KAMR (Amarillo) NBC! I have tried setting it up again a couple of times and the Zip Code is definitely entered in properly. Anyone else have erroneous listings?

Exactly the same problem here. Not only is the guide listing out of town channels and replacing those over my PSIP ID'd ones, when I scroll through channels, many are labeled wrong. The mislabeled channels don't even match what's in the guide half the time. This TV has some major bug with the guide system.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Yep it does not work properly. I tried editing the list and saving it, only to have it changed next day, or sometimes not saving properly when I would get everything like I wanted it. Total waste of time. I reset the TV and skipped the TV Guide setup at least the current program and channel shows properly but that's it.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:29 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

During the last couple of weeks, I lost my TV guide feature on my Panasonic HDTV, due to Host Channel not found. After fiddling with it for hours, I gave up and called Buckeye tech support. It turns out that PBS channel 99 (my host channel) converted to a digital signal and the interface with Buckeye is now messed up. I'm told the enginners are working on it, with no timeframe given. Pretty sad. I assume others are having the same problem. Let me know.

Thanks

Jim
Old 08-26-2008, 03:08 PM

I have ota antenna and direct cable hookup for tvgos.I always thought that a "0" before the colon in host chaannel denotes ota.I just bareley have whyy 12,ota for guide.I thought ,but it it says channel 50 .I don't even have a 50 on ota,I do on the direct cable .Can someone figure this out for me.I,d like to take down my ota antenna and go with staight cable and uhf antenna???Heres a picture of that screen.Thanks in advance. ps I hope this picture
LL
Old 09-11-2008, 09:53 PM

Hello everyone. I came across an interesting piece of information. I get the feeling that someone may have noticed this before, but if not, I'll share.

I recently switched over from Comcast Cable to FIOS. Love the all digital picture quality on all the channels. However, after installing the Verizon CableCard, I ran into an obstacle. Where am I going to get VBI data for my DGH-HDD500 ? There are no analog channels.

But after accessing the factory service menus, and going through the channels one-by-one I had a eureka moment. I didn't need an analog channel. The VBI data is also sent via the local PBS/KYW digital channels in digital format. And since FIOS simply rebroadcasts these channels, the VBI data should be intact. I verified this assumption via one of the factory service test screens

So I forced my VBI channel to the Digital WHYY station, and will be leaving the unit off overnight, to pull in the listings. I'll see what happens in 24hrs. Wish me luck.

------
Sony(I hate sony) DHG-HDD500
Old 09-12-2008, 07:51 AM

grindsmygears , good luck! I've never been able to receive tvgos data via fios on my Pio tv . I was receiving it fine using rabbit ears on my antenna b ( from whyy ) but that stopped a couple months back. I'm guessing whyy changed or stopped their analog broadcasting of the data causing me to no longer be able to receive it ota.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindsmygears View Post

Hello everyone. I came across an interesting piece of information. I get the feeling that someone may have noticed this before, but if not, I'll share.

I recently switched over from Comcast Cable to FIOS. Love the all digital picture quality on all the channels. However, after installing the Verizon CableCard, I ran into an obstacle. Where am I going to get VBI data for my DGH-HDD500 ? There are no analog channels.

But after accessing the factory service menus, and going through the channels one-by-one I had a eureka moment. I didn't need an analog channel. The VBI data is also sent via the local PBS/KYW digital channels in digital format. And since FIOS simply rebroadcasts these channels, the VBI data should be intact. I verified this assumption via one of the factory service test screens

So I forced my VBI channel to the Digital WHYY station, and will be leaving the unit off overnight, to pull in the listings. I'll see what happens in 24hrs. Wish me luck.

There's been a lot of interest and discussion on the topic of receiving TVGOS listings data from a digital host channel on the Sony DHG thread. Please be sure to cross-post your findings over there.

You should also check a new forum specific to the DHG and consider posting your findings there, too.
Old 09-17-2008, 02:18 AM

Hey All:

Its seems that I am no longer receiving TVGOS updates. I'm in the Hartford, CT area. Just checking if anyone else is having the same issue of No listings?

Thanks
-paul;
Old 09-17-2008, 01:02 PM

No listings since 25 July. TVGOS (I managed to catch them on the phone) says they know there's a problem in this area (Redlands, CA)...but no info from them on what the problem is and if they intend to fix it.

Shenzie
Old 10-18-2008, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

I just caught one of those ads over on the left corner of the TVGOS listing display, from all places, TVGOS itself. It referred users of TVGOS to their webpage http://www.tvgos.com/dtv for info on TVGOS and DTV.

Their website now contains lots of information about getting analog TVGOS to work, after conversion to DTV. It all apparently rides on whether equipment used in getting the signal to your TVGOS device supports spec SCTE 127 2007 (aka "Carriage of Vertical Blanking Interval (VBI) Data in North American Digital Television Bitstreams").

It even allow one to look up your local cable system to see if it is known, yet, if it does indeed support SCTE 127. Plus it lists digital STB's which are known to support SCTE 127. If the analog stations still carried by your cable company support SCTE 127, you will be OK. If the analog output from your digital STB supports SCTE 127, you will be OK.

If you get over-the-air digital channels, then you need a STB box which supports SCTE 127, which happens to be the DTVpal box talked about extensively in another forum here at AVSforum.

Plus, after years of silence, there is even a TVGOS customer support email address, where you can ask for help.

Things do appear to be better than I had hoped!
Old 10-18-2008, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltA View Post

I just caught one of those ads over on the left corner of the TVGOS listing display, from all places, TVGOS itself. It referred users of TVGOS to their webpage http://wwww.TVGOS.com/DTV for info on TVGOS and DTV.

Their website now contains lots of information about getting analog TVGOS to work, after conversion to DTV. It all apparently rides on whether equipment used in getting the signal to your TVGOS device supports spec SCTE 127 2007 (aka "Carriage of Vertical Blanking Interval (VBI) Data in North American Digital Television Bitstreams").

It even allow one to look up your local cable system to see if it is known, yet, if it does indeed support SCTE 127. Plus it lists digital STB's which are known to support SCTE 127. If the analog stations still carried by your cable company support SCTE 127, you will be OK. If the analog output from your digital STB supports SCTE 127, you will be OK.

If you get over-the-air digital channels, then you need a STB box which supports SCTE 127, which happens to be the DTVpal box talked about extensively in another forum here at AVSforum.

Plus, after years of silence, there is even a TVGOS customer support email address, where you can ask for help.

Things do appear to be better than I had hoped!

Site seems down right now?
Old 10-18-2008, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM22681 View Post

Site seems down right now?

Sorry, too many w's.

Try this ... http://www.tvgos.com/dtv