TV Guide On Screen - post your info here! - Page 75 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: Is your TV Guide On Screen working?
YES. All the channels and all the program listings load 207 28.43%
Sort of. All the channels load but the program listings are incomplete. 152 20.88%
Barely. Some or all of the channels load but no program listings at all 84 11.54%
NO. Channels do not even load. 285 39.15%
Voters: 728. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-07-2009, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Anyone ever have their OTA channel listings disappear for no apparent reason??
I'm talking about even in the "Edit channels" mode, all of the OTA entries have been removed. Only the cable choices remain.

Just as one would only choose cable TV only in the setup choices with NO antenna connected.

Free, abundant OTA television separates this country from many others. ATSC1 has only been in force since 2009. The wireless industry has enough spectrum. Enough of 'planned obsolesce'.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2009, 10:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

I'm talking about even in the "Edit channels" mode, all of the OTA entries have been removed. Only the cable choices remain.

Just as one would only choose cable TV only in the setup choices with NO antenna connected.

And may I add only the Qam Channel list, no CableCard list?

Gregg
Old 03-07-2009, 11:28 AM

Liked: 10
February 17th I also lost my host and VBI channel when the local ETV station shut down their analog signal. I have a cable card in my DHG-HDD250 and at that point I had several years of trouble free use. As of February 17th I lost all digital channels both cable and OTA. I ran the G* test and it failed everytime and reset the cable card with no luck. I'm affraid to power it down or do a complete reset that I might lost my clock which also came from the same ETV station. I do have it plugged into a battery backup. My closest CBS station is in Savannah, Ga and I spoke with their engineer and he knew nothing about the TVGOS guide. I then called Macrovision and spoke with one of their engineer's, he going to work on the guide for this area. How long that will take no one knows. I can still use it by doing manual recordings and recording only analog signals but in the meantime would like to get my digital ones back if possible. I would pleased like to hear from you with a suggestions. My question, is it normal to lost digital channels when losting the guide?

Thanks,
Eddie

Old 03-07-2009, 07:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie39 View Post

February 17th I also lost my host and VBI channel when the local ETV station shut down their analog signal. I have a cable card in my DHG-HDD250 and at that point I had several years of trouble free use. As of February 17th I lost all digital channels both cable and OTA. I ran the G* test and it failed everytime and reset the cable card with no luck. I'm affraid to power it down or do a complete reset that I might lost my clock which also came from the same ETV station. I do have it plugged into a battery backup. My closest CBS station is in Savannah, Ga and I spoke with their engineer and he knew nothing about the TVGOS guide. I then called Macrovision and spoke with one of their engineer's, he going to work on the guide for this area. How long that will take no one knows. I can still use it by doing manual recordings and recording only analog signals but in the meantime would like to get my digital ones back if possible. I would pleased like to hear from you with a suggestions. My question, is it normal to lost digital channels when losting the guide?

Thanks,
Eddie

The Sony DHG users are over here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...37711&page=475
Old 03-08-2009, 07:17 AM

Quote:
And may I add only the Qam Channel list, no CableCard list?

Huh??

Free, abundant OTA television separates this country from many others. ATSC1 has only been in force since 2009. The wireless industry has enough spectrum. Enough of 'planned obsolesce'.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwall23 View Post

The Sony DHG users are over here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...37711&page=475

Yes I know and if you look over there at post #14219 you will see my post there too. By the way, no one has answered yet. Would you like too? Oh, my question was about the guide too.

Eddie
Old 03-08-2009, 08:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes I know and if you look over there at post #14219 you will see my post there too. By the way, no one has answered yet. Would you like too? Oh, my question was about the guide too.

Eddie

Did you lose digital channels both OTA & cable? Can you manually tune to a digital OTA channel? If it's cable only, I would pull the cable card and reinsert it. If it's both OTA & cable I would ask a DHG user if they know what kind of reset would fix it.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks,
Eddie

Just thought of something. Rescan the OTA and/or cable channels on the DHG.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:20 AM
tc1
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
"My question, is it normal to lost digital channels when losting the guide?"

I only lost the guide. Nothing else changed and still no guide.

HTPC With OTA only, HD with Surround is so AWESOME!
Old 03-10-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwall23 View Post

Just thought of something. Rescan the OTA and/or cable channels on the DHG.

I have reset the cable card by removing and reinstalling it. I have done a rescan, no good. I can manually enter a digital channel but it tell me "no signal". All analog channels are ok.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

VideoBruce, I lost all my over the air digital channels from the guide too. All cable channels are there and good. I have notice that the OTA digital channels are in the guide but listed with the cable setting. I can not change the cable setting on these channels to "air" like I can do with any other channel.
Old 03-14-2009, 11:38 AM

My listings went dark Wednesday, March 18, after getting the last refresh data some days earlier. At least Lost was a rerun

Five minutes ago I got off the phone with a tech at TWCable who didn't have anything to add to the TVGOS discussion, though he has had some calls about certain TIVO models. I asked him to please check in with the station, WFMY-2, that is listed as the digital host at rabbitears.info. I've tried scanning that as the host using the instructions here and on spiffy, but no dice, and I lost my clock as a result, not that it was a surprise. I left my # with the tech, so hopefully if he gets any bites, I'll have more to post.

Meanwhile, a question. For the past 18 months or so, my TV and DVR have picked up the local HD stations on different channels than TW claims I should. All the official channels are 500 and above, but I get them in on x.x channels starting at 89.4. WFMY-2 comes in on 113.1. It's never been a problem before, but presumably I was on an analog station lower down before. Any chance this discrepancy in the way the tuner sorts things out is going to bite me? For that matter, any idea how that's happening? It's that way on my TV's own tuner, both being Sony devices.
Old 03-14-2009, 12:05 PM

This is new to me I really dont know what to do? Can anyone help?I would like to know about guide plus and this new digital tv. My guide has quit working for 4 months are so now can one help out there that knows what i can do to get my guide plus to start loading
Old 03-15-2009, 09:03 AM

Quote:
I have notice that the OTA digital channels are in the guide but listed with the cable setting. I can not change the cable setting on these channels to "air" like I can do with any other channel.

Are these channels that had duplicate listings, one for CATV and another for OTA?

Old 03-15-2009, 10:39 AM

Hey Bruce Can u help Im new at this forum can u direct me to what u are talk about local thread. How do you get to a local thread?
Old 03-15-2009, 10:52 AM

Go to the "Local HDTV Info and Reception" and look up whichever market you are in.

Old 03-16-2009, 06:12 AM

Please post your link to the Mitsubishi Expander you speak about in your post. I have seen this document but I cannot remember where??

THANKS!
Robin
Old 03-16-2009, 08:23 AM

Bruce, No, they are listed as 10-1, 10-2, 10-3 etc.... They used to show up as "air" and I pulled them in with my antenna. I still get the channels with the antenna but in the guide they are now listed as 10-1, 10-2, etc.... but listed under "cable" and can not be edited.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:44 AM

Are there non active duplicates in your channel list that can be substituted (in the edit menu)?

Old 03-16-2009, 10:21 AM

nope, i have been through the list a few times and they aren't there. They disappeared in Oct/Nov when my guide went out for a couple weeks. Once i started getting it again no OVA channels.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:44 PM

Well, it's nothing to do with my previous post, but I connected an antenna to my Sony HDD500 and did a full scan and it picked up a host. A few channels populated when the clock got around to the time it wanted, and the clock is now correct. Here's the interesting part. According to rabbitears.info, it should be the local CBS affiliate that is carrying the digital TVGOS info. My host is the OTA analog from Fox 8, where a certain very valuable member here works.

Anyway, for Greensboro TVGOS owners, try WGHP 8 OTA as a host. I'll post tomorrow if the info doesn't populate.

Update: No new listings today, but that may be my fault. I got all impatient and edited the channel listings, though I was careful to leave Fox 8 alone. Incidentally, does anybody know if I have to leave it in the channel rotation, or just on the Guide? I'd rather not have to click to Antenna at all while channel surfing. Still hopeful my listings will fill out tonight.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:27 PM

Lost TVGOS somewhere around week of March 8. Last listings on my Pioneer 533-H were for Wednesday March 18. Have contacted Time Warner Cable, PBS, CBS and Macrovision with no luck so far. However I did receive the following email from TV Guide Customer Care today. Should I be nervously excited that they might actually fix this or pessimistic because others have received the same response with lots of promises but no action?

----- Forwarded Message ----
To:
Sent: Monday, March 23, 2009 12:47:38 PM
Subject: GBA 29 TV Guide System Has Stopped Working [Incident: 090318-000181]

Recently you requested personal assistance from our on-line support
center. Below is a summary of your request and our response.

We will assume your issue has been resolved if we do not hear from you
within 48 hours.

Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.

Subject
---------------------------------------------------------------
GBA 29 TV Guide System Has Stopped Working

Discussion Thread
---------------------------------------------------------------
Response (Peter) - 03/23/2009 01:47 PM
We are working with the cable companies to pass the data. Attached is a document that will guide you to collect diagnostics. Please do this and send it back to us.

What cable company do you have? What is the setup? Cable Box, Cable Card or Cable Ready?

TV.Guide.V8.Diagnostics.ATSC.doc 29.5k . file
Attached Files
File Type: doc TV.Guide.V8.Diagnostics.ATSC.doc (29.5 KB, 57 views)
Old 03-24-2009, 10:08 AM

I am also in the KCMO area and lost all TVGOS listings. I am only using OTA signals for TVGOS, so does this mean that only by using a cable service that the TVGOS will be available? I am going to try the steps in the document (TV.Guide.V8.Diagnostics.ATSC.doc), and can provide details if required so that we can get TVGOS back to working in KCMO. One question, what zip code are you currently using in KCMO?
Old 03-24-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twb311 View Post

(snipped)

Very interesting, twb311. I'd like to fill that form out and send it in with my initial e-mail. Where did you get the address?

Currently I'm without listings except the tail end of some listings for WGN and VH1C that filled in on 2/17. I find that very strange, btw. Has anybody else had the experience of one or two stations filling in, but no more?
Old 03-24-2009, 09:40 PM

Here is an update from my PBS affiliate. Yea!!!

----- Forwarded Message ----
To:
Sent: Tuesday, March 24, 2009 5:21:18 PM
Subject: TV Guide

Todd,

There was an equipment problem in our facility. The guide should be working now. Let me know if there is still a problem.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:43 PM

Anyone else having problems with TVGOS in Baltimore? I'm using Comcast.

Anyone know where to find the station which is supposed to be carrying TVGOS on Comcast in Balto?

tnx
jtm
Old 03-27-2009, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Miller View Post

Anyone else having problems with TVGOS in Baltimore? I'm using Comcast.

Anyone know where to find the station which is supposed to be carrying TVGOS on Comcast in Balto?

tnx
jtm

Try WJZ -- It is Channel 13 OTA but I do not know where Comcast puts it in Baltimore. I think their clock is still on EST, not DST. But I am getting channel listings now. And yes, there have been problems.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:05 AM

evernight: I am in Greensboro also and have lost TVGOS. I have been corresponding with Time Warner Cable and UNC-TV. The engineer at TWC (Terry Cross) told me they used to get the signal from channel 26, the UNC-TV station in Winston-Salem, and that channel 26 had a technical problem on their end with no estimated time to repair. Mr. Cross also told me that TWC is testing with WFMY and that they plan to start carrying the TVGOS signal from WFMY sometime in April. The person at UNC-TV (Marc Erickson) confirmed that their contract to carry the signal is ended and referred me to the rabbitears.info URL that confirms that WFMY is supposed to be carrying the signal.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will12 View Post

evernight: I am in Greensboro also and have lost TVGOS. I have been corresponding with Time Warner Cable and UNC-TV. The engineer at TWC (Terry Cross) told me they used to get the signal from channel 26, the UNC-TV station in Winston-Salem, and that channel 26 had a technical problem on their end with no estimated time to repair. Mr. Cross also told me that TWC is testing with WFMY and that they plan to start carrying the TVGOS signal from WFMY sometime in April. The person at UNC-TV (Marc Erickson) confirmed that their contract to carry the signal is ended and referred me to the rabbitears.info URL that confirms that WFMY is supposed to be carrying the signal.

well this might explain my problem for the last few days: I get data via UNC-TV which is carried analog on CHARTER CABLE here in Anderson SC.

I hope UNC-TV or SCTV PBS or maybe CBS can get this worked out quickly so data starts flowing again! I'm about ready to stream my media center PC to my xbox!!
Old 03-31-2009, 10:56 AM

Here is a newer email I got from the Chief Engineer (retired) at UNC-TV on 03/31/09:
Technical Response, Ticket # 10494
The TVGOS data (originally Gemstar) now Macrovision that was transmitted over WUNL-TV's analog broadcast in your area was suspended several weeks ago. The data comes to the transmitter site via phone line. The TVGOS folks (Macrovision) that supply the data to the PBS stations did not have telephone line service scheduled beyond the original analog shutoff date of February 17. They have restored service in some markets but not in the Triad on WUNL-TV Winston-Salem so that service has been off for some time.
Further, UNC-TV has notified the TV Guide (Macrovision) folks that UNC-TV is suspending carriage of the TV Guide data at all transmitter sites beginning April 1. There are many reasons for this and the primary reason is as we switch the cable companies over to digital service, this TVGOS data is not available on our digital broadcast.

If you receive TVGOS on cable, with analog equipment, there is a possibility that TWC will be putting the data on the WFMY signal as WFMY has agreed to carry and broadcast this data on their digital signal. If your equipment receives the TVGOS data over-the-air with an antenna, then this service will completely end when analog broadcasting ends June 12.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement