==>>The Official JVC - DILA - Z/Gx86 Owners Thread<<== - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 3767 Old 04-11-2005, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I wouldnt say it isnt there, and i havent tried test pattens, but I definitely noticed it on a Discovery HD show, and not at all on multiple dvds.

I agree though, it should be there for everything. I will be spending more time on that tonight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 3767 Old 04-11-2005, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
hifiaudio2:

Could you watch a snippet of a DVD with the player set to progressive, and then again with the player progressive turned off? This would tell us, assuming there is any difference at all, if the player or the TV is better at converting to progressive.

CA report seems weird- I'm with Kid Red. I thought it would always be there, if at all. Maybe with the lower rez of the DVD source, it somehow washes out. Less defined. I'm grasping.

I'll check the same things tomorrow - when MINE shows up. I have a delivery slot of noon to four! I almost drove up today to get it myself. I called to ensure they knew it's an inside the threshold delivery. The guy said "of course" and said it meant they would put it just inside the front door, and that there would be two guys there to do it.

My plan is to check the following and post results:
1. Checking NTSC & ATSC OTA, satellite SD, DVD and (gasp!) VHS images for quick and dirty impressions.
2. Freeze framing to check for CA- up close and at 12' (my normal viewing distance).
3. Hook up laptop to VGA input and check for usefulness of laptop word processing, web surfing and display of video snips from the HD. Just for the heck of it, I might play a VCD and DVD in the laptop to check results.
4. Check for blotches- areas of uneven color across the screen.
5. Check for color banding.
6. Examine black levels with different material. Matrix, MIB, Star Wars, etc. I'll do a most thorough job, it'll be tough but somebody's got to do it.
7. Check for stuck or dead pixels or other defects.
8. Make snapshots for posting.
9. Try to get closeup images of any defects, for posting.
10. Compare abilities of JVC TV & JVC 5 disc DVD player in converting to progressive.
11. Compare OTA tuner sensitivity to sensitivity of ATI HDTV Wonder in HTPC- and later, to the LG LST-4200A (an ATSC STB), when it arrives later this week.
12. Do more extensive testing when my DVE disc shows up. It appears the amazing dot com people have shipped it via millipede.

No satellite HD yet. I'm waiting until after the May announcement and after getting a better idea of the MPEG-4 phase in, and HD availability.

Does anyone care to add to this list? Things to look for and report?

Reunite Pangea!
post #93 of 3767 Old 04-11-2005, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

I am intested in getting Colorfacts for calibration. Can someone tell me the codes for the older JVC to test if they work on this set?
post #94 of 3767 Old 04-11-2005, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Personally I think one of the only ways to reliably test a TV is to look at it's DVD performance. There are so many other variables with other sources that I sometime wonder what people are watching when they write reviews and mention artifacting and other issues. Compression does strange and terrible things to a signal... Compression on each channel is not the same...

My 2 cents.
post #95 of 3767 Old 04-11-2005, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

navychop- looks about everything. I look forward to your report.

As for the 61", is it the same size as the old 61" If so, can we assume the 52" will be the same size as the old as well?
post #96 of 3767 Old 04-11-2005, 03:50 PM

how do the built in tuners in these tvs compare with the stb ones out there? i have had a samsung 160 and humax hfa100, are they better than them? do built in tuners handle multipath well? and weaker signals? are the tuners in the new ones new tuners or the ones from before? well, i suppose the last ones didnt have tuners but i am just trying to find out if i should sell my humax and trust that the built in is good, i hope so because then i have a free hdmi spot
post #97 of 3767 Old 04-11-2005, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

The new 52" models have a "G" in the model number, the old ones had a "Z." This indicates different bezels, and hence, different sizes. But not necessarily by much.

Reunite Pangea!
post #98 of 3767 Old 04-11-2005, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

swenjj-

I hope to have an answer for you shortly. Tomorrow I'll know roughly how it compares to the ATI HDTV Wonder. Later, I'll compare reception percentages. Later this week I'll be able to compare it to the LG STB (4200).

I figure the built in tuner eliminates a need for a second HDMI, because BD is expected to have firewire. So my sat box can use the HDMI- when I move up to an HD sat box.

Reunite Pangea!
post #99 of 3767 Old 04-11-2005, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Disappointing feedback or lack thereof.

In comparisons, I've spent months on the Plasma Forum and Qualia and when reviewing threads on Quality plasma TV's it's regular to get "Jaw Dropping" "Awesome" and other hightened adjectives that run on for dozens of pages and a few checks for perhaps a panel Buzz, or NEC IR but the rest of the threads give detailed reviews of PQ and blacks and it appears this thread focuses on past problematic history of the JVC units which is not a glowing testimonial comparatively what Pio/Panny/Fujitsu Plasma or Qualia Units receive. It appears the input is related to looking for problems and yet we've yet to see anyone rave about how great they are at all.

Sorry, don't mean to offend anyone but this certainly doesn't make me want to buy one, nothing in these 5 pages equals a very glowing testimonial at all. I guess now I'll switch over to the Samsung 68 series or new Samsung plasma's debuting next month.

I wish the PB folks well but we sure don't see much to make anyone else here commit. Good Luck Navychop and JVCer's.

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
post #100 of 3767 Old 04-11-2005, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

I have some shots I just took in between my 4 month old crying...I will try to upload or someone can shoot me an email and i will send to them...

Not sure if they show much since I just had my canon a85 on auto - but we will see...
post #101 of 3767 Old 04-11-2005, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Well - I have never seen a plasma that I liked, and I am very happy with this unit....
post #102 of 3767 Old 04-11-2005, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

This pics turned out OK, if anything they make the problems look worse, but it will give you a worst case scenario....only a few of the test patterns made the issues visible. Someone will have to give me an email to send to though, I dont have the time to try to figure out how to get them in the forum.
post #103 of 3767 Old 04-11-2005, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by AkaStp
westa6969, your ongoing comments about disappointing/lack of feedback aren't very motivating. Apparently only a handful of TVA power-buyers have actually received their new set (one was DOA). It could take weeks for a representative sample of new owners to get their sets, check them out, tweak them and post their impressions. So come on, give these guys a break (they've probably got important things like work, family, etc to deal with also) and be patient. I'm sure it won't be long before we're buried in first impressions and reviews.

Agreed.

Gotta' admit I thought this was pretty evident to anyone that had followed this thread. I guess the buzz is so great that people are posting on it like mad even though there's very little news.

I still think it would be a good idea to start a new one once the reviews start coming. If any are left on this thread, they could easily be copied and pasted.
post #104 of 3767 Old 04-11-2005, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I noted a few days ago in the JVC Power Buy thread that most of the people getting the first shipments were new to the forum. So I anticipated that there was a good chance they would not be subjecting their sets to the most rigorous tests.

We've waited this long, we can wait another week or two to get more comprehensive viewpoints.
post #105 of 3767 Old 04-11-2005, 07:08 PM

the one person said it was the most filmlike he has seen on an hdtv, that sounds pretty good to me, just what i want
post #106 of 3767 Old 04-11-2005, 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by HistoneMaster
Which stand are you using, the old RK-CILA5S stand, the new (and so far unseen) RK-CILAM6 listed in the product brochure, or the one you can get with the powerbuy (not from JVC)?

Since you guys were talking about not having seen the New JVC STAND, I did a google search and found the stand in stock for the JVC HD61Z886 and the JVC HD70Z886. The Stand for the JVC HD61Z886 goes for $349.00 and the stand for the JVC HD70Z886 goes for $499.00. Unfortunately, they only have the picture for the JVC HD61Z886 stand.

JVC HD61Z886 stand is RKCILAM6
JVC HD70Z886 stand is RKCILAL6

The website for the stands is:

http://www.onecall.com/About_0000100...05_0_3_0_0.htm

Samsung PN63A650
X-BOX 360
Onkyo TX NR1000S
Aperion Audio 7.1 Setup:
533-PT's, 522D-VAC, 522D Bookshelves, 522D-SS Dipole/Bipole, Intimus S-12 Subwoofer
post #107 of 3767 Old 04-12-2005, 06:00 AM

Thanks for the heads up. Interesting, they are using a single stand for both the black and silver models. It looks like the legs are silver and the actual base is black, but I like the old stand better (I'm glad to hear it works with the new units).

I know some people are getting frustrated with this thread, but why dont we continue to use it for general questions and comments about the new models for another week or two until a few solid reviews come up, then we can make a new thread and cut/paste the usefull information so people dont have to sift through 6 or 7 pages of filler between reviews.

Doug
post #108 of 3767 Old 04-12-2005, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by navychop
The new 52" models have a "G" in the model number, the old ones had a "Z." This indicates different bezels, and hence, different sizes. But not necessarily by much.

Well, different bezel could be the same size, the newer model will of course have the new letter in the model name. I'm just curious what size difference, if any, there between the new and old 61" as it may be a hint to the possible changes in the 52".
post #109 of 3767 Old 04-12-2005, 06:54 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
I'm also interested in seeing more reviews as people get their sets.

navychop:

Any chance I could get a look at your set since we're both in NoVA? I can help you get it in the house and on the stand if needed. I guess you'll be getting it this afternoon, I should be available all day but the earlier the better for me. I've also got the Avia DVD if you want to use it for initial setup.

I'm in Vienna, send me an email to james.clark@cox.net, include you phone number if you want and I'll call or I'll reply with my phone numbers.

Jim
post #110 of 3767 Old 04-12-2005, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

done.

Reunite Pangea!
post #111 of 3767 Old 04-12-2005, 07:40 AM

navychop, when did you expect to get yours in? today wasnt it?

mine should be in tommorrow, would it make sense to dve tweak it right away or just use it for a couple days and do it on the weakend?

hopefully this time my tv is in usable condition
post #112 of 3767 Old 04-12-2005, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

It's HERE!

Reunite Pangea!
post #113 of 3767 Old 04-12-2005, 09:05 AM

Quote:

It's HERE!

good deal, it will be nice to hear from a regular on this,

navy what other tv's have you had? just wondering what you will have to sort of compare it to,

of course, most likely you wont read this for a while because you are playing with the new toy
post #114 of 3767 Old 04-12-2005, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm waiting on JC to arrive to help heft it.

I don't recommend doing any serious cal (DVE/Avia) until after 50-100 hours are on the bulb. Of course, I'm no expert, I'm just parroting what I've read from others here.

I currently watch -gotta go, he's here.

Reunite Pangea!
post #115 of 3767 Old 04-12-2005, 11:57 AM

Can't wait to hear the report.
post #116 of 3767 Old 04-12-2005, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

No satellite HD yet. I'm waiting until after the May announcement and after getting a better idea of the MPEG-4 phase in, and HD availability.

I must be out of the loop. To which May announcement do you refer?
Also, to add one more thing to your checklist: can you report back on fan noise? Loud enough to hear during a dialogue-based scene on TV or DVD?

I want to eat your brains and gain your knowledge.
post #117 of 3767 Old 04-12-2005, 12:42 PM

It's here!!! My 61Z786 has arrived

Let me first say thanks to the delivery guy from our local Global. Not only did he get it inside the house, he helped carry it down in the basement and onto the stand (which is a Z-Line from Circuit City). He said it was the second DILA delivery for him today.

I got it plugged in, and let me tell you, this thing is fantastic. Absolutely Stunning!! I am no expert at this since this is my first HDTV, the only other TV's I have are the 32" CRT variety.

I haven't had much time to play with it. The wife and kids wanted to see it in action, so I hooked up the JVC progressive DVD player via component and popped in Shreck 2. They have taken over my TV!!

I really don't have to much to report at this time other than I do not regret this purchase at all.

I'm in the process of hooking up an OTA antenna in the attic. Need to get it done for American Idol (wife) and House (me) tonight. I will see how well the built in tuner does. I have DirecTV, but no HD. I am waiting for the Home Media Center from them due out this fall or next year or whenever.

Some little things to report:

Fan noise is not an issue for us. Even during low volume in the movie, it can barely be heard. A whole lot less the sitting next a computer, thats for sure.

Does not appear to have any CA, but then again this is only the watching the DVD so far. I don't have DVE, but plan on getting it.

The black cabinet looks great!

Colors are vibrant and uniform. No hint of splotches or banding. Blacks also appear uniform, neutral and free of hot spots or glow. I will have to try some more DVD's to get a better feel on this.

That is it for now. I will try and report back later with some pictures and other impressions.

Thanks to all at AVSForum for the comments on the JVC and others. I have made a wise choice!

Cheers!
post #118 of 3767 Old 04-12-2005, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow, keep the reviews coming!!

Navy!! Hurry up and report back.
post #119 of 3767 Old 04-12-2005, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member