post #1621 of 3767 Old 09-25-2005, 11:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by hookem12 View Post

Not necessarily. G and Z are cabinet models, they have nothing to do with the rest of the TV. For example the newer 61s are Z models and dont offer the G at all

The 500's are old and the 700s and 800s are new (700s black, 800s silver)

insert foot in mouth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 3767 Old 09-25-2005, 11:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
WWOOOHOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

HELL YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well Hurricane Rita came and went in Houston, so I decided that, damnit, I DESERVE that HDTV that I've been waiting years for. So after reading these forums for about 6 hours last night and then touring the local Fry's and Best Buy's today, I FINALLY made a purchase.

Originally, I was set on DLP seeing that all the recent reviews seem to rave about it, and I was intent on the Samsung 50" DLP. However, after reading horror story after horror story about the lag it experiences in gaming, I started to cry (not really, but I wanted to). The next unit that I "decided" on was the Sony A10. Again, nothing but glowing reviews...but I was still not satisfied for some reason. So on I read. Then I finally stumbled upon these JVC HD-ILA displays w/ LCoS. I had YET to ready ANYTHING on LCoS other than no one really uses them, so I immediatly wrote the JVC off. But after reading more and more about it, it sounded more and more like exactly what I was wanting.

So today I headed off the do the HDTV rounds at the local stores. And fortunatly, the Best Buy I went to not only had ALL 3 models I was seriously considering on display...they were RIGHT next to each other (along with every other major HDTV I could have considered). Now, I'm quite the anal person and I enjoy taking my time...but as soon as I saw these displays next to each other in the same lighting conditions, it really wasn't any competition.

No, I didn't see the rainbow on the DLPs. And no, I didn't see the screen door effect on the LCD RP's. So that had no bearing on my decision. What I did see was Pure Joy emitted from the JVC HD-52G786. To my taste, NO OTHER HDTV in the entire place (and they had ALOT of them on display) came close to the saturation and color that the JVC produced. Now, bear in mind that I've always prefered a vivid, saturated picture as opossed to something that is dead-on accurate w/perfect skin tone. Now this is NOT to say that the JVC produces skin tones and neutral colors that are overblown, I just find them much more "alive".

Well, I ended up fighting the price down with the BB salesman from $2500 to $2100 with a free stand (and no extended warrenty.../pat_on_back). I called my 2 other HDTV owning friends and called them over to help me carry it in and set it up. And now, sadly for them, they're rather convinced that I have purchased the greatest looking HDTV they've ever seen and have since made their own home HDTV experience somewhat "lacking" . Good.

However, my wife was rather upset as soon as she saw it's size. How, you ask, did I win her over in 5 minutes and convert her to the new 'JVC elated' status? It only took 5 minutes of 'A Bug's Life' and she was in awe.

So I guess, I'm just writing this to let you guys know that you have another EXTREMELY satisfied JVC HD-LIA user to add to the list.

I do have a couple questions though:
1. How long do these bulbs last and how much do the cost to repair?
2. Can these sets suffer from a burn-in?
3. I have not done ANY kind of changes in the setup menu. Are there settings that every JVC D-ILA owner should change? What, if anything, should be looked at here?

Thanks!

And here's a pic w/my Athena AS-F2.2's:

XBOX - Hyperplasia | PS4 - Hyperplasia
post #1623 of 3767 Old 09-26-2005, 12:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Stangs,

Congrats. I also have my towers next to the 52g886 like yours. For your preferences, I believe you'll be a happy camper.

1) Average bulb life is 6,000 hours per JVC. Debated whether that means viewed hours or not. Could last a year or more, could last months. Cost ~$200 for a new one.

2) No burn in, but may show image retention that goes away.

3) Not sure. I fiddled for a week and ended up with color -2, picture -5, brightness -10, detail -1. all fancy modes off except for color management. Connected to STB via hdmi/dvi. Found this sharper than component.

BTW-I was in Houston on business a few weeks ago (during first hurricane). Loved the hot weather!
post #1624 of 3767 Old 09-26-2005, 12:52 AM
GLX

Liked: 10
Stangs55: More pics! I always love the pics!!!
post #1625 of 3767 Old 09-26-2005, 12:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz01 View Post

Stangs,

Congrats. I also have my towers next to the 52g886 like yours. For your preferences, I believe you'll be a happy camper.

1) Average bulb life is 6,000 hours per JVC. Debated whether that means viewed hours or not. Could last a year or more, could last months.

2) Cost ~$200 for a new one.

3) No burn in, but may show image retention that goes away.

4) Not sure. I fiddled for a week and ended up with color-2, picture-5, brightness -10, detail -1. all fancy modes off except for color management. Connected to STB via hdmi/dvi. Found this sharper than component.

Thanks for the input .

I'm now in the proccess of pressing the 'Buy' button on a Panasonic S77S DVD player to up convert my movies. Does anyone have any experience w/this player and the D-ILA's? I've read some glowing reviews on the S77S, but I just wanted to make sure it complimented the JVC as well. Is there another player at this price point ($200) that you'd recommend?

Sadly, the single HDMI port on the JVC is already limiting me seeing that my HD cable box is currently taking it up. That leaves my DVD player w/component video. Will I be able to tell a difference between the HDMI and my $100 component cables for DVD's?

post #1626 of 3767 Old 09-26-2005, 05:33 AM

Liked: 11
Thanks for the comments and suggestions, guys. I've pretty much nailed it to the 56" -- at least that way I'm sure I'll avoid a case of BSSR (buyer's screen-size remorse).

Great pix Stangs55. The JVC looks as clean as I thought it would, and I love the Athena towers. They compliment the JVC very nicely!

-bruce
post #1627 of 3767 Old 09-26-2005, 07:37 AM

Ok, I wanted to wait through the weekend before I wrote up my summation of my thoughts on the JVC and my journey that put it in my living room.

As most know, I started wanting Sammy 1080p but it had horrible latency issues as did all of the other newer DLPs. I tested and retested and was always let down by the latency. I then felt happy and purchased the 50 Sony A10. I had this set for the full 30 days before returning it to get the JVC. I think the A10 has a lot going for it but the extra boost pushing me was that I really wanted a 55 to 58 TV and the 50 A10 felt a bit small from 11 feet away because I previously had a Pioneer Elite 610 (58). In the end it cost me an extra $100 to change because I had to pay to deliver the Sony and then have them pick it up. I'm in a wheelchair so I just couldn't move it. Maybe tie it to the back and wheel it to the store but I don't think they would take it with the bottom completely rubbed off. Anyway, after spending all of this time I figured I would discuss some of the main things I noticed.

1. The Sony A10 had micro blocking (digital chunks too big too be pixels but not huge). After discussing this issue I thought it was pretty much a problem all of the newer digital sets had with average to below average video feed. The JVC proved me wrong. SD and crappy HD (upconverted junk OTA during non prime time) looked soft instead of blocky. Personally I prefer soft WAY over the micro blocking and SSE.
2. The A10 had some SDE and the JVC has none that I see. To be honest this isn't a big issue to me because I didn't notice SDE past 4' or 5' from the A10. I guess I mention this just in case it was an issue for someone else.
3. Great HD looks phenomenal on the JVC. I thought the prime time HD shows looked good on the A10 and feared what I would see on a TV that was 6 larger but the JVC really looks awesome. The colors are bright and the image is stable. I couldn't be much happier.
4. Black level Some talk bad about the black level on the JVC but it is one of the other key reasons I switched from the A10 to the G series JVC. I thought the A10 was good with the iris turned on but I was going to be bumping up to the A20 55 and it doesn't have the iris technology which leaves it with a worse black level. The JVC might not match the black level in the DLPs but it is right behind it. I will say that I have to turn the brightness up a bit for Games after playing DVDs because I like Halo 2 to have more brightness so I can see everything clear on some of the darker maps.
5. DVD playback. The black level was important here and I feel it gives the edge over the Sony A10. After setting the detail to -30 I was happy. Anything other than this produced too much grain for me. With the TV set up with Avia I was surprised to see how close the settings were to being right on (other than detail/sharpness). I think I have picture to -6 to -8 but the others are within +2 or -2 of zero.
6. Lastly, this TV has the best screen of any that I've seen yet. The light reflections are at a minimum. I am really pleased. I have light that peeks in the front door through the window built in the door. I have it covered slightly but it still lets some through. With the Sony and my older Elite it was easily spotted on the screen but not so with the JVC. This was a pleasant surprise that I did not expect.

So, thank God that I am happy with this TV. I didn't want to think about having to return it to TV Authority. I bought their extended warranty package for like $329 but it includes 3 years bulb replacement and with the problems I've read here I didn't want to take a chance. Considering the price at their site I was pleased. At this point I'm VERY happy with the 56 JVC for DVD, gaming, SD, and HD. This has been the most well rounded TV that I've seen yet in my search for a TV that would be ok for gaming as well as everything else. The only complaint I really have is the lack of inputs. I wish they had one more component or even better, another HDMI input. The future of electronics will have me purchasing some sort of HDMI switch or something I'm sure. OH, one other minor complaint. This set has an even steeper angle to the back of it than the A10 and the omni mount won't work because the legs aren't long enough. Right now I have my center channel speaker in front of the TV (good thing there is room) and I will have to build something or make something bulk up the back of the TV so the mount will work. What is a guy to do?
post #1628 of 3767 Old 09-26-2005, 08:32 AM

Thanks Kainan and Stangs55 for posting your experiences.

I travelled a different road but ended up at the same place, I also bought a JVCHD-56G886.

I have an Infocus 4805 DLP projector for DVD and I am very satisfied with it. However with the DLP projector, I have to clean the filters and inspect and clean the mirrors every250 hrs. With a rotating part I do not feel that comfortable about the maintenance aspect of the DLP TV.

In addition, I want a bright picture since our living room has several windows and is kind of bright even with the blinds drawn.

So what I was left with was LCD and LCOS. LCD is positioned by Sony to be the low cost technology. LCD will probaly go the way of the CRT if the pundits are to be believed.

With that in mind, I just want the best picture for my eyes and for my environment.

My finalists are the Sony E60A20 and the JVC 56G886. Frankly, we visited several stores in our area. The JVC impresses us more. YMMV.

What takes us more time to decide was the fact that several people reported light engine failure for the Z series after 3-6 month span. I am hoping this TV will last at least 3-5 years and the G series had all the fixes.

Of course there is also the fact that JVC is coming out momentarily with the new 1080P series and Sony SXRD is also hitting the stores, abeit at a higher costs.

The rationale (1. Fundamental reasons; the basis. 2. An exposition of principles or reasons.) for me to go with the series G TV was that I do not have to have the best and the latest. I have been wanting a dual core AMD X2 upgrade but the price is not to my liking in addition, my Venice AMD is providing all the speed and power I need at the moment. So may be next year then!!!

So with that leap of faith we jumped the gun and ordered the JVC.

post #1629 of 3767 Old 09-26-2005, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Stang, DEFINITELY look into the Oppo Digital dvd upconverting dvd player. It's at your price point and bests many other players costing much more.
post #1630 of 3767 Old 09-26-2005, 12:48 PM

I've heard the Oppo doesn't upconvert via Component, if thats the case, it wont help Stang if he keeps his HD Box on the HDMI.
post #1631 of 3767 Old 09-26-2005, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

those were some rave reviews of jvc sets, you MUST try the appleseed dvd.

get the grayscale calibrated, mine was done this weekend and it was worth every penny, the calibrator only adjusted the r g b drives. even after digging the net for days for other peoples r g b drive settings and trying them out the tech still made adjustments but they werent far off from the borrowed settings, i cant remember the settings right now but i will post later, we lost power due to rita tornado
post #1632 of 3767 Old 09-26-2005, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

i cant remember the settings right now but i will post later, we lost power due to rita tornado

Sorry about the power outage bro. Thanks in advance for posting them. Does the TV not reset after the power goes out? That would suck huh?
post #1633 of 3767 Old 09-26-2005, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

the settings are stored in the set, i just have no power at home to look at them. i am at work now with power and a/c.
post #1634 of 3767 Old 09-26-2005, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

those were some rave reviews of jvc sets, you MUST try the appleseed dvd.

get the grayscale calibrated, mine was done this weekend and it was worth every penny, the calibrator only adjusted the r g b drives. even after digging the net for days for other peoples r g b drive settings and trying them out the tech still made adjustments but they werent far off from the borrowed settings, i cant remember the settings right now but i will post later, we lost power due to rita tornado

Yea I would LOVE to know exactly what settings he used. I'm in medical school right now, so I reaaallllly can't afford to pay someone to come out and calibrate it. But I would really appreciate any advice on what could be changed to imporve PQ.

post #1635 of 3767 Old 09-26-2005, 01:50 PM

I have a new JVC HD-52G786 TV and having a problem. I have a Samsung upscaling DVD player connected via HDMI to the TV. My old surround sound receiver bit it when I first got my TV and I finally got a replacement... unfortunately it doesn't do DVI/HDMI switching, only component. Anyway, I originally thought that with the DVD player connected to the TV via an HDMI connection, I was hoping that it would pass the digital audio via the Toslink digital audio output from the TV. This was NOT the case... it was outputing the tuner audio. To combat this, I connected the DVD player's coax digital audio output directly to the receiver, leaving the HDMI connection. This "worked", but I realized that the receiver was only outputting stereo PCM digital audio, not Dolby Digital or DTS. I went into the settings of the Samsung and changed the output from PCM to Bitstream. This fixed my audio problem... I now get either DD or DTS (depending on source), but the TV goes through a spell where there is flickering between static and screen resizing before the picture comes up. When the screen does come up, in the top left of the screen it says "HDMI Digital Audio not supported". WTF? I'm guessing that the TV is receiving DD or DTS audio, but can only "decode" PCM. Since I no longer need to get digital audio via HDMI, how do I tell the TV to ignore the digital audio? The BEST fix for me would obvioulsy be for the TV to PASS the digital bitstream coming from the HDMI to the toslink connector. Is there anyway to accomplish this?
post #1636 of 3767 Old 09-26-2005, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanc View Post

In addition, I want a bright picture since our living room has several windows and is kind of bright even with the blinds drawn.

Brightness is an understatement for this TV. I'm amazed this thing has the black level that it does considering the brightness. When testing with Avia on the brightness and contrast I thought I was looking into the sun when I turned it up to see just how bright it would get. You can tan in front of this thing. I'm guessing the DLPs are the same way.
post #1637 of 3767 Old 09-26-2005, 03:04 PM

Re: Samsung problem
Oh yes, the Samsung green flash curse! There are threads on this forum that have documented numerous complaints about the Samsungs causing green flashing screens, and "not supported" messages. This happens when you use HDMI and Bitstream. Apparently there is no solution.
With my 56G, I use the Samsung 941 which had the same problem, so now I just use upconverted component (using the hack).
esteps
post #1638 of 3767 Old 09-26-2005, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
When I calibrated my set with Avia recently, I had to set brightness to -16 according to the Avia settings. When I then played a DVD, it looked excellent, although I didn't watch a variety of scenes to check black levels since I normally watch DVD's with a front projection system. When I switched inputs and watched both SD and HD over the weekend, I found that the -16 brightness setting was crushing the blacks something awful. So I have the settings for brightness when using the other inputs at anywhere from 0 to +3, and it looks just fine. Has anybody else experienced this?
post #1639 of 3767 Old 09-26-2005, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

smitty, white level adjustment on these displays is tricky, it will take a few runs with avia and some viewing time to approach a happy medium, with dve and avia i gety around the same values for brightness and picture but still find that i need to back off the picture setting some more, my current brightness is -20 picture -15 and things look great, white crush is more of an issue than black crush and if not adjusted it will affect the black level. these controls are very closely related on dila sets and projectors.
post #1640 of 3767 Old 09-26-2005, 05:10 PM
Advanced Member

Can anyone that's seen the all black vs the silver model comment on which they prefer and why? I'm leaning towards the silver/black vs the all black. From the online pictures I'm not sure I care for the look of the all black.

Comments?

Thanks!

bradesp
post #1641 of 3767 Old 09-26-2005, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradesp View Post

Can anyone that's seen the all black vs the silver model comment on which they prefer and why? I'm leaning towards the silver/black vs the all black. From the online pictures I'm not sure I care for the look of the all black.

Comments?

Thanks!

bradesp

I debated as well, especially b/c my Athena speakers are black/silver. However, I ended up going with the all black to keep my eyes from being as distracted. In theory, I felt like it would frame the picture better w/an all black border. In the end though, this probably doesn't matter. Get whichever one looks better to you.

post #1642 of 3767 Old 09-26-2005, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteps View Post

Re: Samsung problem
Oh yes, the Samsung green flash curse! There are threads on this forum that have documented numerous complaints about the Samsungs causing green flashing screens, and "not supported" messages. This happens when you use HDMI and Bitstream. Apparently there is no solution.
With my 56G, I use the Samsung 941 which had the same problem, so now I just use upconverted component (using the hack).
esteps

Are you talking of the HDCP-free hack? Will it output 720P via component? If so, I may do that. I may then decide to connect the my Motorola 6412's (Comcast box) DVI output to the HDMI input instead. I currently have it plugged into one of the two component inputs on my receiver. If it will only output 480P, I may as well return the unit, as my older DVD player can do that and is a 5-disc changer.
post #1643 of 3767 Old 09-26-2005, 06:44 PM

Just a follow-up to my original post a week or so ago - I read somewhere in the thread that a tech suggested allowing the set to "break in" for about 100 hours. I've noticed that most of the issues I indicated in the first week or so have for the most part gone away (???).

I didn't really do anything different, and don't think my eyes are necessarily adjusting - but am pleased to say the picture just looks so much better. My father in-law was over yesterday after dropping $6k on a plasma - he's taking it back in favor of the JVC ILA.
post #1644 of 3767 Old 09-26-2005, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

after mine broke in it was most improved as well , i put more than a hundred hours on it the first week.
post #1645 of 3767 Old 09-26-2005, 09:10 PM

Yes, it is the HDCP hack, and it will output 720P or 1080i via component--your choice.
esteps

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigRoN View Post

Are you talking of the HDCP-free hack? Will it output 720P via component? If so, I may do that. I may then decide to connect the my Motorola 6412's (Comcast box) DVI output to the HDMI input instead. I currently have it plugged into one of the two component inputs on my receiver. If it will only output 480P, I may as well return the unit, as my older DVD player can do that and is a 5-disc changer.

post #1646 of 3767 Old 09-26-2005, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Brad,

I went with the silver black (52g886) for the same reason stangs went with all black. It just looked better with my stand and speakers. Go see it in person, it looks better (to me) than the internet pics.
post #1647 of 3767 Old 09-26-2005, 11:58 PM

First I don't want to start any rumors. My post is a question, I have never heard of an audio sync issue with the JVCs.

I know this is an owners thread, but any help would be appreciated.

I am struggling with my new Samsung and am planning on swapping it for a JVC.

Can anyone please verify that there are no audio sync issues running 480i to the TV with digital audio going to an external AV Receiver?

I have even seen audio sync issues with my DVD component with audio going to a separate receiver.

Sat SVid (480i)-->JVC
Audio (digital)-->surround sound reciever.

DVD Component 480p-->JVC
Audio (digital)-->surround sound receiver.

Thanks,
Bob

Bob Williamson
post #1648 of 3767 Old 09-27-2005, 12:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Williamson View Post

First I don't want to start any rumors. My post is a question, I have never heard of an audio sync issue with the JVCs.

I know this is an owners thread, but any help would be appreciated.

I am struggling with my new Samsung and am planning on swapping it for a JVC.

Can anyone please verify that there are no audio sync issues running 480i to the TV with digital audio going to an external AV Receiver?

I have even seen audio sync issues with my DVD component with audio going to a separate receiver.

Sat SVid (480i)-->JVC
Audio (digital)-->surround sound reciever.

DVD Component 480p-->JVC
Audio (digital)-->surround sound receiver.

Thanks,
Bob

None here.

I'm running HDMI from my Time Warner HD cable box -> TV. And a Digital Coaxial Audio Cable from the Cable Box -> Denon AVR-2105 reciever and I have absolutely NO lag. This was actually one of the very first things I checked when I hooked everything up b/c I expected that a slight lag would exist....but none did. Tonight, however, I found that the Tonight Show w/Jay Leno was just slightly off w/lip sync...I immediatly started to worry. So I switched to EVERY other HD channel I could find and carefully scruitinized the audio/video sync. Again, there was NO lag found on ANY other channel. I came to the conclusion that the problem didn't lie in my setup, but it was being sent to me this way.

hope this helps and good luck in your decision.

post #1649 of 3767 Old 09-27-2005, 07:12 AM

so last week when i got my 56" i was in heaven, but as i tweak the tv and get it looking better....

last nite i notice a green haze on the bottem right hand corner, only really shows up on a white image....like an old crt set with a speaker to close...i know thats not whats happening but that is what it looks like...

do u think i could have a faulty set? or is this inherent to all sets?
post #1650 of 3767 Old 09-27-2005, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

BALDheadedGRL- That's color fringing. If it bothers you, it will require a light engine replacement. If you decide you can't live with it, take some snap shots of the tv on, with no input (should be a light grey screen) that should show the fringing. Then, call JVC and tell them your set is developing color fringing in the corners, they'll ask you to email photos, and then arrange for a 30 minute tech visits swap out of light engines.

Do you have the Z series or the G series? I don't think I've read about this on the G series.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page