post #181 of 3767 Old 04-13-2005, 04:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by lorenzow
The manual says on page 87:

you know, i guess that explains why i cant find a front panel, doh!

my wife likes having the built in tuner, so you just turn it on and watch instead of having a separate box for tuning, half an hour until i watch my first hour show in hd on it, smallville, that should be pretty nice on this set, at least as long as the local wb bothers to put it on in hd-they are terrible at it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 3767 Old 04-13-2005, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Ok I have them on yahoo photos.

Two things:

How do I get a link to post here so everyone can see?

How can I make them visible in native 1600 x 1200?
post #183 of 3767 Old 04-13-2005, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by swenjj
you know, i guess that explains why i cant find a front panel, doh!

I envy you. You get to watch the TV and all I can do is read the lousy manual.

Larry
post #184 of 3767 Old 04-13-2005, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Lets see if this works:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=...b&x=0&y=dlqvat

It is test patterns only. I am just looking for some initial feedback. The red on the lines is mainly on the left side of the set.
post #185 of 3767 Old 04-13-2005, 05:17 PM

The purple and green bordering the white lines in photo 9/12 looks like chromatic aberration to me, but I'm no expert- just a newb.
post #186 of 3767 Old 04-13-2005, 06:28 PM

i watched smallville in hd, it looked ok , but had something to irritate me, some solid colors would really have a blotchy fade instead of smooth,
but i put in a dvd and it looked perfect, so it must be just the crappy signal from the WB like usual

side note, i am totally confused by DVE, but i have been up since 3 this morning, so maybe this weekend will work better and i can spend some time watching the whole thing, i thought it would step you through each test but it looks like they teach you everything then you just do it with the test signals

oh well, time to hit the sack for a few hours sleep before work i guess, this weekend the tv will get some major hours on it
post #187 of 3767 Old 04-13-2005, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
What was I thinking? It certainly DOES look better with gamma off.

I'm having trouble getting viewable closeups with the camera, but I'll try to post more pics tomorrow.

Reunite Pangea!
post #188 of 3767 Old 04-13-2005, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

BTW, we had a brief power outage tonight, more of a stutter, lights blinked, etc. Glad I had the DILA on an UPS.

Reunite Pangea!
post #189 of 3767 Old 04-13-2005, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Navy - please check my photos and comment...

Do you see anything that might be remedied by getting another unit from my brick and mortar? I have about another week on the return / exchange policy....
post #190 of 3767 Old 04-13-2005, 08:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:

Originally posted by Vikingmd
The purple and green bordering the white lines in photo 9/12 looks like chromatic aberration to me, but I'm no expert- just a newb.

Yep, your correct. You aren't a newbie anymore. So much for the CA problem being corrected with the new models!

hifiaudio2; where did the patterns come from? Who has the generator and what model?

I hope you have requested a exchange! That's one of th worst I have seen so far.

Realy not a good thing.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #191 of 3767 Old 04-13-2005, 08:44 PM

I stopped by HH Gregg today around 3:30 pm. They had the 61Z786 set up by itself. The list price on the TV was $3699 and they had it priced a little less than that (TV Authority has them beat by a couple hundred). It was receiving an HD feed OTA through it's own tuner. It was NOT in line with all the other TV's.

The cabinet is, of course, all black. I think it's slightly better looking than the 575/585 series (or is it the same?). There was no HUGE Dila sticker on it. It was mounted on the JVC stand, but I forgot to see if it was the old or new one.

Good timing for me, because the Atlanta Braves game was on TBS HD. It looked awesome!! The picture seems to be sharper than the 575/585 series. I noticed no CA, green glow, or anything abnormal There were, however, grey bars when the game was at commercial.

I asked the guy (who was a manager) to put in a DVD (they had a crappy Kenwood hooked up). The only DVD he had was some concert DVD and I can't remember who it was. The picture was OK, but not great. This DVD was from 2000. Seems likely that the quality of the DVD and the cameras the concert was recorded with were poor (or they didn't have the player outputting progressive). I'll have to take my own DVD next time.

I'll take a look at this model in a few other stores, but it looks like a winner! I'm waiting for the 52".
post #192 of 3767 Old 04-13-2005, 09:16 PM

videobruce the problem is that the CA could be from the camera taking the photos not the set. Hey, I try to be an optimist.
post #193 of 3767 Old 04-13-2005, 09:37 PM

navychop:

So are my CES comments accurate? Is the new set an improvement over last year's model?

Ken Golden
post #194 of 3767 Old 04-13-2005, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Originally posted by navychop
What was I thinking? It certainly DOES look better with gamma off.

> Did you get a chance to test the Digital Noise setting on Finding Nemo or The Incredibles?
post #195 of 3767 Old 04-13-2005, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
The color fringing in those photos may be CA, but it also looks like it could be misconvergence. Like the blue gun/beam could be shifted a bit.

Now if the lines were perfectly white in the center but showing color shifts on the edges, then CA could be the culprit.

If it were off due to misconvergence that would be a bear, as it is very difficult to realign these sets.
post #196 of 3767 Old 04-14-2005, 04:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:

Originally posted by Vikingmd
videobruce the problem is that the CA could be from the camera taking the photos not the set. Hey, I try to be an optimist.

My mistake about the exchange. I was responding to 3 posts and got one mixed up.
This is what I was referring to for the exchange;

http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=235649

That's no CA or camera problem that I ever saw before.

kfeltes; is that what you saw up close, that smear of color around text? To me, it sure looks as to be a terrible chroma delay issue. This was with a digital input? Could you try a VGA/component input and post a pic?

The CA issue was those pics that sure looked as CA;

http://www.kodakgallery.com/PhotoVie...id=46310074407

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #197 of 3767 Old 04-14-2005, 07:00 AM

Having had my 61Z786 for two days now and still trying to decide how best to utilize it. I have a couple of questions right off the bat.

1. I would like to use the TV's speaker for my center channel. I have a JVC receiver that has a coaxial preamp center channel and the TV has a coaxial connector for center channel. Is that how I'm to pull this off? I saw some options in the TV's setup menu about center channel but not sure if they really mean what I think they mean.

2. Even though the TV has a VGA port, and even though I could (and am at the moment) connect my HTPC to the TV via component. Is it possible to connect my HTPC via HDMI to the 61Z786? What is exact resolution and frequency I should be trying to match so the TV will recognize the signal?

Thanks
post #198 of 3767 Old 04-14-2005, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Originally posted by Havic
1. I would like to use the TV's speaker for my center channel. I have a JVC receiver that has a coaxial preamp center channel and the TV has a coaxial connector for center channel. Is that how I'm to pull this off? I saw some options in the TV's setup menu about center channel but not sure if they really mean what I think they mean.

> What kind of speakers are you using now? Unless they're terrible speakers, you should probably let your receiver create a phantom center from the left and right speaker. The TV makes quite a horrible center channel.
post #199 of 3767 Old 04-14-2005, 08:24 AM

Has anyone tried to get into the service menu on the new sets? I was wondering if it is the same remote key sequence as last years models.
post #200 of 3767 Old 04-14-2005, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

I didnt use a generator, those were just Video Essentials patterns.

So the concensus is that the problems are some that *might* be corrected by exchanging the set? I can still do so.......

I dont notice the misconvergence / CA on dvds practically at all.

THe only other issue: I do see a slight bowing of the images when displaying 4:3 material.
post #201 of 3767 Old 04-14-2005, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

I think I will ahve HH Gregg exchange it anyway.....

Those service codes would be great if anyone has them...
post #202 of 3767 Old 04-14-2005, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

I just called them and they want to send out a tech first - that should be a real adventure......

At least maybe I can get the service codes from him....
post #203 of 3767 Old 04-14-2005, 09:02 AM

Hello I have being following this thread because I am interested to buy the 61Z886/786.

To enter the Servive Manual of last year models follow this:

4. SERVICE MENU setting
Before entering the SERVICE MENU, confirm that the setting
of TV/CATV SW of the REMOTE CONTROL UNIT is at the
"TV" side and the setting of VCR/DVD SW of the REMOTE
CONTROL UNIT is at the "VCR" side. If the switches have not
been properly set, you cannot enter the SERVICE MENU.
1) Press [SLEEP TIMER] key and while the indication of
SLEEP TIMER 0 MIN is being displayed, press
[DISPLAY] key and [VIDEO STATUS] key (Fig.2)
simultaneously.
2) The SERVICE MENU screen of Fig.1 is displayed.
3) Verify what to set in the SERVICE MENU, and set
whatever is necessary (Fig.1).
Refer to the SERVICE ADJUSTMENT for setting.
4) Press the [BACK] key to return the SERVICE MENU.

Jorge
post #204 of 3767 Old 04-14-2005, 09:04 AM

"The CA issue was those pics that sure looked as CA;

http://www.kodakgallery.com/PhotoVi...oid=46310074407"

That's what I was referring to as well.
post #205 of 3767 Old 04-14-2005, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Havic:
"I would like to use the TV's speaker for my center channel. I have a JVC receiver that has a coaxial preamp center channel and the TV has a coaxial connector for center channel. Is that how I'm to pull this off? "

STOP! That is an RCA input- standard analog speaker connection, not a digital coax connection. You would connect your receiver's center channel out there. Read The Fine Manual, page 58. I think you'll decide not to use the TV as a center speaker. If you ever listen to surround sound music with the TV off, you won't hook up the TV as center speaker- it won't work w/TV off or without a video signal.

"Is it possible to connect my HTPC via HDMI to the 61Z786? "

JVC says no, no support. Others are doing this, or trying.

"What is exact resolution and frequency I should be trying to match so the TV will recognize the signal?"

Welcome to the bleeding edge and ALL the fun there is to be had as a pioneer!

I have connected my laptop using the VGA connector, set to 1024x768 @ 60 MHz. I'm quite happy with the results. The 4:3 ratio on the screen is fine and it is quite usable for word processing and surfing. I'll attach a word processing example below.

I have learned that my ability to take a closeup macro shot of the TV screen is somewhat lacking. I'll have to practice more to get usable shots. Plus, I currently have to angle the camera up a bit on it's tripod to take photos.

I'll sort thru and maybe post a few more, or learn how to get a very close up shot of the CA, if that's what it is. I must emphasize, it's only about a pixel or so wide and certainly is not visible while watching. I'll try to get a better focus. And some shots make the magenta on the screen look blue. And some shots show color artifacts that aren't there by eyeball.

It appears to me that the 4:3 image sides are bowed, so I checked with a straight edge. On my set at least, they are not bowed, it's my imagination.

Ken Golden, your review was dead on. Certainly a better set. And if the 1080s are even better, great. For those with the cash. If I waited for a 1080, I'd go with the 70" model for the size and memory card slots. And that, I figure, would cost me about twice what I paid for my 61Z786. I'll bet a 61" 1080 will cost $1200-$1500 more than my 61Z786.

I've done more comparisons of the JVC tuner and the ATI HDTV Wonder tuner in my HTPC. It seems the ATI is in fact the better tuner. I can sometimes pull in 30-1 & 30-2 on the ATI but not on the JVC. So far, I have never received either station on the JVC but not on the ATI. These are not stations I watch and are not always available anyway.

I'll try to get to answering other questions later on, maybe tonight.
LL

Reunite Pangea!
post #206 of 3767 Old 04-14-2005, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Havic
Having had my 61Z786 for two days now and still trying to decide how best to utilize it. I have a couple of questions right off the bat.

Thanks

Gotta' say I've never seen that before. A center channel input. Went to the JVC site... sure enough, it's there.

Why not try it? I would think your assumptions on how to pull it off are correct. Let us know how it works out.
post #207 of 3767 Old 04-14-2005, 09:56 AM

I bought the HD51Z585 from Brandsmart on December 15 and by the end of January they took it to repair shop because the Tech who came to my house could not fix the slightly rotation of the screen counterclock.
After two months they told me they exchange the light engine tree times and couldn't fix the problem, so I could exchange it for any other model or brand. Then again I start all the research again (very stressfull but exciting). By the time they have my JVC, I bought for a month a 44" DLP RPTV Toshiba, very nice, but the image was too dark for me, color too soft and the same pixalation I saw on my JVC on some channels also was on this set and worse, that means is the feefing that creates it and not the TV.
What is my conclusion, again back to JVC, call me crazy, but I beleive HD-ILA is the best RPTV, for the technology, size and picture for your money. Non of them (DLP,LCD,Plasma,LCOS) are perfect but these JVC sets, at this time, are very close.
That is why I am waiting for Brandsmart to get the new HD61Z886/786 to buy it (upgrading from 52" to 61"), why Brandsmart again?, because besides they have very hot prices and close to my house, they just made me a Credit on paper, I must exchange the TV with them.
I have the Service Manual of last year models, if some of you whan to access the Service Menu or twist even more (do not know if works for the new ones), please send me your email address.
Enjoy
Enjoy all of you that already have or are plam

Jorge
post #208 of 3767 Old 04-14-2005, 10:00 AM

navy, my first thought on seeing a 4x3 image was it looks bowed, i wonder why it looks like that?

it is straight though, just some weird illusion i guess
post #209 of 3767 Old 04-14-2005, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by navychop
I have connected my laptop using the VGA connector, set to 1024x768 @ 60 MHz. I'm quite happy with the results. The 4:3 ratio on the screen is fine and it is quite usable for word processing and surfing. I'll attach a word processing example below.

Navy, have you tried changing your aspect to full for the PC input? (manual page 75) If so, how well does it stretch? (ugly?)

I'm interested in buying this TV for playing PC games and I'm kind of disappointed to read that PC's normal aspect is 4:3.

Thanks,

Larry

Larry
post #210 of 3767 Old 04-14-2005, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

swenjj:
Yes, the shot looks bowed, camera was low and left of image, angled to screen. It does not look like that to my eyes. That's why I say I've got to learn how to take better and more accurate pictures.

lorenzow:
I think that IS the full mode setting. But now I'll have to check again tonight to see for sure, and try other settings. And maybe post more (misleading) pictures. The 4:3 is via VGA. This set only supports two settings, 1024x768 & 640x480 (I think).

Reunite Pangea!
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page