Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 4019 Old 05-16-2005, 11:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by AkaStp
Amazon (direct and thru OfficeDepot) has a great price on the HLR5067. Do a search on Amazon.com using "HLR5067WX"

That's unbelievably cheap!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 4019 Old 05-17-2005, 04:35 AM

mshap

I've done a little more research and your problem sounds all too common as explained in this link. http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/...ync_delay.html

I also found a not too expensive solution for those of us that want surround sound, without the lip sync issue and don't want to purchase a new surround sound processor. http://www.felston.com/dd540/

I don't understand why this problem isn't being discussed more often unless there is a simpler solution that I'm not aware of.
post #93 of 4019 Old 05-17-2005, 05:28 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked: 758
Where were those products a few years ago when I had my Sony receivers without an adjustable delay. Between my Denon and iScanHD, any audio delay problem can be fixed for me now.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #94 of 4019 Old 05-17-2005, 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by vandu
mshap

I've done a little more research and your problem sounds all too common as explained in this link. http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/...ync_delay.html

I also found a not too expensive solution for those of us that want surround sound, without the lip sync issue and don't want to purchase a new surround sound processor. http://www.felston.com/dd540/

I don't understand why this problem isn't being discussed more often unless there is a simpler solution that I'm not aware of.

Thanks Vandu.

You're right. I don't know why more companies aren't looking into this. I'm also surprised that more people aren't bringing this up. This can't just be a Samsung issue.

Of course a better solution would be for TWC/Scientific Atlanta to allow the 5.1 Dolby Digital to pass through the HDMI cable.

This might be a better question for the hardware forum, but does Direct TV's HD DVR's have the same limit with the HDMI cable?
post #95 of 4019 Old 05-17-2005, 08:06 AM

RE: The other lower price from Amazon-
It if for a HLR5067WX what is the significance of the X? Grey market? will repair master warrenty still be usable?

I see some sites call it the CE samsung HLR5067WX could it be destined for European sales channels?

There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots.
post #96 of 4019 Old 05-17-2005, 08:14 AM

I'm hoping to go to Abt this weekend and if I'm lucky see and buy an HLR4667. Considering what weekends are like there, I don't have high hopes of being able to play too much with the display model and certainly doubt I'll be able to pick what I want to watch on it.

My viewing on this tv will be SD Directv and a remotely mounted DVD changer fed through coax or analog video with the limit of my HD material being OTA for now.

How does SD material look on these sets? Any issues?

Also, placement will be in a large armoir style cabinet that is going to place the set a little high. Those who have it placed up higher, what is the height of the bottom of the screen (not tv) from the floor on yours? Mine will be roughly 4'.

How durable is the screen itself? I have an older Mitsu RPTV that withstood our little dog jumping on it. This set will likely see flying objects from our toddler at some point in time. Is it a glass screen? plastic? Any kind of screen protector on it? etc.

Thanks for your help.
post #97 of 4019 Old 05-17-2005, 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by joebar32
My viewing on this tv will be SD Directv and a remotely mounted DVD changer fed through coax or analog video with the limit of my HD material being OTA for now.

How does SD material look on these sets? Any issues?

Also, placement will be in a large armoir style cabinet that is going to place the set a little high. Those who have it placed up higher, what is the height of the bottom of the screen (not tv) from the floor on yours? Mine will be roughly 4'.

I've had about 4 days with my HLR4667W set up in a very similar manner. Standard Comcast SD channels are soft as expected, but very watchable. The 16x9 stretch mode works great and hardly noticeable.

DVDs from a progressive scan player over a component connection look great. Keep in mind that the quality of the DVD source is highly dependent on how the DVD was recorded. Newer British TV and major US movies tend to look better than television box sets.

I have my HLR about that same height. Seated 10-12' away the picture is perfect. Laying down on the couch, it's about 10% darker, but still very viewable. If you go to this thread, you can see photos of my installation. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=536582
post #98 of 4019 Old 05-17-2005, 08:59 AM

Thanks kjongsma,

Good to know. If you've got an 8' ceiling, mine will be right about there or a little lower.

I'd like to hook the dvd up with component since this will be the nicer tv in the house, but I (and the wife) don't want any components in the living room. I'm going to put all the components in the basement and feed things to the tv. If I can get the macros to run clean, I might feed the dvd into a vcr and send it through coax or buy a Leviton product to send analog thru cat5. I'll try coax and see how I like it first. This set won't have surround sound so I won't be expecting the best connection.

Bonus question, if I feed the OTA antenna through my directv box will the tv be able to distinguish that some channels are OTA HD and channel 3 is satellite? Or do I need to feed the aerial into ant A and the sat into ant B?
post #99 of 4019 Old 05-17-2005, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by kjongsma
I've had about 4 days with my HLR4667W set up in a very similar manner. Standard Comcast SD channels are soft as expected, but very watchable.

kjongsma-

I assume your Comcast service has analog & digital channels? My Charter service is supposedly going all-digital this summer & I am wondering how good the cable digital channels look on your set.

Thanks for all of the info you are providing to those of us in waiting mode.
post #100 of 4019 Old 05-17-2005, 09:02 AM

That Amazon price seems to good to be true. The price includes delivery, which makes it about 500 bucks cheaper than the powerbuy. What's the catch?
post #101 of 4019 Old 05-17-2005, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by blackdiamond
That Amazon price seems to good to be true. The price includes delivery, which makes it about 500 bucks cheaper than the powerbuy. What's the catch?

Hmmm.... Read down this info page on the set: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...onics&n=507846

It says date first available from Amazon is "April 14, 2005." It could be a typo. If not a typo, it can not be an HL-RXX67, or can it?

ADDED in EDIT: More oddity. It shows the HL-P5067 at a higher price: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...onics&n=507846

don...

Ferengi Five Stages of Acquisition: 1. Infatuation. 2. Justification. 3. Appropriation. 4. Obsession. 5. Resell
post #102 of 4019 Old 05-17-2005, 09:19 AM

What are the warranty options through Amazon? Does the delivery include bringing it inside the house and unpackaging it?
post #103 of 4019 Old 05-17-2005, 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Breddy
lswaidz--

I'd like to hear your opinions of that stand. After many hours of research, I finally found that one by accident and am about to order it, but I have one question...

Can you tell me if it can be built without including that little base? The unit is too tall for my 5067 (coming tomorrow) and if I can leave off that base, it'll be perfect.

TIA,

Chris (Breddy)

It's one of the best stands I've ever actually seen. It took about 30 minutes to assemble and has enough room for my Klipsch C-2 Center with my Moto HD Box, Tivo and sammy 841 flanking it. Very, very classy. The glass is a nice darker grey and the silver finish matches the 5667 perfectly. I couldn't be happier.

~Lance
post #104 of 4019 Old 05-17-2005, 09:42 AM

I got my 5667 all setup last night and my home theater all connected, I just wanted to chime in and give my impressions of the picture quality.

First of all, I can not believe the quality of just basic standard definition programming. Obviously it's not perfect, but even compared my old 65" mitsu CRT this is stunning. That's a word I've been using a lot lately to describe the set. Samsung did an amazing job with this one, it will definately be a home run for them.

I haven't been able to watch a DVD on it yet using the upconvert, but I played a few games on MVP Baseball this morning on my PS2 using the component cable. The one thing I noticed was that on startup the little spinning light balls on the PS2 menu left a lot of ghosting on the screen, same with the Playstation 2 logo... when the MVP menus came up though it was all gone, worried me for a second though.

Anyway, gameplay was flawless, very little blur and smear, the new color wheel kept up perfectly. Also, I've seen ZERO rainbow effect so far, which is a very nice surprise.

HD quality of my moto box is amazing, I'm using Monster Video 3 component cables (my sammy is currently using the HDMI connection). I watched some HD Net last night (Biniki Destinations...woot) and it was... drool. That's about it... drool.

My only complaint so far is the remote... it's not the best layout I've seen. Even last years sammy was better. I have yet to program my sony remote commander, once I do that it won't be a problem anymore.

Anyhow, I have the day off today to tweak eveything and hopefully check a movie out later. I'll post later and let ya'll know how that goes.

~Lance
post #105 of 4019 Old 05-17-2005, 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Saluki
I assume your Comcast service has analog & digital channels?

I have a subscription to Comcast's basic basic tier, only because it makes my high speed internet subscription slightly cheaper. While most of the channels are analog, I was surprised to see a couple of local stations in HD digital (PBS & NBC), and a bunch of what look to be SD digital subchannels. The digital channels can be better, but it really depends on how the channel is being broadcast. Some are quite good and some are very soft.
post #106 of 4019 Old 05-17-2005, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by lswaidz
I haven't been able to watch a DVD on it yet using the upconvert, but I played a few games on MVP Baseball this morning on my PS2 using the component cable. The one thing I noticed was that on startup the little spinning light balls on the PS2 menu left a lot of ghosting on the screen, same with the Playstation 2 logo... when the MVP menus came up though it was all gone, worried me for a second though.

Anyway, gameplay was flawless, very little blur and smear, the new color wheel kept up perfectly. Also, I've seen ZERO rainbow effect so far, which is a very nice surprise.

Any lag?
post #107 of 4019 Old 05-17-2005, 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by dunnar
What are the warranty options through Amazon? Does the delivery include bringing it inside the house and unpackaging it?

I can definetly handle bringing it in the house and unpacking it for $500
post #108 of 4019 Old 05-17-2005, 10:26 AM

Just to add my two cents...

I have an HLR4667 (replaces a SONY 32" CRT) with the Samsung 850 DVD(HDMI), Moto 6412 STB (component) and the split coax running directly into the TV tuner.

My early impressions are mixed.

The SD part of the STD input is not only soft, there are lots of digital artifacts such as gnats, blocky backgrounds and similar. The analog signals through the TV tuner are better than from the STB, though. The source is a big factor here. Broadcasts that are originally HD are very good, others can be pretty bad.

The SD digital part of the cable spectrum is a little better, but still not all that great.

The HD shows are very good to spectacular. I can't imagine a better PQ than ESPN Sportscenter, or the PBS HD travel programs. The TV really shines with these sources.

DVD PQ with the 850 is pretty good. Not at the same level as the true HD content, but very watchable. The 720p or 1080i settings make a noticable difference.

Other than PQ, the only other issue I have is that he cooling fan is audible from my seating area about 10' away, but so is the DVR hard drive, so I guess it's no big deal.
post #109 of 4019 Old 05-17-2005, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

^wow thats pretty critical.

I know most people in this forum seems to have great feedback from Samsung and trading in their old DLPs for newer ones. If I were to buy a new DLP HLR5067w this summer, do you think they would let me trade it in for a new 1080p next summer with me bumping in some extra cash?
post #110 of 4019 Old 05-17-2005, 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by nickavs
I can definetly handle bringing it in the house and unpacking it for $500

Agreed. The warranty doesn't seem that great though. 2 years from the time of purchase and I'm not sure if that includes bulb replacement or not. If your Credit Card has a 1-year extended warranty policy, then the Amazon warranty isn't even worth getting since those 2 years will already be covered by the manufacturer's warranty and the credit card's warranty.
post #111 of 4019 Old 05-17-2005, 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by dunnar
Agreed. The warranty doesn't seem that great though. 2 years from the time of purchase and I'm not sure if that includes bulb replacement or not. If your Credit Card has a 1-year extended warranty policy, then the Amazon warranty isn't even worth getting since those 2 years will already be covered by the manufacturer's warranty and the credit card's warranty.

Can always buy the extended warranty from TVA....

Is the item on Amazon really the HLR5067? It doesnt show any picture or info for me... other then Samsung 50" DLP tv
post #112 of 4019 Old 05-17-2005, 10:54 AM

Can anyone clarify which (if any) of the TVA warranties (there are three in their "bundle") can be purchased for a TV that was *not* purchased from TVA? The three warranties are the screen protection, lamp protection, and extended.
post #113 of 4019 Old 05-17-2005, 10:56 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:

Originally posted by subwoofer
I know most people in this forum seems to have great feedback from Samsung and trading in their old DLPs for newer ones. If I were to buy a new DLP HLR5067w this summer, do you think they would let me trade it in for a new 1080p next summer with me bumping in some extra cash?

Samsung doesn't do "trade-ins". If your set is defective Samsung will repair it, replace it with a different model (with a price adjustment), exchange it for the same model, or give you a refund.

Some B&M retailers will agree in advance to swap a model that you buy now for a better (more expensive ) model that is expected soon. In that kind of deal you are not going to have much in the way of negotiating power. It would be rare that a retailer would do a deal like that for "next year".
post #114 of 4019 Old 05-17-2005, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

the amazon deal -is- amazingly good. I don't know what they're thinking... it even qualifies for free shipping!
could've saved $600.

I believe you can buy RepairMaster separate from the initial purchase. At least, that's what I heard.

One Sub to rumble them all. One Sub to shake them. One Sub to humble them all, and in the darkness break them.
post #115 of 4019 Old 05-17-2005, 11:26 AM

I think it must be a price mistake or typo. I'm really tempted to buy but I really want the 5667W. This is tough!
post #116 of 4019 Old 05-17-2005, 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by blackdiamond
I think it must be a price mistake or typo. I'm really tempted to buy but I really want the 5667W. This is tough!

Why is the title: 50" DLP Pj Tv

It does say the following:

Item model number: HLR5067WX

If it is wrong/misprint, what will they do? What if it ships and it is the HLP or something?

Here is the photo:

post #117 of 4019 Old 05-17-2005, 12:42 PM

Has anyone called them yet on this model and $??

GT = Nunzie
post #118 of 4019 Old 05-17-2005, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Why is the title: 50" DLP Pj Tv

It does say the following:

Item model number: HLR5067WX

If it is wrong/misprint, what will they do? What if it ships and it is the HLP or something?

Here is the photo:

Pj has to mean projection. I'm wondering what's up with the WX suffix. I'm waiting to see the 68/78 series or I would be tempted to check it out.

Somebody...c'mon.

p.s. - htwaits, welcome back
post #119 of 4019 Old 05-17-2005, 12:49 PM

can someone confirm what the model numbers/letters mean from Samsung?
post #120 of 4019 Old 05-17-2005, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

can someone confirm what the model numbers/letters mean from Samsung?

nick-

We took a vote & you won!
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Samsung , Lcd Hdtv

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page