Advertisement

post #182 of 4019 Old 05-18-2005, 05:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by htwaits
[b]Excited new members should start here.

This is a good reminder. I confess that I hadn't read it and violated the rules in my first post. Sorry!

I've got an HL-R5067W on the way via the original Amazon deal. It's already on the truck, apparently. I had to scramble to cancel an order I had with Inoax. Supposedly that was in shipment too but it got cancelled in time (barely). Amazon closed the deal much quicker than they said they would. They have done an excellent job on just about everything I have bought from them.

When it shows up I'll be happy to post a newbie buyer review. This is my first new TV since 1993 or so. Not too keen on the short life/high cost of the lamps but at least I saved the price of one replacement lamp via the info on this site.

Jon
post #183 of 4019 Old 05-18-2005, 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Heywood
I just recieved my BESYBUY catalog- I was thinking of the Bush stand you posted, but it may be a little wide for a 50.

Also there is a Sanus rack that looks pretty nice- 3 shelves

Model PFPL-bb num 5303174

I will need to visit BB check it out in person, as I got confirmation that my Amazon order shipped today (From PA) Should take less than 9 days to NJ Sanus rack

I probably wouldn't recommend that one... it's curved on all 4 sides and it has a greenish tint to it... wouldn't match the silver on the 67w's at all. There's a ton of options out there now, I work at BB so I was able to see most of them over the last year and I decided that Video Base was the best for me... fits the 56 with about an inch and a half to spare on each side... the 61 would fill it edge to edge very nicely... the 'satin chrome' finish is virtually identical to the silver on the 67w... all I can say is good luck w/ your search... it took me about 3 months to find the right stand.

~Lance
post #184 of 4019 Old 05-18-2005, 09:56 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 22
See my sig for a quick review.

Quick Reference of Forum Rules
1) Do Not post pricing you found on-line or at a local dealer UNLESS IN A DEALS THREAD.
2) Do Not ask for, or offer, a receipt so people can price match.
3) Do Not say to "Call John Smith at ..." (you know what I mean)
4) Do Not put down someone else's choice in...

post #185 of 4019 Old 05-18-2005, 10:15 PM

Anyone who bought the HLR5067W through Amazon, let us know when you get them, please! I'm seriously considering since the price is right, but it seems like a big purchase to do online for me.
post #186 of 4019 Old 05-18-2005, 11:55 PM

For those who are interested in the comparision of
Hd2+ (HLR4677) and Hd4 (HLR4667), please see my details on
in home comparision of HLR4667 and HLR4677 DLP sets:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show...893#post5645893
post #187 of 4019 Old 05-19-2005, 04:49 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thank you AkaStp. This thread has become the FUTURE owners' thread. A majority of the postings are on stands or pricing. All good topics, but not what this thread is meant for.

-Breddy (a very pleased HLR owner)
post #188 of 4019 Old 05-19-2005, 04:53 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Originally posted by baba160
For those who are interested in the comparision of
Hd2+ (HLR4677) and Hd4 (HLR4667), please see my details on
in home comparision of HLR4667 and HLR4677 DLP sets:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show...893#post5645893

The URL seems to be broken. I'm very interested to read your findings, especially since you've done a side-by-side in a controlled environment. Could you repost?

-Breddy
post #189 of 4019 Old 05-19-2005, 05:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Breddy
The URL seems to be broken. I'm very interested to read your findings, especially since you've done a side-by-side in a controlled environment. Could you repost? -Breddy

Judging from his posting time, Baba160 might be a West Coaster. Permit me to step in for him: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...93#post5645893

don...

Ferengi Five Stages of Acquisition: 1. Infatuation. 2. Justification. 3. Appropriation. 4. Obsession. 5. Resell
post #190 of 4019 Old 05-19-2005, 05:21 AM

As posted above, I expect to receive my HLR5067w soon. Now I need some help from those of you that already have your set up and running.

I subscribe to DIRECTV have their TIVO unit and a VCR. Will not get the DIRECTV HD Receiver for a while but as I understand it I should expect a good picture via DIRECTV Digital.

1. Do I just unpack the set connect my units and plug it in? Will I have to adjust anything? If so what? Have read something about a DVD that helps with set up - True? Where do you get the DVD?

2. Any suggestions on how to connect the TIVO and VCR? What kind of cables and which ports to use? HDMI - RGB - etc? I know nothing about this stuff so any help you can offer will be appreciated.

Thanks
post #191 of 4019 Old 05-19-2005, 05:34 AM

One last interruption!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As Breddy and others have thought or suggested-

An owner's thread should be for people who own the set to discuss issues, set ups, impressions, not where someone may buy it from.

(And also hijacking the powbuy thread was not right either.)

As such, I started a Amazon HLR-5067WX thread for us to post what we got, delivery info, impressions etc.

( BUT NOT PRICING!)
( BUD- How is "Significantly less than the MSRP, but slightly more than it was yesterday"? )

Lance thanks for the stand opinion/info.

I will return as an owner!

We now resume the OWNER'S thread

There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots.
post #192 of 4019 Old 05-19-2005, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Barrybud
See my sig for a quick review.

You may want to rethink the wording of #5.

To quote David Bott

"I hope you can respect what we are asking, for our mission at AVS Forum is not how to get the best price, but how to achieve the best out of the gear you own or are looking to own."

However one of most basic needs of many non-rich potential new owners have is what set to get, given their budget and requirements. Their finances determine the $ they have to spend. Their home and other factors, determine the kind of set they may need. Discussions involving MSRP are not very helpful to them.

They need to be able to ask questions as to suggestions, given their needs, and others need a reasonable way to respond. Reasonable is perhaps the key word here.

It's also clear that this forum is dependant on multiple sponsors, many of whom sell this kind of gear. One can clearly talk about different sets, and price ranges, without getting into specific quotes and URL or Call John Smith at references. My suggestion is for a more flexible approach in this area. Otherwise how are people to achieve the best out of the gear you own or are looking to own."

Ed
post #193 of 4019 Old 05-19-2005, 09:23 AM

looks like it got pulled- I sent a pm asking why

There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots.
post #194 of 4019 Old 05-19-2005, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

Back again... 2nd day's Impressions here:

Couch arrived, so now I'm watching the HLR5067 at a more proper level, and much more comfortably.

Got my optical out from tv to receiver for better sound.

My antenna (and HT room!) is on the wrong side of the house! This means that every time I get up, I cross the 'path' between my antenna and the broadcast. LOL.

1) Watched American Idol OTA. No lipsync issues throughout the show. The caucasian girl looked especially nice in HD.

2) Watched the Fran Dresser show OTA. 1 second lipsync issues throughout the show. I blame the weaker signal and/or Fran speaking much faster than maybe the MPEG2 encoder could keep up. Fran doesn't look as nice as the American idol girl when rendered in HD... probably better to see her a little blurry.

3) Watched Attack of the Clones in DVD 480P. No lipsync issues. Noticed for the first time that Yoda has fine facial hair. Natalie trumps the American Idol girl in sweet eye-candyness.

At 6pm, the sun was still up and the ambiant lighting was somewhat high. The tv looked a little washed out based on my settings.
By 8pm, the sun was gone, ambiant lighting is with a single 60w floorstanding lamp. American Idol looked great, sharp and bright. Almost too bright.

Regarding Rainbows: I saw some at wierd times... do NOT turn on close caption or subtitles if you're sitting 1.5x to 2.0x diagonal... you WILL get some rainbowing from trying to read and watch
Those, like me, who don't hear dialog as well might want to look into a smaller set if they're going to use subtitles.
(I'm just glad I didn't go 61", though it would've been nice++)

what else... by the time AoC finished, it was too late to try the PS2 again.

Tonight: I'm going to get an amp'ed antenna to see if I can clear up KTTV/WB's signal a little.

slightly offtopic: at one point, I flipped to a channel showing Katie Holmes and Batman. Katie does NOT look good in HD, unfortunately.

Edit: should I mention that the above observations -were- made with the help of Stella Artois?

One Sub to rumble them all. One Sub to shake them. One Sub to humble them all, and in the darkness break them.
post #195 of 4019 Old 05-19-2005, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

Tonight: I'm going to get an amp'ed antenna to see if I can clear up KTTV/WB's signal a little.

I asked this question on another thread, but got no reply.
Are you able to compare the OTA tuner in the HLR to a cable or satellite STB? I'm in a fringe area and am curious as to how the Samsung ATSC tuner stacks up. Thanks,
Carl
post #196 of 4019 Old 05-19-2005, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

my post in the other HLR thread actually answered your question.
Between OTA connected to the TV vs. OTA connected to the dishnetwork 811, I'm getting better signal from the TV directly. Seems like Samsung put an internal LNC amplifier of somes sort. You can, per channel, select to turn it on or off.

One Sub to rumble them all. One Sub to shake them. One Sub to humble them all, and in the darkness break them.
post #197 of 4019 Old 05-19-2005, 12:02 PM

bhchan,
can you please try out a few games on your PS2 to check for lag? preferably a game with a timing-critical meter such as golf or football... this is basically the only question i have left before buying one of these sets for myself. seems like no one has directly addressed this issue yet.
post #198 of 4019 Old 05-19-2005, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by bhchan
my post in the other HLR thread actually answered your question.
Between OTA connected to the TV vs. OTA connected to the dishnetwork 811, I'm getting better signal from the TV directly. Seems like Samsung put an internal LNC amplifier of somes sort. You can, per channel, select to turn it on or off.

Great! Thanks.
I have two DirecTV STBs that I'll be comparing the Samsung OTA to:
Zenith HD-SAT520
Hughes HTL-HD
Both use 4th generation ATSC decoders, so it'll be interesting to compare.
Carl
post #199 of 4019 Old 05-19-2005, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Got my optical out from tv to receiver for better sound.

What if you go sat box (or cable box, whatever you have) video to tv and audio to receiver? Is there lip sync problems?

What about dvd player video to tv (either hdmi or component) then audio (optical) to receiver. Any lip sync problems?

XBL: Mr MichaelJames
post #200 of 4019 Old 05-19-2005, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by NatGun
bhchan,
can you please try out a few games on your PS2 to check for lag?

Turns out, I might not have the chance to tonight. (I probably won't even get to watch my tv... sad)
But I try to squeeze in some time.
I'll have to find my old Madden, since I tend towards turn-based RPGs or more arcade-style games (like the Street series, which doesn't have any meters, I don't think)

I might not have the chance to get and set up an amped antenna either.

post #201 of 4019 Old 05-19-2005, 01:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by MikeAlletto
What if you go sat box (or cable box, whatever you have) video to tv and audio to receiver? Is there lip sync problems?

What about dvd player video to tv (either hdmi or component) then audio (optical) to receiver. Any lip sync problems?

I route my video through my receiver. The receiver has no idea what kind of delay it needs to put in, because it's unaware (as far as I know) of what's on the other end of the component cables and I didn't tell it to do any delaying.

Thus, I'm pretty much doing what you want, which is splitting video to the tv and audio to the receiver.

the answer to both dishnetwork and dvd 480P is that there is no noticeable sync problems, with the caveat that a alot depends on the source material.
even OTA HD had sync problems with the Fran dresser show, but not with american idol. I have not noticed any sync issues with DVD

I won't have time to reroute my equipment, so the only thing going to the tv only will be the PS2 (component and white/red audio to Component2)

post #202 of 4019 Old 05-19-2005, 03:27 PM

I've only seen one post on how ps2 games look on this and it was not good. Has anyone else given this a try?
post #203 of 4019 Old 05-19-2005, 04:53 PM
Vik

Looks like many people (including me) are holding off on their HLR purchase decisions until the audio lag/lip-sync issues are better understood. Any thoughts on whether other DLP sets (like Toshiba) or LCD RP sets (like Sony) would be more or less prone to these issues? A related problem that somebody pointed out related to the inability of HLR to pass through 5.1 dolby digital through its audio out. Assuming its confirmed, is it fair to assume that its an HLR-specific problem?

Thanks!
post #204 of 4019 Old 05-19-2005, 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Vik
Looks like many people (including me) are holding off on their HLR purchase decisions until the audio lag/lip-sync issues are better understood. Any thoughts on whether other DLP sets (like Toshiba) or LCD RP sets (like Sony) would be more or less prone to these issues? A related problem that somebody pointed out related to the inability of HLR to pass through 5.1 dolby digital through its audio out. Assuming its confirmed, is it fair to assume that its an HLR-specific problem?

Thanks!

I can not imagine that this is a Samsung only issue. I also don't think that the passing of 5.1 DD is a limitation of the Samsung TV. It is more of a limitation of the cable box.
post #205 of 4019 Old 05-19-2005, 05:17 PM
Vik

Samsung spec sheet indicates that the brightness numbers (in cd/m2) for various HLRs are as follows:
4266W 1000
4667W 1000
5067W 900
5667W 700
6167W 600

I briefly saw 4667W in a store and it appeared pretty bright (with a great picture). I am considering 6167W, but haven't seen it. Any comments from 6167 owners on its brightness (of course its only one factor in overall PQ)?

Thanks!
post #206 of 4019 Old 05-19-2005, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Maybe I am missing something here, but the only way to get a DD 5.1 signal into the HLRxx67 series is through the HDMI port. The only other audio in is L/R audio (no way to make this into DD 5.1). Once you get your audio in through the HDMI port you then have the option of what format you want it to be output in through the optical out port (PCM or Dolby). Once you get DD 5.1 into the set, it would appear that the set will pass it out.
post #207 of 4019 Old 05-19-2005, 07:02 PM

I was the proud owner of a new HLR6167 this morning. Ordered it from Amazon-Office Depot, and paid for it with my credit card. Amazon tells when it will be shipped, etc. on "my account" page and the receipt they sent me. then this afternoon I happened to look at "my account" site again, and it had a little line at the bottom that said the total amount paid was refunded. No other explanation. I called customer service at office Depot and the lady said that meant they didn't have any and that basically I was SOL.

Popped my bubble big time :-(
post #208 of 4019 Old 05-19-2005, 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by gargoyle007
I was the proud owner of a new HLR6167 this morning. Ordered it from Amazon-Office Depot, and paid for it with my credit card. Amazon tells when it will be shipped, etc. on "my account" page and the receipt they sent me. then this afternoon I happened to look at "my account" site again, and it had a little line at the bottom that said the total amount paid was refunded. No other explanation. I called customer service at office Depot and the lady said that meant they didn't have any and that basically I was SOL.

Popped my bubble big time :-(

I'm afraid this is one of those "if it sounds too good to be true..." deals. I still think someone screwed up in entering the price and when they realized what had happened, they killed the order.
post #209 of 4019 Old 05-19-2005, 08:00 PM

DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THE DISH BOX 942 HDMI output is 5.1 ?

some of the lip sync issues may be due to the cable or satelittle boxes are out putting stereo from the HDMI cable and the tv is passing this through otherwise why even have an optical out on the tv?

quick way to test that would be:

try hdmi out of a dvd player to tv and then connect optical out of the tv to the receiver to see if these tvs can pass a 5.1 signal

why an hdmi out wouldn't be in 5.1 is beyond me , but i know my local cable company still hasn't activated there hdmi output on their boxes.

i think i am waiting for the 68 series, i would love to do the powerbuy but there are too many questions and its only another month.

should someone get a list of boxes that output 5.1 from the hdmi

"what on earth is worth gaining, that which does not require effort?" - V Lombardi
post #210 of 4019 Old 05-19-2005, 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by kjongsma
I'm afraid this is one of those "if it sounds too good to be true..." deals. I still think someone screwed up in entering the price and when they realized what had happened, they killed the order.

According to Amazon, mine shipped today from Scottsdale, AZ.
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Samsung , Lcd Hdtv

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page