AVS Forum banner

Samsung HLRxx67W Owners Thread --- 720p DLP HDTV

691K views 4K replies 803 participants last post by  Speedskater 
#1 ·
This is the first week that the new 2005 HLRxx67W Samsung 720p DLP HDTVs are arriving. It is time to start an owners thread to focus on the HLRxx67W models. Please post your impressions of these new sets, pictures of your setup, tweaks, problems, and ideas about these great HDTVs.

[Note: After the 1080p models are introduced in June a separate owners thread will be setup to focus on the Samsung 1080p models. For general information about both the 720p and 1080p models check out the 2005 Samsung DLP HDTV Thread ]

See less See more
#2 ·
(This is a compilation of my previous posts in other threads. I will now try and only post here on the new offical thread)

MY TV arrived about 3 hours ago. As this is my first DLP, HDTV or even larger than 27inch TV, I will not try and make too many comments

As requested here is a picture

HLR5067w on coffee table

My setup for now:

Digital cable via Tivo via coax on antenna input

Direct cable via coax via tuner input

Progressive scan cheap DVD via component inputs

I don't own a PS2 or any other console, so I can't test for you

HD Cable DVR arrives this week. TR46x3 stand arrives this week. Getting new composite cables for DVD this week. However, see below for HD comments

1) TV Guide setup comes on as soon as you turn the TV on. For me it makes little sense to use as I watch everything through a standalone Tivo, which controls my cable box changing. However I did set it up. You can setup the guide via a direct connection without a box as per the instructions. The directions say it D/L data when the TV is off...which it hasn't been yet. (Update; nothing came down last night, I have to see what I did wrong)

2) The 50 sits flush...no pedastal or extra feet

3) I currently have it on my Coffee table. Samsung TR46x3 is due to arrive Tuesday. Note: As I said in a previous post, that stand is only 17.8 inches deep and works with the 46,50 & 56.

Review:

The Good:

I have not seen any rainbow effect at all. However, I didn't see them on the HLN model either at a friends house

I now have the PC display working perfectly at 1280x720. I played a few games OK, although Act Of War did not want to play. i will try additional setting for AOW tomorrow

I do not hear the fan at all

When pressing the source button on the remote, only connected sources are selected. Any source that is not used, is skipped

The Bad:

You can not turn DNIe off. There is a DNIe demo setting, that just splits the picture in half to show you what DNIe does for you. Half the screen has it off and half on with labels on each side. however, this setting is more of a setting to sell the box and has no use at home. They even have a DNIe demo button on the remote, again of no use for home use. These type of things really bug me. Some have asked if DNIe only works on certain inputs. As, there is nowhere to change it in setup, I will never know which setup it works on. Please note: DNR can be turned on and off.

The side inputs do not have a cover on them and are exposed at all times. I think for those who use the side inputs, this is a good thing. For those that don't, a cover would be nice.

The picture size button is not on the main part of the remote, it is behind the little slide cover. I am not sure if I like it here

Yu can not swap PIP directly from the remote, nor can you change the pip size,placement or layout. All these settings have to be done from the menus. You can turn PIP on/off and change chanels of PIP from the remote (channels are changed via the secondary channel buttons under the remote slider)

The Ugly:

Nothing, especially not the picture.

The picture is great, even the SD stuff. I don't have access to HD content yet (Comcast arrives Friday), so I can only expect it to get better. I did have an early problem with my TIVO picture, but that was due to crumby cables. I now have Tivo comming in via the coax antenna in, and even that is great. As for DVDs, even without component cables, the picture is great. I can't wait to get the new cables tomorrow.

Update: Due to the built in tuner, when you connect cable directly to the TV you can see the unscrambled HD channels on the digital channels (110-2, etc). The HD picture is great. I have only watched some PBS HD stuff as the networks didn't have any HD stuff last night when I finally got it setup.

#3 ·
richost or any other 67 owner ... could you please check the following DNIe question for me:

Just a thought on DNIe ... is it supported on all inputs? One reason that you may not be able to turn it off is that it may not be operating on that input. Check other inputs (HDMI, component, etc.). Let us know if DNIe is working on all inputs. I seem to recall that DNIe was not available on all inputs in prior model years.

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by UCSB
richost or any other 67 owner ... could you please check the following DNIe question for me:

Just a thought on DNIe ... is it supported on all inputs? One reason that you may not be able to turn it off is that it may not be operating on that input. Check other inputs (HDMI, component, etc.). Let us know if DNIe is working on all inputs. I seem to recall that DNIe was not available on all inputs in prior model years.

I don't have all the connections to test for you, however, I don't think that will make a differerence. When you go into setup, items you can't select are gayed out. There is no where on the menu to turn off DNIe or set it in any way, including the greyed out options. Now the picture has all the dynmaic, standard, movie and custom settings. You also have all kinds of color control. DNR can be turned on/off. Film mode can be turend on/off. So I trully think you can get any picture you want in the end.

#5 ·
This may be off topic and I don't want to be a total newbie or Lune, but something strange is happening.

I ran the automated channel setup for my directly connected cable input. cable is connected to the tuner....NO CABLE BOX.

I get all the normal channels and the digital channels (ie 110-2)

I then decided to try and see what wa son each channel

Here is what I seein the digital ragnge (#-#):

-Multiple SD channels

-Multiple HD channels (Networks, ESPN, Public TV)

-SD Channels for some premiums (Showtime, Max Action, etc)

Note: i don't subscribe to any premium channels

-Some channels that come and go meaning if i go to 84-3, I may get a picture or may not and instead get the std weak signal or scrambled channel Samsung message,

Whats even stranger, I sometimes see a movie in reverse or fast forward, as if I am getting someone esles on-demand feed.

Is this normal for HD Tunners?

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by richost
This may be off topic and I don't want to be a total newbie or Lune, but something strange is happening.

I ran the automated channel setup for my directly connected cable input. cable is connected to the tuner....NO CABLE BOX.

I get all the normal channels and the digital channels (ie 110-2)

I then decided to try and see what wa son each channel

Here is what I seein the digital ragnge (#-#):

-Multiple SD channels

-Multiple HD channels (Networks, ESPN, Public TV)

-SD Channels for some premiums (Showtime, Max Action, etc)

Note: i don't subscribe to any premium channels

-Some channels that come and go meaning if i go to 84-3, I may get a picture or may not and instead get the std weak signal or scrambled channel Samsung message,

Whats even stranger, I sometimes see a movie in reverse or fast forward, as if I am getting someone esles on-demand feed.

Is this normal for HD Tunners?

Yes, this all sounds perfectly normal. What was your question?

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by Ed Weinman
UCSB,

The picture you have above is, I belive, of the 5668w model - is it not?

oops! I've replaced it with a genuine HLRxx67W series picture. Actually, we only have two 67 series pictures in the HiRes gallery. So we need some photographically inclined owners to take a few nice shots. Of course the photos will become less important when we can just go down and look at the new sets and form our own opinions.

#10 ·
Here are a few open questions that we have about these new sets ... any insights by owners would be appreciated.

1. Do the remote control IR discrete codes work for ALL inputs?

2. What is the capability of the sets to handle computer/video gaming? Specifically, what is lag?

3. Are lip sync issues completely eliminated?

#11 ·
I have had my HLR6167w for 5 days now and I must say that this is an incredible t.v. I finded tuned it using Avia. The picture is incredible.

This t.v. replced a Hitachi 57inch crt director series which had a great picture.

I must say this Samsung beats it hands down. I watched the Durby in HD this week and never enjoyed a horse race so much. Just got through watching The Incredibles DVD and is was Incredible.

Black are super black.

On a scale or 1-10 I would give it a 9.0 because of the cheap plastic and the occasional rainbow but it's not a big deal.

#12 ·
To answer UCSB questions.

1. Not sure what you mean.

2. I played madden 2005 and my friend kicked field goals perfect. I was having a little bit of problems but think is was just because I was looking for something that was not there.

3. Have not seen one Lip sync problem at all.

This tv is truley amazing. Fantastic color.

One bad thing is the remote is not very good.

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by AkaStp
Hey UCSB, it would be easier and less confusing if the other new HLR thread (here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=536582 ) could be merged into this thread so all the info is in one place. Are you a Mod? Can you do it?

richost, the cable channels you are seeing are normal. Do you or cjlawson have any feedback on the TV Guide yet?

Sorry, I can't merge them ... I'm just a regular member. But, there haven't been many post in the other thread yet ... perhaps someone could post a link there to this thread and ask further posts to shift over here.

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by cjlawson
To answer UCSB questions.

1. Not sure what you mean.

2. I played madden 2005 and my friend kicked field goals perfect. I was having a little bit of problems but think is was just because I was looking for something that was not there.

3. Have not seen one Lip sync problem at all.

This tv is truley amazing. Fantastic color.

One bad thing is the remote is not very good.

Item #1 refers to the ability to enter a single code in a remote control to switch to a specific input. This allows people to have a macro that say starts their DVD player and switches the TV input to HDMI. There were some reported problems with the discrete codes in the HLP series. This question is just to confirm that they have all been fixed. When people start programming their custom remotes this will be obvious quickly.

#16 ·
As of Monday morning I still have no TV Guide data. I have no idea why it isn't working. I setup the system (entered zipcode and said cable was connected directly to TV) and i autoprogrammed my channels as requested in the instructions. TV was off for 6 hrs each night straight plus the odd 2 hours here and there.

I will be on a business trip most of the wee, so testing wll only be done by the wife.

---------------

On the cable channel/internal receiver thing from a few posts ago: I fnd it amazing that I see other peoples On-Demand purchases. I watched cat wowmen last night for free and an old episode of the sorpranos. For some reason I feel like a voyeur.

#17 ·
There seem to be contradictory reports about DNIe. On the "Samsung 2005 DLP HDTV" thread (page 144), cjlawson said that DNIe was off by default on his HLR6167. In this thread, though, richost says that you can't turn DNIe off on the 5067.

I'm guessing richost is right, and cjlawson was just mistaken, but it would be nice to settle this question definitively...

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by grinwell
Right now the 5067W is $200 cheaper than the 4667W. Is there something wrong with them or just a market fluke (prices from CNET.com)?

You need to look at the model numbers carefully. 5067W isn't unique because last years 50" was HLP5067W and this years is HLR5067W. I know that the HLP units are being heavily discounted.

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by rictus
There seem to be contradictory reports about DNIe. On the "Samsung 2005 DLP HDTV" thread (page 144), cjlawson said that DNIe was off by default on his HLR6167. In this thread, though, richost says that you can't turn DNIe off on the 5067.

I'm guessing richost is right, and cjlawson was just mistaken, but it would be nice to settle this question definitively...

I think that the best way to resolve this is for owners to report results from the setup menu BY INPUT. This means that we need to check the HDMI, both component, and s-video inputs separately. Someone using both the HDMI and component inputs could post photos of the setup menu on each input and then we would have a solid idea because these are the highest priority inputs. If DNIe could not be turned on/off on a given input we then would need to determine whether it was on or off on that input.

#21 ·

Quote:

Richost was wrong DNIe is turned off by default. I leave it off.

Quote:
Item #1 refers to the ability to enter a single code in a remote control to switch to a specific input. This allows people to have a macro that say starts their DVD player and switches the TV input to HDMI.

My last tv was a Hitachi Director Series that had buttons which would allow me to go directly to any input. I do not see any buttons on this t.v.'s remote like that. I have a Sigma LCD remote that had macros programed to do what your are talking about UCSB with my old tv.

There are no remote codes in the instruction manual for my Scientific Atlantic HD DVR box. The remote can't even control an audio receiver.

I do not use the t.v. guide feature.

Last night was the first time I watched some SD t.v. and I must say I was impressed much better then my Hitachi.

#22 ·
I finally saw one of the new 67 series at Magnolia this weekend. This was the HLR4667W, playing an HD feed with the DNIe demo on. I was excited to finally see one of the new models, though they didn't have the 56" that I want. I really liked the look of the new shell with the floating screen, speakers on the bottom, etc. However I noticed something about the picture quality that I did not expect, which the sales guy also pointed out when comparing side by side with the now older 63 series. The 67 series screen itself has kind of a grainy look to it (for lack of a better term), caused by the slightly rough surface of the screen glass. This seems to cause images with a lighter background to appear sort of with a very fine grain. The 63 series on the other hand has a smooth glass and the picture looks more "normal". I'm not sure whether I liked this on the 67 or not, whether this is normal, and if this would look any different on the 56". I only had about 5 minutes to look at it. I kind of thought maybe Samsung has used this new screen to give the film-like and smooth picture they advertise, but it just seemed odd. Anyone else noticed this? What do you think about it?

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by cjlawson

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Richost was wrong DNIe is turned off by default. I leave it off.

This is getting to be a he said he said type argument. Unfortunately, I will be away from my TV until Friday. I could have the wife do some tests, but I am sure she won't take pictures. As I posted in another thread, I stand by my statement in that DNIe can't be turned off. Only the Demo can be turned on/off.

Look at page 54 of the manual which can be downloaded: DNIe Demo defaults to off. There is no choice on the menu to turn it on from what I have found. However, if anyone finds I missed something, please let me know. I do not claim to always be right.

UCSB has asked if it can be turned on/off for other inputs. Again, I don't think this is possible as there is no choice. If there was, it would be grayed out when on specific inputs that don't support it.. An example of this is the 'PC' menu choice in setup. You can not select this if you are using any input except PC, however, you always see the choice as grayed out.

#24 ·
I subtract my statement earlier it looks like you can only turn the demo on or off. Which is wired. This would leave to beleive that it is always on. Sorry about the mistake.

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by jandrade
The 67 series screen itself has kind of a grainy look to it (for lack of a better term), caused by the slightly rough surface of the screen glass.

If so, I may actually like that. My set will be going in a very bright ambient lit room during the day and glare is a problem with CRT sets. If this was done to eliminate glare, I may be even happier.

#26 ·
Cjlawson: honest mistake

Who would have thought that they would put a button on the remote, add a page to the manual, add a setting to the setup and even have this elaborate split screen demo display just to help BB & CC sell more TVs. I have always hated these things. How much time went into the demo that could have been spent on other features.

The DNIe demo button on the remote will never be used in my house. OK, at least it's below the sliding cover, but I would have preferred a PIP swap button instead. Or a button to cycle through the available PIP layouts.

Then ad to it, all the logos on the lower right of the screen. I guess when I have company, I will have to explain what each logo means and why they are so unlucky not to have a TV with a TV Guide System, DNIe, DTS and every other feature that needs a logo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.