Sony SXRD 50" and 60" - Oct/Nov - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 6249 Old 06-27-2005, 03:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Nothing new here, but worth a post because Stan Glasgow is Sony's US consumer sales president;
Quote:

Glasgow mapped out Sony's display products strategy for 2005, showing the currently available 70W-inch Qualia 006 ($13,000) SXRD rear-projection microdisplay HDTV at the very high end of the line.

Below Qualia, Sony is extending the XBR sub-brand which was once used to mark top of the line CRT TVs to include flat-panel LCD and SXRD.

Glasgow said Sony will introduce in the fall 50W-inch and 60W-inch SXRD-based microdisplay rear-projection HDTV sets under the XBR line at considerably lower pricing than the current Qualia 006 model.

Twice.com(requires registration)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 6249 Old 06-27-2005, 03:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 184
So basically, if you still want a 70" set, the Qualia 006 will be the only one offered from Sony?????

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #183 of 6249 Old 06-27-2005, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4K display View Post

Nothing new here, but worth a post because Stan Glasgow is Sony's US consumer sales president;

Twice.com(requires registration)

This is significant. It is the first official statement from Sony that there will be 50" and 60" SXRD sets under the XBR banner available in the fall. This confirms the newspaper leak that their PA plant has been retooled to produce 50" and 60" SXRD sets.
post #184 of 6249 Old 06-27-2005, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonColeman View Post

I spoke with my dealer this afternoon, who is usually very "in the know" as far as upcoming gear, and he said that there's little to no information coming down the pipeline about the new SXRDs. At this point, it's between these and the new 1080p Mitsubishis that are due in August.

Jason

My understanding is that Mits 1080p will be lucky to make projected September dates, at least with any quantity. August is not on Mits's calendar. Lew
post #185 of 6249 Old 06-27-2005, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

So basically, if you still want a 70" set, the Qualia 006 will be the only one offered from Sony?????

I can't imagine that sony would leave such a large gap in pricing 5k to 13k, it just doesn't make much sense. 8k for 10" come on. I think you will see a 70" sometime in the near future that is either the qualia or a re-badged xbr in the 6-8k range. Its the only way to move tvs. Granted with the qualia moving right now it doesn't seem likely. But with all the coming 1080p sets the price will have to come down or sales will be non existent.
post #186 of 6249 Old 06-27-2005, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newby1 View Post

I can't imagine that sony would leave such a large gap in pricing 5k to 13k, it just doesn't make much sense. 8k for 10" come on. I think you will see a 70" sometime in the near future that is either the qualia or a re-badged xbr in the 6-8k range. Its the only way to move tvs. Granted with the qualia moving right now it doesn't seem likely. But with all the coming 1080p sets the price will have to come down or sales will be non existent.

If your in the LA area you can go to Audio and Video Only on Wilshire Blvd. and get the Qualia for $9,999. I would not be surprised to see a 70inch SXRD XBR model for $7-8 MSRP, The jump from 60" to 70" seems to bring the biggest price jump between sizes of HDTV's.
post #187 of 6249 Old 06-27-2005, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew Black View Post

My understanding is that Mits 1080p will be lucky to make projected September dates, at least with any quantity. August is not on Mits's calendar. Lew

Not according to this...

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/050627/275650.html?.v=1

Granted, it's just for their 52", but it seems like they're on schedule.

Jason

Custom Built For The Win!
post #188 of 6249 Old 06-27-2005, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There are supposed to be technical differences between the Q006 and any of these purported SXRD-based sets, the optics being one of them...the difference isn't only in adding the 10" screen bump. Whether the added cost for the technical differences are worth it is another story
post #189 of 6249 Old 06-27-2005, 02:51 PM

Quote:

Not according to this...

Jason

The link didn't work, but I do stand corrected. I went back and rechecked the Mits roll out dates and the entry level 52 and 62 1080p sets are supposed to arrive July/August. The bigger sets are scheduled for September, but I was told not to count on it this far away in time. Lew
post #190 of 6249 Old 06-27-2005, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry about the link...if you hit refresh it'll work.

Jason

post #191 of 6249 Old 06-28-2005, 05:37 AM

Quote:

Not according to this...

Jason

Does anyone know the dimensions of the 73" or the projected retail?
post #192 of 6249 Old 06-28-2005, 08:54 AM

Now, what exactly is the relevence of all this Mits-blabber with regard to the topic of this thread, which is 'Sony SXRD 50" and 60" '......... ?
post #193 of 6249 Old 06-28-2005, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonPalmans View Post

Now, what exactly is the relevence of all this Mits-blabber...

Just a harmless tangent...sheesh...comparing arrival dates between the new 1080p Mits and the new SXRD Sonys. Pretty relevant unless you know for sure that you're getting the SXRD sight unseen. Personally, I think there's still going to be a lot to choose from.

Jason

post #194 of 6249 Old 06-28-2005, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

I know I'm not getting the Mits DLP, sight (and rainbows) unseen.

I want to eat your brains and gain your knowledge.
post #195 of 6249 Old 06-28-2005, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Sony Shifts Retail Operations Structure

By Greg Tarr -- TWICE, 6/24/2005 9:26:00 AM

New York Responding to strong growth in its direct-to-consumer sales operations, Sony has realigned management responsibilities, shifting the online consumer electronics and Sony-branded retail stores to the consumer electronics group, Sony Electronics' COO Hideki Dick Komiyama announced at roundtable conference with the press, here.

The e-commerce and retail store businesses, which were previously managed under Sony's e-Solutions Company, have now been moved into the consumer electronics sales operation headed by Stan Glasgow, Sony's U.S. consumer sales president.

Glasgow said Sony will continue to use its direct-marketing e-commerce and flagship Sony Style boutique stores as a vehicle for building Sony's sales across all of its channels of distribution.

We're giving consumers a choice to shop anywhere [they] want, Glasgow said. We're going to try to have a very open environment to allow consumers to shop, and we're going to try to make sure there's synergy between our online sales and our retail partners and between our stores and our retail partners.

Glasgow, who said Sony will double the number of its stores to 30 this year, said the company has been successful at balancing its direct sales and its consumer electronics retail distribution, adding that he has not had one complaint from a retail partner about Sony's stores.

They don't see them as a threat, Glasgow said. Number one, they're too small. We don't stock everything in the stores. We're trying to sell a select range of products and inform the customer and demonstrate things.

The shift was made in tandem with the realignment and expansion of Sony's business-to-business sales into one company, which will bring together sales and product development teams to address the needs of various markets, Komiyama said.

Previously, our other segment of the business was more or less fragmented and it functionally separated sales and marketing, he said. In response Sony has established a completely new platform for business-to-business, focusing more directly on key product areas while segmenting different markets such as education and government, said Komiyama.

Also as part of the change, direct sales of Sony Vaio PCs to business-to-business clients, which was formerly handled through the e-Solutions Company, has moved to the new business-to-business operation, Komiyama said.

Komiyama said Sony Electronics North American sales operation had another banner year, in 2004, and is continuing to see growth as Howard Stringer, Sony's newly approved worldwide chairman, leads a turnaround for the global organization.

Komiyama said Sony is following closely its three-year rejuvenation plan, called Transformation 60, which included last year's relocation of its CE sales and marketing headquarters from Park Ridge, N.J., to San Diego. The goal is to complete the transformation around Sony's 60th anniversary next year.

The move, Komiyama said, has helped solidify communication between engineering, sales, marketing and manufacturing, while speeding the time to market for innovative new technologies.

Komiyama acknowledged concern over certain market trends, including the rapid price compression in flat-panel televisions, and all digital technologies which have been exposed to the rapid commoditization of key components.

However, I believe we have strong strategies for meeting these challenges, Komiyama said.

Glasgow mapped out Sony's display products strategy for 2005, showing the currently available 70W-inch Qualia 006 ($13,000) SXRD rear-projection microdisplay HDTV at the very high end of the line.

Below Qualia, Sony is extending the XBR sub-brand which was once used to mark top of the line CRT TVs to include flat-panel LCD and SXRD.

Glasgow said Sony will introduce in the fall 50W-inch and 60W-inch SXRD-based microdisplay rear-projection HDTV sets under the XBR line at considerably lower pricing than the current Qualia 006 model.

Below SXRD, by display type, are Sony's 3LCD-based Grand Wega microdisplay rear-projection HDTV sets. Glasgow said Sony's Grand Wega line is currently its largest consumer display segment. Kamiyama pointed to Grand Wega as one of Sony's vertically integrated products that use Sony-manufactured key components such as high-temperature LCD panels.

We are going to be highly competitive in microdisplay with our Grand Wega 3LCD line 42W-, 50W-, 55W- and 60W-inch models, noted Glasgow. We'll be competitive against all the other rear-projection products.

In flat-panel TV, Glasgow said Sony has scaled back its plasma TV offerings, but he added we're not out of it officially at this time.

Glasgow noted that production has started at the new Sony Samsung LCD-panel joint venture factory, giving the company a core competency in flat-panel production. Sony will market three major flat-panel LCD lines including the entry S Series, which will be highly competitive, even against the 50 to 60 brands now showing up in the United States, Glasgow vowed, noting that Sony won't be the cheapest. That's not our goal. But we will be competitive in terms of base LCD models.

Where we are really excelling is in stepping it up to higher performance LCDs, Glasgow said.

Sony's step-up V Series LCD TVs are positioned for the more discerning XBR type of customer, he said. The series will use enhanced CCFL backlighting to expand the color gamut, while using a wider looking panel with a faster response time.

At the high end, Sony will also deliver this year's models using LED backlighting, which outperforms even CCFL, Glasgow said.

Glasgow said Sony hasn't given up on CRTs, adding the company will be responsive to whatever the market needs in terms of how these changes happen.

Glasgow said as prices are driven down in Grand Wega and LCD, CRT, in turn, will have to move to lower price points.

In camcorders, Komiyama said Sony will be focusing its promotional push on DVD recordable models, which was one of Sony's major strengths last year, and new high-definition models, including the company's second model introduced in June.

Komiyama said Sony, once again, will make a strong push in the personal audio area this year. He cited the segment, which was once one of Sony's most dominant categories, as a personal disappointment last year, and credited Apple Computer, which has dominated the market in recent years with its iPod products, for being a strong competitor.

To boost the personal audio business he said Sony will be working closely with key service partners and with Sony's software businesses to deliver entertainment media for its hardware products.

In addition, Glasgow said Sony has had discussions about possibly including XM and Sirius reception functionality into future portable audio products a move Apple was also considering.

Komiyama said Sony's new direction under Stringer will help the company work more effectively as one company to leverage its various strengths for synergistic purposes.

He said Sony will be adding a new service and some hard-disk-based players soon. In the meantime, it is marketing a pair of new micro-sized flash memory-based personal audio players.

Sony has moved to include in its players open standards including MP3 and WMA.

The new efforts have helped Sony see a strong resurgence in market share within the flash-media-based personal-audio category, said Rick Clancy, Sony's communications senior VP. Sony now holds the No. 1 market-share position for flash-memory personal-audio products in the Japan market, he said.

Sony's Vaio PC business, meanwhile, continues to perform profitably, although the company has chosen to innovate rather than to chase market share, in the area, Komiyama said. Sony is preparing to market a Media Center PC for the den with certain living room functions later this year, to be followed with a full living room-based entertainment Media Center for next year.
post #196 of 6249 Old 06-28-2005, 12:48 PM

Quote:

Just a harmless tangent...sheesh...comparing arrival dates between the new 1080p Mits and the new SXRD Sonys. Pretty relevant unless you know for sure that you're getting the SXRD sight unseen. Personally, I think there's still going to be a lot to choose from.

Jason

I'm sorry to apparently have sheeshed you. It's not about 'harmless' or such, but keeping threads focussed and thus informative, without needlesly expanding in size and getting bogged down.
There is thread hijacking all over the place, which serves nobody. This thread isn't about which set to buy at the end of this year, nor is it about Mits. There are other threads for that, or one can start one. That also contributes to useful feedback, because Mits-users and -experts are more likely to show up there.

BTW, who said anything here about 'buying sight unseen'? Where did you read that?

Now, where was that Mits thread where I can ask about the dimensions of the upcoming Sony SXRD's?
post #197 of 6249 Old 06-28-2005, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

I certainly wasn't trying to hijack the thread...I was just providing a link for Lew Black.

Jason

post #198 of 6249 Old 06-28-2005, 01:55 PM

Quote:

I certainly wasn't trying to hijack the thread...I was just providing a link for Lew Black.

Jason

I know that, and I'm sorry if I implied otherwise. I just meant to illustrate my angle on this.
post #199 of 6249 Old 06-28-2005, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by space2001 View Post

Sony Shifts Retail Operations Structure

....Glasgow mapped out Sony's display products strategy for 2005, showing the currently available 70W-inch Qualia 006 ($13,000) SXRD rear-projection microdisplay HDTV at the very high end of the line.

Below SXRD, by display type, are Sony's 3LCD-based Grand Wega microdisplay rear-projection HDTV sets. Glasgow said Sony's Grand Wega line is currently its largest consumer display segment. Kamiyama pointed to Grand Wega as one of Sony's vertically integrated products that use Sony-manufactured key components such as high-temperature LCD panels.

We are going to be highly competitive in microdisplay with our Grand Wega 3LCD line 42W-, 50W-, 55W- and 60W-inch models, noted Glasgow. We'll be competitive against all the other rear-projection products.

These quotes should get this thread kickstarted again....finally a confirmation of the 50" and 60" sets this fall from a "SONY" source...
post #200 of 6249 Old 06-28-2005, 08:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 439
I never doubted the other source. There is way too much skepticism here.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #201 of 6249 Old 06-28-2005, 10:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBFreek View Post

These quotes should get this thread kickstarted again....finally a confirmation of the 50" and 60" sets this fall from a "SONY" source...

It's nice to see these will be XBR. The current XBRs are so long-in-the-tooth. It fills that gap in the familiar Sony lineup. I was hoping we wouldn't be paying for the Qualia name.
post #202 of 6249 Old 06-29-2005, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Will be curious to see what "considerably lower in pricing than the Qualia" means...

Does it mean under $5k for the 60" and under $4 for the 50"?

Also, does considerably lower in price also translate to considerdably lower quality?

I guess the coming months should answer these questions...
post #203 of 6249 Old 06-29-2005, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonPalmans View Post

Now, what exactly is the relevence of all this Mits-blabber with regard to the topic of this thread, which is 'Sony SXRD 50" and 60" '......... ?

Well for me the relevance is that both these TV's fit my budget (hopefully) and I want to know if the Mitsu is even going to fit in both my cabinet and budget. I have not seen projected retail on the mitsu and if it is in the same price range its something worth considering.

Aren't most people here looking to inform themselves to make a knowledgeable purchase of big ticket item.
post #204 of 6249 Old 06-29-2005, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that these 50" and 60" XBR SXRDs will give you 90-95% of the performance of the Qualia 006. Just a hunch.

I'll probably pass until 2006/2007 unless these are truly spectacular.

Regards,
Dan
post #205 of 6249 Old 06-29-2005, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well for me the relevance is that both these TV's fit my budget (hopefully) and I want to know if the Mitsu is even going to fit in both my cabinet and budget. I have not seen projected retail on the mitsu and if it is in the same price range its something worth considering.

Aren't most people here looking to inform themselves to make a knowledgeable purchase of big ticket item.

Then create a new thread about the Mits, or find an existing one like this one http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=554147
Thats all people are saying, lets keep the threads on topic. You are likely to find out the size of the new Mits in a Mits thread, not the Sony SXRD 50" and 60" thread.
post #206 of 6249 Old 06-29-2005, 08:49 AM
AVS Club Gold

I wouldn't be surprised if the new SXRD sets are better than the Qualia 06 in some ways - CR for one...

Panasonic 65GT50 1080p 3D Plasma TV

Integra DTC-9.8 prepro - Panasonic BDT500 BD Player

Velodyne HGS-15X Subwoofer

Cinenova Grande 3 ( 600W x 3 )
Polk LSi15 x 2, LSIC

Polk LC265i x 3

post #207 of 6249 Old 06-29-2005, 09:22 AM

My two cents on the price difference between the Q-006 and the new XBR: size and optics. The '06 will be the only 70". Also the '06 optic engine is apparently very similar to the one used in the $30,000 Q-004. My bet is the XBR will get a more conventional (and cheaper) optic block quite possibly using the smaller .61 chips that have been mentioned. With the smaller screens, this could still give you a knock-out picture quality. That is where the expensive stuff is. The rest of the feature set (I/O's and the like) are cheaper and would likely be tweaked to keep the XBR still at the top of the competition, and well ahead of the LCD's. A worthy tier under the 006. That's my guess.

Dave W.
post #208 of 6249 Old 06-29-2005, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I figure 2006 or 2007 might see the addition of the 70" to the XBR line. For now, it seems the 70" will be only available as a Qualia.

Regards,
Dan
post #209 of 6249 Old 06-29-2005, 03:08 PM
Advanced Member

Sony will lose a lot of potential sales if they do not lower the price of the Qualia 6 or produce a 70" SXRD in the XBR line. Hitachi, LG, and JVC will all have competing 1080p LCOS sets in that size. If Sony can achieve such low prices as it states for the 50" and 60" SXRD, I'm sure they can do so for a 70".

ericlhyman
post #210 of 6249 Old 06-29-2005, 08:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericlhyman View Post

Sony will lose a lot of potential sales if they do not lower the price of the Qualia 6 or produce a 70" SXRD in the XBR line. Hitachi, LG, and JVC will all have competing 1080p LCOS sets in that size. If Sony can achieve such low prices as it states for the 50" and 60" SXRD, I'm sure they can do so for a 70".

A lot of sales?

These gigantic RPTVs sell in the four units per month nationally. And not the high four units. Internationally, they don't even really exist.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page