Question on HH Gregg extended warranty - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 07-07-2005, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The guy who sold me my Hitachi 51S715 at HH Gregg also, of course, tried to sell me a 5-year, $399 extended warranty. He said if I was buying it as a warranty, I shouldn't get it, but that with that warranty every year they would come out and check the set for dust (clean/vacuum), I believe both inside and out. He said the cost of doing that would make the warranty pay for itself since he said they usually charge like $100+ for that service each time if you get it done individually. I think he also said the installer would do a little more with calibration when the set was dropped off if I had the extended warranty. After I told him I was on a tight budget and not interested, he said . . . what will it take for you to get this warranty? I told him I wasn't interested because honestly I just wasn't in the mood to haggle. I had just got a very good deal on the set and I was darn near what I had budgeted for an HDTV purchase and I didn't want to go blowing another $400.

Now, I know that dust inside CRT units can be an issue, but can someone walk me through whether this is a good deal or not? I can still go back and get the warranty even up until I think he said 2 weeks or 30 days after delivery or something. I don't know what I could talk him down to, but I'm pretty sure I've read around here that dust can be cleaned off the affected interior parts . . . and I'm not a total technological imbecile. I've used compressed air to get dust off my computer components to help with temperature inside my case (and I'm very good at working inside my computer . . . I have been putting my own machines together for 10 years), I've got cloth for cleaning camera lenses, I've got a nice duster brush that I use with my LCD screens at work and at home that picks up pretty much all the loose dust off those screens. Is this a poor choice for a do-it-yourself project . . . will I need professional help? It was essentially presented to me by the salesperson as the only good reason to buy the HH Gregg extended warranty.

Any information about the extended warranty or about the dust issue would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-08-2005, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

bump-tacular. Thanks in advance for any responses.
post #3 of 9 Old 07-11-2005, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

bump
post #4 of 9 Old 07-11-2005, 01:27 PM

I have to say that I am shocked at the number of views topics will get before anyone posts a thing.

I just got a dlp set myself and wonder the same thing. One thing I do know is that you must not touch any of the lenses with your fingers or even compressed air as the compressed air has aerosol in it that can get on the lenses and make matters worse. Also when you open a dlp set you are letting in dust so I would vacum the room and wait an hour or 2 before you open it or whatever your best judgement tells you to do. IMHO if you are going to spend that much for a tv you should get the warranty as it will probably have an effect on how long it takes you set to get repaired if there is an issue plus you may get one free bulb replacement. I would see if they can cut the warranty time in half and drop the price. Circuit city did that for me and advised me that it is renewable. Sorry I cant be more help.
post #5 of 9 Old 07-15-2005, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

The set I am getting is CRT RPTV, not DLP, so I'm not sure how much the same or different that is when it comes to cleaning and such. I have seen the "bulb" issue a lot with respect to DLPs, but not CRT RPTVs.
post #6 of 9 Old 07-22-2005, 06:35 PM

I had the Mits 65" CRT HD RPTV and I never used the warranty - it was nice when I sold it though as it was transferable. I think I got a little more than what I should have got for my set - $2300 - mainly b/c of the warranty.

Also, I believe that there is some value to the HH Gregg Warranties as they hold half of their value at the end of the term if you do not use it. This might have changed however.

I just bought a LCD Sony 60' from there and love the set - got the warranty - at the price these sets are, I believe it is a good investment to get the protection. Probably moreso with the DLP (spinning wheel) and RPTV's (the guns).

I, for one, go on the cautious side and like DD know it is one call away and no money out of my pocket - especially of a bulb goes out or something minor that my ten stubby fingers don't want to mess with. My sales rep even said it was really the bulb replacement on the LCD's that would be the maintenence - I asked him how much he said a hundy a bulb and I know I will go through a couple. So it made sense to me!

Just my opinion. :)

Steve
post #7 of 9 Old 08-22-2005, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysaric
I've used compressed air to get dust off my computer components to help with temperature inside my case (and I'm very good at working inside my computer . . . I have been putting my own machines together for 10 years), I've got cloth for cleaning camera lenses, I've got a nice duster brush that I use with my LCD screens at work and at home that picks up pretty much all the loose dust off those screens. Is this a poor choice for a do-it-yourself project . . . will I need professional help? It was essentially presented to me by the salesperson as the only good reason to buy the HH Gregg extended warranty.

No ESP around will cover professional optics cleaning on the CRTs and mirrors of CRT based RPTVs.

This is something I pioneered many years ago as a calibrator - and many calibrators still don't get the importance of it - and expecting ANY repair servicer - warranty or otherwise - to know how to handle it would be like expecting ANY repair servicer to be able to fully and completely calibrate your set.

Ain't gonna happen.

There is a specific, correct, and SAFE way to do it, and very few know how. You can't just use a dust brush on CRT optics. You can the first year, and MAYBE the second year as well, if you're lucky. But from the third year on, the dust and gunk and gritty particulates are ON there, and it takes very special care to remove them safely, without scratching the plastic lenses and without making the internal lenses fog up if your cleaning solution penetrates the edges and gets down there.

I would NOT let any ESP tech touch my optics! Do not let that be the reason you get this ESP, if you decide to indeed do so. Have a pro do your optics cleaning.

Mr Bob

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell
bob at imageperfection dot com
www.projectiontvtroubleshootingadvice.com
YouTube channel: mrbobbigscreen

post #8 of 9 Old 08-23-2005, 04:28 AM

ysaric the cost for crts is around 180 to 300 dollars and that is if they don't have to
replace the crt boards from time to time resulting in another 180 to 300 dollars worth of just parts.
also indymo33 cost for dlp lamps are more like 200 to 250 for sony lamps, but thats nothing compared to the light engines that range anywhere from 800 dollars for a refurbished unit
to 4000 dollars for the bigger tvs.
so i think warranties are worth it on expensive purchases like this.
i deal with service parts all day long and these are just average prices minus labor i know for a fact most service places will charge at least 100 dollars just to come out to diagnose the problem.

KENNETH PARMER
post #9 of 9 Old 08-23-2005, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 46
PS -

If you want to see how dirty your optics are, take a flashlight in there and shine it onto the top of each lens FROM THE SIDE. The incredible amount of dirt and smoke and dust will be there to see - you'll see how thick it actually is - which cannot be seen by normal viewing. You can draw a happy face in it, showing how clean it is SUPPOSED to be.

If you do, be sure to lick your finger first. Don't want any of the gritty particulates to scratch that happy face into your lens!

This happens because of the HV.

If you want a more complete explanation, go to my website and click on Nuts and Bolts, below, once you are inside.

Mr Bob

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell
bob at imageperfection dot com
www.projectiontvtroubleshootingadvice.com
YouTube channel: mrbobbigscreen

Closed Thread Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page