Samsung 1080p Owner's Thread --- HLRxxx8W DLP Models - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 12093 Old 07-18-2005, 06:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Fry's in San Marcos, CA (Northern San Diego) had the HL-R6168W on the floor if anyone wants to see it. Price was about $900 more than the powerbuy. Ouch!

Only had a few minutes to look at it, I had cold groceries in a hot car, but it was beautiful (HDNet 1080i signal).

This was the only 1080P set they had on the floor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 12093 Old 07-18-2005, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

schaffer,

Well, if the new sets tend to also be inconsistent within their service menus hopefully a simple firmware upgrade will become available soon afterwards. Ideally, it would be great if the sets allowed for independent service-menu grayscale adjustments for all input types as one memory is often insufficient for optimum adjustment of all sources. Personally, I can't wait to get my hands on one of these new displays!

Eliab
post #93 of 12093 Old 07-18-2005, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

htwaits,

Whoops...forgot to reply to you question!

That was certainly the case with certain Toshiba RPTVS. I'm not sure about Samsung though. Again, certainly differences within the same model but they may have had different firmware versions. However, I'm almost certain that Samsung does not currently offer firmware upgrades for their RPTVs. So depending on when it was manufactured, you may get stuck with a model that doesn't have the more up to date firmware and then not be able to do anything about it.

Eliab
post #94 of 12093 Old 07-18-2005, 10:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 670
I guess all of us in the Powerbuy will have some of the first sets that were manufactured.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #95 of 12093 Old 07-18-2005, 10:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliab View Post

htwaits,

However, I'm almost certain that Samsung does not currently offer firmware upgrades for their RPTVs.

When SethS calibrated our HLP5063 I understood that he could do a software upgrade for the firmware. Our set had the latest firmware for that model so I didn't see him do it.

I may have misunderstood what he said.
post #96 of 12093 Old 07-19-2005, 04:45 AM
AVS Special Member

htwaits,

That would be great if that were the case. Personally, I don't know of a single case where someone was able to upgrade the firmware on their Samsung RPTV - that is a properly functioning unit. It's possible that someone perhaps was able to get it done while the display was in for servive but again, I don't know of such a case. As incredible as it sounds, I don't believe that Samsung is offering such a service at the present time. Can anyone out there prove me otherwise?

Eliab
post #97 of 12093 Old 07-19-2005, 06:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Just got an update from SEKO from their website tracking and then gave them a call. With any luck I should have my set in my hot little hands on Wednesday.

schaffer970, did your's ship thursday or friday of last week? Mine was friday to Austin, TX. The tracking last night just changed from Dispatched to In Transit. I'm hoping that that means its close and it didn't just sit in a warehouse for 3 days before starting on its way.

XBL: Mr MichaelJames
post #98 of 12093 Old 07-19-2005, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

SEKO showed Dispatched and In Transit on Friday. The set arrived in Denver yesterday (tracking shows On Hand Destination Station) and will be transshipped back to Grand Junction (west side of the state) today. From what I can tell, SEKO has their hubs through out the country and then either they or a partner shipping company will actually do the delivery. In my case it appears that RAC Transport will actually bring the set from Denver to Grand Junction and do the delivery. I will be calling RAC (SEKO happily gave me their number) today to get their ETA.
post #99 of 12093 Old 07-19-2005, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Eliab, isn't it recommended that new tv's get "broken in" before a thorough calibration ? Isn't like 1000hrs or something to that effect ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliab View Post

Hello all,

Many good questions have been posed that need to be answered once these displays become more readily available. I actually have a number of people that have already booked tentative dates to have me calibrate their new xx68/78/88 models so I'll make sure to report my findings from a calibrator's point of view.

The one thing that I can say is that I've found inconsistencies within the service menus of displays even when the specifications say that they should be the same. Such has been the case with Samsung's 720p displays. For example, on some the CCA is always on instead of being switchable resulting in a more difficult and slightly less accurate calibration. On one HLP6163 that I calibrated a few months ago, I found their to be unique grayscale settings for composite, component, and digital inputs but haven't found those capabilities on another one. I've also found that the destination points for the secondaries (yellow, magenta, cyan) can be adjusted on some models while being absent on another like display.

So I'm very curious to see what options are available within the service menu and how consistent they are between the newer models.

Expect a report as soon as I get the opportunity to work on one (probably within 2-3 weeks).

Eliab

post #100 of 12093 Old 07-19-2005, 08:57 AM

Liked: 17
Look at Ram Electronics
post #101 of 12093 Old 07-19-2005, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

NorthJersey,

There is always a break in period that is recommended with display devices. It varies based on the technology, but for the most part you want to make sure that the display is not a lemon. With a DLP display such as the Samsung we generally recommend about 25-50 hours of solid use, the bulbs are burned in for approximately 50 hours at the factory. In our testing at JKP Labs we have found that the units are pretty stable after 25-50 hours of usage.

Regards,
post #102 of 12093 Old 07-19-2005, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaffer970 View Post

SEKO showed Dispatched and In Transit on Friday. The set arrived in Denver yesterday (tracking shows On Hand Destination Station) and will be transshipped back to Grand Junction (west side of the state) today. From what I can tell, SEKO has their hubs through out the country and then either they or a partner shipping company will actually do the delivery. In my case it appears that RAC Transport will actually bring the set from Denver to Grand Junction and do the delivery. I will be calling RAC (SEKO happily gave me their number) today to get their ETA.

With the HLP PB when my status changed to On Hand Destination...they called and delivered my set that night around 6.30pm...WOW this is getting exciting...soon the reviews will start coming...hopefully soon we will heard the 67" are shipping

Joe V.
post #103 of 12093 Old 07-19-2005, 10:02 AM

6168 is in !!! Actually they said that it was in on Friday, I am going to pick it up at the distributor ASAP. This was ordered through a distributor in Southern California.

Yeeh Ha!
post #104 of 12093 Old 07-19-2005, 10:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Come on John, share the info! Where did you get it?
post #105 of 12093 Old 07-19-2005, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin View Post

Come on John, share the info! Where did you get it?

He did, he said...distributor in Southern California

Joe V.
post #106 of 12093 Old 07-19-2005, 10:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwv651 View Post

He did, he said...distributor in Southern California

Which is why I want to know where he got it (I am in So Cal too)
post #107 of 12093 Old 07-19-2005, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

*cough* this thread is useless without pictures of you hugging the box, opening the box, hugging the TV, etc...

- D
post #108 of 12093 Old 07-19-2005, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

A review has been posted in the powerbuy thread by someone who has recieved their set.
post #109 of 12093 Old 07-19-2005, 11:08 AM

Here is a copy and paste job of the review Schaffer is referring to; not all that informative but still cool that they are arriving.

Got 6168W Yesterday!
Finally, got my 6168W yesterday. The delivery guy dropped it off in my garage.

The box is easy to open and the TV is not that heavy (2 people can easily lift it).
The wife was very happy (Phew!! what a relief!!).

The TV is connected to a Dish Network 810 over DVI. I watched some SD and HD content last night and here are my first impressions. This is my first HDTV and it is very exciting..

1. The SD content over DVI will only show with black sidebars. The SD looks ok with some blurry edges in the image. The brightness and contract are very good. The colors look stunning.

2. The HD content (1080i) looks awesome. I can't make out any pixellation or wobulation artifacts (if there are any). I was sitting about 12 feet away and the picture is just beautiful. No rainbows.

3. The sound is very crisp and clear.

4. The remote is simple but why did they have to put that ugly TV Guide logo on it? Is samsung so strapped for cash that they need to get money from TV Guide??

I am going to try some DVDs (LORT, Star wars) tonight using my Oppo player.

All in all, this looks like the beginning of a "beautiful friendship"...
post #110 of 12093 Old 07-19-2005, 12:19 PM

Unfortunately I am getting it from a large distributor that requires that you have an account with them. You need to be a licensed contractor/ home automation installer dude. Sorry about that, the good news is that they are in their So Cal wherehouse, so other retailers should have them soon.
post #111 of 12093 Old 07-19-2005, 02:14 PM

I just got back from Fry's in San Marcos, CA. They had the 6168 on display.

To start with, I have never seen a TV look good at this place. I figure it is their source material/signal splicing.

I spent around 45 min with the TV with no interruption from the sales staff.

The 6168 was receiving a coax signal (ANT1) and a component signal from the same source (cable). Both were fed the same channel which was good for comparison reasons. It was tuned to TNT and appeared to be std def because the picture was not real detailed. It might have been HD...a crime if it was.

Initially, the picture was not that great (although better than everything else in the store: DLP, LCD, plasma). Fairly bright, a bit grainy, some motion artifacts. I immediately went to the menu. Thankfully, it was on the factory preset. I made some adjustments based on my DVE experience (lower contrast, sharpness and brightness). I didn't touch the color adjustments and tint. Tint can only be adjusted through the coax input and not component (I think 480p and above). I turned off the Samsung picture improvements (I forgot what Sammy calls them but there was two). Temperature wise, I lowered it to Warm 1 (slightly bluish and similar to Normal) and Warm 2 (slightly redder). Both seemed adequate and far better than the first two choices. I made the adjustment to both inputs since you can customize each.

These adjustments made a big difference. Jagged edges were gone as well as the motion artifacts. Most of the graininess disappeared was well, but was still present. I performed the "rainbow" test and, am happy to say, the 6168 passed. No rainbows at all. I performed the same test on several Mits. and older Sammy DLPs in the store, and did notice the split second rainbows when looking away and looking back to the TV quickly. Tried it several times with the 6168. No rainbows.

Brightness wise, it wasn't as bright as the JVS DILA, but that was after I turned down the factory adjustments. I assume the JVC was set to blow torch mode.

Picture wise, it looked better than any other LCD or DLP in the area, but I didn't walk away from it saying "wow". Nothing three dimensional or eye popping about it.
As mentioned, I would look to the signal source before making a final assessment. Based on history, this store could make a $40k three chip projector with the best external scaler look horrendous. The local Tweeters should have the 68 and/or 78 in stores this week, so I will take a look this weekend.

I have a 6168 on order with TVA (6/6 order date, no call yet). I'm not worried about today's results. Once I take it through a DVS session, and eventually a professional calibration, the new Sammy's will look great.
post #112 of 12093 Old 07-19-2005, 02:53 PM

Does anyone know if the HLRxxx8 sets can be used concurrently with the digital cablecard and an antenna for OTA HD broadcasts? (OTA for any channels I can get in HD and digital cable for everything else)

thanks
post #113 of 12093 Old 07-19-2005, 02:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by byrnebv View Post

To start with, I have never seen a TV look good at this place. I figure it is their source material/signal splicing.

The 6168 was receiving a coax signal (ANT1) and a component signal from the same source (cable). Both were fed the same channel which was good for comparison reasons. It was tuned to TNT and appeared to be std def because the picture was not real detailed. It might have been HD...a crime if it was.

Initially, the picture was not that great (although better than everything else in the store: DLP, LCD, plasma). Fairly bright, a bit grainy, some motion artifacts. I immediately went to the menu. Thankfully, it was on the factory preset. I made some adjustments based on my DVE experience (lower contrast, sharpness and brightness). I didn't touch the color adjustments and tint. Tint can only be adjusted through the coax input and not component (I think 480p and above). I turned off the Samsung picture improvements (I forgot what Sammy calls them but there was two). Temperature wise, I lowered it to Warm 1 (slightly bluish and similar to Normal) and Warm 2 (slightly redder). Both seemed adequate and far better than the first two choices. I made the adjustment to both inputs since you can customize each.

These adjustments made a big difference. Jagged edges were gone as well as the motion artifacts. Most of the graininess disappeared was well, but was still present. I performed the "rainbow" test and, am happy to say, the 6168 passed. No rainbows at all. I performed the same test on several Mits. and older Sammy DLPs in the store, and did notice the split second rainbows when looking away and looking back to the TV quickly. Tried it several times with the 6168. No rainbows.

Brightness wise, it wasn't as bright as the JVS DILA, but that was after I turned down the factory adjustments. I assume the JVC was set to blow torch mode.

Picture wise, it looked better than any other LCD or DLP in the area, but I didn't walk away from it saying "wow". Nothing three dimensional or eye popping about it.
As mentioned, I would look to the signal source before making a final assessment. Based on history, this store could make a $40k three chip projector with the best external scaler look horrendous. The local Tweeters should have the 68 and/or 78 in stores this week, so I will take a look this weekend.

I have a 6168 on order with TVA (6/6 order date, no call yet). I'm not worried about today's results. Once I take it through a DVS session, and eventually a professional calibration, the new Sammy's will look great.

TNTHD rarely broadcasts anything other than Sports in HD...

Panasonic 65GT50 1080p 3D Plasma TV

Integra DTC-9.8 prepro - Panasonic BDT500 BD Player

Velodyne HGS-15X Subwoofer

Cinenova Grande 3 ( 600W x 3 )
Polk LSi15 x 2, LSIC

Polk LC265i x 3

post #114 of 12093 Old 07-19-2005, 03:18 PM

Well I couldn't find the answer to my question in the owners manual, but I think I found the answer to somebody else's... Looks like there is a "game mode"... probably shortcuts some of the processing in the graphics engine to reduce the game lag
post #115 of 12093 Old 07-19-2005, 06:38 PM

Everytime I go to the Fry's here in Canoga Park, CA, I wonder how anyone could ever buy a television from them. Their signals are so bad, half the sets have just plain static on them, and their prices are almost always just at MSRP, sales are rarely visible, although Im sure theyd try to meet a BB price or CC, the only way I can see anyone buying a TV from this store is by already knowing exactly what set you want and accidentally walking into a FRY's instead of another store. I do like FRY's though, just their TV dept. is etrocious.

Good write up ByrneBV..

Tosh 42HP95 - What's SSE? :P
Had SXRD 50 - I was a believer, and maybe will be again someday. Time will tell I guess.
post #116 of 12093 Old 07-19-2005, 09:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 214
this was my first point way back when, a smaller 1080p set is not going to look much if any better than 720p set... the larger sets 60 and up you will deffinatly notice a sharper picture.
post #117 of 12093 Old 07-19-2005, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Having now seen a 5078 next to a 5067 at 8-10' viewing distance I'm now more inclined to agree with those that claim that a 1080p 50" set at > 8' may not be such a great thing. Although the PQ of the 5078 was a bit better (brighter, slightly better colors, a bit sharper) than the 5067 it was not significantly better.

I would like to know how well these new 50" displays handle various sources and if they too appear to only be marginally better than when displayed on 720p models. My other big question is if they are any better/worse from a calibrating point of view as well. Unfortunately, I won't know the answer to that one until I personally get to work on one (2-3 weeks)!

Eliab
post #118 of 12093 Old 07-19-2005, 09:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrnebv View Post

Well, I'll have to go back and see how different it looks from when I saw it Monday evening!
post #119 of 12093 Old 07-19-2005, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkaStp View Post

Having now seen a 5078 next to a 5067 at 8-10' viewing distance I'm now more inclined to agree with those that claim that a 1080p 50" set at > 8' may not be such a great thing. Although the PQ of the 5078 was a bit better (brighter, slightly better colors, a bit sharper) than the 5067 it was not significantly better. I didn't notice too much of a difference in blacks or shadow detail in the 5078 over the 5067, probably due to the viewing room having bright overhead lights. Both were set to Standard picture mode. I knocked Contrast down a few clicks but otherwise didn't adjust the picture settings. Feed was HDNet at your typical store quality. All in all, it wasn't a night and day difference. If I had not known in advance that the 5078 was a 1080p set I would probably not have guessed it was. Its not that it isn't a great TV (it is), it just that it aside from having an extra HDMI input, I'm not sure the overall PQ improvement is worth the extra $1,000. The same concern would probably not be the case for bigger screen sizes at closer viewing distances. So, my advice to those of you that are considering the 50" 1080p is to be sure to give it a good viewing at your typical viewing distance to make sure you see a better PQ than on the 50" 720p sets and that it is worth the extra $1,000 you'll pay. I have not yet decided for sure if I'll go with the 5078 or just the 5067.

Edit: Source was HDNet but at your typical store HD loop quality (average). It was the end of the Nascar program with some between-shows filler. No way to change the channel. Connection was via component. The TV had just been put out (I was the first person to see it) so could probably have benefitted from basic configuration and calibration that I didn't have time to do.

P.S. I am not panning this TV, more pointing out that there may be questionable incremental value to a 50" 1080p set.

Where did you compare the two 50" sets?

> Bill
post #120 of 12093 Old 07-20-2005, 03:36 AM

Wondering if anyone has had the chance to test the xx78 unit with a PS2 or Xbox yet? I'm actually more interested in results w/the PS2, as my current samsung DLP does fine with HD Xbox content; i'm curious to see how well it works on the PS2 stuff that is lagging for me right now. (Particularly Japanese rhythm/music games, for those interested)
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page