post #1501 of 12093 Old 08-03-2005, 09:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoobTheNoob View Post

My wife and I lifted our 6168 by using the gap between the speakers and the screen with no ill effects.

THANKS!

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1502 of 12093 Old 08-03-2005, 09:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydeluce View Post

If you saw it on several or all channels last night and you still see it on several or all channels today, it doesn't hurt to call Samsung and see what they say...

You should not see the red stuff on your picture you are seeing, in my opinion.

Thanks for your input tony. When I get home this evening I'll see what the story is and then put a call in to Samsung to see if they've heard of anything like this. Being able to e-mail them a photo ought to help as well.
post #1503 of 12093 Old 08-03-2005, 09:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefrost View Post

I have a Yamaha VX-1500 receiver; it distinguishes between digital signals. Thus, when a DTS signal comes in, all six speakers work. However, if there is only Dolby Digital coming in, only two speakers work. Hence, yes, 5.1 is emitted from the TV with cable card.

I think most AVR's automatically detect a 5.1 signal and output it to the speaker system as such. If the program is only broadcasting stereo, then the AVR should recognize this and output a 'synthesized' 5.1 (PLXII, Neo6, something like that) to the speakers. So you will be getting ouput from all your 5.1 speaker system all the time.
post #1504 of 12093 Old 08-03-2005, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eswebs View Post

Fry's electronics in Atlanta unboxed their Samsung HLR 5668W last night.

It looked pretty good right out of the box with HDNet from DTV. They were also connecting an upconverting Samsung DVD player to it. I didn't get to see anything play through it though. They have 3 in stock. The price had four zero as the first two digits.

Sean seemed to be the most 1080p knowlegable sales guy on duty. Nice guy too. If I could afford 4 grand right now there would only be two left.

Do you have oh, I don't know, say, roughly $3,245 by any chance?
post #1505 of 12093 Old 08-03-2005, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbattle View Post

Does anyone know why TVA is offering the 56" ITem #HLR5668 for $50 less than the 50" item #5078? As best I can tell they are identical except that the 5668 has a floating screen look.

Your pretty much right! the 78 and 68 are basically the same except for the looks, so go ahead GET THE BIGGER SCREEN FOR THE CHEAPER PRICE!!! (Samsung sells the 78's to only custom installers, so your paying for the feeling that "my 78 is better than your 68" type of thing, even though they're pretty much the same!)
post #1506 of 12093 Old 08-03-2005, 09:47 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clorox View Post

Thanks for your input tony. When I get home this evening I'll see what the story is and then put a call in to Samsung to see if they've heard of anything like this. Being able to e-mail them a photo ought to help as well.

I agree. Good luck.

Panasonic 65GT50 1080p 3D Plasma TV

Integra DTC-9.8 prepro - Panasonic BDT500 BD Player

Velodyne HGS-15X Subwoofer

Cinenova Grande 3 ( 600W x 3 )
Polk LSi15 x 2, LSIC

Polk LC265i x 3

post #1507 of 12093 Old 08-03-2005, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

I think most AVR's automatically detect a 5.1 signal and output it to the speaker system as such. If the program is only broadcasting stereo, then the AVR should recognize this and output a 'synthesized' 5.1 (PLXII, Neo6, something like that) to the speakers. So you will be getting ouput from all your 5.1 speaker system all the time.

This is exactly what I am afraid might be happening. If the system automatically tries to force 5.1 channels then we don't know if he is really getting a 5.1 feed. On my set there are lights for each channel so I know what the sound processor is receiving, irrespective of what sound processing I may have chosen. For example I like a 5 channel synthesis of stereo better than stereo for CD's.

Chris
post #1508 of 12093 Old 08-03-2005, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I have a question about lifting the TV. With the base on, is it OK to grab it below the speakers and lift it? And also with the base off can you lift it in the area between the speakers and the screen? I'm asking because I will need to remove the base before I position it on my TV stand and I just want to make sure that I don't damage anything when lifting it.

We lifted it using the gap with and without the base. The delivery men did the same thing. I wouldn't lift it under the speakers -- I've seen a 6167 at a Fry's where the speaker sections were slightly bent upwards on the left and right.
post #1509 of 12093 Old 08-03-2005, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwv651 View Post

No doubt 61" and you will be in HD heaven...Enjoy

I may be in HDTV heaven, but I might be in SD heck (allowed to say **** on this thread?) too, LOL!

P.S: 10ft away from a 61" is as far away as my room will allow, should I get a 56" instead to be safe when watching SD?
post #1510 of 12093 Old 08-03-2005, 10:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccouper View Post

This is exactly what I am afraid might be happening. If the system automatically tries to force 5.1 channels then we don't know if he is really getting a 5.1 feed. On my set there are lights for each channel so I know what the sound processor is receiving, irrespective of what sound processing I may have chosen. For example I like a 5 channel synthesis of stereo better than stereo for CD's.

Different AVR's obviously operate differently. Mine (Pio 1014) displays in its window what it is sending out, e.g., DDex , PLxII, Neo6, which are 7.1 (even though there are no 7.1 sources!), and one can toggle through the different possibilities.
post #1511 of 12093 Old 08-03-2005, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdrevolution View Post

I may be in HDTV heaven, but I might be in SD heck (allowed to say **** on this thread?) too, LOL!

P.S: 10ft away from a 61" is as far away as my room will allow, should I get a 56" instead to be safe when watching SD?

On my 56", SD absolutely sucks through S-Video on my DirecTiVo. That being said, it's not the TV's fault. When you scale analog TV like that, it's just going to happen that way unfortunately. Also, when you're switching back and forth from DTV signals and SD signals, you are going to notice it when it looks bad, and DTV simply looks normal to you so SD looks like garbage. Hard to explain I guess.
post #1512 of 12093 Old 08-03-2005, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbattle View Post

Does anyone know why TVA is offering the 56" ITem #HLR5668 for $50 less than the 50" item #5078? As best I can tell they are identical except that the 5668 has a floating screen look.

Because the 78 series is the "Upscale" version of the 68 series. This and more is answered on the first page of the "Samsung 2005 DLP HDTV Discussion --- HLRxxxxW Models" thread.

Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with every Microsoft product
post #1513 of 12093 Old 08-03-2005, 10:14 AM

Quote:

On my 56", SD absolutely sucks through S-Video on my DirecTiVo. That being said, it's not the TV's fault. When you scale analog TV like that, it's just going to happen that way unfortunately. Also, when you're switching back and forth from DTV signals and SD signals, you are going to notice it when it looks bad, and DTV simply looks normal to you so SD looks like garbage. Hard to explain I guess.

I thought DTV and SD where the same thing, unless DTV is HDTV??? SO theres, HDTV, SD, DTV, AANNDD Analouge through cable???
P.S. Is your 56" a 1080P Sammy?
post #1514 of 12093 Old 08-03-2005, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLApilot View Post

Clorox,

This is somewhat like my picture through HDMI. Lots of red splotching, but mine is tied to anything red on the screen. I will take a shot today and post it and see what you think. Based on your post, I assume you are not running HDMI with this input?

You are not alone. Like FLAPilot, I also have similar issue, but only with HDMI inputs. Mine has lots of red blotching and it looks to get worse as time goes by. If I switch on the TV in the morning, it will be just fine for sometime (maybe 5 minutes). I have the samsung support person coming in tomorrow.
post #1515 of 12093 Old 08-03-2005, 10:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 19
Quote:

I am watching the 6168 at 9 feet and may move my couch up a foot so
that I am 8 feet away...

SD is not as good as watching on a SD tube but very acceptable..

Panasonic 65GT50 1080p 3D Plasma TV

Integra DTC-9.8 prepro - Panasonic BDT500 BD Player

Velodyne HGS-15X Subwoofer

Cinenova Grande 3 ( 600W x 3 )
Polk LSi15 x 2, LSIC

Polk LC265i x 3

post #1516 of 12093 Old 08-03-2005, 10:17 AM

Quote:

that I am 8 feet away...

OK...OKAY, I go with my gut and your opinions and get a 61"
post #1517 of 12093 Old 08-03-2005, 10:25 AM

For those of you in production, are we seeing an unusually high rate of "issues" with the introduction of the 68/78 series?

Flame me if you must, but it seems like a large number of new owners are having problems, of some sort: DOA, spots, HDMI, interfacing, just to name a few.

Is this to be expected or does Samsung have some re-engineering to do?

Good Day,
post #1518 of 12093 Old 08-03-2005, 10:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

that I am 8 feet away...

Have you tried SD over component? Some have indicated that it is better this way. Would be a nusance, of course, to have to change inputs for SD, but it the difference were dramatic it might be worth it. (BTW, you and I are on the same wave length re viewing distance; I like the 'full emersion' effect too!)
post #1519 of 12093 Old 08-03-2005, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

When in doubt, put the time and effort in viewing these sets locally and picking the right set for you. You will become used to the larger screen sizes after you own your set for a while. But, if the set is to large or you get to close, you will be able to more easily see the defects in the picture. Some people are not bother by this, others are distracted.

> Bill
post #1520 of 12093 Old 08-03-2005, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCSB View Post

When in doubt, put the time and effort in viewing these sets locally and picking the right set for you. You will become used to the larger screen sizes after you own your set for a while. But, if the set is to large or you get to close, you will be able to more easily see the defects in the picture. Some people are not bother by this, others are distracted.

Your right. It is a personal choice, it's just that i don't see the sammy coming to Florida for the next two months!!!
post #1521 of 12093 Old 08-03-2005, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtr1 View Post

For those of you in production, are we seeing an unusually high rate of "issues" with the introduction of the 68/78 series?

Flame me if you must, but it seems like a large number of new owners are having problems, of some sort: DOA, spots, HDMI, interfacing, just to name a few.

Is this to be expected or does Samsung have some re-engineering to do?

Remember many of these sets have received a lot of shipping handling. In many (most) cases up to four shippers may have been used. With transfers between trucks and load balancing in a truck there was probably a lot of handing. There is no way to evaluate reliability from the isolated reports we have, most owners are probably just watching their sets and no longer reading AVS.

> Bill
post #1522 of 12093 Old 08-03-2005, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Millerwill - Can you Quantify your remarks with OBJECTIVE numbers?

I would guess the only one that could would be TVA as they are shipping the quantity and tracking DOA's or other returnable warranty issues. I see your an engineer and yet you take subjective comments and no comparative numbers to make such a statement. Is Samsung responsible for third party screwing up shipping or damage to the product? That's a shipping event not the manufacturer.

Yes, issues are posted but there are hundreds of people taking delivery on these sets that are posting nothing. To be honest I sure would like to see TVA post the Shipments/Received and Warranty issues rather than subjective statements. I have a 6768 on the horizon and would like to see those numbers because the people most likely to VENT are those with a bad experience. Yes, it concerns me but this has occurred with every model of TV I've seen on this Forum the past 8 months I've been here. Many of the happy folks don't give any feedback or some people just come in here for advice and then we never hear anything again until something goes haywire.

Would be nice if TVA could put our minds at ease with real numbers though. Some of these issues being posted are old news and BS too bad I can't blame Samsung for not making the coffee when I wake either. Legacy engineering (especially for a third party device) creates Legacy liability and Samsung is smart to stay away from trying to make this TV compliant with everything on the planet - how could they be responsible for someone using an outdated AVR that isn't their product or people that may not be connecting the cables correctly or using s-video and such?

If you think this is so bad you should have seen the JVC PB - we couldn't get but a few reviews after weeks and most postings weren't very good but with this PB I have 12 pages of glowing/positve reviews copied to get rid of the chatter in between. I'm more concerned with the screw-ups with the shippers than anything else. Besides got a 5 star warranty to return if it's screwed up and won't hesitate.

Hey! - TVA how are the Numbers of SHipments versus Warranty/DOA's?

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
post #1523 of 12093 Old 08-03-2005, 10:48 AM

I had the same thing periodically on my 6178, also on dark areas. It also happened on HD content, mine from a Motorola 6412.

It never happened on DVD (HDMI or component) or s-video inputs.

I attributed it to the source material as it was not a constant thing. I noticed it more when the set had been on for longer periods of time, as I've been burning the set in by running it 12 hours a day before my ISF calibration. It gradually lessened over time by itself. I just had my set ISF calibrated yesterday and I've seen no more of this since, but I will watch for it.

It is possible that our problems are different, but they sure do sound and look alike. I'd doubt that it is due to the set if it only occurs with one or a few sources and is not associated with a particular input type. This is definitely the place to discuss it!

Quote:

This is OTA HD and it happened on Letterman as well on CBS (Digital, but not HD)which was also OTA.

Thus, cables can't be the problem, and the channel itself can't be the problem.

Also, I didn't see it on Law and Order SVU earlier in the evening, so I'm kind of thinking something might be messed up in the set, since sometimes it can be worse. I probably haven't watched enough DVD material yet to definitely state that this won't be a problem there either, and that is through HDMI.

post #1524 of 12093 Old 08-03-2005, 10:50 AM

Quote:

I thought DTV and SD where the same thing, unless DTV is HDTV??? SO theres, HDTV, SD, DTV, AANNDD Analouge through cable???
P.S. Is your 56" a 1080P Sammy?

Sorry if that was confusing. I have a 56" 1080p Samsung, and I am watching programming in two ways. OTA Digital TV (which includes SD and HD - it depends on what is being broadcast, though I suppose some of it could be ED - enhanced definition) and analog SD (the S-Video Output from my SD DirecTiVo). My comments still stand, though. The picture quality of the evening news (which is not in HD), for example, over the OTA digital TV broadcast is phenominal. Compare this to the analog s-video signal that comes from my DirecTiVo, which pretty much sucks as I said before.

My point is that once you've been watching digital broadcast TV, it is difficult to watch SD content, particularly on such a large screen.
post #1525 of 12093 Old 08-03-2005, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekans View Post

You are not alone. Like FLAPilot, I also have similar issue, but only with HDMI inputs. Mine has lots of red blotching and it looks to get worse as time goes by. If I switch on the TV in the morning, it will be just fine for sometime (maybe 5 minutes). I have the samsung support person coming in tomorrow.

Thanks,

let me know how it goes with the samsung support people.
post #1526 of 12093 Old 08-03-2005, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

The Denon 2910 and 3910 also have a Faroudja chip, and MUCH less MB'ing than the 1910. It's not quite so simple. (I had a 1910 and agree with you; have had a 2910 for over 6 months.)

I agree, but the MB'ing is much worse with the HL-Rxxx8 sets. I used to have an HLP and the MB'ing really wasn't that bad with my 1910, but I just switched to the 1080p set and the MB'ing was much much worse.

Rich S
TiVo since 1999
post #1527 of 12093 Old 08-03-2005, 10:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post

Millerwill - Can you Quantify your remarks with OBJECTIVE numbers?

Hey, Westa, I think you've jumped on the wrong guy--I haven't commented on anything (I don't think!) that you are responding to.

But since I'm here, let me comment on someone's question above about 'so many sammy 1080p's having defects', or something like that. To my mind, the number has been incredibly small. We've heard from no more than half a dozen persons who have had problems, and I imagine that TVA has delivered a hundred or more sets by now. And one can be pretty sure that we hear about ALL the ones that have problems, and that most people that don't have problems don't see the need to report that. Just my view.
post #1528 of 12093 Old 08-03-2005, 11:02 AM

Another possibility on the spots is the cable box. I had a nice long talk about the state of cable boxes with an ISF guy yesterday. Basically, they can introduce problems (eg. bad SD over HDMI) as they are cheaply made. After all, hey are owned by cable companies and rented to the public and there are few incentives for quality. Also, there are essentially no good options - you usually cannot go out and buy a quality unit for use with Comcast -which is even more reason to skimp.
post #1529 of 12093 Old 08-03-2005, 11:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMSko View Post

I agree, but the MB'ing is much worse with the HL-Rxxx8 sets. I used to have an HLP and the MB'ing really wasn't that bad with my 1910, but I just switched to the 1080p set and the MB'ing was much much worse.

OK, this is something I will really watch for when I get a 1080p set. Thanks for cluing me that the MB problem may be worse on it than the hlp. If so, I will try to talk Magnolia (where my tv and dvd came from, and the new tv will also come from) into taking the 2910 back in exchange for something else (even though it's well past the 30 trial period).

Yet I still hopeful that the 2910 may be OK. The one bit (of perhaps frail!) support for this hope is that tonydeluce has found his 3910 to do pretty well with his new 1080p.
post #1530 of 12093 Old 08-03-2005, 11:04 AM

ISF with HLR XX68/78 sets

Has anyone else had their set ISFed yet? Briefly, the results are great with far more detail particularly in dark scenes. Also, my spot problem has disappeared, at least so far.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page