post #2431 of 12093 Old 08-11-2005, 07:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post

I believe they are manufactured in S. Korea but assembled in Mexico or at least some of the models as that's why they're always joking about the donkey.

Hey StallionRe - are you trying to catch up with ROGO? You're really kicking out the posts at lightning speed - Well you sound excited and we'll wait for an evaluation. May your Donkey arrive safely and toast a Margarita to your new 1080P HDTV!

I get my donkey tomorrow. I hope that the donkey is safe and it works. I pray. I am so excited getting this TV 1080p and being on this forum with you guys. I love learning and trying to help my fellow people of what I know about electronics and TV's. I am always online at work and school. 7a.m till 9p.m 5 days a week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2432 of 12093 Old 08-11-2005, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwv651 View Post

Did he finally get a TV and if he did which one.

See here ....http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post6012434
post #2433 of 12093 Old 08-11-2005, 07:32 PM

Stallion: there have been several reports of them being "produced" in Mexico. But, with all the international trade, only Samsung knows where all the components and boards are really made!! Could be anywhere.

Good Day,
post #2434 of 12093 Old 08-11-2005, 07:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelfin View Post

Please pardon the newbieness. I'm shopping for a 1080 set, in part because I need to look for a new apartment, and I have friends who have firmly refused to help me move until I get rid of my old 36" Wega CRT. I can't say I blame them -- I don't like moving that beast either.

Anyhow, as I game fairly regularly and want to connect my PC to whatever set I get, plasma is not even on my radar. I'd been watching prices on Aquos LC-45GD4U sets until a few days ago when was in a Best Buy/Magnolia's and saw that somebody had finally released some 1080 DLP sets. Woo. After at least skimming through this thread (a pretty mammoth task at this point) I think the 5668 would suffice for my needs.

I do have one concern, though, and this is where the newbieness comes in, as I've never owned a RPTV, much less a DLP set: How sensitive is this set going to be to environmental dust? I have pet birds, and while they generally live in another room with an air filter running 24/7, feather dust is a fact of life in my home. I have to blow out my PC with canned air every once in a while, and I'm pretty sure dust was implicated in the death of my first PS2's optical drive.

It's not really as bad as it probably sounds, but if I'm going to lay out $4000 for a TV that needs generous air cooling of a projection mechanism containing mechanical parts ranging from small to microscopic, it's a bit of a concern.

Or is it?

Welcome to our club and the Pony express Gelfin, DLP TV's are strong. They never have burn in, and are a work hoarse. I would get a DLP over the RPTV. They are well cased and dust shouldnt be a problem. As long as from time to time you clean the rear openings of the case with a vacuum or an Air duster. Like all TV's the vents need to be cleaned every six months. Depending on your living environment. Such as yours with birds and pets. Keep an eye on the vents. The heat needs to escape freely to keep your set from overheating so it wont blow the Light bulb before the 8,000 hours are up. The Samsung TV's are well vented with a super wisper quite fan. This will do the job plenty.

Gelfin another thing, maybe you should get an air purifier for your apartment so the air will remain clean and almost free of dust like my house. I have 9 very good air purifiers for my house and have no dust. I mean none. Seriously.
post #2435 of 12093 Old 08-11-2005, 07:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I believe they are manufactured in S. Korea but assembled in Mexico or at least some of the models as that's why they're always joking about the donkey.

Hey StallionRe - are you trying to catch up with ROGO? You're really kicking out the posts at lightning speed - Well you sound excited and we'll wait for an evaluation. May your Donkey arrive safely and toast a Margarita to your new 1080P HDTV!

Thanks Westa6969, You are right I type like lightning speed my people say. I enjoy chatting with all of you and learning and sharing my experiences with you. I will post all my findings about my new TV this weekend. Keep an eye out for my very long post, several at that. I am going to drill my TV so hard, to make sure to post my findings. You wait and see ok, the time is coming.
post #2436 of 12093 Old 08-11-2005, 07:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanBuck View Post

New plasmas are supposed to have a half life of 60,000 hours (point at which they have lost one-half the original brightness). I have not seen any plasmas on display at stores that look washed out. I still feel that a good Panasonic or Pioneer plasma has the best PQ of any 42-50 inch tv....I saw them next to the new Samsung 1080p, and they were still superior to my eye. They have that 'looking out a window look' that I never see on any projection type tv. The advantage of the Samsung is when you go over the 50 inch size, where plasmas become VERY pricey. I hope to see more of the 1080P Sammy soon, and maybe I will be more impressed. Also waiting for the SXRD Sony before I drop any cash. I will probably end up with a 50 inch plasma (reguiring a new stand or wall mount), the 50 inch Sammy 1080P (which neatly fits my current entertainment center), or a 60 inch Sony SXRD since the Sony SXRD 50 inch won't fit my cabinet anyway. Any more honest input on the PQ of the new 1080P Sammy is appreciated.

Alan is correct. The myth of "wearing out the gas" in a plasma is just that. I am amazed by what the idiots at some stores will tell people. From a picture standpoint, the main area where plasmas excel is in color rendition. Since they are a phosphor based technology, they produce colors better than most micro-displays, but they also suffer from potential burn in. Wearing out, however is about the same as CRT based sets.
post #2437 of 12093 Old 08-11-2005, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Gelfin
Definitely agree with the Air Cleaner in your environment. A few years back I had to research Air Cleaners for Smoking Lounges before they outlawed it in our buildings and I gathered research for several months as part of my Job is a Purchasing Manager. At that time my findings and purchase hands down was a unit made by Friedrich using some Honeywell components- Friedrich makes air conditioners also.

http://www.friedrich.com/aircleaner/...campcode=surch

http://www.bestaircleaner.com/c-90b/...ampcode=google

It had a cartridge to remove and the grid would be placed in a dish washer periodically and you wouldn't believe the disgusting tar that thing collected. It's very similar to the one you see advertised on TV by Sharper Image only larger. It used the energy of a 25 watt bulb and had no expensive filters and the thing worked damn good and I still use one in my Server Room. In fact, I swear the Sharper Image Air Cleaner the same technology only made in more of a vertical modern shape as it has identical features of the Friedrich Unit which at the time was made in Texas. If you spend that kind of money a few hundred would make a wise investment as we all know in the Tech field what dust and other environmental things we don't see with our eyes and humidity can do to electronics. You have an especially challenging environment though that should call for an air cleaner for the TV and You.

Good Luck!

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
post #2438 of 12093 Old 08-11-2005, 08:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Gelfin
Definitely agree with the Air Cleaner in your environment. A few years back I had to research Air Cleaners for Smoking Lounges before they outlawed it in our buildings and I gathered research for several months as part of my Job is a Purchasing Manager. At that time my findings and purchase hands down was a unit made by Friedrich using some Honeywell components- Friedrich makes air conditioners also.

http://www.bestaircleaner.com/c-90b/...ampcode=google

It had a cartridge to remove and the grid would be placed in a dish washer periodically and you wouldn't believe the disgusting tar that thing collected. It's very similar to the one you see advertised on TV by Sharper Image only larger. It used the energy of a 25 watt bulb and had no expensive filters and the thing worked damn good and I still use one in my Server Room. In fact, I swear the Sharper Image Air Cleaner the same technology only made in more of a vertical modern shape as it has identical features of the Friedrich Unit which at the time was made in Texas. If you spend that kind of money a few hundred would make a wise investment as we all know in the Tech field what dust and other environmental things we don't see with our eyes and humidity can do to electronics. You have an especially challenging environment though that should call for an air cleaner for the TV and You.

Good Luck!

I agree with you too. Also another great air cleaner is called Ecoquest. I have four of these and four of the Ionic Pro. Go to the Website WWW.ECOQUEST.COM and check it out. It is evrything that you need. You never change the filter, or plates at all, you just clean them. Same with the Ionic pro. You can buy the Pro's at Best buy. I have a total of eight, but my house is huge to. So I need them in every room. Also I have three for my living room. They cover up to 2500 Square feet per cleaner on the Ecoquest. The other one's cover 500 square feet. Either way you need one for the house if you have animals. Honeywell is also good but they are big in size.
post #2439 of 12093 Old 08-11-2005, 08:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtr1 View Post

Stallion: there have been several reports of them being "produced" in Mexico. But, with all the international trade, only Samsung knows where all the components and boards are really made!! Could be anywhere.

Samsung DLPs come labeled as either built in Mexico or Korea. As for components it's anyones guess.
post #2440 of 12093 Old 08-11-2005, 08:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Samsung DLPs come labeled as either built in Mexico or Korea. As for components it's anyones guess.

No Offense to anyone here, Mexico or Korea, both are not that good to have being built. Oh well. I cant argue with that. As long as they work and work well. I like Japan products better.
post #2441 of 12093 Old 08-11-2005, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpoet View Post

Yes, those cables are very expensive! You could probably get a less expensive cable which performs just as well.

That being said, I saw a very noticeable improvement in the picture using that expensive cable compared to the cheap cable I tried.

John

Thanks john. I ordered a cheap cable from internet (monoprice.com) and received it today. It works very good.

PQ is amazing on 1080 resolution. Very impressed. Digital pictures from canon camera looks superb. Haven't got so much satisfaction form the purchase lately.

For all those who are still debating on 6168 purchese --- go for it. Look no further. This is the one 1080p set to have.
post #2442 of 12093 Old 08-11-2005, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gondalguru View Post

Thanks john. I ordered a cheap cable from internet (monoprice.com) and received it today. It works very good.

PQ is amazing on 1080 resolution. Very impressed. Digital pictures from canon camera looks superb. Haven't got so much satisfaction form the purchase lately.

For all those who are still debating on 6168 purchese --- go for it. Look no further. This is the one 1080p set to have.

The cable makes the TV picture look either excellent, great, good or poor. A better cable in fact you will see the difference. Try them.

I bought them all and tried them all out. I can see a big difference from composite, to component, to DVI and HDMI. using the Monster M series cables, which is currently the higher cost of cables. IE Monster M series 4 meters, will be about $299.99 for them. The RCA were the worst in Composite video. The S-video was better. The off market brand cables were real bad. Like I have said in an earlier posts a week ago, that in fact cables do make the signal either Excellent, great, good or poor. Try this test yourself and you will see. But you have to look real close to see the difference on some of them. I also used my Oscilliscope to test the wave forms of the output and input of these cables too. On the Monster M series it was almost flat line, no noise or white noise with that set up. Since the Monster line is filled with gas, they are good. They have a lifetime warranty too. That is all that I use for my entire setup. Nothing beats HDMI or DVI cables, HDMI being the recent and the best bcause you can get video and signal through one cable, unlike the DVI cable. Only video for DVI ad much bigger connector too. What else should them make???
post #2443 of 12093 Old 08-11-2005, 08:41 PM

Bear in mind, this is my first HD set, so my basis of comparison is a tube set. I hooked the Dish PVR to the Samsun via DVI->HDMI cable into HDMI2. My DVD player was with component cables at 480i (it's an old DVD player!)

1) SD looks much better than I was expecting from reports, and my limited experiance with a friend's crappy 800x600 projector. The extra resolution and/or wobulation do a good job of making things not crappy at least compared to SD on a smaller tube set.

2) HD looks great. There's just no other way to describe it. It took me a while to figure out the proper combinations of Dish PVR display settings vs Samsung settings to get all of the channels looking right. (leave dish in "4x3 mode" at 1080i output so that the dish doesn't try to do any scaling, and switch samsung between 16:9 and 4:3 depending on whether watching an HD channel or not.)

3) When I had set the dish PVR to 16:9 mode I was getting audio sync issues... i attribute that to the dish being bad at scaling and/or doing a double scaling introducing unneccessary lag and artifacts. When set as described above, it went away.

4) The DVD looked great. I'm not seeing a compelling arguement in getting a progressive scan player as the Samsung did a great job with scaling and displays. Matrix Revoltutions was very sharp and detailed.

5) Right now I've got my video set up someplace in between Standard and Movie and I like how it looks. A bit sharper than movie, good contrast, not so bright as standard for darker blacks and more vivid color contrast. Once I get my video calibration DVD back from a friend I'll see what the experts recommend and decide if I like that.

OVerall, I'm quite happy. Now I just need to find all of the proper remote codes for my JP3 remote to do everything.
post #2444 of 12093 Old 08-11-2005, 08:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkaStp View Post

I tried some of those Ionic Breeze air cleaners in my company server room. Because the air is so dry here in Colorado there is a lot of static buildup (unless you use humidifers) so those things would sound like a bug zapper going off (a loud cracking sound) every few minutes. So I got rid of them and got some air cleaners from Sears, the type with Hepa filters in them, and they seem to work really well. The amount of dust that builds up in 3 months is horrifying!

I dont have that problem in CA. No noise at all. What bug zapping?? I never heard this before. In CA we dont get the air like CO. I lived in CO for sometime and wow it sure is different than CA. It depends on where you live to get the right Air cleaner. In CO it rains in the summer everyday in Colorado springs, Fountain, etc, the air is not good for that type of cleaner, you are right.
Thanks for the info for my parents that live in CO.
post #2445 of 12093 Old 08-12-2005, 04:01 AM

got my 5668 today. Couple comments:

The optical out of the back of the TV definite puts out a 5.1 signal (both from the dvd and HD tv). If you are not getting 5.1 than something is set up wrong in your receiver or your source broadcasts in dolby 2.0 or 2 channel stereo.

Lip sync: As long as your receiver can process dolby digital and DTS to the TV than you should have no problems. The lip sync occurs (for example) if you are watching a DTS disc and your receiver doesn't process DTS so your wating in analog stereo.

Even if your receiver does process DD and DTS if you chose a DSP that is not 5.1 or DTS or even if you select stereo (2 channel) than you will see the lag. Probably becuase its a digital signal being convert to an analog (which takes extra time)
post #2446 of 12093 Old 08-12-2005, 04:22 AM

shack: since you are one of the first to report 5.1 out of the TV's optical output using a DVD could you please describe your cable setup (are you using HDMI from the DVD to the TV or what) and how you determined that it was actually 5.1 coming out of the output (what audio receiver are you using and what indication of 5.1 does it give you)?

TIA!!

Good Day,
post #2447 of 12093 Old 08-12-2005, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StallionRe View Post

Since the Monster line is filled with gas, they are good.

They're filled with gas alright.
post #2448 of 12093 Old 08-12-2005, 05:55 AM

When the bulb startes to die, do you notice that the pictures startes to become darker, or one day the bulb just stops ?
post #2449 of 12093 Old 08-12-2005, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
What is the replacement cost on these bulbs? Expected life of the bulb?
post #2450 of 12093 Old 08-12-2005, 06:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUPigskin-- View Post

....patiently waiting for UCSB's review!!!!

ME TOO!!! I am waiting for the review.
post #2451 of 12093 Old 08-12-2005, 06:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clorox View Post

I love how the sets weigh as much or less than the stands.

Acutally the stand does not weigh 99 lbs like they say, because I can lift it all by myself with a bad back. The stands feels like 60-70lbs, or is it me, I might be stronger than I thought, HEE-HEE
post #2452 of 12093 Old 08-12-2005, 06:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverobertson View Post

What is the replacement cost on these bulbs? Expected life of the bulb?

Around $200.00 for the bulb and case. It is one unit, and they will last up to 8,000 hours on some reports and some are rated at 6,000 hours. That sure is a long time. However, if the conditions are right, you can blow your bulb in less than 3 years. Buyiong a spare is good. I will do this next year. Then maybe the price will be cheaper.
post #2453 of 12093 Old 08-12-2005, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StallionRe View Post

Around $200.00 for the bulb and case. It is one unit, and they will last up to 80,000 hours on some reports and some are rated at 60,000 hours. That sure is a long time. However, if the conditions are right, you can blow your bulb in less than 3 years.

Thanks that is better than I expected I had read where some bulbs were 4-500.00 and that the life was like 6-8 thousands hours. I can't wait for a local retailer to get these in so I can go look at one. Tweeter said maybe next week.
post #2454 of 12093 Old 08-12-2005, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks that is better than I expected I had read where some bulbs were 4-500.00 and that the life was like 6-8 thousands hours. I can't wait for a local retailer to get these in so I can go look at one. Tweeter said maybe next week.

That sounds good, happy hunting for your TV, I did for mine. You will be real empressed with the Samsung 1080p. Let me know what you think. Cant wait.
Some bulbs are high in price depending on the company. I dont know why. They are the same make up. A bulb is a bulb. Maybe larger in Watts, case size, etc. At least you can change your bulb on your own in about 10 minutes with a Samsung tv, but others you will need to call a service repairman, which would be at least $500.00 with the bulb. OUCH!!!
post #2455 of 12093 Old 08-12-2005, 06:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

No matter what TV you are looking for, read the specs on the light bulb to see how long it last, then do a research on how much it will be for the bulb. Other than that, there is nothing else that the consumer can buy to keep this tv running good. When you change the light bulb, it will look like new again, exactly. Which is a cool thing about the DLP TV's.
post #2456 of 12093 Old 08-12-2005, 06:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 670
What kind of bulb can last 80,oo hours? I don't even think an LED can last that long. Isn't it supposed to last between 5,000 and 8,000 hours and that is also dependent on whether you use it in Dynamic mode which is 120W or the standard mode which is 100w. And of course some bulbs can fail early, especially if you cycle the bulb on and off alot.
This reminds me that I need to order a spare bulb to have on hand, just in case, so I don't have to be several days without the use of my set.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #2457 of 12093 Old 08-12-2005, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

After reading all the posts on this set I am relly anxious to see this thing in action. I have a 40 inch RP Toshiba that I bought 4 years ago but I think it may be time for a new one of coarse I do have an obstacle which is the wife but she will get over it soon enough.
post #2458 of 12093 Old 08-12-2005, 07:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

What kind of bulb can last 80,oo hours? I don't even think an LED can last that long. Isn't it supposed to last between 5,000 and 8,000 hours and that is also dependent on whether you use it in Dynamic mode which is 120W or the standard mode which is 100w. And of course some bulbs can fail early, especially if you cycle the bulb on and off alot.
This reminds me that I need to order a spare bulb to have on hand, just in case, so I don't have to be several days without the use of my set.

You are correct, my fault, sorry I added another zero in there. Hoping that it would last 80,000 hours. It last 8,000 hours. Thanks for the correction.
post #2459 of 12093 Old 08-12-2005, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

We wish these bulbs last 80,000 hours...4000-8000 hours is more in line...I have a HLN567 with 3800 hours...I need to buy a spare bulb.

Joe V.
post #2460 of 12093 Old 08-12-2005, 07:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

After reading all the posts on this set I am relly anxious to see this thing in action. I have a 40 inch RP Toshiba that I bought 4 years ago but I think it may be time for a new one of coarse I do have an obstacle which is the wife but she will get over it soon enough.

Toshiba is hands down compared to the new Samsung 1080p.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page