>>> The Official Sony Grand Wega V (A20 series) Thread <<< - Page 35 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1021 of 1037 Old 06-10-2011, 10:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We moved our A10 up to our game room/exercise room. The tint is tolerable for now. I couldn't sell it to anyone in good conscience knowing about the problem and having the label peeled off the back. It still is better to watch than the 12 year old 27" Toshiba CRT that it replaced.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1022 of 1037 Old 06-20-2011, 08:10 AM

can anyone share with me what they did with their old set (dump it, sold it, traded it etc etc), after Sony made the trade.
post #1023 of 1037 Old 07-10-2011, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
if anyone is interested in a dim lamp with housing and a new thermal fuse wire that hasnt been used let me know. ill let them go for cheap
post #1024 of 1037 Old 08-01-2011, 01:51 PM

I'm so glad I found this information! I have a KDF-E55A20 that just had its optical block go belly up (blue blobs followed by the colored vertical lines) The service tech quoted me 750 which I wasn't going to waste on a 5.5 year old tv. Nice to hear there's a replacement option from Sony. I just emailed the Sony Listens email address.
post #1025 of 1037 Old 08-01-2011, 06:12 PM

what offers were made?

XBL GTÂ vFLOODv
post #1026 of 1037 Old 10-27-2011, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
IMPORTANT NOTICE

I maintain the informational web site on Sony optical block and related problems with their 2002-2007 rear projection liquid crystal TVs. Sony had been running an "optical block program" for about 1-1/2 years in which owners of these failed TVs received discounts off newer direct-view LCD TVs in exchange for a legal release. This program was abruptly terminated today, and the "I Have A Defective Sony TV" Facebook page, with tens of thousands of customer posts, was turned off.

If you have a pending settlement with Sony for a failed optical block, you should probably try to resolve it quickly, as it is unknown whether Sony will be offering any future program. There is an alternative Facebook page called "I Still Have a Defective Sony TV" that can be used for general discussion/complaints.

Sony LCD Rear Projection TV Problems: informational web site
SPL Moxi FAQ: comprehensive guide to Moxi DVRs.
post #1027 of 1037 Old 08-28-2012, 09:30 AM

I have the 60in version of this TV. I've started having issues where the video will blank/black out (audio continues)...it will recover on it's own after 30-60 seconds or so, or if I do something to interrupt/re-connect the signal (reboot AVR, cable box, etc). The problem can start as soon as I turn the TV on, not like it's only after it warms up....and it will keep happening at random intervals. Sometimes it does it every 2 minutes multiple times, sometimes it'll work for an hour...but the problem does seem to be getting worse.

At first I thought it was the AVR, but I've bypassed it completely and the problem continues. I've gone from HDMI to component, and I've noticed it does the same thing if I use my PS3 or watch TV. Soooo, I guess it has to be something with the TV. Could this be a sign of impending lamp failure? The TV is over five years old and on it's original lamp. The picture still looks good IMO while it works...maybe it's dimmer but it's hard to tell without a comparison.

Would my next step be to replace the lamp? I am hoping that it is. Given the TV's age, I'm guessing any other repair will essentially total it...and I am not keen on replacing the TV at this time. Anything else I could have missed? If it is the lamp, any recommendations on where to buy one these days? Thanks for any insight.
post #1028 of 1037 Old 08-28-2012, 10:00 AM

I had the exact same symptoms... replacing the lamp corrected the issue. The lamp I had was made by phillips, the same as the lamp origanally used. You can get just the plain lamp and reuse the cage it is mounted in or purchase the lamp cage assembly. I ordered mine off of eBay.

Mine was under warranty, but the replacement took so long I ordered just the bulb myself. The warranty replacement came and that was in the cage. The replacement lamp lasted a few years before the blanking out symptoms you describe started... Changing to the replacement bulb corrected that.
post #1029 of 1037 Old 01-09-2013, 09:02 AM

ok...gonna revive this thread after almost 5 months and see if I can't get any help...my 55" began losing picture and audio periodically a few weeks ago. I'd turn the set off and back on and it would work ok for sometimes hours and eventually those hours turned to nothing and now, with the current bulb that I replaced a little over 3 years ago and the original bulb that I had kept and re-installed after this latest issue, I get nothing. Could I simply need a new bulb that works and hope that I get a picture again or do I have a ballast or optical block problem? I almost don't want to invest the $100 or whatever on ebay to get another bulb if it's one of the other problems. How do I tell if it's something else other than just the bulb at this point? Any help/theories will be appreciated. I've had this set one month shy of 6 years.
post #1030 of 1037 Old 01-09-2013, 03:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Since 2/96 View Post

ok...gonna revive this thread after almost 5 months and see if I can't get any help...my 55" began losing picture and audio periodically a few weeks ago. I'd turn the set off and back on and it would work ok for sometimes hours and eventually those hours turned to nothing and now, with the current bulb that I replaced a little over 3 years ago and the original bulb that I had kept and re-installed after this latest issue, I get nothing. Could I simply need a new bulb that works and hope that I get a picture again or do I have a ballast or optical block problem? I almost don't want to invest the $100 or whatever on ebay to get another bulb if it's one of the other problems. How do I tell if it's something else other than just the bulb at this point? Any help/theories will be appreciated. I've had this set one month shy of 7 years.

Yes you may just need a new lamp. Three years is a good expectation for lamp life.

It can be difficult to distinguish between a lamp failure and something else related to the lamp. When it shuts down do you get a lamp failure or other failure indications on the front panel LEDs?

A hot lamp is more difficult for the ballast to operate than a cold lamp. As the lamp ages, it also becomes more difficult to operate because the arc gap grows.

These models are also notorious for plugged-up lamp cooling fans which will shorten lamp life or cause thermal shutdowns. If you can take off the back and take a look at the lamp's main fan, you might see that.

If you replace the lamp, get a genuine Sony, a Philips or an Osram. If you get a cheap knockoff lamp from ebay your troubleshooting process can get messed up because the knockoff lamps have a high failure rate out-of-the-box and if they work they don't last longer than a few months. Count on spending $75-90.
post #1031 of 1037 Old 01-10-2013, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckF. View Post

Yes you may just need a new lamp. Three years is a good expectation for lamp life.

It can be difficult to distinguish between a lamp failure and something else related to the lamp. When it shuts down do you get a lamp failure or other failure indications on the front panel LEDs?

A hot lamp is more difficult for the ballast to operate than a cold lamp. As the lamp ages, it also becomes more difficult to operate because the arc gap grows.

These models are also notorious for plugged-up lamp cooling fans which will shorten lamp life or cause thermal shutdowns. If you can take off the back and take a look at the lamp's main fan, you might see that.

If you replace the lamp, get a genuine Sony, a Philips or an Osram. If you get a cheap knockoff lamp from ebay your troubleshooting process can get messed up because the knockoff lamps have a high failure rate out-of-the-box and if they work they don't last longer than a few months. Count on spending $75-90.

Thanks Chuck...I hadn't been in here in over 3 years since my original bulb began to dim. I didn't let it get to the point this 2nd one did and therefore had never seen the red LED blinking lights until now, so yes, I did see them. I'd have to look back in the thread but I believe the lamp I got to replace the original was an Osram and I got it on ebay for about $100.00. That's my next stop. I'll await its' arrival and hopefully report back with good news!

edit: just ordered a Philips lamp with housing for $84.99 - due to be here Wed., Jan 16.
post #1032 of 1037 Old 01-16-2013, 06:00 AM

lamp/housing showed up yesterday and all is well again for another 3 years hopefully, although I'm looking forward to hanging a 60"+ on the wall one day... :-)
post #1033 of 1037 Old 03-14-2013, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 692
I have a kdfe55a20 that has been flawless other than replacing a bulb. This week I notice a pink stripe across the top. Any ideas? Is it time for new unit?

post #1034 of 1037 Old 03-15-2013, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
This is almost certainly an optical block defect rearing its ugly head. See the link in my signature below for details.

Sony LCD Rear Projection TV Problems: informational web site
SPL Moxi FAQ: comprehensive guide to Moxi DVRs.
post #1035 of 1037 Old 03-15-2013, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by splinke View Post

This is almost certainly an optical block defect rearing its ugly head. See the link in my signature below for details.
Thanks for that info and diagnosis. The set has been great but I think I hear Samsung calling my name smile.gif
post #1036 of 1037 Old 03-15-2013, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 49
Hey guys, I had the kdfe60a20 from September 05 until April 2012 when the pink stripe blotch started to occur. After already buying 3 lamps I researched, shopped like a maniac and bought a 60" Samsung un60es8000. This LCD is the sexiest piece of electronics and is dialed in producing the most stunning picture I have ever seen. It took some weaning off to step away from Sony but...it was am amazing move.

I still have the massive Sony on its matching table in my game room. The dealer told me there was a recall on year 4 or so but my tv did not show the issue until after the recall program expired.

Oh well...4 or 5 years is about what we can expect nowadays???? I loved that Sony so much but....its simply dim and lifeless compared to my Samsung but I am happy its still in service for gaming and Wii for the kids.

Love for all things Hi-def...Losing count; 200 plus bluray, 500 plus dvd, 30 plus HDdvd and a rapidly growing 50 plus in the cloud.

post #1037 of 1037 Old 10-09-2013, 11:32 AM

in July this year my KDF-E55A20 started showing the blue pixels on bottom of screen it has gotten progressively worse and now covers 20-30% of screen. Then in Sept the screen started going blank for several seconds at a time. I know it is time to replace the lamp but should I bother since it appears that I now have the optical block problem that is well documented?. Is sony doing anything with these claims or rhould I file in small claims?

Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page