>>> The Official Sony Grand Wega V (A10 series) Thread <<< - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 10848 Old 08-01-2005, 04:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by km23 View Post

The TV will cost less than 2K, but calibration is 1K? I'd rather not pay that much. $40 for a DVD calibration should be good enough for me.

ISF Calibratation can be done for between $300-400 dollars, I don't think anyone is expecting you to purchase the equipment to do this or even know how to do this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 10848 Old 08-01-2005, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by km23 View Post

Can someone reccomend the DVD's that setup the calibration for your TV? Which one is the best one?

Use a THX-certified DVD that has a video setup menu on the disc to optimize the picture. Various titles contain this menu....X-Men is an example. THEN, have your tv professionally calibrated.
post #453 of 10848 Old 08-01-2005, 04:14 PM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpbreg View Post

...On that note, any recommendations for someone to calibrate in the NJ area?

I would contact Eliab at www.avical.com.
post #454 of 10848 Old 08-01-2005, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Does anyone know if Sony redid the digital part of these new sets to directly work with the HDMI signal? In the previous version I read that they convert the HDMI back to analog component video and fed it into the same analog switch that is used for the other inputs on the back of the set.

"We've got to get in to get out..."
post #455 of 10848 Old 08-01-2005, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

- Color - Reds and Green do "push" dramatically. I'm not sure I understand why people are making such a big deal about this. Everyone I talk to says you have to get a set of this quality calibrated anyway.area?

Does that mean lower quality sets can't be helped with calibration?

Or maybe higher quality displays should come calibrated.

You observation is quite acute. And agrees with the mediocre CNET review. It is sounding like these later GWs are arriving even in worse tune than previous generations. Red push, is like standard equipment, anymore.

That's a shame. But good tweaking, and the incoporation of the iris should yield some stunning results.
post #456 of 10848 Old 08-01-2005, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRD57 View Post

Does anyone know if Sony redid the digital part of these new sets to directly work with the HDMI signal? In the previous version I read that they convert the HDMI back to analog component video and fed it into the same analog switch that is used for the other inputs on the back of the set.

There were rumors to that effect -- umr do you know anything about this?

My HT: 60" Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD (calibration soon), Krell electronics, B&W N802s.
post #457 of 10848 Old 08-01-2005, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoaddikt View Post

Does that mean lower quality sets can't be helped with calibration?

Or maybe higher quality displays should come calibrated.

You observation is quite acute. And agrees with the mediocre CNET review. It is sounding like these later GWs are arriving even in worse tune than previous generations. Red push, is like standard equipment, anymore.

That's a shame. But good tweaking, and the incoporation of the iris should yield some stunning results.

It's kind of sad but these TVs are kind of 'base' models....they are not Sonys high end "XBR" line, which in the past has had more adjustments than the regular series (at least that was the case with the CRT sets, I'm not sure on the projection units). That's not to say a good calibration won't make a tremendous difference in picture quality -- it will.

I would think the Qualia would be pretty darn good out of the box, but I honestly haven't read that 10,000 reply post yet, so maybe someone can summarize

I'd love to see a UMR Does Grand WEGA V thread

OK back to the A10s....come on owners, I'd love to see some more pictures and thoughts!

My HT: 60" Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD (calibration soon), Krell electronics, B&W N802s.
post #458 of 10848 Old 08-01-2005, 06:03 PM
umr
AVS Club Gold

The Qualia:
- Excellent color decoding out of the box.
- Fair gray scale out of the box.
- Excessive filtering/enhancement without service mode tweaks

Previous Grand Wegas all had color decoder, gray scale and filtering/enhancement issues.

I have not seen the Service Manual for the new sets so I don't know if they are converting to analog twice, but it is guaranteed that the LCD panels are analog. The SXRD (Qualia) panels are analog as well.

I have not seen a Sony TV yet that does not benefit from some serious service mode tweaking. That includes the Qualia and XBR lines.

Personally, I prefer the Sony line for adjustability. Their OTB settings though are not what I would choose.
post #459 of 10848 Old 08-01-2005, 06:45 PM

Just to clarify my calibration comment...everyone I talk to says that you need to calibrate this type of set. That means EITHER get someone to do it or do it with a DVD, tweaks, etc. I wasn't very clear in initially coveying my thought.
post #460 of 10848 Old 08-01-2005, 07:13 PM

local store finally set their 50" model up. it was in between a 60" XS sony and a 52" mitsu diamond dlp. both the others probably cost twice as much almost.

the source was comcast hd. the A10 more than held its own. i didn't spend a lot of time... the set hadn't been dialed in. the A10 seemed to be cranked up on color. the mitsu looked nicer, more natural, on a woman's yellow dress, but i would like to have seen the sony adjusted. greens were greener on the sony; blue tint on the mits. however... the A10 easily was better than the mitsu on black levels. the whites were also more white. the pq on the A10, for this feed, was very film-like. the XS seemed to jerk along in spurts as the camera panned; the A10 was a smooth pan. shadow detail was much better on the A10 than on the dlp. screendoor was maybe there, barely noticeable at about 8-9 feet. no sound to listen to, so no comment on that. the design is a huge improvement looks-wise over previous WEGAs, imo. the 50" A10 was about the same overall width as the WE series 42". plus the better lookin cabinet. i kinda wish the dark gray bezel was even darker, like dull black almost. oh well on that.

i think i'm sold on it, esp at the price. my only consideration is whether i want this or something like a 42" plasma, mainly cuz it would look better in the room at the moment, then maybe add a front projector in the family room for real movie experience... decisions, decisions... (one comment - what's up that the 3 store guys couldn't have taken a few min from their busy standing around schedule to adjust the color sometime over the past few days???)

stan2
post #461 of 10848 Old 08-01-2005, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just to clarify my calibration comment...everyone I talk to says that you need to calibrate this type of set. That means EITHER get someone to do it or do it with a DVD, tweaks, etc. I wasn't very clear in initially coveying my thought.

And my somewhat sarcastic remark did not add any clarity.....I was still in agreement with the intent of your message.
Of course 'any' set can benefit from calibration..the more potential the display has, the greater difference it seems to make.
post #462 of 10848 Old 08-01-2005, 07:35 PM
Ph3

Liked: 12
Anyone know if Sony offers an extended warranty when you register the A10 online? Sears price for the extended warranty seems a little on the high side. Thanks in advance.
post #463 of 10848 Old 08-01-2005, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerriot View Post

No, I have not seen the new A10 models. If I had don't you think I would have injected my own personal opinion?

I made it clear that often times the first reports of a new set can be very questionable. People on these boards have often made up their mind that the new set is gonna be the holy grail and therefore the moment they see it in person they proclaim it the holy grail.

It just seems to me that if these new features, such as the Iris, were a marked improvement Sony would have included them on their more expensive models. Maybe the iris does in fact add something to the picture but i'm just not so sure considering the facts. Not to mention Cnet has now released their official review for the new A10 model and they rated it the exact same as last year's WE655 model. Don't you think if there was some big improvement it would have been noted in the review? The reviewer makes no mention of any improvements over last year's WE655 model. In fact, he make a point of mentioning the things that were removed from last year's model such as the picture in picture.

http://reviews.cnet.com/Sony_KDF_E50...l?tag=topprods

The 2 1/2 year old Sony 70" XBR series has the Cinema Black feature. I wouldn't call $7000 cheap.
post #464 of 10848 Old 08-01-2005, 08:13 PM

Quote:

That means i'll finally be able to see one myself tomorrow afternoon. Seeing as i've owned a GW III for the past year I think I can give another good perspective for many of you who are waiting to hear more about this tv and how it compares to Sony's previous LCD Projection sets.

I'm looking forward to reading your opinions on this.

Also, after reading your posts in this topic (you make some excellent points about the new A10s) I'm considering the KDF50WE655. Have you seen an A20? How do you think the picture compares? The 655 doesn't have 3LCD technology, right? Does it use the WEGA Gate?
post #465 of 10848 Old 08-01-2005, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umr View Post

The Qualia:

Previous Grand Wegas all had color decoder, gray scale and filtering/enhancement issues.

I have not seen the Service Manual for the new sets so I don't know if they are converting to analog twice, but it is guaranteed that the LCD panels are analog. The SXRD (Qualia) panels are analog as well.

I have not seen a Sony TV yet that does not benefit from some serious service mode tweaking. That includes the Qualia and XBR lines.

Personally, I prefer the Sony line for adjustability. Their OTB settings though are not what I would choose.

umr - so conversion back to analog is common for this type of display? Doesn't that go against the whole DVI/HDMI's "all digital is mo' better" thought process, or am I worrying my little nogin over nothing? Thanx in advance.

JD

"We've got to get in to get out..."
post #466 of 10848 Old 08-01-2005, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkaStp View Post

Hi, I'm a bit confused by what seem to be conflicting statements...

First you say...
2. There is a significant amount of red push. Anything that is a solid red color bled into the surroundings. I know they want the tv to look better than the adjacent tv in a brightly lit showroom, but this is way more than I can accept.
3. The greens were also set way to high, but not as bad as the reds.

Then you say...
1. Much richer, deeper and more lifelike colors than the a20 or Sammy DLP's.

If you could not get to adjust the picture settings to correct the red and green push to get the colors more accurate then how can you say that the A10's colors were richer, deeper and more lifelike colors than the a20 or Sammy DLPs? Am I misunderstanding something?

I'm not trying to be difficult, just trying to understand where the colors are really at on the A10.

Good point, I should have been more clear.

1. When the red push and other Bad items weren't evident, the picture on the A10 was very good and lifelike and I preferred it over the Sammy DLP's. Unfortunately, the salesmen wouldn't let me try to knock the color levels back down to see if I could correct the red push or any other problem. Apparently, UE has a Customers don't touch the remote type of rule. I am not keen on spending money, if required, on professional calibration to fix known problems. I'd rather use that money towards a plasma or other tv that didn't need professional calibration. So, does anyone know if this problem can be fixed without entering the service menus?

2. The SSE issue was very evident even at 7' to me. Is there a way to minimize or eliminate this problem?

3. Even without being able to tweak the settings, I think this is a decent value for a new set. However, I think it is misleading for any reviewer to imply this set is without drawbacks. In other words, any post lacking even a small amount criticism loses all credibility with me.

4. I only offer my unlearned opinion in the near absence of real reviews in this thread. I would love to hear more reviews and impressions from people who actually have this set in their house and have had the time to tweak the settings rather than reading about speculation on why Sony did this or that or left certain features out. The A10 is what is, so instead, let's talk about what it is and whether or not the public should pay over $2,200 for this boob-tube.
post #467 of 10848 Old 08-01-2005, 09:00 PM

I have been following all threads pertaining to the new Sony's with the attention that one would alot for the next door neighbour that tends to sunbathe in the nude and has a Playboy body.
That said,
I have come to realize that reading other people's reviews of the televisions in question is a waste of time. If they had objective comments or complaints then it would be worthy but to endure subjective commentary is useless.
For those that have posted the reviews, I think it is cool of you to spend the time and I don't mean to criticize you(s) but I do criticize the overall review process.

There
Take Care
Tec
post #468 of 10848 Old 08-01-2005, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm sorry but, did someone say naked Playboy body...? No wonder you've lost patience for us...we're not nearly as attractive and quite frankly, when it comes to Playboy nakedness, we're not as interesting...

I agree that a lot of the reviews are "wow" and "super" and maybe over-enthusiastic, but that's the problem with "user reviews" instead of those by "unbiased" sources (ie- magazines, online sources, etc). People have a vested interest in what they've just bought and want to feel good about it.

Jason

Custom Built For The Win!
post #469 of 10848 Old 08-01-2005, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggghhh View Post

Good point, I should have been more clear.

1. When the red push and other Bad items weren't evident, the picture on the A10 was very good and lifelike and I preferred it over the Sammy DLP's. Unfortunately, the salesmen wouldn't let me try to knock the color levels back down to see if I could correct the red push or any other problem. Apparently, UE has a Customers don't touch the remote type of rule. I am not keen on spending money, if required, on professional calibration to fix known problems. I'd rather use that money towards a plasma or other tv that didn't need professional calibration. So, does anyone know if this problem can be fixed without entering the service menus?

2. The SSE issue was very evident even at 7' to me. Is there a way to minimize or eliminate this problem?

3. Even without being able to tweak the settings, I think this is a decent value for a new set. However, I think it is misleading for any reviewer to imply this set is without drawbacks. In other words, any post lacking even a small amount criticism loses all credibility with me.

4. I only offer my unlearned opinion in the near absence of real reviews in this thread. I would love to hear more reviews and impressions from people who actually have this set in their house and have had the time to tweak the settings rather than reading about speculation on why Sony did this or that or left certain features out. The A10 is what is, so instead, let's talk about what it is and whether or not the public should pay over $2,200 for this boob-tube.

1. Probably not, but going into the service menu isn't a big deal. At least you can adjust the color decoder via the service menu with the Sony LCDs. It's fairly trivial to do this with Avia. This community is very lucky to have UMR - our Sony Grand Wegas are all orders of magnitude better than the ones whose owners have never been able to reference his information.

2. I refuse to perpetuate the use of this "SSE" moniker. Search the Internet - it's not referenced. Period. Please stop using it. If what you're seeing is motion blur, call it motion blur. Same for temporal dithering, internal reflections, or posterization. If it's motion blur, it's likely being caused by the source. Same for posterization (also known as clay-face) Sony LCDs have enough bit depth (partly due to the fact that they're analog) that "clay face" is not an artifact that the display causes. DLPs have clay-face, LCDs no clay-face.

I guess you'd have to see the dramatic differences that UMR's service menu tweaks can make before you can understand just how worthless out of the box reviews are. Good or bad. One service menu setting turns off a filter that basically blurs everything. I'm not even joking. It's like a veil has been lifted after you remove the setting and increase the sharpness.

This set is simply an evolutionary step - Sony has been making sets like this since the late 90s. (making this the 6th generation if you count the KL-W9000) That means that there isn't much to wonder about - it's going to be good. If you still have concerns, buy from a place with a 30 day return policy and just get a different one if you don't like how it looks after you tweak it.
post #470 of 10848 Old 08-01-2005, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umr View Post

The Qualia:

UMR, just out of curiosity does the Panasonic PT-52LCX65 use analog panels as well? Is it fairly common for these RPTVs to use analog panels? What's the trade off/benefit? Thanks
post #471 of 10848 Old 08-01-2005, 10:17 PM

Just ordered mine , should be here Wed. Smokin price. Can't wait. HTPC here I come.
post #472 of 10848 Old 08-01-2005, 10:54 PM
AVS Special Member

"1. Probably not, but going into the service menu isn't a big deal. At least you can adjust the color decoder via the service menu with the Sony LCDs. It's fairly trivial to do this with Avia. This community is very lucky to have UMR - our Sony Grand Wegas are all orders of magnitude better than the ones whose owners have never been able to reference his information."

Does the A10 allow for service access without putting in a secret code like turning the TV off, pressing 5, sprinkling salt on the remote, pressing 14, reciting the Gettysburg address, then pressing channel +?
post #473 of 10848 Old 08-01-2005, 11:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Tigerriot,

Thanks for the info about Abt having the new sets. I'll have to take go & take a look. While I am interested in the 42" model, I'd like to at least check out the 50" version to see what it looks like. My local BB in the western burbs still didn't have an A10 as of last Friday. They did have the old 42" for $1499. Great price, but I don't want that big gray/silver look.

Mike
post #474 of 10848 Old 08-01-2005, 11:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Joanr,

Thanks for TV stand info,

Mike
post #475 of 10848 Old 08-01-2005, 11:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

So, i've been closely monitoring these new Sony A10 models but i've also considered just buying one of the 42" WE655 models on a closeout price instead. Throughout this investigating one question keeps coming back to me. If some of these new features on the A10 are so great why wouldn't Sony even offer them on the more expensive A20 models?

Their are several reasons the iris may not have been on the A20 models. One potential reason is that they decided that for their larger TVs only the 50" and 60" SXRDs that are coming out this October would have the dynamic iris. Another is that Sony might have decided to recycle the old model cabinets for the A20's and that they were not capable of supporting a dynamic iris.

Quote:

In a nutshell it just seems to me that many people in this thread are just assuming that the A10 is gonna be this big improvement over the WE655. If this dynamic Iris was a huge upgrade why on earth wouldn't Sony include it in the recently released and more expensive A20 models? It make no sense. If you believe the lower resolution of the A10 is not gonna be visibly different than why does Sony still offer the upgraded resolution in the higher priced models?

Just to clarify this but their has only been one other display to ever get the dynamic iris from Sony and that was the HS51. Many other displays have had CPB or a variable iris, but the HS51 was the very first Sony display to get a dynamic iris. And the KDF-E42/50A10 are now the second line of displays to get it. And when the new Sony SXRDs, which are coming out this October, are released they will be the third line of displays to get it. The iris is a major update to front/rear projector technology and by next year I think it will be found on all but the lowest priced front/rear projectors.

Quote:

It just seems to me that it's very possible that Sony cut corners on this newer A10 model to save money and that in fact the WE655 could very well be the better overall tv. Does the A10 offer some nice extras over the 655? Sure, the PC input is nice as is the extra side component input. But, besides those two inputs and the dynamic iris there are no other additions over the WE655 and i've already pointed out numerous things that were removed from the A10 models.

If you don't believe the dynamic iris will make a difference and honestly think the current WE655 model is the better deal than you probably should buy it while it is discounted. Personally I wouldn't because I think the dynamic iris will make a great difference in picture quality based on what is has done on the HS51. To me a dynamic iris and a PC input are very great additions to have and though the A10 is far from perfect my guess is that it will easily be a better display than the WE655.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeper78 View Post

So just because there is overscan on the HDMI input, does that mean it's not 1:1? I wouldn't think so. It just means that the projector is projecting past the edges of the physical screen, right?

That is a possibility. Most RP LCDs and DLPs though do not project past the edge of the screen more than a little. As such I would guess that most of the cropping is still being done by the display and might therefore be changed in the service menu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmrbigx View Post

I'm sick of this. I called my local BB today and they said they could order me the new 42' model and have it delivered to my house for free with 100 off the listed 1999.99 price. I am a huge video gamer and was wondering if I should just go ahead and return the sammy for this one? The sammy cost me just a little over 2200.00 I have comcast HD if that helps too. Thanks in advance.

It depends if your planning on getting an X-box 360. If so the VGA input on the Sony might make it worth while. Also the larger screen size and dynamic iris would most likely make the display better for gaming than a 32" flat panel LCD.

Quote:

Though the final input signal for LCD panels is analog it is always best to keep the signal digital until it reaches the panels. Their are certain ways I think that this can be tested but my guess is that the WEGA engine with the new TV's probably keeps the digital signal digital until it reaches the LCD panels. It would be nice though to know that for certain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipcrkr View Post

The 2 1/2 year old Sony 70" XBR series has the Cinema Black feature. I wouldn't call $7000 cheap.

Though Sony now lumps the dynamic iris together with the name Cinema Black Pro I am fairly certain that no Sony TV before the HS51 had a dynamic iris. The dynamic iris is very new and this is the first year that manufacturers have started including one in their TVs.
post #476 of 10848 Old 08-02-2005, 12:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Paul View Post

Though the final input signal for LCD panels is analog it is always best to keep the signal digital until it reaches the panels. Their are certain ways I think that this can be tested but my guess is that the WEGA engine with the new TV's probably keeps the digital signal digital until it reaches the LCD panels. It would be nice though to know that for certain.

In previous sets, Sony converted digital signals to analog pretty early on in the circuitry.

But if you think about it, what difference does it make as long as the picture looks good and by most accounts better than the competition.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #477 of 10848 Old 08-02-2005, 01:42 AM

So is it confirmed that the A10 has dynamic iris? I thought it just had advanced iris not like hs51 which has dynamic iris. Difference being that the iris is adjustable but not dynamic.
post #478 of 10848 Old 08-02-2005, 04:40 AM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlamDunken View Post

UMR, just out of curiosity does the Panasonic PT-52LCX65 use analog panels as well? Is it fairly common for these RPTVs to use analog panels? What's the trade off/benefit? Thanks

All LCD panels are driven analog. The benefit is you have fewer problems with loss of resolution. Devices like D-ILA and DLP tend to have problems with posturization that is caused by loss of bit depth. Analog circuitry does not have that problem.
post #479 of 10848 Old 08-02-2005, 04:52 AM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

umr - so conversion back to analog is common for this type of display? Doesn't that go against the whole DVI/HDMI's "all digital is mo' better" thought process, or am I worrying my little nogin over nothing? Thanx in advance.

JD

All digital is not very common and many of the displays that offer it are rather poor in my opinion. Minimizing the number of digital to analog conversions is a desirable goal, but it is not a necessity or decisive factor. My favorite display technology today is SXRD and it is driven analog. My second favorite is Brillian's LCoS which also happens to be analog.

Many digital display devices have to use tricks to display an image that cause more objectionable display artifacts.
post #480 of 10848 Old 08-02-2005, 05:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlamDunken View Post

So is it confirmed that the A10 has dynamic iris? I thought it just had advanced iris not like hs51 which has dynamic iris. Difference being that the iris is adjustable but not dynamic.

Yes the A10's have a dynamic iris which can be found in the user manual on page 9.

Also for those that have a black frame while using the TV's VGA input their are 4 display settings for the VGA input that can be seen on page 71 of the user manual. Two of which will cause a black frame to appear around the picture.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page