>>> The Official Sony Grand Wega V (A10 series) Thread <<< - Page 196 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5851 of 10847 Old 01-12-2006, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toony View Post

Earlier this week I posted about by 42A10 that I bought from ABT here in Chicago. I love it, but unfortunately had a big green blotch in the upper left hand corner. Probably dust or something, but I wasn't going to have them fix a brand new set. I demanded a swap out.

This morning ABT delivered the replacement and took away the other one. Happy to report there is no green blotch. Thanks goodness.

However, there is one stuck green pixel about 4" from the left side and about 5" down. It's bright. I can sometimes see it (escpecially now that I'm looking for at) while seated about 10 feet away.

Question is, what should I do? I know stuck pixels are common. I can call ABT and make them bring me yet another one, but I know the next one may have similar or other problems.

I have read on line that some PSPers use a video flashing red, green and blue to unstick pixels. Can anyone comment on this? Does it work? Is there a DVD that does this?

There's also talk of massaging the stuck pixel but this tv has the glare screen so massaging the area would seem pointless, right?

Any help is appreciated. I really love everything about this set: the picture, the design, the sound, hell, I even like the remote. I'm not that hard to please, but for the money I don't want to be bothered by a tiny green dot forever.

Thanks.

The stuck pixel would be on the LCD panel, so massaging or any other handling of the screen would do nothing. The screen is no different than any other projection set's. what's different is what is used to project the image onto the screen, ie CRT vs, DLP chip set, vs LCD panel or sxrd panel. They would have to replace the chip set to eliminate the stuck pixel.

Phil Tomaskovic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5852 of 10847 Old 01-12-2006, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Tomaskovic View Post

The stuck pixel would be on the LCD panel, so massaging or any other handling of the screen would do nothing. The screen is no different than any other projection set's. what's different is what is used to project the image onto the screen, ie CRT vs, DLP chip set, vs LCD panel or sxrd panel. They would have to replace the chip set to eliminate the stuck pixel.

Thanks. But, and correct me if I'm wrong, one stuck pixel is within Sony's error margin. So is it worth the effort to swap this out again? Or are the chances of getting a worse set that high?

Have you heard of the video fix? Does that even make sense, to "stimulate" the stuck pixel back to life?

Thanks again.
post #5853 of 10847 Old 01-12-2006, 12:30 PM

Well Best Buy has no more 42A10's. And the authorized Sony Technician would need to come to my house during the day, take the TV, work on it in their shop, and then return it 2-3 days later during the day. I don't think I should have to take 2 days off work just to get a working TV. So, back to Best Buy it goes. I think someone out there doesn't want me to have a big screen TV.
post #5854 of 10847 Old 01-12-2006, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

Thanks. But, and correct me if I'm wrong, one stuck pixel is within Sony's error margin. So is it worth the effort to swap this out again? Or are the chances of getting a worse set that high?

Have you heard of the video fix? Does that even make sense, to "stimulate" the stuck pixel back to life?

Thanks again.

What is this video fix? And I have at least one stuck/dead pixel and could be up to three (it's kind of hard to tell up close, and about 6 feet away you don't notice it anyway). TV is just about 2 months old so it's well within the one year warranty.
post #5855 of 10847 Old 01-12-2006, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman69 View Post

What is this video fix? And I have at least one stuck/dead pixel and could be up to three (it's kind of hard to tell up close, and about 6 feet away you don't notice it anyway). TV is just about 2 months old so it's well within the one year warranty.

In the PSP forums there's a rapid-fire color changing MP4 video that is supposed to revitalize stuck, not dead, pixels. I posted to find out if anyone has tried this and if it works.

And I guess I also don't know how to download an MP4 video and make that play on my DVD player.

Anyone?
post #5856 of 10847 Old 01-12-2006, 12:53 PM

Quote:

Thanks again.

I don't know if one stuck pixel is in Sony's margin. I did have 3 stuck pixels that were 1 foot from the right side and then 10 inchs down from the top. One was bright red the others were bright green. All three were visible from the sitting area. I spoke with Sony and they had a tech come out to access the pixels. Sony ended up authorizing optics engine replacement. Needless to say the tech that performed my optics engine replacement totally botched the service. He left my tv taken apart for two weeks on my coffee table. He also stripped key wires and ended up really not knowing how to swap out the engine. After a week of going back and forth with missed appointments with the tech and arguing with Sony on the phone Sony authorized a brand new TV swap. They deleivered my new TV last week and I am happy to say there are no problems with this set. No stuck pixels or dust blobs. I am very happy now... but trust me it was a total headache for two weeks seeing my tv in shambles.

edit... btw the tech calls Sony and gives them exact locations of the pixels. Sony then calculates the error rate of the pixels in that location and if it meets there criteria they authorize a optics engine replacement.

[he_who_dares_wins]-[sas]
post #5857 of 10847 Old 01-12-2006, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorturEd View Post

Hey everyone on my 50" A10 I have the geometry problem where the top left of the screen is lower than the right side (about a 1/4 inch) when watching dvds or tv programs with the black bars on the top and bottom. I have a service guy coming out to look at it on thursday. They contacted sony and sonys says they know nothing about this problem. Do you think they will fix it ? I have had my Tv for less than a month and I can't return it because where I bought it from (The Brick in Canada) they only have a 7 day return policy. I bought a 5 year warrenty from them but they said it does not start until sonys 1 year warrenty is up. Has anyone had this problem or have had this problem fixed. All I know is they better dame well fix it. Also the service people say that sony likes to give the run around and sony said that if it is only a little lower to bad. Does anyone know how much off it has to be for sony to do something ?

Thanks Ed

Well the tech guy came out and measured (it was a 1/4 inch) then went back to talk to sony and they said it was within there tolerance level so I have to live with it which is bull **** but I guess there is nothing I can do. So needless to say this will be the last sony tv I ever buy or maybe even sony product. I do not feel after paying about $2900.00 Canadian after taxes for this tv I should have to live with it. So **** Sony.
post #5858 of 10847 Old 01-12-2006, 03:46 PM

Well, I'm on set number 2 and counted 5 pixels stuck blue, 3 stuck green, 2-3 red, and at least another 2 or so dead (black). Set 3 will be here tomarrow......bah
post #5859 of 10847 Old 01-12-2006, 05:05 PM

Toggle - where are you getting these from? I personally know 4 people that have gotten this set, including myself, who have had *zero* stuck/dead pixels or color blobs.

No signature here...
post #5860 of 10847 Old 01-12-2006, 07:30 PM

Circuit City, This is set number 2 number 3 will be delivered tomarrow hopefully. I dont know man, am I to picky or just jinxed? Set number 2 has a manufacter date of nov 2005. didnt think to look at the first one. When you say zero bad or dead pixels are you talking about from your viewing distance? Or none to be found period? All I want is a good set d*mnit lol I'm actully now wondering is number 3 will be worse than number 2. I have till the 23rd on my 30 day guarantee
post #5861 of 10847 Old 01-12-2006, 07:49 PM

I returned my first set for 1 stuck pixel. The second one had absolutly no bad pixels and is doing great 4 monthes later.

Michael
post #5862 of 10847 Old 01-12-2006, 08:08 PM

mcmoore, so you examined the whole screen and only came across 1?? Geez they must be sending me the crap sets.......

Also maybe a few of yall could do me a favor. I'm wondering if I'm crazy and just expecting to much. Or maybe seeing things (loosing my mind?)

Could some of you take a look at your set for me? If you turn it on but without a source input. Is the whole screen uniformly black (or dark grey, since this is an lcd)??? Or do you see different hues of colors in it?

On mine I have a green hue in the top right corner, blue hue in the top left. and a bit of a red hue on the bottom left a bit more towards the center. .....oh and the stuck pixels too but we've covered that LOL Set number 1 had the blue in the top left but no green in the right.

The ones on top are noticeable on anything letterboxed. My 30 days will soon be up and I think I'm about to bug out LOL
post #5863 of 10847 Old 01-12-2006, 08:10 PM

I've looked my set over pretty close - I'm at about 8-9 feet viewing distance but even up close to the screen I can't see anything out of order. My only complaint about the set is the pincushion geometry is a tad off but it's not enough for me to have it serviced unless it somehow gets worse. I also got mine from Circuit City, but I'm surprised I didn't have problems as they treat their merchandise like crap. When they brought the TV, the delivery guy plugged the power cord into the outlet on the back of my cable box. Might have been convenient if it wasn't a TV that needs to run a fan when it's shut off! Sheesh.

No signature here...
post #5864 of 10847 Old 01-12-2006, 08:14 PM

by pincushion you mean the lines on the side of 4:3 bow? If so ya i got a tad of that too.

clarkson what was your bu
ild date. probbably doesnt mean anything though lol
post #5865 of 10847 Old 01-12-2006, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Dead/stuck pixels are the nature of LCD technology. Why are people complaining about this? Sure, if you had a whole row or cluster of them then that wouldn't be normal. I wouldn't worry about a few stray ones though.

Toggle, the issue you describe has been covered in the Grand Wega V tweaks thread. Again, it's common unless the colors are bleeding excessively. In that case I'd call Sony for a light engine replacement.
post #5866 of 10847 Old 01-13-2006, 04:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric23 View Post

I just bought the KDF-E42A10 and wonder if anyone else has had any experience with the following:

I have noticed while watching football games in HD that certain things sort of flash when they are in motion. I see this with helmets, the white part of the football, yard lines, etc. I have even seen this on the American flag on the refs uniform.

Has anyone else seen this? Any ideas as to what the problem is?

I have the SA8300HD cable box from Cablevision.

I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

I have not seen this on mine. (42" here too).

carry on with your HD-Lite Directv loving banter! <--Comedy Gold
Don't fall for the HDMI 1.3 Hype!
post #5867 of 10847 Old 01-13-2006, 04:18 AM

Liked: 11
Originally Posted by Eric23
I just bought the KDF-E42A10 and wonder if anyone else has had any experience with the following:

I have noticed while watching football games in HD that certain things sort of flash when they are in motion. I see this with helmets, the white part of the football, yard lines, etc. I have even seen this on the American flag on the refs uniform.

Has anyone else seen this? Any ideas as to what the problem is?

I have the SA8300HD cable box from Cablevision.

I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

Last week's football games, ABC's picture was flawless, CBS' suffered pixelization on Cable and OTA.

It appears the problem was the broadcast not the RP LCD.

I love this HD stuff!
post #5868 of 10847 Old 01-13-2006, 04:19 AM
Advanced Member

I don't think it's your tv. The local ABC digital channel in Cincinnati had the same problem for almost 2 years and they just resolved the problem 2 days ago? Something in their equipment was causing the signal to be reduced to 1280 x 360 resulting in jagged shimmering lines etc. Luckily I had another source for ABC to the north of me in Dayton.

Scott
post #5869 of 10847 Old 01-13-2006, 05:51 AM

our cbs in austin looks the worst out of the digital OTAs. it pixelizes quite a lot. FOX, NBC and ABC look great, though. PBS looks the best out of all of them.
post #5870 of 10847 Old 01-13-2006, 06:24 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toggleswitch View Post

Also maybe a few of yall could do me a favor. I'm wondering if I'm crazy and just expecting to much. Or maybe seeing things (loosing my mind?)

Could some of you take a look at your set for me? If you turn it on but without a source input. Is the whole screen uniformly black (or dark grey, since this is an lcd)??? Or do you see different hues of colors in it? ...

I checked my set out fairly carefully. For sample defects I have one stuck green pixel near the center that I can't see from normal distances so I've never noticed it during normal viewing. The no-input background is a reasonably uniform dark blue/gray. It may be very slightly brighter near the lower center but I'm not sure about that because the effect is very slight and it could just be my eyes. I don't have anything that I would call an abnormal geometry problem. For me the defects that would be common to all A10s like SSE, CR, posterization, SDE etc significantly outweigh my set's sample defects. The problems in some sources in turn are more likely to bother me than any of the set's defects. Maybe if/when Blue-Ray disks (or HD-DVD?) become my most important source the A10s' defects will trouble me enough to cause me to upgrade but right now overall the set is great but most sources aren't (but once in awhile I see an HD program that makes me go wow and wish all programs were that good).

- John
post #5871 of 10847 Old 01-13-2006, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTropic View Post

Got my 42A10 last night. I'm so disappointed - I have a grapefruit sized pink splotch at the bottom of the screen. Some people have mentioned these before but they don't sound as bad as mine. We watched Wedding Crashers and the pink colour overpowered everything on screen in that area. The only time you can't see it is when the TV is off.

I'm especially disillusioned because I returned a Samsung 42" DLP last week because it had wavy gray marks on the back of the screen too.

I'm sick of running back and forth to the store. Does anyone have any experience with service from Sony Canada? Or any other helpful suggestions?

Thank you!

Guess what? I got home last night and the pink splotch had moved up about 10"!!! I kept messing about cycling through the various picture options, wide etc. and it seemed to move up a bit more. It was now right at the top of the screen, only half onscreen. Turned off the set and came back 30 mins later - still there. Messed around with my S Video connection, and it was gone! So it's either something to do with the cable/connection or unrelated and happened to disappear at that time. Very weird. Could an S Video connection affect all inputs? I was seeing the blob no matter which video input I was on. Scared to move the connection again... Maybe I do need Monster Cables (j/k )

Otehr than that the picture is very good. Only slight geometry problems in 4:3 (pincushion). Used the THX optimizer on the T2 Extreme disc and the geometry and centering of the "circle in a rectangle screen" is better than any TV I've owned.
post #5872 of 10847 Old 01-13-2006, 07:56 AM

Question:

Where an HD feed exists for an OTC channel (i.e. both 11.1 and 11) is there any reason to keep the non-HD channel in the rotation when clicking through the stations? To my eye, there doesn't appear to be a quality difference between the SD feed when viewed 11.1 or 11 so setting 11 to "skipped" would appear to reduce redundancy.

Logicman

Proportion your belief based on the quality of the evidence (David Hume)
post #5873 of 10847 Old 01-13-2006, 08:14 AM

[quote=Dark Rain]Dead/stuck pixels are the nature of LCD technology. Why are people complaining about this? Sure, if you had a whole row or cluster of them then that wouldn't be normal. I wouldn't worry about a few stray ones though.
[quote]

DarkRain,

I understand what you're saying: perfection is an illusion. Yes. I know that one glowing green pixel is there. As I was watching the tv last night, I kept looking for it. Sometimes I could find it, but usually I could not. I found myself looking for the green pixel rather than watching the program. OK, that tells me maybe it's not such a big deal. But then a program with a mostly black/dark background comes on, and there it is. Also, because of the way my tv sits on the stand, I'm actually watching it from just below center. When I stand up, the glowing green pixel is even brighter.

I spent 2 large on this thing (incl. the 4-yr warantee) and I want a perfect set to start with.

I call ABT this morning and they're delivering set #3 tomorrow no questions asked.

And if #3 has the blue halo or the pink bottom, back it goes. It's no skin off my back to make them keep delivering me another one until I get one that works. Thank god I didn't buy this on-line or at some crappy retailer. ABT (who's salesmen I rather dislike due to their pushiness), have the absolult best and most lenient return/exchange policy.
post #5874 of 10847 Old 01-13-2006, 08:28 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by logicman1 View Post

Question:

Where an HD feed exists for an OTC channel (i.e. both 11.1 and 11) is there any reason to keep the non-HD channel in the rotation when clicking through the stations? To my eye, there doesn't appear to be a quality difference between the SD feed when viewed 11.1 or 11 so setting 11 to "skipped" would appear to reduce redundancy.

Logicman

I may be wrong but, I think if you remove the 11 it takes the 11.1 with it.

I love this HD stuff!
post #5875 of 10847 Old 01-13-2006, 08:29 AM

Thats exactly how I feel about it too. I mean come on. .....That will be 2 thousand dollars sir, oh and dont mind the glowing green,blue, or red dots. They're a "feature". That for me is kind of hard to swallow.

Actully at this point I'd take a set with 1-2 stuck pixels if I couldnt see them from viewing distance and there were no blue and green clouds in the corners...
post #5876 of 10847 Old 01-13-2006, 08:36 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 49
Quote:

Thats exactly how I feel about it too. I mean come on. .....That will be 2 thousand dollars sir, oh and dont mind the glowing green,blue, or red dots. They're a "feature". That for me is kind of hard to swallow.

Actully at this point I'd take a set with 1-2 stuck pixels if I couldnt see them from viewing distance and there were no blue and green clouds in the corners...

I guess I should be lucky with my 1-3 stuck pixels then? I think it's 1 pixel that's dead and it's affecting a pixel to the top and to the right (stuck).

Otherwise, I've got no problems with my set.
post #5877 of 10847 Old 01-13-2006, 08:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 99
All you veteran Microdisplay owners, please vote on lamp life here;
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=629175

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #5878 of 10847 Old 01-13-2006, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It might be hard to swallow, but this is a design flaw with LCDs.
post #5879 of 10847 Old 01-13-2006, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

DarkRain,

I understand what you're saying: perfection is an illusion. Yes. I know that one glowing green pixel is there. As I was watching the tv last night, I kept looking for it. Sometimes I could find it, but usually I could not. I found myself looking for the green pixel rather than watching the program. OK, that tells me maybe it's not such a big deal. But then a program with a mostly black/dark background comes on, and there it is. Also, because of the way my tv sits on the stand, I'm actually watching it from just below center. When I stand up, the glowing green pixel is even brighter.

I spent 2 large on this thing (incl. the 4-yr warantee) and I want a perfect set to start with.

I call ABT this morning and they're delivering set #3 tomorrow no questions asked.

And if #3 has the blue halo or the pink bottom, back it goes. It's no skin off my back to make them keep delivering me another one until I get one that works. Thank god I didn't buy this on-line or at some crappy retailer. ABT (who's salesmen I rather dislike due to their pushiness), have the absolult best and most lenient return/exchange policy.

Let us know when you get one without any stuck pixels and get one with perfect color uniformity.
post #5880 of 10847 Old 01-13-2006, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Rain View Post

Let us know when you get one without any stuck pixels and get one with perfect color uniformity.

Like I said, I know perfection is an illusion. But I will not accept a shining green glowing light eminating from my new expensive TV as long as I don't have to accept.

Am I wrong for having ABT swap it out until I'm satisfied? I think not.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page