>>> The Official Sony Grand Wega V (A10 series) Thread <<< - Page 362 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #10831 of 10848 Old 08-28-2013, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyworldcanad View Post

...I cannot help but sense a relation between the two. Interestingly, many of these posts experienced a time delay between lamp exchange and the blue screen splash. I would like to know the ratio of exploded bulbs. How many housing replacements?

This TV was a bit pricey to be lemon from such a good brand. Any thoughts?

The failure mode of the lamp (wearing out slowly vs. exploding) has no effect on the optical block failure. The optical blocks were inherently defective in that the polarization filters and liquid crystal panels could not handle the high levels of heat they were expected to absorb by blocking energy from the lamp. Yes, a lot of people got pricey lemons. Sony outsources much of their design and almost all of their manufacturing to third parties in China and Taiwan, just like most other major and discount brands. There is no longer any reason to pay extra for the Sony brand that used to dominate quality in the 1980s and 1990s.

Sony LCD Rear Projection TV Problems: informational web site
SPL Moxi FAQ: comprehensive guide to Moxi DVRs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10832 of 10848 Old 08-29-2013, 06:56 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by splinke View Post

The failure mode of the lamp (wearing out slowly vs. exploding) has no effect on the optical block failure. The optical blocks were inherently defective in that the polarization filters and liquid crystal panels could not handle the high levels of heat they were expected to absorb by blocking energy from the lamp. Yes, a lot of people got pricey lemons. Sony outsources much of their design and almost all of their manufacturing to third parties in China and Taiwan, just like most other major and discount brands. There is no longer any reason to pay extra for the Sony brand that used to dominate quality in the 1980s and 1990s.

What a sad, sad state of affairs. Sony owned a wide berth with the competition in terms of quality for years. I wonder if the pro Sony gear is suffering the same fate?

Well, I don't think I will bother to follow-up on this travesty with Sony. I read all the posts in this thread and sympathize with everyone who has suffered due to this inexcusable design flaw.

Now is the time to historically change brand loyalty.

Did anyone go the Panasonic route? I was looking at the TC-L50EM60 (no 3D, no smart) as a low risk alternative. Any thoughts or recommendations for a reliable 50" ?

How does this beauty compare to the rest of the groups?

post #10833 of 10848 Old 10-14-2013, 03:33 PM

Liked: 11
Oh, I remember those days. It was a nice little TV, and I'm glad that Sony handled the situation by providing a KDL-46NX700 at the time for only $600 (in March of 2010). I since then gave the set to my parents and moved on to a Panasonic (TC-L58E60) - not interested in 3D at this time.
post #10834 of 10848 Old 10-16-2013, 11:26 AM

Hi guys,I am having some difficulties with my Sony 50" LCD Projection TV HD-Monitor Grand WEGA model number: KFE50A10. It started with one square on the screen and now the issue covers most of the screen. It looks like squares of colored pixels, always on the same spot, only getting worst/more. Each pixel is only one color i think, many of them white. Together, they form different lines on the screen which makes the picture unbearable. It has some similarity with when the screen becomes snowy, but my problem occurs on all inputs as well as on the menu screen. I would appreciate any and all help. thanks guys

post #10835 of 10848 Old 12-31-2013, 08:04 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddx View Post

Hi guys,I am having some difficulties with my Sony 50" LCD Projection TV HD-Monitor Grand WEGA model number: KFE50A10. It started with one square on the screen and now the issue covers most of the screen. It looks like squares of colored pixels, always on the same spot, only getting worst/more. Each pixel is only one color i think, many of them white. Together, they form different lines on the screen which makes the picture unbearable. It has some similarity with when the screen becomes snowy, but my problem occurs on all inputs as well as on the menu screen. I would appreciate any and all help. thanks guys

Don't know if this was resolved or not. At this time I think you have to bite the bullet and go for a new set, if you haven't already. I believe the replacement program has ended.

Unfortunately I was a lucky one that hasn't had problems with the set lol. Still going strong, although it isn't very bright anymore. When the crap was hitting the fan I almost photoshopped some blobs to send in. I get the occasional color problems but never bad enough or long enough to snap pictures (I even set my camera on a tripod with a remote to try to catch the problem. Freaking spent $2000 on the thing, wish I spent a bit more and got a flat screen) All in all though I can't complain, I had to have a Sony and this was "cutting edge" at the time, I didn't want a dlp with a color wheel, just too bad that this tech only lasted a couple years.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Regards, (for the vast majority of people :-p)

Steve
post #10836 of 10848 Old 01-01-2014, 09:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddx View Post

You might want to contact SONY. Although the "official" replacement program that many of us took advantage of has ended, I thought I read a few months ago that they were offering some people some sort of deal.....

YMMV

DirecTV Amherst, NY
post #10837 of 10848 Old 01-01-2014, 01:36 PM

If you do find that Sony is offering something please post the details. I think our TV s have exceeded their intended lifespan, at least in Sony s eyes, but hey if they have a deal I'm not going to complain!

Steve
post #10838 of 10848 Old 01-05-2014, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
How many got lucky? Parents got one just as it was released. Still going strong. Bulb only replaced as a precaution. Still looks perfect. My mom is retired and it is on nearly half the day everyday in the dining room as she cooks and stuff. Picture is as good as the day I remember unboxing it.
post #10839 of 10848 Old 01-05-2014, 08:17 PM

I was a lucky one. Considering it was 2 grand for a 42" I believe it wasn't out for long. That thing was on constantly. I'd have to check the service menu for a hard number though. I was unlucky as I bought it from circuit city with the service plan that included a free bulb replacement, but my bulb blew after CC folded. Still a good picture except it can't compete with bright light. Could be because I didn't drop over 2 hundred on a Sony replacement bulb, our the fact that it has always been in a dim room except when my parents TV blew out. I'm pretty s sure it was nice and bright when new though. Need to change the contrast in the service menu, that should make things better, but Sony decided to turn the menu into gibberish. It also had a service bulletin where a tech came out and updated software. Not sure if that had anything to do with keeping the color block from going to crap though.

Steve
post #10840 of 10848 Old 01-12-2014, 05:04 PM

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk 2

Steve
post #10841 of 10848 Old 01-20-2014, 11:24 AM

Some one gave me a E50A10 this weekend. The screen was very dim and picture was set to "vivid". I don't have a remote so I can't check the hours on the bulb. I noticed a little bit of yellow glow near the center when the images is on something solid blue. I assume the blue polarizer might have some problems like described here. I also see a little bit of red near the bottom edge of screen

I'm willing to purchase a new bulb to try but I'm wondering if I need to open this up and give it a good cleaning. first or it might just make the problem worse.

Questions:

1. Instructions on how to do cleaning?
2. What to use, I assume alchool and qtips?
3. How to clean filter? Or can I buy or make a new filter?
4. Can I clean the polarizers? Should I get the LCD panels?
5. How do I get to the mirror and clean?

And last, recommendations on bulb. I don't want to spend $90, but willing to try on from amazon for around $30-40.

Anyone have the service manual they can send me?

Thanks in advance.
post #10842 of 10848 Old 01-30-2014, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpounders View Post

Some one gave me a E50A10 this weekend. The screen was very dim and picture was set to "vivid". I don't have a remote so I can't check the hours on the bulb. I noticed a little bit of yellow glow near the center when the images is on something solid blue. I assume the blue polarizer might have some problems like described here. I also see a little bit of red near the bottom edge of screen

I'm willing to purchase a new bulb to try but I'm wondering if I need to open this up and give it a good cleaning. first or it might just make the problem worse.

Questions:

1. Instructions on how to do cleaning?
2. What to use, I assume alchool and qtips?
3. How to clean filter? Or can I buy or make a new filter?
4. Can I clean the polarizers? Should I get the LCD panels?
5. How do I get to the mirror and clean?

And last, recommendations on bulb. I don't want to spend $90, but willing to try on from amazon for around $30-40.

Thanks in advance.

Do you have a programmable (computer) remote by any chance? How about a Samsung handheld? There is an android app for all the Samsung phones and tablets that have ir.

I have a service manual but it's buried in a noon functioning computer. It is also kind of worthless.

I could be wrong but I don't believe these tv's have filters. The problem lies with the optical block going bad. I don't think Sony would have replaced so many tv's if just a cleaning would get rid of the color problems.

If there are polarizers that could be cleaned to fix the color blotches then they are in the optical block, and Sony felt it was cheaper to give out new tvs. Because you aren't a song tech getting paid for the work you might be able to spend a few days poking around.

No idea on how to get in and clean things. You may just want to start taking stuff apart. I don't know is sealed or not, so cleaning may be a noon issue. Plus everything would need to be super clean and you could mess stuff up trying to clean it.

As for the bulb you can get just the bulb and replace the old bulb in the carrier I believe. I think 90 gets you the whole assembly but it's been awhile.

I'll try to find the service manual for you.

Regards,
Steve

Steve
post #10843 of 10848 Old 02-01-2014, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpounders View Post

Thanks in advance.

Totally forgot that I had it, but I have what you seek. No clue when or where I found it, but I have the Sony tech training manuals for 06 tv's. Just need to upload.

Give me your email so I can send you credentials for my server.
Regards,
Steve

Steve
post #10844 of 10848 Old 02-09-2014, 08:39 AM

I just replaced the lamp in my KDF-E42A10 with one of these (the genuine Philips lamp with housing): http://www.discounttvlamps.com/p-7-sony-xl-2400-lamp-replacement.aspx

The difference in brightness is like night and day - literally. It is like having a brand new television.

Now, I can see from the service menu that my original, still-not-dead bulb had 11,621 hours on it. (It had been a while since I checked it; I knew I was beyond 10,000 but wasn't sure how far.) How do I reset this? I have searched this thread and the Tweaks thread, but have not had any luck finding the proper codes to reset bulb hours once I'm in the service menu. Never mind, found a different thread with the instructions on lamp reset: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1028631/kdf42a10-gwiv-how-to-reset-lamp-counter#post_13856711

Thanks!
post #10845 of 10848 Old 02-11-2014, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by radioinsomnia View Post

I just replaced the lamp in my KDF-E42A10 with one of these (the genuine Philips lamp with housing): http://www.discounttvlamps.com/p-7-sony-xl-2400-lamp-replacement.aspx

The difference in brightness is like night and day - literally. It is like having a brand new television.

Now, I can see from the service menu that my original, still-not-dead bulb had 11,621 hours on it. (It had been a while since I checked it; I knew I was beyond 10,000 but wasn't sure how far.) How do I reset this? I have searched this thread and the Tweaks thread, but have not had any luck finding the proper codes to reset bulb hours once I'm in the service menu. Never mind, found a different thread with the instructions on lamp reset: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1028631/kdf42a10-gwiv-how-to-reset-lamp-counter#post_13856711

Thanks!

Did you purchase just the lamp or the lamp with housing? If just the lamp, was it easy and quick to swap out the lamps?

Still Learning
post #10846 of 10848 Old 02-11-2014, 12:53 PM

I purchased the lamp with housing because I wanted minimum hassle, and it was only $12 more for the housing.

I might have been able to get more life out of the old lamp, but so far I am very happy with the new lamp. That said, some people here have experienced optical block problems shortly after replacing the lamp (though I am not sure there is any actual causation), so we'll see.
post #10847 of 10848 Old 02-11-2014, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioinsomnia View Post

I purchased the lamp with housing because I wanted minimum hassle, and it was only $12 more for the housing.

I might have been able to get more life out of the old lamp, but so far I am very happy with the new lamp. That said, some people here have experienced optical block problems shortly after replacing the lamp (though I am not sure there is any actual causation), so we'll see.

I blew a lamp and replaced the assembly as well. Don't have to mess with stuff or worry about touching the lens. Plus it's like a 5 minute job with the housing, just have to reset the bulb timer.

I didn't see any optical block problems appear. I'm due for a new lamp though, maybe the second time around will be different.

Regards,
Steve

Steve
post #10848 of 10848 Old 08-05-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philherz View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by jda54669

I probably shouldn't even admit this but when I shut off the lights in my office I noticed that the screen had a faint glow even though the front green light was off (and I thought the TV was off). I unplugged it and when I was behind it I noticed the fan was on too. After plugging it back in it turned on as usual.

I checked the lamp usage and it showed 13,736 hrs, so I'll still get the new bulb and switch it out right away and keep the old one as a back up.

I wonder if it will look better?!

Thanks for the feedback!

Good luck!!

Let us know if the new bulb causes the color blobs to form......

Yes, I got the Blob. It took a year and a half since I put in the new bulb. It was sudden, one day it was just there.

Reading some of the above posts it looks like I'm stuck with it.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page