>>> The Official Sony Grand Wega V (A10 series) Thread <<< - Page 362 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #10831 of 10859 Old 08-28-2013, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyworldcanad View Post

...I cannot help but sense a relation between the two. Interestingly, many of these posts experienced a time delay between lamp exchange and the blue screen splash. I would like to know the ratio of exploded bulbs. How many housing replacements?

This TV was a bit pricey to be lemon from such a good brand. Any thoughts?

The failure mode of the lamp (wearing out slowly vs. exploding) has no effect on the optical block failure. The optical blocks were inherently defective in that the polarization filters and liquid crystal panels could not handle the high levels of heat they were expected to absorb by blocking energy from the lamp. Yes, a lot of people got pricey lemons. Sony outsources much of their design and almost all of their manufacturing to third parties in China and Taiwan, just like most other major and discount brands. There is no longer any reason to pay extra for the Sony brand that used to dominate quality in the 1980s and 1990s.

Sony LCD Rear Projection TV Problems: informational web site
SPL Moxi FAQ: comprehensive guide to Moxi DVRs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10832 of 10859 Old 08-29-2013, 06:56 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by splinke View Post

The failure mode of the lamp (wearing out slowly vs. exploding) has no effect on the optical block failure. The optical blocks were inherently defective in that the polarization filters and liquid crystal panels could not handle the high levels of heat they were expected to absorb by blocking energy from the lamp. Yes, a lot of people got pricey lemons. Sony outsources much of their design and almost all of their manufacturing to third parties in China and Taiwan, just like most other major and discount brands. There is no longer any reason to pay extra for the Sony brand that used to dominate quality in the 1980s and 1990s.

What a sad, sad state of affairs. Sony owned a wide berth with the competition in terms of quality for years. I wonder if the pro Sony gear is suffering the same fate?

Well, I don't think I will bother to follow-up on this travesty with Sony. I read all the posts in this thread and sympathize with everyone who has suffered due to this inexcusable design flaw.

Now is the time to historically change brand loyalty.

Did anyone go the Panasonic route? I was looking at the TC-L50EM60 (no 3D, no smart) as a low risk alternative. Any thoughts or recommendations for a reliable 50" ?

How does this beauty compare to the rest of the groups?

post #10833 of 10859 Old 10-14-2013, 03:33 PM

Liked: 11
Oh, I remember those days. It was a nice little TV, and I'm glad that Sony handled the situation by providing a KDL-46NX700 at the time for only $600 (in March of 2010). I since then gave the set to my parents and moved on to a Panasonic (TC-L58E60) - not interested in 3D at this time.
post #10834 of 10859 Old 10-16-2013, 11:26 AM

Hi guys,I am having some difficulties with my Sony 50" LCD Projection TV HD-Monitor Grand WEGA model number: KFE50A10. It started with one square on the screen and now the issue covers most of the screen. It looks like squares of colored pixels, always on the same spot, only getting worst/more. Each pixel is only one color i think, many of them white. Together, they form different lines on the screen which makes the picture unbearable. It has some similarity with when the screen becomes snowy, but my problem occurs on all inputs as well as on the menu screen. I would appreciate any and all help. thanks guys

post #10835 of 10859 Old 12-31-2013, 08:04 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddx View Post

Hi guys,I am having some difficulties with my Sony 50" LCD Projection TV HD-Monitor Grand WEGA model number: KFE50A10. It started with one square on the screen and now the issue covers most of the screen. It looks like squares of colored pixels, always on the same spot, only getting worst/more. Each pixel is only one color i think, many of them white. Together, they form different lines on the screen which makes the picture unbearable. It has some similarity with when the screen becomes snowy, but my problem occurs on all inputs as well as on the menu screen. I would appreciate any and all help. thanks guys

Don't know if this was resolved or not. At this time I think you have to bite the bullet and go for a new set, if you haven't already. I believe the replacement program has ended.

Unfortunately I was a lucky one that hasn't had problems with the set lol. Still going strong, although it isn't very bright anymore. When the crap was hitting the fan I almost photoshopped some blobs to send in. I get the occasional color problems but never bad enough or long enough to snap pictures (I even set my camera on a tripod with a remote to try to catch the problem. Freaking spent $2000 on the thing, wish I spent a bit more and got a flat screen) All in all though I can't complain, I had to have a Sony and this was "cutting edge" at the time, I didn't want a dlp with a color wheel, just too bad that this tech only lasted a couple years.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Regards, (for the vast majority of people :-p)

Steve
post #10836 of 10859 Old 01-01-2014, 09:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddx View Post

You might want to contact SONY. Although the "official" replacement program that many of us took advantage of has ended, I thought I read a few months ago that they were offering some people some sort of deal.....

YMMV

DirecTV Amherst, NY
post #10837 of 10859 Old 01-01-2014, 01:36 PM

If you do find that Sony is offering something please post the details. I think our TV s have exceeded their intended lifespan, at least in Sony s eyes, but hey if they have a deal I'm not going to complain!

Steve
post #10838 of 10859 Old 01-05-2014, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
How many got lucky? Parents got one just as it was released. Still going strong. Bulb only replaced as a precaution. Still looks perfect. My mom is retired and it is on nearly half the day everyday in the dining room as she cooks and stuff. Picture is as good as the day I remember unboxing it.
post #10839 of 10859 Old 01-05-2014, 08:17 PM

I was a lucky one. Considering it was 2 grand for a 42" I believe it wasn't out for long. That thing was on constantly. I'd have to check the service menu for a hard number though. I was unlucky as I bought it from circuit city with the service plan that included a free bulb replacement, but my bulb blew after CC folded. Still a good picture except it can't compete with bright light. Could be because I didn't drop over 2 hundred on a Sony replacement bulb, our the fact that it has always been in a dim room except when my parents TV blew out. I'm pretty s sure it was nice and bright when new though. Need to change the contrast in the service menu, that should make things better, but Sony decided to turn the menu into gibberish. It also had a service bulletin where a tech came out and updated software. Not sure if that had anything to do with keeping the color block from going to crap though.

Steve
post #10840 of 10859 Old 01-12-2014, 05:04 PM

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk 2

Steve
post #10841 of 10859 Old 01-20-2014, 11:24 AM

Some one gave me a E50A10 this weekend. The screen was very dim and picture was set to "vivid". I don't have a remote so I can't check the hours on the bulb. I noticed a little bit of yellow glow near the center when the images is on something solid blue. I assume the blue polarizer might have some problems like described here. I also see a little bit of red near the bottom edge of screen

I'm willing to purchase a new bulb to try but I'm wondering if I need to open this up and give it a good cleaning. first or it might just make the problem worse.

Questions:

1. Instructions on how to do cleaning?
2. What to use, I assume alchool and qtips?
3. How to clean filter? Or can I buy or make a new filter?
4. Can I clean the polarizers? Should I get the LCD panels?
5. How do I get to the mirror and clean?

And last, recommendations on bulb. I don't want to spend $90, but willing to try on from amazon for around $30-40.

Anyone have the service manual they can send me?

Thanks in advance.
post #10842 of 10859 Old 01-30-2014, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpounders View Post

Some one gave me a E50A10 this weekend. The screen was very dim and picture was set to "vivid". I don't have a remote so I can't check the hours on the bulb. I noticed a little bit of yellow glow near the center when the images is on something solid blue. I assume the blue polarizer might have some problems like described here. I also see a little bit of red near the bottom edge of screen

I'm willing to purchase a new bulb to try but I'm wondering if I need to open this up and give it a good cleaning. first or it might just make the problem worse.

Questions:

1. Instructions on how to do cleaning?
2. What to use, I assume alchool and qtips?
3. How to clean filter? Or can I buy or make a new filter?
4. Can I clean the polarizers? Should I get the LCD panels?
5. How do I get to the mirror and clean?

And last, recommendations on bulb. I don't want to spend $90, but willing to try on from amazon for around $30-40.

Thanks in advance.

Do you have a programmable (computer) remote by any chance? How about a Samsung handheld? There is an android app for all the Samsung phones and tablets that have ir.

I have a service manual but it's buried in a noon functioning computer. It is also kind of worthless.

I could be wrong but I don't believe these tv's have filters. The problem lies with the optical block going bad. I don't think Sony would have replaced so many tv's if just a cleaning would get rid of the color problems.

If there are polarizers that could be cleaned to fix the color blotches then they are in the optical block, and Sony felt it was cheaper to give out new tvs. Because you aren't a song tech getting paid for the work you might be able to spend a few days poking around.

No idea on how to get in and clean things. You may just want to start taking stuff apart. I don't know is sealed or not, so cleaning may be a noon issue. Plus everything would need to be super clean and you could mess stuff up trying to clean it.

As for the bulb you can get just the bulb and replace the old bulb in the carrier I believe. I think 90 gets you the whole assembly but it's been awhile.

I'll try to find the service manual for you.

Regards,
Steve

Steve
post #10843 of 10859 Old 02-01-2014, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpounders View Post

Thanks in advance.

Totally forgot that I had it, but I have what you seek. No clue when or where I found it, but I have the Sony tech training manuals for 06 tv's. Just need to upload.

Give me your email so I can send you credentials for my server.
Regards,
Steve

Steve
post #10844 of 10859 Old 02-09-2014, 08:39 AM

I just replaced the lamp in my KDF-E42A10 with one of these (the genuine Philips lamp with housing): http://www.discounttvlamps.com/p-7-sony-xl-2400-lamp-replacement.aspx

The difference in brightness is like night and day - literally. It is like having a brand new television.

Now, I can see from the service menu that my original, still-not-dead bulb had 11,621 hours on it. (It had been a while since I checked it; I knew I was beyond 10,000 but wasn't sure how far.) How do I reset this? I have searched this thread and the Tweaks thread, but have not had any luck finding the proper codes to reset bulb hours once I'm in the service menu. Never mind, found a different thread with the instructions on lamp reset: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1028631/kdf42a10-gwiv-how-to-reset-lamp-counter#post_13856711

Thanks!
ShazamOrange likes this.
post #10845 of 10859 Old 02-11-2014, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by radioinsomnia View Post

I just replaced the lamp in my KDF-E42A10 with one of these (the genuine Philips lamp with housing): http://www.discounttvlamps.com/p-7-sony-xl-2400-lamp-replacement.aspx

The difference in brightness is like night and day - literally. It is like having a brand new television.

Now, I can see from the service menu that my original, still-not-dead bulb had 11,621 hours on it. (It had been a while since I checked it; I knew I was beyond 10,000 but wasn't sure how far.) How do I reset this? I have searched this thread and the Tweaks thread, but have not had any luck finding the proper codes to reset bulb hours once I'm in the service menu. Never mind, found a different thread with the instructions on lamp reset: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1028631/kdf42a10-gwiv-how-to-reset-lamp-counter#post_13856711

Thanks!

Did you purchase just the lamp or the lamp with housing? If just the lamp, was it easy and quick to swap out the lamps?

Still Learning
post #10846 of 10859 Old 02-11-2014, 12:53 PM

I purchased the lamp with housing because I wanted minimum hassle, and it was only $12 more for the housing.

I might have been able to get more life out of the old lamp, but so far I am very happy with the new lamp. That said, some people here have experienced optical block problems shortly after replacing the lamp (though I am not sure there is any actual causation), so we'll see.
post #10847 of 10859 Old 02-11-2014, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioinsomnia View Post

I purchased the lamp with housing because I wanted minimum hassle, and it was only $12 more for the housing.

I might have been able to get more life out of the old lamp, but so far I am very happy with the new lamp. That said, some people here have experienced optical block problems shortly after replacing the lamp (though I am not sure there is any actual causation), so we'll see.

I blew a lamp and replaced the assembly as well. Don't have to mess with stuff or worry about touching the lens. Plus it's like a 5 minute job with the housing, just have to reset the bulb timer.

I didn't see any optical block problems appear. I'm due for a new lamp though, maybe the second time around will be different.

Regards,
Steve

Steve
post #10848 of 10859 Old 08-05-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philherz View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by jda54669

I probably shouldn't even admit this but when I shut off the lights in my office I noticed that the screen had a faint glow even though the front green light was off (and I thought the TV was off). I unplugged it and when I was behind it I noticed the fan was on too. After plugging it back in it turned on as usual.

I checked the lamp usage and it showed 13,736 hrs, so I'll still get the new bulb and switch it out right away and keep the old one as a back up.

I wonder if it will look better?!

Thanks for the feedback!

Good luck!!

Let us know if the new bulb causes the color blobs to form......

Yes, I got the Blob. It took a year and a half since I put in the new bulb. It was sudden, one day it was just there.

Reading some of the above posts it looks like I'm stuck with it.
post #10849 of 10859 Old 10-04-2014, 05:32 PM

I just bought the same one (Philips).

My lamp is from 2006 when I got the TV. Probably about 10k or more hours on it :-)
Almost make it 9 years (in Jan). Bulb is still working, but on the dim side... so it's time to replace it.

For a total of $85 shipped I can't complain.

EDIT: Checked the hours, and I got 8700 hours on the bulb... still was working, but dimming on darker scenes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioinsomnia View Post

Better is one day in your courts, better is one day in your house, better is one day in your courts, than thousands elsewhere....

Last edited by kurtlingle; 10-09-2014 at 04:33 PM.
post #10850 of 10859 Old 11-29-2014, 05:16 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish

Howdy, fellow (former?) owners of the A10 series. I replaced my KDF-E42A10 last week and created an account here to mingle with other owners of my new set, but out of curiosity went looking for my old one and, hey, here you are! And I'm only resurrecting a thread from a month and a half ago...

Since most sports broadcasts I cared about (*cough*ESPN*cough*) were in 720p, this set was perfectly functional for me. But the bug for a new, upgraded TV finally bit me and I'm off to 4K land. It wasn't until I started researching those 4K sets that I discovered the opticals module issue that plagued so many of these Grand WEGA units, and checked mine to discover that I had the issue as well. Usually I had something up on the screen within a few seconds of the lamp powering up. While I had noticed the "splotching" on the screen, it was hard to notice once something was being shown so I had chalked it up to something needing to warm up on power on.

For the first seven years with this set, I lived in an apartment complex that suffered from frequent power outages. Because of that, I plugged the TV into an uninterruptible power supply to ensure it could continue to cool down the bulb after I turned it off. I'm not sure if that helped the life of it or not, but since then it's been through two additional moves like a champion.

Thanks to the links in radioinsomnia's post, I was find out one final bit of trivia that I'd been curious about: how many hours I'd managed to put on my original, never-replaced lamp. Turns out I got 14,955 hours out of it. That'll teach me to buy a service plan because I expected to wear that sucker out. Is there a hall of fame for bulb with the most hours on it, but now I want to run it another 45 hours just to hit 15,000...

Well, so long rear-projection world. This set was so much lighter than the one it replaced, a 27" 4:3 CRT, and the new 49" 4K LED is lighter than this one too. At this rate, I'll have a TV set that needs weight added to keep it from flying away in two or three generations...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KDF-E42A10.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	172.1 KB
ID:	392570  
post #10851 of 10859 Old 12-01-2014, 05:19 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I have an entertainment center with a 50" wide opening. So, the 50" is tempting. But the way our furniture is arranged, the closest people are 6' from the TV while the back viewers are 9-10' away from the TV.
post #10852 of 10859 Old 12-02-2014, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShazamOrange View Post
Howdy, fellow (former?) owners of the A10 series. I replaced my KDF-E42A10 last week and created an account here to mingle with other owners of my new set, but out of curiosity went looking for my old one and, hey, here you are! And I'm only resurrecting a thread from a month and a half ago...

Since most sports broadcasts I cared about (*cough*ESPN*cough*) were in 720p, this set was perfectly functional for me. But the bug for a new, upgraded TV finally bit me and I'm off to 4K land. It wasn't until I started researching those 4K sets that I discovered the opticals module issue that plagued so many of these Grand WEGA units, and checked mine to discover that I had the issue as well. Usually I had something up on the screen within a few seconds of the lamp powering up. While I had noticed the "splotching" on the screen, it was hard to notice once something was being shown so I had chalked it up to something needing to warm up on power on.

For the first seven years with this set, I lived in an apartment complex that suffered from frequent power outages. Because of that, I plugged the TV into an uninterruptible power supply to ensure it could continue to cool down the bulb after I turned it off. I'm not sure if that helped the life of it or not, but since then it's been through two additional moves like a champion.

Thanks to the links in radioinsomnia's post, I was find out one final bit of trivia that I'd been curious about: how many hours I'd managed to put on my original, never-replaced lamp. Turns out I got 14,955 hours out of it. That'll teach me to buy a service plan because I expected to wear that sucker out. Is there a hall of fame for bulb with the most hours on it, but now I want to run it another 45 hours just to hit 15,000...

Well, so long rear-projection world. This set was so much lighter than the one it replaced, a 27" 4:3 CRT, and the new 49" 4K LED is lighter than this one too. At this rate, I'll have a TV set that needs weight added to keep it from flying away in two or three generations...
Holy crap I can't believe you didn't notice that or that it didn't appear bad enough while w watching to bug you out!!!

And bravo on the lamp hours! Can't remember when mine went, but it sucked hard. Bulb just exploded one night when I turned it on. I was really hoping a fuse or breaker tripped as I was looking forward to watching something. But nope, the tell tale blinking light said bulb.

I don't think the UPS is what took you that far, at least not in a sense of cooling. More likely it was viewing habits and a stable power supply. Being able to turn the set off properly including the fan & cool down definitely didn't hurt though, and under the conditions you describe it definitely extended the life.

Where do you live? Did you have the high altitude setting turned on by any chance? Personally I think this should be on by default, and the manual should state it there is no harm in leaving it on regardless of altitude.

How dim was the set before it blew? I bought an aftermarket bulb assembly, and after 2 years it was pretty dim. “useful life ” = 50% of original brightness dim. My set is a giant paperweight now. Use it as a backup.

These were great TV's, but man were they expensive considering they were at the tail end of the stop gap between RP and flat panels. But the 3 LCD was real nice compared to most DLP sets with their color wheels.

I got hosed in my extended service plan. Bought the set at circuit city and they were long gone when it came time for my free bulb change. I also had someone come in and update the firmware. Don't know if I registered with Sony and it was their deal, or if my plan paid for it.

That might be why I never got the blob, but who knows. When I found this thread and the deals Sony was giving for affected TV's I started filming my set LOL. Still going though!

Congrats on the new addition
Quote:
Originally Posted by wersds View Post
I have an entertainment center with a 50" wide opening. So, the 50" is tempting. But the way our furniture is arranged, the closest people are 6' from the TV while the back viewers are 9-10' away from the TV.
General rule of thumb is no closer than 1.5x the TV size for 1080p set so you can't see the pixels. With the 4k and uhd sets, 50" and 6 feet should be OK, but it's really viewer preference. Usually around 1.8 & 2 x is optimum for most folks. Bring buy one of those cheap measures (grab the longest one you find, and you can step out the rest). Keep it in your car so you'll have it if you happen to end up at an electronics store. They pull us in like gravity!

Don't know where you're from, but if you're in the US then Best Buy with a Magnolia inside is always a good bet. Panels are usually setup but still tend to be on the torch mode side because they keep the lighting dim. Find a 50 incher and drag a couch over if you need to, using your tape to position it. Also a good idea to toss your favorite BD that you feel has a good/great picture on your current set. If you have a calibration disc bring that too. If you don't have one it's a great investment, but they probably have some loose cal discs. Another option is bringing a BD with cal feature like THX/Lucas film releases.After taking control of the remote you can perform a dirty cal. Then back to the fave BD & DVD. You want to see the 4k or UHD TV do the upscaling, not the $1000 source feeding it.

Just for reference I taped my setup. I have a UN60ES6500, which is a 2012 60" LED edge lit Samsung LCD. We sit very close to 10 feet away, That's 2x the TV size, and very enjoyable. At 6 feet it is 1.2x the TV, and that isn't very enjoyable at all. I still can't pixels but the TV size is overwhelming at that distance, making one's brain hurt. so I'd say you really need some time in front of the TV with real content, not just the wildlife program created to make every TV look great.
Going to pop in a BD, so I'll take some pics at various distances and upload here.
And remember, regardless of where you are, their job is to move product, so they should accommodate your requests then and there, or have you come back after they've set something up for.

Regards,
Steve

Steve
post #10853 of 10859 Old 12-02-2014, 04:15 AM

Here are a couple shots of our 60" samsung, one is ~10 feet, one is ~6 feet. 28mm lens on canon cropped sensor body. Effective focal length is ~45mm with the sensor crop. Let me know if you want some other shots, perhaps daytime ones.

Oh, and these pics are sized way down. Can email the full size/quality.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	about 10 feet.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	397274   Click image for larger version

Name:	about 6 feet.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	397282  

Steve
post #10854 of 10859 Old 12-03-2014, 01:19 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceberg86300 View Post
Holy crap I can't believe you didn't notice that or that it didn't appear bad enough while w watching to bug you out!!!

And bravo on the lamp hours! Can't remember when mine went, but it sucked hard. Bulb just exploded one night when I turned it on. I was really hoping a fuse or breaker tripped as I was looking forward to watching something. But nope, the tell tale blinking light said bulb.

I don't think the UPS is what took you that far, at least not in a sense of cooling. More likely it was viewing habits and a stable power supply. Being able to turn the set off properly including the fan & cool down definitely didn't hurt though, and under the conditions you describe it definitely extended the life.

Where do you live? Did you have the high altitude setting turned on by any chance? Personally I think this should be on by default, and the manual should state it there is no harm in leaving it on regardless of altitude.

How dim was the set before it blew? I bought an aftermarket bulb assembly, and after 2 years it was pretty dim. “useful life ” = 50% of original brightness dim. My set is a giant paperweight now. Use it as a backup.

These were great TV's, but man were they expensive considering they were at the tail end of the stop gap between RP and flat panels. But the 3 LCD was real nice compared to most DLP sets with their color wheels.

I got hosed in my extended service plan. Bought the set at circuit city and they were long gone when it came time for my free bulb change. I also had someone come in and update the firmware. Don't know if I registered with Sony and it was their deal, or if my plan paid for it.

That might be why I never got the blob, but who knows. When I found this thread and the deals Sony was giving for affected TV's I started filming my set LOL. Still going though!

Congrats on the new addition
I've lived at a couple different places in Southern California along the coast, not the desert. Never had the high altitude setting turned on in the TV, either. I never was sure of the actual effect of this setting, and so left at the apparent default.

As far as brightness of the image, I felt it took a good 20 minutes to warm up to full brightness but that the final level was reasonable; I didn't think it was that dim. I also took an extended service plan on my set, but it only covered replacement of the bulb if it blew out or if my TV indicated it needed a lamp replacement. So there was a chunk of change I could've saved.

I remember having to talk my wife into it, mostly because of the price. It was the second TV we bought after our first shared TV, a 27" Sony Trinitron of model forgotten.

I also got the matching stand for it, but it was a pain to move. It was all assembled & set up when I came home from work; my wife was there to let the delivery folks in to set it up. I've never removed the two main glass shelves when moving, but thankfully it's always survived. For now, the new TV does look reasonable on it.

As far as noticing the blob: I use Hue bulbs to light my entertainment room at night, and I think my preferred setting does put a general blue hue in the room. I think I'm visually desensitized to it when looking around, but I was surprised to see how notable it was when I took a picture of it.
post #10855 of 10859 Old 12-03-2014, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShazamOrange View Post
I've lived at a couple different places in Southern California along the coast, not the desert. Never had the high altitude setting turned on in the TV, either. I never was sure of the actual effect of this setting, and so left at the apparent default.

As far as brightness of the image, I felt it took a good 20 minutes to warm up to full brightness but that the final level was reasonable; I didn't think it was that dim. I also took an extended service plan on my set, but it only covered replacement of the bulb if it blew out or if my TV indicated it needed a lamp replacement. So there was a chunk of change I could've saved.

I remember having to talk my wife into it, mostly because of the price. It was the second TV we bought after our first shared TV, a 27" Sony Trinitron of model forgotten.

I also got the matching stand for it, but it was a pain to move. It was all assembled & set up when I came home from work; my wife was there to let the delivery folks in to set it up. I've never removed the two main glass shelves when moving, but thankfully it's always survived. For now, the new TV does look reasonable on it.

As far as noticing the blob: I use Hue bulbs to light my entertainment room at night, and I think my preferred setting does put a general blue hue in the room. I think I'm visually desensitized to it when looking around, but I was surprised to see how notable it was when I took a picture of it.
Yup, got hosed on my extended plan as well. Same as yours, one free bulb if it was called for. As a general rule I never get the any level of service plan, only reasons I did this time was the over 2k price tag, and the free bulb change of course, which I never received.

Crazy, I'm on the Cali coast too. Where abouts are you? I'm currently near Anaheim, but Ventura county is where I'd call home. Also spent about 5 years in SLO getting my ME degree.

The high altitude setting is for the fan. Can't remember exactly, but I believe it just stayed on longer.

I didn't realize how dim how dim my set was with the matte screen and aging bulb until the Sammy lost its power supply and the A10 played back. Performs much better in a light controlled room.

As a calibrator I love that you use accent lighting. Even though it's an easy process of putting in a dimmable light in back of the TV that matches the d6500 standard. Ambient light is the enemy, and ideally one would watch in near darkness, with accent lighting..

Speaking of moving stuff, I bought this set with the intention of putting in my then girlfriend's car. No dice LOL! While swearing all over the place I finally noticed the home depot I've driven by a million times. Rented the truck, which is pretty painless, and the round trip was ~55 minutes. Man was I booking it on the e way back!!

Same boat as you again, i had a monster of a 27-30" set, but mine had the curved CRT. Girlfriend didn't seem to like the purchase much, money could have got us into our own place. Which she really wanted.

Regards,
Steve

Steve
post #10856 of 10859 Old 03-19-2015, 11:51 AM

Hi all,

Just wanted some friendly advice here. Bought the KDF-50A10 December 2005 and it's coming up on a decade of ownership/usage now. I've never really had any problems with the TV at all and I'm quite thankful/lucky for that; however, recently I've noticed the overall picture is a lot darker than it has been in years past so my lamp probably needs replacing. No big deal, I bought two Sony OEM lamps back in October 2006 and they've been sitting in my closet waiting for the inevitable lamp switch. I just checked my total hour usage on the original lamp and it's at 11,855 hours.

My concern is I've noticed a lot of long-time owners of this kind of Sony RP-LCD HDTV seem to quickly develop the blue and pink splotches after switching lamps. I understand this is due to the intensity of the UV light from the new lamps and yada, yada, yada, but it just scares the crap out of me. I noticed about four years ago I had a very tiny area (probably three pixels total) of pink on the screen that wasn't there originally. Now this could just be dead pixels or dust or whatever. The area hasn't grown one bit since I noticed it all those years ago. But if this area is due to UV damage wouldn't putting in a new lamp make the area grow?

So, basically, what would you suggest? The TV is still working fine and dandy; it is just getting darker and will continue to do so. Do I replace a lamp that hasn't blown yet for a brand new one that could potentially kill this currently fine-running set? Is the fact both my new lamps are OEM a point in my favor versus the sea of third-party lamps out there in terms of quality or doesn't it really matter?

I baby the living crap out of this TV and I'd hate for it to die right before 4k, HDMI 2.0, and HDCP 2.2 become standard, ya know? Any advice from any owners of any of these types of TVs would be appreciated. Thanks!
post #10857 of 10859 Old 03-19-2015, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gar3 View Post
Hi all,

Just wanted some friendly advice here. Bought the KDF-50A10 December 2005 and it's coming up on a decade of ownership/usage now. I've never really had any problems with the TV at all and I'm quite thankful/lucky for that; however, recently I've noticed the overall picture is a lot darker than it has been in years past so my lamp probably needs replacing. No big deal, I bought two Sony OEM lamps back in October 2006 and they've been sitting in my closet waiting for the inevitable lamp switch. I just checked my total hour usage on the original lamp and it's at 11,855 hours.

My concern is I've noticed a lot of long-time owners of this kind of Sony RP-LCD HDTV seem to quickly develop the blue and pink splotches after switching lamps. I understand this is due to the intensity of the UV light from the new lamps and yada, yada, yada, but it just scares the crap out of me. I noticed about four years ago I had a very tiny area (probably three pixels total) of pink on the screen that wasn't there originally. Now this could just be dead pixels or dust or whatever. The area hasn't grown one bit since I noticed it all those years ago. But if this area is due to UV damage wouldn't putting in a new lamp make the area grow?

So, basically, what would you suggest? The TV is still working fine and dandy; it is just getting darker and will continue to do so. Do I replace a lamp that hasn't blown yet for a brand new one that could potentially kill this currently fine-running set? Is the fact both my new lamps are OEM a point in my favor versus the sea of third-party lamps out there in terms of quality or doesn't it really matter?

I baby the living crap out of this TV and I'd hate for it to die right before 4k, HDMI 2.0, and HDCP 2.2 become standard, ya know? Any advice from any owners of any of these types of TVs would be appreciated. Thanks!
Congrats on having your set last so long. Your few pixels do not sound like UV damage to me. In my experience the affected areas are larger more indistinct. If the warm up time and darkness doesn't annoy you while you are watching, then live with the lamp you have. If you do decide to change lamps, and it's within your ability, I would recommend taking the set (electronics) apart to clean it. In the handful of Sony RPTVs I have taken apart, the squirrel-cage fans have all been clogged with dust. It would probably be a good idea even if you do not replace the lamp. I would guess that replacement lamps would not last as long with less than optimum cooling.

Everything I have read says the name brand OEM lamps are superior to the aftermarket lamps spectrally and perhaps otherwise.
post #10858 of 10859 Old 03-19-2015, 05:23 PM

Thanks for your thoughts. The darkness issue is just now starting to become a problem with certain video games set in dark settings. Movies and television are still fine for me overall. I have seen a few teardowns of these types of Sony sets on-line and always debated about doing a more thorough cleaning than I already do with the Dyson on the outside of the vents. I'd love to clean the optical block fan filter ala this teardown:
https://sites.google.com/site/sonylc...ockreplacement
but man I'd be scared to death about getting dust or alignment issues on those filter light paths, heh.
post #10859 of 10859 Old 03-20-2015, 01:58 PM

Mine just bit the dust with ZERO warning.

WTF is with all the emoji crap these days I just spent God knows how much⏳🔍for the🔑to🔓this junk, so much⏳that my body ⚠ me to switch over to🔎so I wouldn't end up in the 🏥 with 🔍 elbow.

I really wish they would put the same time spent coming up with emoji into making an engineering keyboard with proper symbols and an equation editor. [Rant off]

So my set has basically been furniture for the past 2 years with the exception of the ~2 weeks that it was propped up in front of a couple month old Samsung during the time it took replace a power supply board. Other than that it was only fired up a few times to see what terrestrials it would pick up with old rabbit ears, and a bit of time trying to use it with a PC. Then I dragged the BD player into my room to watch movies and some Hulu and it performed fine. Just recently did the same, then turn on the set and BAM!! Huge blue splotches.

I'm thinking the moving around finally did it in. Up until 2013 it was only moved once, and that was just across the room. During that time it had 2 bulb changes. The original popped, which was then replaced with an aftermarket bulb/housing twice. Then in 2013 it took a trip in a u haul, and then moved here and there in this house, including the aforementioned stop-gap usage.

It's the only thing that makes sense to me. Or at the very least it's a combination of mechanical and whatever else. Haven't really gone through this whole thread.

Rear panel (lower with all cooling slats) is bowed out right in the middle as well. Yet it lived its ENTIRE life on a Restoration Hardware dinner table leaf. Stupid expensive store, but whoever makes their furniture does a damn good job, anyway, my ex worked there and 2 leaves of 2” thick table were thought to be lost, but just weren't shipped with the table. So I saved the extra from the trash. Very flat and a perfect base for any slim RPTV.

So, if anyone wants some parts let me know. If someone refreshes my memory on checking bulb hours and I can power it up on the porch. Basically anything for the price of shipping. One caveat, I need to NOW. Free recycle day is tomorrow (Saturday) @ 8am here. I'm in California in case you want to check shipping.

I pulled the bulb and there is quite a bit of accumulated dust in the housing, so cleaning is a great recommendation. It's a 42 inch, and I have the chassis service manual in PDF if anyone doesn't have it yet.

Steve

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Rear Projection Units

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page