>>> The Official Sony Grand Wega V (A10 series) Thread <<< - Page 363 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

Old 06-26-2015, 01:43 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve White 2 View Post
Been reading as much as possible about these. Before I throw money away. Might be best to ask about it. Mine with start to power up then begin with the flashing green. Occasioanaly will hear voices, but then back to flashing light. Can hear it try to power up every so often . Like a fan or something powering up. Then it dies off and goes from steady light to flashing. No blocks or discoloring of screen. Just a black one.

So my guess would be just a lamp. Thoughts??
While they were awesome TVs, I think yours headed for the dumpster.

Wait, just read your post again a few times. Are you talking the green power indicator?

If so that sounds exactly like a bulb. When my bulb popped after turning my set on I remember sitting and watching it cycle and listen to it click just hoping for it to come on.

Bulbs are really easy to check on this set. Bottom, back, right corner. Pop the cover off, then there will be a door with a 'bar'on it. Twist that (forget which way, think it's CCW) and pull that door out. Now you're at the bulb housing. Memory h gets fuzzy here. There are 2 hooks that keep the bulb in, not sure if the handle on the housing serves 2 purposes or not. Probably want to get a flashlight just to be sure. I think you just push down on the f handle which raises the hooks, and pull.

Careful though, as what you're describing is indicative of a blown bulb, so there will be glass.

I'll look for my service manual to post up.

Also, be aware that many have had done y the bulb and immediately, or close to it, had the optical block take a dump. It seems like the longer you've have the TV on the better chance you have of the optical block being OK, but that's just my observation..

You're looking at over a hundred bucks for a non d Sony bulb, s so you'll have t to make that choice as to whether or not it's worth it on this TV. Definitely pull the bulb for inspection, and if you're changing it do it as soon as possible.

Sorry for the typos, fat fingers and new phone.

Steve.

Regards, (for the vast majority of people :-p)

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2015, 01:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceberg86300 View Post
While they were awesome TVs, I think yours headed for the dumpster.

Wait, just read your post again a few times. Are you talking the green power indicator?

If so that sounds exactly like a bulb. When my bulb popped after turning my set on I remember sitting and watching it cycle and listen to it click just hoping for it to come on.

Bulbs are really easy to check on this set. Bottom, back, right corner. Pop the cover off, then there will be a door with a 'bar'on it. Twist that (forget which way, think it's CCW) and pull that door out. Now you're at the bulb housing. Memory h gets fuzzy here. There are 2 hooks that keep the bulb in, not sure if the handle on the housing serves 2 purposes or not. Probably want to get a flashlight just to be sure. I think you just push down on the f handle which raises the hooks, and pull.

Careful though, as what you're describing is indicative of a blown bulb, so there will be glass.

I'll look for my service manual to post up.

Also, be aware that many have had done y the bulb and immediately, or close to it, had the optical block take a dump. It seems like the longer you've have the TV on the better chance you have of the optical block being OK, but that's just my observation..

You're looking at over a hundred bucks for a non d Sony bulb, s so you'll have t to make that choice as to whether or not it's worth it on this TV. Definitely pull the bulb for inspection, and if you're changing it do it as soon as possible.

Sorry for the typos, fat fingers and new phone.

Steve.
I've had this TV since 2004. The bulb went out on mine in Jan 2015 right during NFL playoffs, augh. I bought a replacement bulb on amazon for about $40. I figured it was worth it if it gave me a few months to find the right TV at the right price. The tv still works with the new bulb. Whites near the bottom of the screen are a shade of blue, but you only notice it when you turn on captioning, or when the credits scroll on a movie. It's not great in a brightly lit room, especially when the scene on the screen is dark, but otherwise it's been fine.
Old 06-27-2015, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportpsych View Post
I've had this TV since 2004. The bulb went out on mine in Jan 2015 right during NFL playoffs, augh. I bought a replacement bulb on amazon for about $40. I figured it was worth it if it gave me a few months to find the right TV at the right price. The tv still works with the new bulb. Whites near the bottom of the screen are a shade of blue, but you only notice it when you turn on captioning, or when the credits scroll on a movie. It's not great in a brightly lit room, especially when the scene on the screen is dark, but otherwise it's been fine.
Yup, I had mine for about the same time. Lamp blew around 2008-09. Local best buy actually had one stock, to the tune of $250!!! I went aftermarket and bought the bulb+housing assembly because I didn't want to deal with hacking the original housing and possibly get any skin oil on the bulb and have it explode immediately. Ran me just over $100. TV was working great, but after about 2 years of not being turned on I tried it and had huge blue splotches.

Really think it has to do with not using the set for long periods. But alas, it's old tech now.
Quote:
Been reading as much as possible about these. Before I throw money away. Might be best to ask about it. Mine with start to power up then begin with the flashing green. Occasioanaly will hear voices, but then back to flashing light. Can hear it try to power up every so often . Like a fan or something powering up. Then it dies off and goes from steady light to flashing. No blocks or discoloring of screen. Just a black one.

Here is a link to the service manual.

ftp://pictureperfecthtc.com

L: kdfa10
P: avsuser

Just right click and download.

Steve

Steve
Old 07-16-2015, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

According to my manual:
-Timer LED - When lit, indicates one of the timers or Sleep is set. When it is set, this LED will remain lit even if the TV is turned off.
-Lamp LED - Lights up in red when the lamp for the light source has burned out.
-Power/Standby LED - Lights up in green when the TV is turned on. If the LED blinks in red continuously, this may indicate the display unit needs servicing. When the red LED blinks only three times, the lamp door of the lamp unit or the lamp itself is not securely attached.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:01 AM

Hi all,

Getting ready to change my lamp for the first time in my KDF-50A10. I've had two OEM lamps sitting in my closet just waiting for the inevitable. I've also decided that before I do change the lamp I'll go back into the Service Menu and double check that I applied the greyscale and red push tweaks correctly from way back in 2007:
Grand Wega V Tweeks

I have no reason to doubt my former self and his abilities but I might as well put the original working lamp through the wear and tear of this rather than the new one. I checked the total lamp usage just this past March and the original had 11,855 hours on it. I'm probably well above 12,000 hours by now. I hope everything goes smoothly. I've never had any major problems with the TV since the day I bought it but I'm also very obsessive about how I run the thing especially since its history doesn't exactly have the greatest track record.

I'll report back when I finally go through with everything.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:34 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Wow, I forgot I had this TV. Glad to see it's lasted this long for you
Old 09-24-2015, 05:13 PM

Hi again all,

The other night I re-checked my greyscale and red push tweaks I applied to my KDF-50A10 way back in 2007. Every SD and HD input was indeed correct except for the coaxial over-the-air input. For whatever reason only half the red push was applied to both 480i/480p as well as 720p/1080i. I went ahead and made sure it was totally finished this time, heh.

Also, this morning I went ahead and finally replaced the lamp. My total hours on the lamp were 12,441 starting in late December 2005 through this morning. I replaced it with one of the two Sony OEM lamps I bought back in late 2006 and, wow, what a difference. Just to have complete and even screen distribution of light again is great let alone the overall boost in brightness. Tried OTA, DVHS, HD DVD, Blu-ray, Wii U, Xbox 360, and Xbox One and all looked amazing. I also only had a minor amount of dust and dirt in both the outside lamp cover area as well as inside the actual lamp housing part. Going by videos up on YouTube I assumed I'd be looking at mounds of dust and dirt but it was nothing like what I've seen. Also my replacement lamp slid right into place with zero issues on the first try unlike what I've seen on YouTube. I assume it was due to my lamp being OEM but who knows?

I would like to thank all here at AVS Forum for helping me with this TV over the past decade. Dark Rain, deconvolver, and Bill (aka zmn668) among others. I would also like to thank radioinsomnia for recently putting up with me via PM here badgering him about his previous lamp replacement.

Here's hoping for another ten great years with this TV. I still have an extra lamp just in case she actually makes it to 2025, heh.
apk8 likes this.
Old 09-24-2015, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gar3 View Post
Hi again all,

The other night I re-checked my greyscale and red push tweaks I applied to my KDF-50A10 way back in 2007. Every SD and HD input was indeed correct except for the coaxial over-the-air input. For whatever reason only half the red push was applied to both 480i/480p as well as 720p/1080i. I went ahead and made sure it was totally finished this time, heh.

Also, this morning I went ahead and finally replaced the lamp. My total hours on the lamp were 12,441 starting in late December 2005 through this morning. I replaced it with one of the two Sony OEM lamps I bought back in late 2006 and, wow, what a difference. Just to have complete and even screen distribution of light again is great let alone the overall boost in brightness. Tried OTA, DVHS, HD DVD, Blu-ray, Wii U, Xbox 360, and Xbox One and all looked amazing. I also only had a minor amount of dust and dirt in both the outside lamp cover area as well as inside the actual lamp housing part. Going by videos up on YouTube I assumed I'd be looking at mounds of dust and dirt but it was nothing like what I've seen. Also my replacement lamp slid right into place with zero issues on the first try unlike what I've seen on YouTube. I assume it was due to my lamp being OEM but who knows?

I would like to thank all here at AVS Forum for helping me with this TV over the past decade. Dark Rain, deconvolver, and Bill (aka zmn668) among others. I would also like to thank radioinsomnia for recently putting up with me via PM here badgering him about his previous lamp replacement.

Here's hoping for another ten great years with this TV. I still have an extra lamp just in case she actually makes it to 2025, heh.
Wow, I'm amazed it has lasted this long. That's great - mine didn't I actually replaced it way back when because of the optical block problem. Sony made an offer then and I went with a KDL-52NX800. I had that for many years, which my parents still use today. Today for myself I have a Panasonic TC-L58E60 that is 2 years old now.

Toshiba TW40X81 (2000) -> Sony KDF-50A10 (2005) -> Sony KDL-52NX800 (2008) -> Panasonic TC-L58E60 (2013) -> ?????

Wow ..., I feel old ...
Old 10-01-2015, 07:22 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Finally a bulb change

My wife and I will be swapping our A10 42" to the basement and picking up a 60" 4K set in our rearranged living room.

We've been noticing the picture is way too dark and I finally googled and found this thread.

I'll replace the bulb and hope to get some extended life (or given it's age, is that extended, extended life?) from the set.

The service menu says I have over 17K hours on the bulb. Wow, that's a lot of TV time.

Hopefully my set won't die quickly (per this thread) post bulb replacement. I plan to get the original bulb plus housing to keep it simple.

I'll try to take some before and after picks.

We've watched the newest season of Ray Donovan on this set wondering, "did they really make it this dark to match the script?" - probably not.

Andrew
Old 10-01-2015, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gar3 View Post
<snip>
<snip inside this paragraph (I think anyway, it's been a few hours LOL)>

Also, this morning I went ahead and finally replaced the lamp. My total hours on the lamp were 12,441 starting in late December 2005 through this morning. I replaced it with one of the two Sony OEM lamps I bought back in late 2006 and, wow, what a difference. Just to have complete and even screen distribution of light again is great let alone the overall boost in brightness. Going by videos up on YouTube I assumed I'd be looking at mounds of dust and dirt but it was nothing like what I've seen. Also my replacement lamp slid right into place with zero issues on the first try unlike what I've seen on YouTube. I assume it was due to my lamp being OEM but who knows?

<snip>

Unfortunately, during the process of changing the bulb that exploded on me in 2011 with an aftermarket one, I never wrote down the hours.

My bulb changes were that easy as well. Well BULB change is what I should say. No need to be lovey dovey with I'mnging bulbs. Although this being your first change after so much time I'd think it would take an extra tug. Where do you live if you don't mind me asking? Any moves to a different room or different house? Just wondering because that's a LONG time for one bulb, and equally as long for not getting the "blob."

I'm of the thought that moving/jarring the TV speeds up the "blob" process, along with being in a dirty environment and possibly a hot one.

My TV went through a long U-Haul move, but was used only sporadically after that. Then it was manhandled from my room, to the living room to serve as a "loaner" while the main TV was repaired, then back to my room. Wasn't even plugged in until a few months after this, but with that first turn on came the full on blue blob.

Oh,& my bulb was aftermarket. The original, which exploded on me ( thatreally sucks!) required an extra tug because I pulled I tried to pull it without pressing the bar down first. The aftermarket replacement slid right in no problem though.

Amazingly a Best Buy had a factory unit in stock, that I wanted to jump on bad as it was my only TV, but as the parents were paying, ~$230 was too much, and they made it known the ~$120 was as well and I think they picked the hand deliver on foot option LOL.

What made this suck even more is I should have had an extra bulb as I bought the TV and some new TV pack that included the 1st bulb change, from Circuit City. When they were going down I should have gone and demanded the bulb.

Oh, just an FYI that hasn't meant much since CRT's in RPTV's went away, is that the useful life of a TV used to be the amount of time it took for the output to drop by half of that when new.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan.crouthamel View Post
Wow, I'm amazed it has lasted this long. That's great - mine didn't I actually replaced it way back when because of the optical block problem. Sony made an offer then and I went with a KDL-52NX800. I had that for many years, which my parents still use today. Today for myself I have a Panasonic TC-L58E60 that is 2 years old now.

Toshiba TW40X81 (2000) -> Sony KDF-50A10 (2005) -> Sony KDL-52NX800 (2008) -> Panasonic TC-L58E60 (2013) -> ?????

Wow ..., I feel old ...
Lucky! Kinda anyway LOL. I had very faint blue creeping up that was only visible on grey scale slides, but Sony needed it to interfere with normal viewing. I took so much video trying to catch it on tape that I probably cut the life of the camera LOL. Never did get it though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy in NYC View Post
My wife and I will be swapping our A10 42" to the basement and picking up a 60" 4K set in our rearranged living room.

We've been noticing the picture is way too dark and I finally googled and found this thread.

I'll replace the bulb and hope to get some extended life (or given it's age, is that extended, extended life?) from the set.

The service menu says I have over 17K hours on the bulb. Wow, that's a lot of TV time.

Hopefully my set won't die quickly (per this thread) post bulb replacement. I plan to get the original bulb plus housing to keep it simple.

I'll try to take some before and after picks.

We've watched the newest season of Ray Donovan on this set wondering, "did they really make it this dark to match the script?" - probably not.

Andrew
Be VERY careful with the move just in case my theory of mechanical jarring being even a small contribution to the blob equation is correct.

Enjoy your new set!!

Steve
Old 10-01-2015, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceberg86300 View Post
[...]Although this being your first change after so much time I'd think it would take an extra tug. Where do you live if you don't mind me asking? Any moves to a different room or different house? Just wondering because that's a LONG time for one bulb, and equally as long for not getting the "blob."
South Central Pennsylvania. I've moved the TV from Circuit City to my house and up a flight of stairs but since then that is where it has sat outside of the bi-yearly or so moves from the stand to the floor for cable reorganization/cleaning. I Dyson the crap out of the TV whenever I take it off the stand and I also vacuum the vents/fans while it is on the stand probably every three or four months, too. I think what also helps is that if I turn the TV on I keep it on for the remainder of the day. I very, very rarely will turn the TV on to quickly view something and then shut it off. Consequently the TV is usually only "on" two or three times a week but, like I said, when it's on it's "on," heh. I also tend to use the TV much more often in winter versus summer since the room I keep it in does tend to heat up quite a bit with the TV and receiver on at the same time.
Old 10-01-2015, 01:04 PM

Could someone post a link or directions for doing the bulb with housing (as opposed to bare bulb) changeover? I'm not sure what the process is, and it seems all the thread watchers here have done it successfully at least once.

Andrew
Old 10-01-2015, 04:06 PM

Thanks @gar3

Oops, forgot, TURN OFF AND UNPLUG THE TV

Andy, all you have to do is pop the cover off. Stick your hand inside and turn the bar I want to say ccw. Once it goes you'll know. It kind of snaps. Pretty sure it's ccw. But if it doesn't go try cw.

Then you're at the bulb. Push down on the bar and pull.

Just the opposite to put the new one in. BE CAREFUL NOT TO TOUCH THE LENS.

Let me check, I might still have the service manual online. That will show you how to reset the lamp timer in the service menu also.

Steve
Old 10-01-2015, 04:49 PM

OK, service manual. I HATE WEBSITES!

OK
User: avsuser
Pass: pass1234
https://pictureperfecthtc.com:8443

Forgot: after typing in or clicking the link EVERYTHING will try to get you to not go there. It's because I have never made a site so o don't want to pay for an SSL certificate. But it's absolutely safe.

When you get in click on the files tab. In what comes up there should be a kdfea10.pdf

Right click and save as, or left click on the ^ in the same row and download or open in website. It's 16mb on a slow server, so make sure to save it if you have to open it in the website.

Let me know when you get it.

Steve

Last edited by Iceberg86300; 10-01-2015 at 04:53 PM.
Old 10-02-2015, 03:24 AM

I think email is going to be the easiest.

I'm stuck with that ridiculous website.

So if you'd like the svc manual leave your email.

Steve
Old 10-03-2015, 03:19 PM

Alright, gmail is claiming the file is over 20Mb, so that's out.

But I finally realized had a copy in Google drive.

Here is the link I got when I shared the folder:

https://drive.google.com/folder/d/0B...ZYWm1kT00/edit

Let me know if works/doesn't work if you don't mind.

Regards,

Steve

Steve
Old 10-03-2015, 05:25 PM

Wow, did I just buy a new TV for $85?

I vacuumed the vents on the TV and again once I removed the old bulb.

Dropped the new one in and crossed my fingers.

Bright picture and cleared the bulb hours.

Hopefully I won't create the problems some have had, but for now the picture is such an improvement.

Thanks for the help, guys.

Andrew
Old 10-03-2015, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy in NYC View Post
Wow, did I just buy a new TV for $85?

I vacuumed the vents on the TV and again once I removed the old bulb.

Dropped the new one in and crossed my fingers.

Bright picture and cleared the bulb hours.

Hopefully I won't create the problems some have had, but for now the picture is such an improvement.

Thanks for the help, guys.

Andrew
I think most of us who still follow this thread are former owners, but it's nice to hear that one is still alive and kicking!

Let us know if the new bulb leads to the blob problem.
Iceberg86300 likes this.

DirecTV Amherst, NY
Old 11-19-2015, 01:24 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by philherz View Post
I think most of us who still follow this thread are former owners, but it's nice to hear that one is still alive and kicking!

Let us know if the new bulb leads to the blob problem.
My 50" A10 is alive and kicking and getting daily use. I did the replacement deal through Sony when I experienced the optical block blobs a few years back. The TV was then moved to the kids playroom. It's worked great since then. The blobs are still there but not terribly noticeable and they don't stop my boys from playing the Wii and watching TV.

I had to replace the bulb sometime before the blob issue. I haven't checked the hours on the new bulb in years. I do know the TV gets more daily use now then it did when it was my main TV as the boys have grown older. I imagine a bulb replacement could be forthcoming.
Old 11-19-2015, 04:53 PM

My old 42" set was given to my daughter when I got my replacement from SONY.

It still has a gigantic yellow blob, but it was the right price and they still use it regularly as a secondary TV. Other than the blobs, it seems like a pretty reliable TV.

DirecTV Amherst, NY
Old 11-20-2015, 05:13 PM

It's hard to believe I've had my 42" A10 for nine years now, but it's still my primary TV and it's still kicking. I bought it refurbished from my local Sony Store in November 2006 (manufacture date August 2005). I got over 11K hours out of the bulb before doing a bulb change in February 2014. No signs of an optical block problem.

I prefer to drive my electronics into the ground the same way I drive my cars, so I was planning to keep this TV until the seemingly inevitable blobs started showing up. Never did I think it would last this long. My wife and I discussed the possibility of an upgrade last night after we talked about our Onkyo receiver's HDMI problem (which is currently the more pressing issue). We'll see...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement