AVS Forum banner

>>> The Official Sony Grand Wega V (A10 series) Thread <<<

2M views 11K replies 2K participants last post by  tyns 
#1 ·
This is the place to talk about Sony's much anticipated A10 series LCD rear projection televisions.

Sony is currently releasing new LCD sets for 2005/2006. More info will be added as it becomes available.

Please post initial sightings, owner reviews, tweaks/calibration settings, issues/problems and tips 'n tricks with these new sets.

Do not talk street pricing, MSRP only.

Availability:

A10 Series (42" and 50" models): Late July/Early August (as of 7/22, should be shipping any day)

A10 Series Inputs:

Input(s): PC Input (D-sub 15) + Audio Input (Stereo Mini) 1 (0 Front / 1 Rear)

Input(s): HDMI + Audio L&R 1 ( 1 Rear) connector

Component Video (Y/Pb/Pr ) Input(s): 3 (1 Front / 2 Rear)

S-Video Input(s): 1 (1 Rear)

Composite Video Input(s): 3 (1 Front / 2 Rear)

Input(s): RF 75-ohm F-type 1 (1 Rear)

Input(s): Cable 75-ohm F-type (1 (1 Rear)

Input(s): CableCARD PCMCIA-type 1 (1 Rear) slot

Input(s): Total Audio Input (LR, RCA-pin) excluding HDMI 5 (1 Front / 4 Rear)

Digital Audio Output(s): (Optical) 1 (0 Front / 1 Rear)

Headphone Output(s): 1 (1 Front / 0 Rear)

Audio Output: Audio Output (Variable/Fixed) 1 (1 Rear)

Sony KDF-E42A10 42" Rear Projection LCD Display

MSRP $1999 as of 7/22/05

Dimensions (WxHxD)

39 3/8"×28 1/2"×14 1/8" (999×722×357mm)

42" box dimensions - 43.5" x 33.5" x 18.5"

Sony Link To KDF-E42A10

Sony KDF-E50A10 50" Rear Projection LCD Display

MSRP $2499 as of 7/22/05

Dimensions (WxHxD)

46 5/8"×32 5/8"×16 1/8" (1184×827×408mm)

50" box dimensions - 50" x 37" x 20.5"

Sony Link To KDF-E50A10

What we know so far: The A10 series has an Advanced Iris which is supposed to improve contrast/black level. To what degree we do not know, but the only Sony front projector (VPL-HS51) with this feature has received very good reviews on contrast/black level.

Owners Manuals:

Sony KDF-XXA10 Manual

See less See more
#9,052 ·
Purchased a sony KDL40S20L1 (costco) 40" flat screen this weekend, the SD is terrible. I'm not sure if it's comcast or the TV.

My 50a10 looks much better in SD

#9,053 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey Palmice /forum/post/0

damn, I need a new receiver with two hdmi inputs so I can use it with the direcTV and the dvd player. I wish the set had two hdmi's.

would you recommend the hdmi be used with the dvd player over the direcTV?

You can buy an HDMI switch box:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...d=10110&style=

I just use component for my cable box and HDMI for my DVD player.

#9,055 ·

Quote:

do you notice a big difference between your component connection and hdmi with your cable/sat box?

I have a cable box that has DVI out and when I hooked it up with an HDMI/DVI cable, I couldn't tell a difference when comparing with component hookup. In fact, I prefer the component because when using the HDMI input it takes a long time to switch to a new channel. Of course a direct tv box with HDMI to HDMI connections may be different.

Mel

#9,056 ·
Anyone use component cables with this TV and a Wii? I have mine coming at the end of this week and I have seen some posts where people are getting small horizontal lines or a checkerboard pixelation kind of thing. I have used Gamecube cables without any problems but just want to make sure the Wii also has no problems with component and this TV. Thanks!

#9,058 ·

Quote:

do you notice a big difference between your component connection and hdmi with your cable/sat box?

Nothing worth noting. The one thing I did notice was the quality of the component cables. The ones the cable company supplied me with were junk. The color was a bit off and the connectors were loose. If you go with component be sure to get some decent cables for better color fidelity and sharpness. And make sure the cables fit nice and tight.

#9,059 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakesa7 /forum/post/0

So now that i have the hd dvd add on for the 360 i was wondering if i would get a better picture if i upgraded the basic xbox 360 component cable with some higher quality component cables. Any recommendations.. or is it even worth the extra money?

If Monster cables made a noticeable change to the picture we'd know about it. But that just isn't the case. Save yourself the money and stick with the cables you have.

#9,060 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatch321 /forum/post/0

If Monster cables made a noticeable change to the picture we'd know about it. But that just isn't the case. Save yourself the money and stick with the cables you have.

They actually did in my case. Sharpness and color fidelity were increased. Cables do make a difference when your dealing with analog video and audio. In the digital realm it makes no difference.

Now, is it worth spending $60 for Monster component cables? Probably not. You can get the same thing or better from places like Monoprice or Blue Jeans Cable--and for much cheaper.

#9,061 ·
How much would you pay for a supposedly lightly used Sony KDF-E42A10 42" HDTV with matching stand.

The seller says that he:

- Bought it brand new in box about 6 months ago at Best Buy for $1999

- that since then it has gotten consumer type use

- That is has a manufacture date of June 2005?

- That it looks and works perfectly as when he got it

- that he has never used the onboard speakers since he used it in a HT system

- that the bulb is the original one

- and that although he never apparently listened to this TV with the sound off... he never heard any kind of fan high pitched whine?

And... he will let me power the TV up and check it out before I pay cash and carry for it...

So.... how much should I pay for this TV plus stand.. or should I just pass on it? Current price is $600.

#9,065 ·
First post to the forum but have used it for research for a number of years now. Thanks to all for the valuable information that is posted here!

my question:

i've had my kdf-e42a10 since 9/7/05. love the tv but the past couple of weeks the picture has gotten very dark. i have been extremely careful with the lamp. i have a battery back-up on the tv so is has never been shut down without the fan cooling the lamp.

after a couple of hours of reading here, i've come to realize that the lamp is probably going, but i only have 3451 hours on it and of course no extended warranty! at the time, CC's warranty would not cover lamps so i pasted. i was wondering if anybody has had this problem or if there were any suggetions out there before i purchase a new lamp. has there been any problems with the original lamps included with these tv's?

my research has found that the sony xl-2400 bulb is a philips uhp 100w/120w 1.0 and according to philips, should last about 8000 hrs in eco mode and 6000 in high mode. the tv lamp runs @ 100w (per manual), so im assumming that this is the econo mode vs 120w. i also found that this lamp is the same one used in sony's e2000 series and while my manual does not state the life hrs, the e2000 does @ 8000.

i have opened a ticket with sony and am still waiting for a tech response so i figured id throw this question out here while i wait.

sorry to be so long winded...and i do appretiate any replies. thank you in advance!

#9,066 ·
pfontainejr,

I've got around the same amount of hours on my A10 and am not having any problems with the lamp. You might just be unlucky, but there's no guarantee that the lamp will last 6000-8000 hours. Sony doesn't cover lamp replacement unless it fails (pops) within a short period of time after owning it. You are kind of lucky that the lamp is getting darker rather than just burning out instantly. I hope mine does this so I can order a new one before it burns out.

You can argue with Sony that the lamp has a rating and maybe they will send you a new one. I kind of doubt they will but you never know. Good luck.

#9,067 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Rain /forum/post/0

Nothing worth noting. The one thing I did notice was the quality of the component cables. The ones the cable company supplied me with were junk. The color was a bit off and the connectors were loose. If you go with component be sure to get some decent cables for better color fidelity and sharpness. And make sure the cables fit nice and tight.

great, thanks. Yeah, I have some good cables. I will mess with it tonight if I get a chance. I would like to set up a SD dvd/ upconverted dvd comparison as well.

#9,068 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatch321 /forum/post/0

you don't necessarily need monster cables, just good quality cables, doesn't matter who makes em. Monster is overpriced, but you don't want to use the cheapo ones that usually come with a system

#9,069 ·
dark rain,

thanks for your reply. i know i may have no luck with sony, but i will be given it a very calm try.

i've had a brief conversation with 2 sony reps. i was told by one rep that they have no idea how long the lamp life is, then another told me the lamp would last only 2000-5000 hrs. the sales man @ CC quoted the 6000-8000 range which is on par with philips.

im just alittle aggravated with sonys responses so far and have asked to have a tech person call me back with the info i have given them.

like i said, i will attempt to work with sony calmly in order to find out if there are/is any issues with the oem lamp.

#9,070 ·
I have a spot, which appears to be dust or something, its just a darker spot about the size of your pinky fingernail that is on the inside of the screen or else somewhere in the optics. I am hoping that it is on the screen because I would assume that would be easier to clean.

Has anyone taken off the screen of their kdfe50a10 and cleaned the back of it and how hard was it. I am a pretty technical person but never really worked with TV's.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

#9,074 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetmisery /forum/post/0

How much are each lamp replacements there in US? So I have an idea how much it would cost here... thanks!

Sony Philippines so far dont know the price.

Since I can't post an URL to eBay here. Go there and type in "Sony XL-2400"

#9,075 ·
Hi all, Thanks for the great thread and settings!

Quick question: Everytime I turn on my tv it asks what language I want and also asks if I want to autoscan channels. I use my stereo reciever as a switchbox so I only use one input on the tv. Is there any way for me to disable the menu coming up everytime I start my tv? Thanks a lot for your help!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.