>>> The Official Sony Grand Wega V (A10 series) Thread <<< - Page 56 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1651 of 10847 Old 08-18-2005, 03:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale100 View Post

Another thing that surprised me was the wide zoom. I thought I would never be able to watch a stretched picture, that it would be too distracting and noticeable. However, it turns out it is not very noticeable at all, and it makes the visual experience better.-

I use the wide zoom all the time on the SD channels. Especially on my 34" sony because the side bars would make it look smaller. Wide zoom keeps everything normal in the middle and only stretches the outer side edges to make it full. I really like it. I can't wait till I get my 50A10.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1652 of 10847 Old 08-18-2005, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

I just want to buzz in here real quick and tell you guys I got my 42A10 today. So far I've tested some DVDs and HD and it looks really good. It's a lot better than I expected. Black levels are VERY acceptable and the overall contrast is really good. SD looks just as good as it did on my Sony KV-30HS420. In my case I run a splitter off the main line and have one cable going to my Motorola 6412 DVR box, and the other going straight to the RF input on the TV. Analog channels look MUCH better this way.

I'll check back in later after I get this thing calibrated with DVE. This is one nice looking TV.
post #1653 of 10847 Old 08-18-2005, 04:20 PM

The 42A10 is on the floor at CC in Mishawaka Indiana..... The price is under $18__ . Yep you read that right. I have a BB and Sears and ABC warehouse nearby but no one else has them in stock to price match. I want mine before the start of Football. I have HD directTV and can't wait for HD NFL.....
post #1654 of 10847 Old 08-18-2005, 04:24 PM

One more quick question. My viewing distance will be 8-10 feet. Will I be OK with the 42A10?
post #1655 of 10847 Old 08-18-2005, 04:48 PM

This thread is alot more upbeat now. I wonder if the other people knocking the A10's came in to disrupt my dream of owning a 50A10 because they bought an inferior product
post #1656 of 10847 Old 08-18-2005, 05:01 PM

I've had the 42" A10 for about a week now, and I absolutely love it. I have an H10 feeding it the satellite signal via HDMI, and the SD quality ranges from decent to excellent. Some channels just look like garbage, but since they looked poor on my "old" 32" XBR too, I can't fault the new TV.

DVD's look fantastic, but again, they're completely source dependant. LoTR's and the original Star Wars films look absolutely stunning... while some lower quality discs can be a bit hard to watch. One thing I did notice is that the TV's zoom feature appears to be very good, as I have a few 4:3 letterbox DVD's I thought I would have to retire. As it turns out, most of them looked very good. I was very impressed. The player is a Pioneer 320 recorder, connected via component cables. I would love to get a high-quality upconverting player so I can see if it makes any difference, but I own a pretty good number of out of region movies, so I require that "special feature", which makes my options limited. I thought seriously about importing one of the European Pioneer Elite models (which come in silver to match the rest of my gear), but it would suck to drop that kind of dime on something only to not see any real difference in the picture quality.

The few HD broadcasts look incredible... there's nothing more I can say. Even with my satellite providers poor HD quality (I'm pretty sure you can figure out who I'm referring to), the picture is still awesome. I am seriously considering hitting up the local cable provider for a good deal so I can get some "real" HD channels.

Not a big fan of the dynamic iris, although with certain content it is somewhat useful. I just turned it off after getting my settings where I wanted them to be.

The red push is strong, and I would love to get the set calibrated by a professional. Any recommendations on a tech in the Northern Virginia area?

The digital out seems worthless, which was very disappointing. I had hoped that it would act as a pass through, so I could just feed the HDMI cable to the set, then the digital out to my A/V receiver. The TV will play sound via HDMI through its own speakers, but all attempts to get it to pass the signal to my receiver have failed. It's not a really big deal, but a bit annoying nonetheless.

I'll post some pics of it running various content in a little bit, so you can have a look for yourself.

Kai
post #1657 of 10847 Old 08-18-2005, 05:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Price at PC Richards is still $1888 for the E50A10! Go get em.

My life is set at reference level.
post #1658 of 10847 Old 08-18-2005, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mknmuzic View Post

One more quick question. My viewing distance will be 8-10 feet. Will I be OK with the 42A10?

My viewing distance is 9ft. I have a 42 inch crt rear projection and am upgrading to the 50a10
post #1659 of 10847 Old 08-18-2005, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GobbityGotz View Post

For the 50?? Wow! Sure it wasn't the 42??
post #1660 of 10847 Old 08-18-2005, 05:47 PM

Not sure why the bashers showed up--but I do know one thing--these sets are selling extremely fast. One thing is clear--Sony has placed this set at precisely the correct price point to bring a lot of people into the HD arena.

I cannot say my set is ideal--the red push is annoying--but I am pleased. The size
is really what sold me on the set. Hope everyone really does not get too touchy about the performance of this set and just enjoys the picture.

Brad
post #1661 of 10847 Old 08-18-2005, 06:00 PM
Advanced Member

I try to be a realist:
- SDE can be noticed if looking for it, or stand too close. I could see it at about 12 feet, if I tried hard.
- SSE is noticible; you need to decide if it bothers you.
- The TV had a very good picture.
- The Panasonic 50" plasma looked so much better it ticked me off.

I hope my comments were not considered "bash"ing. My reaction to the 50" A10 I saw was it was as good or better than the DLPs and other rear projection TVs near it, keeping in mind the junky coax feed at Sears. I have seen only one A10 so far at one store, and plan on seeing more TVs at different stores.
post #1662 of 10847 Old 08-18-2005, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmil View Post

I just got this home from Sears and hooked it up with the cable going straight into the TV...............LOUSY picture looks extremelly grainy like "modern art". I am ordering ANOTHER set. I even tried the DVD think at least that will have the usual great picture and the same thing..........bad and extremely grainy picture. Even Sony said in that case it must be the TV. HELP...........if there's anyone that would like to help I'd sure appreciate it. I can give you my phone number if you PM me. I saw the same tv at Sears and Best Buy and the picture was excellent. The box, BTW, was smashed in slightly on the side near the rear of the TV. I'm soooooooooooooo frustrated!!! HELP This should work find out of the box! This is the ONLY TV I ever got where it appears not to be good OTB.

Do you have a small antenna you can use? Do you have any local networks that transmit in High Def?

My HT: 60" Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD (calibration soon), Krell electronics, B&W N802s.
post #1663 of 10847 Old 08-18-2005, 06:03 PM

Quote:

I went in there the other day and the price was $1988, I'll try another store.
post #1664 of 10847 Old 08-18-2005, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Bought the set from Best Buy, should arrive on the 2nd of Sept., possibly earlier.

Stopped by Sears tonight with my mother to look at stoves. While she looked at stoves, I drifted towards the TVs. I figured I'd tinker around with the 50A10 they have on display there.

I don't think the feed was very good, not SD, not digital, something in betwen digital and HD ... display said 480p ... not sure what channel it was, but some kind of Tom Petty concert was playing. This was good 'cause I could finally see how this set handled some difficult shadows and blacks. My impression: not particularly great ... nt as good as the 50" Samsung DLP next to it.

I tried turning DRC mode off, but the TV wouldn't let me (turning DRC off at Circuit City the day before seemed to help a lot, sharpened up the pic, gave it some 'pop'). Speaking of pop, Sears also had the Sony A20 on the floor, playing Shark Tale; is it me, or does that A20 have a much more vibrant and colorful pic. It's as if this new A10 series (from what I've seen in stores) has a very soft picture ... as if the lamp isn't strong enough or something .. very dim-looking. Has Sony cut some corners with this new set .. decreasing light output on the bulbs or something?

I don't know . I just wanna get this TV in my room, evaluate it, and get this whole business over with. I wanna be happy after spending over $2,000 ... if not, I'll be returning it .... and continue shopping and researching .. maybe I'll never buy a TV (LOL!) .. Oy, this HDTV-buying stuff is a tricky business. As they say, analysis is paralysis.
post #1665 of 10847 Old 08-18-2005, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherrogue View Post

I went in there the other day and the price was $1988, I'll try another store.

The ad in Sunday's Star Ledger had it listed for $1888. Here it is. I bought it at another local store 2 weeks ago with a price guarantee. I brought this ad in this week and they pricematched for me and credited me $242 off my bill. Grand total $2052 with delivery and tax.
LL

post #1666 of 10847 Old 08-18-2005, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh my god

After viewing this ---> http://www.panasonic.com/consumer_el...12&cont_id=822

I think I'm gonna cancel my order and wait for the alleged price drop.
post #1667 of 10847 Old 08-18-2005, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Guys, respectfully, this thread will get DELETED if you guys keep talking about prices below MSRP....if you want to talk about pricing, do it privately in private messages. Seriously, this thread has a fair amount of useful info and the moderators/admins will delete it if you continue the pricing talk....I don't want to see it deleted, do you?

Fair warning....it's not my rules....I just don't want to see this thread deleted.

My HT: 60" Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD (calibration soon), Krell electronics, B&W N802s.
post #1668 of 10847 Old 08-18-2005, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The ad in Sunday's Star Ledger had it listed for $1888. Here it is. I bought it at another local store 2 weeks ago with a price guarantee. I brought this ad in this week and they pricematched for me and credited me $242 off my bill. Grand total $2052 with delivery and tax.

First of all i just twisted my neck, second, i think it's probably the WE655 series. No way in hell can the 50A10 be $18--, that would mean the 42" would have to be around $14--
post #1669 of 10847 Old 08-18-2005, 07:20 PM

Quote:

It's as if this new A10 series (from what I've seen in stores) has a very soft picture ... as if the lamp isn't strong enough or something .. very dim-looking. Has Sony cut some corners with this new set .. decreasing light output on the bulbs or something?

Yes, Yoda1, SONY has intentionally decreased the light output to produce a dim-looking set. They have, in fact, used left-over christmas tree bulbs from Wal-Mart in a cost cutting measure. Truly, the picture is much softer than competitors sets to hide the dimness. Everyone knows the Japanese produce inferior products.

Run immediately to the phone and cancel your "order." Buy a Panasonic plasma set-- and since they don't burn-in anymore, buy a floor model and save some money.

I couldn't resist and why would you place a link to a Panasonic site? Obviously you just want to get fools like me to jump to the bait.

Sorry a good forum seems to be degenerating. I guess they all do.
post #1670 of 10847 Old 08-18-2005, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoote View Post

Guys, respectfully, this thread will get DELETED if you guys keep talking about prices below MSRP....if you want to talk about pricing, do it privately in private messages. Seriously, this thread has a fair amount of useful info and the moderators/admins will delete it if you continue the pricing talk....I don't want to see it deleted, do you?

Fair warning....it's not my rules....I just don't want to see this thread deleted.

here here! i downloaded the thread, before it administrators kill it!

Leadercrat

"I have given myself anything I've ever wanted. There hasn't been any pleasure or object that I have refused to give myself. At the end of my life, I looked over everything that I had done and all that I had acquired. I looked at what I had worked so hard to get. And nothing, no nothing, had any meaning or real value. It was all like chasing the wind."

Denon AVR-3806
Denon DVD-2910
Outlaw 7700
Paradigm Monitor Series Front 11s, CC-370,ADP-370
Sony KDF-E50A10
PUREAV HT UPS w/AVR AP308
PUREAV HT Power Console PF60
Moto 6412
post #1671 of 10847 Old 08-18-2005, 07:46 PM

I am an employee at Best Buy and just picked up the e42a10 from the warehouse. A lot of the associates told me to buy the Samsung DLP instead but I felt that the picture was to dark. Anyway since I just got it I wanted to know why my component cables don't work in the the component jacks. Right now i have it only hooked up to a cheap cyberhome dvd player but it has component outputs, and the screen rotates across. Do I need to buy a upconvert dvd player to use the component cables or should I try a different dvd player? I am considering buying one but in the meantime I wanted to know if there is a problem with my tv or is it my cyberhome dvd player? Thank you for any insight that anyone can share.
post #1672 of 10847 Old 08-18-2005, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow, Dale100, are we a bit testy today?

Internet forums are all the same, instead of the franchise wars (on movie forums), it's the tv-brand wars on here.

Me? I don't have allegiances to any one company or any one product, but this set, and the effusive praise for it on this forum, has me scratching my head. Are the people who like what they've seen really viewing the same set that I am?

I mean, the silk screen effect on this thing is very visible, much more so than the previous model. Colors are more washed out, black levels seems dimmer and more gray. Sure it has some nice features and inputs and all the rest of it. But it all comes down to PQ, and I just don't think this thing cuts it.
post #1673 of 10847 Old 08-18-2005, 08:00 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by danotoriusodo View Post

I am an employee at Best Buy and just picked up the e42a10 from the warehouse. A lot of the associates told me to buy the Samsung DLP instead but I felt that the picture was to dark. Anyway since I just got it I wanted to know why my component cables don't work in the the component jacks. Right now i have it only hooked up to a cheap cyberhome dvd player but it has component outputs, and the screen rotates across. Do I need to buy a upconvert dvd player to use the component cables or should I try a different dvd player? I am considering buying one but in the meantime I wanted to know if there is a problem with my tv or is it my cyberhome dvd player? Thank you for any insight that anyone can share.

Well, I have a 480i (i.e. non upconverting) DVD player connected to Video 5 (I'm pretty sure) with component cables and it works fine.
Try some different video inputs on the TV and see if that helps.

What do you mean by "the screen rotates across?" If you mean the DVD player's screen is visible on the TV, then it sure sounds like the TV is receiving from the DVD player. If that's the case, but the movie isn't showing, then it sure sounds like a DVD player problem to me.

Mitch
post #1674 of 10847 Old 08-18-2005, 08:06 PM

Yoda1, I just haven't seen any of the things you talk about and I looked at a lot of sets. I am looking at an 50A10 right now and it has a beautiful picture and it is on an SD analog channel, so it is hard for me to take you seriously, but you may have seen what you say. If you really have ordered one you should cancel it.

I agree that plasma sets have a PQ edge. I have seen plasma sets that looked like cartoons and expensive ones that look fantastic. In fact, seeing the plasma sets first got me interested in HD. I do, however, have a 90 year-old Mother living with me, who watches Fox News all day long. I really don't want the stress of worrying about burn-in. Like they say, I don't want to see a Fox news logo on the Sci-fi Channel. If plasma technology gets so I am sure burn-in is a thing of the past, I may buy one.

You should guess right now that the set is currently on-- Fox News.
post #1675 of 10847 Old 08-18-2005, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipcrkr View Post

First of all i just twisted my neck, second, i think it's probably the WE655 series. No way in hell can the 50A10 be $18--, that would mean the 42" would have to be around $14--

You're right, no way in hell that picture and model number is correct even though it says NEW Sony Grand Wega AND lists the model number KDFE50A10 AND shows a perfect picture of the new model TV. Regardless I got it for that price so I'm a happy boy.

Sorry no more price talk.

post #1676 of 10847 Old 08-18-2005, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

I actually really did order the tv. In fact, I went back to Best Buy today to cancel my service plan because the salesman there outright lied to me about the cost of a replacement lamp.

Dale100: There isn't any possibility that you could post some screenshots of HD or DVD, could you? I mean, I know you probably don't wanna deal with me right now, but I'd love to just get some idea of the great picture you're talking about.

Could anyone else, for that matter, post some screenshots? I'd love to see how Halo 2 looks on this thing, for instance.

Thx!
post #1677 of 10847 Old 08-18-2005, 08:24 PM

I have a 32in hd sony tv and it has a great picture, but my biggest grip is the 29in window in highdef...so small it looks about as good as a 480P dvd. So so I started looking at the 42a10 for my next set. After reading so many mixed reviews here I'm very confused now. I went to circuitcity today and saw it for the first time and loved the look of the cabinet.However, I cant tell about the pq they had a DVD movie playing on like 5 sets including this one, so I wasn't sure if it was a bad feed. I also looked at the older 42in model and it looked great but hate the cabinet style.Which is better?
42in owners are you guys happy with your sets?
post #1678 of 10847 Old 08-18-2005, 08:35 PM

holy crap - watched HD football for the first time tonight!! NE vs. NO. unfortunately the cable box is down but i was able to get it via coax. the picture is freaking crazy! i thought i had grass growing out of my tv it was so clear. the first thing that i noticed was the dirt flying off the grass during tackles - detail is incredible. fast movements do make my eyes a little shifty - i'm not sure if its me not used to a big tv (previous tv was 27" walmart phillips tv) or whether i'm picking up on the problem viewing fast motion on lcd. Can't wait to see the Bills tearing it up now

Panasonic 50PX50U 50" Plasma
Westy W3213 32" LCD
Optoma HD70 Projector

Pioneer 1015-TX
Athena AS-F2.2 (Mains), C1 (Center), B1 (Rears)
Acoustec H100 Sub

(Gamer Tag - ICE NY)
post #1679 of 10847 Old 08-18-2005, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobbway View Post

This thread is alot more upbeat now. I wonder if the other people knocking the A10's came in to disrupt my dream of owning a 50A10 because they bought an inferior product

My 42 A10 arrived today, and let me tell you, I was getting pretty nervous after readng all the comments the last week or so. I fully expected a busted up TV (due to shipping mishaps and) or dead pixels, or something bad. All my worries have been put to rest, my SD pic's are much better than I expected. I can't wait to get the CableCard installed, if the SD channels look this good, I can't wait to see what the HD channels look like. I'm in SoCal and have Charter Cable, it must be a decent feed.
post #1680 of 10847 Old 08-18-2005, 08:54 PM

Okay I have a question. Ive had the 42 a10 for a few days now and i just got done watching return of the king on my xbox via component. When it got to the end of the movie i hit the stop button on the controler and got up and turned my xbox off. As soon as I did that my tv made this click sound like it turned off yet it didnt turn off completely. The power button was blinking on and off and it made some beebing noises. At this point i switched back to my cable input and it came trough fine as if nothing had happened. I tried to recreate the scenario but it didnt happened this time. It has been working fine ever since. Any idea what could have happened? It wasnt a power surge or anything like that because nothing else in my apartment did anything funny. Should this be a cause for concern? What would you all do?
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page