>>> The Official Sony Grand Wega V (A10 series) Thread <<< - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 10849 Old 07-28-2005, 07:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I actually found a really nice swiveling stand at my local Bernies. Not sure if you have one.

I have my 60" Grand wega on a swiveling stand, it is really nice. One side have a fireplace can turn it 30 degrees easily, and straight on I have my couch.

It is perfect.

Edit:

For anyone who has these TVs, two requests
1) Pictures!!
2) Clarity of text from a computer on the TV thru HDMI

RishiD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 10849 Old 07-28-2005, 07:26 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
FWIW, I ordered this stand for the 50A10 that will be joining the family around August 14 - hopefully.
http://www.racksandstands.com/prods/...0/0PTC0050.htm

It's not a swivel, but it addressed some key concerns for me:
my center can fit on the shelf below the TV, my components on the bottom shelf and it's relatively shallow (only 20.5") - I have a tight corner I'm working with and depth is critical.

Mitch
post #183 of 10849 Old 07-28-2005, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theph0xx View Post

If anyone is looking to order from Sears, particularly in California, refer to the information I posted here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post5952368

It includes the Sears order number and info and explanation. Enjoy!

Where in California?
post #184 of 10849 Old 07-28-2005, 08:20 PM

I stopped by UE (in the St. Louis area) again today. They now have it listed in their system at a price of $2499 for the 50" plus a 10% sale, so the final price is $2249.

Earlier this week, I preordered it from them when they had it listed for $2799 and on sale for $2519. They are having a store wide sale, which ends on 7/30, so that could be why its been discounted. The salesman said he would credit me the difference, since I had already paid for it.

In addition, he's going to give me a call when they get a floor model, so I can check it out in person to make sure this is the TV I want. He thought that they should get a floor model by Friday and I might have mine delivered by Saturday night. I can't wait!!

That's a pretty good price. I don't know if that's going to be there standard price or if it was just a sale that could be ending this Saturday. If you guys have an UE in your area, I would check it out.
post #185 of 10849 Old 07-28-2005, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFFred View Post

Dlpwanter's review is much much appreciated, and it brings to light what I think is a pretty important issue regarding the Iris, begging the question: Is this Iris really dynamic/automatic?

Here's what I'm talking about: Sony in their manual describes the Iris as one that "automatically open(s) and close(s) according to the incoming signal level . . ." (p. 9 of the Manual, Sony Style site) yet later on it indicates that the iris is set (presumably by the user) to high/medium/low/off (p. 65, Manual), which is exactly what DLPwanter had to do - set the iris. Doesn't sound automatic to me if you have to manually set it.

The only theory I can come up with that reconciles all this is that maybe the iris setting somehow sets its *sensitivity*, as opposed to just setting a *static* arpeture opening size. Just a theory based on speculation, hyperbole, innuendo, and viscious rumors . . . Anybody know the definitive answer on this? After all the hoopla and high expectations about the iris, it would be pretty disappointing if it was just a sort of dumbed down version of the truly automatic one used in that Sony projector (VS51 or something like that).

It's quite possible that it is automatic once you set the level. Another words, if you set it to medium the iris automatically adjusts the light to be at medium. The owner makes the choice of what level they prefer then the TV does the rest.
post #186 of 10849 Old 07-28-2005, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellraiser View Post

pictures .... show us some pictures

Ok, here are a few.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/m.robe...7b.jpg&.src=ph
post #187 of 10849 Old 07-28-2005, 08:50 PM

i dont quite understand why anyone will care to read about the availability of this TV in your neighborhood. i understand you are excited but please refrain from publically announcing this detail. it makes the thread much more bloated and harder to read. the main focus should be reviews/impressions on the quality of the TV and questions about the TV technology. thanks.
post #188 of 10849 Old 07-28-2005, 09:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scherer326 View Post

you think CC will price-match J&R's 50a10 for $2299

Dream on!
post #189 of 10849 Old 07-28-2005, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dano1122 View Post

i dont quite understand why anyone will care to read about the availability of this TV in your neighborhood. i understand you are excited but please refrain from publically announcing this detail. it makes the thread much more bloated and harder to read. the main focus should be reviews/impressions on the quality of the TV and questions about the TV technology. thanks.

I posted that information, cuz I thought it was a good deal for the TV and I wanted to inform other forum members who were looking for a place to buy this TV. I apologize for putting any other additional/irrelevant information in my post.
post #190 of 10849 Old 07-28-2005, 10:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlpwanter View Post

Ok, here are a few.

Wow, you have some interesting views out your windows. Hey wait a minute, those aren't windows ....

Mitch
post #191 of 10849 Old 07-28-2005, 10:57 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
For me, its down to the JVC D-ILA(52G786) or the Sony 50A10! I saw the JVC at BB the other day and was impressed by the PQ. I'll have to take a ride over to my local Sears to see if they got one on display to compare. Now there are definately more positive aspects than negative with the new A10's, but there are a couple little "scratch-your-head" issues. How does a $2500 dollar TV have only ONE S-video output? Also, Sony usually gets it right when it comes to ergonomics and aesthetics but why would I want component output on the SIDE of the TV? Please leave component output on the rear panel please!
I like watching SD cable via S-video connection on these type of sets. That doesn't leave me with much. Am I gonna have to disconnect my STB so I can use my camcorder, etc through S-video? Albeit, these are little issues, but I'm just trying to play through my connectivity options between the JVC and Sony!

Denon AVR-X2000------>Def Tech PM1000's------>Def Tech PC2000------->Sub(TBD)
Pioneer Pro111FD viewed from 7'------>Picture mode, ISF Day(calibrated by umr)
Sony PS3

post #192 of 10849 Old 07-29-2005, 12:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeper78 View Post

I know a number of people now have the KDF-E50A10 home and set up. Unfortunately, most of them are still posting in the "Sony launches new native 720p... " mega-thread. What I want to know is has anyone hooked up their PC yet? Does the VGA input accept 720p? If not, can you do 720p via DVI->HDMI from your PC?

I too am very interested to hear if the A10's can do 1:1 pixel mapping with the HDMI and VGA inputs. Also to help anyone who wants to test that here is a test pattern that has been used by a lot of AVS members to determine whether a display could do 1:1 pixel mapping. You save the image to your hard drive and than set it as your wallpaper with the tile setting. The test pattern was originally posted here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlpwanter View Post

Ok, here are a few.

Those are some good photos and I think the one with the bird was very well done. Also I know it may not photograph well but could you take a picture of a dark scene such as from Dark City or LOTR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBloggz View Post

How does a $2500 dollar TV have only ONE S-video output?

Well their is an HDMI input, VGA input, and three component video inputs. Also if you need to connect several S-Video devices their is always the option of a 4 input switch box from Wal-mart or Radioshack.

Quote:

Also, Sony usually gets it right when it comes to ergonomics and aesthetics but why would I want component output on the SIDE of the TV?

I believe the idea behind that was so you could hook up a HDV camcorder without having to get to the back of the TV. It does seem a little odd to put inputs on the side instead of the front but it is also done by several other manufacturers.

Quote:

I like watching SD cable via S-video connection on these type of sets.

I think that if your satellite/cable box has a component video output you might want to give that a try.
post #193 of 10849 Old 07-29-2005, 12:24 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
I think that if your satellite/cable box has a component video output you might want to give that a try.[/quote]

Component output is not ideal for SD PQ. S-video or even composite looks alot better for SD material. I appreciate your input. Using a switch box would alleviate some connectivity problems.

Also, dlpwanter, or other A10 owners( I know there are few at this point) could you talk about the aspect modes on these sets?? Is there a good "stretch" mode that will allow viewing of 4:3 material in WS without too much distortion?

Denon AVR-X2000------>Def Tech PM1000's------>Def Tech PC2000------->Sub(TBD)
Pioneer Pro111FD viewed from 7'------>Picture mode, ISF Day(calibrated by umr)
Sony PS3

post #194 of 10849 Old 07-29-2005, 01:03 AM

Also, dlpwanter, or other A10 owners( I know there are few at this point) could you talk about the aspect modes on these sets?? Is there a good "stretch" mode that will allow viewing of 4:3 material in WS without too much distortion?

I'm not dlpwanter but my new 34" sony ( that I'm selling to get the 52A10) has the Wide Zoom that only stetches the ends and keeps the middle as is. this looks real good to me. I believe in the 50A10 manual mentions the wide Zoom mode you can select.
post #195 of 10849 Old 07-29-2005, 01:11 AM

i apologize if my post was unwelcome behavior.
post #196 of 10849 Old 07-29-2005, 01:11 AM

I just wanted to ask if anyone has tested "Game mode" in the A10.

I'm wondering if the game mode has absolutely no lag whatsoever. I'm a hardcore gamer, and if anyone here plays MvC2, please oh PLEASE give us some info on the performance of the A10.

And I'm pretty sure motion blur isn't any problem (to any new tv's nowadays) anymore, right?
post #197 of 10849 Old 07-29-2005, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simontoyou View Post

I'm wondering if the game mode has absolutely no lag whatsoever. I'm a hardcore gamer, and if anyone here plays MvC2, please oh PLEASE give us some info on the performance of the A10.

And I'm pretty sure motion blur isn't any problem (to any new tv's nowadays) anymore, right?

Yes please respond. The main reason for the TV is MediaCenterPC, HTPC. Running it all through the TV and can't wait to play games like Doom3 finally with my towers and dual subs!! Someone test a game out already on it. Thanks.
post #198 of 10849 Old 07-29-2005, 04:16 AM

Looks like Shop Sunshine has two 42a10s for sale on ebay. Not sure whether they have them in stock. Note the buy it now.

http://search.*********/sony-42-lcd_W0QQfkrZ1QQfromZR8
post #199 of 10849 Old 07-29-2005, 04:30 AM

Check out the listing for the A10 on the Crutchfield web site. In the photos section they actually show the iris in both open and closed positions!
post #200 of 10849 Old 07-29-2005, 04:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Component output is not ideal for SD PQ. S-video or even composite looks alot better for SD material. I appreciate your input. Using a switch box would alleviate some connectivity problems.

I agree, I think someone commented awhile back that the A10 did a nice job of scaling SD on the set, and I would leave the sets internal electronics to do the job (unless you have a very nice scaler hanging around!) rather than the cable box. I believe S-Video uses whatever the *source* is for scaling, i.e. the cable box. Composite and RF use the A10s internal scaler.

Someone please chime in if I'm wrong....

My HT: 60" Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD (calibration soon), Krell electronics, B&W N802s.
post #201 of 10849 Old 07-29-2005, 05:41 AM

I am looking hard at the 42A10 and wondered if others are checking out an extended warranty for this tv?
post #202 of 10849 Old 07-29-2005, 05:45 AM

I will be purchasing the 50A10 and I am interested in buying some home theater equipment to go along with it.

I am looking at a newly released DENON HT in a box. It is due to release soon. I'm trying to decide between the S-101 and the S-301. The key difference is that he S-301 has HDMI Output with selectable scaling - 480p/720p/1080i, while the S-101 does not. And about 600 dollars difference.

Does the 50A10 have built in capabilities that would make this scaling difference a mute point? If the 50A10 doesn't have compensating capabilities, do you think the selectable scaling feature is worthwhile investigating further?

Thanks!

Leadercrat

Complete info on Denon S-101 and S-301 available on the world wide web audioholics site

Denon AVR-3806
Denon DVD-2910
Outlaw 7700
Paradigm Monitor Series Front 11s, CC-370,ADP-370
Sony KDF-E50A10
PUREAV HT UPS w/AVR AP308
PUREAV HT Power Console PF60
Moto 6412
post #203 of 10849 Old 07-29-2005, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer94 View Post

I posted that information, cuz I thought it was a good deal for the TV and I wanted to inform other forum members who were looking for a place to buy this TV. I apologize for putting any other additional/irrelevant information in my post.

I like your posting or anyone's, telling me places to get the A10's. We need to find the best deals and I don't have the time to shop everywhere while living in rural America.
post #204 of 10849 Old 07-29-2005, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyjack View Post

I am looking hard at the 42A10 and wondered if others are checking out an extended warranty for this tv?

For me, it's a must have with the new models. 5 year extended warranty is what I need
post #205 of 10849 Old 07-29-2005, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simontoyou View Post

If I were you I would bring my Play station, and game to the store that's displaying A10's and play with it . Let us know
post #206 of 10849 Old 07-29-2005, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobbway View Post

For me, it's a must have with the new models. 5 year extended warranty is what I need

$280 from sonystyle.com
post #207 of 10849 Old 07-29-2005, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadercrat View Post

I will be purchasing the 50A10 and I am interested in buying some home theater equipment to go along with it.

I am looking at a newly released DENON HT in a box. It is due to release soon. I'm trying to decide between the S-101 and the S-301. The key difference is that he S-301 has HDMI Output with selectable scaling - 480p/720p/1080i, while the S-101 does not. And about 600 dollars difference.

Does the 50A10 have built in capabilities that would make this scaling difference a mute point? If the 50A10 doesn't have compensating capabilities, do you think the selectable scaling feature is worthwhile investigating further?

Thanks!

Leadercrat

Complete info on Denon S-101 and S-301 available on the world wide web audioholics site

I would use only the T.V scaler/ tuner. If you scale it before the T.V and then the T.V scales it again I think it would degrade the picture. I beleive the reveiws we've recieved so far states the A10's do an excellent job of scaling.
post #208 of 10849 Old 07-29-2005, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Any of you considering the new Oppo Upconverting DVD player that everyone is talking about these days? Seems to be the cat's meow for $200.
post #209 of 10849 Old 07-29-2005, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

Folks, your suggestions would be appreciated. I am looking for a small pair of speakers (2 are enough) to hopefully be able to shut off the internal speakers and just be able to hook up the speakers to the back of the new 50 inch Sony WITHOUT (hopefully) have to get a separate amp. I'm hoping that these speakers can be powered the TV itself. Nothing complicated.

My cursory examination of the speakers at Sears left me very disappointed.
Perhaps Sony should have hired Samsung engineers because the Sammy DLP's have great sound. I love all kinds of music and hearing Classical music and some good Garth Brooks is one way for me to test speaker quality. BTW, is there indeed a simple hookup for external speakers on the REAR of the Sony? Just my luck this simple "fix" won't work. Thanks for your time and attention.
post #210 of 10849 Old 07-29-2005, 08:14 AM

If you look in the manual available online at sonystyle.com, I don't think you're going to find any place to connect external speakers. You'll need an external amp (ie home theater system) to do it.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page