Grand Wega V Tweeks - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 2774 Old 01-20-2006, 07:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just a quick note--

I had been less than happy with the standard definition (aren't we all). Last night I was trying different settings for 4:3 broadcasts, pitting the cable box (8300HD DVR) against the Wega settings. When I had my cable box set to "sidebars" it put up some ugly gray bars and the picture looked poor.

Last night I set it to default 4:3 broadcasts to "Stretch". Then I set the WEGA to display 4:3 in "Normal" mode. I set DRC to Dark Rain's settings.

The result was not a stretched 4:3, but rather a perfect 4:3 with black sidebars instead of gray... the picture was very clean and looked excellent all-around. I don't know why "Normal" on the WEGA would un-stretch the cable signal, but it WORKS and looks GREAT.

--Marcus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 2774 Old 01-20-2006, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusSerius View Post

Just a quick note--
Last night I set it to default 4:3 broadcasts to "Stretch". Then I set the WEGA to display 4:3 in "Normal" mode. I set DRC to Dark Rain's settings.

... the picture was very clean and looked excellent all-around. I don't know why "Normal" on the WEGA would un-stretch the cable signal, but it WORKS and looks GREAT.
--Marcus

Once I got the DRC palette set like Darkrains, my analog cable (direct into the cable tuner in the TV) looked great.

Better is one day in your courts, better is one day in your house, better is one day in your courts, than thousands elsewhere....
post #543 of 2774 Old 01-20-2006, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Too bad I can't change the DRC on my SAT box connection. HDMI. Oh well will have to live with terrible SD.

Gamertag: Quicksilver1663
PSN: ujustshaturpants
post #544 of 2774 Old 01-20-2006, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolshark69 View Post

Too bad I can't change the DRC on my SAT box connection. HDMI. Oh well will have to live with terrible SD.

Consider piping a second output from the SAT box as S-video into another input on the TV. You then can apply the DRC adjustments.
post #545 of 2774 Old 01-20-2006, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Would love to but it only has composite as a second out put option. I may try that.

Gamertag: Quicksilver1663
PSN: ujustshaturpants
post #546 of 2774 Old 01-20-2006, 04:04 PM

Ok...I was just messing around with the two service menu settings that have been discussed in this thread: CH_ITU_MODE1 and CH_AXIS1. Just for kicks (holding my breath the entire time), I tried to go higher than the 046 that seems to be the default. I wasnt expecting much, but with DVE feeding the WEGA the color bar test pattern, it seemed that my greens improved with CH_AXIS1 set to 049, without any affect on the reds and blues. I have the CH_ITU_MODE1 set to 000.

Anyone else willing to try these out with their calibration "tool" and tell me what you think. The remainder of my settings are those of DarkRain (which I must say a big "thank you" to).

Thoughts?

Edit:
Having watched for a while with these settings, I really like the flesh tones better. They seem less green to me and more life like.
post #547 of 2774 Old 01-20-2006, 04:10 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolshark69 View Post

Would love to but it only has composite as a second out put option. I may try that.

Can you configure the sat box that it sends out native signals (480i as 480i) instead of upconverting? The HMDI connection itself is not the problem, but as mentioned before, DRC works only for 480i.
post #548 of 2774 Old 01-20-2006, 10:01 PM

has anyone tried setting the axis to 003b, and setting the ch_mode setting to 001? seems everyone either uses ch_mode 000 or 002, but to me 001 and 002 reds look identical and better hten 000, and 001 green looks better then 002. Im using DVE for reference.
post #549 of 2774 Old 01-21-2006, 12:37 AM

Will the UMR tweaks for the GWII work for the A10?
post #550 of 2774 Old 01-21-2006, 07:05 AM

I Just Got This Tv The Other Day And I Love It. I'm Using The Sa Explorer 3250hd From Charter. Do I Need To Change The Display Settings In The Sa 3250 Setup To 720p To Get The Best Hd Picture Or What Should They Be Set On? I Have Also Tried Some Of The Video Settings On Here And Still Playing Around With Them (using Component Cables). Enjoy All The Posts And Any Input I Can Get For This Tv. Thanks
post #551 of 2774 Old 01-21-2006, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Volblood originally posted:
I Just Got This Tv The Other Day And I Love It. I'm Using The Sa Explorer 3250hd From Charter. Do I Need To Change The Display Settings In The Sa 3250 Setup To 720p To Get The Best Hd Picture Or What Should They Be Set On?

I personally think you get the best results with the SA boxes by setting them to passthrough and let the A10 do the conversion. In this way, the High def signals will go through as broadcast while you could set up the DRC pallete of the component input for your 480i Standard Def signals.
post #552 of 2774 Old 01-21-2006, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtfan99 View Post

Ok...I was just messing around with the two service menu settings that have been discussed in this thread: CH_ITU_MODE1 and CH_AXIS1. Just for kicks (holding my breath the entire time), I tried to go higher than the 046 that seems to be the default. I wasnt expecting much, but with DVE feeding the WEGA the color bar test pattern, it seemed that my greens improved with CH_AXIS1 set to 049, without any affect on the reds and blues. I have the CH_ITU_MODE1 set to 000.

Anyone else have a chance to try these settings out yet? I guess it doesn't really matter as beauty is in the eye of the beholder right? Just curious if anyone has an opinion
post #553 of 2774 Old 01-21-2006, 05:36 PM

I have trouble inputting proper PC signal via VGA to A10. PC resolution is set at 1024 X 760 and the screen shown up on the TV is shifted to the right and part of the image horizontally & vertically is truncated. This happened after I trigged off the auto screen process under Setting in the TV. I can never get this screen right again. The only way to fix this seems to be turning the PC resolution down to 800 X 640, then the full image shown up correctly at the centre. Obviously, this impairs on the picture quality on the TV.

I just wonder if anyone had similar experience in setting up their PC input on the TV and can give me some advice to tackle this problem.

Thanks
post #554 of 2774 Old 01-21-2006, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlai01 View Post

I have trouble inputting proper PC signal via VGA to A10. PC resolution is set at 1024 X 760 and the screen shown up on the TV is shifted to the right and part of the image horizontally & vertically is truncated. This happened after I trigged off the auto screen process under Setting in the TV. I can never get this screen right again. The only way to fix this seems to be turning the PC resolution down to 800 X 640, then the full image shown up correctly at the centre. Obviously, this impairs on the picture quality on the TV.

I just wonder if anyone had similar experience in setting up their PC input on the TV and can give me some advice to tackle this problem.

Thanks

Try starting with a PC resolution of 1280x768 at 60Hz refresh

- John
post #555 of 2774 Old 01-21-2006, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deconvolver View Post

Try starting with a PC resolution of 1280x768 at 60Hz refresh

The highest resolution of my PC is 1024 X 768??? Don't know how I can set it to higher display rating.
post #556 of 2774 Old 01-21-2006, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atek99 View Post

I personally think you get the best results with the SA boxes by setting them to passthrough and let the A10 do the conversion. In this way, the High def signals will go through as broadcast while you could set up the DRC pallete of the component input for your 480i Standard Def signals.

How do I set up the DRC pallete of the component? Earlier I was watching basketball in standard (not hd) and there was two pixels at the top of the screen just staring at me. I switched some settings on my hd box and they went away. Would the signal have caused this?
post #557 of 2774 Old 01-21-2006, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusSerius View Post

Just a quick note--

I had been less than happy with the standard definition (aren't we all). Last night I was trying different settings for 4:3 broadcasts, pitting the cable box (8300HD DVR) against the Wega settings. When I had my cable box set to "sidebars" it put up some ugly gray bars and the picture looked poor.

The result was not a stretched 4:3, but rather a perfect 4:3 with black sidebars instead of gray... the picture was very clean and looked excellent all-around. I don't know why "Normal" on the WEGA would un-stretch the cable signal, but it WORKS and looks GREAT.

--Marcus

My cable box has settings that allow me to choose between light or dark where light means grey and dark means black. Try hitting the "settings" button twice to reach the menu for this.
post #558 of 2774 Old 01-22-2006, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickHDTV View Post

My cable box has settings that allow me to choose between light or dark where light means grey and dark means black. Try hitting the "settings" button twice to reach the menu for this.

It depends on the software on the cable box. The SA8300 most commonly comes loaded with either Passport software or another one (which I can't remember the name of). Passport does not give the option of black/gray bars, you are stuck with gray. The other software does give the option. It is up to the cable company you are with which version of the software comes loaded on the box. I am with Brighthouse in Central florida and unfortunately have Passport. I know other areas of Brighthouse in the country though who have the other software.
post #559 of 2774 Old 01-22-2006, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlai01 View Post

The highest resolution of my PC is 1024 X 768??? Don't know how I can set it to higher display rating.

What video card do you have?
post #560 of 2774 Old 01-22-2006, 07:34 AM

I was wondering if anyone has figured out a way to fill the screen using the PC input? I am able to get a perfect fill using HDMI, but end up with the 2" border on the PC input.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
post #561 of 2774 Old 01-22-2006, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smagz View Post

I was wondering if anyone has figured out a way to fill the screen using the PC input? I am able to get a perfect fill using HDMI, but end up with the 2" border on the PC input.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Have you tried adjusting the 'Display Area' setting under the 'Screen' settings menu. That is similar to an overscan adjustment, which should eliminate the borders.
post #562 of 2774 Old 01-22-2006, 02:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by Volblood:
How do I set up the DRC pallete of the component? Earlier I was watching basketball in standard (not hd) and there was two pixels at the top of the screen just staring at me. I switched some settings on my hd box and they went away. Would the signal have caused this

Don't know for sure but it is possible the cable signal was directly or indirectly responsible. As far as the DRC palette, if you leave your cable box set to upconvert to HD out, the palette won't be enabled for any signal. Set it for passthrough and you can access the DRC palette through the "settings" menu of the A10. Remember, if you are outputting a High def signal, the DRC palette will be greyed out. But switch to an SD channel on the box, and you can access the DRC. Set "reality" higher for a sharper more detailed image and "clarity" higher for a smoother image. The differences are subtle so play with them. I personally like a relatively low reality (in the 20's) and a high clarity (in the 90's). In fact, I liked this feature so much I used it on the input I used for DVD, turning off the progressive scan of the DVD since DRC palette is also disabled for progressive inputs.
post #563 of 2774 Old 01-22-2006, 04:51 PM

I don't have a 'Display Area' setting under the 'Screen' settings menu when I am on the PC input. I only have 'Wide Mode,' 'Auto Adjustment,' 'Phase,' 'Pitch,' 'Horizontal Center,' and 'Vertical Center.' Is there something I must do to enable this setting? I have the KDF-e50A10.

Thanks.
post #564 of 2774 Old 01-23-2006, 06:11 AM

Well,

Just to see for myself, I went ahead and exchanged my set for another one. The new set still has the faint blue glow in the upper left during dark/black scenes.

However, the size of the glow is about 33% that of the first set, so it's very much reduced, and much less distracting. And the other three corners have no trace of glow, while the first set did.

So I've decided to live with it-- the blue is markedly reduced and the set looks as fantastic as the other one so that's that.

--Marcus
post #565 of 2774 Old 01-23-2006, 07:39 AM

I just love this TV - 5 days old. I'm using an antenna (OTA) for HD and the Pitt vs Denver game was incredible. But the FOX game, Seatle vs Car was good but not as good. What I mean is this, the FXO logo, the line with the score, time, etc was not sharp, but sort of edgy?

I ran diagnostics and found that all my OTA signals are 95-98 % except for FOX, which is 81-84%. I would have thought that would be fine, and would not affect the letters on the score/time line.

Also, I'm using Darkrains HD settings without the red push fix (adding that tonight).

My understanding, was that OTA HD would either be there or not, and not affect PQ? Again, the players looked pretty good, and some words looked great (like the super-imposed 1st and 10 they place on the field once it a while).

Any OTA'ers out there have any comments?

Oh, I never watch hockey, but the flyers game on Sat afternoon (NBC I think) was unbelievable also!

Better is one day in your courts, better is one day in your house, better is one day in your courts, than thousands elsewhere....
post #566 of 2774 Old 01-23-2006, 08:28 AM

I discovered this forum last week and decided to register. Great information here. Thanks to all the guys that have posted info on tweaking out our T.V.s. My 42 had a great picture before but now I've got it looking even better
post #567 of 2774 Old 01-23-2006, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

I will be making some adjustments to my cable box picture settings over the next few days (or weeks). My first Motorola 6412 Phase II DVR box took a dump last week and I just got a brand new Phase III unit from my cable company this morning. The DVR in the old box started freezing randomly, making recorded programs unwatchable. I had it for 6 months and it wasn't new when I got it.

Anyway, the first thing I noticed with this new unit is it's much more responsive to the remote commands which is a good thing. The second thing I noticed is how much better the analog channels look. They still don't look as good as using the A10's analog tuner, but it's nice to see that Motorola have improved it. And finally I noticed that my SD digital channels are showing much less compression artifacts over the previous Phase II box. All in all I'm pretty impressed with the improvements in PQ. The tweaks needed look to be small and mainly centering on the DRC Palette for the SD digital channels. The current settings are making them look a bit too soft with this new cable box.
post #568 of 2774 Old 01-23-2006, 11:33 AM

I have enjoyed this thread and recently tweaked my settings. With regard to the red push fix, my default was 003C and I set it to 003B. Is this the same as 003b (lowercase "b") or is that a different setting?

I saw a huge difference in the picture after I tweaked, but I'm not sure how much I like it. I think I'm just used to the overly-bright displays. The "Standard" setting may be a compromise I can live with.
post #569 of 2774 Old 01-23-2006, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chump70 View Post

I have enjoyed this thread and recently tweaked my settings. With regard to the red push fix, my default was 003C and I set it to 003B. Is this the same as 003b (lowercase "b") or is that a different setting?

I saw a huge difference in the picture after I tweaked, but I'm not sure how much I like it. I think I'm just used to the overly-bright displays. The "Standard" setting may be a compromise I can live with.

003B is the same as 003b. Its just hexadecimal notation, which is not case-sensitive.
post #570 of 2774 Old 01-23-2006, 11:49 AM

Thanks. So I guess my settings are as was suggested. My picture looks fairly "real," and people aren't "sunburned" anymore, but I guess I've gotten use to the ultra-bright picture. I did turn my Iris up to 3 or 4.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page