DLP vs. LCD Bulb life - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-03-2005, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
ok I have narrowed my choice down to either rear projection LCD, or rear projection DLP. RPCRT is out of the question for urn in reasons(I do alot of games, and watch alot of SCi-fi). so Burn in scares me.

DLP I have read causes no burn in at all, but the only thing I am worried about is replacing the bulb.

Say I watch TV/play games for avg 12 hours a day(rough max estimate). How lnog would the bulb last me if I did this daily?

Also, is it only Samsung models with cause videogames synching errors?

Please let me know which I should opt for LCD, or DLP, which would have a longer bulb life?

Thanks Zero
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-03-2005, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't think any one bulb is likely to have a longer lifespan than any other. Probably a matter of luck more than anything else. Think "light bulb". two of the same: one may blow after a short period of time, another last much, much longer . Naturally, take a manufacturer's claims with a grain of salt. A good rule of thumb is to expect around 75% of what they claim as an average. I would expect to get from 4 to 6 thousand hours minimum on any of these sets. Most claim around 8,000 hours. Frequently turning a DLP or LCD RP on and off will cut into lamplife considerably. As far as gaming, any DLP or LCD RP except Samsung should be OK. They have known sync issues that have not improved with the latest models.
post #3 of 4 Old 09-03-2005, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

It's a crapshoot with either technology. There are many posts for short lamp life on both DLP and LCD. There are also a few encouraging posts from DLP & LCD owners who have surpassed most expectations (6-10k hours). I wouldn't give the lamp a second thought, in terms of making a choice between DLP or LCD. Just remember that these things are just basically light bulbs, and as such, can blow at any time.

Suburbia: where trees are cut down and streets are named after them.
Flickr photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nvsteve/sets/
post #4 of 4 Old 09-03-2005, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Right. The bulb issue is just a fact of life...the cost of doing business. It's more of an inconvenience if the bulb isn't readily available than the $200 it costs.

I can't imagine that the light engine technology would matter for bulb life, except that DLPs have moving parts, moving parts are difficult to do without some physical vibration, and vibration can shorten filament life, but then maybe it really can't. I would base my choice on the other factors other than bulb life.

I have a theory that if you have a Sony GW and use it only on "power save" mode which burns the lamp at 100w instead of its rated 132w, that this might extend bulb life significantly, or at least that's what I keep telling myself :D . I know dimming a conventional incandescent bulb can make it last a very long time, anyway, but I'm not sure that transfers to RP lamps. I'm 10+ months in at about 6+ hours a day, so I should have an answer to that at some point in the next few months (weeks...days). This also improves black response without sacrificing brightness. I assume that other vendors also have a similar feature.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
Closed Thread Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page