>>The Official Mitsubishi 1080p DLP Owners Thread<< - Page 145 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4321 of 5409 Old 01-05-2008, 12:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a 52628 set. Are you saying that it is a native 1080p set? And that everything I put in to it, it is upconverting to 1080p? A prior post talked about only the HDMI 2 being able to accept a full 1080p input. I have a PS3 with 1080p games that won't play at 1080p on my mits.

Thanks,

Kipp

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoombs View Post

On a native 1080p set, everything, no matter what input resolution sent to it, is displayed at 1080p. This is the case for all fixed-resolution units like DLP. If it receives a 1080p signal it does nothing, and any other resolution received it will up-convert to 1080p. When you state "best it ever says is 1080I"...that number is referring to the INPUT resolution.

If your model tv is capable of receiving a 1080p signal, and your source is outputting at 1080p (this is what I think you need to confirm) then you should see 1080p reported. For example, the highest res my HD-DVD player can output is 1080I, so that is what my TV reports, even though it is displaying in 1080p.

Mits 1080p DLP WD-52628
Mits WT-46809
Dish HD DVR 942
Sony DVP-NS70H
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4322 of 5409 Old 01-06-2008, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcasmo100 View Post

Update: The service person was here today. He confirmed it is another failed light engine. He said that he has not seen able to get new light engines for many months now and what he has seen happening is that Mitsubishi is replacing the sets with newer models.

I am to wait a few days to allow the paperwork on the service call to be processed and then call the service shop to learn what is going to happen. I am a little leery of what is going on here. I really hope I don't get ripped off on this deal and end up with an $8000 paperweight on which I still owe money.

I will post another update when I know more.

what ever happened ?
no posts in months

Have had my Mitsubishi WD-62827 DLP near 7 years now,new Lamp and a mirror & lens cleaning last year and she's like new again. sweet and she has over 27,000 hours now

post #4323 of 5409 Old 01-06-2008, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prozacpusher View Post

twelvepbrs, that's a pretty nifty idea, with a very high WAF (wife approval factor). She's all fired up to go back to bb/magnolia. Quick question guys, at which point did everyone else get these replacements from mitsu? In other words, at which point in the process did this become an option? After being "expidited" and being promised with a 2 week window? Or after multilple engine replacements?

Oh and we already fired off a complaint to the bbb BEFORE I found out that Mitsu extended the warranty...

ahh the joys of toys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prozacpusher View Post

Well you could add me to the list of "Disgruntled Mitsu Owners", where do I begin?

Back in October, the screen started to get all corrupted (like looking at a negative). Called Magnolia they sent out a tech about two weeks later during the first week of november. Diagnosed the problem as an optical engine failure and consequently ordered the part the following day. After periodic calls to repair facility on part status they told me there was no ETA on the engine.

In December I contacted Magnolia again to find out what else can be done, they apologized and offered to put in for a replacement since I've been down for over a month and a half with no release on this mythical part. That was on 12/6/07. Per them, it should be approved in 3-5 business days. I call back in a week and a half and they are still working on the approval, this time it gets expadited, which supposedly translates to 1-2 business days. In reality it erased the initial request, sending us back to square one. Now I'm in January, best buy still hasn't called me back on anything. I come to find out via this wonderful board, that Mitsu has extended the warranty on my tv (WD73-727) antother 2 years so now I'm back to Mitsu for the replacement. Upon calling them, (a truely fruitless/frustrating expierence) they are unable to locate the inital order made by the repair company back in November, and since I never called to complain to Mitsu they never expidited the request for the part that's on backorder. Now according to Mitsu, they will "expadite" the part request and will become available within two weeks, and my TV should be up and running.

Of course this is all theorhetical, since the only consistant event occuring is the paying of my cable company for the last 3 months sans a HDTV...please advise on my next step...I already measured the TV and it will fit in the wife's truck. Do I wait the two weeks and await their inevitable answer of it still being on backorder?

sorry for such a long post, especially since its my first one...but i'm sure everyone will understand.

ugh.

The "mythical" light engine. I like that. I teach mythology and will have to add Mitsubishi to my Greek and Norse mythology program. With regard to your post below, I have been waiting for the mythical light engine for two months. Expedite means nothing. Mitsubishi got a some people from their service line together, taught them how to say "expedite" and told them silly Americans will be satisfied if they hear that word. I think one guy back in this post somewhere actually got a light engine replaced and it went out again within a couple of weeks.

If it fits in the truck you might put a big red sticker dot in the center and use it for target practice (or try taking it to BB/Magnolia and setting it in front of the door so it blocks the entry).

Who are you talking to at Magnolia?

Curt
post #4324 of 5409 Old 01-06-2008, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipp K. View Post

I have a 52628 set. Are you saying that it is a native 1080p set?

Yes it is.

Quote:

And that everything I put in to it, it is upconverting to 1080p?

Yes it does.

Quote:

A prior post talked about only the HDMI 2 being able to accept a full 1080p input. I have a PS3 with 1080p games that won't play at 1080p on my mits.

Again "displaying at", and "accepting a given input resolution" are two differnt things. A native 1080p set will display everything at its native resolution. Your particular model is limited to 1080i input on HDMI (other than the HDMI 2 tricks you reference), which is then deinterlaced to 1080p for display.
post #4325 of 5409 Old 01-06-2008, 11:08 AM

Happy New Year to all! New to AVS Forum, hoping someone can help.

Just got the WD-73833 - using primarily with my HD Direct TV - so far all is well with everything with one exception - While we're watching live NFL football playoffs yesterday we continued getting lots of pixelation with fast motion. This does not happen anywhere else but live sports action. In fact if watching the movie Invincible (has football action) or any other movie on Direct TV I don't the pixelation. I have the 120Hz on.

Curious if anyone can tell me if this might be the TV or could it be Direct TV? Anyone else experience this? Thank you in advance for your input!
post #4326 of 5409 Old 01-06-2008, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_gwin View Post

Just got the WD-73833 - using primarily with my HD Direct TV - so far all is well with everything with one exception - While we're watching live NFL football playoffs yesterday we continued getting lots of pixelation with fast motion. This does not happen anywhere else but live sports action. In fact if watching the movie Invincible (has football action) or any other movie on Direct TV I don't the pixelation. I have the 120Hz on.

Curious if anyone can tell me if this might be the TV or could it be Direct TV? Anyone else experience this? Thank you in advance for your input!

Ignore It, As I've seen It too and I don't have Direct TV, I have Dish Network and the NFL HD channel and have seen It sometimes, It's Your signal strength really or the lack sometimes, I have a WD-57731 of course.
post #4327 of 5409 Old 01-06-2008, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_gwin View Post

I have the 62627 see it on DISH too, but not on live feed direct from my antenna. I think the compressing & decompressing of the satellite signal probably causes it. That's why I chose to put an OTA antenna in my attic & watch local channels direct. They also look a lot better than DISH HD.
post #4328 of 5409 Old 01-08-2008, 02:21 PM

problem with hdmi hook up

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys

This is my first post here I hope you can help me. I have a 65731 which I love except for one problem. I use hdmi to connect my hd cable dvr which I set to let the TV do the upconverting. The problem is when it switches between HD and SD when I change channels instead of no sound for a few seconds it always has static which is very annoying. It also seems to hang up with a black screen sometimes and I have to change back and forth untill it locks in. If I switch to componet hookup it works fine but I would rather use the hdmi. Has anyone had this problem and know a fix for it.
post #4329 of 5409 Old 01-08-2008, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by railmanm View Post

This is my first post here I hope you can help me. I have a 65731 which I love except for one problem. I use hdmi to connect my hd cable dvr which I set to let the TV do the upconverting. The problem is when it switches between HD and SD when I change channels instead of no sound for a few seconds it always has static which is very annoying. It also seems to hang up with a black screen sometimes and I have to change back and forth untill it locks in. If I switch to componet hookup it works fine but I would rather use the hdmi. Has anyone had this problem and know a fix for it.

It sounds like your TV switching between input resolutions is causing some hiccups. Although some people might disagree with this solution, I have set my D* box to only output 1080i, this way I don't have to suffer through TV input resolution changes (had my cable set-top-box set the same way). If you're willing to try this just look through the menu's on your DVR and try to set it so that it only outputs 1080i, see how you like it...
post #4330 of 5409 Old 01-09-2008, 09:28 AM

So I picked got my WD-65733 yesterday and spent most of the day messing with the settings, calibrating it and hooking up my home theater... so far its pretty nice but I CANT get the picture to really stand out (I am upgrading from a 37" LCD.... I thought it would be a significant difference)... but my question for you guys is I bought the tv from Fry's Electronics and did not get the Extended Warranty (I have 30 days) because I was set on just going with the MACK warranty we are offered here on the board... when I mentioned this too him, he said that they are the worst warranties you can get! I assumed that he was just pissed I wasn't spending more money but he then said even if you don't get a warranty from us (Fry's), dont go with an online one... so I was curious if you guys had an suggestions or ideas of which I should go with? Any personal experiences with the two?

I am officially seeing Purple
post #4331 of 5409 Old 01-09-2008, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianscloset View Post

... but my question for you guys is I bought the tv from Fry's Electronics and did not get the Extended Warranty (I have 30 days) because I was set on just going with the MACK warranty we are offered here on the board... when I mentioned this too him, he said that they are the worst warranties you can get! I assumed that he was just pissed I wasn't spending more money but he then said even if you don't get a warranty from us (Fry's), dont go with an online one... so I was curious if you guys had an suggestions or ideas of which I should go with? Any personal experiences with the two?

I would trust my fellow AVS'ers (who seemed please enough with MACK) over a Frey's sales schmuck any day (and twice on Sunday).

the sticky is about my crappy blues pickin'...
post #4332 of 5409 Old 01-09-2008, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianscloset View Post

So I picked got my WD-65733 yesterday and spent most of the day messing with the settings, calibrating it and hooking up my home theater... so far its pretty nice but I CANT get the picture to really stand out (I am upgrading from a 37" LCD.... I thought it would be a significant difference)... but my question for you guys is I bought the tv from Fry's Electronics and did not get the Extended Warranty (I have 30 days) because I was set on just going with the MACK warranty we are offered here on the board... when I mentioned this too him, he said that they are the worst warranties you can get! I assumed that he was just pissed I wasn't spending more money but he then said even if you don't get a warranty from us (Fry's), dont go with an online one... so I was curious if you guys had an suggestions or ideas of which I should go with? Any personal experiences with the two?

Hmm - first off, I'm wondering why you bought the XX733 model and not the XX833 when some people have had serious problems with the XX733 series.
Secondly, for a great thread to help calibrate ..
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=899744
near the last pages someone re-posted a great calibration list that I used to help initially set up my 73833.

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

post #4333 of 5409 Old 01-09-2008, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
anyone have any pros/cons about using a 4 port HDMI switch connected to an Onkyo TXSR605 to a Mits TV?

Have a 360 Elite, PS3 and a Canon HV20 camcorder connected to the switch which is then connected to the Onkyo. I will hookup my DVI cable box to other HDMI port.

I am going to return my Toshiba HM116 to Costco today (since lamp blew out at under 1200 hours on a 17 month old TV ) and pickup the WDC657.

TIA...
post #4334 of 5409 Old 01-09-2008, 07:38 PM

WD-65731 owner: DCT-6416 on HDMI-1 & Input-1 S-Video+LR (for use with SPLIT)
----------------- DCT-3416 on HDMI-2 & Input-2 S-Video+LR (for use with SPLIT)
----------------- TWC Cablecard on CABLE-1 input ($0.00 / month)
Had WD-52631 but wanted CableCard. Should have held out for NetCommand model.
Mits analog audio out to AVR (no SPDIF inputs). Aside from looong switching times between INPUT sources, & only long DCT channel change times, I have heard no noisy audio artifacts. Do you use SPDIF audio?
--
Looking for info on using firmware upgrades from NetCommand equipped sets on NON NetCommand equipped sets.
post #4335 of 5409 Old 01-10-2008, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacejamz View Post

anyone have any pros/cons about using a 4 port HDMI switch connected to an Onkyo TXSR605 to a Mits TV?

Have a 360 Elite, PS3 and a Canon HV20 camcorder connected to the switch which is then connected to the Onkyo. I will hookup my DVI cable box to other HDMI port.

I am going to return my Toshiba HM116 to Costco today (since lamp blew out at under 1200 hours on a 17 month old TV ) and pickup the WDC657.

TIA...

I have the Onkyo TX-NR905 and use the new Gefen 1.3 4 port HDMI switch connected to my Mitsubishi WD62628 without any HDMI handshake issues. The cheapest place I found it at is RAM.
post #4336 of 5409 Old 01-11-2008, 06:56 AM

Last night the lamp or light engine blew on my WD-52631. The set is only 14 months old. I've already been through the pain of the thermal sensor fiasco and now this.

I've owned 4 Mitsubishi/MGA TVs over the last 30 years and this one TV has had more problems than all the others combined. In fact, we still use two of the TVs, a 26" Mits from 1989 and a 20 MGA from 1980! The 20" has gone quite purple but still works.

If I could return the thing I would. I'm just thankful that I bought the extended warranty against the advice of almost everyone.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Thos that understand binary and those that don't.
post #4337 of 5409 Old 01-11-2008, 10:52 AM

Thanks stickyfingers, I will got with the Mack warranty... I figured that was the best way to go (both by price and offers) but just needed to be sure....

As for Wryker, I picked up the WD-65733 model because I got a REALLY good deal on it... I am loving it so far, just the picture is still not AMAZING!!! I used some settings/ advice on this board and it looks a LOT better then it did... I am just coming from a 37" LCD so maybe it doesn't look that amazing because I am not used to DLP tvs...

post #4338 of 5409 Old 01-11-2008, 11:10 AM

Rather then read through 150+ posts, I'll just post what I've learned in the last couple of days.

Jan 8th when I got back from Vacation I turned on the tv and 1 hour later I had a solarized picture and smurf people. I found on Mitsu site that they have extended the warranty 2 additional years for my model and other produced in 05 and 06 (Mine was manufactured on 1/2006) for an Optical Engine problem. After some research and finding a you tube video of what mine was doing I'm 99% I have this issue. I called Sound Advice about it and they wanted $95 to come look at it and $120 each way to repair it plus parts and labor. I called Mitsu and they said I had to have a service center look at it. I argued with them that I shouldn't have to pay for service if it's going to be a warranty item. They said they would not pay me for the service call. Finally they agreed to call the service center them self and authorize them to come check it out, which I'm waiting for a call from the service center to schedule an appointment.

I purchased the TV from Sound Advice 4/25/2006 and this started happening 1/08/2008. From what I understand because the parts are hard to get because they are so backordered Mitsu is even replacing the TV with a new equal model for some consumers.
post #4339 of 5409 Old 01-12-2008, 10:27 AM

how do you like the 73 in mitsu?
post #4340 of 5409 Old 01-13-2008, 09:53 PM

Hey everybody... I have been messing with my WD-65733's settings for awhile now and decided maybe its time to just hire a professional calibrator. I purchased the tv at Fry's Electronics and I am sure they have one but I am also sure they charge more then they should... does anyone here know of a place that I can get one from?

post #4341 of 5409 Old 01-14-2008, 08:48 AM

Hey Everyone, I just wanted to throw this out there and see if anyone else has the same problems (and maybe fixes) that I have. I love the picture on my 73 incher , but I had the "brains" replaced twice because of sound and no picture, anyone else had that problem? Also, the TV GUIDE function does not work at all. I run a CableCard and have all the NetCommand settings correct (I think), but it never updates and I get no guide (wife is not happy to say the least). Lastly, when I am watching a non-HD program and I have the black side bars that run vertically on each side of the picture, and it looks like an hourglass (pincushion?), I started having that after I hooked up my laptop to the TV via the HDMI-2 and was messing around with the display. The "automatic" setting did not remedy the problem.... HELP!!!!

Livin' Large with my 73 incher !!!
post #4342 of 5409 Old 01-16-2008, 03:31 PM

Hey guys

I have a mitsu 65731 and was wondering if anyone Knows if they released any firmware updates for the set and will mitsu send them if requested? The version on my set is v33 008.00

Gary
post #4343 of 5409 Old 01-16-2008, 03:40 PM

Quote:

Hey guys

I have a mitsu 65731 and was wondering if anyone Knows if they released any firmware updates for the set and will mitsu send them if requested? The version on my set is v33 008.00

Gary

Probably not, My 57731 has the same firmware. Besides how would the firmware get loaded in there?
post #4344 of 5409 Old 01-16-2008, 03:55 PM

Not totally sure I guess it would have to be done through service port on back of set. If thats the case I guess a tech would have to do it
post #4345 of 5409 Old 01-16-2008, 04:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Not totally sure I guess it would have to be done through service port on back of set. If thats the case I guess a tech would have to do it

Some of the sets have a slot for a memory card, this is how the firmware update for my 62627 was done
post #4346 of 5409 Old 01-16-2008, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvepbrs View Post

Some of the sets have a slot for a memory card, this is how the firmware update for my 62627 was done

Then I'm set, Of course being the set is over a year old, No warranty on the TV.
post #4347 of 5409 Old 01-16-2008, 05:43 PM

Quote:

I have had my set since 12/2005 & have not seen a firmware update for my 62627. Where is it on the website - all I see under the 62627 is owners manual, specs & drawings. What did the update correct?
post #4348 of 5409 Old 01-16-2008, 08:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texrb View Post

I have had my set since 12/2005 & have not seen a firmware update for my 62627. Where is it on the website - all I see under the 62627 is owners manual, specs & drawings. What did the update correct?

I don't think it's on the website, I had to call mitsu and make up some problems to get them to send me the update. The version I currently have is V30 007.03
post #4349 of 5409 Old 01-16-2008, 08:14 PM

Quote:

I don't think it's on the website, I had to call mitsu and make up some problems to get them to send me the update. The version I currently have is V30 007.03

Ok thank you. I will call them - I am not sure what ver I have, but it would be the one it shipped with in 12/2005
post #4350 of 5409 Old 01-16-2008, 11:55 PM

I have a Mits WD-52631 that I bought Thanksgiving 06 - about 14 months ago. I had the thermal sensor issue that many did. Last Thursday we were watching Grey's Anatomy when the TV went 'POP!' and the screen went black. Fortunately, when the service tech was out fixing the thermal sensor, he mentioned that they were so busy with service calls with all the new types of tech TVs. I guess every format has its issues. Anyway, I went to Circuit City and got them to sell me the extended warranty in March of 07, almost 4 months after the purchase. It was pricey compared to Mack, but last Thursday I was glad to have it.

Anyway, I was supposed to have the tech out today. Circuit City called this morning and said the tech was out sick. No more appointments were avalable until next Wednesday. The guy I talked to asked me the problem with the TV. I told him about the POP. He asked me if anyone had done triage (yes, that's right) with me over the phone. Well of course they hadn't. He conferenced in Mits on the phone. The Mits guy had me hold the Input and Menu buttons down for 5 seconds, then watch the timer light. The pattern indicated I did indeed have a blown lamp. He then asked if I was comfortable installing the lamp myself. Sure, easy. He then said he would overnight a new lamp tomorrow from Georgia.

I find the whole thing amazing. If the tech ahd come out, he would have had to order a new bulb which could take 7-10 business days. I got the feeling that Mits is doing whatever they can to keep people happy. Their DLPs are getting a bad rap - and maybe justifiably so. Still, they are keeping me happy.

All in all I'll probably never buy another rear projection again.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Thos that understand binary and those that don't.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page