Official 2005 Sony KDSR-50/60XBR1 SXRD Owner's Thread - Page 187 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #5581 of 23994 Old 01-12-2006, 07:20 PM
Member
 
openhelix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ_Rage View Post

Has anyone noticed discolorations in the "black" when the screen is "black" (ie movie credits, or an input you have nothing going to).

Last night, the set had been on for a few hours, and I notice that in totally black screens, the bottom left corner faded noticeably to green and the bottom right corner faded noticeably to blue. Now I have only calibrated via settings on here, but I am waiting for Avia in the mail and possibly ISF in the future, but has anyone seen this? The upper corners are fine. It reminded me of something that speakers could do, I could have sworn that my Klipsh KSF 8.5s are shielded, but maybe they did this (they are on the sides, pretty much right next to the set's speakers). I moved one away on the left, but the green made no change. If I get at the right angle, I can't see it anymore, but from straight on, I see it, and quite frankly it was pretty annoying. I can't notice it at all on regular pictures, or on the snow scenes (press ANT with no antenna), so I'm not THAT worried about it. I have to check today if it is present during warmup or anything.

I MIGHT have a green blob on startup, but I honestly haven't had time to check for it. By the time I can get to a scene to look for it, everything looks fine. If there is any discoloration it is during the period when the TV is warming up and ISN'T EVEN SHOWING A BRIGHT ENOUGH PICTURE TO WATCH YET!!! If this is the period which you guys are saying you want to have no green blob, then you are simply crazy. Give me a break. It is easy to tell when the TV is warmed up and per my eyes on regular picture, regular picture in b/w, and ANT snow, I see no blob after the 2-3 minutes warmup period. During the warmup period you can't even watch if you wanted to, it is dark and stuff.

The blacks being weird after several hours of use is weird though. I believe this discoloration is not time related, either.

As far as black levels go, my settings may not be optimal, and I certainly have no expertise in this area or anything to base it on, but on a true black screen (like movie credits), the blacks are far from "tv off black." This is not to say they don't look great (other than my discolored corners). Compared to my LCD computer monitor they are AT LEAST twice as black, but still, in a dark dark room, very noticebale that the screen is on in the black areas. About what I expected, and by far, acceptable.

I think I finally saw SSE last night also. It is super noticeable on bright scenes, once you know what you are looking for (and I think what I'm seeing is SSE). It appears as if the screen has a thin layer of "finger print" on it, such that, when the bright light comes through the screen to your eyes, you see a shimmering affect. It is comparable (to me) to how bright light comes through a finger print on a CRT, but to a little lesser degree. It doesn't take away from the set at all, IMO, though. I have to refocus my eyes just to see it. I rarely can notice it when not looking specifically for it.

Anyway, does anyone have some coloring in the corners of a black screen? On my 60" version, the fade ends at about 8-9" on the bottom left corner (circular fall off). And about 10" of blue on the bottom right. It is pretty subtle (i.e. non-videophiles would most likely NEVER notice it unless I pointed it out), but, unfortunately, I have been reading here too much and picking this TV apart. It is more of a "hint of green" and a "hint of blue" that aren't noticeable on other areas of the black screen...

Just FWIW, your Klipsch speakers are NOT shielded. I have the KSF 10.5s as my rear speakers.
openhelix is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #5582 of 23994 Old 01-12-2006, 07:46 PM
Newbie
 
jad3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by openhelix View Post

Just FWIW, your Klipsch speakers are NOT shielded. I have the KSF 10.5s as my rear speakers.


That spawns an interesting thought...my understanding was the issue with unshielded speakers was electron diffraction from the magnetic force causing the color issues...could it really happen with the SXRD?
jad3 is offline  
post #5583 of 23994 Old 01-12-2006, 08:33 PM
Senior Member
 
hozho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 307
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad3 View Post

That spawns an interesting thought...my understanding was the issue with unshielded speakers was electron diffraction from the magnetic force causing the color issues...could it really happen with the SXRD?

No.
hozho is offline  
post #5584 of 23994 Old 01-12-2006, 10:42 PM
 
NathanC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 469
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I saw the 50 inch set today at circuit city, and even in that horribly bright showroom next to rows and rows of >50" plasmas, it had the best picture i've ever seen. With that said, what's the chance of a price drop a month or two from now? If so, what would your estimated guess be of the 50" set's MSRP? $3499? Just trying to plan out the next couple months, obviously no one has an exact anwser, heh. Thanks.
NathanC is offline  
post #5585 of 23994 Old 01-12-2006, 11:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
kucharsk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 3,939
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ_Rage View Post

Imagine if everything was like this?? You go to buy your brand new benz, only to take delivery and find that your cream-white leather has a huge stain on the rear floormat? Now, the rear floor-mat, should you really be mad? HELL YEAH YOU SHOULD, when you pay for a great BRAND NEW car you shouldn't have to wonder what crazy problems you'll find in the first few months!!

Uh, have you actually purchased a high end vehicle?

Let's see:

* Porsche "996" 911s and Boxsters have suffered numerous rear main seal oil leaks; currently Porsche is on its fourth or fifth rear main seal redesign.

* BMW M3s with the M46 engine have became notorious for connecting rod failures; BMW blamed owners for causing the failures by over-revving the engines until cars with SMG transmissions, with which it's impossible to cause an overrev, started having their engines fail.

* The Mercedes E Class was subject to numerous recalls in its first year.

* Cadillac CTS-V cars have a problem with severe wheel hop due to the design of the drivetrain, and the rear tires often need to be replaced every 5,000 miles .

* The Ford GT sports car ($150K MSRP) was subject to several recalls, including one "do not drive your car under any circumstances until it has been inspected" recall.

There are more examples I could give, but the bottom line is that high-tech designs can be touchy, but if you wanted to impose zero-defect quality control, MSRP would easily be double what it is just due to labor costs.

I don't mean to excuse Sony for their QC issues, but given how impossible it always used to be to find a CRT TV with no geometry issues, I'm not surprised to read of issues with these SXRD sets. Now the big question is how Sony handles the issues, and they seem to have been pretty good in doing whatever they can, from replacing parts to swapping out sets.

Yes, it's frustrating, I realize, but it's the best that can be done in the consumer marketplace.
kucharsk is offline  
post #5586 of 23994 Old 01-13-2006, 04:12 AM
AVS Special Member
 
PJ_Rage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 4,388
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post

Uh, have you actually purchased a high end vehicle?

Let's see:

* Porsche "996" 911s and Boxsters have suffered numerous rear main seal oil leaks; currently Porsche is on its fourth or fifth rear main seal redesign.

* BMW M3s with the M46 engine have became notorious for connecting rod failures; BMW blamed owners for causing the failures by over-revving the engines until cars with SMG transmissions, with which it's impossible to cause an overrev, started having their engines fail.

* The Mercedes E Class was subject to numerous recalls in its first year.

* Cadillac CTS-V cars have a problem with severe wheel hop due to the design of the drivetrain, and the rear tires often need to be replaced every 5,000 miles .

* The Ford GT sports car ($150K MSRP) was subject to several recalls, including one "do not drive your car under any circumstances until it has been inspected" recall.

There are more examples I could give, but the bottom line is that high-tech designs can be touchy, but if you wanted to impose zero-defect quality control, MSRP would easily be double what it is just due to labor costs.

I don't mean to excuse Sony for their QC issues, but given how impossible it always used to be to find a CRT TV with no geometry issues, I'm not surprised to read of issues with these SXRD sets. Now the big question is how Sony handles the issues, and they seem to have been pretty good in doing whatever they can, from replacing parts to swapping out sets.

Yes, it's frustrating, I realize, but it's the best that can be done in the consumer marketplace.

At least they have recalls. Admitting that there is a problem with nearly ALL of that particular model.

And on to my point. Are you saying that if your rear main seal goes on your porsche you should just quietly have it repaired and say "welp, that's porsche for ya!" I personally beileve you have the right to bitch and complain to porsche, without people telling you that you are nit picky and an a-hole for doing so.

SXRD/Oppo/Yamaha/Klipsch
PS3/PSN: pj_rage
360/Live: pjrage82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekwan
Dude please, your list of toys is so long its like Santa is your dad lol.
PJ_Rage is offline  
post #5587 of 23994 Old 01-13-2006, 06:05 AM
Senior Member
 
john18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 331
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Ironshirt View Post

I don't live close to any big name B&M stores, the closest is about 90 miles one way.
Thanks

Jake, can I guess you live in Prescott or Cottonwood? Jerry's Audio & Video is an authorized seller here in Phoenix. They were absolutely wonderful to me, but I don't know what their delivery range is. They do price match local retailers and I did pay extra for a professional installation and integration of the TV into the rest of the system. They did a very nice job.

PM me if you have any questions that you don't want to post here.

John
john18 is offline  
post #5588 of 23994 Old 01-13-2006, 06:44 AM
Member
 
NatasNJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 181
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can anyone shed light to these SXRD price drops?
New MSRP? Or what should I expect?
NatasNJ is offline  
post #5589 of 23994 Old 01-13-2006, 06:48 AM
Senior Member
 
john18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 331
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel View Post

I love my 60" SXRD. I find myself tuning in HD channels and just watching it for hours, no matter whats on. (Lousy movies on HDNET, watching paint dry in Discovery HD, etc.) It's mesmerizing how good it looks.

I know the feeling. The Sci-Def week space stuff was awesome, especially the Return to Flight and the show with the Mars Rovers and other probes. This TV is awesome and the HD just blows my wife and I away. I also catch myself watching Sunrise Earth from my HD-DVR nearly every day.
john18 is offline  
post #5590 of 23994 Old 01-13-2006, 06:50 AM
Senior Member
 
john18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 331
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanC View Post

I saw the 50 inch set today at circuit city, and even in that horribly bright showroom next to rows and rows of >50" plasmas, it had the best picture i've ever seen. With that said, what's the chance of a price drop a month or two from now? If so, what would your estimated guess be of the 50" set's MSRP? $3499? Just trying to plan out the next couple months, obviously no one has an exact anwser, heh. Thanks.

I got mine on a price match to CC for $3599 just after Thanksgiving. The prices have not been that low since, but I would expect a price drop sometime after the Super Bowl.
john18 is offline  
post #5591 of 23994 Old 01-13-2006, 07:22 AM
Newbie
 
njvroc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by john18 View Post

I got mine on a price match to CC for $3599 just after Thanksgiving. The prices have not been that low since, but I would expect a price drop sometime after the Super Bowl.

I bought mine from an Internet supplier (based in NYC) in December and at that time it was someting like $2879.00. I paid for curb shipping but they wound up delivering with 2 men, indoor white glove type service for a total under $3100.
This price is still valid at many on-line sellers and the warranty is from Sony, so WHY PAY MORE? Yes, I've got the green glob too and it disappears about 80-90% after about a 10 minute warm up and it disappears about 98% after about 1 hour and thus far it is livable. I just wish (in hindsight) that I bought the 60" set instead which is about $500 more from the same place.
njvroc is offline  
post #5592 of 23994 Old 01-13-2006, 07:32 AM
Senior Member
 
uhphikap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: in a van down by the river
Posts: 352
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
KDSR50XBR1 Old MSRP - $4199
KDSR50XBR1 New MSRP - $3699

KDSR60XBR1 Old MSRP - $5199
KDSR60XBR1 New MSRP - $4699

There has also been a price reduction in dealer cost (not $500 of course like the MSRP), and therefore, should result in lower prices (almost) everywhere.
uhphikap is offline  
post #5593 of 23994 Old 01-13-2006, 07:36 AM
Member
 
NatasNJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 181
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wasn't the old MSRP $4999 & $3999?
NatasNJ is offline  
post #5594 of 23994 Old 01-13-2006, 07:44 AM
Senior Member
 
uhphikap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: in a van down by the river
Posts: 352
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quite possibly....I am referring to Nov 1, 2005 MSRP. If there was a change in December, I am not aware of it.
uhphikap is offline  
post #5595 of 23994 Old 01-13-2006, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Big J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,954
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatasNJ View Post

Wasn't the old MSRP $4999 & $3999?

Yes
J
Big J is offline  
post #5596 of 23994 Old 01-13-2006, 08:01 AM
Senior Member
 
JosephD05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 314
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What kind of deinterlacer does the SXRD have? Bob, weave, motion adaptive, etc> ??

Xbox tag: JosephD05
PS3: JD05
JosephD05 is offline  
post #5597 of 23994 Old 01-13-2006, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
c.kingsley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,664
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephD05 View Post

What kind of deinterlacer does the SXRD have? Bob, weave, motion adaptive, etc> ??

Motion adaptive for video, and 3:2 pulldown for film. This is if you use the Cinemotion setting in Pro mode. It's been discussed in the SXRD bob and weave thread and owners and tweaks thread, I believe.

And the MSRP has been $4999 for the 60" and $3999 for the 50" since day 1. It might have changed to a lower number, but it has never been higher than that.
c.kingsley is offline  
post #5598 of 23994 Old 01-13-2006, 08:11 AM
Senior Member
 
jimed1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Fayetteville, Tennessee
Posts: 276
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhphikap View Post

KDSR50XBR1 Old MSRP - $4199
KDSR50XBR1 New MSRP - $3699

KDSR60XBR1 Old MSRP - $5199
KDSR60XBR1 New MSRP - $4699

There has also been a price reduction in dealer cost (not $500 of course like the MSRP), and therefore, should result in lower prices (almost) everywhere.

That's good news!! I got mine at a local store the day after Thanksgiving for $3499, and that was the price marked on the set when I walked in. This store has a 60 day price guarantee. I was in the store last week and they are still selling it for that. Maybe they will lower their price another $500. If they lower their price within the next couple of weeks I get the difference back cool!!!!!!!!

Jim Ed
jimed1 is offline  
post #5599 of 23994 Old 01-13-2006, 08:13 AM
Senior Member
 
JosephD05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 314
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.kingsley View Post

Motion adaptive for video, and 3:2 pulldown for film. This is if you use the Cinemotion setting in Pro mode. It's been discussed in the SXRD bob and weave thread and owners and tweaks thread, I believe.

And the MSRP has been $4999 for the 60" and $3999 for the 50" since day 1. It might have changed to a lower number, but it has never been higher than that.

How does this compare what the other TVs in the same price range use, such as the JVC or HP sets?

Xbox tag: JosephD05
PS3: JD05
JosephD05 is offline  
post #5600 of 23994 Old 01-13-2006, 08:19 AM
 
jjsmithin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 232
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhphikap View Post

KDSR50XBR1 Old MSRP - $4199
KDSR50XBR1 New MSRP - $3699

KDSR60XBR1 Old MSRP - $5199
KDSR60XBR1 New MSRP - $4699

There has also been a price reduction in dealer cost (not $500 of course like the MSRP), and therefore, should result in lower prices (almost) everywhere.

even with the reduced pricing it would be difficult to justify the price give the green glob probem that is so prevalent in the SXRD. Not to mention the aethesics and functional complications of the dumbo ears.
jjsmithin is offline  
post #5601 of 23994 Old 01-13-2006, 08:21 AM
Member
 
NatasNJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 181
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
lol.... I love jjsmithin.. His comments are classic...
NatasNJ is offline  
post #5602 of 23994 Old 01-13-2006, 08:38 AM
Senior Member
 
jimed1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Fayetteville, Tennessee
Posts: 276
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatasNJ View Post

lol.... I love jjsmithin.. His comments are classic...

Worst case of SXRD envy I've ever seen... Geeeeeeeez
He absolutely doen't want anyone to buy one of these.
I think he works for Samsung or TI, maybe JVC or a plasma mfr.
That's the only way to explain why he cares so much to consistently post negative. Of course, he could just be retarded.......or lonely..

Jim Ed
jimed1 is offline  
post #5603 of 23994 Old 01-13-2006, 08:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
videobruce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Buffalo NY
Posts: 15,115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 143
All you veteran Microdisplay owners, please vote on lamp life here;

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=629175

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
videobruce is online now  
post #5604 of 23994 Old 01-13-2006, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
maximum360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 1,883
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Update on my current situation...


To: Mr. XXXXX XXXXXX



Case: XXXXXX.

Dear XXXX XXXXXX:

The Better Business Bureau has presented your complaint to Sony Corporation of America in an attempt to resolve this matter to your mutual satisfaction. As a result of these efforts, Sony Corporation of America has agreed to the following resolution:

In a response from XXXX XXXXXX, National Customer Relations, we have been informed: At the time Mr. XXXXXXX's Better Business Bureau complaint was received, Sony had already shipped a new KDSR60XBR1, Grand Wega Television to replace his original KDSR60XBR1. After the new television was delivered, Sony contacted Mr. XXXXXXXX to request the serial number of the new unit and to advise him that Sony is granting a three (3) month extension of warranty (through 1/7/2007) beyond the original Limited Warranty period. Mr. XXXXXXX stated that the new television also has a color distortion issue with the picture, similar to the complaint that he'd originally had on the original television.

Sony is in the process of dispatching a technician from one of our Authorized Service Centers to examine the new unit and repair the new unit if deemed necessary, as per the terms of the Limited Warranty (enclosed).


To help us ensure that we have closed this matter accurately, please reply to this e-mail, noting the specified outcome. In particular, please note if this business has complied with the terms of this understanding. Your comments are most welcome also. Our e-mail address is inquiry@newyork.bbb.org.

Thank you for giving the Better Business Bureau this opportunity to assist you. We hope we were helpful.


Sincerely,
XXXXXX XXXXXX
BBB Serving Metropolitan New York


I'm quite sure that the service center I previously used won't even try to mess with this (nor would I want them to). I believe Meyer Emco has a service center. I guess I'll try them next time.

Rinse, repeat....

"Guns? Guns are easy."
maximum360 is offline  
post #5605 of 23994 Old 01-13-2006, 08:57 AM
Senior Member
 
Codeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 213
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsmithin View Post

even with the reduced pricing it would be difficult to justify the price give the green glob probem that is so prevalent in the SXRD. Not to mention the aethesics and functional complications of the dumbo ears.

Sorry, but I bought at full MSRP, discovered I have no visible color issues even in a completely dark room, then got $440 back due to a CC sale price a few weeks after I bought it. And, although I'd prefer no speakers at all, I don't mind the design.

Since you obviously have problems with these SXRD's, why don't you just leave the Owner's thread alone. You're involvement here serves no purpose except to interject asinine minutiae into an otherwise useful thread.
Codeman is offline  
post #5606 of 23994 Old 01-13-2006, 09:07 AM
Member
 
rerun712's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Little Ferry, NJ
Posts: 62
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codeman View Post

You're involvement here serves no purpose except to interject asinine minutiae into an otherwise useful thread.

Sure it does..he is providing useful information like the following:

"With the imminent transition to pure HDTV broadcase in 2008 and even the law preventing sales of non HDTV in 2007, the prices will only begin to plumet. "

rerun712 is offline  
post #5607 of 23994 Old 01-13-2006, 10:45 AM
Member
 
Codger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: La Verne, CA
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I came into some unexpected funds and decided to upgrade my 3-year old CRT HDTV. After quite a bit of research on the AVS forums and in stores I bought a 50XBR1 in 12/05 ($3499 no tax, free delivery from local dealer), I'm amazed by the PQ of this set for both OTA HDTV (internal tuner) and DVD via my Denon 1600. DVDs look almost HDTV-like and the detail in shows like HD-CSI is unbelievable. I thought my prior CRT HDTV was impressive, but wow. The one area I'm not happy with is the Wide-Zoom 4:3 image stretch mode, it's inferior to the Toshiba's Theaterwide 1 which was quite usable for non-widescreen DVDs. Other than that, I couldn't be happier so far. Oh, and I also like the speaker wing look...
LL
Codger is offline  
post #5608 of 23994 Old 01-13-2006, 11:07 AM
Member
 
NatasNJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 181
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codger View Post

I came into some unexpected funds and decided to upgrade my 3-year old CRT HDTV. After quite a bit of research on the AVS forums and in stores I bought a 50XBR1 in 12/05 ($3499 no tax, free delivery from local dealer), I'm amazed by the PQ of this set for both OTA HDTV (internal tuner) and DVD via my Denon 1600. DVDs look almost HDTV-like and the detail in shows like HD-CSI is unbelievable. I thought my prior CRT HDTV was impressive, but wow. The one area I'm not happy with is the Wide-Zoom 4:3 image stretch mode, it's inferior to the Toshiba's Theaterwide 1 which was quite usable for non-widescreen DVDs. Other than that, I couldn't be happier so far. Oh, and I also like the speaker wing look...

Which stand is that? I like it.
NatasNJ is offline  
post #5609 of 23994 Old 01-13-2006, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
LL3HD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Flushing, New York, USA
Posts: 5,409
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsmithin View Post

...green glob...dumbo ears.




Green Globs and Dumbos oh my!!

It wouldn't surprise me if someone (Samsung seems obvious) cut him a check for every time he managed to stick those words in a post.

Hey a lot of people hate the ears, gezze, I can proudly say, that I am the one who friggin coined the phrase Dumbo Ears- where's my check?

But let's not keep beating this into the ground. Yo, jjsmthin, cash your check and move on to something new already. Keep this thread on topic.

PS --here is the birth of the renowned phrase- Dumbo Ears
Post # 517
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&page=18&pp=30

That and 2 bucks will get me a roll of Charmin.

Larry

I thought we were
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

LL3HD is offline  
post #5610 of 23994 Old 01-13-2006, 11:50 AM
Senior Member
 
Micro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: North Caroliona
Posts: 428
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, I am very close in buying this telvision and at a very good price I should say, but I am thinking of getting DVDO iScan VP30 a high definition video processor as my A/V hub. Is anyone using a video processor with there new television or is it over kill?

I don't know much about these processors just started looking into them this pass week. I found the VP30 at a good price also and just looking for some feedback on this.

Thanks again.
Micro is offline  
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Sony , Sony Kds R5oxbr1 Kdsr5oxbr1 Lamp With Housing Xl5100
Gear in this thread - Xl5100 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off