Official 2005 Sony KDSR-50/60XBR1 SXRD Owner's Thread - Page 476 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #14251 of 23994 Old 11-19-2006, 07:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Someone had asked if the green blobs that show on my Memory Stick were noticeable and that was a so-so for me until I replayed a Discovery HD show today showing the first live HD broadcast from the International Space Station. Twenty-one minutes into the show they showed a live shot out the window of western Africa and all my green blobs were very, very visible without looking for them. We had a guest over who didn't know about the blobs and she asked, "What is that green stuff?"

Now, let me ask another question. Is there any conscientious on any option I should utilize if I am offered a new TV option? I like to think these things out ahead of time so I don't make rushed judgments if circumstances would allow a new TV. I have a space that will accommodate a maximum TV width of 63". My current SXRD is a 50" (Nov '05 Build) . I didn't get the 60" because it would not fit in the space with the Dumbo Ears. What should I be thinking about?

Thanks folks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14252 of 23994 Old 11-19-2006, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john18 View Post

Yeah, I noticed that also. The problem just isn't on the Memory Stick screen, I can see it on the normal display also.

And if you're like me, once you notice them that's all you look at. They're a total distraction.
post #14253 of 23994 Old 11-19-2006, 09:30 PM

I didn't want to contact Sony until i received some input from others that own this TV.

I have Directv as my source. Yes their signal has degraded latley so i want to ask if it is DirecTV or my Sony XRB1.

I notice on SD channels when it's a nightime shot (on the black area) or when the signal is black in between commericals there is heavy pixelation of a green tone. On the left side of the TV you can see a 5" vertical stripe down the side that is pixelized. When you get back to normal prgramming, it is hard to notice...
This pixelation tends to occur on SD channels in dark areas across the screen though when in between commericals I notice the vertical stripe along with some greenish pixelation across the screen. Am I expecting too much for the screen to be perfectly black? It almost appears to look like a VU meter of greenish dots that undulate.....

On the menu screen or HDTV programming, the picture seems perfect.

Is this the TV or the signal from DirecTV? Does anyone else notice this on SD programming in the darker or completely black areas?

Thank you for your answers...

Lance
post #14254 of 23994 Old 11-19-2006, 11:32 PM
kaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by panchalv View Post

think i have a problem here. Its been 7 months since i have had this unit and recently it has started to exhibit a flicker problem.

This problem is especially noticeable when viewing bright scenes, or backgrounds that are light, or almost white. Instead of the colors being stable, they flickered and/or flashed extremely rapidly. This chronic flickering sometimes happened so quickly that unless we were paying close attention, we probably wouldn't have notice it. However, once we did notice it, we suddenly couldn't focus on anything else but the flicker.

Does anyone have experiance this? i am worried.

I too am experiencing this flicker or strobing problem. It seems to be mostly happening with 720p content when there is a lot of moving detail on the screen. For example, a football games on ESPN HD when they zoom out so you can see a lot of the crowd I get the strobing on the crowd only, however, on NBC HD I don't get that effect on similar shots. Also, leaves on trees and foliage shots do this a lot when the camera pans. It's really annoying.

Also, a similarly related problem I have lately is with contrasting color like men's pinstripe suits, or any other finely detailed item. The pixels in the contrasting area can't seem to make up their mind and they just alternate quickly between the two colors. This too I've only noticed on HD. I had hoped these problems were source related, and bought a Motorola signal booster, but it did not help.

I definitely notice this more in the vivid mode, and can tune some of this out in the pro settings, but I lose a lot of detail as well. I have the extended warranty, and I'll be calling if it gets much worse.

Does anyone know if anything could be tweaked in the service menu to help?
post #14255 of 23994 Old 11-20-2006, 12:14 AM
MRL
AVS Special Member

I am really getting worried reading all these posts with other problems than the OB. Thought I did my research on this one pretty good. I have been spoiled the last 10 years only having Pioneer Elites. This time I just could not spend 10K on a first year run of their wall units. Probably wish I would have by the time this is all done. Glad I got an extended warranty. Still love the picture and features on this tv though....
Mike
post #14256 of 23994 Old 11-20-2006, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaw View Post

I too am experiencing this flicker or strobing problem. It seems to be mostly happening with 720p content when there is a lot of moving detail on the screen. For example, a football games on ESPN HD when they zoom out so you can see a lot of the crowd I get the strobing on the crowd only, however, on NBC HD I don't get that effect on similar shots. Also, leaves on trees and foliage shots do this a lot when the camera pans. It's really annoying.

Also, a similarly related problem I have lately is with contrasting color like men's pinstripe suits, or any other finely detailed item. The pixels in the contrasting area can't seem to make up their mind and they just alternate quickly between the two colors. This too I've only noticed on HD. I had hoped these problems were source related, and bought a Motorola signal booster, but it did not help.

I definitely notice this more in the vivid mode, and can tune some of this out in the pro settings, but I lose a lot of detail as well. I have the extended warranty, and I'll be calling if it gets much worse.

Does anyone know if anything could be tweaked in the service menu to help?

I will be showing my unit to a sony technician tomorrow. Will let you know what they have to say about it. Hopefully, I will be able to re-create the issue for him.
post #14257 of 23994 Old 11-20-2006, 12:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Does anyone know how to tell which resolution your set is displaying? I have a PS3 and it switches resolutions back and forth, and I would like to check which one it's in whenever this happens.

Thanks!

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #14258 of 23994 Old 11-20-2006, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

Does anyone know how to tell which resolution your set is displaying? I have a PS3 and it switches resolutions back and forth, and I would like to check which one it's in whenever this happens.

Thanks!

Click the display button and it'll tell you what the incoming source's resolution is.
post #14259 of 23994 Old 11-20-2006, 12:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Not for me... it tells me the time, the input channel (i.e. Video 4 w/label), and in the lower left it says 'wide mode, full'. It does not tell me the resolution. Is there a way to turn that info on?

EDIT: I needed to turn the 'Info Banner' option on. Now 'Display' button shows it. Thanks!

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #14260 of 23994 Old 11-20-2006, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by echester View Post

KewlK-

Please supply details on the service menu adjustments. Thanks.

e

BLACK PIXELATION/RANDOM BLOCK NOISE/"WHITE DANDRUFF" FIX

This will require you to enter your xbr1's service menu which is a risky thing. Make sure you feel competent maneuvering through the menu *before* even attempting any changes. If you change a value (either intentionally or accidentally) and want to return to the previous default, press 0 then ENTER on your remote to restore the original setting. *Some values cannot be reset using this method* and in order to reset, the tv must be powered down then unplugged for at least 10 seconds. There really is no way to permanently damage the tv in the service menu (well unless you turn off the cooling fans and fry your ob). If you accidentally change a setting that seemingly kills your tv or causes it to behave erratically don't panic. Again simply power it off, wait a couple minutes for the lamp to cool, and unplug for at least 10 seconds. ...But the statement must be made anyway: ***I will not be held liable for any damages you might inflict to your television, you make any of the following changes at your own discretion and risk.***

The changes involved to improve the pixelation problem are very simple. It seems to be an imbalance of some of the core contrast controls in relation to the core brightness control.

With the set off quickly press DISPLAY - 5 - VOLUME UP - POWER

You are now in the service menu. Slowly press JUMP three times. You should see "PANEL NVM OK" at the top of the screen.

The 2 and 5 keys shuffle through the main categories, while the 1 and 4 keys toggle through the sub categories. The 3 and 6 keys make changes. MUTING + ENTER WILL PERMANENTLY SAVE CHANGES.

First, press the 2 key eleven times until you get to "11 CNV" as the main category. Then press the 1 key three times until you see "3 GAIN_R" in the subcategory. To the far right you should see a "0", if not, we are going to definitely make some changes **(if yours is already zero, see further below).

Press the 6 key until you get 0 (the picture color will be drastically changed but don't be concerned). Press the 1 key once to get to "4 GAIN_G", again make sure you see a 0, if not press the 6 key to get it. Now press the 1 key again and you'll see "5 GAIN_B", press 6 to get the 0. Your core contrast will now be greatly reduced, so we'll have to go to a different section to increase it.

Press the 5 key nine times. You should see "2_WB" as the main category. Press the 1 key nine times to go to "9 SUB_CON". This is your core contrast control. The default contrast setting is normally right around 128 to 132 or so. Press the 1 key once to see "10 SUB_BRT". This is the core brightness control, and its default is normally 128.

If your set required the three gain controls to be reduced to 0, then you will need to increase the core contrast and slightly tweak the core brightness. Use a calibration disk like AVIA or DVE to get it right. Watch some dark programming and enjoy the improved picture quality. When you are satisfied with your adjustments press muting then enter to permanently apply the changes. Power off the set to exit the service menu.

**If your set's gain controls were already defaulted at 0 from the start, then we will have to try a slightly different approach. At the "11 CNV" main category, the first subcategory is "0 CNV_ON" and the default is "1". Press the 6 key once to change it to zero. Navigate to "2_WB" by pressing the 5 key nine times. Press the 1 key nine times to go to "9 SUB_CON". Increase contrast with the 3 key until it is correct. Again, using AVIA or DVE for perfect adjustment. Muting + enter to save changes, power off to exit service menu.

Works for me, should work for you also.
post #14261 of 23994 Old 11-20-2006, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrobkc View Post

Please help me with this. I thought with 3/06 prod date the board didn't need to be replaced. That the board should be replaced on older prod date when putting in the newer model OB. I think I need to wade back thru older posts. I have 3/06 prod date and am to have OB replaced this week. Any feedback appreciated.

Your set already has the updated ASU/DSU boards. You do not need any other part besides the newer ob for replacement. The exact break-off betwen old and new is Jan '06 and prior (original ob, boards) / Feb '06 sets and later (new ob, boards).
post #14262 of 23994 Old 11-20-2006, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

think i have a problem here. Its been 7 months since i have had this unit and recently it has started to exhibit a flicker problem.

This problem is especially noticeable when viewing bright scenes, or backgrounds that are light, or almost white. Instead of the colors being stable, they flickered and/or flashed extremely rapidly. This chronic flickering sometimes happened so quickly that unless we were paying close attention, we probably wouldn't have notice it. However, once we did notice it, we suddenly couldn't focus on anything else but the flicker.

Does anyone have experiance this? i am worried.

Based upon your description, my diagnosis is that your tv needs at the very least a new lamp. There is a good chance that the lamp power supply block is failing. Its part # is 1-468-936-12
post #14263 of 23994 Old 11-20-2006, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Mike View Post

Anyways, I got 2 questions that I am just curious about since Day one I bought this TV but I always forgot to ask them in my previous posts:

(1) When I go into the 'Twin View Mode' I can't have 2 pictures from 2 sources of the Video Inputs 4-7. The manual says those inputs can only be displayed on the left window. Is there are way 2 have 2 pics on the screen from the Inputs 4-7 ?

(2) When I press the 'JUMP' Button it should (at least the manual states that) jump back and forth between the current channel and the last channel that was selected.

Well it does not do that. I'm only using the Video Input Channels and as soon as I press JUMP it says 'Feature not available'. Is that a general problem with the Video Inputs or is that a problem with my particular TV ?

I have a KDS-R60XBR1 built in December '05.

Mike

There is nothing wrong with your TV. I know, what you describe pisses me off also. Unfortunately the xbr2 has the exact same limitations with these issues.

The other thing that bothers me with the xbr1 is that twinview doesn't work properly with a firewire video feed. The xbr2 does not have a firewire interface, so for my needs, it is worthless.
post #14264 of 23994 Old 11-20-2006, 04:48 PM

FWIW, I saved myself about two weeks of time by posting the photos of my SXRD on here. The wait for a tech visit from my local Sony authorized service place is about two weeks. However, I shot them an e-mail with the link to the photos I took and they looked at them and said "light engine" and are ordering the parts. (They already had the serial number, etc., from the retailer.) So, now we need to see how long it will take to get the parts in, but at least I am further along by having posted the photos.

For any of you that had the same problem repaired, did any of your video settings need to be changed after the fix or were the same settings saved and still applicable after the fix?
post #14265 of 23994 Old 11-20-2006, 09:28 PM

Quote:

FWIW, I saved myself about two weeks of time by posting the photos of my SXRD on here. The wait for a tech visit from my local Sony authorized service place is about two weeks. However, I shot them an e-mail with the link to the photos I took and they looked at them and said "light engine" and are ordering the parts. (They already had the serial number, etc., from the retailer.) So, now we need to see how long it will take to get the parts in, but at least I am further along by having posted the photos.

For any of you that had the same problem repaired, did any of your video settings need to be changed after the fix or were the same settings saved and still applicable after the fix?

Same setting, screwed up pic for me especially in Pro mode.

cheezz

After having witnessed the mugging of a snail by a fellow snail, the investigating officer asked the DMP-BD30 what happened to which the BD player replied "I don't remember...it happened so fast."
post #14266 of 23994 Old 11-20-2006, 09:40 PM

Quote:

My original problem was the yellow stain/lines but that also required a new OB. The settings were saved after the OB swap for me. However, the new OB had a slightly different color balance. I had to redo my gray scale tracking (advanced color balance) using my colorimeter and CalMan software to get the gray scales to track. However, I have several different colors on a gray screen so I had to pick one near the center of the screen to adjust to gray. I still have green and red areas that aren't gray after the color balance adjustment (now I have the green glob but no yellow stains). My service center is coming out after Thanksgiving again to evaluate my green/red globs on my new OB after the swap.
post #14267 of 23994 Old 11-20-2006, 11:02 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks Kewlk!

I went into the service menu per your instructions and my 3 gains were already at 0. I continued with the instructions and adjusted the contrast in the service menu from default of 128 down to 114 for increased contrast. Your instructions made it a no brainer.

Then, I went into normal and advanced settings to make a few changes and viola, shes looking much better!

I ordered the Avia disk and hopefully will get it before Turkey Day. I'm anxious to run it and dial in the settings. Any tips here with the Avia?

Thanks for posting the instructions for this it helped out greatly. Its late, so tomorrow I will check out the DVD and see how it looks now.

Update:

In order to avoid the blotchy blacks after the latests production OB in my March 06 build KDSR-60XBR1, one has to crank up the brightness and decrease the contrast on all inputs. The picture is still watchable, but with an obvious lack of contrast

I just checked the DVD input and put in Davinci code. Adjusted the levels of brightness and contrast for the input. I don't know what to say except WOW! The picture looks great again and the blotchy blacks that would attack my screen in the shadow areas are gone and I have no dandruff. I have plenty of range for brightness and contrast and the bloctchy blacks are just a bad memory now.

It is amazing what a simple service menu option can do. I think the new OB's and even the old OB's should come with serivice menu adjustment instructions and the techs should verify the black levels before he/she leaves. Huge difference for the better, my set rocks again. Now, if it will just stay like this for the long term.

Kewlk, Your da Man!!!

Thanks again!
post #14268 of 23994 Old 11-20-2006, 11:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I got the 360 HD-DVD add-on today and it works marvelous. Very fast response and looks great!

Going through component, of course, with the lingering fears of ICT being implemented. Only other really big down-side was the noise the 360 makes during quiet scenes in a movie.

-- "No matter where you go, there you are."

SXRD/Denon/Polk/PS3/360/WiiU
Blu-ray bliss

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PSN: Uxi

post #14269 of 23994 Old 11-21-2006, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbAVS View Post

Yes, use the DVI to HDMI cable method. It works really well and if you have nvidia cards for instance, you can use the drivers to underscan the resolution to match the desktop perfectly.

I would not bother with either s-video or the vga port for computer hookups.

Thanks for your reply.
I have a radeon 9600 card
Is there a big difference of quality between the vga and DVI ? I tried VGA yesterday... and it was pretty neat.. but i couldn't seem to go to 1920x1080... was stuck at 1280x1024... so my screen was a square in the middle of the screen..but the quality was good.. if i plug through DVI..will it let me have it in 1920x1080 ? Or i better change my video card ? That card isn't too old and should support up to those resolutions...and even higher...do i need to get a driver for it to recognize the screen correctly ?

your talking about underscan... how do I achieve that ?

Thanks

Alex
post #14270 of 23994 Old 11-21-2006, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KewlK View Post

Hi Alex, welcome to the forum. Is the scrolling you are seeing by any chance vertical? If so you have your video card's output driver control set to PAL. You must change it to NTSC as the US xbr1's can't handle the PAL signal properly.

VGA mode is not as bad on this set as most make it out to be. I actually like it. Try it out for yourself, in any case it is *much* superior to an s-video hookup.

Finally, a DVI to HDMI cable or adapter is just fine and will provide the absolute best picture quality. But you will have to compensate for overscan through your card's driver.

As a side note 1080i overscan cannot be successfully reduced within the WEM service menu...while 720p, 480i/p, and NTSC can.

Hi KewIK! Thanks for your respond.

My card is not set to PAL.. it's NTSC... but yes it's vertical...

Has you can read in the other post i made today to another user... i tried VGA yesterday.. and..well.. the quality was pretty good... but couldn't go higher than 1280x1024... i wann be in 1920x1080... Is there a way to achieve that ?

What is overscan ?

Please read my other post..since i have more details in it... and it would kindda be redundant to have it in this post as well!!

and what does this mean in plain and simple ? (As a side note 1080i overscan cannot be successfully reduced within the WEM service menu...while 720p, 480i/p, and NTSC can) ? I don,t even know what WEM is Sorry!

Thanks a lot!

Alex
post #14271 of 23994 Old 11-21-2006, 07:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

simply power it off, wait a couple minutes for the lamp to cool, and unplug for at least 10 seconds.

If I get a professional calibration and then have a power outage, will I lose all of the changes that I paid for? Or are you talking about changes that you have made during a current episode of tweeking?

Roy
post #14272 of 23994 Old 11-21-2006, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by royrose View Post

If I get a professional calibration and then have a power outage, will I lose all of the changes that I paid for? Or are you talking about changes that you have made during a current episode of tweeking?

Roy

If any changes were made in the SM and they were not committed (using Mute+Enter) they will be lost if power to the TV is lost.
post #14273 of 23994 Old 11-21-2006, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KewlK View Post

Your set already has the updated ASU/DSU boards. You do not need any other part besides the newer ob for replacement. The exact break-off betwen old and new is Jan '06 and prior (original ob, boards) / Feb '06 sets and later (new ob, boards).

For the 50" xbr1

My tech told me that any serial beginning 910 required a newer OB and any starting serial starting 900 or prior required older OB. My tv is a January build, so I wonder if I have a new ASU/DSU assemly (or old), and if this is why my OB replacemet was unsatisfactory (my serial begins 910). The PQ is sub par, it looks like my friends 10 year old Mits.

Cheezz is your TV a Jan 06 build? and did they replace the ASU/DSU?
post #14274 of 23994 Old 11-21-2006, 09:45 AM

Really? My tv runs approx 6 hours daily so thats around 180/month and thats' less than 1500 hours. it seems slow!

Thanks for the reply KewIK. If that you said is correct, do you think i will have to pay for it or sony will as the bulb has not aged to its rating. Or not even 30% of it. Is there a way to check the actuall time the bulb has ran?
post #14275 of 23994 Old 11-21-2006, 11:14 AM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:

Really? My tv runs approx 6 hours daily so thats around 180/month and thats' less than 1500 hours. it seems slow!

Thanks for the reply KewIK. If that you said is correct, do you think i will have to pay for it or sony will as the bulb has not aged to its rating. Or not even 30% of it. Is there a way to check the actuall time the bulb has ran?

Try the following:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post8279435
post #14276 of 23994 Old 11-21-2006, 01:28 PM

Quote:

For the 50" xbr1

My tech told me that any serial beginning 910 required a newer OB and any starting serial starting 900 or prior required older OB. My tv is a January build, so I wonder if I have a new ASU/DSU assemly (or old), and if this is why my OB replacemet was unsatisfactory (my serial begins 910). The PQ is sub par, it looks like my friends 10 year old Mits.

They did not replace the ASU/DSU board. Color is great but PQ not as crisp as with the original OB. I told the tech that this is not acceptable. I wanted to go with one more OB replacement but Sony said nuff is nuff so they offered me one of the three choices. Refurb XBR1, 55in A2000, or an upgrade to XBR2 or choice. I decided to go with the 46inch XBR2 LCD. Should take delivery 7-10 days.

Good luck to all on your OB replacements.

cheezz

After having witnessed the mugging of a snail by a fellow snail, the investigating officer asked the DMP-BD30 what happened to which the BD player replied "I don't remember...it happened so fast."
post #14277 of 23994 Old 11-21-2006, 01:29 PM

Quote:

For the 50" xbr1

It is a January 06 build. They did not replace the ASU/DSU board. Color is great but PQ not as crisp as with the original OB. I told the tech that this is not acceptable. I wanted to go with one more OB replacement but Sony said nuff is nuff so they offered me one of the three choices. Refurb XBR1, 55in A2000, or an upgrade to XBR2 or choice. I decided to go with the 46inch XBR2 LCD. Should take delivery 7-10 days.

cheezz

post #14278 of 23994 Old 11-21-2006, 01:37 PM

Quote:

For the 50" xbr1

It is a January 06 build. They did not replace the ASU/DSU board. Color is great but PQ not as crisp as with the original OB. I told the tech that this is not acceptable. I wanted to go with one more OB replacement but Sony said nuff is nuff so they offered me one of the three choices. Refurb XBR1, 55in A2000, or an upgrade to XBR2 or choice. I decided to go with the 46inch XBR2 LCD. Should take delivery 7-10 days.

cheezz

post #14279 of 23994 Old 11-21-2006, 01:39 PM

Mod, please delete duplicate posts above.

cheezz

post #14280 of 23994 Old 11-21-2006, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezz View Post

cheezz

What is the model number of the 46 inch XBR2 LCD?
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Sony , Sony Kds R5oxbr1 Kdsr5oxbr1 Lamp With Housing Xl5100
Gear in this thread - Xl5100 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page