Forum Jump: 

post #15061 of 23999 Old 01-10-2007, 07:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladtemplar View Post

My parents own the 60" XBR1, much to my disgust Ultimate Electronics tricked them and delivered an XBR1 instead of an XBR2 like I wanted, but it was past the return date by the time I discovered this.

Since there is no 1080p HDMI input, what should be done with regards to this.

Secondly, what exactly does it mean by upconversion to native 1080p? I've seen nothing of how to do this, or when its mentioned it says it does it automatically...but yet I've never seen the screen display 1080p.

The 60xbr1 display is 1080p60 but the TV only has 1080i60 inputs which means all pixels that you see on the display get refreashed 60 times a second. (I think the 60xbr1 display is refreshed at 120HZ with pixel response 6ms)

If it had an interlaced display, pixels that you see on the display would get refreashed 30 times a second at of 60HZ rate by displaying field1 (lines 1,3,5,7 ect) first, then field 2 (lines 2,4,6,8 ect).

1080p60 is not part of the ATSC HD specifications, you'll never see 1080p60 over the air broadcasts, satellite or cable. Movies are filmed at 24FPS and when converted to 1080p60 for bluRay HD their is not going to be much improvement.

Unless your parents are heavy gamers playing high FPS sims, I wouldn't worry about 60xbr1 not havng 1080p60 inputs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15062 of 23999 Old 01-10-2007, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post

bboncorr1: I believe you and I am sure there are a ton of people that are having issues with the SXRD, i find it odd, that there FP SXRDs are not effected by the green blob issue, and if they are it is very minimal. This is a Owners thread and the only people that seem to post here are people having issues with there sets. They should change the name of this thread or move it to the Sony SXRD problems thread, then I know where to come if I had issues, heck the begining of this thread started off as a owners tweak thread, but that was lost a long time ago Best of Luck hopefully they will replace your set sooner than later.

I disagree on two points: First, there is a "Complaint-Free 50/60" XBR1 KDS50XBR1 & KDS60XBR1" thread at
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=776484. See the first page of this thread for a complete index of related threads.

New readers of this forum can find it overwhelming. I know I did. There is so much information here that it takes a long time to search it out. This thread stands out because of its name. It is one of the easiest threads to find for new users. And since there are a number of related posts, it shows up at, or near the top of any Google search for XBR1 problems.

I would bet that a large number of users started here because of this. I originally found this forum in a Google search for the SA8300HD cable box and again when I searched for "SXRD problems".

Second, it appears that the true "green blob" shows up after many hours of use. My set went bad after approximately 3,300 hours. I have a friend who bought the same model a couple of weeks after I bought mine. His has been trouble-free so far, yet he has been following my situation closely so that if his does develop the problem, he will know what to do about it. He watches it far less than my family, so he may not develop a problem for at least a year, after his OEM warranty runs out.

Neither of us bought the extended warranty so based on my and others' experiences, as reported here, he intends to purchase one before his OEM warranty runs out.

The reports on this thread have been extremely helpful for many owners who have encountered the OB problem. Where else would we be able to go to get this information?

Be seeing you!
post #15063 of 23999 Old 01-10-2007, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cctvtech View Post

I disagree on two points: First, there is a "Complaint-Free 50/60" XBR1 KDS50XBR1 & KDS60XBR1" thread at
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=776484. See the first page of this thread for a complete index of related threads.

New readers of this forum can find it overwhelming. I know I did. There is so much information here that it takes a long time to search it out. This thread stands out because of its name. It is one of the easiest threads to find for new users. And since there are a number of related posts, it shows up at, or near the top of any Google search for XBR1 problems.

I would bet that a large number of users started here because of this. I originally found this forum in a Google search for the SA8300HD cable box and again when I searched for "SXRD problems".

Second, it appears that the true "green blob" shows up after many hours of use. My set went bad after approximately 3,300 hours. I have a friend who bought the same model a couple of weeks after I bought mine. His has been trouble-free so far, yet he has been following my situation closely so that if his does develop the problem, he will know what to do about it. He watches it far less than my family, so he may not develop a problem for at least a year, after his OEM warranty runs out.

Neither of us bought the extended warranty so based on my and others' experiences, as reported here, he intends to purchase one before his OEM warranty runs out.

The reports on this thread have been extremely helpful for many owners who have encountered the OB problem. Where else would we be able to go to get this information?

thats what alot of these sony supporters just dont get. like i said earlier i have gotten many p.ms and responses in threds like this on the highdefforum and this one with people thanking me for certain info. im sure others with the same problems have been thanked for the help. there is a problem free thread so people without problems can go there and talk about how great there tv looks until there forced to come here and read how others dealt with the problems there encountering. we will get a number on the % of broken/repaired units when that lawsuit gets going but more then likely sony will settle the case and demand that info be kept secret. then the government would have to step in to get the numbers and decide if more actions need to be taken but if sony is already being sued and settles then i doubt the government will bother stepping in unless the numbers are insane.

Pioneer 5010FD, Sony 60A3000, Panny 42PZ85U, Yamaha RX-V3800, Denon 4308, B&W 600's, HSU VTF-3 MK3, Def. Tech. bp7004, 2002, 1.2x, 2x, TivoHD, Samsung 1200, harmony 1000, ps3, xbox360, Sony BDP S350
post #15064 of 23999 Old 01-10-2007, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladtemplar View Post

My parents own the 60" XBR1, much to my disgust Ultimate Electronics tricked them and delivered an XBR1 instead of an XBR2 like I wanted, but it was past the return date by the time I discovered this.

Since there is no 1080p HDMI input, what should be done with regards to this.

Secondly, what exactly does it mean by upconversion to native 1080p? I've seen nothing of how to do this, or when its mentioned it says it does it automatically...but yet I've never seen the screen display 1080p.

Hi, having worked for them I can tell you that Ultimate Electronics do not function that way. More likely it was just a mistake. If I were you I would go back to the store and speak to the sales person that sold you the TV and also the store manager so they can correct any mistake they may have made. Btw, if you wanted an XBR2 for your parents why didn't you go over and check it out when it was delivered or soon after?
post #15065 of 23999 Old 01-10-2007, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Well, I just had my OB replaced on my 50XBR1 10 minutes ago. The guy was so fast and obviously in a hurry that I didn't have time to run out and tell him that my set was purple/pink in the top left and bottom right corners!

I know this is definitely buried in the posts on this encyclopedia of a thread, but will this problem disappear after a while, or do I need to call the guy back?

The green is gone, and there are no sharpness issues....

Thanks.

------------------------------------
PSN/XBO: frankthetoad
post #15066 of 23999 Old 01-10-2007, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetoad View Post

Well, I just had my OB replaced on my 50XBR1 10 minutes ago. The guy was so fast and obviously in a hurry that I didn't have time to run out and tell him that my set was purple/pink in the top left and bottom right corners!

I know this is definitely buried in the posts on this encyclopedia of a thread, but will this problem disappear after a while, or do I need to call the guy back?

Thanks.

Being in a hurry is one thing and I can understand the tech has other jobs to do, however, allowing the tech to leave before the tv is inspected is your responsibility as much as his/hers.

Sure the tech should of course turn the set on after he has removed all the guts and put them back to make sure it works Then, he/she should verify a proper image is being produced. If its worse then the old OB should be re-installed.

As owners of our sets we have to take some responsiblity of the work being done to them. Before the tech worked on my set, I made sure he new what he was in for. I'm a high maintenance customer and I made sure he was aware of this before a screw is turned.

I didn't have the pink issues and the results from my OB replacement removed my green blob and I had a very sharp image just like when I bought it. However, after viewing shows that had considerable shadow detail it was apparent something was still not right as the shadows lacked any detail and were blotchy. This can be almost completely corrected via service menu settings and changes in the setup menu. Of course I didn't pay for a almost trouble free set and ended up with an XBR2 replacement that is currently flawless.
post #15067 of 23999 Old 01-10-2007, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks.

same thing im going through. at first it was pink/purple in the top left corner then it graduated to all but the center of the tv where it is green now. its not noticable unless i watch hockey, skin tones, or b&w movies but it can get annoying. its just gonna get worse and not better. i suggest you call sony and ask for a different repair shop come out to look at the tv.

the reason i say have a different repair shop come out is sony does not pay most shop for work performed that doesnt repair the tv. so when the repair shop comes back out they can snake you by saying the tv is broken but then turn around and tell sony it meets there specs. this happened to me and now im waiting for sony to find another repair shop in my area to come in my apartment just to say wow thats alot of purple. if you do have the same repair shop come out then definetly have them make a note to you on the problem and sign it this way they can not change there answer later (wish i thought of this before my second review visit by the tech).

Pioneer 5010FD, Sony 60A3000, Panny 42PZ85U, Yamaha RX-V3800, Denon 4308, B&W 600's, HSU VTF-3 MK3, Def. Tech. bp7004, 2002, 1.2x, 2x, TivoHD, Samsung 1200, harmony 1000, ps3, xbox360, Sony BDP S350
post #15068 of 23999 Old 01-10-2007, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid1 View Post

Being in a hurry is one thing and I can understand the tech has other jobs to do, however, allowing the tech to leave before the tv is inspected is your responsibility as much as his/hers.

Sure the tech should of course turn the set on after he has removed all the guts and put them back to make sure it works Then, he/she should verify a proper image is being produced. If its worse then the old OB should be re-installed.

As owners of our sets we have to take some responsiblity of the work being done to them. Before the tech worked on my set, I made sure he new what he was in for. I'm a high maintenance customer and I made sure he was aware of this before a screw is turned.

I didn't have the pink issues and the results from my OB replacement removed my green blob and I had a very sharp image just like when I bought it. However, after viewing shows that had considerable shadow detail it was apparent something was still not right as the shadows lacked any detail and were blotchy. This can be almost completely corrected via service menu settings and changes in the setup menu. Of course I didn't pay for a almost trouble free set and ended up with an XBR2 replacement that is currently flawless.

respone to the part i made bold: techs make a point to tell the customers that they are not gonna reinstall the old o.b. and if its worse then sony will have to be contacted. the tech shop i dealt with was very clear about this and brought it up 3 times before he even started the install. i asked around if this is a standard practice and the response was 100% yes with the xbr1.

post #15069 of 23999 Old 01-10-2007, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboncorr1 View Post

respone to the part i made bold: techs make a point to tell the customers that they are not gonna reinstall the old o.b. and if its worse then sony will have to be contacted. the tech shop i dealt with was very clear about this and brought it up 3 times before he even started the install. i asked around if this is a standard practice and the response was 100% yes with the xbr1.

The tech I had from CC was very understanding and would have replaced the old OB if the new one made it worse and we were in agreement of this. As you said it may be the Service Dept your dealing with or the Tech, but it only makes since to put back the old one should the new one be worse than the original.
post #15070 of 23999 Old 01-10-2007, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for your response.

I'm the same way. However, when starting to probe with questions, he flat out said he didn't know the technical stuff...he just repaired/replaced parts.

He went through the service menu when I was getting the receipt for him. The picture looked great when I saw it; the purple/pink problem didn't become apparent until I saw a white screen like the other poster mentioned.

I will call the repair shop back and get Sony involved if I have to. Thanks for pointing out where I might have been remiss, but I really just wanted to know if the pink was a normal occurence with this replacement.

post #15071 of 23999 Old 01-10-2007, 11:31 AM

Quote:

Thanks.

It will not go away just continue to get worse.That is the problem i had. I would call Sony immediately and let them know the repair did not work.
post #15072 of 23999 Old 01-10-2007, 11:36 AM

Just to give everyone an update of my TV problem. They're now saying that they need to take the TV To service it and theres no way around it. I've talked with Sony about it and they said its necessary to service so they might have to take the TV. So now I have no choice but to let them take the TV for 3-5 days ARGH! I call HHGregg and I couldn't believe it they said I needed to call Sony also for the first year before they can service it. I will never buy another extended warranty through the store ever again. So now I will have to go without TV until Wednesday of next week.
post #15073 of 23999 Old 01-10-2007, 11:36 AM

Sony just called and verified my replacement set. It was going to cost me 125.00 to go to a XBR2 or more to go to the 70.I decided to go to the 70 sinse all the problems with the 60 i am a little afraid of the 60.It cost me the difference from what i paid for mine to the 70. It was around 1400.00 including tax.I called where i purchased the set and they said they would transfer my 5 year warranty to this set.
post #15074 of 23999 Old 01-10-2007, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMBO1680 View Post

It will not go away just continue to get worse.That is the problem i had. I would call Sony immediately and let them know the repair did not work.

Thanks. That's what I thought.

I called the repair shop and they're sending someone out right away. Should I also give Sony a call to let them know what's going on in case the shop tries to dispute my claim?

post #15075 of 23999 Old 01-10-2007, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Sony just called and verified my replacement set. It was going to cost me 125.00 to go to a XBR2 or more to go to the 70.I decided to go to the 70 sinse all the problems with the 60 i am a little afraid of the 60.It cost me the difference from what i paid for mine to the 70. It was around 1400.00 including tax.I called where i purchased the set and they said they would transfer my 5 year warranty to this set.

Interesting they would transfer your warranty to the new set. CC will not transfer, but will refund you.
post #15076 of 23999 Old 01-10-2007, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbolt30 View Post

Just to give everyone an update of my TV problem. They're now saying that they need to take the TV To service it and theres no way around it. I've talked with Sony about it and they said its necessary to service so they might have to take the TV. So now I have no choice but to let them take the TV for 3-5 days ARGH! I call HHGregg and I couldn't believe it they said I needed to call Sony also for the first year before they can service it. I will never buy another extended warranty through the store ever again. So now I will have to go without TV until Wednesday of next week.

I have pretty much read this entire thread and removal of the set for service is slim to say the least. Sounds to me they are uncomfortable working on the set.
post #15077 of 23999 Old 01-10-2007, 11:48 AM

Quote:

I have pretty much read this entire thread and removal of the set for service is slim to say the least. Sounds to me they are uncomfortable working on the set.

Well whatever it is I called Sony to make sure they wasn't trying to steal my TV. They said its perfectly normal if they have to take the TV. Whats up with that?
post #15078 of 23999 Old 01-10-2007, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well whatever it is I called Sony to make sure they wasn't trying to steal my TV. They said its perfectly normal if they have to take the TV. Whats up with that?

It doesn't seem normal to me and I would ask them if its unreasonable to have the work done at home as you do not feel comfortable with the set be taken and you will be left without TV. They should at least provide a loaner set until they have finished the work.

That sucks!
post #15079 of 23999 Old 01-10-2007, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks. That's what I thought.

I called the repair shop and they're sending someone out right away. Should I also give Sony a call to let them know what's going on in case the shop tries to dispute my claim?

make sure the repair shop makes a signed note to you about the problems. this will cover your butt if it become debatable later. also let sony know this way this visit will count toward a second visit otherwise sony may demand the repair shop come out again.

post #15080 of 23999 Old 01-10-2007, 12:22 PM

Quote:

Interesting they would transfer your warranty to the new set. CC will not transfer, but will refund you.

I know thats why i am worried that it wont transfer plus i paid sony 1400.00 for the upgrade.SHOULD I JUST CANCEL IT AND BUY A NEW WARRANTY.
post #15081 of 23999 Old 01-10-2007, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

it is very rare that a shop takes this tv out of the home for repairs. i have also been following this thread and some over at the highdefforum and there are not many people going through shops taking the tv out of the home. i would demand a set date for the tvs return and tell sony its not repairable if they can not have it returned by that date. i did hear of 1 case where someone didnt get there tv back for 2 months and the repair shop gave him the run around the whole time.

try to get something in writing as sony will not be able to do anything if the tv takes to long to be repaired since its now the shops responsability.

post #15082 of 23999 Old 01-10-2007, 12:31 PM

Quote:

I think these tv guarntee in home service.I would not let them take my set.
post #15083 of 23999 Old 01-10-2007, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I know thats why i am worried that it wont transfer plus i paid sony 1400.00 for the upgrade.SHOULD I JUST CANCEL IT AND BUY A NEW WARRANTY.

ask them to email you with something stating it is still covered. this way your definetly covered. whatever you paid for the warranty i bet it will be alot more for the 70xbr2.

post #15084 of 23999 Old 01-10-2007, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboncorr1 View Post

it is very rare that a shop takes this tv out of the home for repairs. i have also been following this thread and some over at the highdefforum and there are not many people going through shops taking the tv out of the home. i would demand a set date for the tvs return and tell sony its not repairable if they can not have it returned by that date. i did hear of 1 case where someone didnt get there tv back for 2 months and the repair shop gave him the run around the whole time.

try to get something in writing as sony will not be able to do anything if the tv takes to long to be repaired since its now the shops responsability.

Argh Let me call Sony again.....
post #15085 of 23999 Old 01-10-2007, 12:45 PM

WOOT! I call Sony back and they gave me a number to another repair service center and they do in-home repair!!! I'm so happy now
post #15086 of 23999 Old 01-10-2007, 12:47 PM

The repair business Sony told me to call took my TV. They looked at it and said it needed a new light engine. They said they would need to get authorization form Sony, order parts, etc. I told them to bring my TV back while all this stuff gets done, which they did. My TV was gone on a Tuesday, and I didn't get it back until the next Monday. Luckily, I had a kick ass 10 year old, 27 inch Magnavox to pinch hit. They'll only take my TV away again when the part has arrived and they are ready to do the work.
post #15087 of 23999 Old 01-10-2007, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

WOOT! I call Sony back and they gave me a number to another repair service center and they do in-home repair!!! I'm so happy now

Excellent good job!
post #15088 of 23999 Old 01-10-2007, 01:23 PM

Quote:

Great news.I hope your repair goes better than mine.FINGERS CROSSED
post #15089 of 23999 Old 01-10-2007, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Called Sony, got a new event number, and the repair shop just ordered me another optical assembly... Great, another half day I have to burn of vacation time. Thanks for the advice RAMBO1680 and bboncorr1!

post #15090 of 23999 Old 01-10-2007, 01:55 PM

Update on the warranty transfer.I was concerned so i called and ask for the manager of HH GREGG. He told me that the warranty was non transferable and i would have to file for a refund from them and sinse it was Sony replacing the set i had to purchase my warranty thru them.Anybody know the cost of warranties as my 5 year was 499.00 from HH GREGG. I do want a warranty and hope they offer a 5 year.Or is there any outside warranty that will work with a sony replacement. thanks
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Sony , Sony Kds R5oxbr1 Kdsr5oxbr1 Lamp With Housing Xl5100
Gear in this thread - Xl5100 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page