Forum Jump: 

post #16321 of 23994 Old 03-02-2007, 01:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnytheSkin View Post

Can someone tell me how to reset the lamp hours in the service menu? I know how to access it and check the hours, now I just need to reset them.

The reason I ask is that I just ordered a new lamp from Best Buy under warranty, with no issues, so that when Chad B comes to calibrate my display in a month he'll have a freshly broken in lamp with little more than a hundred hours (as opposed to having to worry about my calibration getting out of alignment when I would ACTUALLY need to replace the bulb).

Any help would be much appreciated!

Information about service menu
http://www.docs.sony.com/release/KDSR50XBR1_sm.pdf

LAMP TIMER RESET

1. Standby mode. (Power off)

2. DISPLAY > Channel 5 > VOL (+) > TV POWER
on the remote commander.
(Press each button within a second.)

(The following service screen will appear)
VERSION 0 0 SERVICE
VER TV
F/A : xxxxxxxx
CBA : xxxxxxxx

3. Press the JUMP key [3 times].

PANEL NVM OK
0 OPMODE
0 SBINT
Diff 1

4. Press 2 (Twenty times) or 5 on the remote commander to select the category.

PANEL NVM OK
20 Timer
0 LMP
Diff 1

5. Press 1 or 4 (sub category)

PANEL NVM OK
20 Timer
1 LMPRST
Diff 1

5. Then press "3" , "MUTE " and "ENTER " keys in sequence. The
Lamp Time will be reset

6. Press Power (Power off) to get out of SM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16322 of 23994 Old 03-02-2007, 01:36 PM

With regards to the green blob problem: Are there any known technical reasons why the OD goes bad, why a previous new OD did not fix the problem, and why a new one today will fix the problem? I really don't want to end up spending lots of money on this if it is not a fix.

I heard about changes in the new OD by a friend who is having his replaced. I would like to see if anyone else has heard of anything on this.

Thank you!
post #16323 of 23994 Old 03-02-2007, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoGal View Post

With regards to the green blob problem: Are there any known technical reasons why the OD goes bad, why a previous new OD did not fix the problem, and why a new one today will fix the problem? I really don't want to end up spending lots of money on this if it is not a fix.

I heard about changes in the new OD by a friend who is having his replaced. I would like to see if anyone else has heard of anything on this.

Thank you!

So far there have been two known OBs with different part #s. The original which was installed in the pre-Feb 06 XBR1s, and a "redesigned" one that was in the later models. The latter OB is supposedly better than the former but it still does not seem to be a permanent fix, especially when retrofitted into the older sets. If you, rather than Sony under warranty, are paying for the replacement (you really shouldn't have to...Sony should take resonsibility for fixing your set at their cost) I would try to wait a while linger if possible as there have been rumors posted a few pages ago in this thread of a newer OB becoming available (though my contact at Sony NCR is not aware of this).
post #16324 of 23994 Old 03-02-2007, 03:31 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the service menu information!

Now to wait for the bulb...
post #16325 of 23994 Old 03-02-2007, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by DekeHead View Post

cctvtech-

Thanks for the reply! I haven't really noticed any other color uniformity issue. Other than this particular issue, I am pretty well satisfied with the set. And unfortunately it is out of warranty now. Doh! Any ideas what could be happening here?

Are the lines at approximately the same position as the sides of a SD (4:3) picture ends? If so, that may (and I repeat may) be the start of an Optical Block problem. I can't be sure, though.

How far out of warranty? I've seen a few posts where people have been able to get Sony to cover at least part of the repair cost when the failure was not too far out of warranty.

Did you pay with a credit card? Many credit card issuers will double factory warranties, up to an extra year. Check with your card issuer.

Also, although the XBR1's only had a 1 year warranty on the whole set, you might be able to convince Sony to give you longer on the Optical Block since the "A" series and the XBR2 series have 2 years on that part. That way you would only have to pay the labor; not parts (which are over $1000 list).

If you can spare the time, you might want to just keep a close watch on the set to see if the picture detiorates to the point that the problem becomes more obvious.

Be seeing you!
post #16326 of 23994 Old 03-02-2007, 08:35 PM

Here's the latest on Sony's 2007 HDTV model lineup. They're not revealing anything yet on the XBR SXRD sets, but they did announce on the lesser "A" series available this month. Check this out.
http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9691438-1.html
post #16327 of 23994 Old 03-02-2007, 09:21 PM

The 4 consecutive blinking red lights under standby have returned. What I don't understand is why the picture flashes up on the screen for 1 second before it goes completely black and the red light flashes. My wife and son had just watched a movie with no problems. She turned the set off and it sat for 90 minutes. I decided to watch a movie and restarted the system. Nothing. I've removed the lamp about 20 times this evening and re-inserted it. Nothing. I'm beginning to get really p*ssed that I paid almost $5K for this set, delivery and the extended warranty. Did I mention that the extended warranty is with a company that doesn't work on the weekends (not that any authorized service techs do anyway)? Why would they? Who watches their TV on the weekends???
post #16328 of 23994 Old 03-02-2007, 10:16 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanBuck View Post

One great way to test for seeing RBE is use the THX Optimizer that comes on many DVD's. Put it on the screen where you see a large narrow white line circle against a black background. (the test is really to see if your aspect ratio is set properly). Move your eyes back and forth rapidly, and see if you see RBE around the edges of the white lines that make the circle. If you can do this and not see RBE, you should be rainbow proof forever. Even if you see RBE on this test, you may seldom see it in normal viewing.

Yet another way expose this abberation is to wave your hand vigorously left to right...simultaneously peering at the picture through your fingers. Works every time _on any single wheel DLP no matter what content is displayed_.

Consumer grade DLP = RAINBOWS

DIGITAL LIGHT POLLUTION

post #16329 of 23994 Old 03-02-2007, 10:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoUserName22 View Post

The 4 consecutive blinking red lights under standby have returned. What I don't understand is why the picture flashes up on the screen for 1 second before it goes completely black and the red light flashes. My wife and son had just watched a movie with no problems. She turned the set off and it sat for 90 minutes. I decided to watch a movie and restarted the system. Nothing. I've removed the lamp about 20 times this evening and re-inserted it. Nothing. I'm beginning to get really p*ssed that I paid almost $5K for this set, delivery and the extended warranty. Did I mention that the extended warranty is with a company that doesn't work on the weekends (not that any authorized service techs do anyway)? Why would they? Who watches their TV on the weekends???

At least one of your fans has failed and needs replacement. The tv's failsafe circuitry constantly monitors the rpm's of each fan, if even one of them fails you'll get the 4 red blink error message.
post #16330 of 23994 Old 03-03-2007, 06:50 AM

...I did find in a google search last night that this was likely the case.
Has anyone done this repair themselves?
post #16331 of 23994 Old 03-03-2007, 07:24 AM

Quote:

...I did find in a google search last night that this was likely the case.
Has anyone done this repair themselves?

I would advise not getting in to the TV but if you feel you got the tech skills, you could take off rear cover and make sure the

-Fan connector is attached securely

-Fan caught in wires or harnesses.

pg17 (dis-assembly images)
http://www.docs.sony.com/release/KDSR50XBR1_sm.pdf

Kewlk may have further advice on this
post #16332 of 23994 Old 03-03-2007, 08:00 AM

I just did this. Other than dust, everything looks good as new. I'll just wait for the authorized dealer to come out and look at it.
post #16333 of 23994 Old 03-03-2007, 09:29 AM

Quote:

I just did this. Other than dust, everything looks good as new. I'll just wait for the authorized dealer to come out and look at it.

My TV had the same problem. My tech took about 35 minutes to pull much of the guts out to get to the two inside fans. He replaced both of them since it was such a trouble to get to them. The two "outside fans" (that can be seen from the back of the TV) were working fine and didn't need to be replaced.
post #16334 of 23994 Old 03-03-2007, 10:59 AM

Quote:

FYI, when I had my OB replaced in October 2006, after the tech finished the job and fired up the TV, I had flashing red lights with no picture. (can't remember whether it was 3 or 4 red lights.) Tech determined that the Lamp was not making proper contact when fully inserted. He soldered some contact inside the tv and it has been fine everysince.

So maybe the lamp is making intermittent contact which would explain it being ok then nothing...

Hope this helps
post #16335 of 23994 Old 03-03-2007, 01:50 PM

After more than a month communicating with Sony (politely & firm), they had finally delivered 2 brand new 60" XBR2's, and a week later, 2 new matching stands. I setup the first one and picture is really good, no color uniformity at all for now. Color out of the box is better than my 72" Tosh but I still like my Tosh better because the image is sharper.

The stand comes pre-assembled and is heavy at 90 kilograms. It feels like twice the weight of the TV and of course like almost everything else, its Made In China. This is a much better stand than the old one, design wise and function wise. Only thing is, its bigger because it is used for the 70" too.

Being rectangular instead of triangular, I can not want push it into the corner as far as previous stand. The second TV should be no problem because it sits flatly against the wall.

Both TV's comes with spare lamp. The picture is exceeding bright so I try to change Power Save mod from Auto to On, but this did not seems to do anything. S0 what is this Power Save Auto mod?
post #16336 of 23994 Old 03-03-2007, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Nearly four months after the green blob first appeared on my 50" XBR1, I finally received a replacement 60" XBR2. After going through the menus and adjusting things to ny liking, I am happy with the picture again. It does have areas of purple or green discolorations for the first 10 minutes or so, but after that it looks excellent.

The only problem is that the top of the screen is much higher and we are now looking up slightly at the screen.

Be seeing you!
post #16337 of 23994 Old 03-03-2007, 06:19 PM

Just to add my recent experience, lol. I own a 50" XBR1, build date Feb. '06. From day one, I could see a green haze on the Memory Stick function. Interestingly enough, that green haze was absent when watching black & white or even all white (i.e. snow) standard and HD content. In the last 6 months, it graduated to a green upper right corner that kept getting bigger. As an FYI, I was stupid enough not to buy an EW from BB when I bought the unit in mid March '06.

I ~did~ have a BB service rep come out 29 days after I purchased the unit with the intent of swapping it out for a new unit due to the haze on the memory stick function. At the time, the tech rep convinced me to wait to see if it got worse since the actual picture was not affected. I waited until early Feb '07 (green area now fist sized) and lo and behold, the SAME tech rep from BB came out, spent about 5 minutes chatting with me, looked at my encroaching green friend and said he would order a new OB.

OB finally came in and was replaced last week in about an hour.

Status- Happy viewing sans anything even close to green, purple or any other color than it should be. Now that my Sony 1 year warranty has now passed........I guess we shall see if the problem returns.

post #16338 of 23994 Old 03-04-2007, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john18 View Post

Welcome to Friday.

I don't understand the joke, do you mean I've been had?
post #16339 of 23994 Old 03-04-2007, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cctvtech View Post

..........The only problem is that the top of the screen is much higher and we are now looking up slightly at the screen.

Did you not get the matching stand?

When they deliver the replacement TV, they didn't deliver the stand. Sony insisted that the old XBR1 stand is ok for the XBR2, in fact it is not because XBR2 has a larger foot print so it will not fit into the cut out for XBR1, the TV sit higher by an inch.
post #16340 of 23994 Old 03-04-2007, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxHuey View Post

I don't understand the joke, do you mean I've been had?

No. It meant that for at least the last 2-3 weeks there had been trolls who had posted certain things late on Fridays when the moderators were less likely to be online and the post would stay up longer. I was really saying that to someone else and not ** at ** you.
post #16341 of 23994 Old 03-04-2007, 01:55 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
HDMI Handshake Problem:

My 60XBR1 set definitely has this. I had my set out for a few weeks because of the humongous green haze problem(refer to my history for a description of the problem). Anyway, I had an HP 37inch LCD as a replacement for the duration. NOT ONCE WITH THE HP, I GOT THE HDMI PROBLEM.

THen once my XBR1 was repaired, guess what, 3 hours later, I turn my tv on again and voila, I get the HDMI handshake problem , though it was not quite the SOLID GREEN PICTURE BLOCK(usually 4x3 or 16x9) you get when this problem occurs. I got a message about the HDMI standard or something being not comformed to or out of synch. I forget the exact wording. I had to cycle through the inputs to get rid of the problem. And Since that day, I have been getting the usual green solid screen HDMI problem 4-6 times a week for the last 2 weeks or so.
post #16342 of 23994 Old 03-04-2007, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebigfoot View Post

This is exactly the situation with my 50XBR1. It is currently in the shop (two weeks) returning on Tuesday. Hopefully, I will have the same good results. Will keep you posted.

I have had Sony TV's for thirty years without problems. This does not go well for Sony with the laptop battery recall, the digital camera recall and now this. We all pay more for Sony equipment not expecting these types of problems. Hopefully, Sony will make us all whole.

Well the set was returned on Tuesday, it is now Sunday, and the pink is coming back on the bottom of the screen. At least it's in a different spot.

The picture also appears to be much darker.
post #16343 of 23994 Old 03-04-2007, 07:07 AM

Hi,

I have had this HDMI Handshake issue from day one when I received my 3rd replacement set for the Green Haze/Blob issue. This replacement set was delivered in April 2006. The sets picture was perfect so I dealt with the solid green screen I got every time I turned on my only HDMI device; Cox Motorola Cable Box. I scroll through all the inputs and it sinks up the after the first or second pass. At first I thought it was the cable box but I have another TV with HDMI and never a Green Screen and I have asked others using same cable box with HDMI and other sets and no one has issue. The other thing I have noticed is; if I have the cable box off and turn on the TV first my cable box will display some code while it is off.

Is there a fix for this issue? Besides scrolling through all the inputs a few times.

Is this issue also present on the XBR2?

Thanks.....
post #16344 of 23994 Old 03-04-2007, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMP2722 View Post

Hi,

I have had this HDMI Handshake issue from day one when I received my 3rd replacement set for the Green Haze/Blob issue. This replacement set was delivered in April 2006. The sets picture was perfect so I dealt with the solid green screen I got every time I turned on my only HDMI device; Cox Motorola Cable Box. I scroll through all the inputs and it sinks up the after the first or second pass. At first I thought it was the cable box but I have another TV with HDMI and never a Green Screen and I have asked others using same cable box with HDMI and other sets and no one has issue. The other thing I have noticed is; if I have the cable box off and turn on the TV first my cable box will display some code while it is off.

Is there a fix for this issue? Besides scrolling through all the inputs a few times.

Is this issue also present on the XBR2?

Thanks.....

I, too, have same problem. What I do is when whole screen is green, I turn HD channel on and it goes away. Usually, it happens when TV is turned on from anoloag channel.
post #16345 of 23994 Old 03-04-2007, 08:00 AM

Interesting Raymond177 I couldn't figure out why it didn't happen sometimes and I think you are right if the set was on a HD channel it wont do it.
post #16346 of 23994 Old 03-04-2007, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxHuey View Post

Did you not get the matching stand?

No. I don't have room for a stand that size. It would bring the TV too far out from the corner of the room, where it sits. A full size stand would block a HVAC floor register and to avoid it the TV would have to be 2 feet closer to the couch.

My stand is 44" wide by 20" deep and was selected to fit the 50". The height of the stand put the center of the screen at eye level. With the 60", the center of the screen is nearly a foot higher.

Be seeing you!
post #16347 of 23994 Old 03-04-2007, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

Since Sony is aware of these issues, has anyone heard about them extending the one-year manufacturer's warranty?

I'm finding that I get the temporary image retention and a slight yellow haze on the top right (visible primarily on gray scenes). The problem is that my one year ended on February 28! I'm also scared that I'll be stuck in repair hell with multiple optical blocks that only make the picture worse, assuming Sony will do anything (it's still a GREAT picture now).

I also have a new lamp coming this week from Best Buy and Chad B is coming to calibrate my set on April 6...something I've been waiting for eagerly (just moved to a place he'll service).

Any help or suggestions would be MUCH appreciated.
post #16348 of 23994 Old 03-04-2007, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnytheSkin View Post

Since Sony is aware of these issues, has anyone heard about them extending the one-year manufacturer's warranty?

I'm finding that I get the temporary image retention and a slight yellow haze on the top right (visible primarily on gray scenes). The problem is that my one year ended on February 28! I'm also scared that I'll be stuck in repair hell with multiple optical blocks that only make the picture worse, assuming Sony will do anything (it's still a GREAT picture now).

I also have a new lamp coming this week from Best Buy and Chad B is coming to calibrate my set on April 6...something I've been waiting for eagerly (just moved to a place he'll service).

Any help or suggestions would be MUCH appreciated.

I would not recommend having the set ISF calibrated with a bad OB since the picture will probably continue to deteriorate and that would throw off any calibration; as would replacing the OB. Ask umr.

Be seeing you!
post #16349 of 23994 Old 03-04-2007, 10:51 AM

ok im confused here....someone please help me out:

I have the green "lines" that are visible (but disappear) around where the side black bars are on non-widescreen shows...i also have a "burn in" effect that goes away after a while.....

does this mean i have a bad OB? or what is the "beginning" of a bad ob....i mean, will it get worse?

I hear different things....some people say it NEVER gets worse, some people say it will continue to deterriorate....

i don't want to go through the hassle of getting 2-3 obs replaced if the problem doesnt get worse....because right now its not that bad, i mean i can live with it....

any thoughts from those of you who have been through this?

THANKS!!!!!!
post #16350 of 23994 Old 03-04-2007, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john18 View Post

No. It meant that for at least the last 2-3 weeks there had been trolls who had posted certain things late on Fridays when the moderators were less likely to be online and the post would stay up longer. I was really saying that to someone else and not ** at ** you.

No problem there, just I didn't undersand about these "troll" thingie , if they are there, I don't see them on my screen so far...maybe I am not smart enough to recognize them but I am happy as a clam now that I got 2 brand new XBR2.

Cheers
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Sony , Sony Kds R5oxbr1 Kdsr5oxbr1 Lamp With Housing Xl5100
Gear in this thread - Xl5100 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page